Ponder Poised To Show Improvement Saturday Night

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 18, 2011 – 3:22 pm

First-round pick Christian Ponder was the third QB to enter the game for the Vikings last week in the team’s preseason opener. But on Saturday night in Seattle, Ponder will be #2 in the rotation.

Against the Titans last Saturday, Ponder entered the contest midway through the 3rd quarter and finished the game. He was 8 of 13 for 84 yards with no TDs and no INTs. A pretty good showing for your first NFL action. One area to clean up, though, is avoiding pressure. Ponder was sacked three times in Tennessee.

“There were some times when I could get the ball out faster or try to get out of the pocket a little faster,” Ponder said. “Ultimately it’s on me to get it done. I’ve got to react to what’s going on and be a quarterback and make decisions.”

That response came to a question that intimated his pass protection was such that there wasn’t much he could do to avoid being sacked. But, as a leader and QB should do, Ponder didn’t deflect blame anywhere else. He shouldered responsibility for the mistakes and vowed to improve.

“I’m letting pressure get to me. Just got to get the ball out and make decisions faster. But overall I thought it was okay,” Ponder said of his debut performance.

There’s no doubt Ponder has displayed improvement since last weekend’s preseason opener. He’s been crisp during four practices this week and has also performed well during blitz drills and situations where he’s asked to make audibles and/or checks at the line of scrimmage.

There’s also no doubt that at least a part of Ponder’s improvement during this past week can be attributed to the presence of veteran Donovan McNabb. The benefit of having McNabb around is two-fold; it gives the Vikings a chance to compete right now and it provides Ponder and second-year passer Joe Webb with an experienced veteran from which to learn. To date, the second part of that plan is unfolding.

“I think right now I’m getting better,” Ponder explained. “The good thing is I’m learning from him (McNabb), which is big for me…We’ve talked a lot about reads. We’ve watched film together. If I make a mistake, he’s right there in my ear helping me out.”

Ponder also explained that the learning curve is about what he expected for his rookie season and that things are beginning to slow down a touch for him. There’s a long way to go in Ponder’s development and he knows that. At this point, though, the Vikings should be pleased with how Ponder is working in practice.

“My number one goal is to do better than I did last week,” Ponder said. “I’m comfortable after going through last week and getting that experience under my belt and I think it’s going to be fun. I’m going to enjoy it. But I’ve got to learn from my mistakes last week and get better and make some more plays.”

Tags: ,

202 Responses to “Ponder Poised To Show Improvement Saturday Night”

1. By Bnels on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

It is nice to hear that Ponder is doing well. I hope the best for him because I rooted for him to be picked by the Vikings since February. He was my favorite QB in this class. Can’t wait to see him play on Saturday Night!

2. By Karl on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

We’ll see if he gets an extra second to think this week with the #2 O-line. If he can perform well with that extra second, then we may have something. Everything he’s said so far when being interviewed shows great maturity, so you’ve got to like that.

3. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I am concerned with a personel director that will not even call the Number 1 wide receiver on this team. They didn’t even try to out bid the Seahawks. I think we should focus some questions at Rick Spielman. I think he has some questions that need to be answered and soon.

4. By Kurt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

So far, I like what I’ve seen of Ponder. The thing that has impressed me most is, quite simply, his attitude. He’s not afraid to accept criticism and appears to place team and game above self. Very refreshing and professional.

5. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike B-
    Where did you hear this?

6. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall-
    Why is Brad Childress’s name still on this website?

7. By Rye on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder will be a good QB. He looked good even though the offensive line he was playing with stunk it up.

I am looking forward to seeing him when there is actually some blocking.

8. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

vikingsdaily.com also heard on the radio Can’t believe they didn’t even compete for Rice.

9. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Its preseason he doesnt need to do well … because doing well would lead to winning and thats not what preseason is about.

In fact nobody should worry about doing well … ITS PRESEASON … just stay healthy

Ponder should just stay on the sidelines until he is the starter for a regular season game… JUST TO AVOID INJURY

10. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Doing well and playing good leads to WINNING

THIS IS PRESEASON !!!!!! ITS NOT ABOUT WINNING !!!!!

11. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

If preseason is just about staying healthy … lets not play the games at all

we could just call KC and GB and Chicago meet them 1/2 way for a scrimmage … save some travel funds and BUY A CORNER OR SAFETY

12. By brockjn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike B
    I agree with you on the personell director not saying who the number 1 WR is. But I also believe that it could be obvious also, because I think in my opinion that Harvin is the number 1 and after that its all not so good! I would like to see Berrian gone, and Jaymar take his place. Couldnt be any worse then Berrian right? And it would save us some money, which could be use on players that care about our team such as Peterson and Greenway. I think our recievers should be Harvin, Jenkins (because he is the big guy out of them all), Jaymar, Camarillo, and Aromashadu. Especially when we run two tight end sets a lot I dont see the need for 6 WR. Tell me what you guys think!

13. By Carl K on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike B – I saw the Rice story on thevikingage.com… I had been outspoken in my support to resign Rice, so this story catches me off guard too. I understand Rice’s value is debatable, but I don’t understand why nobody from the Vikings tried to call Rice and at the least try to talk him into accepting what ever the best Vikings offer was.

As it turns out the Vikings did not have the cap room to trade for McNabb and keep Rice too. Even without McNabb, the Viking still wouldn’t have had the cap room to outbid the Seahawks.

14. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@brockjn,

Jaymar Johnson may be a fantastic player. He is not a proven NFL player yet, he has to do it in a real game.

Quite a few players have looked good in the pre-season games only to be cut.

Bernard Berrian at just 30 years of age, only has to get back his old form of 2 years ago. He was regarded as one of the best receivers in the NFL a few years ago when he was with the Bears.

He’s had some injuries, a hamstring pull in particular. Anyone who has had a hamstring pull knows how hard it is to get back your form. It’s very easy to tweak it again.

15. By VeGAsVIkE on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

It’s obvious Sid didn’t want to stay in purple so why court the guy? I agree with Karl concerning Ponder playing with the #2 O line, CP looked good last week with no protection. He can only get better…. SKOL!

16. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K,

You or someone else talked about the Vikings being at their Salary Cap level.

That may explain why we didn’t pick up some of the people we need at various positions.

Barring a trade, we have to get happy with the people on our roster right now.

Thanks for the info.

17. By Nicholas on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I was really impressed with the film that I watched of Ponder in the Tennessee preseason game.

There was pressure in his face most of the time, and he responded quite well with good decision making. His awareness is great!

He also had a lot of creativity in deciding to pitch the ball forward on a play where the offensive line had collapsed on him.

Overall really good performance IMO : )

18. By Nicholas on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

He’s a lot more quick/athletic than what I had once thought, too.

19. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the good work, Shawn!

20. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

BTW Fred- 30 is getting long in the tooth for a WR, especially one who has not yet lived up to he potential.a friend of mine who is a Bears fan was not sad to see Berrian leave Chicago……

21. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Restructuring Greenway’s or AP’s contract to a long term deal would open cap room for Rice and McNabb. They could have released Berrian to keep Rice also which in my opinion is a step up. It’s spilt milk now, but I still think these are quesitons Spielman should be answering. I am not at the Fire Spielman stage but I do think he has some explaination on this issue. I think others would agree also.

22. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

From MPLS STAR TRIBUNE
    Poll: Rate the Vikings exhibition opener
    Results# of votes % of votes
    Too many problems 1065 19%
    Weak, but it’s still early 3110 56%
    About average 775 14%
    Pretty good first effort 211 3%
    Showed lots of potential and promise 330 6%
    Total Votes 5475

23. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Mike B……..why not try and keep Sid and jettison Berrian? Perhaps nobody would want Berrian…….certainly not for the price we paid……

24. By brockjn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Frederrick Jones,
    I think Berrian should be gone because as far as I know he has not needed surgery in any offseason. He has a bad attitude and pouts when he doesnt get the ball! I believe he is a wimp who wont go over the middle with out alligator arming it when he has to do it. He is definitely not worth the money that is given to him and I would like to see him gone also on the fact that Ponder gave everybody playbooks for the ones who asked for it….. Berrian comes out two days before camp and says he cant wait to get the playbook and get to work?? What is that, your attitude sucks Berrian and your nothing but a 1 route running reciever and thats a go route. And to top it off he doesnt even fight for the ball when its in the air! Absolutely rediculous! Get somebody new who actually is hungry on this team! Get rid of the McKinneys please!

25. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt,

Thank you for that Mpls Tribune poll. It makes for interesting reading.

I like Mike Wobschall’s point that the Lions won ALL of their pre-season games the year they went winless in the regular season.

The Vikings had a lot of injuries last year. A big key to doing well this year is to avoid injury as much as possible.

Green Bay had a ton of injuries, but they were healthy at the end of the season when they most needed to be ready.

26. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

In 1990, the Buffalo Bills lost all their preseason games, but went on to be 13-3, blowing everyone out— in the AFC championship game, they beat the Raiders, 51-3. Yes, 51-3. They lost a very close battle with the Giants in the Superbowl.

27. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

OK for the last time on this(hopefully)
    It is not the W/L issue that some of us are concerned about…….
    Concern: Hasselbeck went down the field at will.
    Concern: Their RB for the first series gained @7 yds per carry.
    Concern: Our offense seemd to stall at key points
    Concern: Our DB’s looked lost.
    Concern: The Titans played with more intensity and purpose the whole game

28. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Just flicking back and forth from the New England-Tampa Bay, Steeler-Eagles and Yankee-Twins games.. The Twins tribute to Jim Thome was fantastic,and well deserved.

29. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Brockjn,

Your observations are mostly correct, but I feel that if Berrian had been healthy it would have been a different story.

Some people say that once you have pulled a hamstring muscle, you will alway be prone to re-injury in that area. It’s possible that Berrian won’t be very helpful to us this year. He did say that he didn’t do anything different in the off-season. Hopefully he didn’t really mean that as fact.

HOPEFULLY he’s doing some different things now like lifting, icing, and stretching those hammys.

30. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Yes but the NovaScotiaVike tribute was not good.

31. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Amen Rocksalt It’s an observation of the teams performance even Frazier said that he was not happy with the play. You don’t go into any game thinking you will lose a game. Is the game important no, but there are key areas that Rocksalt points out that all should be watchful on . Now add on that they didn’t try and get Rice makes me concerned what is going on in the personel department. NO moves to open the cap more. Willingness to stay with questionable players. Points to ponder.

32. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred…….Did I miss something???

33. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Rock,

I saw your post before about that, and agree with all points except two.

It’s a little like religion, you can’t really prove it as scientific fact very often but:

Hasselbeck did not go down the field at will (any more than P e t e r walked across the water.

The Titans did not seem to play with more purpose than the Vikings. How would you know they did???

34. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Halleluiah Mike B!

35. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey everyone!

36. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Fred-
    I saw it with me own eyes!

37. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Fred =we will just have to disagree on those two points…..

38. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Fred Locker was having his way with the defense. He looked very good. Titans played better than the Vikings did outcome a game win.

39. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Nova,

Oh, perhaps their was no NovaScotiaVike awards ceremony. There sure are a lot of Nova Scotia license plates on my classic cars!

40. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@the Rock Man,

Okay, and you probably exaggerated!

41. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I guess you just have to be a believer, Fred…….

42. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I don;t think so, Fred

43. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

True fans see the truth , Fred

44. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Rocky and Fred and Nova!

45. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Is there air?

Okay, prove it ! ! !

46. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show

47. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

inhale……exhale..now there, Fred I just breathed

48. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

proof is in the pudding, Fred

49. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey everyone I just want you guys to know that I finally get it …

This is only preseason and its not about winning …. the world is so much prettier now. O isnt it amazing !!! We dont need to win … the pressure is gone

50. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

There IS AIR Fred, because I’ve got two lobsters about to go into the pot who are sick of it!

51. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

welcome back, Titus

52. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Nova strikes again ….lol

53. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus in the Hawse

54. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Shawn and I now see the light.

55. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I know you enjoy good food, what does a lobster dinner go for in Minny?

56. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Do you see the light, Fred?

57. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B … its preseason, we dont want to play good because that might lead to winning and THATS NOT WHAT PRESEASON IS ABOUT !!!

Just let it go man … it feels good.

58. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Yes, and that’s why I better get out their and play some tennis.

I’ll read the blog later…be nice!!!

59. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

That;s funny, Fred, I ,too play tennis

60. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I fell much better now that I see the truth.

61. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I now am bolstered by blind faith. I shall walk out into traffic with no worries or cares….I feel good.

62. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I feel so much better for not winning all of those publisher’s clearing house sweepstakes

63. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

PRAISE THOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

64. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Fred- remember to play tennis not to win……

65. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

By Odin’s beard, I vow to no longer be burdened by the idea of winning

66. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Rock, you sound like a Lions fan.

67. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

lmao about the lions comment

68. By Mike B. on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Brown Paper bag oops Fords Stadium

69. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Nova-
    Shawn and I have had a conversion. We see the error of wishing to win, do well, play good, etc Most important in our newfound philosophy, is the unbelievably light sense of being whern we have no concerns……..someday we think you too, will see the light

70. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike B…….unfortunately, we might have to start “respecting” them.

71. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

What is all the fuss about ? Shawn and I drank some purple kool aid and we feel fine, right Shawn?

72. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Rock, hang on, I have to call my Scientologist advisor.

73. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Do you see the unicorn, Nova? Mike B? How about the rainbow?

74. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

haha good one, Nova!

75. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I am wiped out , I was chasing the rainbow …

Rock we did it !!!!

76. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

maybe Shawn drank too much,,,,,,,,,

77. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

All is well, all is good…….except for those lobster, they’re boiling now.

78. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

What did we do Shawn?

79. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Man, Nova, there is no comparison in price. I have been in your fine province. Even in Boston, a seafood is significantly cheaper than here. At a restaurant a lobster tail is probably in the 30-40 range and beyond– not something I order out- I want to get filled up for less.

80. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

are they rock lobster, Nova?

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

They’re going to a better life, washed down by some Wild Turkey!

82. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I am having salmon now.

83. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

much better bargain

84. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Has anyone noticed how blue the sky is ? and such pure white fluffy clouds floating above me … Im so glad I get it now.

85. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

mmmm wild turkey…..80 or 101 proof?

86. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Rock … we found the truth, we discovered the secret to preseason

and its not all about playing well …. its about other things like getting into your uniform and buckling the chin strap without any injuries

ITS NOT ABOUT WINNING !!!!!

87. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

These are the 2-clawed (Americans call them Maine lobster), completely different from “rock lobster”, which are from the Caribbean and warmer waters, which have no claws. These are the best lobsters in the world. Titus, right now they are about $6 per pound. 2 nice sized ones are about $18, but what a feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

yes yes! and wearing the right shoes, and making sure the laces are evenly tied, and the smell of fresh cut grass, and the pretty purple colors……

89. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Rock……80, because the 101 goes down just as smooth, and tomorrow’s a workday.

90. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Nova, sounds delicious. You could ship them to me and I could make us a profit.

91. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

gotcha, Nova! always had a hankerin fer the 101……..

92. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Shawn and I have discovered the wonderful benefits from pilates.

93. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

pilates has no winners or losers….Yay!

94. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus, ten years ago I used to ship Chr1stmas trees and lobster to the Caribbean. Both are hard to keep fresh.

95. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Wow, Nove Chr1stmas trees decorated with lobsters…….how provincial!

96. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Rock, lobsters (and money), doesn’t grow in trees.

97. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

But if you drink enough 101…….

98. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

The lobsters were escorting the trees…

99. By Brad Childress on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

To those of you wondering why my name is still in the website, it is because I still call the shots for this team, It was in my contract.

100. By Brad Childress on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

heck of a game Philly vs Pitt

101. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

C’mon Brad……

102. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Along with Favre’s Sage’s and Moss’s?????????

103. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall-
    Why are these names still on our website? Can’t someone PUULEEASE take them off?

104. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Sidney Rice and Chester Taylor are on there too.

105. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Yes , IS THERE NO IT PERSON? C’MON, MAN………

106. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Rock, they are too busy designing the “rainbows and unicorns” design.

107. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Taylor left after the 09 season.

108. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

HaHa that’s funny, Nova!

109. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

That’ right, Titus…somebody is not doing their job…….

110. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I hwve to leave you guys now. The lobsters are ready, the garlic bread is ready, and you know I am. Goodnight, remember…….we all love the Vikes.

111. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

yes, we do,and we all love unicorns and rainbows…….good night
    Nova and Titus

112. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

good night everyone– going to enjoy my salmon with a perrier

113. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Aw…I missed all the fun!

114. By Arrow86 on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Man: Some of you guys need to get a clue. We have a new offense for every player to learn over 9 or 10 practices. We have other new coaches and schemes on defense. We have new players. The coaches know going into the season 30 guys who are a lock to make the team. They have to evaluate about 60 guys for 23 spots. Give them some time. We know about the Vikes cap room. There is no room. Look for improvement in Seattle. And no, we’re not playing to lose.

115. By VeGAsVIkE on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Girls girls girls!

116. By Arrow86 on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Welcome Vegas!

117. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Arrow86 … even though I see the light now allow me to ask you a question

Is it too much to expect our back ups play better than their back ups? You are trying to suggest the Titans played their starters the whole game and beat our 2nd / 3rd string players 14-3

Rock , myself and others are suggesting that the players we put on the field did not play well … why is that so hard to grasp?

Its not like EJ and Greenway were chasing Chris Johnson around the field … can you even remember the guys name that averaged 7 yards per carry with EJ and Greenway on the field?

Asher Allen and Chris Cook were not covering the Titans #1 WR our back ups played their back ups poorly ….

All we are saying is we played poorly, had we lost 14-10 who knows maybe it leaves a better taste but we didnt we scored 3 points on the Titans back ups

Can you see the rainbow?

118. By Shawn on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

BTW Arrow all the excuses you allow our team to fail with also apply to the Titans

Titans and Vikings …

have new coaches
    had no offseason

119. By VeGAsVIkE on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Did someone say lobster?

120. By sean on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Yeah very smart to pay a player with serious injury issues and only one good season.

121. By Titus on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, nice to have you try to cut our argument about the purpose of preseason into black and white; but your perspective does not allow for variables in reasoning– are you not the one who dislikes absolutes? Seems like you denegate our thoughts to simplified postulates.

The point of preseason is to evaluate and train the players, and this is doubly, especially magnified because of the lockout. Players should always strive for excellence, but considering the purpose is not to win, the strategy of constant and continual rotation of personnel lends itself to what may appear to be below par performance. However, it is in our best interest to use preseason for clearly defined goals to build a solid roster that will play to optimal levels when it counts– the regular season, when the goal is to win.

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

122. By Arrow86 on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn:

Well said, and yes, our backups need to get better in a hurry. I look at it as not a very well played game by either team. Tennessee made 2 more plays than the Vikes.

I saw the second half when the score was already 14-3. I saw Jaymar’s punt return. I was impressed with Riesner and Rudolph. I’m concerned as well about our O-line giving any quarterback adequate time to find a receiver. Tonight the Eagles who spent megabucks to pick up a few players are getting pummeled by the Steelers. I don’t think they’ll give up on the season, they’ll address where they need to improve and cut players who can’t perform. Who knows, the Eagles may win enough games to get to the Super Bowl anyway.

123. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

If all else fails, atleast we got Ponder who I think is going to finally be a franchise quarterback here. I predict a 9-7 season and third in the division above the bears.

124. By nattybuno on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I tottally agree with you BROCKJN

125. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Brother Titus, Brother Shawn has made a very good point.

No I do not remember the name of the dude who ran for so many yards against the Vikings.

Perhap Brother Frederick could share his own point with brothers Titus and Shawn.

If Frazier had wanted to, he could have had Longwell kick the two short field goals, and it’s likely that we could have gotten close enough to kick two more. Hence a 15-14 Vikings victory.

The empasis in the pre-season is to see who will help our team WIN games.
    It’s all about winning. We always want to win. But if the game does not count, then what the heck ! ! !

126. By Boo on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is the answer. Superbowl!

127. By Frederick Jones on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Consider this my brethren,

There is a 10% increase in domestic violence after the favored home team loses a NFL game. This is according to Quarterly Journal of Economics as reported by SI magazine March 28, 2011.

128. By martin on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

this team will not go anywhere if the ol and dl play like last year…no qb protection, poor at opening holes in the running game, hardly any pressure on the opposition qb….after the 2009-2010 season this team looked poised to make another run at the sb with some tweaks here and there but spielman and his staff completely mismanaged the team in their player decisions…

129. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Fred, how can we help to bring that % up?

130. By martin on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

making jokes about domestic violence is just plain pathetic…

131. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Martin, check out my comments on here for the last couple of years. I’m not exactly “P.C.”. Deal with it.

132. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

In the meantime, see if you can get a backhoe to pull the needle out of your a$$

133. By Geiber on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

wo wo wo why is everyone complementing ponder, should’nt all you still be criticizing him and saying how it was a wasted pick and that he is terrible and is injury prone?

134. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

A sense of humor is a terrible thing to never have.

135. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Martin, not using any form of punctuation or sentence structure is “just plain pathetic”, also.You might try the “caps” button and the one that looks like a dot

136. By CA Norwegian on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I think the ol’ names are there for search engine hits. The website is also about history.

137. By CA Norwegian on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I am thinking Ponder is not what Goober thinks. He is the one who should be playing this year with ;some all pro Oline brought in during the FA madness.

138. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

CA Norwegian, thanks for correcting me last night about waking up to the “girlfriend”after my bachelor party.. I should have said “fiancee”, but everything’s good, we can all call her “ex-wife” now.

139. By CA Norwegian on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

You snooze, you loose… Someone forgot to wake up the dream team.

140. By CA Norwegian on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you Nova. What is a Scotia?

141. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Nova Scotia……Latin for “New Scotland”.

142. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

The original Vikings first landed in this area, Newfoundland to be exact, long before Columbus was born.

143. By Shawn on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Fred Jones … LOL thanx brother

@Titus … Im guessing we are both on the same side of the fence looking at the ” the game ” from differant angles

@Arrow86 … probably should have started with a hey how ya been? :)

144. By fmfan on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

The Hawks are going to play thier starters for the first half so we will get to see what Ponder can do against starters rather than 3rd stringers.

145. By Shawn on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow yea we had some guys making plays ..

Erin Henderson played very well
    Lorenzo Booker
    Jaymar
    Ponder looked promising
    McNabb did a good job

so definately things to build on and be positive about … but on the other hand the same weakness we had last year showed up again and i think thats why some were frusterated

Basically I am starting a dog house and my first 2 nominees are what I see as our biggest weakness

1- Asher Allen, I dont see it and I dont get it … coming into his 3rd year and a guy who has been a starter for us, WHERES THE IMPROVEMENT?

2- John Sullivan, OL is hard to evaluate as a fan but I can see our OL is week and Sullivan coming into his 4th season has never stood out much like Asher wheres the improvement?

Two names I wont put in the doghouse yet because they deserve a chance to settle in but Im watching closely

1-Chris Cook
    2-Charlie Johnson

Again I believe these guys have a good opportunity but they need to man up and git r done

146. By Shawn on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I think we could cut Asher Allen and John Sullivan and not feel any effect …

In fact we might improve …

147. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Eagles got smashed– Like I said before, watch the Cowboys to win the NFC East.

148. By Parody on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – Good points, but who do we have to replace those two? Granted, it won’t be hard to replace Allen if his skills have remained stagnantly unimproved, but I haven’t heard of anyone on the depth chart yet who is outperforming him.

For Sullivan, it looks like there are one or two people on the team who have a good chance to replace him eventually, but is any one of them ready yet? A lot of what is required of the center is leadership and intelligence so that he can recognize different blitzing schemes and communicate to the rest of the line. As disappointing as it may sound, I think we may need to wait a year before anyone on the team is ready to take over his role.

149. By Itsnowornever on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Lets score we got rid of bevell for a reason, we are too conservative, lets put some points on the board so the defense doesn’t have to bail us out each and every time.

150. By Itsnowornever on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Nobody is outperforming asher? I think kluwe can outperform that guy.

151. By Itsnowornever on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Cut asher let sherals take his spot or carter perhaps even burton.

152. By Itsnowornever on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Cut asher and chris cook both have shown nothing but get burned constantly what do they see in asher he’s a plague to this secondary.

153. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I just saw the word snow four times in a row– Is summer over?

154. By Itsnowornever on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Yeah will be son enjoy it while it last.

155. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn,

After listening to Frazier’s last presser, I’ve come to the conclusion that he is determined to see the new people play in the pre-season games, more than having a concern with winning.

He does not expect that we’ll have the top five picked out for the offensive line positions even by the third game!

I would like to see the Vikings ROTATE the offensive linemen ALL SEASON like the 49ers did in their glory years. It would cut down on injuries, we’d have people ready to step in, and they would be able to perform much better.

156. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

Yes Sullivan appears to be the best center on the Vikings. I am not basing this on what I have seen this year, because I have not seen him play at all.

Apparently he was good in 2009. I remember thinking that we didn’t miss Birk as much as we thought we would. Last season, like Berrian and many others, HE PLAYED HURT A LOT.

Yes, he did get knocked backwards at times, but that happens even to healthy linemen in pass blocking. You can make a good block, if you fall the right way.
    ….lol x 10

157. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Where is the Monday morning mailbag?

158. By Shawn on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … IMO Ryan Cook could at minimum produce what Sullivan produces plus RCook is bigger than Sullivan

Something I dont understand is Ryan Cook played Center in college Chilly puts him at RT where he was an NFL starter ( yes he had penalty issues )

He stepped in for Sullivan last year at Center and played solidly …. why wont we give him a chance to play the position he was raised to play?

and as far as Asher Allen IMO if his role will be a CB4 or Dime back … why not just let one of the new guys start, could Burton really do any worse?

159. By Ekolu on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Regarding Sidney Rice. He’s had 1 outstanding season, but his other seasons have been marred by injury and mediocrity. Does he possess elite pass catching skills? Yes. he does. With flashes of brilliance, he has shown enormous potential. But we’ve heard the rumblings of how perturbed the staff was with the failure to disclose his hip injury. Did the Vikings make a vaunted effort to retain him? It doesn’t matter now. We need someone we can depend on, and someone who knows this offense and can help the other WR’s adjust, And we got just the man for that. Michael Jenkins. He has been solid in his career, he is a hard working professional with good top end speed and excellent size. We don’t need a #1 receiver, we need a good chemistry of receivers. We’ve got Percy Harvin who is on course for 80+ receptions, 1000+ yards receiving, 300+ yard rushing and 10 td’s. We’ve got speed with Bernard Berrian Jaymar Johnson and Devin Aromashadu. Greg Camarillo provides a reliable possession receiver with great hands and smarts. And we
    have some young guys with a ton of potential who could challenge for that 5th WR spot left on the roster. I expect the Vikes to put at least a couple of those guys on the practice team.

160. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Will there be a blog for the game?

161. By vegasvike on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

10-4 Ekolu concerning Rice, it does not matter now unless you have a DeLorean lol. It’s time to go forward with who we have. Besides, Fitz is coming home next year!

162. By CA Norwegian on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Bring on the KFS-hawks. See those guys find Tjack. See some octane on Offense.

163. By CA Norwegian on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

oops – I meant KFC-hawks.

164. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I am getting hungry.

165. By Bornagain1 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

It will be nice to see improvement in all areas of the team this week. Especially Ponder and Webb. I am concerned with our O-line and db’s. The fact that no-one is standing out concerns me. The starting O-line should get as many reps as possible. The center should be the established leader and the others should be working together as much as they can. Yet we are still trying to put the pieces together. I think we are putting too much hope in Griffen and Cook. Cook looked terrible last week. I certainly hope that McNabb doesn’t get hurt, although I think Joe Webb could fill in admirably. Ponder is not even close to playing consistantly but I DO believe that he will be VERY GOOD some day. I liken him to Montana (somewhat) as he is extremely intelligent, focused and athletic. Some day…….Go Vikes!

166. By purplerainman on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I feel a little edgy watching this team in the preseason. Granted I know a lot of what we saw last week was the second and third team. However, guys like Asher Allen and Chris Cook are first team guys. Cook got beat after biting on what he thought was a fumble at the line. With the way Jake Locker (of all people) tore up our secondary, I believe there is a real cause for concern here. I really hope Leslie can look into our corner and safety situation a little deeper. Last year we had no pass rush and the result was an embarrassed secondary game after game. The NFC North will be no laughing matter this year and these guys won’t stand a chance against marksman like Rogers, Stafford and Cutler unless something gets corrected.

167. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Bornagain1,

Joe Webb’s running ability is surprising. I forgot how easilly he ran against NFL defenses last year. Check out Joe’s run against the SF 49ers on You Tube.com, he looked like a man running against boys.

I don’t like the dance at the end though. Just hand the ball to the officials like former hall of famer Barry Sanders used to do.

Joe reminds me of Joe Kapp, Joe Montana, and Joe Willie Namath. This tough guy is capable of leading the Vikings to the World Championship !

Through the years we may see Webb and Ponder trading the starting job back and forth. Ultimately that will be good for both of them.

168. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is going to be the best franchise QB we’ve had since Tarkenton– and he even reminds me a little of him– when he scrambles.

169. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I know you and I are going to be in disagreement over who is the better QB between Ponder and Webb. As a Vikings fan, I root for both of them, as I am sure you do as well.

I do have to say that when Ponder scrambles he’s no Webb, that’s for sure.

170. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb and C. Ponder are not like Montana and Young yet.

But the potential is there.

Montana was actually highly rated for his movement behind the line of
    scrimmage. Young was almost as good a runner as Joe Webb.

171. By Arrow86 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick

I think the Vikes have prepared themselves well at the QB position. They need a mobile quarterback until the line shores things up. I think the game has changed where a pocket passer like a Carson Palmer will continue to have difficulty. Not a great deal of mobility since the knee problem.

Jimmy Johnson said he hates the new kickoff rule. He also said veteran teams need to play their veterans more to get them in rhythm for the season.

I was watching footage tonight from the Detroit/ Cleveland game. Ian Johnson (former Vike) is tering it up for the Lions tonight.

172. By Justin F on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I think Webb will still look uncomfortable out there, Ponder will have a semi-successful night, and McNabb will probably have a short but ok night. Honestly, if we can just make the Seahawks work for their points, it should be a decent game for us.

173. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow86,

I don’t even remember Ian Johnson. Did the Vikings let him carry the football much in the 2009 pre-season?

I hated Jimmy Johnson when he coached the Cowboys. I like him as a broadcaster because he is hilarious!

He has a good point about veterans playing more, but I believe there are many more injuries now, then when J. Johnson coached.

One of the biggest keys to any NFL team winning consistently is to avoid injury.
    MMan we had a lot last year !

174. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

@Justin F,

I just heard on TV that McNabb will play the first quarter and part of the second.

We should win this one even though it is in Seattle.

175. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Vikings 20, Seahawks 17

176. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

The metrodome’s new turf will be very spongy. All players will be slower.

I would think that would mean less injuries, and the turf will flatten as the season goes on.

177. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of QBs, McMahon is suing the NFL– says he walks in a room sometimes and knows not why– from all the concussions. Apparently, he is one of 6, in the lawsuit.

178. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

The turf is supposedly close to trampoline texture– should be interesting when there are fumbles.

179. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

The Lions really are the biggest concern in our division. While we should win all our home games, unless we have more than 12 inches of snow at the same time, the away games, especially in Chicago and Detroit will be difficult.

180. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Eagles are not going to the Superbowl.

181. By Frederick Jones on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

If the teams we are playing this year have similar records this year, then our schedule is an easy one.

That often does not happen though.

182. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Cowboys are going to very good this year. Watch out.

183. By Titus on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

So, Randy Moss is retired.

184. By sandiamond on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Vikings game is on tv saturday for out of market fans!!

Minnesota at Seattle, joined in progress, NFL Network, 11est

185. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Thanks, sandiamond. I really lucked out on this one, we get our cable from Seattle, so I won’t have to wait for the NFL Network’s JIP. I have to suffer through the Seahawk’s announcers, however. Better than having to pay for this one, though.

186. By sandiamond on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Nova this game has a very late start time, 10′oclock on the east coast It may be the latest start time in nfl history! going to pass on this one and hope the replay on sunday or monday will be worthwhile unlike last week

187. By lilmomo808 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Rice is all hype i can think of a few guys that can play as well as him glad him and his hair are gone hope he trips and twists his hip!

188. By lilmomo808 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Vikings 28 seahawks 17

189. By Titus on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Nova is beyond east coast time– he is in the Atlantic zone– so the game starts at 11pm.

190. By Titus on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I need to come out and visit Cape Breton Island again.

191. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

You’re right Titus……11pm…….Good thing tomorrow’s Sunday!

192. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Cape Breton is GORGEOUS this time of year…….even better in the fall.

193. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

As far as the late start is concerned, Sonja has indicated that she would be willing to stay up and watch the game with me, provided that the necessary prime rib bones are available……her loyalty can be bought.

194. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

She indicated this by drooling on the carpet.

195. By AmishViking on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

It is critical tonight that the OL show something. The sucess of the season remains with them. AP has never looked as good as he did his rookie year behind a very good OL. AP is a much better runner and player. He does not get enough praise for improving his fumbling. We look really good at QB. Secondary needs to step it up. IF we can imbrove both of those we go 10-6.

196. By Titus on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha– Nova you are funny. I have a great friend who use to be on Cape Breton– she is now in Ottawa– I need to go visit.

197. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Come visit anytime, Titus.

198. By Titus on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

As long as Sonja does not eat me.

199. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Give her a biscuit when you meet her, she’ll defend you to the death after that!

200. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Give her a prime rib bone and you might be able to get her to eat me!

201. By Titus on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

So I am safe if I have a box of milkbones?

2. Sep 9, 2011: Irene Starts Rolling In | Dating