Ponder To Start Thursday; “Opportunities” Remain For Roster Spots

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 29, 2011 – 2:34 pm

After the build-up and importance we attach to the 3rd preseason game, it’s easy to write-off the 4th preseason game as meaningless. But in Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier’s eyes, the Vikings preseason finale will be anything but meaningless.

For starters, 1st-round draft pick Christian Ponder will get the start at QB. Ponder and Joe Webb have been alternating turns at QB for the entire training camp and preseason, and Thursday’s game will be a continuation of that rotation. But it sounds like the game will also be another opportunity for Ponder and Webb to create some separation in their competition for the backup job behind veteran Donovan McNabb.

“It’s a big game for not only for our quarterbacks, but for a lot of guys trying to make our roster,” Frazier said on Monday after practice. “But we definitely want to see both guys – Christian, along with Joe – create some separation for that number two (quarterback) spot. Maybe this game will be an indication of which guy will be number two.”

Frazier said the main thing he’ll be looking for from Ponder on Thursday night is continued improvement. Whom exactly Ponder – and Webb – will be playing with on Thursday night remains to be seen. Frazier didn’t indicate whether any first-team players would line up with Ponder early in Thursday’s game.

The focus on Thursday will not be exclusively on the QB position, however. Frazier indicated there are plenty of positions still open for competition, even in the starting lineup.

“We still have some competitive work to be done at certain positions,” Frazier said. “I think the guys know going into this final game there are still some opportunities for them to make our team and help our team improve at a number of different spots. So we do have certain spots where we know we have our starters in place, but we have some places up for [grabs] as well.”

Frazier didn’t get into specifics as to which positions are still open, but a few areas to watch include: FB/TE, WRs #4-6, reserve DL, LB and OL and starting safety opposite Husain Abdullah. There are likely also several special teams positions still up for grabs, including at punt returner.

106 Responses to “Ponder To Start Thursday; “Opportunities” Remain For Roster Spots”

1. By Carl K on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall- Jaymar Johnson has a 21.3yrd punt return average on 3 attempts. That is outstanding! What else does he need to do to win that job?
    Has he not looked good in practice? Does he not have good hands?

2. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

WR

Harvin
    Jenkins
    Aromashadu
    Jaymar
    Iglesias
    Arceneaux

CUT THE 30 YEAR OLD 30 CATCH BERRIAN !!!!!

3. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I hope we dont lose the young 23 year old Iglesias and Arceneaux for the washed up never has been 30 year old Bernard Berrian … whats he got another 2 30-40 catch seasons before hes out of the league

Iglesias and Arceneaux have shown ability greater than Berrian and they are 7 years younger

4. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Berrian has made 1 play this whole preseason and he gets an article because he made a play

5. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Mike W .. Since Berrian made a play will he be getting a raise?

I hope not hes still overpaid

6. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Favre ignored Berrian 4 a reason …. Berrian is a chump

7. By animal26 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

safety James Sanders was just released from the Patriots. The Vikings should really consider looking at him. He would improve the secondary for the Vikings.

8. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Cant believe all the hype Mike Wobs gives this WR that has never had 1000 yards or 10 TDs … how long has he been in the league?

9. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Its amazing how press and media can change reality just by repeating the same thing over and over … its nothing more than brainwashing at its simplist

10. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss could walk in today and double whatever Berrian is capable of …

Berrian might have 700 yards and 8 TDs

Moss x2 , deal with it

11. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

The same positive lies repeated several hundred times about Berrian has made many fans believe he is special

Its the same negative lies repeated several hundred times about Moss has made many fans forget what special REALLY IS !!!

12. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Monday morning mailbag has become so predictable

13. By animal26 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Shaw, I agree with you 100%

14. By Rocksalt on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Shawn- You’re all wired, man….

15. By Rocksalt on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

what happenede to the rainbows and unicorns, man?

16. By zach on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

do you guys think that rookie center brandon fusco will make the team?

17. By brockjn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Zach, I hope Fusco makes the team! He is better than Sullivan already, and is a lot bigger which means he probably wont get pushed around so easily. And Shawn I def agree with you on the Berrian statements. The guy is an all around turd. The light does shine on a turd once and awhile and that once was he caught a 49 yrd pass. Who cares Berrian? Oh yeah and he caught a 15 yrd pass. Big whoop! Maybe that s%itty attitude of yours Berrian can be served at another team ya panzee! BERRIAN SUCKS!

18. By rgnac on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Will be looking forward to see this final game which imo is always a great chance to see what we have in the youth and depth of the team…guys I am looking at more is D Love who is looking like a great pick to me…as well as M Raymod and of course Sherels…also Cooper and Fusco (sp) at center and Homan.

19. By zach on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

i think fusco looks great out there especially for a 6th round pick from a DII school it would be very disappointing to not see him make this team!

20. By Rick on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I think Fusco makes the team, but as a member of the practice squad. I don’t think we’ll hear from him for another year or two, but I do love his potential. He’s a big kid who apparently has a mean streak when on the field, which is what we need on our O-Line.

21. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Berrian is the next Moss.

22. By monty on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

The realization for this team is that its time to bring in some new talent, that is a little hungrier. Barrian in the past has played well, but I think this team needs more.

23. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Except for Favre in the 2009 season, McNabb could be the best quarterback we’ve had since Jeff George.

24. By Viking Joe on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Culpepper wasn’t bad, Jeff George was lucky he even got signrd by the Vikes, besides that’s ancient history, McNabb will be fine !!!

25. By Viking Joe on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

signed

26. By Nicholas on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Shawn

I like your WR depth chart and agree on cutting Berrian : ) If he doesn’t perform in the first few games of the season… I really hope they decide to cut him and free up a roster spot.

I really like the direction we are headed overall , though. Our coaching is SOOO much better…which basically makes or breaks absolutely everything.

27. By GMan on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Berrian is soft. Yeah – he can run…but so could most players in the league if they were 6’1″ – 155 lbs. He’s a panty-waist. I could whip his butt and I’m older than him and out of shape. Come out to Wyoming Bernard, and I’ll whip your butt.

28. By Jeffbleedspurple on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

They made a big deal from that catch Barrian took from McNabb, I seen a picture of that catch and the pass was so dead on it hit him right in the numbers, what is funny is you can see the ball in his chest but his hands still up like he is still going after the ball, the ball caught Barrian, he didn’t catch that pass, a 10 year old could have caught that pass, SUPRISE! Berrian, the ball is in your chest, ddaaahh aahhh!! where that come from? hahaha can him!!

29. By CA Norwegian on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Does it really matter what we think of BB? McNabb has given his blessing. I think the man paying him has given his blessing. He has done great things in a great league.

Does it really matter what anyone outside of the nfl thinks of Moss? Shawn and all the major moss fans, please start your own franchise and stop whining.

30. By Rudso on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, why do you keep posting multiple messages right after each other on the same topic??? Just type up 1 message and post it or are you doing it to get attention?

31. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I never was impressed with Culpepper. I know his numbers were good, but it seemed he often got rattled and made errant throws when we needed the big play.

32. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

And when he rolled his arms after a score — that was horrible.

33. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Imagine if we got Moss and TO signed.

34. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Is the Texan game worth watching? No starters playing?

35. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, how am I doing?

36. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Maybe if I get to a hundred postings in a row, I can go to bed.

37. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I took a little break– still no responses. Here is number 7.

38. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … LOL , I think I might be starting to see your humor

Berrian the next Moss LOL …. you mean ex Viking WR / retired

and to back me on the blog roll … good stuff :)

39. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@rock … yea after reading MMM and the Berrian article, I had to vent :)

40. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I felt better and had the perfect number of posts

41. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

had I kept posting it might have become tiresome for too many

42. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

:) :) :) :)

43. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … I think the Texan game might be a napper especially the 2nd half

44. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

but Ill do my best to watch it

45. By Viking fan on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I think Brandon Fusco is a very talented player as well and I think that without the lockout this kid would be the starting center in the near future any other takes

46. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

:) :) :) :) :) :0

47. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I noticed that the Eagles just gave Vick a huge contract. 42 years in dog years.

48. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

If “All dogs go to heaven”, at least they’ll never run into him there.

49. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I was reading earlier this year that the whole idea of equating dog years into human years is flawed and there is a new calculation. The old way was 7 yrs of humans equaled 1 year in a dog’s life. Not so, in the new way.

50. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

So, Nova, did Vick get the old dog years or the new dog life?

51. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Frankly, I believe science a lot of times is pure conjecture.

52. By Frederick Jones on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

You are complaining about Culpepper’s TD celebration?

What’s the diff between my postings? I still think that
    the McNabb and company celebration on the sideline was
    unprofessional, and disrespectful to the Vikings still playing in
    the game.

Eller, Marshall, and Page would have let them know RIGHT QUICK
    that they were in the wrong ! !

53. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I read the same article. It makes sense, I’ve had dogs that lived to 14 and 15. Anyway, the killer got a six-year contract.

54. By Frederick Jones on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

The modern NFL player tends to be materialistic and selfish.

Actually it was a dance in the end zone by wide receiver from another
    team that really set me off. He looked like an ugly go go dancer.
    Disgusting. We don’t need it.

I don’t really like Jared Allen’s sack celebration either, although it’s tame
    compared to the other junk we are submitted to week after week.

55. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Fred, I thought you loved McNabb. You sung his praises long before we signed him. Everything okay? You seem different from the Fred from last season. Impostor?

56. By Frederick Jones on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

Donavan McNabb is a great player, and I am glad we signed him.
    He automatically became one of our leaders when he came here.

I could see Tarkenton do the same kind of impersonations with
    his friends, BUT NEVER ON THE SIDELINES DURING A GAME !

I always like Culpepper and thought he was a great player,
    but I never liked the TD celebration. Apparently it has
    some deep meaning for him, that I cannot recall.

57. By Frederick Jones on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

When I coached I always spent some time cautioning the players to avoid
    disrespecting the other team.

There is nothing wrong with being happy you scored, but don’t tease your opponent, it could come back to haunt you !

58. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I must have missed the shenanigans– I was at a CD release party for a band from Togo- gospel and reggae mix. What did McNabb do?

59. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Well, Nova, Vick can buy a lot of purina dog chow now.

60. By Rye on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Still not sold on BB. Hope I’m wrong. Really like Aromashadu and a few of the other young receivers.

61. By RWF1984 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I also agree with Shawn’s WR chart. I like Arceneaux and believe he didn’t get much opportunity and I know the catch in Seattle was good until stripped, but I believe that would have happened to any young WR. The catch down the sideline against the Cowboys shows that he could (IMO) would be better than Berrian. Berrian had a good TD catch, but if you were to watch closely at that play he almost dropped it! That shouldn’t get an article because it was a TD IMO and many others! Some may disagree, but like I said Shawn’s depth chart is what I am hoping for!

62. By purplefizz on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@fred jones. i know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all but dont you think that you’re going a little overboard with the sideline incident? it seems if you’re trying to make something big out of something so small. those guys are having fun out there and id rather see that then players yelling and disrespecting eachother.

63. By anthony(brooklyn) on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Guys and gals! Let’s stay positive. Berrian will be forced to make his $$ this season! I wanna see ponder and webb open up offense more. True story that worries me is our D! Skol vikings! Let’s hope for a good luck winning season!

64. By Adam on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to take the positive aspect of Berrian’s catch and use it to fuel my optimism. With any luck, he will continue to get to where he used to be in ’08. You also have to note that he used speed and some agility move to shake the Cornerback off a little in that play. 30 or not he moved good.

65. By Woodboat on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Watched the replay on NFL network tonight of the Cowboys game. Loadholts name got called by Mayock several times…. and never in a positive way. Dude gets beat like a mouthy orphan. If the refs actually called false starts, he’d get nailed every play. I’d quit worrying about Sullivan and start worrying about Phil if I were you. Sullivan can play a little, Loadholt not so much.

66. By sandiamond on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

glad to hear Frazier speak about the waiver wire. We are active! unlike some years past

usa today mentions only 4 from monday’s cuts
    Gurode c DAL was due 5.5 mill
    Sanders cb NE was due 2.84 mill
    Rayner kicker DET
    V. Gholston de CHI

67. By PAUL M. on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

FINALLY, WE HAVE NOT JUST 1, BUT 2 GREAT YOUNG QB’s. IT’S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING WHERE I CAN FINALLY ENJOY THE SEASONS WHERE WE DIDN’T HAVE ANOTHER “DRIFTER” LEADING OUR TEAM.

RIGHT NOW I GIVE THE EDGE TO PONDER. HE SEEMS MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE POCKET AND SEEMS TO READ WHAT THE D IS DOING BETTER — BUT I AM SUPER EXCITED TO WATCH WEBB DEVELOP ALSO!!

68. By borgis on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

that’s funny about the vick dog years thing, the nfl definetly got that whole thing wrong. dead,slaughtered dogs,jail time, MAN of the YEAR.E.J. is the only 2010 man of the year

69. By PAUL M. on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

ALSO, THE FRONT OFFICE IS – I’M SURE – CLOSELY MONITORING THIS WEEK’S CUTS!

THERE WILL BE SOME VALUABLE WR’s, FOR EXAMPLE, WHICH MUST BE CUT BY THE CARDINALS. THEY HAVE 9 CONTENDERS FOR THEIR STARTING WR SPOTS.

I DON’T KNOW WHICH TEAMS MAY HAVE TOO MANY QUALITY CB’s, D-LINEMEN, O-LINEMEN (RARE), OR LB’s. WE NEED TO KEEP A SHARP LOOK-OUT BECAUSE WE HAVE NEEDS, SUCH AS AT LB WITH ALL OUR INJURIES.

70. By RR on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

My Prediction for WR’s:

Percy Harvin
    Bernard Berrian
    Devin Aromashodu
    Michael Jenkins
    Stephen Burton
    Jaymar Johnson
    Juaquin Iglesias

71. By David P on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I hope that the Lb who wears the 47 makes the team. This guy has spped and could with a liitle help also be a decent DE. Give him, #35 and the Carter the DB a chance by not cutting them. BB needs to go. He makes one play and he is the talk of the town. He will make another play in November.

72. By John on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Chris Cook needs to go. He can’t cover and he can’t tackle. He’s literally Big for Nothing. Not to mention is 1 million dollar roster bonus this season if he makes the roster. CUT!

73. By David P on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I just looked at the roster and it already looks like #47 was cut. I wish I could remember his name but no luck. I still beleive he can make a roster somewhere. I see we still have BB, Cook and Allen. What a waste.

74. By sandiamond on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

it was Gilmore a really big guy

75. By sandiamond on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

RR 6 WR roster spots

Harvin
    Berrian
    Jenkins
    #4-6 are open
    Camarillo
    Aromashodu
    Iglesias
    Arceneaux
    S. Burton
    J. Johnson

Camarillo somewhat locked on # 4

76. By jdude on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Why arn’t the vikings starting Webb It’s like there want Ponder to be second when for right now Webb is the better guy. Webb should be the starter not Mcnabb. Mcnabb may have once been good but he can’t run anymore. He looked like favre on a broken ankle. Webb has more talent he is faster, stronger, and more accurate. Webb is better. This is how the QB depth chart should look (Webb, Ponder, Mcnabb).

77. By jdude on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Sandiamond I Know you must think Berrian Is good, But the truth is he is only caching to keep his job. This is what reciever position should look like.

Harvin
    Jenkins
    camarillo
    Aromashadu
    Iglesias
    J.Johnson
    S.Burton
    Arceneaux
    Berrian.

78. By VegasVike on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

You know who has very rainbow like celebrations? Mr. Rogers, I want to vomit every time he does his little leap or his belt donning….

79. By Erik the Red on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

jdude, what are you on? McNabb not good anymore? I like Webb, but he’s still got a lot to learn. And Ponder, who knows, he’s a rookie so its fine. Anyway, you’re crazy if you think Webb would do better then McNabb right now. Give Webb and Ponder some time to learn from McNabb, and then let them loose. And again, Webb may be faster then McNabb, but that happens when you’re 10 years younger, and also, if you think Webb has better accuracy then McNabb, you really are crazy. Quit hating xD

80. By VegasVike on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

10-4 Erik, I just watched the Cowboys replay. Webb has amazing natural abilities however has lots to learn still. He needs to read out better and learn to plant himself before the throw. His passing looks predictable for the opposing D. But man, when he’s on the loose, look out!!

81. By Derik on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

McNabb seems to be looking BB way a lot. I don’t think he’ll be going any where. I’d rather keep the young receivers and let them develop. If it were me I’d cut BB and Cam give the younger guys a chance. Oh and to the guy asking why Ponder is starting over Webb Thursday.. Frazier said from the start he would alternate which one of the back ups go in first. It’s Ponder’s turn in the rotation.

How I’d rank our WRs:
    Harvin
    Jenkins
    Aromashadu
    Johnson
    Iglesias
    Arceneaux
    Burton (on practice squad)

82. By Kenny on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I really feel the coaching staff is doing great! we are going to be very dynamic on offense. I have watched the replay game againt cowboys and offense was moving along fine. We had many different formations. I believe that in the regular season we will score 27-30 a game. What i dont understand is the teams faith and loyalty to Berrian. We have other WRs with speed and better hands! I feel Jenkins should be starting over berrian because he is a bigger target and much more sure handed, he made 2 nice catches last game. The TD berrian had was all Mcnabb. I rewinded that catch over and over and berrian was actually surprised he caught the ball! Even berrians best years were not that good , so i do not understand the faith the staff has behind him

83. By Kenny on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I also like Robison , but i am not sold on him being starter. I feel he is one of those players whois best used in spurts because of his high energy. Griffen or ballard will be better as starters than back up and Robison would be better as back-up than starter. I counted several plays where Robison was pushed backwards a couple steps before trying to use his speed and go around OL which made him late to Romo- ball was alredy long gone out of his hands. Robison did not get that push needed by DE. If he was just a little stronger and moreof a mean streak he would be great! Even with all this said, i like Robison.

84. By Kenny on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Most of the celebrations are pretty lame. Every now and then i see 1 on Sports center that has me Busting up!. I just hope Mcnabb does’nt bring back his MIcheal JAckson moonwalk and spin celebration he had in philly. Moonwalk in cleats? really?

85. By CA Norwegian on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

This is all going to lead to Fantasy GM, a game where you build the team, and whoever gets the cuts right, wins! Do they listen to this? Only those who cannot be moved… I think. When Suh rolls up the middle we are going to need scrambling!

86. By Noah on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

at least berrian is better than williamson? we should trade berrian for mike sims-walker!!!!

87. By kane on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Yeah it’s not where Berrian made some amazing catch, Mcnabb put it right between the letters.

88. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Kane– yes an amazing throw by McNabb, but when McNabb released the ball, where was Berrian? Do you think Berrian had nothing to do with that timing and execution? Berrian had the right speed and the right separation while placing himself in exactly a pinpoint precision spot on the field— AWESOME BERNARD!!

89. By Rocksalt on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Berrian did make a nice catch. I hope he has finally turned things around…

90. By Jason L on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

We really need to focus on making our team better through the draft. All the good teams in the NFL have done this. We have always been the team that has patched the pipe instead of fixing it. I see good thing in the future with the Vikings!

91. By Brian on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

People keep saying cut Berrian for Aromashadu and others. But what have they done? At least Berrian could potentially look good under McNabb

92. By Troutdaddy on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus & Shawn- Wow, I didn’t know that so many useless posts could get on here so quickly…. We get it. Move on. As far as QB’s and roster spots open, I think Webbs ability to scramble is going to seal his #2 spot behind McNabb. I also think that (believe it or not Titus and Shawn)- Berrian should be gone. With all the young receivers we have, it should be woth it to cut him loose. I know that media is all hyped up about Berrian and his TD catch, but every blind sow finds an occasional acorn, right? I think Iglesias could be the perfect choice. I bleed purple. Nuf said.

93. By lilwildwolf21 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

You all realize that because we are ripping on BB Mc Nabb is going to go in his direction more to make him look better right? As long as Mc Nabb continues to have faith in BB the more he is going to go in that direction as well. I really wish we would go out and get some better WR though. To rely on Harvin is really not smart. He is good , but as soon as those migraines come we will lose him for a couple of weeks. Then we have to put our faith in AP he again is a good running back but opposing Deference will adjust to that we really need some WRs that can step up and prove they can make the big plays. As much as I love the Vikings it pains me to say that we are in for a real disappointing season. Think about it… it took our offense 7 1/2 quarters to score a touchdown and it was by our third string running back. First string didn’t score a TD until the Cowboy game. We are in trouble if that continues in the regular season.

94. By Alberto Cardenas on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Queremos a Ponder de Titular, se ve todo un salon de la fama, su actitud y su juego lo dice todo. Gracias.

95. By Don in MD on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Well, I hear everyone about Berrian, but I hope he has a great season with us. He is the “potential” better choice for what we’ve got. Just like a former Viking WR named Rice, Berrian has had one halfway decent season with us, even though he has all the potential in the world to be exceptional. SKOAL!

96. By E-Man on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Ok I agree I don’t think Berrian is going to be any different then he has been. I think the Vikes do need to get a big target for Mcnabb. Waiting to see who might become available after teams make their cuts might be a good idea. I Know you all still love Randy Moss and all but come on he’s done. He was great in his day but I don’t think Randy is the answer I think we found that out didn’t we? I loved watching Randy play in his day he changed the game but to keep bringing him up now is silly and I must say it makes the Vikes look real desperate. Besides I am beginning to worry more about the defense. Dallas had there way with them. You can have the best receiver in the league but with a so so defense you are nothing in this league. I hoped the Vikes would have figured that out after all them years with Randy Moss.

97. By mnsoldier on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

berrian is and never was a threat, he has had the occassional play, however we dont need occasional we need daily productivity. You have to have players who are going to give all they have each game with a I love the game aspect instead of i love to get paid aspect. Berrian is the of the pay me player with little to show for the investment.

98. By mnsoldier on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Moss is gone, Joe webb is a dual threat, he can be the #6 receiver, he has the big body and the understanding of a QB to read the defense we get a two for one out of him as far a a player goes and reduced cost if we lose Berrian.

99. By E-Man on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait to see defenses across the league that play the Eagles make Vick wish he never came back in the league. Bad move for the Eagles to sign him for that long and that much because I doubt he makes through this season without a serious injury. He will be feeling the pain that he put those dogs through. Loved seeing the Vikes knock him out of the game last year that was beautiful!!!

100. By tyrone on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

im amazed at you guys. you guys fail to see that we need 2 big recievers that can go wide. percy harvin was extemely ineffective wide. he is a purely slot reciever that has an explosive cut to create separation on intermediate routes. Bernard Berrian is on the roster for the speed aspect, to stretch the defense and bring the safties down field. thing is, we need 2 of them because theres 2 sides to a field. thats why micheal jenkins is here. berrian is not the focus of the offense, the focus is peterson and harvin. we need them where they are best. no other receiver has proven themselves capable of being that big outside target.

101. By vikefan1969 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

I think BB makes the WR roster no problem…along with Harvin of course as well as Jenkins…from there imo there is a big fall off…Cam should make it as the backup slot guy and PR guy…many folks do not like him but the guy can find the open spot in a zone and plays well in the slot. I like JJ as another ST guy…and then I think it is going to be the Aromas..I think the battle is really only for that last spot.
    As for FB …not sure we need that, we need the TE’s for the 2TE sets that can rotate we have JimmyK, Shank, Rudy, Dugan, JK and Dugan can fill the roll of FB. LB is and issue with the injuries we have..but feel we can get some good play from the guys we have…CB cut Allen keep Sherels…Safety keep Raymond.

102. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Wr should likely be: Harvin slot really the number 1
    Jenkins 2 size and decent speed is reliable
    Aromashadu 3
    Iglesias or Arceneaux 4 Manny has better size while Iglesias and Ponder have made some decent plays on 3rd down
    J.Johnson 5/ kick & punt return
    S.Burton practice squad
    Camarillo trade to Rams they need a reliable catch every thing trown at him
    Berrian cut or trade

103. By jeremy on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

shawn u r a turd

104. By Woodboat on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus and others concerning BBs TD catch.
    That play was all McNabb. < Note the period after the name Mcnabb. If Berrian had NOT caught that ball, you would have put your foot through your flatscreen. No credit given for catching a ball that was perfectly delivered that the receiver didn't have to fight for or deviate from his route to catch. If he had dropped that pass, they should have cut his jersey off him on the spot. ANY of the receivers on this roster would and could make that catch. If you are going to use that as proof that BB is great, tell me… where is Greg Lewis? He caught that TD pass in the back of the endzone to win the SF game 2 years ago… highlight reel stuff. Did that make him a #1 receiver? No, he was still about 5th on the depth chart.

105. By Woodboat on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

McNabb has been targeting Berrian because he is the number 1 read… he isn’t looking for him. You make Jenkins the #1 read and McNabb will chuck the ball at Jenkins. Berrian is subpar on the field to the majority of Vikings fans… he must bring something else to the table to make the coaching staff back him to the level that they do. I do believe that he had better perform this year or he is done wearing purple. How many second chances can one guy get?

2. Sep 1, 2011: Vikings Blog | 5 Things To Watch Tonight «