Vikings Drop 23-17 Decision To Dallas

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 27, 2011 – 10:15 pm

The Vikings dropped a 23-17 decision to the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday night at Mall of America Field in a game that saw the return of the Vikings to their home stadium for the first time since December 5, 2010. The contest was the third preseason game for both teams and it gave coaches and fans an extended look at starters.

The difference in the game turned out to be on special teams, where Dallas blocked a 50-yard FG attempt by Ryan Longwell and returned it for a TD. Gerald Sensabaugh got his mitts on Longwell’s kick and CB Alan Ball eventually recovered the loose ball and dashed to the endzone, giving the Cowboys a 10-7 lead early in the 2nd quarter.

From that point forward, each team found the endzone once – Dallas on a 5-yard TD run by Felix Jones and the Vikings on a 10-yard scamper from QB Joe Webb – and Dallas came away with the 6-point win. Longwell came on to convert a 44-yard FG later in the game and the Cowboys converted a pair of FGs to create the winning margin.

The Vikings actually held an advantage in most statistical categories, including total yards, first downs and third-down efficiency. But the score on special teams was enough to tip the balance.

We’ll have much more from Saturday night’s game soon, including a look at the Vikings first-team offense and injury updates on the Vikings secondary. With three preseason games now in the books, the Vikings have a 1-2 record. Their next game is the preseason finale and it takes place on Thursday night at Mall of America Field against the Houston Texans.

Tags: ,

29 Responses to “Vikings Drop 23-17 Decision To Dallas”

1. By Vikings4Life on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I thought the first string offense did well, I don’t get why not go for it on 4th and 1 instead of kicking it.

2. By Vikings4Life on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I like this run and gun offense, didn’t like the penalties and turnovers.

3. By Vikings4Life on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Defense took a step back, one thing I don’t get is why is pagac calling a blitz on 3rd and 6 or short that is way too risky.

4. By Vikings4Life on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

The blitz couldn’t get there, didn’t put pressure on the qb as much too much hesitation.

5. By borgis on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

hey, watched the game, there is nothing to be greatly proud of but there’s nothing to be ashamed of. dallas cheat’s. keep working vike’s. GO VIKING’S

6. By Blue Marlin on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

How did Joe Webb handle himself in the pocket, it seemed like he kept scrambling. Is that what we need, a QB that runs at the first sense of pressure?

7. By OLD SCHOOL on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

The Secondary will be the death of us all !

Don’t understand how a group like this is so SUB-PAR!

It be hard to watch all season!

8. By OLD SCHOOL on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

It will be hard to watch all season long!

9. By sandiamond on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

Breakout stars for every NFL team in 2011 article:

Minnesota Vikings: Everson Griffen, DE .The starting spot opposite Jared Allen is still waiting to be seized up in Minnesota. Though Brian Robison was the early camp favorite, 2010 fourth-round pick Everson Griffen could be the guy who ends up picking up the slack. Griffen has come to camp focused on football and ready to play. Remember, he started on a USC defense that included Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga. The question is whether he could ever put it all together. If he does, watch out.

10. By sandiamond on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

Thursday’s last pre-season game. Frazier says” QB starter to be determined ”
    in other words who will be the 2nd string qb behind McNabb? I think that has to be Joe Webb based on last year’s exp. Lot of fans want Ponder in there but you have to remember it is a business decision that is best for the team in case McNabb goes down for what ever reason

11. By Frederick Jones on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

@blue marlin and old school,

I love LA !

Without a pass rush, the Vikings should pack up and leave ! TODAY !

12. By tru-speed on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

@frederick Jones your a joke! i read all the B.S you put on this site and makes me sick, GET A LIFE LOSER! This site is for VIKINGS FANS! All you do is talk talk talk! I bet you have never played football other then on a PS3! hateful a#%

13. By tru-speed on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

@frederick jones your a cancer that needs to be cut out of this site!

14. By OLD SCHOOL on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

I just watched the “High-Lights” again!

Like I posted a few weeks ago…..we are going to really miss Ray Edwards on the other side of the D-Line.

In the past we could hide our lack of a Secondary because the QB had no time to throw the ball from all of the pressure being applied by our pass rush….

That is no longer the case!

15. By vikings fan 1955 on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

I like what I saw and looks like we finally have a good and deep qb corps.m I have to say to other fans that so far I still msay BB is worth keep and he wast droppng yesterday and made so good catches that he would have dropped mlast yr and he showed he still has the speed to get seperation. I have stood up for him and I feel he will show my faith in him was deserved. Mc nabb seems on point and can run this noffense well, ponder is the future qb for sure and I’m not counting webb out he just has a lot to learn. I hear a lot about his desire to leave the pocket but we also saw he can run and score.I see jenkins was a good choice and we have a dangerous offense. and I see the D improving but still a workm in progress.

16. By vikings fan 1955 on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

Go Vikes

17. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

I listened to the first half on the radio and saw the second half on television….. All in all, I thought it was a decently played game for the most part. Special teams? Ouch. Longwell blocked kick and a miss… 2 rarities for the man. I’m less…. key word less….worried about corner than some of you. Ive seen some decent plays, and you have to keep in mind the CB roation is dealing with injuries. Give the D line a few weeks and I think we can see some more weakside pressure. Despite what people say about Edwards, I thought he was a little overrated. Given the coaching the changes, I’m not surprised to see a bit of a slow go.
    To prove how important the preseason is; With the stunning loss to the Packers, the Colts now have a 9 game losing streak in the preseason dating back to 09………. yeah…..

18. By Jacob on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

Frazier needs to start commanding the defense WITH pagac, the defense we had against the eagles was PERFECT, blitzing with winfield is deadly for Qbs as far as offense, webb needs to be the backup, at least for now.

19. By sandiamond on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

two 50 yard field goals attempts? they resulted in 10 points for dallas. heck with the 3 point lotto shot just pin em back deep

20. By Frederick Jones on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

@tru-speed,

You are the only one that seemed to notice my recent blog about the defensive line.

My comments come from the antics I saw on the sidelines during the game by several Vikings. Led by McNabb, they were imitating other players.

There is no room for this during a game. Eller, Marshall, and Page would have never stood for it.

These guys should have been cheering on their teammates. The defensive line looked pathetic most of the game.

In the 1950s and 1960s for sure, the opposing team would be looking for these guys the next game. (and it wouldn’t be to hold their hands.)

21. By Rocksalt on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

Right on Fred!

22. By Arrow86 on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

My concern was that our defensive didn’t have very many 3 and outs. I hate to be negative, but our 3 string O-line and D-line can be cut right now. They weren’t lined up against the Cowboy starters, they were playing their 3rd string, and they just didn’t perform. Loadholt still is a work in progress, the good thing is that our QB’s are right handed, and can see when he’s getting beat and run for their lives.

Positives: Burton, Sherels, Webb, Ponder, Reisner, Rudolph, A.P., Berrian, McNabb, Kluwe, Jaymar.

23. By sandimond on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Arrow which Burton? the rookie wr finally got some action in the 4th quarter with one last chance to secure a spot thursday. Reisner looks like a promising prospect but we already have enough TE’s. good news for Resiner is that 20 teams will be watching the waiver wire for a TE

24. By NJViking on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Let’s face it..it’s going to be a tough year. OL, DL and secondary play like other team’s 2nd and 3rd line players. With Green Bay, detroit coming on and Bears playing tough, we will be hard-pressed to be 8-8 this year.

25. By hippster on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

looks like we’ll be sweeping up the basement again this year.this team allways wins in the statistic dept, but games are what need to be won.now we get to watch a bunch of impersonators have fun on the sidelines .where is the pride .it seame to me win or lose this team doesnt care about their fans .the heart break this team has created for its fans over the years is a disgrace. can anyone say 4 and 12 ,this division is to tough anymore to exspect any thing else.but on the brighter side?

26. By PURPLEBLOOD on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

TRU- SPEED I AGREE ! ALL I READ IS NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON WHAT WE DON`T HAVE THERE ARE NO PERFECT TEAMS IN THE NFL NONE!! SO IF YOU REALLY ARE A TRUE VIKING FAN STOP WITH THE WHINING AND BE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE , IF YOU ARE A TRUE VIKINGS FAN. P.S. SOME OF YOU SOUND LIKE GB SLACKER OR DET. CRYON , CH.BARES FANS PERPS.

27. By Viking Joe on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

What is with all the LA talk, the Vikings aren’t going anywhere, besides who wants to go to a city that is a smog filled sesspool !!!

28. By govikes on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Our only hope of going over .600 is our offense being dominant as the 12-4 year, which is possible. Mcnabb looks like he has a connection with berrian, and going deep will be relatively easy with 8 men in the box to stop AP.Percy and Shank are big time weapons as well, and I saw good things out of Jenkins at the Cowboys game. Defense is defiantely shaky…

29. By Amanda on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply