Frazier Sounds Optimistic On Shiancoe, Kevin Williams

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 29, 2011 – 3:05 pm

It’s the preseason so sometimes it’s not too alarming when regular starters aren’t in the lineup. The reality, though, is that once the regular season begins the availability of those regular starters is heavily scrutinized.

That’s where TE Visanthe Shiancoe and DT Kevin Williams enter the conversation. Both guys sat out of Saturday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys and Shiancoe has actually not played at all this preseason. Shiancoe is dealing with a pesky hamstring injury and Williams has a foot ailment. That’s the bad news.

The good news is that Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier sounded optimistic that both guys will be ready for the regular season.

“Pretty optimistic that he’ll be ready,” Frazier said of Williams. “He moved around fairly well (Monday); much better than I anticipated. He was able to go through some of the drills and [I] wasn’t sure if he’d be able to do that. Hopefully tomorrow he can do a little more, but we’ve got some time before that first game, so I’m optimistic that he’ll be ready.”

As for Shiancoe, Frazier said he won’t play on Thursday against Houston in the preseason finale but they feel “pretty good that he’ll be ready for our opener.” Frazier also said that if it were the regular season right now, Shiancoe would probably be able to play.

Tags: , ,

62 Responses to “Frazier Sounds Optimistic On Shiancoe, Kevin Williams”

1. By Daniel on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

It`s too bad that shank did not go through preseason. I would have liked to see the two TE sets. I LOVE the fake pitch to peterson to the right and swing back around and hit the TE on the oppisite side. Great play. I remember when we used flea flicker alot too. I am excited to see more plays that fits the players talent. Thats smart football to me. Look at the way The pack uses Woodson. His talent. Or the steelers. So glad we have a good cordinator that gets it. Atl lost out big time. And Rick spielman has done a great job of getting talent. But one thing Rick, Cut Allen. He is not going to fit. Heck Torrance passed him up.

2. By koolie on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

What is so hard to get the TAGS up to date

3. By Daniel on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

One thing for sure I don`t think the Vikes understand yet, and thats getting the guys that fit and have great potental. Asher needs to go, Berrian should go. We have got to sign Peterson and Greenway. Look at the way the Jets, pack,eagles, all trade and pick up awsome picks or up and coming players. Eagles just flat out took cromartie from ARI and recieved a high pick. That was a steal for the eagles. We need improvement in this area. surely someone would trade for Bernard for something or someone. We should have went and got Taylor mays. Oh well.

4. By Mike B. on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I liked what I saw out of Berrian in the game. He restructured his contract, so that bring a degree of loyalty from the Vikings. I think he’s worth a good hard luck in the regular season. I wish some would get of the Moss thing. He’s retired and if he wanted to play for the Vikings I am sure he would have let all the fans know. He could come out of retirement, but it will only be for a team competing for the superbowl. Unless the Vikings fall into that situation and the Vikings are contenders that’s the only way Moss would want to come back. We would have to be down 2 receievers to take him. I don’t think it will happen and know that coaching staff wouldn’t look farward to Moss comeing back. We don’t need his type on the team. Sorry that’s how I see it. Get over Moss.

5. By Mike B. on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

oops look

6. By Erik the Red on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I know it’s all speculation in the preseason, but I really am excited for the regular season to start. The only probably I see right now could be the defensive line, just the new players trying to fit in. Might work out great, might not, who knows. Also, I think the offense has been getting better and better, and it will be good once Shiancoe is back. I do believe that the Vikes will do better than last year, and hopefully they can prove me right.

7. By Vikings4Life on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

This offense is really improving reminds me of when I play madden I always choose run and gun or shoot as they call it spread them out give defenses headaches and a whole bunch of problems, harvin is going to cause a lot of disruption out there ap, shank, rudolph, berrian and jenkins hope they keep camarillo he can be a wes welker type. You don’t need the best wideouts in the nfl to get to the super bowl, its all about how coaches fit the players in the system if they are comfortable they will break out. Of course it doesn’t hurt to have a larry fitz or andre johnson but teams that have won a superbowl they don’t have the top wideouts in the league its all about how the coach gives the players freedom to get every bit of their potentials. In the nfl nowadays your going to have to run and gun and attack.

8. By Vikings4Life on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know but ap is running with a lot of speed you can tell the game has slowed down for him he’s just going full blast hitting holes, he looks more dangerous than ever.

9. By Mike B. on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Looks like Dallas is unloading some vets might be some OL pickings there. Just a though. Chester Taylor was not cut according to the Bears Coach, but sounds like Chester is po’ed over the situation.

10. By Daniel on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I have confidence in the team this year more than a while. The thing that brings that to me is the leadership of our staff. It ALL starts there. they inject the spirit of what they want to do to each individual. I don`t think McNaab realizes that he is playing for his last chance. I truly believe that will click. I really do not believe that struck him at philly. We have allstar talent and good average players. We have so many that IF they get the urgency, we will have success. Other than that, We are just presuming. And to presume is to adventure without authority. In order to bring that trophy home we have to have Faith in eachother and what we have. Look at Micheal Jordan. Let me ask you: How many people were behind him? The results are majority. We all need to lift this team or they will become the next North Stars and we loose and Green bay wins. THAT would be Sad! Would it not?

11. By Arrow86 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel:

I’m not so sold that Taylor Mays was worth the effort. The Niners put him out there quite a while, before the Bengals picked him up. Singletary was his coach last season, I think if he were 100% behind the talent and potential of Mays the Vikes would have put together a deal to bring him in.

12. By Arrow86 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike B:

Could we use Chester, Lorenzo, Toby, and some guy name Peterson? I think so.

13. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

The writing needs to get better in these articles. It is painful to read them.

Shiancoe has actually not played at all this preseason.

Really? Actually? Why do we need the term “actually”? And “all”? Why? Shiancoe has not played this preseason. Precise to the point.

Then we have optimistic followed by a quote where Frazier says he is optimistic. Please, try “upbeat” or another choice before introducing the quote.

14. By SO? on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus…Maybe you should cool your jets? I’m sure if you started a blog it would be full of mistakes as well.

15. By Titus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Thank you so much SO? for agreeing with me (your “as well” includes Mike in your negative as-sessment), BUT I would not go as far as you did by calling Mike’s writing mistakes. No, that is too harsh. The writing needs better stylistic choices, but there are few mistakes.

16. By vikescot on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Was not impressed with the sideline antics of Macnabb etc laughing and rolling around like a 10 yearold!!!! I realize this is preseason but I do not like seeing players and asst coaches laughing and giggling like school girls when a game is being played!!!! I believe we have a once in a life time RB in Adrian Peterson and he has 1 year left on his contract and wants to win a Superbowl as I and most Viking Fans deserve !!!! Will Adrian want to come back to this team if there is no sense of URGENCY preseason or regular season !!!! Mcnabb has a Philly Label of not being SERIOUS ENOUGH and I think I saw a GLARING example of what they are talking about… Again I say there is plenty of time off the field and during breaks in practice to be child like but during a game preseason or regular season, time for SERIOUSNESS and A SENSE OF URGENCY !!!!!!! Go VIKES

17. By vikescot on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I believe if there had been alot more seriousness and a SENSE of URGENCY we would not have lost to the AINTS in that NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME due to: 1) FUMBLE inside RED ZONE by BERNARD B. 2). percy harvin 3). Adrian Peterson / Brett handoff 4). 12 men in the HUDDLE 5). etc A team wide response to the AINTS cheap hits on BRETT , THAT was our game and WE let it FALL AWAY from us !!!!!! G O V I K E S !!!!!!!

18. By study in china on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

That’s really the bad news for “Shiancoe is dealing with a pesky hamstring injury and Williams has a foot ailment”

19. By CA Norwegian on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Oh My! We need the season to start. Upbeat? Us musicians may well complain about it. Miike is puttng in plenty of time and effort, and I am usually happy to read his and your musings. McNabb is an ultimate insider and understands team chemistrry more than any of us. Joe seems eminently likeable in the interview, because he does not take himself too seriously.

20. By CA Norwegian on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Please stop with the Mosses. I would like to honor him in my memories without seeing him get the boot three times.

@ Titus, you seem to be king of the hill around these parts. I am alwayw glad to read what you, your first syllable and her twin sister have to say.

I am actually a dual Viking and Charger fan. At least in week one, we will not get swept.

21. By sandiamond on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

we are walking a bit limp on the roster right now. good news is most everyone should be ready for the opener. Mayock and Frazier both mentioned the depletion of linebackers. Nothing much from Wobs on this subject. Would be nice to know the status of the starters and player bubble cuts for LB’s

22. By Carl K on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Titus- If Mike Wobs writing is painful for you to read… my stuff that I add to “all” this blog must “actually” about kill you.

23. By Carl K on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Titus- If this web site hurts you so much, why do you keep coming back?
    Don’t you have a book to help write? You must have something better to do with your time than to subject yourself to this torture.

24. By Carl K on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Titus- This is a football blog, not an English class! If you want to help Mike write, show some class and do it one on one. Mike has an email address.

BTW your writing is NOT all that great. I hate to say this, but you use the M-dash way too much.

25. By Carl K on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “much”. I should have said “way too often”.

26. By PAUL M. on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR MANY QUALITY PLAYERS BEING CUT THIS THURSDAY!!

TEAMS WILL PICK UP VERY VALUABLE PLAYERS!

27. By PAUL M. on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

TAKE BELICHIK & DANNY WOODHEAD — FROM THE JETS – FOR EXAMPLE

28. By PAUL M. on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY TEAMS OUT THERE WITH EXTRA QUALITY LB’s THAT THEY’LL HAVE TO CUT?

29. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see some people have spirit.

30. By Billy on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Lets talk about the good things on the Viking team and not the bad and the bad wrighting. The vikings are a joy to watch for many people win or loose.
    I believe the team is going in the right direction starting with the Owner, Scouting team and Coaches. I think Ziggy is deadacated to do all he can to bring Minnesota a superbowl.
    Rick Spilman has done a fantastic job of drafting and has a great eye for talent. It is easy to see why they made Leslie Frazer the head coach and why the players love playing for him. He is much like a Tony Dungy and well respected by the players and owners both.
    The quarterback situation seems in great shape and the running back situation is as good as it gets.
    The new assistant coaches have made a big differance with the O line and there new plays with using the 3 tight ends and tayloring the plays to the players strenght.
    The defence still has a great base with Jerad, Keven,
    Chad, EJ, Winfield and Cook and the rest are good players.
    I have purple blood and am a long time Viking diehard fan since the days of the purple people eaters. I am now semi retired and live in Indonesia but do not miss any off the games with the help of a slingbox back in Minnesota to swatch on my computer. Skol Vikings !!!!

31. By Vikings4Life on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

If he cared about grammar that much, he should have been a teacher by now. I doubt he has the credentials to run his mouth about grammar.

32. By Vikings4Life on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

There’s job openings to become a English college professor I wonder why he didn’t take that job.

33. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Vikings4Life, if you only knew.

34. By VegasVike on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Did you konw taht in the elingsh lnaaguge taht as lnog as the frsit lteetr and the Lsat leettr are in tiher croerct pstiooin you can nromllay raed the wrod ???

35. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

In fact, Vegas, you can eliminate half the letters in your sentences, and the reader will still comprehend. So?

36. By VegasVike on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

So just trying to lighten the banter

37. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey, Vegas, I appreciate that.

38. By VegasVike on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Haha, i’m kind of like you except I scratch my head on the typo’s in the blogs more than the actual article. I guess that’s what the wonder world of texting and T9 has has done to our society.

39. By larrylynner on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I look at todays roster and marvel at one statistic. These Vikes are dam young—- Hutchinson, Winfield, Mc Nabb, and Jimmy K, Tight end. the only dudes with real whiskers. Oh, also a veteran kicker, but lets face it, hes a Kicker!!!! Can Jim go for year 14 and beat out the two rookie s in camp????I’ m stranded here in Utah and need the real scoop from experts—-thanks

40. By sandiamond on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Jimmy looks okay but if we add any waiver players then D’Imperio,Dugan or Kl will have to be cut

41. By Viking Joe on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I personally think Titus is very knowledgeable, but perhaps a little critical, who cares if some people can’t spell, it’s not like we’re getting graded !!!!

42. By Viking Joe on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Why would the Vikings waive Kleinsasser, he is one heck of a blocker, that’s basically all he’s called to do, and when needed catch a dump pass.

43. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Joe, maybe you’re right, I am a bit critical. My bad. But truthfully, if you read the articles there are some issues and rarely is it about spelling. Read compelling journalism and you understand the difference.
    NOW BEFORE you all jump on me– don’t have a double standard. Everyone here jumps all over the players and coaches, criticizing WAY BEYOND what I do– actual insults and swearing. Am I doing anything so differently?
    All the wisdom literature agrees– allow the small aspects of your project to slide, and the larger goals are not realized. Think this site, which is the gateway to the world, a world dominated by social media, should be mediocre? Think again. The whole organization should shine, from waterboy to owner.
    Now when I take a stand for one of the players you criticize so harshly, I guess, at the end of the day we are all alike– no one likes to see someone bullied.

44. By Viking Joe on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

We should stand by the players, I concur, I personally try not to rip any of the players, especiallty Berrian, people bash him left and right, have faith !!!

45. By Viking Joe on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Oh and by the way, I take a journalism class in college, so I understand !!!

46. By Titus on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Cool Viking Joe– I loved journalism in college.

47. By Caroline on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Damm know i know y my fav player did not play Visanthe Shiancoe , when my purple came to seattle i showed my purple and all the Minnesota fans came up to me and said caroline your a true fan even in seattle i was counting the days to see 81 and the air was taken out of me cus he was not here it was a great win but miss miss 81!!! so bad love you Vikings !!!

48. By DuaneN on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Billy is god.

49. By TrueFan182 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

This a Vikings Blog…We don’t want to hear about grammar and typos and mispellings…we don’t care!!!!!!!!! It’s a freaking Blog for crying out loud people!!!!! :)

50. By Titus on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

No one is talking about grammar, typos, or misspellings, Geesh. We are talking about compelling sports copy, which has nothing to do with spelling, typos, or grammar. You can have horrible grammar, misspelled words galore, and lots of typos in a greatly written piece.

51. By B-Pro on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

As the reg. season approaches I’ve been getting more concerned with our defense. Brinkley banged up with not alot of depth at LB. Williams looks like he is going to have a foot issue all year. We all know he’s going to be suspended, it’s just a matter of when and for how many games. I’m concerned with our ability to pressure the QB and we have weaknesses up front on de-line which in return will put alot of pressure on our already sub-par DB’s. It’s 50/50 on what we will get out of Griff coming off back to back knee injuries. Winfield can still play but I think he is more capable of stopping the run then trying to cover someone, and the rest you can just throw your hands up in the air and see what you get. In looking at our 1st game at the chargers, AP will have to control the game on the ground to keep Rivers off the field. If we can’t do that then Rivers will have a big game against our defense and probably score often.

52. By B-Pro on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey VIKINGS 4 LIFE. I read your comment on the 29th about AP. Listen he will try to play out of his mind this year, it’s his final year of his contract and he is no different then any other superstar in this league. It’s all about money and what he thinks he’s worth. My gut feeling tells me he won’t sign a long term deal with the Viks, so they will put a franc tag on him for 1 year and he will be a free agent the following year.

53. By SO? on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Is it horrible to hope McNabb fails so Ponder can take over the team? I don’t understand how siting out for a season helps the back up quarterbacks grow… I feel like game experience would be the best for Ponder. Opinions?

54. By sandiamond on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Vikings need ‘All Day’ effort

Offense to rest on Peterson’s shoulder early ( usa today feature article)

talks about his contract and also career stats stacked up against robert smith and chuck foreman
    5k donation for every touchdown and the working relationship with the ashton and demi foundation
    pagac staets we will find a way to run early in season vs mcnabb throwing 35 times a game

55. By sandiamond on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

or musgrave rather. Interesting note as SD had the #1 pass def in the nfl last year

56. By Viking Joe on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

San Diego is notoriously known for slow starts, it would be nice to sneak a win out west !!!

57. By bigdog on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

the vikings have the same issue every year, stop bringing in qbs from other teams cause they need a job. Joe Webb looked better then any qb that we have had in a long time. I am a hardcore vikes fan. everybody needs to remember AP ran for almost 300 yards the last time we played SD. But the moral is they need to stick with 1 qb and c wht they can do, they need to stop drafting qbs out of college and not let them play.

58. By Immureglass21 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

See the thing is McNabb gives the Vikings the best chance of winning and if their winning we have better chance of resigning key players such as Greenway and Peterson and I believe J. Allen’s contract is going to expire soon also (but I might be mistaken.) Ponder and Webb have alot of potential but their still very raw and they need time to develop and learn to be comfortable inside the pocket.

59. By ld on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

sligbox in inndy way to go billie what city? going to be a fun year. realy glad we have Mcnabb,would have been tough without him. LB’s are going to have to plug run gaps at line to get 3 and outs 4 D SKOL VIKE’S!

60. By Billy on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

I live in Pangandaran in West Java. It is on the Ocean and 80 degrees everyday of the year. So nice not to be thinking snow is coming soon once football starts. So nice to watch all the games in cutoffs and sandles. Bad new about Jasper but I believe with our sciouting staff they will pick up 1 or 2 good players for backups. I really think with the new offence we will be very exciting to watch this year.

61. By Billy on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Just a tought on Ponder and Webb. There is talk about who will be number 2 and 3 on the depth cart. I think it sould be looked at totally diferent. I think even if Ponder is the starter next year you have to get webb on the field for 20% of the plays. This could be a new way to run the quarter back position. It would make teams do a lot more game planing knowing that Webb was going to be in there 15 plays or so per game.
    You could also split him out and lateral to him and he could run or pass from the position. So let Ponder be #2 if that is what the coaches want to do but they must take advantage of all of Webbs talent.

62. By Billy on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

It was great seeing all the players fighting to make a spot on the team. There was Griffin at linebacker making a nice play on swatting the ball away from the receiver along with him showing his physical skills. I thought Sterols looked well and Jamar Johnson. I believe the Viking is going to be very exciting to watch this year with the new offence look and packages. I believe Adrian has a good chance at 2,000 yards this year!!!!!