McNabb Says Offense Is Coming Along; Practice Observations

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 24, 2011 – 3:41 pm

Vikings QB Donovan McNabb met with reporters after practice on Wednesday, just three days before the Vikings suit up for preseason game #3. Typically the third preseason game is when starters see the most playing time, so Saturday night’s contest against the Dallas Cowboys should give us a pretty good glimpse into just how much progress the Vikings offense has made.

Remember, coming off a lockout that canceled all Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and minicamps in addition to a new Offensive Coordinator and starting QB has the Vikings a bit behind the 8 ball. But the Vikings won’t use that as an excuse for poor play, largely because many other teams are enduring the same or similar disadvantages and also because there’s a sense among many on this team that the offense is making strides.

“We’re getting very close, we’re getting very close,” McNabb said about the chemistry developing between himself and the receivers. “I’m excited with where we’re at right now and those guys kind of have a feel of where I may place the ball [when] they come out of their routes. I have a feel of how they’re going to come out of their routes.

“But again, each game is different and it’s a learning process for all of us and hopefully once the whistle blows come Game One we’re right where we want to be.”

That’s the goal – to be ready to go once Week 1 rolls around and then to continue getting better from that point forward. It seemed as if the Vikings offense made a step forward in that effort on Wednesday. During one full team period of practice, I was standing just behind Musgrave and I heard him complement the Vikings offense a number of times on their spacing and timing.

“We had a good day today,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said after practice, speaking about his entire team. “I really believe we got better in some areas. We worked a little bit of short yardage, some goal line and some two-minute. Great weather again for us to practice in, which really helps a lot as you’re trying to mold the team and get the team ready for our third preseason game.

“I think we’re moving in the right direction,” Frazier continued. “This game on [Thursday] night will give us a better indication of where we are and how far we have to go to be ready for our first regular season game.”

Here are a few observations from practice…

– The Vikings worked for roughly two hours on Wednesday in full pads and in warm, breezy conditions.

– Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe, who returned to practice from a hamstring injury on Tuesday, was not out on the field taking part in practice on Wednesday. Frazier said Shiancoe incurred a setback, but said it was not a major setback. The Vikings ultimately decided to hold him back on Wednesday rather than risk further injury.

– With Shiancoe on the sidelines, rookie TE Kyle Rudolph saw a few more reps. He’s had a tremendous training camp so far and he was very good on Wednesday. The one aspect of Rudolph’s game that I notice the most is how sure-handed he is; you rarely, if ever, see him take his eye off the ball before he secures it and moves upfield. He also rarely traps the football against his body to catch it.

– There was some pretty good action in the goal line portion of Wednesday’s practice. On three straight plays, the Vikings defense made stops against the scout team. On the first play, DT Letroy Guion penetrated and stopped a run in the backfield. On the second play, the offense used a play-action fake to try and fool the defense but LB Erin Henderson did not bite and was able to tip the pass and cause an incompletion. On the third and final play of the series, DT Christian Ballard and CB Cedric Griffin combined to stop a run short of the goal line.

– WR Percy Harvin made the play of the day on a pass from rookie QB Christian Ponder. Harvin was flying down the left sideline and was able to catch up to and dive under a pass that Ponder had launched downfield. Harvin came up with the ball, secured it all the way to the ground and then quickly got to his feet and completed the play by dashing to the endzone. This was one of the plays when Musgrave complemented Ponder and Harvin on “great timing.” In fact, Musgrave made the “great timing” comment as Ponder’s pass was in the air and about 75% of the way to where Harvin ended up making the catch.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

127 Responses to “McNabb Says Offense Is Coming Along; Practice Observations”

1. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

come on fans let get it on about this and see who’s right I’m making a bold prediction, I say bb will have a breakout season and will be the #1 reciever this yr for the team and him and mc Nabb will become the talk of the nfl.. Just like favre had his favorate and most qb’s do also bb will be Mc Nabb’s and he will show he wants to be a true player on this team. Remember how AP was fumble prone and only fumbled last yr 1 thine, this is how we will see bb yes he will drop a couple all recievers do but he will perform way beyond what most believe. I will get a lot of negitive responses from this but bring it on.

2. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Another voice of pure wisdom!!!! Vikings fan1955, I agree. Berrian will do very well this season. 7-1 at the bye.

3. By NYViking on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I believe Berrian is poised to have a stellar year. Get ready for the Berrian and Harvin show. Can’t wait to see it all come together.

4. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I just came across some troubling news concerning Kevin Williams. His doctor visit reported that he has plantar fasciitis. I looked it up, and learned that this is a foot problem that most commonly causes pain and stiffness in the bottom of the heel. Kevin was optomistic about the issue, and stated that he plans to be back on the field in time for the regular season. However the webpage I found stated that “treatment can last from several months to 2 years before symptoms get better,” indicating that the average person gets better after about 9-months.

One of the proposed cures for the problem? STEROIDS!

5. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

The site didn’t give me an idea of how severe the condition is, so maybe if Kevin rests a few weeks, he’ll be healed up enough to fight through a game. But it’s probably better for his long term health if he refrains from aggravating it until it’s completely healed.

6. By Mike B. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I had plantar fascitis it lasted a couple weeks. The vids from the coaches were bad today.

7. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Vikings fan1955- You can toot the BB horn all you want too… but ain’t no music comin out. Harvin will continue to be our #1 go to guy. Shancoe or Rudoplh will be #2 because McNabb has always been able to find his TE. Musgraves system is TE friendly (Rudolph is leading the team in preseason catches).

I will be bold enough to predict that once agian this year AP will have more catches and recieving yards than BB. The sad thing is, AP doesn’t play much on 3rd downs. Sorry, I am just being real. If you had the choice to get the b@ll in the hands of Harvin, Shancoe, Rudolph, AP, Jenkins or Berrian… who do you think the coaches and McNabb will focus on. Berrian’s best years in the NFL were with teams who had no other weapons.

8. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Right on Carl K and those who choose to view this year realistically,,,not with propaganda……..

9. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

YA HEAR THAT EMPEROR TITUS???

10. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

VOX POPULI!!!!

11. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Berrian will have to prove that he is worth even one half of what we paid for him…….so far I would not bet the house on him doing so…….

12. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I get what the nay sayer’s are saying but we all know a new qb can make a big difference in a reciever and until favre rice was average and was his main target. We will see who’s right I’m on the limb but when bb shows his worth there will be a few of us that will get ur were rights lol.

13. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt – Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. A few people must see something in Berrian, or he wouldn’t remain an uncontested player on the WR depth chart. I expect to see something good from him this week. If not, it’s not the end of the world, but it will be a very tough sale to say keep Berrian and cut Arceneaux, Camarillo &/or Jaymar at that point. If he still is spewing out the schtank once we start the season against the Chargers, I will be an eager leader of the Bîtching to Banish Bernard Berrian’s Bästardly Butterfingers Bandwagon.

14. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

BTW
    To compare Adrian to Bernard Berrian is useless. AP’ s fumbling issue, while a concern, did not make TRUEFANS question his ability. HE P{ROVED HIMSELF
    Berrian……….well we have not seen ANYTHING from him…….
    So it is STUPID to compare the 2 indivduals…

15. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

RU A TRUE FAN?

16. By Mike R. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I know everyone has an opinion on Berrian (especially Don!) but without a good O-line, you don’t have time to air the ball out or make holes for AP. This is what I think killed us last year(and year before in playoffs vs. Saints).

17. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

What Has Berrian Done to improve his non-presence? He might as well be a ghost……..PROVE YOURSELF OR GO HOME!

18. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

rock not into insults I’m a grown man with an opinion as u have that said i gave an example of how someone can change there bad behaviors and who says bb can’t ur not God so get off ur high horse and realize others have opinions and that u have to respect theirs as u want ur’s. I still see bb as a good recieve and tell me who has he had to really get him mthe ball on a constant basis, but now he has a chance and if he can’t show he’s a #1 reciever by game 4 I’ll be calling for mhis head as well and admitt I was wrong.

19. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

What is reality Rocksalt?

20. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Vox of the people? Mob rule, perhaps. Herd mentality, per chance?

21. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Problem is reality for most people is all they can see at the end of their nose hairs. All reality begins where you cannot see.

22. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

or perhaps the will of the people, Titus……democracy, Titus, not the rule of the Roman Empire, whicdh you aptly name yourself after……..Emperor Titus…..all hail!

23. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

vikings fan1955-
    You miss the point altogether………..

24. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

ALL HAIL TITUS……….EMPEROR OF ROME!

25. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Berrian was fantastic in the NFC championship two years ago– I remember a couple key third down conversions.

26. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – But how long do you give a player before you declare him washed up?

27. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

So , TITUS….YOU KNOW REALITY FOR MOST PEOPLE??? INTERESTING. NAPOLEON COMPLEX………

28. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Well, Parody, considering that 2010 was a complete meltdown of the whole team and stadium, I would give BB the benefit of the doubt through at least the first half of this season– if by after the bye, he has done nothing, then I will agree it is time to replace him.

Rocksalt, this is not the place for this conversation, as it is way beyond the scope of a football blog– let it rest– let me just finish that what you see is not reality.
    I like what Vikings fan1955 said– I agree, I am a grown up, Rocky and I refuse to play your games.

29. By Mike B. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

What makes a true fan? As I see it you can be objective on the weakness of your team, but still cheer them on game day. I think there are valid concerns here about some of the players. I don’t think that make or not make them a true fan. I think if you were a fan through the Herschel Walker trade years you are probably a true fan. lol. Take care everyone.

30. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@vikings fan1955- You asked for opinions and I shared my thoughts objectively and with reason. I am not a NAY SAYER and nor did I call you a name for your opinion. Yes, new QBs can make all the difference in the world and I hope for the best for Mr. Berrian. I do appreciate your optimism and energy.

Rocksalt- I did not compare Berrian to AP. All I said was the trend of AP catching more b@lls than Berrian will probably continue.

31. By Mike R. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.

LoL. Yes a true fan through the Walker trade where we built the Cowboys dynasty. Even a fan through Coach Les Steckel’s one year boot camp season. Ouch…thanks for the memories.

32. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

What I like about Berrian is he seems like a professional and is not always crying for the b@ll.

I respect Berrian and I think he helps open things up in the middle for guys like Harvin and Shank. He doesn’t have to catch p@sses to help this team win.

But because we have great playmakers like Harvin, AP, Shank and Rudolph, I think it makes it that much harder for Berrian to get his catches. Berrian can only play one of the 3 WR spots, and is really only a deep threat type of guy. With that said, Aromashadu and Jaymar are faster, can play all the WR spots, and have look good in camp.

Berrian took a big pay cut to stay a Viking, so I hope the stars lineup for him and he has a great year!

33. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Whether you love or loathe BB, one thing I hope we gain as a benefit of the veteran McNabb. I felt one of the benefits of our great 09 season was that Favre spread the ball around to so many receivers. He must have had time to get to his second and third progressions. Rodgers spread the ball around well to Packer’s receivers last season. It is hard for defenses to focus on one or two primary receivers when your 3rd receiver is killing them. If we spread it around, BB and others will look a lot better, and we’ll all be right, that we chose to be Viking fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Bernard Berrian was the leading receiver in the NFC championship game against the saints with 9 receptions for 102 yards, and I recall one that was for a very key third down conversion. How is that for reality?

35. By Mike R. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow86

Agreed. You are preaching to the choir….:-)

36. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I’ve belly-ached over the tags on the right with former players and members of the organizations past. I have wished for the former Vikes to be removed from my screen! That aside, as long as they continue to show photos of our lovely Vikings cheerleaders, I’ll put up with Chilly up there!

37. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Arrow, do you have autographs from all the players you belly-ached with?

38. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Jason La Canfora of NFL network says that the Ravens plan on moving Michael Oher to right tackle and place McKinnie at left tackle. I’m curious to see what the Ravens list McKinnie’s weight as when he is on their active roster.

39. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@ viking fan since 1955…i agree with Carl K. when he states that BB best yrs came with no other great WRs this is very true! The yr b4 he was a Viking with the bears and his 1st yr as a viking were his 2 best seasons and they were not all pro seasons they were a good #2 Wr numbers but he was the bears and our #1 wr those yrs so even his best yrs were just ok and i dont see him getting close to those numbers this yr. I do think Mcnabb will be better for BB than Farve was but he will still be well…..BB I prdict that jenkins will be our top Wr this yr with yrs and Harvin with catches and that b4 mid season BB will b our 5th Wr and only come in on % wide out plays or hail marys lol.

40. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow86 – I didn’t choose to be a Vikings fan, it’s in my blood. Not only am I from Minnesota, I also have at least 25% Norwegian ancestry and I was born on Nasjonaldagen.

It chose me, and I couldn’t be happier that it did.

41. By coach cal on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I think jenkins is a great blocker and will see alot of playing time in this offense. we will need recievers not affraid to block for tight ends and running backs who need that last block that springs them free for the long run. I have seen him make many great blocks including one for Kliensausers big gainer last saturday. Who ever starts in this reciever group need to be versitle to do both catch and block. A blocker like Hines Ward is big on a offense. No one on our roster compares as of yet but will be a big key to what this team is able to do with this type of system.

42. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny – I disagree a bit. Harvin will be the leader in yards and receptions. Jenkins might get close, and will likely be the leader in yards per catch, but he won’t beat out Harvin. If Berrian and Jenkins can each get around 500 yards or so, our overall receiving corps will be fine. If McNabb spreads the ball well, defenses will have at least 7 regular receivers to worry about throughout the game, including 3 WR, 2 TE, and 2 RB. The worst guy out of this group should get about 300 yards.

43. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Also i really hope the vikes develop Ponder. I like the Mcnabb pick up and i think Mcnabb will have his best yr or close to it but he is under a 1 yr contract. We had Farve on a 1yr with option for 2nd yr and then had to beg him to come play the 2nd yr all because he had such a great 1st season with us and i jus hope that after Mcnabb has his great season that we dont decide to resign him again cause it curbs the development of Both Ponder and Webb.

We dont hardly develop young Qbs . We always fall into the temptation of signing a vet an old vet lol Jeff George Warren Moon Randell Cunningham ( by the way Randell Cunningham is my all time fav player!) but i know of only Culpepper that was drafted and developed and alllow to start, Does any1 else know of others?????

If we didnt trade Sage Rosenfels to giants last yr he would have been our solid vet QB starting while Ponder and Webb develop and he would have been cheaper than the 6 million 1 yr deal we did with Mcnabb. which would had left vikes with more money to sign possible Saftey or OL free agent but lets not look at would of should of..im happy with Mcnabb

44. By coach cal on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Vikes will be 10-6 or 11-5 with ball control Rudolph will be a big weapon with Harvin and Peterson making this ship sail to the playoffs!

45. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Randall Cunningham is the bomb– had a child die recently though– fell in the hot tub and drowned– very sad.

46. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Vikes will be 12-4 or 13-3.

47. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus – weren’t you at 15-1 a day or two ago? Where did all your optimism go?

48. By allday512 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

What killed us against the saints was turnovers and nad calls by the refs

49. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Kenny – We signed Favre to a 2-year deal. He just didn’t want to come to training camp, so he pretended to waffle over the decision to retire during the majority of August and, having no faith in TJack, Brad Childress fell for Favre’s ruse and bribed him with a bigger contract to make sure he didn’t retire.

We all know how well that decision went…

50. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Tsk Tsk, Parody, you are starting to have the reading skills of some of the other bloggers. I never thought I would say that about you, but then again there is a lot of blogging going on for a change. Maybe you misread when I mentioned the 98 team a few times with their 15-1 record, and I mentioned Frazier’s Bears Team with their 15-1 record, but I never said we would match that this year. That would be a bit much to predict.

51. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

this is a test to see if it wil post…seem to be having trouble posting for some reason

52. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Titus. Maybe I was just lead to believe the words that others were putting into your mouth as your own. My memory doesn’t always work that well. Some mornings, I can’t for the life of me remember what I was dreaming about just seconds before…

53. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny – look through your intended post for “cuss” words hidden within normal words. Try to look for words you wouldn’t normally think of as well. Some that have thrown me off in the past include hòmo, bälls, mïck, and lôser.

54. By coach cal on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I also hope ponder starts next year and many years to follow stop gap QBs are getting old.

55. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody- i am trying to respond to your comment but i cant seem to submit my post for some reason.

56. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I was actually surprised to see nad accepted in a typo earlier in this blog. As a kid, we used to always use nads as an alternate for bälls, which is not accepted for the same reason, even though this is a sports blog…

57. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody- you very well may be correct about what you said about Harvin and our Wr corps. but…

58. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@coach cal – The stop gap QBs start out old! :P

59. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

if Jenkins leads us in YPC and assuming he has 55-65 catches i think it will allow him to lead in receiving yds

60. By Mike R. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@coach cal

I agree with the QB stop gap. There were many draft sites having us take Locker. I just didn’t like what I saw. When the Vikes took Ponder at 12, I was not expecting that! But I actually liked the choice. I think he can be good in time.

61. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Lol no cuss words i dont get upset with fellow vike fans i like this blog site you all seem kool. I may disagree with you guys from time to time and vice versa but no cussing from me unless its after a vike TD or win

62. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I have a feeling that both Jenkins and Berrian will max out at about 3-catches per game, which leaves them at 48-catches for the season. Even at 20-yards per catch, they still fall short of the thousand yard mark, which I believe Harvin will cross this season.

63. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I also cuss when i order a big mac without cheese and they put cheese on it anyway also did a lot of cussing when chilly was coach and with play calling he made

64. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Yes i heard about Rabdell Cunninghams Son…was very sad to hear about that especially cuz he was my idol growing up

65. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny – That’s why I said cuss words hidden WITHIN normal words. Many times I have tried to use Sophómore, which gets blocked because of hòmo. Likewise with the lóser hidden within the word clóser, and ässes within in pässes, etc.

66. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I love Harvin but i dont think he will ever stay healthy enough to play a full 16 games therefore he will never be able to put up the numbers he would have. I think Jenkins will be lined up opposite Harvin before mid season after everyone realizes his skill set is better in games than Berrians

67. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Ok yes Parody you are correct. I think this is what happened. It was very frustrating since i had to retype my response 5 times without it submitting lol thanks!

68. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I think with two speedsters on the team (Jenkins and Berrian) we won’t be seeing Harvin lining up Opposite either of them very often this year. I’d be willing to bet that he takes the slot position inside of whichever speedster is on the field with him.

The only time I can really forsee Harvin seeing the opposite side of the field is during a play where he’s in motion.

69. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody, Rocky, and Titus,

We could be taking a chance with Berrian. Hopefully it is because the Vikings coaches have seen something in him that indicates a comeback season from him.

Like Titus said he has had big games in the past. Even last year he had 9 catches for about 85 yards against the Cardinals.

We just have to hope the coaches are making the right decisions, if they don’t, then they will be “outta here.”

70. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Randell Cunningham not Ranbell…sorry for typos but ill let you know now i wil lead the viking blog this yr with typos so get use to it lol. I be so excited when voicing my opinions that i try to type to quickly..oh well…sorry.

71. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Happy to help Kenny. It’s a common problem that I’ve tried to explain to a lot of different people, and that I’ve lobbied Mike to address on the blog one way or another. Unfortunately, regardless of the suggestions I provide, they all appear to go ignored. The most I was ever able to accomplish was to convince Mike to remove ass from the list so that we can type pass. Because of that, I don’t know why other common football words are still ignored.

72. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I’m glad you are predicting 12-4 or 13-3 for the season. My brother is probably predicting 16-0 and a win in the Super Bowl. LOL

This time of year every team is a champion.

I’m just hoping we win some games and make the playoffs.

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? DON’T TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS!!!

73. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

i wil lead the viking blog this yr with typos

That’s going to be difficult Kenny. I’ve seen a good many people make mistakes much more frequently than you have! If that’s really your goal, you need to be stepping up your game. ;P

74. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

No Fred! Please don’t!
    That has to be the most annoying sporting quote in the history of sports…

75. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody- what i meant by opposite side of field is starting opposite ..I know Harvin is primarly our slot Wr so i meant same time as in he is number 1 and i think jenkins will soon be number 2. We plan on running alot of 2 TE sets so im not sure how many times we will see 3 or more Wrs of field at same time. My bad for using wrong term lol

76. By Vikings4Life on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Don’t waste talent use them, doesn’t matter if they are practice squad or undrafted rookies use them all, don’t shelf any players caleb king or anyone else we have to utilize them and put them in positions to succeed and think outside the box.

77. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

HAHAHA Parody i will try lol i am just very impatient and i see the typos but just dont want to go back and fix them . But not aiming for top typo master lol

78. By Mike R. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

The Vikes seem to like South Carolina WRs. Troy Williamson to replace Moss. Sidney Rice selected in the second round. I thought for sure they would go for another USC WR (Tori Gurley)
    They didn’t but Alshon Jeffery is coming up next draft…

79. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

I was merely defending myself because someone else would have attacked me with it.

I do not, however, consider it annoying. Like I’ve said before most people do not understand coaching. That’s what Jim Mora was alluding to on that rant.

80. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Rocky,

Titus is just saying that sometimes we are so close to the forest that we can’t see the trees.

We all see different things, Titus is choosing to see the positive things. I believe he is then also trying to ignore the bad things.

81. By PAUL M. on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

PROS: LOVE BOTH PONDER & WEBB — POTENTIAL TO DEVELOP INTO BREES / RIVERS DUO. TOBY’S LOOKING VERY GOOD. RUDOLPH — THE SKY’S THE LIMIT. PERCY & AP LOOK HUNGRY — THEY’RE READY TO HUNT!
    BALLARD MAY BECOME HUGE. I’M LIKING CHRIS COOK MORE & MORE. I’M HOPING ABDULLAH CAN HAVE A BREAK-OUT SEASON. I LOVE THE MORE BLITZ ORIENTED D-SCHEME BECAUSE OUR D-LINE ISN’T WHAT WE THOUGHT IT WAS.

CONS: O-LINE WOES CONTINUE — I HOPE THEY RESTRUCTURED LOADHOLT’S CONTRACT FROM 10 MILLION THIS SEASON. UN-INTIMIDATING WR’s — EXCEPTING PERCY. DB’s DON’T DO MAN COVERAGE SO WELL. QUESTIONABLE DEPTH IN SOME POSITIONS. WE WILL HAVE A VERY HARD TIME DEFENDING AGAINST THE QUALITY OFFENSES – LIKE GB’s – WHO CAN SPREAD OUT 4 QUALITY WR’s ALONG WITH A QUALITY TE. THOSE TEAMS ALSO HAVE EXCELLENT BLITZ PICK-UP DISCIPLINE & I FEAR THEY CAN PICK US APART. WATCH OUT FOR DALLAS THIS WEEK.

82. By Purple08 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Viking1955, how old are you? I will read your comments when you stop using “ur” in place of “your” and “u” instead of “you”. 3@*^?! annoying.

83. By Don on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

aww man did i miss the..Cut berrian talk lol…

84. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

WoW…did you just say to cut Berrian? You only said it one time!

85. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Purple08, why are you picking on one select person? Most of the people who post comments in here have trouble with common words. Your/you’re is one of the most misused words on these blogs, but at least viking1955 isn’t pretending to know the proper usage, like so many others do.

Bottom line, if you’re going to be calling anyone out for this sort of ignorance, you need to call out everyone for it.

86. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

purple 08 U get a life lol ur crazy lol

87. By dukeofdeerwood on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I think with the comments of the Vikes going 12-4 and 13-3 this year we need to step back and look at where we really are. Optimism this time of year is all over the NFL, but if you put the Viking’s situation into perspective, you’ll conclude that we are a .500 team at best. With a new coaching staff, (basically) and schemes, a new QB, WR’s still trying to find their spots and our foes in the NFC North gaining strength, I can’t see us doing better than 8-8. Do I wish we could go 12-4 and have a home playoff game, of course. I just think a lot of us will have to come back to reality.

88. By vikeforever on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

For all the BB enthusiasts of him having a great year this season. BB was brought in to stretch defenses with his speed and hands. However I have not seen him get open or a ball thrown his way. I know he had a good game back in the playoffs with NO but really where has he been. All they say about BB is he has a good attitude and ready to play. Last time I checked that doesn’t stretch defenses unless you get open and catch ball and maybe even stretch the play with his speed. SO unless I see his number called I will still feel he has done nothing to earn his paycheck

89. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Fred you don’t have to defend my position. It is normal for disagreement, in fact, it is healthy and I welcome it. If your analogy has merit, you may have stated it backwards– I am looking at the forest, too many are looking at a tree, seeing what may be a weakness in a position. This is one heck of a team we have assembled– the key word, being T.E.A.M. Best coaching and overall balance in personnel since the 98 team.

90. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Like Dennis Green always liked to say…

NO ROOM FOR CRYBABIES

And like the great Chilly Pepper always said…

ALL OF THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION LOOKING FORWARD

91. By Frederick Jones on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

“Sometimes you are so close to the Forest that you can’t see the Trees.”

The meaning of this sentence is that we can be in a situation (like coaching a team or managing a business) and be so involved that we can’t see the TALENT among our people.

I was accusing you of being a GOOD FINDER.

92. By Troy on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I know this is off topic, but can someone tell me why we keep Asher Allen? He has been beat more than a rug. Cut him and let the Sherrals kid try he couldnt be any worse. This kid seems to have a knack for the ball.

93. By Don on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..cut asher allen..cut bernard berrian..

94. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Troy – Allen is still here because we have space on the final roster for five CBs and Allen is still the 5th best player at the position right now. He’s shown us that he’s not starter quality, but that doesn’t mean he’s not backup quality. CB is one area where the team needs ample depth, since our better guys have been prone to injury.

95. By Soup on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Other QB’s developed and tutored by our veteran QB’s Several years before starting games? Guys I can think of off the top of my head go back a little further than your list… Tommy Kramer, Wade Wilson, & Rich Gannon (although I don’t remember if we drafted him). In the last 20 years we haven’t done a good job of letting a draft pick watch and learn before throwing him to the wolves, so to speak, but no club really does that well anymore. We’re a fast food society and expect immediate bang for the buck. I hope Webb and Ponder can learn from McNabb for a few years as I’m sure it will give them a leg up. I believe that McNabb’s got a fair amount of gas left in his tank and given a supporting cast (& coach!), he’ll do very well.
    P.s. Randall Cunningham was indeed one of my favorites too. And like McNabb, everyone said he was washed up when we took a chance on him too and he LIT IT UP for a good while as a Vike!!

96. By Joe C on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@titus

Will u be upset when the team is 2-6 @ the 8 game mark? I know u are trying to be as positive as possible but you still need to be in your right mind too!!

no improvements made on defense so far
    no improvements made on our front line except the release of McKinney – I guess that’s addition by subtraction. lol

a step backwards in the receiver corps

so how is it you see us going 7-1 at the half way mark?

We have a harder schedule than ever so we will be lucky to win 5 games this year – sorry to say – wish it was more – just keepin it real

97. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Fred, like usual, we all can add to the discussion. I see the talent but I also see the big picture.

And to Joe C– I have to disagree. Tremendous improvements to the overall health of the morale, motivation, and attitude of the whole team due to an overhaul of the coaching staff. New head coach, new Off Coordinator, etc. These are not so obvious to the average observer– sure we don’t see the addition of a superstar like a Randy Moss, but those type of additions do far less to advance a team than the building of a team. Team, team, team. We have a better team

New QB – a great veteran with something to prove. The D is better in many ways, have to respectfully disagree– the WR are probably more balanced than in 09 and last year– Jenkins, Arcenaux and company have been added along with some excellent rookies.

I don’t see any subtraction except for a negative cloud that hung over this team. No favoritism to leaders, err, cough cough, quarterbacks. No dissension. No micro managing. No, Joe, there have been a whale of improvements since last year–what is reality?

98. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Joe C –
    Defensive Improvements: Healthy Griffin & Cook; Deep talent at DL; Promising young DBs
    Offensive Line Improvements: Young competition; All injuries healed
    Receiver Corps Improvements: No 10-week injury to the #1 WR; Great Rookie TE; Harvin’s Headache Problem solved; Tons of competition for #4 & #5 WRs

Other areas you ignored:
    Improvements at QB – 3 good healthy QBs, including a much healthier #1 QB with a chip on his shoulder, and 2 backups better than any backup from last year
    Improvements at RB – Good #3 player, with competition at the position
    Improvements in Coaching – Head Coach is a huge step forward; Offensive Coordinator, OL coach, QB coach & RBs coach (among others) all have experience coaching successful playoff teams

And, most importantly:
    Improvements to team unity – Players are all displaying more interest in team success than their own, and those who aren’t are given little lattitude. Examples include Ray “I can’t believe you gave my backup a new contract” Edwards, Sidney “I’ll heal up after you give me a new contract” Rice, Tarvaris “I never got a fair shake” Jackson, and Bryant “My music business and fast food pitstops are more important than showing up for practice” McKinnie.

99. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Oh, adding to the WR part, I wanted to mention the DE who are excellent– when I said rookies, that was partly what I was referring to– just so excited about the upcoming season. 6-2 or 7-1 at the break.

100. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Comparing the Difficulty of this schedule over 2010:
    Lions better team = 2 tougher games,
    Packers & Bears, argualby no difference

The other 10-games include two games against teams who were at the bottom of the division last year, compared to two games against teams who were at the top of their division the year before in the 2010 schedule. This should equate to two easier games. We’re playing against the NFC South compared to the NFC East last year, which was arguably the better division. We’re also playing against the AFC West compared to the AFC East last year. The East had two playoff teams, including one who went to the conference championship, while the West was arguably the worst division in the AFC.

I don’t study teams outside the NFC North nearly enough to have an impression of their improvements, but based on what I just reviewed, the 2011 schedule ought to be significantly easier.

101. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

It’s hard to believe that this team will be as bad as 1-5 against the division again, even though the division has gotten better. I would be willing to guess that we make an even split and end up 3-3 within the division, and take the rest of the games at an 8-2 or 7-3 split.

102. By David P on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Kenny,

Tommy kramer was a first round pick that was developed. He had some good years. I agree, I hope Ponder and Webb learn alot this year and can take over next year.

103. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

To the BB haters have you been keeping up with the reports coming out of camp about him so far. They have said he’s catching and running better routes and getting open. Thats what we want to hear because yes we have Harvin but can he be counted on for 16 games. Just think if BB keeps this up and we have him, Jenkins, and harvin on the fe=ield plus a good one we have already on the rouster in a 4 reciever set come on.We have to realize that BB has the speed and ability to get open he just has to catch the ball.We say how a new qb can make a player better so lets see if Mc Nabb can do this for BB so far he has shown promise

104. By Parody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Vikings fan1955 – I understand what they say they’re seeing in practice, but we need to start seeing it on the field. I can’t remember how many times the coaches praised TJack for his improvement with a redshirt on during practice, but we never saw that transfer over to gameday. If it continues to go the same way for Berrian, then he is no good to this team.

105. By Kenny on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@ Soup thank you for answering my question from earlier about developing QBs. I remember Tommy Kramer but don’t think Rich Ganon was drafted by us. I could be wrong. Glad to see that you loved Cunningham as much as i did.

106. By Carl K on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Kenny- Rich Gannon was drafted in the 4th round of the 1987 draft by New England. They wanted to convert him to a DB but Gannon said no to that idea. He was quickly traded to the Vikings. I think Rich sat behind Wade Wilson before he got his shot to play.

107. By Carl K on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Kenny- Wade Wilson was drafted in the 8th round in 1981 and lead the Vikings to the playoffs 3 times in the 80s. He sat behind Tommy Kramer before he got his shot.

108. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Wade Wilson was pretty good.

109. By coach cal on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

How bout Gino Torreta they really gave that kid a shot. lol. just think how much Tavaris would be crying its unfair if he had no shot like that guy. Anybody know if he even played in a regular season game in any league. some trivia to throw out there. when gino was drafted he was supposed to be the next montana remember viking fans?

110. By coach cal on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus- Balllard will be awsome and the Vikes will be better but I think 5-3 at the break would be great 6-2 posible depending how quick the new vikings click. Roudolph will give other teams Red Zone fits with those hands and his size i see 8-10 touchdowns. go vikes

111. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

It seems the Vikes drafted Torretta in Round 7. Saw action in one(1) game but not with the Vikings. WoW…I didn’t hear that name in a while.

112. By Purple08 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I have no life, that is why I come on here and try to stir things up! It makes me feel like a big man! Just bustin’ bal ls Vike 1955.

113. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

ok purple08 it’s all god I can handle it lol

114. By steve on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

seriously people it kills me when fans complain about the defense, last year they was ranked 8th overall and in 08 and 09 ranked 6th, anyone who would complain about 8th with as bad as the offense played last year then you need your head examined.

115. By Don on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

vikings fan1955…i don’t care what they said in practice bout bb..what has he done in the games huh..

116. By Don on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

ok let him be the 5th wr

117. By coach cal on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

thanks for the humor on the torretta comment. I remember him tearing up the pre season and then he vanished. The only reason the defense looked so different steve was the lack of pass rush. coming off the year before where we led the league. Our defense will have to put the pressure on this year for sure with our lack of safety depth. Allen and co need to open that can of whoop ass wide open!

118. By coach cal on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Who wants to see sherrels make the team? that guy is everywhere.

119. By Mike R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@coach cal

I think he deserves a shot. If he can make our secondary better, that would be great…..

With the Torretta comment, it brought back memories of other Heisman hopefuls…Andre Ware,Charlie Ward….what happened to them???

120. By Rocksalt on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    IIt is one thing to state that you see the big picture. That in and of itself is understandable and ok by me.
    However, sometimes when you say things, you seem to have a bit of condescending attitude towards others when you make your point………that gets me going…..
    Surely, you have recognized this? You seem very intelligent, so I naturally assume it is intended…….
    Anyhow, You are right in that this is a football blog, but often discussions include many other things……

121. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I had the opportunity to get a DVD from the library when the Vikings played the 49ers in the NFC championship. I don’t remember what year it was but it was during the glory years for the 49ers who went on to win that year’s super bowl.

In that game Wade “Whiskey” Wilson looked as good as any QB who EVER PLAYED in the NFL. Unfortunately he had some injuries after that year. He was as good a runner as Steve Young at that time, and could throw the ball accurately.

He was an 8th round draft pick according to Carl K, which I do not doubt.

122. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Shame on me for doubting the offensive linemen who were drafted in the late rounds this year. Dr. Love looks like a good one.

The rivalry between Webb and Ponder could be legendary.

Kilmer-Theisman-Jurgensen in Washington
    Morton-Stauback in Dallas
    Starr-McHan in Green Bay
    Young-Montana in S.F.
    ….all of these combos eventually won at least one Super Bowl.

123. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

The list of players who were ignored or drafted in later rounds is mind-boggling:

Running Backs: Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Scottie Graham

Offensive Line: Tinglehoff, Sunde, Vellone, Alderman

Quarterbacks: Kapp, Wilson, Gannon

Defensive Backs: Bryant, Mackbee, Sharockman, Kassulke

Linebackers: Winston

Defensive Line: Randle HOF

These are the ones I’m pretty darn sure of, and I know there are twice as many as I’ve listed.

124. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Bill Brown was drafted in the 2nd Round, but was traded to the Vikings.
    So I guess he still qualities for my list.

In his place you could put Cris Carter who was a 4th round Supplemental pick, and was picked up by the Vikings for next to nothing.

125. By Frederick Jones on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Vellone (a long time starter until cancer killed him) and Randle were undrafted. In those days each team had over 20 draft picks !

126. By McHam on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

We have a 6 time pro bowler, 5 time NFC championship with 1 SB appearing QB and a future HOF in McNabb and you guys are itching about the Viking paid to much for this guy; give me a break. This guy is the 3rd winnest actve QB in the league behind only P Manning & T Brady and if I recall correctly these guys rec’d 90 mil & 80 mil respectively. Could someone explain that to me because I don’t get it?

127. By cookware reviews, best cookware on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Tremendous issues here. I am very glad to peer your article. Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?