Frazier, McNabb Excited To Play In Front Of Home Crowd

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 24, 2011 – 3:20 pm

The Vikings return to play a game in front of their home crowd at Mall of America Field this Saturday night when they host the Dallas Cowboys for preseason game #3. The Vikings last played a game at their home stadium on December 5, 2010 and after opening the preseason with consecutive road games, both Head Coach Leslie Frazier and new QB Donovan McNabb are looking forward to having the home crowd behind them.

“Excited,” Frazier said when asked for his thoughts on playing in front of Vikings fans again. “Excited to be back with our fans. Mall of America Field has been a good place for us to play our home games and our fans give us so much energy as a football team. It’s something I’m looking forward to, just lining up at our home stadium after being on the road these first two preseason games. Just to hear the roar of our crowd, I’m excited about it. I’m sure our players are also.”

Frazier is right, Mall of America Field has been kind to the Vikings. The Vikings are 18-4 at Mall of America Field since the start of the 2008 season, including an 8-0 finish in 2009 (4-2 in 2010, missing two games due to the roof collapse). The team now has a combined record of 156-81-0 (.657) all-time at Mall of America Field, which includes a 7-5 mark in postseason games.

As a 13-year veteran with NFC foes Philadelphia and Washington, Saturday certainly won’t be McNabb’s first experience at Mall of America Field. So he knows the environment that exists there because of the passionate fan base.

“I’m looking forward to coming out of a different locker room,” McNabb said. “I’m just looking forward to the fans’ reaction and for us going out and making plays and hearing them roar a little bit. The anticipation I’m sure is growing for the fans as well as for us.”

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Frazier, McNabb Excited To Play In Front Of Home Crowd”

1. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobs- how does the new turf look and feel? I have not heard you or any players talk about it yet.

2. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I haven’t seen it yet.

3. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Have not seen it? During the Seahawks game, the media said the dome was opened to a huge group of the public to see the renovated dome. And you, the esteemed Mike Wobs, the heartbeat and voice of vikings.com, has not seen the new turf? Come on, Mike. Get down there, run around on it, and report back.

4. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus – Let’s be fair, the field was opened to the public on the same day of the Seahawks game. I’m pretty sure that I remember Mike telling us that he was in the Seattle press box during the game. It’s kind of tough to get from Minneapolis to Seattle with just an 8-hour window.

He’d have to go from the dome, to the airport, check his bags, go through security, get a pat down and try to explain why he had a pen in his pocket, find his flight, board the plane, wait 50-minutes for the flight crew to figure out how they’ll clear the pigeons off the runway, fly to Seattle, wait in a holding pattern for another 50-minutes for the pilot to sober up, land and get off the plane, find his baggage claim section, wait another 50-minutes for his plane to finish unloading their bags, file a missing bag claim with the Seattle airport, find a taxi, ride over to the stadium, and climb into the press box.

5. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

So…has anyone else tried to watch the Frazier press conference yet? There were a few times when the video and audio stopped all together, at about 2.5 mins and again at 3.66 mins. At first I thought it was a problem with my computer, but I jumped back and had the exact same problem at the same time intervals. This happened with the Preifer conference too at about 3.5 mins. With both of the pressers, the audio was significantly ahead of the video as well.

I would have thought that the administrators would make sure that videos work before posting them…

6. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody, why do you do me like that? I know you are one of the more sane and rational on here– clearly you understood that I was saying if the dome was open to the public on Saturday, by now, Wednesday, the voice of vikings.com would be in the know– or before he left for Seattle, for that matter. The point being, if the public has seen the new turf, then an insider should have too.

7. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus – How else was I supposed to lead into my airline bit?

8. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

You have a point there.

9. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Steve Jobs resigned.

10. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    you think too much of yourself, and did so as BSAS………

11. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – When I first saw that, I thought you must be joking as I had JUST finished watching a CNBC biography of Jobs, which didn’t make any hint that he was retiring. Now that I think about it, they must have made the decision to air that program at the last second when they learned of the news, since it was listed as something else in the programming when I switched to it.

12. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody- the Frazier presser cut out on me too. BTW funny airline bit. Titus scores the assist.

13. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Is Steve job’s Health ok?

14. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Apparently not Carl.

15. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

You bet Rocksalt– it’s called a healthy dose of self-esteem. You read too much in the blog– in person I am very easy going and always ready to serve my fellow popluation.

16. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure McNabb will look at home in the dome. I was impressed with the overall Vikings home winning percentage. Now, let’s build a new stadium that improves on that!

17. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Parody:

Thanks for the light moment with the airline bit. I feel horrible for my wife at the airport now. She’s had a hip replacement and in July after showing her medical card she was practicly groped in front of 150 people right out in the open at the Minneapolis airport. Let’s put “common” back into common sense. At least you’re analysis made me laugh.

18. By fellow population on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I’ll have 11 cowgirls roasted please.

19. By Bob on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

ill take mine overeasy

20. By Soup on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

What exactly is the most recent status of the Arden Hills stadium issue? Having been transplanted half-way across the country, it’s hard to get the nitty gritty details on the local situation.