Herrera Ready To Prove It

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 25, 2011 – 1:33 pm

We live in a “what have you done for me lately” world these days and life in the NFL is no exception. What we’ve come to know and understand in one moment can change in a big way and in a small amount of time.

Vikings G Anthony Herrera knows that lesson well.

Herrera came to the Vikings and the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2004 and was on the 53-man roster for the final 8 games of that season. In 2005 he fought his way into the starting lineup for the final 6 games, but then he was inactive for 13 games in 2006. Finally in 2007 Herrera cracked the starting lineup and stayed there. He was the starter at RG for the final 12 games of that season and remained there ever since.

Then Herrera suffered a knee injury 10 games into the 2010 season, which landed him on the Reserve/Injured list. Seemingly from that moment on, many questioned whether Herrera would make it back to the starting lineup. Being a competitive and fiery individual, the sentiment that he might not make it back to the lineup probably bothered Herrera.

But it also seems to have motivated him to prove everyone wrong. Again.

When you make an NFL roster and eventually become a productive starter after joining the League as an undrafted free agent, you demonstrate an ability and willingness to prove yourself. According to Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier, that’s exactly the mindset Herrera has right now.

“Oh yeah, he has something to prove,” Frazier said on Thursday when asked if he thought Herrera was playing with a chip on his shoulder. “And he wants to prove something to everybody, including us as coaches [as to] whether or not he can do it. We’re all excited to see him come back and play and we’re all pulling for him. He’s a tremendous competitor, a leader for our offensive line and our team and we’re all pulling for him and hoping for the best.”

The best would be if Herrera could play and start in Saturday night’s game against the Dallas Cowboys, and also come out of that game feeling healthy. Whether or not Herrera will be ready to go for Week 1 in San Diego on September 11, no one knows for sure. Right now, Frazier said, the plan is for Herrera to start the game and get an extended look with the first-team offense.

“We’ll have a better determination after this game,” Frazier said. “He’s going to play for the first time in a long time, so we’ll have to get some stuff on tape, talk to him after the ballgame and just see where he is. And just try to make a decision going forward.”

I wouldn’t bet against him.

Tags: ,

73 Responses to “Herrera Ready To Prove It”

1. By Daniel on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

To me, he was a big hole in our line. I`ve seen alot of games and way too many times, up comes the rush straight threw sully and Herrera. Watch him close guys. They will attack us there. Mckinnie protected better. Heck, Sullavin was better. Good luck Herrera. I Hope you do well, but I have my doubts.

2. By Pablo jacques CASTRO on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

ANTHONY HERRERA Y STEVE HUSTCHINSON SON LOS MEJORES GUARDIAS QUE TENEMOS Y TAMBIEN SON LOS MEJORES DE LA NFL EN LA ACTUALIDADA , PERO NECESITAMOS QUE ESTE AL CIEN PORCIENTO SR HERRERA PARA PODER CONTAR CON EL EN LA TEMPORADA, PARA MI ES UNO DE LOS MEJORS GUARDIAS QUE TENEMOS, ES UN JUGADOR QUE INTEGRA AL EQUIPO, ES PROFESIONAL Y SE ENTREGA CADA PARTIDO AL 110 % …. VAMOS HERREA TU PUEDES !!!! TU EQUIPO TE NECESITA , TUS AFIIONACIONADOS TE NECESITAN !!!!

3. By Viking Joe on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

McKinney was great 3 years ago, then he got complacent, speed rushers had a field day against him, good luck in Baltimore.

4. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if Pablo knows that nobody understands what he said. What’s the point in posting your opinion if the people who are most likely to read it can’t comprehend it?

5. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

.ydoraP tniop dooG

6. By Norsepower on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Herrera is allright. I would like to see Cooper step up his game and replace Sullivan though. Sully has never impressed me, I miss Matty B

7. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

What is with the introductory sentence to this blog? Now I have that song in my head.

8. By Carl K on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

nova – your post says – good point parody
    Pablo – your post says – Herrera plays like a girl

9. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

.avoN sknahT

10. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think so Carl. While I am fluent in one of the romance languages, it is not Spanish, but I can decipher enough– it seems he is praising Herra as one of the best guards in football.

11. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Parody don’t get Nova going, he needs to have his wits about him and know which direction is which when that hurricane hits.

12. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a feeling that we won’t hear anything about a new deal for AP until after a conclusion comes to Chris Johnson’s holdout? With how stubborn he’s being, and knowing that AP is the better player, that could end up costing the Vikings more than it does the Titans…

13. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

.ti ot ytinummi na dliub mih pleh dna yzarc eht otni mih esae ew fi retteb eb dluow ti ebyaM ?sutiT taht tuoba erus uoy erA

14. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Sure, Parody, condition him to insanity. It’s been done before. Problem is, it cannot be undone. Poor Sonja would be an orphan.

15. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get Randy Moss out of retirement– there must be a few extra million in Zygi’s wallet.

16. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Pablo

Como se dice en ingles…por favor.

17. By steve on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

i’m a long time viking fan and i can’t for the life of me understand how they let rice go without offering him a contract and he signs for 8 mill a year, you people do realize that berrians original contract was for 7 mill a year right and how many probowls has he been to? and titus you want them to go after moss the quitter? i play when i wanna play and that’s not very often. most peoples arguement is favre made rice which isn’t true rice had the talent coming out they just didn’t have a smart enough qb to realize it like favre did.

18. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I have no opinion one way or the other about Herrera. He may be great when healthy, he may not be that great anytime. Injuries are so tough on these guys, and staying at the top means playing with pain. Hopefully our linemen are healthy all season, so they can show us their best for 16 weeks!

19. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss

20. By steve on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

what’s in zigy’s wallet is of no concern when there is a cap in place, personally i think they have enough receiver talent, i’m hoping the game plan is to use AD to beat defenses up, the old ground and pound and good defense wins championships.

21. By Melvin on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I’m anxious to see the starters play longer especially on the defensive side of the ball. Everyone is talking about how the Cowboys have upgraded their offensive line so this should be a great opportunity for our defensive line to prove itself.

22. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Steve, the wallet, well there was an innuendo there.

23. By Melvin on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Defintely agree with Steve about the ground game and defense. I’m hoping the Cowboys will try to establish their running game early. This will prove once and for all that the new “D” Line starters can not only rush the QB but also stop the run. It should be very interesting since the Cowboys had good success last week running the ball.

24. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Cowboys will be tough. I am concerned.

25. By ACust on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

It seems like everyone has something to “prove” this year. After seeing how horrible a year of entitlement turned out for us, its good to finally see the fight and drive back in so many players. Im jacked to see what hereera can do with his new found drive, as well as the rest of the team. Frazier has gotten this teams attitude on the perfect path.

26. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Do you think the Cowboys remember the 34-3 win in the playoffs a couple years ago? What is the name of that big mouth who agitated at Jared when we scored in the last minutes

27. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Keep an eye on Cowboys Tyron Smith. If he was available at the Vikings 12 pick of draft, I was hoping they would call his name. I thought they would address O-line or Secondary in first pick but I think Ponder was good/surprise pick.

28. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I still can’t believe that the Cowboys were so upset that we ran up the score on them. It was a playoff game! Better to run up the score than play it safe and watch them come back from behind, coughcoughdennygreencoughcoughcough. Besides, didn’t they hear our fight song? It says “Run up the score!” They’d be dishonoring tradition if they didn’t try to accomplish what they did that night.

29. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I love how Jimmy Johnson had no problem with the score (he said if they don’t like it, then stop them from scoring) and Terry Bradshaw whined that he would not have done that final touchdown. What is the name of that big mouth?

30. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Keith Brooking was the dude who cried after the game about how we scored our last TD. That had to me one of the most unmanliest post-game rants. Oh, it’s number two to T.O. “He’s my quarterback!” They should have played Michael Jackson’s “She’s outta my life” in the background when T.O. neutered himself on that one.

31. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Arrow– thank you, that was driving me nuts– I knew it was a name with an ing, but I could not place it. What a cryhaby. Is he still a Cowboy?

32. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Parody:

The Cowboys are to the NFL what Nebraska is to college football. When they kick the crud out of someone, it’s because they’re America’s team. When they get a visit to the woodshed, there are always a million of the stupidist excuses. Brady James called out his teammates this week about excuses. I’m am sick of Romo and his sausagefest bachelor party. I hope our d-line tests the softness of the Metrodome turf with Tony’s back.

33. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

*crybaby – no I was not making new words

34. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus:

He’s still one of the boys. He’ll be the Kleenex player of the week come Saturday night.

35. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I have a friend who is a die hard Cowboys fan. He keeps bringing up when the Vikings made the playoffs and played the Cowboys. He said he always remembers how Emmitt Smith ran all over us. I always say, get over it !!!

36. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Mike — remind your friend of the 98 game on Turkey day– Vikes scored three TDs in the first quarter against Aikman and friends.

37. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I also remember at the dome a game when the boys were killing us- I think it was the year or two after the 98 season– and suddenly we stormed back in the second half– I loved screaming and yelling — lots of their fans were in the dome– they had been giving us so much grief the first half. That was a fond memory– we beat them.

38. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I just don’t understand what makes the Cowboys America’s team? Who got to decide that? If it’s just based on team name, then Eagles and Patriots have to both be better choices. If it’s based on winning the big game, that has to give the Patriots the nod once more, at least in recent years.

39. By Shawn on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus , I love the Moss blog … might have been one of your best blogs ever written and Im with ya … BRING BACK MOSS BRINGBACK MOSS

40. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Shawn

41. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

For your viewing pleasure…

42. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

43. By Shawn on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus i had to read it again and that last line is beautifull …

bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss bring back moss

Good stuff

44. By Shawn on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

i think Moss could replace that guy Mike Wobs is always talking about …. Berrian or something? … but I never see him in the game

45. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

Trust me. I let him know. It was funny how in 98 how it didn’t matter how defense played, the offense always got their back (and the wins).

46. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I believe Moss lit it up against the Boys that year because they passed on him in the draft. The Cowboys, as I remember,needed a WR that year.

47. By Shawn on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

48. By Shawn on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

i am having internet connection issues this week … did that video show up?

49. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – yes, video showed up and works

50. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

looks like I will miss the game Sat unless I tape it– but I don’t think I will– it’s just preseason– just got a text invite to a CD release

51. By Lol on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

people actually want Moss back?

lmfao. that’s as bad as people thinking Tebow is good

52. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Said the person who is posting on this site for the first time…

53. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I think there is a Broncos fan here. Tebow…maybe Orton or Quinn??

54. By Vikes fan in San Diego on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Pablo said:
    “Hutch & Herrera are the best linemen we have and are among the best guards in the NFL. Before throwing him back in we have to be sure he’s 100% & ready for the season. Herrera is a professional and integral to the success of the team, he gives 110%. Come on Herrera you can do it! Your team needs you and the fans need you!”

-It’s really one of the better posts I’ve read on here. Most of you may not be able to read it but it’s more literate and passionate than alot of the nonsense people feel compelled to publish on here.
    ¡SKOL!

55. By Tim on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings are Gonna give the Cowboys a beating on Saturday SKOL VIKINGS.

56. By Rick on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

here is my thoughts on the game against the cowgirls, who cares! i just want to see the offense continue to improve and the defense fly to the ball like they did in seattle. Some mistakes might not be a bad thing last thing we want is the team headed into the season with a big head once a team feels they have nothing to improve on they are dead in the water

57. By Tim on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I Respect every team in the NFL but When they face the Vikings they are the Enemy.I gotta say though my favorite rivalry is the Packers i have been a Vikings fan since 1998 when i was sixteen years old and even though our vikings have not won the superbowl every season we win a game against a big time playoff contender like the Eagles last season and to me thats pretty rewarding but mark my words with in five years our Vikings are gonna win the superbowl.

58. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Titus- you are so wise. I was only kidding about what Pablo wrote.
    Viking fan in San Diego already told us what it really said.
    I am happy Herrera is back and I am confident he can help us win all 8 games before the bye. Good luck in your come back Herrera.

59. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

It would not surprise me to see both C Johnson and Adrian Peterson get the franchise tag next year – then hit the free agent market after the 2012 season. It breaks my heart to see this happening… but that is the NFL. Everyone wants to be the highest paid player.

60. By Rocksalt on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

IMO
    It seems Frazier would not tolerate Moss’s antics. I would like to know what he thought about Moss;s boorish behavior last year,,,,,,

61. By 3DONTHERADIO on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt I agree with your comment and hope that they DO NOT BRING MOSS back – too much of a headcase and definitely not a fit for the culture Frazier’s trying to instill in this team – a culture I really like. Moss WAS a great receiver and very fun to watch – probably could have surpassed all of Jerry Rice’s numbers – except he’s always been a headcase, as well as me first-team second type of mentality. Titus, Shawn, Parody – get over it – he’s not coming back. Thank goodness for that !

62. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Greenway is the guy we have to come to terms with first (we can franchise AP and get another year to work his deal out).
    I am not sure why Greenway is taking so long??? The market has already been set with other OLBs getting deals done. He should fall right into place.
    He seems happy and a perfect fit as a Viking.

63. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Spielman- you are starting to scare me, Signing Greenway should be a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

64. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Carl, but I paid my dues to gain fluency in another language– although Spanish differs considerably, my French allows me to read Spanish and get a sense of what is said.

65. By Carl K on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Titus- I have trouble with just English… I admire people who can grasp multiple languages.

BTW, how do you say “are you ready for some football” in French?

66. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Êtes-vous prêt pour certains le football? Carl, I studied formally for eight years and continually work at it on my own, plus I have several friends from French speaking countries– I need to constantly keep it in front of me– I lost a lot for a while but recently have determined to get it back. So, you can admire, but you can do it too– takes a lot of work. I know some Kiswahili– it is easy to pronounce, but difficult to write because so many variations exist between east African countries.

67. By Erik the Red on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I feel like this conversation has gone off topic, but maybe it’s just me. Anyway, carry on.

Oh, and go Vikings, lets do better then last year, which I hope won’t be too hard to do.

68. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Erik – It’s the way things go around here. Most of the time conversations don’t even start on topic.

69. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Just take a look at the newest thread, “Visit the Vikings at the State Fair“. Its topic is pretty clear, but the first post are about former undrafted hall of famers, while folloiwing posts are speculation on APs contract negotiations. Indisputably, none of the posts even come close to the topic.

70. By Titus on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

We’re all a bunch of nuts!

71. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I just watched an interview of AP who said his favorite away field to play at is Soldier Field. He explained that it was because of the history of Walter Payton, among other things, but I think that even if he didn’t say it, the fact that it was the place where he set a couple of NFL records helps solidfy this decision.

72. By Carl K on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I am a sweet raisin mixed in with the nuts.

73. By Carl K on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Parody- I have a feeling AP is not done setting records at Soldier Field.
    It is time for me to go find the pre game show with my man Paul Allen.
    Go Vikes.