Vikings Offense, Defense Look Good Early In Win

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 20, 2011 – 10:26 pm

The defense took care of the 1st quarter and the offense handled much of the 2nd quarter as the Vikings built up a 13-0 lead through the first half of Saturday night’s preseason game against the Seahawks in Seattle and went on to win by a 20-7 score.

Seattle’s offense, featuring former Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson and WR Sidney Rice, was on the field for 13 minutes in the 1st quarter, yet they were unable to muster any points. It was the Vikings defense that scored a TD, in fact, as CB Marcus Sherels picked off a deflected pass from Jackson and returned it 64 yards for the score.

The 2nd quarter was a much different story and it was the Vikings offense that hogged the ball early. QB Donovan McNabb led the Vikings on an 81-yard drive in 13 plays that consumed over 7 minutes and began on their own goal line after an impressive stand by the second-team defense. McNabb hit new WR Michael Jenkins for 21 yards on the drive, but eventually the offense stalled and Ryan Longwell came on to kick a 36-yard FG.

McNabb was 6 of 8 for 81 yards with no TDs or INTs on the night (106.8 passer rating) and RB Adrian Peterson finished with 16 yards on 6 carries and 2 catches for 11 yards. Ponder, who came in after McNabb, was 6 of 12 for 63 yards with no TDs and no INTs.

Late in the fourth quarter and leading 13-7, rookie RB Tristan Davis made the most of his one carry on the night as he scampered 35 yards to ice the game for the Vikings, who moved to 1-1 on the preseason with the victory.

Next up for the Vikings are the Dallas Cowboys, who make their way to Mall of America Field on Saturday.

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “Vikings Offense, Defense Look Good Early In Win”

1. By Parody on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I still haven’t seen anything from Berrian. I’m pretty disappointed that he is being written up as a lock when he has yet to show up on the field.

It was nice to see Jenkins make a pretty grab today. Hopefully we get to see more from him, because I really believe that he has the skills to become the #1 wideout for our offense.

2. By Parody on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Webb is looking better today. That might just be because he is going against weaker players this week(2nd & 3rd stringers rather than 1st & 2nd), but he’s been continuing to look for receivers after the pocket breaks down rather than tucking the ball for the run right away like he did last week. I can’t wait to see how we decide to use Webb once the regular season begins.

3. By Arrow86 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Positives I saw in the second half were Booker’s running, Tony Carter special teams and corner play. Both Ponder and Webb have little to no time to stay in the pocket. Come on O-line move em’ out!

4. By chris on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

ponder looks horrible we should have picked up malett ponder is too much of a smart guy but hes not smart with his accuracy. malett is throwin up rediculous numbers, he might be the second tom brady. fire speilman the only good pick was ballard love and raymond.

5. By Lol on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Chris…you’re an idiot.

6. By Shawn on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@Everyone …. :) Refreshing and fun

Much better game tonight , Imagine if we can keep making that same amount of improvement every week :)

heres how Im going to grade it out …

QB- McNabb … had and amazing drive from the 1 yard line still failed to score but looked good … Clearly OUR starter

QBs-Webb/Ponder … OK Ponder looked so/so and Webb again made some nice plays with his legs

RB- no need to wonder they played like a team strength again and 4th string guy Tristan something ( :) )sealed the game with a great run

WR- Was Berrian injured? some inconsistancies here again but they also made nice plays … I dont think one guy stood out though

TE- Again a nice job without Shiancoe … Rudolph will be a stud for 12 years and Kleinsasser had a great catch and run ….. At this point they seem to be playing stronger than the WRs

OL- I dont know they played better A LOT better but still had some pressures and looked weak at times … AGAIN THEY PLAYED A LOT BETTER

DL- very good game by the DL and the defense overall AMAZING GOAL LINE STAND

LBs- team strength much like the RBs you can count on them

Heres the BIG NEWS …

CB- CED GRIFFEN !!!!!!!!!!! His first play back he breaks up a pas’s I would give the game ball to Griffen and Marcus Sherels who made 1 mistake on a punt return but made up for it by dominating at corner for the next 2 quarters and he had a pick 6 …

GOOD BYE ASHER ALLEN !!!!!

Safety- No news is better than the normal news I dont recall a single stand out play either good or bad so MUCH IMPROVED !!!

my overall grade for this game CC+

Its still preseason and the only reason its not grading higher is because the offense has some catching up to do

7. By Brian on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I am cautiously optimistic with this offense. I can definitely see the potential. And just to think that Percy Harvin and Shiancoe didn’t play. There are a lot of positives when you imagine all the starters being out there for 4 quarters

8. By rye on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Thought this game was much better than the first preseason game.

The starters on both sides of the ball looked pretty good. Really though the D line played well.

Also am excited by the young receivers. Especially Aromashodu. He had a really nice catch.

Think the vikes will do some good things this year and be better than the naysayers expect.

9. By ironvike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

GO VIKES!!!!!!!

10. By Frederick Jones on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Marcus Sherels for President !

11. By Shawn on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

correction McNabb got 3 points on that drive

12. By zulu1 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@chris

mallett’s last game: 9/14 71 yds 0 td’s 1 int qb rating of 47.0
    give ponder a chance – he really is not that bad.

13. By Shawn on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@chris … lol what? did you just say we got 3 good picks in one draft? THATS A PRETTY GOOD DRAFT

14. By Kyle on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

People like you crack me up. It’s been a shortened off season so no ota’s or mini camp. He’s a rookie qb with the 2nd team ol. That’s why we brought in donovan for. I think our draft class as a whole has been amazing. ballard, Rudolph and Raymond are sticking out, along with brandon Burton. Very excited about this draft class.

15. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder looked good. Webb is amazing with his legs but I want to see him throw some tough throws or else stop trying to make him a QB when he is not. I still hope the OL gets a lot better. D looked much improved and so did the O for the most part. Let’s keep making strides because we still have a long way to go!!

16. By Garrett on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike blocks like all of my comments because they aren’t positive about the team sometimes…I’m just being critical because I love the Vikes so much….Does he block your comments as well??

17. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

If we make the forward strides next week that we made this week we should be looking very good against Dallas!

18. By Kyle on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

All of our draft picks have great potential. D Love is looking good as a left tackle. Would like to see more of fusco. The only pick I haven’t liked is Stephen Burton. He looks horrible. No buzz has been around him during training camp at all. Ballard looks like a steal in the 4th round. Absolutely love Kyle Rudolph. He’s going to be a stud. What about that catch and run by kleinsausser? Run old man run!!

19. By Shawn on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@GARRETT … you have to learn the word combos and break them up lots of common words contain “bad” words … like footba’ll and pa’ss

20. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Early prediction for the division: 1st Packers (11-5), tied 2nd Vikings & Lions (9-7), Basement Bears (6-10).

21. By Brad on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if Seattle like T-Joke yet? LOL I am so glad the vikings got rid of him. The team in general looked better this time around. Keep up the work vikings, I like the direction you are going.

22. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, I’m pretty sure that Garrett was asking about the live streaming chat that was going on during the game. In it, Mike was posting updates throughout the game, and answering a few select questions.

All the comments that people made were reviewed and posted as per their relevance to what Mike wanted to talk about in his next update. As we all know Mike’s approach to his writing about the team, that meant that every post that was allowed from readers needed to lead into a positive direction.

I myself made many posts, mostly positive since the team was doing well throughout most of the game. I was pleasantly surprised to see that more of my posts were used than in previous attempts. However, a lot more of my posts were not used, simply because they did not fit what Mike wanted to talk about and/or Mike did not have time to acknowledge them with all the other posts that he was reviewing.

I’d love to be able to enter a live streaming chat room during the game where each post is not individually screened so that all the participants can engage with one another throughout the game. Vikings.com has yet to offer that opportunity for its visitors, but I hope that they will consider adding it in the near future.

23. By Shawn on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

o yea i tried that last week for about 10 minutes and realized Mike doesnt like me :) so I just blog here during the game

24. By Shawn on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody … Im sure Mike’s positive approach has something to do with his job, could you imagine me running this site? LOL forget spelling errors and no writing experiance for a minute and just imagine my blog after a viking loss … Im pretty sure Id be fired before I was hired :)

25. By ben sherels on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

yes I was smiling from ear to ear that was my son who ran that touchdown, i am so very proud of him, the vikes looked good tonight. step your game up. it was great to see the team come together. LOOKING GOOD,

26. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

No arguments from me on that one Shawn ;)

27. By Shawn on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody I have also noticed Mike has been more ( not sure the right word ) critical or unbiased maybe ? the last few weeks … he has pointed out some negatives that I dont think he wouldve 2 months ago

28. By chris on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

im not an idiot i a huge vikings fan i just think ponder is not proving hes a good qb. what i dont get is why is adrian petersons contract extended???? hes the best in the biz and he does great every year. keep in mind the vikes excel in the running game were not the pass happy team we were years ago. get rid of bomar, berrian, chris cook and asher allen. chris cook looks like hes in another world he didnt do anything for our team and made huge crucial mistakes. renewing his contract was a joke. booker is awesome though he looked great. if its time to rebuild, rebuild with the best players u can get. lets hope superbowl this year but i doubt it

29. By Parody on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Chris – You’re an idiot because you’re throwing in the towel on our #1 draft pick before he’s even been with the team for an entire month. It’s ignorant to expect players to be superstars the second they step onto the field. Even Tom Brady wasn’t good enough to see any starting action until the starters got injured in his second year in the league.

I bet when the doctor offered to let you cut your first child’s umbillical chord you responded “Let him cut it himself. It’s time he learned life isn’t one big party!”

30. By Shawn on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@ben sherels … its hard to know on this blog whats real, but if you are sherels dad congratulations and thank you for creating such a talent :)

31. By Jeffbleedspurple on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

He’s not Sherels dad, I am!! ooppss!! my mistake, wrong Sherel, anyways! I don’t think Ponder looked as good as he did last week, but that could be, because it was 3rd team on both sides of the ball last week. The only thing that I didn’t like was Ponder seemed very reluctant to toss that ball deep down field, it was hard to see if any of the WR’s were actually giving him down field targets to throw to.

32. By Rocksalt on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I liked the play of marcus sherels.

33. By Rocksalt on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I hope Adrian will begin to get on track.

34. By Conor on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

i really like marcus sherels and tony carter instead of chris cook and asher allen. marcus and tony have tight coverage and tony is the kind of ball hawk that we need in our secondary

35. By Nightdog on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Well Chris,
    You could learn how to spell. Idiots spells word wrong, use incorrect punctuation, and do not proofread their posts.

36. By Nightdog on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

LOL

37. By NDVike on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

The “old man” Kleinsasser (how come everyone can spell his name right yet make all kinds of grammar mistakes??) looks like he wants to play some football for his 13th? year. Check out the highlights – he is everywhere – even in the Jared Allen interview. I have always regarded him as the best blocking TD in the NFL. He hasn’t always been much of pass catcher, but whoa last nite he made a beautiful catch and run. If Sherels doesn’t make the team, he will be picked up by the Patriots and be the Danny Woodhead of their defense! This kid and Rudolph are future superstars in the NFL!

38. By ben sherels on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

39. By Rich on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I dont know why everyones complaining about Ponder. First of all its preseason, and second of all HE LOOKS FINE. Hes doing good. And im not sure if everyone forgot but Ponders not and MVP defending champ Pro Bowler, hes a rookie…so let him play and support your team instead of complaining. Go Vikings!

40. By CA Norwegian on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

The team is looking improved. I hope it is not because the KFC.hawks are stinky.

41. By Thai on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think people are complaining about ponder just critiquing him. If we compare him to mallet, locker, Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, or flacco, he is falling way short. If we look at him as Andy Dalton, Jimmy clausen, or leinert, he is looking like a work in progress. Which class of quarterback are we hoping he molds into? So I won’t sound mean and will support our number 12 pick….ponder is progressing nicely and should be similar to Jimmy clausen this time next year.

42. By Stoney on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Chris, I disagree with you, you are an idiot. Is Thai the other name you use to post?

43. By sandiamond on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

NFL will hold a weighted lottery Sunday to determine the order for Monday’s supplemental draft.

Rob Rang writes that unlike April’s draft, which is based solely on win-loss percentage, the supplemental draft places teams into three different categories. Writes Rang: “These groups are determined by the same won/loss percentage, but are thought to take into account the annual fluctuation of talent for clubs that occurs through the draft and free agency each off-season. Therefore, while the Carolina Panthers owned the first pick last year, Ron Rivera’s club will be competing with roughly a third of the league for the first pick of each round of the supplemental draft.”

And unlike the April draft where the teams make their selections based on what picks are still left on the board, teams turn in a list in which they inform the league which players they’d pick and which round they’d select him. If a team has the high bid on a player and ultimately drafts him, it will lose the corresponding pick in the April 2012 draft

44. By Meekay on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Unfortunately haven’t gotten to see the first 2 quarters of the game yet (FINGER @ NFLNETWORK!), but the second and third team o-lines still sucked. Overall a big improvement from last week, though.

45. By Nightdog on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

You guys should have an IQ test, that these posers and posters, would have to score a passing grade on, in order to be posted. The test will consist of an object drawn on a napkin.
    All you have to choose is, “square”, or “circle”

That way, we would have to dis-allow almost all Cheesebillys from posting here! Use the idea if you wish… I don’t care.

46. By 61vikings on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey, BleedingPurpleinAlaska!! That should be Vikings-11-5 Packers 10-6 Bears 8-8 Lions 7-9!! Not sold on the Lions!! They always bring up the rear!! If your bleeding purple you should pick your team first!! Go VIKES!!

47. By Joe C on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Ben Sherels

Marcus played outstanding on Saturday. I have been knocking the Vikings secondary for years. I love what i saw out of Marcus!!!! Ben, Tell Marcus THANK YOU FOR GIVING US SOME HOPE – Leslie Frazier – please start this kid and let him loose – he seems to be in all the rght places

48. By Joe C on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Mike W

I believe you are giving Chris Cook way too much credit for the minor impovement in his play on Saturday. The only reason Chris Cook looked better is because we were playing the Seattle Vikings!!!! T-jack was horrible as always and Darrell B’s offense is as sad as ever. Chris Cook needs to watch the film of Saturday so he can see a real player (Marcus Sherels) play his position!!!!

49. By Joe C on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@61vikings

Are you sniffing glue? Which 11 wins are the Vikings going to get ? I am a diehard bleeding purple fan but I am also in my right mind. We will be lucky to see 7 wins this year. I will predict the first game for you SD 42 MINN 10

We have the toughest schedule we’ve seen in 10 years. Maybe next year will we win 11 when Ponder is starting and the secondary gets better