Punt Return Job Looks Wide Open; Practice Notes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 16, 2011 – 4:11 pm

In this week’s Monday Morning Mailbag, I made the case for Lorenzo Booker to take care of kickoff return duties for the Vikings this season. The punt return job, however, is not quite as simple to delegate at this point.

Before Tuesday afternoon’s practice officially began, I watched 8 Vikings take turns fielding punts. They were: CBs Asher Allen, Cord Parks, Marcus Sherels and Devon Torrence; WRs Stephen Burton, Greg Camarillo and Jaymar Johnson; and RB Lorenzo Booker.

Camarillo was the primary punt returner last season, fielding 39 of the team’s 42 punt returns. He hasn’t done anything to lose the responsibility and is in fact one of the surest-handed returners in the group, but there’s nothing wrong with opening up the job for competition. Through one preseason game, Johnson has the best results (1 return for 40 yards) and Sherels has returned a pair of punts for 4 yards.

There are higher-profile position battles on the Vikings roster this year, such as backup QB and starting safety, but the importance of the punt return position battle should not be understated. The candidates for the job come from a variety of different positions, which means the punt return job has an impact on several areas of the team when it comes time for coaches and scouts to pick the 53-man rosters.

We’ll continue to monitor this position battle for you on vikings.com throughout the rest of training camp and the preseason. Here are a few notes from Tuesday afternoon’s practice…

– The team worked in full pads for just short of 2.5 hours under partly cloudy skies. The temperature was fairly warm, but there was a persistent wind that cooled the air and made life a bit more difficult for P Chris Kluwe and K Ryan Longwell.

– Longwell, though, was solid during the special teams period and connected on a high percentage of his FG tries.

– RG Anthony Herrera practice for the second straight day and continues to ease back into the swing of things. He worked with the first-team offense. Also working with the first-team offense again on Tuesday was Scott Kooistra.

– Tyrell Johnson was a safety on the first-team defense and Chris Cook worked with the first-team nickel defense.

– The Vikings coaching staff gave the one-on-one drill between WRs and CBs/safeties a different twist. Ordinarily the drill pits just one WR against one CB, but on Tuesday the Vikings worked on route combinations. There were three DBs on the field for the drill (one safety, two CBs) and two WRs. The drill not only had the offensive players working on route combinations and the defensive players working on defensive schemes, but it also forced the defense to communicate and it forced the QB to make a decision on which receiver to target.

– There is usually a “special category” period of practice, which is commonly referred to as “special cats.” Tuesday’s “special cats” period had the offense working in the no-huddle against a 40-second play clock. A few interesting things to note about this period of practice: QB Donovan McNabb ran the no-huddle for the first-team offense flawlessly and without error; Camarillo saw a lot of extra time with the first-team as a slot WR with Harvin sitting out (more on that below); and rookie Brandon Burton grabbed an INT during the period off of Christian Ponder on an impressive play where he tipped the pass and was able to concentrate in traffic to haul in the pick.

– Guys who sat out of practice on Tuesday: S Simeon Castiille, LBs Heath Farwell and Kenny Onatolu, DE D’Aundre Reed and TE Visanthe Shiancoe. WR Percy Harvin took part in the early portions of practice but then sat out for most of the workout. It looked like a precautionary move more than anything because he stuck around outside for the entire practice and was interacting with his teammates. Harvin was bothered by a rib injury near the end of the Mankato portion of training camp. Also, LB Jonathan Gilmore left practice early; no indication on his injury.

– I’m not sure how much it’s worth tracking which players are playing with the first-team, second-team and third-team, mostly because coaches are still experimenting with different combinations as they try to shape their position groups. So at the risk of jumping to conclusions, or causing you to jump to conclusions, here’s how a few positions appear to be shaking out: Adrian Awasom (LDE) and Everson Griffen (RDE) are consistently with the second-team; Letroy Guion and Fred Evans are second-team DTs; rookie LB Ross Homan and veteran LB Mark Washington have been primarily with the second-team defense the past two days; Asher Allen and Chris Cook are the second-team CBs, but Sherels is rotated into the mix on occasion; Mistral Raymond and Jamarca Sanford are the second-team safeties and both have taken turns with the first-team; the second-team nickel features Burton and Devon Torrence at outside CB, Marcus Sherels in the slot, Jasper Brinkley and Ross Homan at LB and a rotation at safety among Chris Adingupu, Raymond and Sanford.

– Rookie DeMarcus Love, a 4-year starter at the University of Arkansas in the talent-rich Southeastern Conference (SEC), seems to have established himself as the second-team LT.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

115 Responses to “Punt Return Job Looks Wide Open; Practice Notes”

1. By sandiamond on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Musgrave and Pagac presser is out on the site now. wow the blogs are coming in right and left. Great job Mike!

2. By Pjack on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I hope that there is competition for the starting quarterback position too… veterans get complacent too and McNabb is no exception, so if it ends up that he’s not the best guy to put out there on 9/11 – then I have no problems hurting his pride or his feelings and starting someone else.

3. By vikingrob22 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

if Love is second OLT where is P Brown?

4. By Kevin WI on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

If you really think the punt return job is WIDE OPEN, then you are blind or the coaches are (I don’t think they are though)
    Jaymar has it locked up. Only reason Cam got the job was because jaymar got hurt in preseason, Reynaud got traded and berrian couldn’t catch a punt to save his life. Cam had sure hands, but couldn’t run anywhere.
    The job is Jaymar’s.

5. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I am super excited about this season. San Diego will be the first victim.

6. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Don’t you have to stop the other team before you can return a punt?

JUST SAYING!

7. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus for “Short Bus” President!

You have my vote…….count it!

8. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus….I know you are VERY excited…..give it about 6 games into the season….that should do it!

Check back with us and let us know what your excitement level is then!

Can’t wait!

9. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

4-12 !

10. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

4-12 !!!!

11. By brockjn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I truly think that Jaymar should have the job as a punt returner and as a back up to Harvin. I also think we should give Cook one more chance at corner and maybe move Winfield over to safety, because he would be the man at safety. We would have to find a corner and hopefully that would be a guy like Cook or even one of the guys that we drafted such as Torrence, or Burton. We need to get rid of Tyrell, and keep Jamarca as a back up or even a starter if Husain didnt do that well. I would also like to see Demarcus Love as the starter this game at LT and move Johnson over to RG. Herrera will more then like never be the same anymore and he’s long in the tooth. We also need to start Fusco at Center because Im truly sick of watching people run over Sullivan. Fusco is a huge dude and it seems he has a nasty attitude which is what we also need. I miss the guys that were mad at you on the line if you werent on their team. We need that back for sure!

12. By OLD SCHOOL on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I was watching ESPN today and they were talking about a couple of Wide-Outs and contract type stuff and as they were talking and showing high-lights of these particular players I noticed that every single high-light of them catching the ball was against our secondary………..LOL!

NOT REALLY FUNNY!

My Dad alwayd said, ” You have to laugh to keep from crying”!

I do alot of that in regards to this team!

13. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Old School, you like short buses?

14. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

We might lose one or two games in the first six. Might lose against KC or Chicago, but we will be a solid 4-2, or 5-1 at that point.

15. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Then Old School, you can tell me again how accurate and wise your prognosis is. NOT.

16. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I got a good chuckly right at the end of Pagac’s press conference today. Among the CBs he mentioned was “Cookie”, which I thought was pretty funny because so far his performance has been as soft as a cookie. It’s time to start stepping up your game Cookie, or the entire league will quickly catch on to the nickname given to you by your own coach!

17. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

…and then you will get your just desert!

18. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Excuse me, that’s just dessert.

19. By Carl K on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I am going to start calling him Cookie Crisp!
    Soft and sweet when it comes to tackling, but burnt to a crisp in pass coverage.

20. By sandiamond on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

nice catch Parody! lol
    allen quoted as being a “good ” football player and big things expected.Ok just a few weeks left to prove it

21. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

As far as PRs go, Jaymar Johnson has my vote. He was a great returner in his rookie year, and looks like he still has all the moves after his injury took him off the field for all of last year. I’ve been a Johnson fan for a while, so especially after Saturday’s return, it will be tough for any of the other candidates to switch my opinion.

Camarillo being the #2 choice right now is rather sad. Yea, he doesn’t drop punts, but he doesn’t do anything with them either. It would have little difference if we just had 11-men blitzing the punter to block the kick, and let the ball roll when they’re unsuccessful.

22. By sandiamond on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

These blogs need an edit and reply feature like mlb

23. By sandiamond on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

exact same thing with Reynaud. I guess the giants wanted “sure” hands

24. By tru-speed on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@ oldschool Get a life, an your loser A#! off the true vikings fans site!

25. By From the grassy noll on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K: Your sarcasm is funnier than Will Ferrell! (Cookie Crisp! Very witty.)

I really think that Jaymar had to have impressed the coaches of every team in the league when he showed his burst and took it around the corner for 40 yards. He will be on an active roster! Unless, he gets a case of the drops, or fumblitis, he’s our guy.

26. By From the grassy noll on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Brockjn:

I am a huge fan of Antoine Winfield. He has all the instincts, and seems to never be out of position, but is he too small for playing the safety position? I’m not an expert on these things, I think he could get a ton of picks as a safety, I’m just more concerned with his size and coming up to support the run.

27. By CA_Viking_fan on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m really rooting for Booker. I got to see him play many games during his high school career and he was something. I think he may have held several state records. It was kind of surprising to not see him really take off as expected. I hope this year is a breakout season for him.

28. By Yesterday's corn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I think Jaymar is our punt returner. We could bring Pat Williams back to be our “Kickoff return specialist.” Since with the new rules change, he would just have to watch it sail out of the endzone or catch it and take a knee. I really think this rule will be for 1 season only, and will be suprised if there are 4 return TD’s all season league wide.

29. By Dome is "half full" on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@CA Viking fan:

I share your enthusiasm for Booker. He really runs hard!

30. By CP7FTW on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

It is true that Booker runs like he wants to be a starter. He is a great kick returner too. I think that the vikings coaches should put jaymar at punt returner and lorenzo at kick returner. both are very good, and taking percy out of the return specialist job will keep him from getting injured. Percy is my #2 wr in fantasy football. He beetter not get injured. Johnson will get more punts and booker will get more kicks. i trust the staff to do the right thing. otherwise, jaymar johnson has little competition for the punt returning job. 4 pr tds? yes and maybe more

31. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@CP7FTW,

Booker ran well because there were holes for him. He has some moves and is quick, but even Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Adrian Peterson can not gain yardage without an offensive line.

Our O line could have been more consistent against the Titans, but the first string did not play very long. I watched Dr. Love for a couple of plays. He looks like he might help the Vikings. Frazier said C. Johnson looked good in his little stint.

32. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Coach Frazier, and Pagac,

Keep giving Marcus Sherels playing time this year. You won’t be sorry !

33. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I think all the main bloggers should go to a game this season.

34. By vikings4life on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Start ballard at d tackle

35. By vikings4life on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think this secondary will do well this season there’s just too many missing puzzles, safties and corners are not solid enough. Stopping the run and the pass will be a huge struggle this season bet on it.

36. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

the sky is falling

37. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Back in the 1970s I saw a news column on the relative importance of the pre-season (“exhibition games” as they were called at that time).

They gave some stunning stats. Some teams that had great pre-seasons often did poorly in the regular season.

Obviously that isn’t always the case. But you can look back in your old Vikings yearbooks (if you still have them) and see that they didn’t always win alot of pre-season games.

38. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

We do not know what Frazier’s attack plan is for this season, and he wouldn’t tell anyone if they asked.

He is a smart guy, and will get the most out of this team.

Why did J. Allen sit out of such an “important” game?

Why didn’t we throw the ball down the field more?

Frazier is coach, he can have Webb, Ponder, or McNabb whip it downfield
    every play if he wants. So why didn’t he do that?

HMMMMMM???

39. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Frederick– I googled– success of preseason affect on regular season, or something on that order a few days ago when everyone saw clouds touching the earth. Oddly, many teams that were perfect in the preseason often did not even make the playoffs– I think actually, they play too well and teams know too much about their schemes by the time the real season begins.

Note this— The Patriots a few years ago were a perfect 16-0.
    In the preseason of that year, they were only .500. 2-2.

40. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Yes, Frazier and company are very smart– they understand the purpose of a preseason game– and the purpose is not to win or lose.

41. By Woodboat on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

JJ for punt returner should be a given.

I have no problem with the new kick off rules. Kickers that can sail kicks out of the endzone were putting them deep in the endzone last year, making it unlikely that the return man would bring it out. Teams that excel at the return game will still be able to bring out the kicks… they’ll just be starting 5 yards deeper. It does take a little of the importance away from special teams, but I’m ok with that. I hate to see good hard-fought games decided by which teams 2nd stringers excel at one play.

Our head coach and OC have already begun trying to divert attention away from our poor O-Line play, blaming the “skill” players not doing what they were supposed to be doing. I’m not sure, but I don’t think that Berrian running 2 yds too deep on a route is responsible for our O-Lineman laying flat on their backs. If McNabb drops back 7 steps instead of 5, does that make it ok for our guys to hit the ground like someone just hit them in the ankle with a sand wedge? Yeesh…. bad take, coaches.

42. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

Thanks for the backup on the lack of importance of pre-season wins. You know you are right, the other teams study the films of every game they can get their little paws on!!!

43. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I asked you to help me with the word “alot” in another blog.

Should you write the word as “a lot” sometimes, or is it always “alot?”

Alot isn’t used alot by many writers!!!

44. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Fred, where have you been? I have been saying this for the past three days.

45. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I am going to repeat this because some may not have seen it.

I think it was 1972, the Vikings drafted Leo Hayden out of Ohio State University.

Hayden was the Vikings pre-season leader in rushing, by a landslide.

He was quickly becoming my hero (I was in elementary school at the time).

He was cut by the Vikings, got picked up by the Cardinals, and gained a grand total of about 20 yards. That was his only year in the NFL.

If there were 160 men on that field last Saturday, then it was like a REPLACEMENT GAME. Sure you had some good talent mixed in, but most will not make it in the NFL.

46. By Woodboat on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

On the importance of preseason wins…

I would think that coaches that have weaker teams may try to boost the confidence of their squads by racking up victories prior to week one. Teams that are confident in their abilities take the time to really evaluate which young guys can help their team and how their team will react in different situations. Like Coach Frazier said, they didn’t gameplan for Tenn and they won’t for Seattle, either. They want to see what the boys can do on the field, not worry about the scoreboard.

Personally, I’m going to try to take that mentality into the actual season. I don’t have much hope for this squad, especially early on. BUT I am going to enjoy watching them improve each week and I hope for an 8-8 season with an eye towards really competing next season with Ponder at the reins. With the squad we have now, if the Vikes draft OL and DB next year, we will be right in the thick of things.

47. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I do have to note that I just read something that teams that go winless in preseason often have a poor season, but not always. But since 2000, teams that win every preseason game have a 31% chance of having a winning season (SportsDelve.com). SO, it can be deduced, that a balance between focusing on winning and on training/roster evaluations should be achieved for morale and confidence of a team during the preseason. All losses is not good, but all wins does not guarantee a winning season more than a third of the time.

48. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

AND that is all I have to say about that.

49. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

The blogs have been so negative, I have avoided reading them.

What I do, most of the time, is look for my blogs and see if anybody responded to them. My eyes can’t take the strain of reading every blog anyway.

Sorry I missed your comments !

50. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha– Fred, so you see it too? I said the other day it was Deja Vu– like the old fire Childress mantra reared its ugly head again.

51. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

McNabb was quite impressive.

52. By vikings4life on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

jaymar johnson and lorenzo booker should take those two spots but other than that the packers bears and lions are going to make things tough for the vikes. This is a black cat team if they don’t make it to the playoffs.

53. By Titus on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Vikings will win at least 10 games– guaranteed.

54. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

anyone see how unhappy rex ryan was about scoring 16 points and losing in a preseason game?

i love that kind of intensity … THE DESIRE TO WIN !!!

are the jets still in preseason?

55. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

WOW … josh mcdaniels rams offense scored 33 points

56. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

LOL detroit scored 33 points and only gave up 3

57. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

OMG … belichik and the patriots scored 47 points in their preseason opener, theres a program with a WINNING ATTITUDE

and a coach not afraid to cut people …. DEMANDING EXCELLENCE

58. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

hmmm only 4 teams scored 3 points or less …. Bengals, 49ers, Cheifs, Bills

59. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

O wait one more team scored 3 points …. Vikings

60. By PurpleNation on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Who needs packer fans when you already have fans like oldschool?!!

61. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Who says Old School isn’t a Packer fan?

62. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Yes its only the first preseason game but it was a poor performance ….

and it needs to get better

63. By moorevikes on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

had those exact same thoughts Shawn. look people it’s not that we’re negative it’s called passion. when i see the same weaknesses in our team year after year after year, yes it tends to drain you and we get frustrated so we come on here and vent. here’s my prediction for our dbs, winfield will be a solid tackler but get burnt because he’s getting older, griffen will tear an acl (AGAIN) don’t get mad at me; if you got weak knees you got weak knees, cook will cont. to miss tackles and get burnt on a regular basis, johnson and sanford will cont. to take bad angles and not be there to help the corners who just got burnt. and yes we have one of the worst olines in the league don’t even get me started. however, by getting Mckinnie’s fat lazy arse outta there is a start in the right direction

64. By moorevikes on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

hey at least old school isn’t trying to pump rainbows and unicorns up our arses

65. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

PreSeason Fun Facts

2010 – Packers … 2-2 … SB Winner
    Steelers … 3-1 … SB Looser

2009 – Saints …… 3-1 … SB Winner
    Colts ……. 1-3 ….SB Looser

2008 – Steelers …. 3-1 … SB Winner
    Cardinals ..2-2 …. looser

2007 – Giants ……. 1-3 …. winner
    Patriots ….. 2-2 …. loser

2006 – Colts ………. 1-3 …. winner
    Bears ……… 2-2 … loser

66. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I’ll take Rainbows and Unicorns over the fecal excrement that the Negative Nancies are spewing out any day.

67. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

the preferred vernacular is negative nellies

68. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Id rather have honesty and reality over hopes and dreams

wish in one hand and sh!t in the other … see which one fills up first

69. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

70. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

:) anytime buddy :)

err Par:)dy

71. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

hmm that smiley face didnt work out so well sorry parody

72. By Parody on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

NP – This site doesn’t appear to recognize emoticons if they aren’t preceded by a space.

73. By Parody on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I figured that out when I tried to put together a complete offensive formation for Fred: ;) . . . . :D :D :D :D :D :)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :P . . . . . . . . . . . :)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ;)

74. By Shawn on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

either that or the strong I are my favorite formations

75. By Shawn on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

did anyone hear about the Jaguar fans? after jacksonville lost to the patriots 47-12 , Jaguar fans wanted the team to fire Jack Del Rio

76. By Shawn on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

hahaha the Jaguar fans were calling for the coaches head after a week 1 preseason loss … THATS SOME SERIOUS FRUSTERATED PASSION

77. By Parody on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Well there you have it. I mean losing to the Patriots is embarassing enough, but in the preseason no less? That’s just unheard of! They fans should have lynched the coach in the parking lot…

78. By hicohornet on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

If it’s “garenteed” that they will win 10 games I won’t everyone who believes that to post mark me a check and if they go 9-7 or below I’ll cash it. Yeah, I thought so!

79. By hicohornet on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I want* my bad LOL.

80. By ozzinator on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Titus,
    What ever happened to that whiney liberal “firedchildress” anyway?

81. By Mike B. on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Although you are correct that preseason games are not inportant to win. But you don’t come into any game with the intent in losing the game. There is no panic but most of us pointed out weaknesses that were obvious in parts of the team. It may be a look at the depth second and third strngers, but there are issues that need addressing. @Fred Webb was not focusing on putting the ball down feild he was too quick to pull the ball in and run. Ponder was focused and was checking down recievers and his go to recievers. Ponder looked like an NFL QB and Webb not as much. That’s how it was. Here is no hating just a straight honest observation. Many saw it. I will be watching the next game and will be just as objective for the good and bad. Take Care All

82. By Bill Greene on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I think Bernard Berrian should return punts for us this season.

83. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Better not identify weaknesses in preseason or regular season efforts, lest you incure riducule from Titus as not being a true fan……

84. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Is not preseason to identify both strenghts and weakenesses? To continualy harp on the lack of importance for W/L misses the point.
    I believe intelligent fans have every right to discuss and voice their both pleasure and disappointment with player performances. It would be robotically boring for everyone to be satisfied with everything the team does…honestly, is everything good? All things always positive? sounds abit pollyanna-ish to me.

85. By Titus on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

It is not about negativity — it is about understanding a clarity of purpose.

86. By ozzinator on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Titus,
    Again I ask, what ever happened to that whiney liberal “firedchildress” anyway?

87. By VikeFan on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I was figuring only 5, possibly 6 W R’s. Now, I don’t see B. Berrian returning kicks. Later last month I picked M. Jenkins, E. Arceneaux, P. Harvin, A. Holmes and (B. Berrian OR D. Aromashodu) as this years receivers. I guess I could go with Jaymar Johnson as another. But then backups are being removed. I just hope we can fill our reception needs. Five, maybe six, for receivers.

88. By vikings4life on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Aromoshadu probably won’t make the team, he needs to pick up the pace.

89. By rockstardann on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I’d just like to point out that the Lions went undefeated in preseason the year they didn’t win a regular season game. I don’t think pre-season should be taken so seriously for team evaluation as much as it should for player evaluation.

90. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

To Old SChool: its an internet board. Just because some fans have the fire of fan is not reason to be a pu nk about it. Be nice man.

91. By Booty Clap on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

FoxSports.com did a story on why every team in football can win the Super Bowl each year. They also calculate the odds of making it to the Super Bowl.
    The story is by Peter Schrager. Here is how they compute the odds of the NFC central: Green Bay is 6.35-1, Their 1st round draft pick at tackle is a road paver. Chicago Bears 28-1 because Marion Barber and Roy Williams are hungry, and Cutler and Martz have had another year to work together. Detroit Lions are 36-1 because this year Stafford is healthy. Plus, Suh and Fairley will prevent teams from running on the Lions. Minnesota Vikings are at 40-1. Because Donovan McNabb has one more Super Bowl left in him.

They calculate New England and Philly are each at 6-1 due to their off-season additions.

Carolina was listed at 180-1.

As Viking fans we can’t get discouraged by this, on paper, these predictions seem logical. But as we all know, the game is not played on paper!

Sincerely, The Booty clapper

92. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Here is how I see(with clarity of purpose ) a ranking of the teams in the NFC
    1. Green Bay
    2,New Orleans
    3. Philadelphia
    4. Atlanta
    5.Seattle
    6.Chicago
    7 .Minnesota
    8. Arizona
    9. Tampa
    10.Detroit

93. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

BTW-
    All of you getting on Old School’s case-
    keep in mind thsat we should at least consider more than one’s own viewpoint, and actually welcome diverging views.
    If you want everyone in agreement, then dgo join a cult or perhaps one of the many fascist organizations available on the internet.
    I for one think there is concern in Old School…he is a fan from way back and is pointing out the obvious weknesses in our team.
    Please do not insist that all fans must unquestioningly flollow the “everything is great” mantra about the team.

94. By Old School on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Rocksalt and moorevikes!

This goes to the Tituses and the tru-speeds of the world…….

So, other than following this team with blind devotion, what else does one need to be a “True-Fan” as tru-speed would put?

Oh, I all ready know one of them, and that’s not seeing the truth about your own team that you blindly follow. Because what I speak on is what I simply see on the field and what I have seen for the last few years!

Sorry if that is a sore spot for you…..that it ruins your fantasy of what this team is, compared to what it really is, and that is a team with an average O-Line at best, a Secondary that I have a hard time even calling them a Secondary, and finally an aging D-Line that has seen it’s sacks and run D start to decline!

The Truth hurts as they say!

95. By Old School on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

It’s a team that is sub-par in its own division!

IN ITS OWN DIVISION!

4TH PLACE IN ITS OWN DIVISION!

96. By Old School on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

When you come at me with that tired “True Fan” stuff….all that shows me is that you hate hearing the truth and you live in a fantasy land!

And that’s the only rational come back you have………

How weak and such a waste of my time anymore!

Please come back to this site after the first 6 OR 8 games, WHEN THIS TEAM IS BELOW 500………………..AND ALREADY OUT OF IT!

AND APOLOGIZE TO ME AND THE ROCKSALTS AND MOOREVIKES OF THE WORLD……………………..”TRUE FAN”!

Please to that me!

97. By Old School on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Please do that for me……..

and if I’m wrong………….I will man up and do the same!

98. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Old School, Ladies and gentlemen………

99. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

BTW- Right on moorevikes!

100. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Here’s to Rainbows and Unicorns……..

101. By Old School on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Rainbows, Unicorns, Easter Bunny, Santa, and the Vikes winning season…….

I’ll drink to that!!

102. By Old School on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

You know Rocksalt……….it pains me that these “True Fans” think I take some kind of enjoyment from speaking my mind about this team and how I think they will do this year! Like it doesn’t kill me that I see what I see and that I think this season will be sub-par!

I will be at the bar….here in St.Pete, Florida….watching every down…..and they think it won’t hurt!

IT’S UNBELIEVABLE TO ME!

As if I come on here to get them fired up or something…when I could care less if they agree or not….but I do enjoy reading others point of views!

103. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I feel your pain, Old School! While I can HOPE that the Vikes will do well, they have shown me areas of concern, so realistically, I am unable to share the other’s blind optimism.nor do I think they should harrangue those of us who choose to viwe this realistically.

104. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

BTW-
    moorevikes, Shawn, Joe C, NovaScotiaVike, all point out concerns regarding this team……..TELL IT LIKE IT IS OR GO HOME!
    That’s what I respect about you Old School!

105. By Rocksalt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

ONE MORE THING-BRAD CHILDRESS”S NAME ON THI SITE-IT’S GOTTA GO. PERIOD!

106. By moorevikes on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

nice to see the “old gang” back again for another season, whether it be 0-16 or 16-0 WE will always be true fans. the ONLY way i’ll stop watchin is if i’m dead or they move to L.A.

107. By moorevikes on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

second that Rock

108. By Booty Clap on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt:

I like your NFC rankings except your ranking of Seattle. I think Dallas will respond with a much better season. Here is how I see the rankings if star players on these teams stay healthy.

1. Green Bay- They weren’t healthy last year, and they won it all
    2. Atlanta- I think they’ll figure out how to win a playoff game.
    3. Saints- They still have the pieces to contend.
    4. Philly
    5. Dallas- They’ve cut out the freak show, and are actually focusing on football. Now that they’ve recovered from Romo’s bachelor party.
    6. Tampa
    7. St. Louis
    8. Vikings or Detroit
    9. Arizona
    10. Chicago: I respect their talent, but due to the teams aging stars they are prone to injury.

109. By moorevikes on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Positives- we still have the best running back in the league, Ponder seems to have promise (i don’t watch college b-all so i’m just going off of what i’ve seen and heard), i like our coaching staff, the dline is getting older but i like the guys behind the guys, J. Allen had an off year last year but i think he’s gonna come in this season with a vengeance (coughbackonthejuicecough) just kidding, maybe. linebackers (golden), singletary coaching them; even better. i like our new tight end kyle rudolph, percy harvin (play maker), me personally i like jenkins, j. johnson, and d. aromashodu as well, so i think we’ll be okay there.

110. By moorevikes on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

best screen name winner goes to (drum roll) BOOTY CLAP. i saw sincerely the booty clapper and started rollin

111. By DuaneN on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

LOL moorevikes I didn’t want to say that about Allen. I heard HGH only takes 36 hours to leave the system. It is everywhere and I don’t care.

Negative Neil or Debbie Downer is preferred to Negative Nancy nowadays.

These boards would be worthless if they were full of boring cheerleaders.

112. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Right on DuaneN!
    moorevikes, Old School, BootyClap,…god to see some REALISM………..Not WE WILL WIN SUBERBOWL YAY! STOP THE NEGATIVE! YAY! DON”T QUESTION THE VIKES! YAY!
    Booty-
    I think you may be right w. Cowboys, but they have certainly underachieved recently…so ya never know….

113. By Flamcake on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I come from the blind faith school of thought. Our O-line is WAY under rated. They will do fine with a little more fire playing for a better coach and less injuries. Our secondary will step it up too as you will see with everyone across the board now that we have a coach they like to play for. McNabb now is better than Favre, A.P. is in a contract year, Brian Robison rules and you will all witness this and we will be n 11 or 12 win team. It’s OK to be negative and all, but why? At this point in the season why be negative? It makes no sense. And just so everyone is aware (not trying to sound childish here) Old School started it! titus said san diego would be our first victum, then you said Titus for “Short bus” president. Titus is cooler than you, be negative if you must but why criticize a positive fan before the season has even started? Why criticize them ever?

114. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

So Old School and Titus do not get along…..
    So what?
    Last Year, when Titus was Be Sane ans Serious he made some comments that were somewhat dismissive to others, Heck we all get our dander up every once in a whlie.So what?
    I for one, enjoy seeing debate and even disagreement. And another thing
    Being critical being objectibve is not the same as being negative.
    So drink the purple kool aid if that is what you must do, but realize that fans come in all shapes, sizes, and opinions…..

115. By Rocksalt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

so flamcake-
    Does the blind fiath premise work for you when you decide to cross a busy intersection? Let me know how that works out for you….