Frazier: “Big Ballgame” On Saturday For Vikings

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 26, 2011 – 6:40 am

For almost a month now, 80 players on the Vikings roster have worked on the field in practice and off the field in meeting rooms, the training room and the weight room to try and make the team. That effort will continue on Saturday night and then next Thursday night in the final two preseason games of 2011.

Then, Vikings coaches and scouts will have to make the call as to which 53 players – plus up to 8 practice squad guys – will make the cut and comprise the 2011 Minnesota Vikings. Suffice it to say, Saturday night’s preseason game against Dallas is a big ballgame for a lot of Vikings.

“We’re approaching a cut day now, so we’re going to have to make some decisions over this weekend,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said on Thursday. “So it’s a big ballgame for a lot of our players and also for our coaches. We’re trying to shape our roster, so we’ve got some big decisions to make.”

Some of those big decisions are at backup QB, the #4-6 WRs, reserve defensive and offensive linemen and several spots in the secondary. There are two cutdown dates approaching, with teams required to trim down from 80 75 by August 30 and then from 75 to 53 by September 3.

“It’s a big deal for the guys that are on the bubble,” Frazier said. “Maybe not so much right now, but that final cut, that’s the one that’s sometimes is not as clear cut because the competitions is so close.  This is a tough time for a lot of guys, and maybe in this ballgame someone will rise up that you didn’t expect to.”

Several Vikings will be held out of Saturday’s game because they’re dealing with injuries. Some of those players include: CB Asher Allen, RB Toby Gerhart, LBs Heath Farwell and Mark Washington, TE Visanthe Shiancoe and DT Kevin Williams. A couple of guys coming back from injuries to keep an eye on are CB Cedric Griffin and RG Anthony Herrera. Both guys are penciled in as starters, but that’s presuming their healthy and ready to go by Week 1.

With all of that in mind, what players or positions will you keep an eye on Saturday night? Let us know by leaving a comment in the comments section below this entry.

Tags:

66 Responses to “Frazier: “Big Ballgame” On Saturday For Vikings”

1. By NYViking on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m anxious to see Ced Griffin. I hope he has a great game, and that he is over the big hurdle. We need him.

I’m also anxious to see how Joe Webb does.

I’ll be looking at the DB’s, especially Marquis Cherels, Chris Cook, and Abdullah. Hoping the DB’s really show up this week.

Looking forward to see A. Herrara, how he comes back. Hoping he has a good showing.

Go Vikes. Let’s win this won.

Lastly, I think Berrian and Percy will have a great game and will get the fans excited at home.

2. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall
    The roster rules are different this year due to the lockout, and they allow 90-players on every team, which is the number we currently have. If I understand it properly, the rules also say that teams must be trimmed to 80-players by August 30th this year, rather than the 75-player limit at the same time in other years.

3. By KJ on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

We’ve got some serious questions at multiple positions. I’ll be paying particular attention to the O-line, receivers and DB’s.

Think we’ve got a decent D-line, LB’s, TE’s & special team folks. Running back is deep and looks great.

The biggest thing I’m looking forward to this year is the HUGE lack of drama not that Chilidiot and Her Majesty (#4) are gone.

SKOL!

4. By Vikings4Life on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Lets score some points

5. By Vikings4Life on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

We don’t have the jets or steelers defense to pound the ball and eat up the clock thanks for doing a favor to high scoring teams whom will outscore us the first game against the chargers will be a long one if they don’t get in the endzone they will go through the air and attack our secondary.

6. By Vikings4Life on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Everyone that watches the nfl knows keep getting in shotgun and throw it downfield and keep attacking the secondary is how you beat the vikings, the hated packers have no problem carving up our secondary.

7. By Vikings4Life on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

The vikes just happened to play weak offenses as of late in preseason, wait until they go against high octane offenses the secondary will melt in pressure, I hope they prove me wrong.

8. By Woodboat on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, KJ, Favre causes all the media attention he gets, and was the focus of SO much drama.

Personally, I’ll be watching the WRs and LBs. Because they are pretty well stocked, it will be interesting to see who can raise their stock. The O-Line, DBs… who really cares who gets the edge over the other guys. Going from a C player to a C+ player really doesn’t perk my interest.

9. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

WIth Sher Allen injured again, it will be interesting to see if Cord Parks or Brandon Burton are able to step up their game and push him off the roster. Sherels has already stepped in front of Allen in my mind. Assuming we keep 5 CBs, there’s one spot left for these other guys to fight for, and right now Allen is in no condition to fight…

10. By jv3rnon on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I read something about they might considering trading AP. If that’s true I for one will be done with Vikings. That’s say Greenway is more than value than AP. If they let him go might as well get rid of Jared Allen,Shiancoe, and Greenway because, yall don’t want to win. Who would you trade AP for NOBODY!!!

11. By Mike B on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@jv3rnon It makes no sense to trade AP assuming they are wanting to win now. AP is the core of the team and what it is built around. It would only make sense if they are sitting at the trade deadline with a losing record and very little chance to make the playoffs. In the teams current situation I don’t see that happening. If they decided they were done with Minneasota and looking to rebuild that would be the only way I would envision an AP trade coming. At that point everyone will know what’s going on then. I don’t think you have to worry though. AP will get his contract. Wilfs want to stay in MN and love owning the team. They would have to sell to one of the LA groups to go there. Take care.

12. By Jack23 on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Gotta love the new TE Reisner. Seems to be the complete package and a guy we can get behind for years to come. Hope he has a great showing in the last 2 preseason games.

13. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Parody- don’t forget about CB Tony Carter! He made some nice plays in the Seahawks game in just his 1st week with the team.

jv3rnon – trading AP is ONLY a fan rumor. AP and the Vikings are not saying anything like that. I think AP will get the franchise tag next year and than if a deal can not be reached he will be free to test the free agent market after the 2012 season.

I for one am getting tired of seeing our good young players keep heading out the door to free agency and getting nothing in return. ei: Ray Edwards, Sidney Rice, Chester Taylor (big value here). THIS TREND NEEDS TO STOP NOW! We are losing too much value!!!!!!!! I don’t have the answers, but we can’t keep giving good players away.

14. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Carl, sorry to leave him out. Carter would be a good fit for the #5 spot from what I’ve seen of him so far.

15. By Dave on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I for one am excited to see the d-line. We need to get back to our ways of pash rushing and run stopping!!!! Thats the best part of the Vikings!!!!! LBs always look good so i wont be paying to much attention. Oline i will be watching, WR as well. Booker, erin henderson, robinson, Griffin :))))) Webb those are all players that will be interesting. Also CBs and S i will be paying VERY close attention to. Chris Cook needs to stop getting burnt…happens all the time. Herrara needs to get stuff done as well. Gonna be a busy game haha

16. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

LB Mark Washington was cut today, and LB David Herron was signed. Just saw it under the team/transactions link at the top of the page.

17. By tru-speed on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

chris cook will get a pick(int)this game, he has looked good just had that one play get him cus the QB fumbled!

18. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Interesting Carl – Herron has been on the team before. He never made much of an impact, but never had much of a chance with Henderson, Leber and Greenway locked down as starters. Still, I don’t feel that he’ll be adding much of anything.

19. By The Chief on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Wish I could watch. Unfortunately the Vikings aren’t normally televised in my area unless they are having a good year, and I am not in a position to pay for a premium channel.

20. By David P on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree Herron was signed to most likely get cult again.

21. By Vikes fan in San Diego on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

OFFENSIVE LINE.
    Everything else is fine relative to the O Line.
    It’s going to be the difference between 7 & 11 wins this year.

22. By Don on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Quit with all the AP trade talk..I for one know if they trade AP..I’m down with this team..Yes its like that..

23. By Tom on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I think our o-line and defensive backfield have the most to gain/lose by tomorrow night’s game. Our secondary has been terrible for as long as I can remember and our offensive line was weak with Birk, now it’s terrible without him. Those 2 areas are the areas that have the most to prove tomorrow night. I’m anxious to see how our first team looks for the better part of 3 quaters tomorrow.

24. By Joe on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

O line and D backs are BIG interests.Cook never seems to Look when the reciever does.That habit needs to be addressed.If the O-line is leaking,we need a good scrambling Q-back.Ponder or Webb.We can’t let the Q-back repeatedly get pounded.Should be a good game.

25. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Joe Kapp, QB, was an 18th round draft pick.

Jim Marshall, DE, HOF was a 4th round draft pick.

Gary Larson, DT, Pro Bowler, was a 10th round pick

John “The Beast” Beasley, TE, starter for many seasons was an 8th rounder.

Nate Wright, CB, 34 interceptions in 10 year NFL career, UNDRAFTED

“Fast” Eddie McDaniel, MLB, Pro Bowler, 5th round draft pick.

Matt Birk, C, 6 time pro bowler, 6th round draft pick like Dr. Love of 2011 Vikes

26. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Pat Williams, DT, 3 time Pro Bowler, UNDRAFTED

Steve Jordan, TE, 6 time Pro Bowler, 7th Round

Carl Lee, CB, Pro Bowler, 7th Round

Jared Allen, DE, 2 time Pro Bowl, 4th Round

Scott Studwell, MLB, 2 time Pro Bowl, 9th Round

Tony Richardson, FB, 3 time Pro Bowl, UNDRAFTED

Bobby Bryant, CB, (listed in an earlier blog)
    was listed at 6’1″ 170 and was famous for jumping into
    a bucket of ice up to his neck after each game. two time pro bowler
    Drafted in the 7th Round. Marcus Sherels can make it ! ! !

27. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I printed at least 4 blogs containing guys who have made it big in the NFL inspite of being selected in the 4th round or later.

Pat Williams, Tony Richardson, and John Randle all made it to multiple pro bowls even though they were undrafted.

Nate Wright never made a Pro Bowl but was always a fan favorite in his ten years as a CB for the Vikings.

28. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

By the way, Wade “Whiskey” Wilson made it to the Pro Bowl as a QB, even though he was selected in the 8th round of the 1981 draft.

My blogs only considered those people who have played for the Vikings.

29. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

where is harvin going to be on saturday?

30. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@jv3,

I do not think they will trade A.D.

It’s way to obvious.

What ever the Vikings do in a trade, will surprise us all.

31. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

There were 14 UNDRAFTED Hall of Fame players:

three played for the Vikings and one was an a s s i s t a n t coach:

John Randle, DT
    Warren Moon, QB
    Jim Langer, C
    Emmitt Thomas, DB was the Vikings Defensive Coordinator for at least one year.

The other UNDRAFTED HALL OF FAMERS:
    Larry Little, G
    Willie Wood, DB
    Willie Brown, DB
    Joe Perry, RB
    Bill Willis, DL-OL
    Lou Groza, OL-K
    D i c k Night Train Lane, DB
    Frank Gatski, C
    Marion Motley, FB
    Emlen Tunnel, DB

32. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

AND did you notice that of the 14 UNDRAFTED Hall of Fame players FIVE were DEFENSIVE BACKS.

So it’s possible, and even probable that guys like MARCUS SHERELS will not only make this Vikings team, but will eventually start.

33. By Kenny on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

AP , Greenway and also EJ Henderson are all playing on final yrs of contract. I am not sure if we can sign them all, especially knowing that most players put up their best seasons in contract yrs. I think EJ will be odd man out ,especially if his brother Erin or Brinkley step up big this yr. Also he is older than all of the LBs mentioned. I hope we resign him as i do not think he would be in the pay area as Greenway despite putting up great numbers last yr.

34. By Kenny on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I have really liked what Booker has done so far in 1st 2 games. Both Musgrave and AP have said that AP will be on field much more on 3rd downs. Does anyone think that maybe Booker would be better as primary 3rd down back while giving AP rest on those downs? I know we have a new system but Booker can be used like Taylor was on 3rd downs . He catches just as good and is faster.

35. By SKOL:D:D:D on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Heres hoping that Mcnabb or Ponder will finally get some TDs!

36. By Kenny on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick – Great info man. Thanks! Those are some impressive names that were drafted late rounds or not drafted at all. I did not Birk was drafted so late. I really liked Steve Jordan

37. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall – How come you never told us Joe Webb was working out of the wildcat and at WR on Thursday?. That is big news don’t you think?

38. By VegasVike on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

That’s great to hear Webb is working the wildcat and WR…. That’s really gonna confuse a lot of defenses especially if they work a few different plays into that formation combined with Joe’s natural abilities. Any body ever seen the You Tube of Joe jumping the blocks?? I just got my patches of the old Metrodome roof in the mail! Thanks Metrodome Sports Commission!!

39. By VegasVike on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Check out this video on YouTube:

40. By VegasVike on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Try it again….. Maybe Mike won’t let me post the link :o(

41. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Carl,

I think the wildcat should be a part of all the qbs packages. Joe Webb may not be the only guy to run it.

We should have some surprise plays for Joe Webb, but that could come later.

42. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny,

I put all that stuff in on draft picks, and their performance in the nfl to show people (and myself) that low rounders can do well in the NFL. A surprising number of folks make it undrafted.

Ever wonder if the players read our blogs, or if they in fact, write a few?

If I was a player, I would avoid vikings.com, the paper, and tv. It can get very negative on a guy !

43. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Fred, an athlete needs to keep poison out of his mind. No, I doubt they read this blog–

44. By OLD SCHOOL on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I think that the first 5 games will make or break this season! The first game of the season can be won out in SD! They always start slow in SD and if we can pull off a rare road win…..the next two are at home and then we play KC in KC and they are very suspect…themn back at home vs the Cards…..

We can start this season off at 5-0 or 4-1 and then play above our talent riding agreat first wave!

What do you guys think?

45. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Old School? Is that really you? The same one who mocked me a few weeks ago when I said we would be 5-1? Coming to the light?

46. By Vikings4Life on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

ap is the kobe bryant, of the nba why would you want to even imagine for a second trading him he is the heart and soul of the offense.

47. By General :Population on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus, I understand that you have shared that you will serve me. ( from your former blog.) I eould like some slippers snf domr roasted cowgirls.

48. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Rocksalt, you must wait your turn.

49. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Careful Titus, you may convince him to send his other side back into hiding.

50. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

True Parody, we don’t want another Sybil case.

51. By sandiamond on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

L. Booker liking this guy more and more. always a smile and ready for action

52. By Arrow86 on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@jvr3rvon:

I think you took my speculation yesterday as serious or something the Vikings are doing. I threw out the hypothetical, if the Vikes traded A.P. for Troy Paoulomaulo and the Steelers threw in a 1st and 2nd round future pick. Many responded for and against, but I don’t think it’s anything the Vikings are entertaining. Don’t be done with the Vikes just yet. I love the Vikes. I love A.P. But my theory is based on what will bring the Vikes to the top the fastest. Maybe a trade like this would give the Steelers a Super Bowl ring this year and the Vikes a ring in 2014.

53. By Arrow86 on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick:

Don’t you think the wildcat was a 1-season nuance. Everyone copied it. Bevell ran a play in pre-season where Favre was the lead blocker in Houston and about ended a cornerback’s career. Defenses adjusted so quickly to it, that teams that continued to run it just seemed anxious to get one down closer to punting. That’s my take on it.

54. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow – In all fairness, Favre had no business being anywhere near a wildcat offense. It’s not within his skillset. Webb’s skills are perfect for it though.

I’m not saying that it’s something that should be used on every drive, but it can still be a good way to mix things up a little to throw defenses off balance maybe once or twice a game.

55. By PaulMax1957 on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I was looking at the preseason stats, WR Jenkins 1 catch-21 yards, WR Berrian 2 catches 12 yards, I know they only played a few minutes but are they suppose to be the No. 2 & 3 receivers behind Harvin??? They better have a better game on Saturday and Thursday or we might be in deep trouble at WR

56. By Rocksalt on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

FYI Titus, the General porulation blogger was not me.

57. By Rocksalt on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

population, darn keys

58. By Rocksalt on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

while I personally do not wish for AP to be traded, I have listened to others speak of this.It apears that there is some logic in the notion:
    1 Vikes are 30th in league in revenue(largely due to concessions & parking$$ at metrodome do not go to team)
    2. Vikes are 5th in spending……..
    3. AP will no doubt negotiate a large contract when the time comes……
    4. unless we improve in some areas quickly, he may wish to go to a team that is a definite contender for SB

59. By Carl K on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

PaulMax- It is preseason, why risk getting our top WR injuried? And why would we show our hand (new offense) to other teams. Our new system will spread the ball around. Booker has 4 catches, Rudolph has 4 catches Aromashodu 3 for 39yrd, and J Iglesias 3-56.

Preseason stats mean nothing – Logan Payne and Javon Walker were are top WR in preseason last year and both got cut. Darius Reynaud had the most punt returns and he was traded. Albert Young ran the ball the most times and he is gone. Sage Rosenfelds was our top QB…. gone

60. By Carl Brodin on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Area’s to wtch are obvious OL – Especially LT, DB- CB,S,WR’S other wise everything else looks solid. I will be trackig it on the computer and listening to it on Kfan because i live in Oshkosh,WI. gO VIKES LETS GET SOME TD’s

61. By Carl K on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

AP will get over 12 mil next year with the franchise tag. That is pretty good. I know it is not what Fitz in Arziona (15 mil per a year) just got, but the RB market may not bring that kind of money anyways. The NFL appears to be moving away from a featured back system to multiple RB tandoms which has de-valued the market for AP and C Johnson a bit. I don’t see any team in the NFL willing to make them the highest paid player in the NFL.

The Vikings might want to just pay AP the 10mil this year and 12mil next year (as a franchise tag player) and re-evaluate AP and the RB market at that time.

62. By Viking Joe on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I hope the Vikings score some offensive TD’s tonight, I’m interested to see how Webb and Ponder do, lets go Vikes !!!! This is regarding AP, you know the Vikings will resign him, they’d be silly not to !!! Possibly a 4 year 50-60 million dollar contract, is he worth it, absolutely !!!

63. By D Swanson on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Who is the fool who called Farve her majesty. He is only the man who gave
    us the best quarterbacking and generalship the Vikes ever had!!! Who would you
    prefer –maybe T Jackson who would run the ball out of bounds for a 10 yd loss
    after playing in the pros for 3 years!!!!!! Some of you people on here don’t even
    follow pro football do you!!!!!

64. By lui on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

what ever we do keep tony carter and Marcus Sherels these two guys are good thanks to them our defense hold up against Seattle watch the tape

65. By Stoney on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

D Swan. i’m with you dude, hated Brett as a packer, loved him as a vike!

66. By Frederick Jones on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

This blog would be poison to a Vikings player or Coach.

You could get addicted if you were doing well, and the comments were
    favorable.

That’s something we have not experienced since 2009.