Notes From Tuesday’s Practice, Coordinator Press Conferences

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 23, 2011 – 4:33 pm

The Vikings had a long, grueling practice on Tuesday afternoon as they continue their rigorous preparation for the 2011 regular season, which begins in just under 3 weeks. The team worked in full pads for the approximately 2-hour practice and they did so in humid, sticky conditions.

Coaches paused more frequently for extra water breaks and the tough work in even tougher conditions gave the squad an idea of their conditioning. All indications are the team’s conditioning is good, especially considering how well the first-team defense and offense played against the scout teams.

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier indicated after Saturday’s preseason win over the Seattle Seahawks that the team would do a little bit of game-planning for their next opponent – the Dallas Cowboys – to try and simulate a week of preparation in the regular season. The Vikings did so today, with both the first-team defense and offense working against a scout team that was presumably simulating looks the Cowboys have given opponents so far during the preseason.

Here are a few notes from Tuesday’s action…

– The Vikings secondary was the standout group in practice, with S Tyrell Johnson collecting on INT in 7-on-7 drills and CBs Marcus Sherels and Antoine Winfield grabbing INTs during full team periods of practice. Johnson showed great range on his INT, coming from the deep right side of the field to the middle. Sherels also had a tremendous pass break up (PBU) during 1-on-1 drills in the period right after his INT.

– CB Chris Cook also performed well in 1-on1 drills and drew praise from DBs coach Joe Woods when he locked rookie WR Stephen Burton up at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the route. Cook made another nice play late in practice when he trailed WR Dominique Johnson all the way across the field on a drag route and extended his left arm to break up the pass.

– On the first play of the first period of full team work for the first-team defense, LB Erin Henderson intercepted a pass and returned it to the endzone. That marks the second consecutive day Henderson has grabbed an INT in practice.

– The first-team offense looked just as impressive going against the scout team defense. QB Donovan McNabb found WRs Bernard Berrian and Percy Harvin several times, with Berrian able to get over the top of the defense at least three times that I saw for long receptions all over the field.

– DT Kevin Williams (foot) is on the mend a bit, so Letroy Guion got first-team reps at the 3-technique.

– Harvin made the play of the day and it came early in practice. He was running a route deep down the right side of the field and McNabb launched a pass in Harvin’s direction. By the time the ball came down it was actually falling into bracketed coverage, but Harvin cut in front of the coverage, leaped off of one foot and grabbed the ball with one hand, hauling it in and controlling the ball all the way to the ground.

– Vikings Defensive Coordinator Fred Pagac was asked a few times about the starting safety position opposite Husain Abdullah and he did not indicate whether Tyrell Johnson or Jamarca Sanford had an edge in the competition. In fact, Pagac said both players have played about the same number of snaps and the competition may not be decided soon. The coaching staff is still talking about how to split up playing time this week against the Cowboys, but look for Sanford to get the start because Johnson started last week in Seattle.

– Pagac did not have an update on Kevin Williams’ status and he said he expects the defensive starters to play roughly 20-25 plays before exiting the game on Saturday night.

– Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave did not give much indication as to how long the offensive starters would play on Saturday night and instead explained that the coaching staff still had to make those decisions.

– Here was Pagac’s response when asked to assess the defense’s performance against Seattle: “Improvement of tempo; I thought we were running to the ball a little bit better. Our tackling was better. We still had a couple missed tackles, but our tackling was much better. Just the attitude that we played with and obviously the sudden change situation when we had the turnover for the touchdown and then that goal line stance after a long series. That means a lot to us, is something that we preach about all the time and the kids responded.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

99 Responses to “Notes From Tuesday’s Practice, Coordinator Press Conferences”

1. By Parody on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

It’s good to hear that Berrian is starting to show up in practice, but it would be nice to see that transition over to game day. Does Berrian have the same trouble as TJack does? To this day coaches continue to praise how great he looks in practice, but then he falls apart once the cameras get warmed up. For the sake of our team, I hope that’s not the case for #87.

2. By Parody on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I love reading that our defense is learning to grab interceptions. Too many times last year I saw them drop potential turnovers, and when I visited Mankato early in camp, it looked as if the DBs were still having these troubles.

I really like seeing big plays from the defense, whether they be sacks, fumbles, interceptions, or 4th-down stops. It looks like our defense has improved in the 4th-down situations, and it appears that they’re improving in INTs also, so I’m looking forward to a lot of excitement from our defense this year.

3. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

read this post all and see that this is not the same team as last yr, we have a new coach new offensive look and better D.I get how a lot of u feel about bherrian but we do know he has the speed and he has looked better in practice so far this yr. I like what I’m seeing and hearing so far and it seems Mc Nabb is hitting his stride and I still say he can take us all the way.Lets see how we do against Dallas and then evauate some more. Also remember we will have harin and schonice back in the line up

4. By T-Boss on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

INTS are great but the QB Who tossed them. UM ?????

5. By Mike R. on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

During last years college football season, I watched a U South Florida game. I saw this #16 on defense constantly around the ball and tackling. He dropped what would have been an easy pick six. I think it surprised him that it was right to him. I said to myself this guy could be pretty decent. Maybe he could help our Vikings secondary which I thought sucked at times. His name…Mistral Raymond

6. By Ekolu on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

The D is looking really good. The DB’s are making plays, the LB’s have locked it down and the DL are bringing heat on every play. The D actually looks rejuvenated.

7. By brockjn on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Lets not all get to excited, we have to think critically because Im pretty sure that Wobs, said, ” the offense and defense went against the scout teams.” So who really cares what Berrian did. The proof is in the pudding, he sucks in games and I wish somebody would grow some manhood and get rid of him. Its terrible that we are going to waste a roster spot on Berrian when we could cut him and see if Aromashadu, and Jaymar can do it. If not then get one in next yrs draft. Then get another corner also, because unfortunately we have a 2nd round investment in Cook,so now we wont let Sherels play because he was undrafted…. Does that make sense? Because John Randle wasnt drafted either but he made plays all the time! We NEED PLAYMAKERS, and I’ll give Cook another chance but Berrian has to be cut!!

8. By Thai on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I think the d is coming along but I would feel better with a free agent safety. We obviously felt out some free agents in the past like weddle and Atogwe. This tells me that the coaches may not be completely sold on Sanford or Johnson. Other than that with Ballard stepping up and Jared Allen ready return to pro bowl form our pass rush is looking good.

9. By Thai on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

We can all talk about berrian till February but I think we are gonna have to accept were stuck with him. He’s trash and let’s just hope we don’t cut a receiver that could be a game changer.

10. By Mike B. on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I am waiting to see how things go with Dallas coming to the Dome. I think playing a NFC East Team even if it’s a preseason game will give some indications on how we are doing.

11. By Woodboat on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I hope all the positive propaganda that Wobs has been spouting about Berrian is an indication of how he will perform this year on gameday. I agree that he should probably be sent packing in order to free up the spot for one of the young guys. He must be one heck of a locker room guy.

I don’t think it matters who threw the INTs… the important part is that the DBs actually CAUGHT the b@lls. They were in position last year numerous times, they just couldn’t catch. Looked like Troy Williamson out there.

Lets hope that the team does Coach Frazier right and makes improvements again this week. The Cowboys game will be a little better test of where we are than the last 2.

12. By Titus on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

This team is better than the 09 team. No question.

13. By Nicholas on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I think we will have a winning season…probably will be in a tie for second place with Detroit in the North.

I think our offensive line will improve from here on out. I can only immagine what its like to battle in the trenches with NFL defenses when you are trying to get things together. I definitely have faith in the O-line coming together in the long term.

On Defense; Has anyone heard if Devon Torrence has been performing well? I thought he was an interesting pick-up…haven’t heard much about him lately though.

14. By Titus on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

You heard it hear first– Vikings sweep the Packers.

15. By Frederick Jones on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

Even if it is true that the Vikings are better now than in 2009, you have to consider that many of the other teams are also better.

Avoiding injuries is going to be a big key !

I would like to see the offensive line use a rotation of players rather than a starting five. Yes, this could hurt us early in the season.

Our goal should be to make the playoffs, we want to be playing our best football in December-January.

16. By Titus on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Freddie, I also consider that our schedule is a tad easier than last year, but probably on a par with 09. But who knows? Any team can win at any time. We have a true team- solid all around, great chemistry, very good coaching–leadership that has been in the Superbowl from our head coach to McNabb– etc, read my prior post– I am getting tired of speaking of the intangibles– our team is going to be so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.
    BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)_)-))__)_)_)_)_)))))))____)))_)))))
    (Vikings horn so loud, it vibrates!!!)

17. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Parody: I don’t get to see many games start to finish let alone live, but it seemed like last year we couldn’t get a turnover. I totally agree that we need to win that battle. Forced fumbles, interceptions, and 4th down stands. I hope our defense will be a little more physical this year.

@Titus: I love the Vikes, but I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say we’re better than 2009. But, as I mentioned above. I don’t get to see many games live start to finish. I hope you’re right. If you are, would you consider running for public office!

18. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

Team chemistry is often over looked and underrated. Great teams, year in and year out have quality people who care about each other and don’t want to let the team down. I’d agree the Vikes seem to all be on the same page this season.

19. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

Playing well going into the playoffs is a must for any team. It may take until November before the Vikings hit their stride and produce greater offense. Because of the new system for all of the offensive players. Maybe I’m wrong, Frederick would have more insight on that. Having minimal injuries is also vital.

20. By Titus on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Arrow– much of the team is the same except:

AP has controlled his fumbles– he had huge ones in 09– Chicago game in OT– had we won, we very likely would have hosted the Saints

Favre is gone– Yes, he was a great, but McNabb is the polar opposite as far as interception ratios– plus six years younger.

Our backup QBs are probably better than what we had in 09 (Tarvaris)

Our Defense is much the same, maybe better.

Our Special Teams so far seem to be excellent

Our Offensive Coordinator is arguably better–

Our head coach has a better handle on the team– and is a player who has a ring — and his assistant, Singletary also has a Superbowl win

Because of the better coaching, our team is more cohesive, relaxed and have better chemistry

Better team than 09. No question.

21. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Thai:

I wish the Vikings had a punnishing safety like a Joey Browner, Robert Griffith type. I would have loved it if they could have picked up Bob Sanders (Even though he has been injury prone.)

22. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@TItus:

I love it. It’s 9:30 P.M. and I have to open the blinds to see the bright sunshine. You do make several points that I agree with. We have to play the Super Bowl champs twice. Chicago is looking pretty sluggish so far. Detroit is definitely ready to go to the next level. The Eagles may get a lot of publicity, but our division could be the hardest fought, game for game.

23. By Titus on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Arrow– our division is tougher than in 09, for sure. But that does not detract from my argument that our team is better. We do have a tougher road in our division– but thankfully we know those opponents, so our toughest games this year may actually be ones we can win, because of familiarity. And a tough division means you get sharper or you collapse. Iron sharpens iron. But again, like I said, our division being harder has nothing to do with my statement that we have a better team. By the way, I did not know you were in Alaska.

24. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

If I remember correct the Vikings were 5-1 in the division in 09. I would be happy at 3-3 this season and thrilled at 4-2!

25. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

Yeah I’m in Alaska. When I go out hunting Yack I wear my Joey Browner #47 jersey and they call me AK-47!

26. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

More on the Bears:

The Bears traded Greg Olson to the Panthers a few weeks back. I always felt that Olson played well against the Vikings, and I’m happy he’s getting his mail in Carolina.

27. By Titus on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Arrow, I thought you were in Duluth? Weren’t you from St. Louis?

28. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Big MAC (Bryant McKinnie) just signed with the Ravens, subject to a physical. Do they have any grain elevators in Baltimore to weigh him?

29. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

I was only kidding about Alaska, I’m right here in the Accu-weather 5-state area.

30. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

Other than Nova, I have a hard time keeping track of where everyone is from on here, but it is fun to hear from longtime Viking fans who live in all corners of the country that post on here.

31. By Arrow86 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick

If you’re still up and posting. The Ravens picking up McKinnie, would they be planning to move Oher to left guard, or put McKinnie in that spot?

32. By Vikings4Life on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Vikes need to put ap and gerhart on the field at the same time, I wonder why that plan never comes into play, I guess they both cannot block well, but I know I wouldn’t want them two on the field at the same time. 3rd and short or goal they need to put ap, gerhart, booker, all in at the same time to bulldoze opponents. Lets get a ring this year been waiting all my life.

33. By Mike R. on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow86

Viking fan since forever, here in Pennsylvania.
    Number 1 thing on my bucket list is for the Vikes to get a ring.

34. By BigChaz on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I love to see the enthusiasm around this team! I think having the new coaching staff is already making a difference in how this team looks. It’s so nice to see fresh looks on offense. That Chilly-run cub football style offense was so predictable, I’m sure defenses must have been frothing at the mouth when they saw us on the schedule. Not this year suckers! I really hope We keep that Sherels kid, he’s playing his butt off and we sure could use that in the secondary.

35. By CA Norwegian on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I think they might have considered converting the Prior kid to safety. 3rd round, another elite athlete on the team. He might even have had a shot at convertiing back to QB if things panned out for another QB, down the road.

He could be good help against the freak tall receivers.

36. By Carlos Fullerton CA on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Man I’m foaming at the mouth waiting for this season. I was very upset when Tomlin became head coach of Pitts and I would get angry when teams wanted to interview Frazier, all the while hating Chillys decisions. Last year’s 1st game at GB when he decided not to challenge the first TD was the last straw for me!!! He lost the locker room but Frazier is a coach of the players from the players. The players respect him and I love to watch his pressers. He has composure and knows what it takes. I believe in Frazier and I believe the players will go into any battle with him at the helm. This year is definitely a year of redemption. Everyone is writing us off but if we won the division in 08 with T-Jack and Gus then we definitely can do it now. I like the swagger this season we will surprise people and hit em in the mouth! I love Viking nation!

37. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Our defense needs to improve on 3rd down. Last week the Seahags had the ball for 13 minutes in one quater of play, compared to our offense having 2 minutes……what does this suggest?
    1. Defense is not stopping opponents from converting 3rd downs
    2. Defense is out there too long,,will get tired.
    3.This limits our offense and disrupts any possible rhythm.

38. By T-Boss on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait to see the VIKES turn the COWBOYS into the boys this Sat.Maybe Mcnabb will use his arm this weekend.

39. By Vikings4Life on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

If there’s one person that knows the cowboys defense it would be mcnabb, I’m sure he knows how to beat them.

40. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Is Spielman inept at resigning his own players? Does he have loyalty issues?
    Yes, I think he is a great talent evaluator… so maybe his philosophy is to just reload with young guys and old vets and save money?
    I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say I can “somewhat” understand not signing guys like S. Rice, M. Burk, D. Sharper, A. Hicks, and C. Taylor.

But the inability to resign Greenway and AP right now is a major red flag. I would rather trade them now as to just let them walk away next year and get nothing!
    We could have gotten a first or second round pick last year for Sidney but instead we will probably get a 5th rd compensatory pick. Just Silly!

Spielman, I think you are better than this!!!!!!

And Mike Wobs- update the silly names to the right! Dude, it is way old and looks like a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. By David P on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I cannot get excited about what happens in practice. The proof comes at game time and here are some points to ponder. Cook and Allen show NOTHING in games. They are slow and lost. BB is a waste of a roster spot. Please get rid of him. The OL still struggles, even second string against second string. Given less than 3 seconds time to stay is the pocket is terrible and for most of the night the defensive was in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. The vikings need to get better at OL, WR and DB’s quickly or the season will be a long one.

42. By Vikings4Life on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

The vikes should give caleb king some playing time let him compete with booker, I know a lot of people are sold on booker but if caleb can outperform booker I wouldn’t mind having caleb as a 3rd rb.

43. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Stop whining David P. This is the best team we’ve had since 1998.

44. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I’m glad for your continuous optmism. It’s in contrast to some of the “far out” negativity that is so common on this site.

Certainly the Vikings will win some games this year, but cannot have many injuries. For that reason I put them at 9-7 or 10-6 unless we strengthen our areas of obvious weakness.

10-6 may get the Vikings into the playoffs.

45. By Frederick Jones on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow 86,

The new offense does not have to be a weakness while the players adapt to it because it will also be new to our opponents.

Like you I’m not sure where all this is going because we have some obvious weaknesses on our team.

Did Green Bay also have some obvious weaknesses? I do know they had a lot of injuries to the offensive line early in the season.

46. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Vikings4life- We won’t risk geting AP hurt… Gerhart is alittle banged up now. Booker is already a lock at #3… So I think a practice squad RB postion is up for grabs. I think King along with Davis and Alexander will get some reps in the next 2 weeks.

Titus – I agree this team has some talent and depth. I really like our coaches and the attitude of camp. I have high hopes for this season also. Keep up the positive vibe!!

David- We have some young DB like Cook, Burton, Mistrel Raymon, Tony Carter, Tyrell Johnson and H.Abdullah that could really make an impact in games before the year is over. I have hope for our DB.

I also like our WRs…Armashadu and Jaymar can flat out run and both have a bright future in the NFL. I hope they both make the team because they will surely be picked up by other teams in a hurry. We have solid veterans like Harvin, Jenkins. Mix in the fact that Berrian and Caramello have been around the NFL a while and have made some big plays. J. Iglesias and Dominique Johnson, and Manny Arceneaux, at the very least, will be land on practice squads for sure. WE ARE NOT BAD AT WR!

OL- aah…. welll aah…. not much we can do right now but hope AP has enough light to run and McNabb enough time to throw.

47. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt – I think you’re not analyzing the situation enough. Those 13-minutes in the first quarter were not all attributable to a lack of ability from the defense to get off the field.

The Hawks started out with the ball, which should give them a slight advantage of play time. After our offense failed to move the ball the Seahawks stalled on a drive and got it back after a fumbled punt; let’s remember that a punt is that thing that indicates the defense did its job admirably. Then the Hawks got right back on the field after a pick-6, something that shows even more admirable effort from the defense.

That all adds up to 4-drives that totaled 13-minutes. Breaking it down, this equates to about 3:15 per drive. Assuming that a single play lasts for around 40-seconds, which is completely reasonable since most plays use the majority of the play clock and then need at least a few seconds before the play is over, a drive lasting 3-minutes and 15-seconds breaks down to about 5-plays. That’s one first-down per drive, which is nothing to scoff at. Yes, the defense did let the Hawks get down to the goalline, but this only gave us something else to be proud of, because they were able to stop 4 consecutive plays short of the goal line from inside the two.

One last point: Our Defense had a shutout until the 4th quarter, when the players with the weakest of chances to make the team were on the field.

48. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Bring on the Chargers!

49. By David P on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus,
    I disagree. I 1998 the team had no holes. This team is full of holes and no depth at OL, DB and WR positions. Preason and practice does not show everything. I have been a vikings fan since 1963 and I can tell you this team right now is not very good.

50. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

David P- I referenced 1998 as the last team better than what we have today. But the 1998 team did have holes– the secondary was suspect. What is the relevance of long tenure of fanhood? It reminds me of a phrase– long life does not guarantee maturity.

51. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

In 1997, Denny Green won his first playoff game with the Vikings– an improbable win when in the last minute and 47 seconds (guesstimating the time frame) ,Cunningham and company shocked the Giants in New York with two scores. Theismann said the Vikings were horrible with time management– everyone was laughing, and then at the end, the announcers admitted– what do we know?
    Well, who would have ever thought the next season, we would be 15-1? You cannot predict just based on what is physically in front of you. I am merely analyzing the intangibles, to forecast the seen from the unseen. What you see is only a tip of reality.

52. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@David – Our offense may not be as stellar as the 1998 team, but that could be evened out by our defense. Looking back at that roster, John Randle is the only defender who I truly recognize. Ed McDaniel, Dwayne Rudd, and Robert Griffith are slightly familiar, but none of them stand out nearly as well as all the starters on the offense that included 7-Pro Bowlers.

Our current defense is arguably better than the 98 team, with 4 returning Pro Bowl players, and another 2-4 players with Pro Bowl potential. If McNabb gets good protection, we’ll start saying that a lot more of our offensive players deserve to go to the Pro Bowl too.

53. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I remember that 1998 team very well– my sister and her husband had season tickets and I believe I went to 3 games, maybe more. Tampa Bay easily beat them when they kept our offense off the field. Our D was good enough, as Madden said, because mostly, we had such a big lead (from what at the time was the best offense it terms of points in NFL history).
    I do believe our D is better– and that is huge.

54. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

oops– in terms, not it terms– I need to focus on my work.

55. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

good points, Parody-
    I still think we need to improve on not allowing 3rd down conversions, A good number of times, the Seahags had 3rd and short, which certainly makes it easier to convert, but as defenses go, they must stop the opposition from getting to the goal line…I would hate to have to rely on goal-line stands every drive……
    Does anyone know why we got rid of Kennedy on D line? Ithought he made some plays in years past…..
    Titus-
    Our D is better than 1998…..but that team could outscore anyone…….we did not need a good D, cuz we could light it up! So far, our 1st string has yet to score a TD……so It is like comparing apples and oranges…..

56. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Of course, we also have 4-players on the offense who have been to the pro-bowl before, 3 of them more than once. One player is pretty much a lock to make it. With a good season, 2 or all of the others can return as well. And with a stellar season, there’s potential to see as many as 4-more added to that list, granted that’s a long shot.

57. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

also, Our offensive line was better in 1998

58. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

On the same line of thought Rocksalt, we have yet to see the true first string offense yet. Our best receiver has yet to take a single snap in the preseason, and our best TE has been out as well. As we saw last year, not having one or two of the guys that your offense is built around makes it very difficult to perform.

With Shiancoe and Harvin likely to play this week, I have high hopes that we’ll see the first stringers start putting up some points.

59. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    Do you think that you, also may only be seeing the “tip of the iceberg”, or do you believe you(as emperor) have superior vision to the rest of us lowly citzens of Rome?

60. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Again, good points, Parody……

61. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

That offensive line argument is probably the only one I cannot defend against. We had 3 linemen go to the Pro Bowl in ’98, while Birk sat on the bench. Korey Stringer (T) and David Dixon (G) didn’t make the Pro Bowl, but most teams would have probably been happy to replace their starters with either one of these two beasts.

If we’re going to have a successful season, our offensive line needs to really step it up this year. I’ll place my expectations on the new OL coach in getting their acts together.

62. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

agreed.

63. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

There were many reasons to like the 1998 team…….it was a heartbreaking loss to Atlanta in the NFC Championship game.
    For 2011, I hope we can block for our talented backfield……AP needs to have holes to run to before he can really do hjis magic……McNabb will need time to set up his receivers

64. By lynda on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE SACKS KEEP THE QB ON THEIR BACKS. LOVED TO SEE TJ LAYING ON THE SOD.ALSO SIDNEY RICE NOT DOING SO GOOD.FARVE MADE HIM LOOK GOOD .BIRD S ARE GOING TO BE SORRY THEY GOT BOTH…..

65. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus and Parody- good points! Rocksalt talks about controling the clock, which I think will be a very important factor to our success this year.
    McNabb is a ball control type of QB and AP is the best RB in the NFL. If we have trouble winning the time of possession battle, we may be in for a long year. Rocksalt, all I can say is it is only preseason… so I wouldn’t worry too much about the Seattle game. But I think you bring up a good point. Time of possession and 3rd down conversions will influence the wins and lose column.

I feel pretty good right now that the Vikings will excel in the time of possession battle this year.

66. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

For those that don’t think this team isn’t or won’t be very good u don’t know talent or haven’t been keeping up with what has been going on with the team. We have improved on the D and added so talent at wr. We also have the best and deepest qb core we have had in a long time. We even have very good backup for AP. Then we have to look at the coaching staff which I have seen for yrs as a big weakness except for 09. We have a head coach that the team believes in and wants to play for, we have a future hall of famer as a coach for the D and in singltary we have a motivator. We also have a signal call in the offensive coach that seems to want to open the field up. This is a good team and a good coaching staff and we will be even better next yr. yes we have to see how the DB’s and OL play yet and if just one of them steps up it increases our chances greatly.

67. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Just for the record, Rocksalt and everyone– David P misread my posting where I said we have the best team since 1998– I never said the 98 team was better than what we have now– Maybe I should have said since 1999. I was implying that 1998 was the last team that was better than what we have now. Plus, we need to be fair and read postings before replying– I said exactly your comment and I quoted John Madden– our D was good enough because our Offense was the highest scoring in history at that point. Anyway, when we are 7-1 at the break, we can discuss this more then.

68. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I love the powerful vibe from Vikes fans in spotting the strengths of this team. I would hope for McNabb, Antoine Winfield, Adrian Peterson, Jared Allen, and all of us long suffering fans that we get to a Super Bowl soon!

69. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus:

7-1 at the bye week would be fantastic!

70. By Arrow86 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Mike R:

Great to hear Viking fans are loud and proud in Eagle / Steeler territory. Hope to hear more about your Viking insights.

71. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings have cut WR Dominique Johnson and signed LB Kyle O’Donnell.
    I don’t know anything about him at this point… I will have to look him up.

72. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I have read some of you guys talk about our 98′ defense….i can tell you now that our defense as it stands righ now is better than 98′ We went 15-1 becuase of our offense was unstoppable. We came close to that type of offense during Farves 1st season with us. But in 98 we had people jumping on Viking band wagon. We had a better offense than the Rams best show on turf in their hay day. Anyway our D in 98 was able to be oppurtunistic and freelance so much cause we were always up by so much and they could take so many risk because we knew we could out score any1.

73. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I believe we will average over 30 points per game this yr. Our offense is solid. We have so much depth that we can keep coming at defenses in waves and stay fresh. we have 5 solid Wrs ( im leaving out BB) none of them superstars but all solid and i will even go as far to say that Mcnabb will make BB better because he is more patient than Farve was. Farve gave up on throwing to BB after week 4 lol because he realized BB wasnt the type of reciever who would make tough catches like Harvin and especially Rice that yr. Also we have 3 pass catching TEs assuming we keep all of them and we have Gerhart and booker backing AP. Yes our OL is not as good but i think they will get better and do just enough protecting to help us even though some games will be rough on OL.

74. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Kyle O’Donnell is an Australian Rugby League player… slim shot to make our 53 man roster. But two thumbs up to our scouts working over time to find all these diamond in the rough guys.

75. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

UM …has any1 noticed that we are um….kinda following N.E. Patriots blue print especially this yr. We have loaded up on TEs and solid WRs and we have better RBs than they do. But on Defense we are loading up on DEs and LBs. N.E. has been doing the same thing only difference they have added bigger name vets but i asked myself ” i said self.. why in the world are they adding all these d linemen and LBs? ” Then i see we are letting go of Ol 2 make room for DEs and now adding another LB….we have a plan and i thinks it resembles the Pats plan.

76. By 7-1 start? on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I am a big fan and would love to see the Vikings start off 7-1 wow I would be really happy, but I think we have some tough games to start and its going to be really hard to stop P.Rivers and SD in week 1 and going into KC is always a tough place to win at.

77. By Carl K on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I just wish the plan was to sign real talent like Greenway and AP.
    C’mon Spielman! Sign our meat and potatos.

78. By @Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Following the Pats plan, we are just missing one big part T.BRADY!!!!!

79. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

It is all speculation folks. So, I will speculate that we will be 7-1 at the bye. Any one of us could be right. Why not hope for greatness?

80. By Kenny on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Yes i know Mcnabb is not Brady but the Pats dont have any1 on the level of AP and i would think teams that follow other teams blueprints just try to make it work with adding as good of players as they can to resemble the other players. So we going to try and make it work with Mcnabb cuz there are not anymote Bradys out there lol. If Mcnabb spreads ball around and if he can stay in all 16 games then i think he will put up jis best numbers ever. The following blueprint thing doesnt always work. The ex head coach of Rams tried taking his model to both the lions and bears but he jus couldnt mke it work cuz he didnt have the same type of players he didnt have a Warner or faulk or Holt or bruce so u may b right that we couldnt make it work without a Brady. But lets see

81. By David P on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

There are two big diffeences between the 98 team and the team today. The 98 team was a scoring machine with one of the best OL in the league. The current vikings offense had better hope for ball control because it is hard to score with the QB on his back and DB’s (except for Winfield) that are not very good. The vikings defense cannot protect 3 and 7 point leads. And to the reference of being a vikings, I added that to show I have watched a lot of viking games. I want to be proven wrong, but the vikings will not be 7-1 at the bye week. The roster mistakes that will be made (keeping BB, Allen and cook) will make 7-1 impossible.

82. By Don on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian..

83. By David P on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

But on a postive note, the team is getting better. The Dallas game will be huge even though it is preseason.

84. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Maybe 8-0.

85. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I know people who have done a lot of activities for decades, yet have no expertise or ability to analyze what they observe. I say it again– tenure proves nothing but the ability to perhaps stagnate.

86. By Parody on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

BURN!

87. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m just glad the bye week isn’t stupi dly early.

88. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

No, not really Parody. I mean nothing malicious. I just hear so often the argument that length of time is proof of expertise. Time is important, but by itself, it means nothing. I have a long track record watching the Vikings too– as long as most on here, but what does that prove? If, I were actively engaged in the team, that would mean something. I make my predictions and back them with reason.

89. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

come on fans let get it on about this and see who’s right I’m making a bold prediction, I say bb will have a breakout season and will be the #1 reciever this yr for the team and him and mc Nabb will become the talk of the nfl.. Just like favre had his favorate and most qb’s do also bb will be Mc Nabb’s and he will show he wants to be a true player on this team. Remember how AP was fumble prone and only fumbled last yr 1 thine, this is how we will see bb yes he will drop a couple all recievers do but he will perform way beyond what most believe. I will get a lot of negitive responses from this but bring it on.

90. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Ah, another voice of pure wisdom! Welcome aboard the Supertrain, vikings fan1955.

91. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

honestly I think the season hinges on a few main factors.
    1. Chemistry. When things get clicking and everyone gets on the same page, a missed block here or a dropped pass or INT there, suddenly doesn’t impact the game as much. Its when teams are off gear (see last year) that all that stuff really comes back to haunt the team. Fraizer seems to have a tight house in order, so I think by midseason we’ll be on fire.

2. Health — this goes for everyteam, but you have to stay quasi healthy.

3. A little luck never hurt. This was suppose to be an easier schedule, but honestly I think the leagues more balanced that it has been in years,.
    First 5 games? Bolts, Bucks, Lions. Cheifs, and Cards. In years passed, 3 out of 5 would be gimmie games. This year? Maybe the Cheifs, due to their ridiculous training camp (take a look…. all they did was condition and film work during training camp) and possibly the Cards. The Bolts, Bucks, and Lions are all going to be hard fought games. Not David V Goliath mind you, but hard fought games nonetheless.

Chemistry, Discipline, health, and luck are the new keys to the NFL

92. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    Reason is completely different than pure optimism……

93. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

folks who drank the koolaid without questioning: see the Rev Jim Jones…….

94. By Rocksalt on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    You did post the following:

95. By Titus on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Rocksalt, so?

96. By troy on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

i dont know about anyone else, but this year im hoping to see a couple more plays of harvin with a handoff (kind of like against the packers last year?) not a ton.. but enough. last year i thought our offense was boring.. i hope this year isnt all dump offs.. teams need the big play every week. harvin can do it. im sure some young guns can pull it off

97. By David P on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus,

I am not stating that tenure means my opionion is worth more or means more than another. But get real, if anyone on this blog beleives this years offense is better than the one in 98 they need to stay away from the glue. The OL is in bad shape and when you have les than 3 seconds to stand to get a passing play ran then there is going to be trouble. I have watched a lot of viking games in the past and this offense is not the best. 7-1 no way. 8-0 impossible. The vikings will most likely be 4-4 or 5-3 at the break. The reasons: The offense will not be able to score a lot of points and the defense will not be able to protect 3 and 7 point leads. Also, I want to be proven wrong. I want to se the vikings in the SB, but that is a very steep hill for this year’s team to climb.

98. By Titus on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

David P– READ MY POSTINGS!!! I even went as far to say in one that I may have not been clear and I made it very clear– I am not comparing this year’s team to the 98 team– I have said that over and over. I am saying ours is the best since that team– since– so every team after the 98 to the present. Get out of the Elmers and get some fresh air fast!!!

99. By David P on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus,

And again I disagree. This team has a lot of holes in it. I guess the only way to prove it is to watch the team finish 3rd of 4th in the division this year. But I guess someone needs to have high hopes for this team so it may as well be you. I will take the wait and see approach.