Vikings Welcome Defending NCAA Men’s Hockey Champs To MOA Field On Thursday

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on August 31, 2011 – 1:11 pm

The Vikings are honored to welcome the University of Minnesota Duluth men’s hockey team to Mall of America Field tomorrow night for the team’s final preseason game of 2011 vs. the Houston Texans.  The Bulldogs captured their first ever NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey title last spring thanks to a 3-2 overtime victory over Michigan at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul in the championship game of the Frozen Four.

Sophomore forward J.T. Brown, who was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Frozen Four, is the son of former Vikings running back Ted Brown and will sound the Gjallarhorn prior to the game.  vikings.com’s Mike Wobschall recapped Brown’s freshman season that was capped off in grand fashion this past spring.  All returning members of the team, including a few players who have moved on but are still in the state of Minnesota, along with members of the UMD coaching staff will be in attendance.

Brown had 37 points in 42 games as a freshman and four of those points came in the Bulldogs’ four NCAA Tournament games.

The Bulldogs begin the 2011-12 season on Oct. 7 when they host the Notre Dame Fighting Irish for a pair of games at Amsoil Arena before opening WCHA play the following weekend against the Minnesota Golden Gophers in Duluth.

Posted in All | 43 Comments »

43 Responses to “Vikings Welcome Defending NCAA Men’s Hockey Champs To MOA Field On Thursday”

1. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get this blog lit up!

2. By koolie on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Let get the TAGS up to date. Is it that hard?

3. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

But the filament burnt out on my last bulb…

4. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Maybe those tags are like a Vikings hall of fame.

5. By Mike B. on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Just notice they removed McKinney from the Tags. If you’re going to remove some of the older players need to remove the rest. It’s not right to remvoe McKinney and not remove the rest. I was going ot say it was no big deal until I noticed big mac was no longer in the tags portion. Now it’s biased.

6. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Nice catch Mike. I just looked over the list myself, and found that the other 4-starting linemen are on the list, even though two or three of them were significantly less notable than McKinnie.

Brad Childress and Brett Favre are still commanding a large portion. Surprisingly, Wobschall hasn’t even gotten rid of Moss yet, whom I would have expected to be first on his list of cuts.

Others no longer with the team include Ben Leber, Benny Sapp (2yrs), Brian Murphy, Chester Taylor (2yrs), Darius Reynaud, Darrell Bevell, Pat Williams, Sage Rosenfels (2yrs), Sidney RIce & Tarvaris Jackson.

That’s 13-players/coahces who need to be removed! Somebody needs to get off their keister.

7. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Childress is the biggest one! Ha ha ha. But Moss is as small as they get, so Parody, maybe Mike is sending a message.

8. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

A blogger last year said Childress was related to Mike.

9. By CA Norwegian on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Webmeisters! I think they want these people here when searches happen . Say someone wants to learn about Childress’ season records with the team, and they do searches on Childress… My guess is the font size is enlarged the more made bigger, the more times the search engines take a look.

10. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

anyone else worried about Ben Leiber being hurt?

11. By Mike B. on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

You mean Ben Lieber or Jasper Brinkley? It is definatley a concern as he was the number one back up for EJ.

12. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

…. Jasper

13. By Daniel on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Ya, this topic sucks.

14. By Mike B. on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Solid back ups are hard to find there Skol.

15. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Either way Lineback depth is weaksauce right now

16. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I havent really given a hole lot of thought to the Linebackers because quite frankly ours have done so well over the last few years it hasn’t really been a topic of discussion.,

17. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Titus – I remember someone making the claim that Childress and Wobby were related as well. He indicated that was how Wobby got the job.

Maybe Mike is sending a message, but from my understanding of how the sizing works (which I’m about to explain), it may just be a coincidence.

CA Norwegian – I’m fairly certain that the size of the names are dependant on the number of times a name is Tagged in these blogs. Nobody was Tagged in this blog, so you’ll have to look at one of the others to see what I’m referring to.

At the end of the blogs’ text, there is a “Tags” section with linked names of all the Vikings personnel mentioned in the blog. Clicking on one of the links will take you to a page that includes ALL the blogs that have Tagged the selected person.

So, it’s possible that the site administrator would need to go to each blog where every former person was Tagged in, and remove their tags one by one. The fact that the effort has already been spent on removing Bryant though, makes the argument even stronger that they should be working on cleaning out all the former personnel.

18. By Mike B. on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@Skol They do have Larry Dean who say is a very good undrafted rookie. They picked up David Herron too and I heard they even tried putting a player in the Linebacker spot. So there are backups availible.

19. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Let the tags be, I don’t care. I want a win on Sept 11.

20. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@Skol_Vikes98 – I’d like to look at the linebacker situation a bit more positively. Our starters are all healthy and performing well. The comfort of solid depth behind them has gotten shakey, but don’t rule them as dead as 2010’s CBs just yet. We brough in the best LB coach in the NFL this year, so I’m confident that he can rebuild the depth that we need to make sure that the LB position remains dominant this year.

21. By Vikings4Life on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Give cedric mckinnley a better look also awasom, ballard and griffen, should also throw in tremaine johnson.

22. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B – That “player” that they are trying out in the position is Everson Griffen, which sounds like a good idea to me. I remember hearing that the experts considered his talent to be first round quality in last year’s draft, so it would be nice to see his talent get more field time. Chances are that he’d be used in 3-4 packages as a blizting LB, since that’s usually what teams seem to be doing with players who are considered DE/LB hybrids.

23. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Can someone clarify something for me? I was at the game on Saturday, and was confused when the announcer mentioned LB Washington on a couple of tackles. I was too far away to see the name on on his jersey, but I’m pretty certain that Washington was cut a few days before the game, and David Herron came in and took his jersey number (58).

Does anyone know if Washington was still playing in Saturday’s game, or was the announcer just ambiguous to the recent moves within the team?

24. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Try asking Mr. Google.

25. By Mike B. on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@Parody That was Herron the swap was made on Thursday before the game. Check the transactions link.

26. By Parody on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

That’s what I thought. I just would have expected the stadium announcers to print out a current depth chart before setting up for the game.

27. By Mike B. on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

BTW the injury bug is happening all over the league right now. I am wondering if with the lock out that the players are not in shape to start playing games. Several Teams are really getting hit with injuries. What do you all think?

28. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

There should be a bloopers of all the gaffs by announcers. Sometimes they even call the wrong team — Green Bay just scored (when Green Bay did not have the ball — or worse Green Bay is not on the field).

29. By mnsoldier on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

the only reason the vikes are having the team at the dome is because of Ted browns son, otherwise they wouldnt even notice the team, rather a racist thing for them to go dont you think?

30. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Racist? No. The son of a former running back for the Vikings is an alumni type of connection and I don’t see why you bring that up. Please explain.

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Racist?????????????????????????????????????????????????

32. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Nova, let’s let him explain– I really want to understand.

33. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Yeah Titus, I would kind of like to hear that explanation myself……can’t sleep tonight.

34. By ozzinator on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus
    That was the whiney liberal “firedchildress” who said Wobby and Chilly were related. Coming from him though, who knows…….

35. By Mike B. on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

I don’t see a reason for this article to be in the blog part of the webpage. It should be above and the Jasper Brinkley article should be here. It’s nice to know they are giving the team some recognition, but is it really something we are going to blog about?

36. By Rocksalt on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Congrats to the UMD Bulldogs- NCAA HOCKEY CHAMPIONS! GO BULLDOGS!

37. By Rocksalt on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

As for the IDIOTIC TAGS………IT IS DWNRIGHT EMBARRAS.SING.No other team is so careless with their website…….C,Mon…this reflects poorly on this whole organization…….UPDATE THE D@MN THING!

38. By Titus on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

See Rocksalt— exactly what I have been saying– reflects poorly. Let’s do everything first class.

39. By Rocksalt on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Agreed, Titus.

40. By (̅_̅_̅_̅(̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅̅_̅()ڪے on May 15, 2012 | Reply

t

41. By ̿̿’̿’\̵͇̿̿\з==(•̪●)==ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ on May 15, 2012 | Reply

g

42. By ╔╦╦╦═╦╗╔═╦═╦══╦═╗ ║║║║╩╣╚╣═╣║║║║║╩╣ ╚══╩═╩═╩═╩═╩╩╩╩═╝ on May 15, 2012 | Reply

gg

2. Aug 31, 2011: FEATURED VIKINGS ARTICLE: Vikings Welcome Defending NCAA Men’s Hockey Champs To MOA Field On Thursday | The Viking Ship | Minnesota Vikings Blog