Defensive Highlights: Goal Line Stand, Sherels INT Return For TD

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 21, 2011 – 10:45 am

The Vikings carried a 13-point lead into the locker room at halftime on Saturday night in Seattle. And although they had outscored the Seahawks by 13 points through 2 quarters, there was no question the defense was primarily responsible for the advantage.

It was Seattle who made the game’s first big play, about midway through the opening quarter. The Vikings defense had forced a second Seattle punt and CB Marcus Sherels was back to return the kick. He hauled in Jon Ryan’s punt and started making his way upfield. Sherels was eventually tackled after a 16-yard return, but then the ball squirted loose and Seattle picked it up. The call on the field was that Sherels was down by contact and did not fumble, but a challenge by Seattle resulted in the ruling being overturned, which gave the Seahawks possession.

Just four plays later on a 3rd and 7 from Minnesota’s 43, Seattle QB Tarvaris Jackson rifled a pass to WR Golden Tate. But Tate was unable to haul in the pass and it deflected off his fingers and up into the air. Sherels was there in coverage and grabbed the deflection. In an instant he had secured the ball and sprinting the other way, leaving no Seahawks offensive player with a chance to catch him. Sherels was too fast and he dashed 64 yards for the TD, more than making up for his fumbled punt return just moments earlier.

The second defensive highlight of the first half was just as dramatic, but it was a bit more drawn out. After Sherels INT return for a TD, Seattle began their next possession on the 27. Jackson led the Seahawks on a march downfield and had his offense with a 1st-and-goal situation from the 2.

On first down, Jackson handed off to RB Justin Forsett on a dive play up the middle, but DE David Akinniyi and DT Letroy Guion were there to stop him from going in. On second down, LB Larry Dean and DL Christian Ballard teamed up to stop Forsett for no gain and then on third down it was DE Adrian Awasom who halted Forsett short of paydirt. Seattle Head Coach Pete Carroll decided to go for it on 4th and inches from inside the 1, but great efforts by CB Chris Cook and LB Erin Henderson helped Guion make another stop and the Vikings defense had held Seattle from a TD on 4 straight plays from inside the 2.

Tags: , , , ,

79 Responses to “Defensive Highlights: Goal Line Stand, Sherels INT Return For TD”

1. By CA_Viking_fan on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

For those lucky enough to have been able to watch this game, how did the overall intensity look for the team? Did everybody go all-out and play each down until the whistle blow? This is the main thing I hope to see improvement on. Even if they are losing a game, I would be so happy to see a never quit attitude. Go Vikes. (faithful fan since I was born)

2. By Garrett on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I feel your pain man. I wish I could watch them every week too but I live in NC so I don’t get to watch them either…:(

3. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think the intensity was there for a lot of the guys who we know are guaranteed starters. They were looking more the nature of “I’m just getting some reps in for the feel of the game, but don’t do anything stupid so I can be healthy for the start of the season.” This wasn’t the case for all of them, as Jared looked a little crazy hungry to get a sack on Jackson. Unfortunately he was a little too crazy and let Jackson squirm away and run it for a couple yards.

The other guys on the field though were definitely playing like there was no tomorrow. That’s what competition does for a team, and unfortunately it resulted in some injuries. I could tell Ross Homan really wants to be on the team, as he threw in a late hit while trying to make an impression early when he got on the field, and then he hurt himself later on.

4. By sandiamond on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

bleeding purple too for a long time Garrett here in nc!

Sandi

5. By CA_Viking_fan on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

God Bless Jared Allen! He plays with intensity. I wish it would rubb off on some certain teammates.

6. By Don on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I really feel Sherels should be above ahser..Watching this game he plays with heart and alot of speed..cook stepped up against rice..but i really feel asher and bernard needs to be cut..I didn’t hear berrian’s name get called one time..did he even play..

7. By Landon on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I was at the game live in Seattle. I’m a vikings fan and was really glad it was my first Vikings (and NFL) game!

Some thoughts: The first team offense reaaallly looked good. McNabb was sharp and he had a good pocket throughout most of the time he was in the game (while there were a couple of lapses, our offensive line still looks like it took huge strides since the last outing). AP looked FAST. He’s going to have an awesome year. I really like Michael Jenkins, Aromashodu and Kyle Rudolph; I was especially impressed because of the fact that our offense looked crisp without Shank and Percy, as well as Herrera missing on the O-Line.

As for the defense, we SMOTHERED Seattle throughout the whole game. our d-line rotation (Awasom, Griffen in particular) were putting pressure on T-Jack and Whitehurst the whole night, and our inside tackles were forcing runs to the outside and stuffing them when they didn’t bounce. Our first team D looked great too, and I really liked what I saw out of Mistral Raymond. He’s going to be a steal. Erin Henderson is still making plays all over the field, and I think he’s a lock to win the weak side linebacking job.

I think the biggest surprise was our secondary play. Cook absolutely locked down Sidney Rice, and Cedric Griffin’s brief action was promising. The player of the game had to be Marcus Sherrels. Even though he fumbled a punt, he made up for it with that pick six, which looked SOOOO fast in person. He also made a bunch of tackles and it looks like he’s leapfrogged Allen.

Just some thoughts. And i think Longwell’s juicing, all his kickoffs were 6 yards deep!

8. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

aollo

9. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Nice defensive gameplan and the first unit offense was also sharp, impressed but I hope they don’t lay an egg next week. Keep sherals drop asher the vikes would be a fool to keep giving asher a chance when he gets burned way too often sherals has way more knack he also can recover from a bad play. Keep awasom he’s got some edge to his game. Everson griffen should take brian robison’s spot.

10. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

The rookie undrafted dean linebacker should also make this team he seems to be a solid tackler, erin henderson improved but still needs to tackle better. Special teams has impressed me I think by far this is the best special team I’ve seen from the vikings for quite some time. I think they should take sherals off the punt return duties let him focus on being a corner and risk an injury. Lorenzo booker and cord parks should do the punt and kickoff return duties.

11. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Ponder made couple nice throws but overall his accuracy is off he still has a long ways to go but he does have scrambling abilities which is good. If mcnabb retires I would start joe webb as qb he’s way more poised than ponder.

12. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

We are in excellent shape. This is going to be a good year.

13. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Vikings will kill the Packers. Twice.

14. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

this game should let ppl see that u can’t judge a team on one game. There were so many negitive comments after the first game and many seem to forget there were very few camps compared to what teams get to have every year.i see the plan that coach frazier has and it’s coming together on both sides of the ball. Now I see we have a true starter in mc nabb and a very capable even though raw qb in ponder, he is the future qb for this team and will carry them a long ways. So be patient viking fans this will be a very good yr and no matter what anyone say we have as good a chance as anyother team to go all the way.

15. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

And the just shall live by faith…

16. By Vikingsrock on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

All,

If you want to watch vikings game online go to atdhenet.tv SKOL VIKES

17. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Don’t be surprised when the Vikings win 12 games.

18. By Craig on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I think Erin Henderson has played well. He sems to be a sideline-to-sideline LB.
    Ballard has had his moments too. Sack last week and a 4th down stuffing at the goaline.

19. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

This team may be better than the 09 team.

20. By Mike B. on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Titus I think the word is still out on that. You are being overly hopeful. The WR core is not as good as the 09 team. OL is still a work in progress. Def Secondary is questionable but that isn’t a change from 09. Rest I would agree with you on.

21. By skol patrol on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

the vikes will indeed win at least 10 games this season. they have someone at almost every position that plays exceptional. their defense alows almost no points, and is fantasy players packed on the offense. their
    WR position is packed with harvin, jenkins, shiancoe (TE),camarillo, berrian and others. nothing to worry about

22. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Its a win at least but not going to get over emotional over a a seahawks win they didn’t really play all that great. Will be a better challenge next week against the cowgirls.

23. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Titus & Mike B – The WR corps is different from ’09, and has a fighting chance to be as good. We have no SIdney Rice on the team, but with Jenkins, an extra receiving TE in Rudolph and some decent production out of the #4 and #5 WRs (they only put up 105 yds in ’09), there’s a possibility that McNabb will be able to spread the ball around enough to catch up to Favre’s 4200 yard season.

The defense will have some trouble catching up to the ’09 team as well. They had 46 sacks and 30 turnovers. The passing defense looks better, but without Ray Edwards and Pat Williams, the rushing defense may suffer.

24. By mojo on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

vikings for life what are you talking about they must of played great if they won and defefned relly good on the goal line and in the passing game the only good passing gains was on screen and a play actoin pass

25. By PBizzle on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Good to see a road win even if it was the Seahawks in pre-season. Can’t comment much on the game because I will have to wait to see the replay. I am looking forward to seeing how the D holds up against Dallas’s and Houston’s balanced offense’s. Also looking forward to see how the OT’s handle D.Ware and M.Williams coming off the edges in next two games. I think that will help the Coaches get a good grasp of where the team is before heading to San Diego for season opener.

26. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Seahawks suck anyway but vikings did blitz without hesitation and had got to the qb.

27. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike B– where is the logic behind — our WR core is not as good as 09?????
    We had Rice back then– he is the only subtraction, but Jenkins and others will fill that role— and we have another hall of famer QB– also 6 years younger than Favre, and also a leader in NOT throwing interceptions– a complete reversal from 09— remember a WR core is only as good as the QB throwing to them– so, one could make a very logical case– OUR WR CORE IS BETTER THAN O9.
    I rest my case.

28. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

May I remind everyone, I was saying how good a team we had BEFORE the Seahawk win? My as-sessment does not oscillate based on preseason performances. The Seahawk win only confirmed what I already knew.

29. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Seahawks beat the defending world champs in the playoffs last year– not so sure they s u c k.

30. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I said we have a better TEAM than 09. Who can argue that? Much of the personnel in talent is equal to, or better– we may be a little weaker at the run defense, but it didn’t look that way on Sat– our DLine and pass rush may make up for that,
    Back to TEAM. We have better coaching all around– look at Musgrave. We have a head coach who is not insecure and overly controlling– feedback is welcomed from the players, especially our great ones– plus no player has power based on special treatment. Cohesive, better team chemistry and better coaching. Definitely a better depth at QB position– yeah, this team is the best we’ve had since 1998.

31. By tru-speed on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

ALL Im Going To Say Is!!!!!!!!! The Vikings Are Some Beast! On Both Sides Of The Ball!!!!!!!!!!! AND Special Teams!!! AP 2000plus yards! & #1 run defense!

32. By Mike B. on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Titus You are saying that 11 Jenkins/Berrian is better than 09 Rice. I am not sure what your thought pattern is but they are not up to that performance. I will agree we made an upgrade at TE. I leave Harvin out of the convo cause he is not the deep threat WR as Rice. Harvin’s strength is in the middle make someone miss and it’s off to the races. Rice was more down the sidelines and get the ball. Berrian and rest haven’t show that much in that mode to be classified as better than the 09 Rice. I just had a convo that Rice wasn’t the #1 WR in 10 that Havrin had better stats last year. I look at the #1 WR as your deep threat and I don’t put Harvin in that category. The DL without Pat is still a work in progress I am not willing to say after only one game they are better. So I think your looking at rainbows there Titus.

33. By Mike B. on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

OL is definately not at the 09 level. I would like to see how they do against the next two teams at home. They improved but not at the 09 level. Farve in 09 and McNabb in 10 I think that’s a even parallel so far. Defensive Secondary with the coaches keeping the hopes on Cook and Allen is misplaced not sold on those two guys. Linebackers are same level Erin is better or at least as good as Leber. (I will say better) Jerad Allen’s opposite side is not as good as 09, but may get better with time. Hey that’s just me I am not painting roses on shinenola.

34. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I like coach pagac’s aggressive approach, I still would like everson griffen to be on the first unit come regular season, I think they gave the job to robison too soon I think they handed him the job.

35. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I like the bootlegs very effective vikings need to run more bootlegs the seahawks bit on the bootlegs many times. Maybe consider moving chris cook to safety let burton be the dime corner.

36. By Vikings4Life on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I like the robinson runningback guy undrafted free agent, I doubt he will make the team but he deserves more playing time in preseason.

37. By Daniel on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Watching the Cowboys, I feel like We should be able to seal off the run. I think Having Lieber go was one of the best moves we made. Erin is doing so well and the attention of our great D-line is forming into our LBs. We are so lucky to have such a great group of LBs. This exposes our CBs and Safties. I think teams will try to beat us deep. This Is where I feel like Griffen should be the starter and Ballard should come in on 2nd and 3rd. Both are ready and deserve those spots. I am so glad Cook locked down Rice. May that give him his confidence back.

38. By Arrow86 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Viking4Life:

Alexander Robinson would be a good addition to our practice squad, and possibly our active roster. The kid who ran for the 4th quarter TD obviously has some talent as well. RB definitely isn’t a weakness.

Next week I expect the projected starters will play all of the first half and maybe a little of the 3rd quarter. Week 4 should give Robinson a chance to show what he can do. Hopefully, he’ll make it in the N.F.L. for his hometown team.

39. By Daniel on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

If cook does well this year we will be ok. If our safties show up and make plays, we will be safe. If our line give McNabb time and hold the line we should make a good push. BUT! IF teams break these weak spots and attack Cook, our safties, and rush between Center and RG, and pressure LT side, then We will be missing alot of games.

40. By moorevikes on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus, by saying this team is the best we’ve had since 98 does that mean you’re saying we go at least 14-2? For someone who writes for a living, you should probably lay off the weed and send that stuff to the working class, me. Just frackin with ya Titus. I gotta say although I don’t agree with all of your optimism I do like the confidence (dreams), whatever you want to call it. I hope you’re right. I do think we are miles ahead of where we were in coaching, but if we can’t keep our QB upright or open up holes for All Day we will not win 10 games. The NFC is looking real good as a whole and I think we’ll need at least 11 wins to make the playoffs. Just my opinion.

41. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

After watching the Dallas @ San Diego game tonight, I’m going to be expecting the team to do really well next week. The Cowboys were making a lot of mistakes, and we should be able to capitalize on them the same way the Chargers did tonight. It’s the first time underneath the new roof, so the stadium ought to be screaming as loud as it ever has. Plus, I’d hate to have to come in here and defend the team again if we don’t have a good showing next week.

42. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Excuse me, that should have been San Diego @ Dallas. I think the white home jerseys threw me off.

43. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha– well, it is fun to dream. Seriously, we have a lot of pieces in place– In about 8 weeks, we will know whether the dream holds.

44. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike B– Rice came alive one season because of a hall of famer QB. We have better WRs overall than in 09 ( with the exception of Rice) and have another hall of famer QB– we should be as well or better off in the WR position. If you think Greg Lewis and company were a better group, well, you are entitled to your opinion.

45. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I only have one word to say for all of us…

46. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

47. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

You might want to double check your spelling on that one Titus. I think it’s only supposed to have 150 Os.

48. By CA Norwegian on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Was not Kleinsasser owner of the largest real estate gain? Are Vikes fans still wanting him out? I agree about Berrian, but I think he will be better. Still I would rather see the kid from the CFL, get a shot. It is looking like others are doing more of the right things. Cut Asher and Berrian. Make it a rebuilding year.

49. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

98% of Brett’s yardage in ’09 went to 6-receivers. Those receivers were, in order: Rice, Harvin, Berrian, Shiancoe, Peterson & Taylor. Only two of those receivers will have changed moving into 2011. It’s very likely that Jenkins in place of Rice will get significantly fewer yards. However, instead of a RB in the 6th spot, we’re likely to have a second TE with Rudolph who I expect will be seeing more time on the field and getting more yards than Taylor did through the air.

From what I’ve seen of Musgrave’s offense, I expect AP to be running a lot more routes, and we can expect his yardage to improve from ’09. Harvin is likely to be getting more targets and more yards as well. Add in the likelihood that McNabb will spread the ball around a bit more hitting Gerhart and his other 2-WRs (whoever they turn out to be) for significant yardage throughout the season, and it’s very possible for him to get as many or more yards than Favre did in 2009. Only time will tell if this is all accomplished.

50. By CA Norwegian on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I am not so sure about the cowgirls game, but I was predicting 4 losses in regular season. My thought is they will be motivated by the playoff loss.
    I think you can bet a chunk that McNabb will beat the skins.

51. By CA Norwegian on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s looking like the plan is working for this team, thus far. Here’s to the management, and Wobs. Now if they can get red zone TDs nexst week, Then I might be betting on a superbowl.

52. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@CA Norwegian – Not to take anything away from him, but Kleinsasser is still a blocking TE. He just happened to be uncovered with a lot of room to move on that play, but when Shiancoe and Rudolph are both healthy on game day, they will be the primary targets at the position.

I still like Kleinsasser, and will keep him on the team if I could, but if it comes down to finding a way to get underneath the cap, he’s one of my first scratches with his high salary. I don’t know how things are progressing with the contract negotiations for AP and Greenway, but I’d rather move into the season with both of them on a new long-term deal, than keep #40 for one last year.

Fitz just signed a deal worth $15M a year, and AP is arguably just as much of a playmaker as Fitz is. So it will be interesting to see if Adrian and his agent demand similar compensation for AP to ink a new deal. I’m pretty sure that CJ2K is going to be going that direction, but I have a more positive view of #28. Hopefully he holds true to my impression of him.

53. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Time for Fred Jones to chime in.

54. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody, how did you count the Os not on the screen? I had it spelled correctly.

55. By Titus on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Looks like the Chargers may be a handful — I watched just a few minutes of that game, but I caught the commentators talking about the Chargers schedule– they mentioned three or four teams, MN one of them, and they said– the Chargers should be favored in all those games. Gotta like it. We are going to come out of nowhere. But it will be a close game. Vikings 34, Chargers 20.

56. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – I highlighted across my page and was able to see the characters that slip in on top of the black border. I started losing count near 200 Os, so you definitely went over the 150 character limit for a single vowel in the same word. ;)

57. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I think if our pass protection can hold up, the Charger game will be a close fought, low scoring game. Something more to the tune of 20-14, with the Vikings Defense notching the win on a goalline stand near the end of regulation.

58. By CA Norwegian on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Frasier said we would take what their Defense gives. He is so right, and that means they will give the short stuff, mostly. This is good news for our defense, because if we execute and work our way upfield, and get first downs. Then score points… The Defense will not be so exerted and exhausted and frustrated by the offense giving the ball back so many times, on 3 and outs. High percentage and methodical passing will make our D better because our time of possession will keep the D rested, healthy and encouraged and rewarded for their hard work.

59. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I think the biggest difference from our 2009 to 2010 team was the turnovers. Favre alone increased his INTs by 12 and his fumbles by 5, even though he played in 3 fewer games. Those extra turnovers meant the defense was taking the field in worse position, and with less time to rest up.

Considering the fact that the offense gave up 19 extra turnovers, the defense performed exceptionally well last year, only giving up 36 more points than the 2009 campaign.

So our need appears very clear. Control the turnovers! Hold on to the ball and complete drives with points. A fresh QB and an improved offensive line should go a long way in helping the team realize this goal.

60. By Nightdog on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

One question;
    How could Jared Not get that sack on TJ? Jared? is it the dome?

61. By Kenny on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Please Coah Frazier…use Booker as 3rd down back, He has better hands and is faster than Taylor was for us as 3rd down back. I like Gerhart but he is not suited for 3rd down back. I also know they plan to use All Day more on 3rd downs but booker is better at catching..you can split him wide. We will win !0-11 games we have a tough schedule this yr. we will finish a close 2nd to Packers and we will make Playoff as wildcard and then upset Packers in playoffs. You heard it 1st from me…remember it! Also all of you that were calling for Ponder to start over Mcnabb i hope you watched our game against the Hawks so u can stop all that sillyness

62. By Old School on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Titus…………..I stopped reading when you posted that after this “Preseason” win …this team is now…..according to you…is going to beat the Packers….”Twice” ???????????

WOW!

I think, you may be insane!

63. By Rye on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

After watching the first couple preseason games, it’s almost looking like our WR’s will be Jenkins and Aromashodu and Harvin.

It’s only a matter of time for Berrian. He hasn’t shown much so far and Aromashodu has had a few nice grabs.

64. By vikeforever on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I was really encouraged by the win. But we are far from winning the division or anything. The offencse still needs to score TD in the redzone. Its still looking like the O line still needs their timing, I did see players getting beat. I like to see BB get in the game somewhere just to see SOMETHING! The defense looked good, special teams looks really good. I was wondering if S.Rice is thinking he made a good choice going to Seattle with TJack as his QB? Go Vikes !!

65. By Woodboat on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Vikings fan1955…. “Don’t judge a team by one game.”
    What did you just do? Oh, yeah, judge this team by one game :P LOL

They looked better this week vs. an inferior team, I grant you that. I, like you, hope to see them take another step towards being a “good” team this week when they play the Cowboys.

Someone suggested in the Monday Morning Mailbag that the team consider moving Loadholt to LT. Do me a favor… this week, watch Loadholt miss his blocks instead of watching McNabb scrambling around. While it is true the NFL Network decided to play the 4th qtr of another game instead of the 1st qtr of the Vikes/Seattle game, what I DID see of Loadholt was him getting beat. I don’t know what the refs were watching, but I saw him drag his man down from behind at least twice in the short time I got to see him on the field… in both those instances the DE was about a step from creaming McNabb. So stop with the “move Loadholt to LT” stuff. I’d like to see him moved to the bench.

66. By Vikings4Life on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

The vikes have fewer penalties, play smart football no penalties and no turning the ball over they should be fine. Its nice to see the vikings not getting penalties on almost every play.

67. By Titus on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Old School— Please go back to school and learn to read. I said this team was great before this preseason win. The new schools don’t teach well. I understand.

68. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

sry I did not judge the team by one game I said they are improving theres a big difference. There was a positive difference from the first preseason game to the second and like has been posted harvin and schonice were out.

69. By Rocksalt on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

While I will not make unrealistic predictions for the season based upon 2 preseason games………I will say that it appears we have made some improvements.
    One area that concerns me is how bothe Titans and Seahags moved the ball on us, and had decent running games……

70. By Old School on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus….Oh.so your even more nuts than I thought!

You made those calls before they even played a Preseason game…..

OK

Enough said my friend

71. By Parody on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Rocksalt – Neither team was able to score against our first stringers, and that’s what we need to take away from the games. You can get 500 yards in a game, but if you don’t score nothing else matters.

72. By Titus on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

We are all a bit antsy for the season. One thing is certain– anything could happen. There is a lot of promise that we may not have had at the end of last season– we actually have a legitimate shot this season to go all the way – just like about 20 other teams. Our D will be dominant again. We have the best depth at QB we have had in a while– both our young QBs have a lot of promise. Yes, enough said. After we play the Chargers, Bucs, and Chiefs, we will have a real pulse on this team.

73. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I would be really surprised if AP runs for more than 1400 yeards or rush offense… just too many weapons on the offense to run all the time. If they want to put 8 men in the box we’ll pass all day. They spread it, then we can run with All Day

74. By steve on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

i’m excited about the season as all the other vikingh fans are, but just one thing to say i don’t know why you people have to disrespect the cowboys by calling them cowgirls just saying i get very annoyed when other fans call us bi-queens and the such.

75. By Carl Brodin on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I want to see Awasome,Raymond,Sherrels,Aromashdu,Inglesias. mske this team cut Allen,Berrian for non effective play. Unfortunitely Kleinsasser cap casualty. That will give us some salary cap room. In the Berrian instance we have Michael Jenkins and Percy Harvin give a couple of the up and coming young guys a chance. I like the WR rotation rounding out with starters Michael Jenkins& Percy Harvin then Devin Aromashodu,Juaquin Iglesias,Arceneaux Emmanuel also Andre Holmes on the practice squad. Heres how the CB should shake out. Winfield,Griffin,Sherrels,Cook,Burton & Torrence on the practice squad.

76. By OLD SCHOOL on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Your right Titus. The only thing that we can hope is to win those first 4 games….take the first one at Chargers…then come home for 3 and start the season with some great vibes and ride that!

I think that’s the only way!

77. By Rocksalt on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Parody-
    It does matter if the opponent have 13 minutes of possession in a quarter…….it says that we are unable to stop them from converting 3rd downs. It is also a long time to have defense out on field.THESE THINGS MATTER, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT……..

78. By Joe C on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@rocksalt

you make very good points – we need our d to get on the field 3 and out like other good teams – the more time the d stays on the field the more chance for injury and being worn out by the 4th quarter. bend don’t break does not work. that has been the way the Vikings play defense.

79. By Joe C on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus you need your head checked for sure. The Seattle Vikings are a bad team that got lucky and caught the saints on a bad day last year. The seahawks of last year had promise until they put Darrell Bevelle in charge of their offense. Now they will stink – T Jack will jump throw to the other team more than he did in Minnesota LOL