Frazier Says Webb Will Be #2 QB Saturday

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 25, 2011 – 12:51 pm

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier met with reporters after practice today and he said that Joe Webb will be the team’s #2 QB in Saturday’s preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys. Webb and rookie Christian Ponder are in a closely-contested battle for the backup job behind veteran Donovan McNabb.

Frazier was also clear in explaining that neither guy has emerged as a favorite to be the team’s backup for the regular season. Both Ponder and Webb have performed well in camp and displayed improvement from preseason game #1 in Tennessee to the preseason game #2 in Seattle. Webb was the #2 in Tennessee and Ponder took those duties last week against Seattle.

The third preseason game is typically when starters get the most playing time and Frazier said he and the coaching staff are anticipating the roster beginning to shape after Saturday night. He even hinted that McNabb may not play much, if at all, in the Vikings preseason finale next Thursday against Houston.

“We’ve got some key decisions that we have to make at certain positions,” Frazier said. “This game, and I told our team this morning, will play a major rule in determining where some people are going to fit on our squad.”

Tags: , , ,

56 Responses to “Frazier Says Webb Will Be #2 QB Saturday”

1. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I think this is a pretty fair way for both Ponder and Webb to show what they can do. I am impressed with all 3 qbs on the depth chart. I also like the idea of letting the Ponder, Webb, and Bomar play the Thursday night game. Bomar may have what it takes to be a good backup in the N.F.L. maybe the Vikes can keep him on a practice squad this season.

2. By Woodboat on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

It’s be nice for Bomar to get a little playing time on thursday. He obviously isn’t going to be on the 53 man squad for the Vikes. Getting him some field time gives his agent some tape to shop to other teams.

I really don’t think it matters who is the number 2 QB on the VIkes. If McNabb goes down, they’ll play either Webb or Ponder. Whichever one that comes in is going to be on a short leash, regardless. If the #2 doesn’t have rapid success, the other will get his shot.

Personally I’m pulling for Ponder. He may not have all the physical skills that Webb has, but Ponder is one of the smartest players in the league. Being mentally quick gives the OC that much more latitude towards what he can do with the squad. Of course, on the other hand, if Big Ben can be successful in the league, it must not be absolutely necessary to be intelligent.

Regardless, I think the team can’t really make a wrong choice between the two.

3. By Robins on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Ponder and Webb are our future so I am excited that they get to both play a lot in this game. Ponder should be taking over soon for McNabb who is past his prime.

4. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Where did you guys hear that Bomar will be getting playing time on Thursday? Maybe the plan is to have Ponder and Webb each take a half…

5. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb should at least be playing a half or even a lil more this coming Sat. I think then that Webb and Ponder will play a quarter each. Frazier has already mentioned that Mcnabb will play very lil if at all in preseason final so i think lke Parody that Webb and Ponder will play a half each and the order will be determined based on their preformance againt Cowboys. I dont think Bomar will get a chance . He kinda sealed his faith with vikes with that DUI i dont think frazier would cut a well like Player like Mckinney for being over weight and then go ahead and give Bomar a shot with a DUi i think he is runnung team great and letting it be known he wont tolerate Negativity but he is a nice guy so doing it in a nice way lol.

6. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Abdullah has 1 safety spot locked down and i think he will be a pro bowler if not this season then next. He had a solid season last yr and considering it was his 1st season as starter i will glady take the 75 plus tackles and 3ints he gave us. I look for a improvement this yr . He will be good.
    Does anyone have a opinion on who should start other safety spot Jonson or Sanford? I have’nt seen enough of either to determine who i think would be better.

7. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Frazier is making the young kids work hard for their spot. He will probably want to see both Ponder and Webb play against first stringers– at least Ponder for sure, because we all saw Webb play against some good defenses last year in the regular season– Chicago and Philly to be exact.

8. By Bornagain1 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I really like Joe Webb, but they did not draft Ponder early in the first round for him to be a long term back up. I believe that they signed McNabb to a 1 year contract. This should hopefully be long enough for Ponder to be ready to take the helm. I also think that he has the complete package to become a VERY GOOD NFL QB. He is already being praised for his early ability to read defenses. He can make the throws (61.5%) completion percentage in 25+ college starts. High IQ and good athleticism. Good leadership skills. If he can learn to make smart/quick decisions, I believe we have our franchise QB for a while! Go Vikes!

9. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Also we are all Viking Fans so i just wanted to share a little personal info. If anyone has ever had a funny situation happen while on a date, then i think you would like my book i wrote. It is a humorous date book only 92 pages. I am not trying to sell it or anything , i am just letting you know that if you enjoy readind that you may like the silly easy to read book. It is titled My Hot Date. Any with interest i can email it to you, and if no interest it is cool.

10. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Our 1st 8 games are against at San diego, Tampa Bay, Detroit, at Kansas City, Arizona, at Chicago, Greenbay, and at Carolina. I feel we will beat Tampa, Arizona and Detroit since we are at home. He will beat Carolina and Chicago on road. I feel confident about those games. Detroit will be very solid this yr bit we play well at home so i feel we will beat them. San diego worries me because we are on road and its the 1st game. I feel we will still be finding team chemistry. And Greenbay worries me since we usually play them close. I leave with stomach pains after we play Greenbay every yr cause its usually close except for last yr sadly. So i predict 6-2 record by mid point . I will be happy with 5-3 also , very happy!

11. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Forgive me for this observation Kenny, but your writing style doesn’t exactly exude the qualities of a professional author.

12. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Parody, come on man, give Kenny a break. He does have the right predictions– 6 or 7 wins in the first 8 are my guesses.

13. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Sigh Parody i really like you . I knew someone would probaly try to say something of that nature, but i thought you would be more positive. But yes in fact i wrote a book and many writers have editors. I did the creative story telling and had it edited. It is a simple book that is meant to be humorous. I know this is a Football blog, i just though to mention it since i feel i acomplised something , no matter how it turns out. I do forgive you for your obsevation. Maybe you will take 5 mins. to maybe read it over then give more of a observation. Either way i know everyone is free tp post how they feel on site, so thank you for being honest. Also just to let you know i am hearing impaird and lost my hearing at 19yrs old. I text almost 99 percent of the time and most people who text used short cuts in spelling and gramer. i am so use to to texting that it finds it way into my responses.

14. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@ bornagain1 I was upset when vikes selected Ponder at 12, but since that time i have really started to like him. He has all the attributes you mentioned. 1 negative about his college days were that i think he had a high interception to TD ratio. He had a high amount of ints. I just hope he is not rushed. I think 2yrs behind a vet would do him a great service like Rodgers from GB

15. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus- which games do you have us winning through the 1st 8 ?

16. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Kenny, I am sure your stories are great. I am a professional writer and one of my gigs right now just happens to be ghostwriting a book for someone else– Many books are not actually written by the author who is named on the cover.

17. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus, Thanks. Yes i can come up with the creative part just find. I can create the story and have wriiten a script, but i always need a editor. I am just to impatient to actaully sit and make all the corrections and proof reading. Maybe send me some of your work some day. I love to read. Also i will love reading corrections from all football magazine who predicted Vikes finishing last in division !

18. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I think we will win all the first eight games EXCEPT — this is tough to predict, but I would say the KC, Chicago, and Panthers games will be the toughest– If I had to bet I would say two of those three– most likely at Chicago.

19. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Yes i left KC out. I think they will be tough since we play them at Home. They had very good home record last season. I think by the time we play Chicago that we will have already found our identity and be a force. San diego worries me because i feel our secondary wil take the longest along with our OL to reach their peak. So San d will test us in both those areas..But i always root for 16-0, so i want that 1st game badly

20. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

That first game is so important for momentum. To start the season with a road win against a decent team would be excellent. With Mcnabb and Peterson and a good defense, it is possible we will beat KC– I saw some of the playoff game last year– KC hosted the Ravens, I think — and KC did not look good.

21. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Would one of you professional authors kindly write a new weather forcast for us? Apparently Hurricane Irene has her “eye” on us.

22. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Keep Sonja on the upper floors.

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

She goes insane in bad storms.

24. By Carl K on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Nova- Now that sounds like a good book.

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

GOOD ONE CARL! LOLOL

26. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Or I could just write a book called ” She goes insane ” about my ex-wife.

27. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny – I was in pretty much the same mindset when Ponder was drafted. Two great defenders were still on the board, and we went with a QB who was predicted to be a 2nd rounder. I understand the reasoning behind picking him now, and I believe he can do great things if we give him the chance.

I thought you may have been wrong about him having an interception problem, so I looked into his college stats. I found that he threw 30 INTs to 49TDs, in 965 attempts. That eqautes to 3% INTs and 5% TDs. For the pros, both numbers are very respectable. Peyton Manning is at 2.7% INTs to 5.5% TDs, but the pros are a different game. So we can only wait to see how well Ponder’s stats transfer to the NFL.

The one thing that I remember hearing that Ponder lacked is arm strength, meaning he can’t chuck the ball as deep downfield as you’d like out of your starting QB. I think the coaches are handling that problem well though, by putting a couple of great TEs on the team for him to throw to, keeping a good arrangement of running backs who can run and catch, having WRs with blocking capabilities, and it doesn’t hurt to have Harvin for him to throw to, who can grab the short routes and juke around to pick up yards after the catch.

28. By Viking Joe on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

It will be interesting to see if Webb has a good outing,but don’t forget Ponder is the future, all said I still think McNabb hopefully will warrant an extension.

29. By Bornagain1 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

To add to parady’s comments. I believe that Ponder is much like Montana. I am NOT saying he is Montana, but arm strength isn’t that important if you are in the right system with appropriate players. See Drew Breese, Montana, others. I think we made the right pick for our team,. We’ll see!

30. By VegasVike on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I’m thinking Ponder relates to Brad Johnson, not a lot of distance but a quick, accurate short game. 14 wasn’t the greatest QB, I wouldn’t compare him to Montana, Manning or anyone of that caliber but he does have a ring.

31. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody- Yes i see you checked Ponders numbers. I did not calculate the percentage like you broke down…i jus saw 30 as in 30 ints to 49 touchdowns. When you break those down over his total attempts it does’nt seem to bad and when you say 3% ints rate and 5% td it also doe’nt look to bad. But i look at it a bit differently. Let’s say he or anyother QB had 49 touch downs in a season but had 30 ints. I dont think his season would look as great. People would say ” 49 tds! but wow 30 picks! Eli Manning had 31 tds and 25 picks last yr and while his 32 td and over 4000 yard were impressive, all you hear about are his high # of picks 25.

I realize that Ponders rate is lower than Eli’s last season but i just think out of all the positives i’ve seen from Ponder , those ints stand out a tad bit. If u compare Ponders to Farve i am sure Farve is worst than ponder or close to it since Farve has all time record for ints but also Tds. So people will say , ” hey if Ponder is aanywhere near as good as Farve , i will love it” But viking fans will have nitemares and flashbacks to the silly Int Farve threw againt saints in NFC championship game hhaha.

I have grown to really like Ponder and think he will be great if not rushed but his int to td ratio over his carrer is higher or worst than almost all the QB taken after or before him…Gabbert, Dalton , Newton, Kaepernick and he close to Locker, even Tebow who can not break top 2 on his team has a lower rate. You are correct when you point out that NFL is different from College so we will see.

I agree with you Bornagain1. I think he can be like a Montana. He has same attributs Montana had. Montana was smart also but lacked arm strength. Lets hope than Ponder will have a Jerry rive ot taylor on his team when he starts.

32. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

that is Rice not rive typos as usual sorry

33. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

WK 1 -8 preseason predictions.
    GM 1; Bolts
    The Vikes have a long history of having really close games in the first 2 weeks, and honestly the first 2 weeks are the worst to look at to judge a team. The Chargers are always a solid team, and were on the road. I say either Bolts win or we squeak it out. 70 / 30 Bolts

GM 2; Bucs
    Its a home game against a team that has traditionally not done well against the Run. I say AP gets 100 + Yards. Although the Bucs look better than passed seasons, Vikes Win. 85 / 15 Vikes

GM 3 Lions
    Lions are no longer the Lie Downs. Gone are the four seasons totalling 5 wins. Tough Defense, Improving offense. WEAK secondary. Assuming McNabb can make a few bombs and the O-line can hold, Vikes WIn. 65 / 35 Vikes

34. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Are you stopping at game 3 Skol_Vikes98? I was looking forward to seeing 5 more breakdowns. I like how you’re laying these out with a realistic grasp of the potential.

35. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

GM 4 Cheifs.
    The Cheifs, after making the playoffs last year, look like an 8-8 team to me at best. Not enough personel upgrades to fix their holes, weakest training camp ever. I don’t think they’ll be on all cylanders (sp) anyway. It is a road game (which ill probably go too) but assuming the Vikes line holds, I give the edge to Vikes. 60/40 Vikes win.

GM 5 Cards
    Kevin Klob, McNabbs replacement that wasn’t. The Cardinals have potential, but again I think too many weaknesses and I don’t think Klob will be settled in yet. Its a home game, and I think McNabb will have that extra juice. The Cards D is suspect as well. The Cards probably remember last years come back, so they might be hot too. Intese game, but I say homefield advantage carries the team through. 70/30 Vikes

GM 6 Bears
    This a road game at night. Maybe it was just because Favre is a grandpa, the Vikings over the last few years do not seem to play as well at night. Road game, tough Bears team. The Bears did lose some key OL players and didnt do much to upgrade. Cutler was on his back more than anyone else last season. Vikes also have weakened line. This game will be fought in the trenches. This is really a toss up, but I give a slight edge to the Bears because of our loss of McKinney and its a road game. I say Bears 58 / 42 Bears.

GM 7 PACK
    Its too early to tell if the Pack will fall on post SuperBowl funk syndrom or acutally put together another run. Last year, they didn’t win the division and they certainly have weaknesses. We did play them well in the first game season, minus the fact that Chilly probably cost us the game/ Its a little far out for a good prediction, as I think injuries and chemisty will be the tell tale for the Vikes, so I’ll say home team adavantage. 55-45 Vikes

GM 8 Panthers
    Unless Newton actually is a walking football god, I’d say this as close to a gimme game well get in the first half of the season, with the Cheifs in second. The Panthers D hasn’t shown me anything to prove that they have recovered from the loss of Peppers. I’ll place a side bet that the Panthers have a carousel at QB causing further disruptions. I say Vikes win 80 / 20.

36. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

sorry Paradoy got side track for a bit

37. By steve on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

just putting my 2 cents in but just because the vikings drafted ponder at 12 doesn’t make him a shoe in for the vikings future, and i am a huge joe webb fan but i was also a huge tyler thygpen fan and childress really blew it on him because of t-jack, don’t get me wrong i was mad when they drafted ponder and since then he has grew on me, all i’m saying is where he was drafted does not make him the teams future if webb outperforms him then webb will be the teams future and webb is alot smarter than some might give him credit for and has a big arm.

38. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Bornagain1:

Montana is not known for many statements, but one that always sticks out in my mind is when he said, “Some people throw darts at balloons. I throw balloons at darts.”

I think Ponder has a decent arm, probably stronger than Montana’s. It’s great to be optimistic, but it’s tough to be compared to a Montana or Brady, unless…..you’re married to a supermodel!

39. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Even if Webb is the 2nd best QB on the team, wouldn’t it make more sense to list him as 3rd on the depth chart. The Vikings could then use him in every game with special packages and still bring him in under center if they need him.

40. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Further thoughts on the Pack game, which maybe I’m wrong, by the Bolts and Pack are our 2 first real huge aerial attack teams. As I stated earlier, the first week of the season isn’t a real measuring stick so I’ll leave them out. The Bears its a battle of the lines moreso than WR v DB. The Pack do not have much of a run game so that’s a pair of games where the DB’s are going to be huge. Like most fans I’m a little nervous about our backfield being burned again. I think this game will be a huge test for a guy like Chris Cook, who I really think has the stuff to be a good one. At this point I really really really hope M. Sherels does well enough to make the team. With the division that we have …. even the NFL in general, the path to the Super Bowl is lead by how the Aerial attack plays out.

41. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Great breakdown Skol. I agree with most of your projections, with some slight variations, but that’s inevitable with any two people’s opinion. I think that the Packer game will be the toughest home game we have this year, so if we can come out with the win on that one we’ll all know that the team has made a huge turn around for the season.

42. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny: Post when your funny datebook is out in paperback and I’ll buy it. That reminds me of my first date. I think it was in one of Granny’s ice-box cookies!!!!!!!!

43. By Arrow86 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Skol:

To beat the Packers we’ll need a heck of a pass rush, because Rodgers has really improved on finding that 2nd,3rd, or even 4th receiver. This will be fun to see what Pagac comes up with in regards to blitz’s. He likes bringing Antoine because if he gets in range of the quarterback, he doesn’t miss.

44. By Lance The Red on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I know I am going to get jumped all over on this…. But I really do think the vikings should not have picked up Ponder in the 1st round. I like Ponder don’t get me wrong I just think it was a silly position for the vikings to take him at.

We all knew Mcnabb was coming to the vikings, say what you want abou tthe lockout and didnt give us enough time for ponder… Most people knew or felt mcnabb would be in minny even before the draft. No, that in mind with a guy like Webb who showed us he can come in and win… he showed great skill… To me he is a younf vick. We just need mcnabb to farm up webb. Look t vick himself? he had all the running and scrambling skills like webb had when he was in atlanta. He couldnt throw many td’s at all his aim and arm was not at par with the rest of the nfl… He played under mcnabb in philly and all of a sudden he is throwing great precentages and TD’s? everyone think he learned to throw in jail? I think he can do the same for webb and one day we will have our michael vick.

Sorry to the ponder lovers out here but hey, I am not dissing Ponder I just think we already had our qb of the future…. and we could have drafted Nick Fairley instead :)

45. By Lance The Red on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

oh and go get Darren Sharper :) we need him again :)

46. By Troy on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

i also heard ponder had a weak arm, but i never watched him in college.. watch this. and notice his feet are not even set..

47. By Troy on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

only bad thing about that video… our 6th round pick mistral raymond is the coverage :pp

48. By Parody on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

The greatest plays are the ones where you beat the greatest opponents ;)

49. By Kenny on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@ Arrow86 i can send it to you through email anytime. The proofs. It is only 92 pages and a easy read. I think you might find some chapters humurous. I also think that our 1st game against Chargers will be a high scoring game. I see us getting behind early and then airing it out to catch up. As hard as i’ve been on berrian. I think he will have over hundred yds. Our secondary will start to play better later in game.

50. By Jake on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@ tony, i watched a lot of FSU ball , all of ponders career i love that play, no lack of arm.

51. By Rudso on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I don’t agree with your opinion on the first game for the Vikings vs. Chargers. The Chargers are a good team with good players but history shows the Chargers start off really slow in the season and usually pick it up towards the end of the season. The Vikings have something to prove coming out this season and I’m sure teams will be expecting a 6-10 team when in reality we all know we are better than that.

Not to mention does anyone remember what happened the last time the Vikings played the Chargers? :) Anyone care to guess?

I see us winning this game. I can’t wait for it either, I have 2 tickets to that game for my sister and I. Finally get to see the Vikings play in person!

52. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Viking Joe,

You betray your name. Joe Webb is only one year older than Ponder !

I believe it will be a battle for several years between Webb and Ponder.

It isn’t unusual for teams to have quarterback battles. For now, it’s McNabb, who may very well have 4 or 5 more good years left as the starter.

53. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Rudso,

The last time we played the Chargers Adrian Peterson ran for an NFL record 296 yards ! ! !

54. By godsson on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

IM a die hard vikes fan an i see 1 qb an ONLY 1 ITS WEB get rid of the rest an let web play it out 1st string starter then an only then will he become the vick we got an watch what he can do have faith an yes ponder was a wasted pick.

55. By VikesFanOfAZ on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I would say that I am most interested in our new Tight end Kyle Rudolph. That kid is going to be a star! Great hands and looks to be able to break the first tackle. DA VIKES!

56. By Troy on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

we also have the undrafted tight end allen reisner from iowa. do i see the plan of our two tight end set for a long time to come after shiancoe is gone?? shiancoe also said the kid is gonna be good