Vikings Trim Roster, Waive 10

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 29, 2011 – 6:05 am

NFL teams were allowed to have 90 players on their training camp rosters, but must trim that number to 85 early this week.

In an effort to comply with the NFL’s roster requirements, the Vikings have waived the following players: DB Chris Adingupu, OL Conan Amituanai, TE Ed Barham, QB Rhett Bomar, DB Simeon Castille, LB Jonathan Gilmore, WR Andre Holmes, LB Kyle O’Donnell, K Nate Whitaker and DT Colby Whitlock.

The Vikings now have 80 players on the roster and the NFL requires teams to be at 53 players by September 4.

27 Responses to “Vikings Trim Roster, Waive 10”

1. By sandimond on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

wow the waiver wires are rolling out in a hurry. from last week a few notables: Tenn signed wr kevin curtis. Phil waived rb derrick locke(vikings already signed and released this year). Oak signed cb lito sheppard. GB waived te spencer havner

2. By vikefan1969 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

The cuts made did not seem to be to tough…it is the down to 53 that will be hard, we are seeing some really nice talent on the team, a guy I hope we dont try to sneak to the PS is D. Love…he will be a solid guy and imo could be a starter at LT in the near future…has good foot work and hands, seeing him tkae the defender out of the play on passing downs.
    He could even step in as a guard or RT ….guy was a great steal in this draft.

3. By Vikings4Life on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Vikes need to study the 3-4 defense more because this year they will face many 3-4 defensive blitzing teams, If I were the vikes I would get the players ready and make them watch film. This o-line will have a long year if they cannot read the 3-4 defense they did well against dallas but I am not going to put all my eggs in one basket over one good game this team needs to be consistent and get rid of turnovers and create more turnovers.

4. By mamamamdy on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Don’t cut Sherels! Great young talent.

5. By steven on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

to bad thetf iedl goal was blocked that dallas guy cheated and the refs didnt call it

6. By Carl K on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Vikingfan1955- I like D Love too… but on that TD run by Webb. Love was beat by his man and Webb stepped up and made a nice play. I like the fact that Webb stepped up in the pocket first, before taking off. D. Love stayed with his man and didn’t give up… I will give him some credit.

7. By Alex Collyard on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I was excited about Whitaker, but never heard a peep out of him throughout camp and the preseason. I’m wondering how much longer Longwell can play? If not this year, we better get someone next year to start grooming for the starting role. Most kickers can kick, not all can kick with 11 guys running straight at them. He must not have had a good camp, otherwise why waste the roster spot when you could have brought in another LB or DB to beef up the competition?

8. By Carl K on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike, I like the live game chat. I am sure that is not any easy job. Thanks.

Who is the vikings.com person that helps you? Can that person help a little more with color commentary. Add some insight and personality… tell us what formations the Vikings are in… who is in the game and lined up where. What formations the other team is using against us.

More game details… and I think you will have something very nice. Thanks..

9. By Carl K on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

The Bears really like RB Marion Barber and RB Kahlil Bell. PFT says Chester Taylor will be cut. Will the Vikings try to sign C Taylor?

10. By Mark B on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Ouch … 53 by Sunday – good luck guys, there will be some tough cuts.

Carl – I don’t see the Vikes going after Taylor and staying with AP, Gerhardt and Booker as the RB that make the roster.

11. By Carl K on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Mark B- I don’t either! Would the 49ers trade for Gerhart? (Harbaugh was his college coach).
    Is Taylor better than Booker?
    I am not sure what to think? I am just asking?

12. By Steve monastero on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Someone PLEASE get in contact with leslie frazer and tell him to pick up andre gurode ! We need a center and he just got cut . PICK HIM UP !!!

13. By Derik on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I’d like to see Andre Holmes make it on the PS. He needs to put on some more bulk but has great height. Needs more time to develop route running but looks to have good hands.

14. By TJ on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Who replaced lebers starting spot? and who is our starting fullback since tahi left the team?

15. By sandra on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Don’t cut Michael Jenkins. He’s an asset to the Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By PURPLEBLOOD on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

wait on it , wait on it , we`ll be fine ! I THINK WE HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY IN THE NORTH &THE LEAGUE PERIOD, SO WAIT ON IT ITS COMING!!! GO VIKESSSS.

17. By tgohde on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I dont see the Vikes chasing Taylor again. I think we have enough talent with Gerhardt and Booker. Love won’t be cut either, due to him being a draft pick this year and our need at OL. We should go after James Saunders who was suprisingly cut by New England and even the all pro center cut by Dallas!!!!!

18. By robert on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

i think the vikings should make a trade to get larry fitzgerald watever it takes get it done our offense would be unstopable overall vikes coachs are doing a great job and im excited about this season.

19. By benchwammer purple spud on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

keep your eyes on decker ( wide rec. from Gophers) if he gets cut pick him up!
    he is better then most out there, and we need one.

20. By vikings4seven on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I would take chester back in a heart beat. I just do not get the hype with Toby G. I know he is young in the league, but he has done nothing for me to believe he could ever replace adrian if needed. Adrian is beyond special but if toby was to replace him i believe it would be brutal. Give him 2 more years and see what comes of him, then move on.

21. By Arrow86 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K:

My thought on Chester is, despite his size he was a good back at picking up the blitz. He also only had one or two seasons as a feature back, and he rushed for over 1,000 yards. He has a lot of tread on the tires, as he hasn’t had to take the down after down pounding for much of his careers. He reminds me of Priest Holmes in his prime. If they could make it fit under the cap, I’d take Taylor, Keep Lorenzo, and A.P. Gerhardt has value on the market to be someone’s feature back now. But then again, I’m just a fan, not the G.M.

22. By PUGZ on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

keep emmanuel arceneaux he’s good

23. By kyle on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Erin Henderson replaced Leber at the WLB.

24. By colby wilken on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

MY HAT’S OFF TO THE VIKINGS,THEY REALLY PULLED IT OFF.I DIDN’T THINK THEY COULD!!!!!!!!!

25. By sandiamond on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

today notable cuts so far

alex brown de
    na’il diggs lb
    d. mcdaniel cb rookie

26. By viking fan21 on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

where will rookie center brandon fusco be come this weekends final cuts?

27. By BleedPurple on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

If we get rid of Sherels, we should be shot. Overall this year looks promising and I believe McNabb will return to his AllPro status : )