Frazier Sees Progress, But Also Knows Work Remains; Practice Notes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 22, 2011 – 2:23 pm

After a day off on Sunday following their preseason victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday night, the Vikings returned to the practice fields at Winter Park on Monday for an abbreviated workout. The Vikings conducted what they call a 10-10-10 practice, which lasted for approximately an hour.

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier met with reporters after practice and said that after watching the tape from Saturday night’s win over Seattle he saw his team was making progress. But he also acknowledged there is still work to be done before the team is prepared to open the regular season on September 11 in San Diego.

“There were some good things that we really felt good about,” Frazier said. “There was some improvement in some key areas, really across the board. But there’s also a lot of work to be done, we realize that. That’s one of the reasons we’re in the preseason, to try to improve and identify what we are going to be as a football team.”

Monday’s practice saw the return of a few key offensive players, with TE Visanthe Shiancoe and WRs Greg Camarillo and Percy Harvin back in the action. Frazier seemed please with his team’s effort in practice on Monday and said the team is poised for another solid week of practice leading up to Saturday night’s contest with the Dallas Cowboys at Mall of America Field.

“Really appreciative of the effort that our guys displayed and the desire to want to be good,” Frazier said. “Today’s practice we wanted to make sure they were focused, they were in tune with what we were trying to get done, and that was the case so it was a good way start to the week.”

Here are a few notes from Monday’s practice and Frazier’s press conference…

– The Vikings practiced in helmets, shells and shorts on Monday in warm temperatures and under a sunny sky. They worked on both kickoff and punt return and also had a period of no-huddle offense/defense against the 40-second play clock.

– Devin Aromashodu and Harvin logged highlight-caliber catches during practice. Harvin ran a corner route and hauled in a long pass before falling to the ground and out of bounds with Antoine Winfield covering him like a blanket. Aromashodu’s catch came on a quick out route in which spun out of his break, briefly lost his footing, regained his footing and turned to look for the football just as it arrived. Aromashodu is climbing up the depth chart in a crowded WR stable and is doing so in large part because of his ability to contribute on special teams.

– LB Erin Henderson, who is still the favorite to win a starting outside LB position, intercepted a pass from Donovan McNabb. But McNabb turned around and hit WR Bernard Berrian on the next play and then found WR Michael Jenkins deep down the field just a few plays later.

– Among those who did not practice today were RB Toby Gerhart (ankle), LB Ross Homan (concussion) and LB Mark Washington (stinger). LB Heath Farwell, who missed much of last week’s practice, was back on the field. Frazier Homan will not play in this weekend’s game against the Cowboys.

– Frazier said he was unsure if starting RG Anthony Herrera would make his preseason debut this weekend and he also said that Ryan Cook would be the likely replacement if Herrera was unable to go.

– In what will hopefully be a minor issue but could turn into a major one, DT Kevin Williams was held out of practice today because of a foot injury that’s been bothering him since training camp. Frazier said Williams was having trouble pushing off on the foot during last Saturday’s game. Williams will see a foot specialist today and Frazier said the team could hear the results from those tests as early as tomorrow. Also, Frazier said he hasn’t heard a word from the NFL regarding Williams’ possible four-game suspension.

Tags: , , , , ,

64 Responses to “Frazier Sees Progress, But Also Knows Work Remains; Practice Notes”

1. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I really hope K Will is not seriously hurt! Good to have Shank and Harvin back. I look froward to seeing what our offense can do with everyone healthy this Sat. against the Cowboys. Erin Henderson is going to b a monster i have really like what i’ve seen of him the last 2 games. I get upset with the vikings staying so loyal to B.B. Even at his best a few yrs ago he was a @nd teir WR. while i believ he will be better with Mcnabb then Farve i dont believe he sshould be in top 3 rotation. I go Harvin, Jenkins, Devin Aromashodu and bring in BB and Camrillo in on 5 Wr sets I just dont want BB cutting into development of Aromashodu cuz he can be good. I hope BB has good yr but we keep giving him shots hoping for something and not undersstanding that even at his best he was jus Ok. Sure he has speed and can strecth the field but if you cant catch it dont matter. Rice strecthed the field while with far and he was slower that a old man in checkout line at grocery store. But he had soft hands and i see that with Aromashodu plus he has the spped BB has! The two best Hands on the team are Camrillo and Booker yes Booker can catch anything i hope we use him as 3rd down back. Camrillo i love him but he even slower than rice ! He just a possesion Wr

2. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny,

Since when is Rice slow? I thought he was one of the fastest viking receivers last year.

3. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

4. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

This is from,

The Vikings have requested a new stadium, the players are calling the Metrodome the worst stadium in the NFL and even the fans are screaming for something new. Nobody at this time knows the process of a new stadium. All I know is that something must get worked out before the Vikings exercise their option to leave the state of Minnesota in 2012.

5. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@ Frederick 1st off i really like your post and i usually agree with your comments you seem cool but Rice was and is slow lol To be honest i didnt really know he was as slow as he was up until his breakout yr. He reminded me of Moss so much with his build and his catching ability and man ole man he was a slower version by far. As great as he was that yr. He didnt have to many Tds after catch cuz he is not fast but he had many many catches in traffic which i understand makes it hard to break free for yards from lol I loved Rice that Yr almost as i love Moss the yrs he played for us but the dude was slow or mayb i should say a lot slower but then again not many WRs are as fast as Moss was

6. By Stoney on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Kenny, so what your saying is Rice was slow

7. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny,

According to Rice’s wiki, he was a 4.51 40 yard dash guy. I wouldn’t say he was a burner, but he certainly was not slow. In addition he had a 39+ vertical leap.

8. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Vikings defense frustrates Seattle’s Tarvaris Jackson in 20-7 win
    SEATTLE (AP) — Donovan McNabb only needed one good drive to see progress from his first preseason start with Minnesota. There was no progress for Tarvaris Jackson. Only more questions about Seattle’s remodeled offense.
    By Associated Press , August 22, 2011

9. By Shawn on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Fred … Kenny is right , as far as WRs go Rice was slower but he had that Moss leaping / jump ball gift that allowed him to jump over and snag ba’lls even when he was covered

10. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Poor TJ, What was the reason this time for underachieving?

11. By Shawn on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see our WR depth chart look like this …

WR1- Michael Jenkins
    WR2- Arceneaux or Aromajasfjgvnsdujv – shadu
    WR3- Percy Harvin ( actually our number 1 but plays better in the 3 spot / slot )

WR4- Arceneaux / Aromasdhfsklhja – shadu / or Iglesias
    WR5- Arceneaux / Aromaslahkfaskj – shadu / Iglesias / or Camarillo

I think any of those 3 new guys could do whatever Berrian can do and they are younger … in fact I think I could catch 30 pas’ses which is all Berrian is good for

12. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Why so many injuries and the season has not started?

13. By Shawn on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I will say I couldnt outrun anyone for a 99 yard TD :)

14. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Is it the players conditioning or is the field conditions?

15. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, I could not out run anyone for a 1yrd TD, LOL, not in my condition. That is why I do not get the big money, LOL.

16. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Bob Hayes was slow compared to Usain Bolt. lol

17. By Shawn on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I also hope our CB depth chart looks like …

CB1- Winfield
    CB2- Griffen
    CB3- Cook
    CB4- Sherels or Burton
    CB5- Burton or Allen

possibly keep Asher as a safety CB if someone gets hurt and put Burton on the practice squad give him 1 more year to take Ashers job

but I dont see either of the young guys hurting us like Asher Allen does

18. By Shawn on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

lol DRS … I probably couldnt either , sometimes I think Im cooler than I am :)

19. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Besides, I would be a D-Line man if I were able to play in the NFL, Never got the chance. All those with the political influence and color always got their chance over us poor individuals, time to get over the spilt milk and to cheer on the Vikings.

20. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Go Vikings, SB 2011; Start building the New Stadium 2012!

21. By DRS on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Farewell for now

22. By Titus on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Is Moss retired for good? What is he doing? Opening a restaurant?

23. By Preeno on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

has berrian caught a pass yet this preseason? :P

24. By Preeno on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

i guess he has 2 for 12

25. By Carl K on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings worked out DB Kelvin Hayden today. He 6-0 195lb and has started 46 games for the Colts at CB. I think the Vikings also signed a RB Caleb King.

26. By Arrow86 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K:

Once again you break the Viking signings to all us fans. THANKS A MILLION!! Why are the Colts letting Hayden go? I thought he was a decent player. More importantly, What in the %^&! are the Vikings signing more running backs for??

27. By Arrow86 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

In reading Frazier’s comments, I see more and more the correlation to how he runs a team, to how Tony Dungy ran his teams. There will always be ups and downs, but let’s stay behind Frazier and he’ll build a champion.

28. By Shawn on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

for the record i saw someone else from another blog do that thing for Aromashadu’s name and thought it was funny

Aromasljfhknvja – shadu

29. By Arrow86 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobs:

I enjoy the blogs on this site. However, can you get one of the Viking tech guys to clean up the tags on the right hand side of the screne? If they haven’t been a Viking since the day the lockout ended, they need to be removed. Otherwise, we may as well put up Norm Van Brocklin and Joe Capp.

Also, Alexander Robinson is listed on the Vikings roster as a Quarterback. Could that be changed to accurately reflect he is a running back? I know, I’m fussy that way. Thanks.

30. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@ Arrow i have heard that Hayden has majot injury concerns. He has tried out for couple of teams including our rival Bears but no team has signed him as of yet because of their concern of injuries he has had but i hope he works out for us. I dont think you can ever had to many DBs plus they can move him to FS

31. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

that is Major not majot sorry i cant type fast to save life.

32. By Conor on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

i wanna see tony carter given more time he had the most pass deflections in the last game and also he almost had a nasty interception

33. By Mike B. on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@titus lol Moss opening a restuarant I bet there is someone like ot say a few words when he opens.

34. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@ Conor….Yes! I agree i am glad you noticed that of Carter also. He looked real good. Hope he gets more time also both he and Sherels. ! of them i hope plays in nickel packages.

35. By Mike B. on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

they were at 90 with the DE they signed who did they cut if they signed another RB

36. By Mike B. on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see more from the other WR play with the first offense. I have doubts about Berrian.

37. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

same her i hope the teams faith in Berrian does not slow the progress of the younger WRs . I really hope they see that BErrian is not our best option at 2nd WR. We actaully dont even have a true #1 WR. We have a alot of solid but not great wideouts. I like that i would take 5 solid WRS over 1 Superstar , so i think we will be good but if Berrian is not best option please dont force him in the line up

38. By Mike B. on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@DRS I think it’s a mistake to alienate the fans from the metrodome. It is still the venue the games will be played until the new stadium is built. It’s old but still the home stadium. Need to keep people going to games. Cheer on the team. I was there Last year.

39. By Conor on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Kenny once i saw him almost get an interception i knew we should seriously give him and sherels time against the 1st team offesnse of the cowboys because i have feeling they could really impress

40. By Vikings4Life on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I hope they start everson griffen against the cowboys and give awasom more playing time they both have high motors.

41. By Frederick Jones on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I just saw a few plays of the Giants-Bears game. The Giants were ahead by like 34-7 (I think in the 3rd quarter) !

Of course it’s pre-season but David Carr looked like an all-pro.

Why are we playing the Cowboys in a pre-season game? Shouldn’t we be playing an AFC that we rarely play?

42. By Huy on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Question, did DT Remi Ayodele play at all ?

43. By sandiamond on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Carl big news: 2 vets and a rookie

44. By Tim on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Adrian Peterson & Lorenzo Booker are gonna tear S*it up this Season.

45. By Arrow86 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Tim

You don’t need to post anymore, you’ve reached genius status! LOL! I like the positive vibe on AP and Booker. Our depth in the backfield is impressive.

46. By Parody on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I just learned that AP has the same agent as Fitzgerald, and read that he is relatively excited about Fitz getting such a lucrative contract. It will be interesting to find out how everything works out, but I don’t know that the team can afford to pay AP so well.

Maybe the new addition to our DLine is to compensate for a future trade that will free up some cap space. Robison’s new contract just might be a little too big now.

47. By Parody on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

More curious of a move was the addition of Caleb King, a rookie RB out of Georgia, to the team. News is that he won’t be officially added until after he pässes a physical tomorrow, so the team won’t cut anyone to make roster space until then.

It’s just hard to see how he’ll be used. AP and Gerhart have the top-2 spots locked down, and Booker has shown well enough in KR duties that, coupled with good performance in the 3rd string offense makes it hard to believe that the coaches think we need to upgrade the position or even can with a supplemental draft candidate.

48. By Tim on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you Arrow86 we got a great backfield look how great Mcnabb was with Westbrook now he has the best Running Back in the NFL to hand the ball off the Vikings are gonna be unstoppable.

49. By Tim on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I hope Cedric Griffin stays Healthy.

50. By Shawn on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

By Arrow86 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Tim

___________________________________________________________

@Arrow86 …. LOL ,THATS AWESOME !!!! You may not need to post anymore either :) Im pretty sure thats genius

51. By Shawn on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … your Moss restaurant comment went right over my head :) good stuff

52. By Rocksalt on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

well, speed can be overrated. Bottom line is ya gotta be a good football player.
    Troy Williamson was a burner….problem was he couldn’t catch the ball…….
    BTW Jerry Rice was not a burner.he seemed to do okay……Cris Carter was not a burner.all he did was…. catch touchdowns…..

53. By PaulMax1957 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I watched the game on Saturday and was impressed by Ponder and the way he just stood in the pocket after dropping back having confidence that the O-line was going to do their jobs. Of course at times he did have to scramble for his life. The defense was first rate and the offense improved a little but it’s still alarming that the starting offensive unit has not scored a TD yet.
    Will be listening to the game Saturday online. GOOO VIKINGS

54. By Vikings4Life on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I heard they said rudolph was struggling in camp, he seems to be doing well in preseason, reminds me of todd heap big and physical. I like our steelers, patriots offense run and gun as they say it in madden.

55. By Vikings4Life on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Not a good time to sign they have to trim their roster down very soon, unless they make the practice squad. Loaded at rb’s already and defensive ends I’m guessing they are used for special teams only.

56. By Troutdaddy on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Come opening game, I think we are going to be amazed to see the Vikes firing on all cylinders. I was very excited to see how our new receivers are working. More impressed with Booker and Iglesias. I think the uniqueness of the team this year is going to be exciting and very talked about early on in the press once the first couple of games are done. Still not sure of Berrian. Got to see it to believe it to know if he can deliver. I bleed purple… Nuf said…

57. By Carl K on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@arrow86 – Kelvin Hayden had a big contract with the Colts and I think they cut him to try and make cap room to sign a QB. Kelvin is a solid corner, bu the Colts drafted him in the second round in 2005 which was a bit of a reach at that time because Kelvin only play 1 year as a DB for Illionois.

If the Vikings want to sign him, they better hurry… the Gianst lost their starting corner last night with an ACL injury.

58. By Parody on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K – It looks like the Cowboys, Bears and Chiefs (among others) are showing strong interest in Hayden too.

59. By Joe C on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@tim

You need your line to block for you to tear s ## up Booker and Peterson will need to gain a lot of yards on their own cause i see the same issues from our front line as we had last year. I just hope they don’t get Donovan killed when they miss assignments over and over

60. By Jason on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Have beem mildly impressed with the vikes progression for week 1 to week 2, but still impressed. I was really impressed with the lack of penalties especially the first half on saturday. That is a sign of a WELL COACHED team. My big concern is with the Offensive Line, Defensive Tackles, and keeping or corners healthy. If those issues are average than we will actually compete this year.

61. By Tim on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Good point Joe C.

62. By Don on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…Cut Berrian…

63. By Mike R. on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

The Vikes seem to have a thing for WRs from South Carolina. Troy Williamson was drafted to replace Moss. Sidney Rice drafted in second round. If the Vikings knew they were definately going to lose Rice to the Seahawks, I think they would have drafted/signed Tori Gurley. Oh well, there is next years draft. Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina…

64. By Don on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian.. Cut Berrian..