Vikings Special Teams Give Strong Showing

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 15, 2011 – 7:11 am

It’s generally not something you find football fans talking about, but it’s a vital part of every team and it’s an important factor in every game. We’re talking about special teams. And this preseason for the Vikings, it’s an especially important group to watch because there’s a new special teams coordinator in town with Mike Priefer aboard.

After one preseason game, it’s so far, so good for Priefer’s special teams groups. In what was mostly an uninspiring performance from the Vikings on Saturday night in Tennessee, the special teams groups looked strong. Let’s take a moment to point out a few of the strongpoints…

– P Chris Kluwe had a nice night, booming five punts and generating an average of 41.6 yards per punt and 39.4 net yards per punt; a net average of 39.4 yards would’ve ranked Kluwe 4th among all punters last year. Also, Kluwe put two of his five punts inside the 20-yardline and only three of his punts were returned.

– The Vikings punt coverage unit performed well in unison with Kluwe, allowing just 3.7 yards per return on three attempts.

– On kickoff returns, the Vikings averaged 26.0 yards per try, which would’ve ranked them 2nd in the NFL last year. In kickoff return coverage, the Vikings allowed just 19.0 yards per return, which also would’ve ranked them 2nd best in the NFL last year.

– Give credit to the group of Kluwe, K Ryan Longwell and long snapper Cullen Loeffler because they didn’t have a botched snap, hold or kick all night. Longwell was true from 37 yards out to give the Vikings their only points.

– WR Jaymar Johnson, who is trying to earn a spot on the WR depth chart, certainly helped his cause by performing on special teams. He returned a punt 40 yards in the second half, displaying a quick burst and then excellent top-end speed on the play. Another WR – Devin Aromashodu – who is also trying to win a spot on the WR depth chart helped himself on special teams as well by notching a tackle.

– Others who chipped in with special teams tackles were LB Larry Dean, S Eric Frampton and LB Heath Farwell.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

66 Responses to “Vikings Special Teams Give Strong Showing”

1. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. By David P on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

When soecial teams is the only good thing to talk about after a game is a bad sign. A long season awaits.

3. By David P on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Oops special teams.

4. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think it’s the only good thing to talk about. I thought Lorenzo Booker looked good, McNabb showed signs of promise, Webb displayed his athleticism, Ponder got his feet wet and led some drives, Erin Henderson had 10 tackles and rookie DT Christian Ballard notched a sack. Those are all good things.

And don’t demean special teams. The second the special teams makes a mistake, you’re probably the first one to hop on here and rip them. You should be fair and acknowledge them when they play well, too.

5. By xvike on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Special teams did perform well. It’s just a shame that the vikings couldn’t take advantage of that 40 yard punt return by johnson with a td.

6. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Special teams are a huge part of the game. Very important. Determining starting field position for your or your opponent’s offense? That is huge.

7. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Mike W– I thought McNabb looked very good for the limited play after a long period of not playing. Remember, he was benched at the end of last season. McNabb spread the ball around, was very accurate, and each throw reminded me of the old Favre bullets everyone use to be in awe of– yes, this will be a good season.

8. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

All of the negative posters– please don’t try to sit in my seat in Indy when I watch the Vikes play in the Superbowl.

9. By Tom on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Our special teams looked 20 times better than it did last year if you ask me. Our coverage team did a nice job of getting down field when the ball was kicked. Johnson and Booker had a couple nice returns also. I think our big need is still offensive line. Our defensive line also kind of got pushed around Saturday but I think that was mainly because they were playing without Kevin Williams and Jared Allen.

10. By Tom on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

One other think, Heath Farwell is still one of, if not the best special teamer I have seen.

11. By CA Norwegian on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Maybe we shlould drop the word, “special” since it is now the pc way to address people with some serious problems, who may compete in the “special olympics.” Maybe Transition teams would be better term. And thanks Mike for the info and discussion. I am thinking D’imperio is helped to make the squad here by his linebacker background and could even be on a ‘hands’ team. Others have said the other FB has a little more wiggle. Are we going to have a FB or is Kleinsasser going to handle it?

12. By Rudso on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I saw a lot of good in this game. Ya we lost but the main goal wasn’t to win but to get as much tape on players who are competing for a spot on the team. Half of our defense didn’t even play (J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Griffin, A. Winfield) and we played with our 3rd and 4th RBs.

Younger Henderson stepped up with double digit tackles, Ballard made a sweet sack, Ponder showed good movement and accuracy with the ball, I only remember him missing one pass on a slant. But I got to say my favorite play of the game was Ponders first NFL throw to his fellow rookie Kyle Rudolph on a play action pass. That chemistry is starting between those two. :)

I was hoping our secondary with make a couple of plays but I can’t seem to remember any that stood out, but I got to see my Vikings on a football field playing another NFL team. I’m happy.

13. By CA Norwegian on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

The kickoff return is skewed heavily by where the ball is placed. Last year the kicker had to kick further and this year they can elevate it more, so the coverage will be better. Last year vs this year is not a fair comparison, so saying were second is like taking our best 45 dash time and comparing it against last year’s 50 times.

14. By David P on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

There were several good things but when you mention the good you might as well mention the bad, Mike. For example Webb showed his athletism but he missed wide open receivers more than once. Yet Locker did not when he had the opportunity. I beleive in giving credit where credit is due. yes the special teams did very well, the Hendersons looked very well, we all know Booker can play and there were other areas that were good. But again, for the 7 tackles that Erin Henderson was involved in, he missed three others when he had the player wrapped up. Again, you see these guys everyday. Report both the good and the bad. Ponder and Webb both had flashes, but after looking at several other rookies in their first game, Ponder has a way to go. As for the DB’s I watched the game and for Allen and Cook there was not anything I saw that they did that was good. The best play out of a DB was the #36. He showed speed and hearty play. I hope that Cook and Allen can watch some game film and try to find a spark. But there are two things in football that cannot be taught, heart and speed.

15. By Arrow86 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

For the negative folks, who had the best record last year in pre-season? I don’t know either, because it doesn’t matter. I haven’t checked, but are they freaking out over on the Packer website over losing to Cleveland. YES I SAID CLEVELAND! Probably not, because it was basicly an organized scrimmage.

CA Norwegian is realistic about special teams. The 5 yards on kickoffs makes a huge difference for coverage. I think Jaymar Johnson’s punt returns will hopefully put him on the Viking roster as the season starts. For sure he will be on someone’s roster on opening day.

16. By hicohornet on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

We all know the Packers have talent. More talent than us. So the score didn’t indicate anything but the way they played did. They where crisp. We didn’t play football. The Saints won and they played hard aggressive football. Their defense hit hard and ganged tackled their running game worked to profection. The Lions defense played really well. They too played great. The Falcons looked really good. The Falcons showed that they have the ability to put up major points this year. Tampa looked solid. Those are NFC teams that are way ahead of us right now. We are no where near where they are. We may be able to compete with the Lions for second place, but with that said 2nd place in the North will not get us into the playoffs whne you have teams like the Giants, Bucs, Saints or the Falcons playing for two wild card spots. The other teams who scored 3 points… The Bengals & the 49ers… yeah that’s just about where we are.

17. By hicohornet on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

You can have the best special teams in the league but if you don’t have the quarterback and the talent on defense and the head coaches then you aren’t gonig to win much games. Field goals will not win Super Bowls.

18. By Arrow86 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@hicohornet

Field goals do win Super Bowls, just ask the Pat’s fans and the BIlls fans. We have to relax a bit about where we’re at. WE ARE NOT A SUPER BOWL TEAM RIGHT NOW. But, no one else is either. We have so many new things to learn from our new coaches, players we’ve added. I think the Vikings built a team in the short time span to improve upon last season and compete well, but also develop toward getting to the top in future years. Ponder, will be the QB when we cross that threshold. This is a game where one or two key players getting injured can change a franchises shot at a Super Bowl. QB is a key position to get consistent quality play. Rarely has a team made the Super Bowl with their QB going down. Hostetler with the Giants, and Warner with the Rams are the two examples that come to mind. Hang in there, I still feel the first half of week 3 of preseason will give us a better indicator of what our team can produce.

19. By Arrow86 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@hicohornet:

Devin Hester of the Bears a few years ago really was a game changer through special teams. The Bear offense started with better field position than their opponent, starting with an early lead allows the defense to do more things as well. Exceptional special teams can make a good offense look great, and a good defense look fantastic. We are still missing some key pieces, but I’m encouraged by the direction and leadership the team has taken.

20. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobs good stuff ….

Have we signed Adrian Peterson to a long term deal yet?

21. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@arrow86 … its hard to not make any excuses :)

22. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Special teams are HUGE and we have been solid the last 2-3 years … it was 3 or 4 years ago we were awfull , I think

Have we signed Chad Greenway to a long term deal yet?

23. By Don on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren Sharper is visiting the pats..why not us..he’s better then every safety we have..point blank..

24. By Dave on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the special team news. I like watching them in pre-season, since that’s where a lot of the underdogs will earn a spot. Any chance the league will let teams kick off from the 30 like the Bears did (until the league made them stop it)? That was a good idea for pre-season.

25. By sandiamond on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Pagac need to stand up and be a realist! talk to spielman, talk to frazier and stress the need for certain positions to fill in the defensive backfield. Looks like Pagac is just going to work with what we have nad do his job and nothing else. Sharper gone by the eow

26. By Lol on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Don, you have to realize that the Vikings don’t have an infinite amount of money. I’m sure we want Sharper, but we don’t have the money for him right now.

27. By Don on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

lol..yea i know just wishful thinking..i just don’t understand why they didn’t even try to improve are dbs..but i do like are rookie safety we drafted..

28. By David on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

For crying out loud its the first preseason game the offense isn’t going to look unstoppable with a new Quarterback and recieving corps trying to get some rhythm. We have all seen teams that didn’t look good in the offseason hit a stride and do well. We also know how being a favorite sometimes doesn’t work out so well (example last year)

29. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Seems like true fans have shown their horns on this blog— most of us on here agree that there is a lot of promise to this season and we know what to look for in preseason– and that is not wins or losses– just does not matter. Show too much in preseason and it can work against you in the real season.

30. By kenny on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@ Lol True that we do not have alot of money…but Sharper will not command alot of dough…he is pushing what/ ..like 37 yrs old? He is soild and will be a great Vet for use and a upgrade over our safeties as of now//although Hussein will be very good this Yr. Sharper is looking into Pats and im sure they wont b paying him alot. We could compete for his services…1 he has been with us before and 2 he would b starting whereas if he goes to PATs he will be situational player.

@ David P….Bravo! I agree with almost everything you said….you have to comment on the bad and good. I liked how you summed it up. But i do think erin henderson was awesome! You mentioned his 2 missed tackles but man ol man he had like # consecitive tackles on # consecitive plays. I know its only ! game but im sold on him and he along with EJ and Greenway gonna be very nice!

31. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … I agree with prety much what you said, I can not be satisfied with 3 points … regardless of preaseason

And I dont think a coach or an athlete can ever be content with any loss … I believe it sets the wrong tone and attitude to be ok with any loss regarless of preseason

If you watch the Frazier presser he is not happy after that loss … and thats the attitude some fans are expressing

positive is one thing but satisfied with a loss is unacceptable …regardless of preaseason

3 points is embarrasing … but I the play calling seemed refreshing, and Fraziers decisions to not kick field goals or challenge a couple plays is fine by me

what my problem is has to do with talent level …

and this is nothing more than an expression of my opinion but I dont think we can be content with any loss PERIOD

32. By skol patrol on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

preseason is only about deciding where people land on the depth chart. its not about winning or losing

33. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

All Im saying is as fans and as an organization and coaches we have to stop accepting failure … stop making excuses for a guy like Asher Allen

Allen is in his 3rd year and has had several starts, the question is wheres the progress? His times up he sucks we know he sucks yet we keep making excuses for him WE KEEP ACCEPTING HIS FAILURE

How many games before you knew Deon Sanders, Rod Woodson, Assante Samuel, Antoine Winfield, or even Cedrick Griffen were good?

Of those names Griffen might have taken a little longer but you knew he was on the way by year number 2 … and he was good from the start in year 3

Chris Cook in his second year was injured a lot last year SO I AM NOT GIVING UP ON HIM like others but Asher Allen should go somewhere else or be no higher than 5th on our depth chart … its unnacceptable for him to be last weeks starter

34. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Two teams both with new coaches who both finished 6-10 last season played saturday night

Vikings at Titans, one team looked good and one team didnt … 3 points is embarrasing

Luckily its preseason and there is hope, but we need to play a lot better in Seattle …. and Asher Allen should be no higher than 3rd string

35. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – Maybe you’d benefit by changing your strategy a bit. Try acting like a coach in the preseason trying to decide who among the current team deserves to be on the final roster. Tell us what you saw in some players that was encouraging, and tell us specifically what the weaknesses are and what you need to see out of players like Asher Allen to convince you that he still deserves a shot. Remember that he’s going to be a second or third stringer, so don’t set the bar at the same level as you would for Winfield and Griffin.

Personally, I just want to see a reduction in mistakes. He’s going to be covering #3 and #4 WRs, or TEs and RBs every now and then, so that shouldn’t be asking too much. Just stick close enough to your man that he doesn’t get big yards after the catch, which has been a big problem for the Vikings against this group of receivers in recent years.

I’d really like to see the backup corners be able to knock the ball down and even compete for a pick, but considering what we’ve had in the past, I’ll be satisfied with guys who are able to keep on top of their assigned man and make the QB think twice before throwing to the checkdown routes.

36. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … I have seen enough of Asher Allen, and if you want flowers and rainbows ill say it like this

Ashe Allen Is an Amazing #7 CB

Also Parody its not like 2011 preseason game 1 started my frusteration with the secondary … This is 3+ year old regurgitated frusteration , how can even the positive thinkers ignore a 3 year long problem?

37. By sandiamond on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Re: leslie’s presser

Only 1 fullback max
    He has heard the ramblings about C.Cook from all around. Cook in danger of moving to 3rd string imo
    He is hoping another DB will step up this week. Appears the coaches have the door open to acquire a secondary player
    Very impressed with the Coach today!!

38. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Parody your also in your argument accepting his failure by continuing to express how you would like to see him improve … how long will you accept what youve seen … Ive seen enough, time to let someone else pass or fail

Asher Allen failed

39. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – What I’m understanding from your reply is that there is no way that Asser Allen can convince you that he deserves to be a Nickel or Dime CB, or even a reserve at the position. That sounds very shortsighted of you, and I hope that others aren’t nearly as cruel to you when you’re trying to eliminate your own flaws.

40. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, I’m asking you to convince me why a man who is still younger than some of our rookies has no chance to improve his skills. So far you have been unable to even scratch the surface on that topic. I’m sorry to say it, but in my book that means you have earned an

<bEPIC FAIL!

41. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

EPIC FAIL!

42. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Parody … its the same argument we had about TJack, weve seen enough PERIOD

We know what Allen is and we know whats hes not …. Hes a depth guy , a body NOTHING MORE

Heres an example of a guy improving and deserving more opportunities … Hussien Abdullah … came in as a rookie free agent the same year we drafted Asher Allen , Allen has started many games more than Abdullah yet just by watching the games you can see Abdullah is on an incline as a proffesional and Allen looks the same as he did the first game I saw him NOTHING HAS PROGRESSED NOTHING

if you cant see with your own eyes Allen DOES NOT HAVE ” IT ” than Im sorry but its just simple game watching and seeing no improvement

3 years is long enough let some other team allow us to play pitch and catch against him IM TIRED OF FAILURE … HE FAILED

good grief this is TJack all over again … how about we fail as a team for 8 more years to make sure he wont be good just to be fair to the guy one more year …. NOT FROM ME , IM TIRED OF HIS NO TALENT

and for the record Asher Allen is better than me … but i had to tell somebody that same thing about TJack last year

You either see improvement or you dont ….. I DONT

43. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

im sorry but Abdullah has 1 more season than Asher …. but it doesnt change the fact

44. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I need to stop trying to debate with uneducated minds. I make a simple request and instead of showing me their football IQ, all I receive is increased hostility.

45. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Asher Allen is officially my 2011 version of TJack … it took me 4 months of arguing before people accepted it

and believe it or not I HOPE IM WRONG because that would help us WIN, and WINNING IS MORE IMPORTANT than me being right

but Im 90% certain Asher Allen is nothing more than an amazing #7 CB and people will be saying the same thing by week 16 just like they did with TJack

if Asher Allen is any better than our 5th best corner we have a lack of talent

46. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

lol ok parody , you said nothing intelligent in your defense of Allen

“o i would like to see him cut down on mistakes” LOL

LAME Coach Childress

47. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

There’s that increased hostility again. Try reading a little more closely and you’ll see I’m not attempting to defend Allen. I’m only asking you that if you’re going to rant so haughtily against Allen that you try to give valid arguments for your hatred.

48. By Rocksalt on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

RIGHT ON SHAWN!

49. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

o parody if there was a colum in the stat page for how many catches his guy had I would post it for you bu since theres not i cant tell you more than what i see

i am far from hostile right now … a lot more CAPS in hostile posts, my caps where for emphasis

I am not a coach so i cant break down things like footwork and hip turns but I CAN SEE hes easy to pick on … I see a weak link and you will to someday

50. By Don on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry but i would have to go with “shawn” on this one Asher Allen never had a wow factor..But again this is my team and i’m hoping he can prove me wrong..

51. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

So Shawn, since you are accepting that you can’t really describe why you think Allen is a horrible #4 CB, can you accept that coach Frazier, (a DB from a Super Bowl winning defense), will be able to use his knowledge and the assistance of the coaching staff that he’s put together to analyze Allen and the other DBs, and select the best men for the job?

52. By Don on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

come on now Parody..Frazier been here for a few years he knows what’s up..I just dont think we want to spend any money..are secondary been weak for how long 3 -4 years..09 season too..its just are pass rush covered allot of it up..we need a shut down safety..i would love to see are rookie safety play with starters next game..

53. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

lol no Parody … just because TJacks on the team doesnt mean hes good

err Ahser Allen

clearly your only arguing about this for the sake of arguing, Asher Allen sucks

54. By Don on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

yea we lose ok thats fine its only preseason..some players looked good some didn’t..asher looked the same since we had him..BAD..i had faith in cook only because of his height..but man there are so many thing he needs to work on..just never like allen never..teams always go after him..

55. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

right Don they always go after him and the majority of the time Allen gets beat

56. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – So that tells me that you are smarter than coach Frazier and his staff. Why keep a player on the team if other guys are better than he is? Why don’t you go apply for Frazier’s job. I’m sure you’ll get it in a heartbeat.

57. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

sigh Parody

How do you know Adrian Peterson is good? A-He makes plays

How do you know Jared Allen is good? A-He makes plays

How do you know Asher Allen sucks? A- he doesnt make plays

its pretty simple

58. By Parody on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

That’s really oversimplifying it Shawn. Peterson is good because he is fast, agile, powerful and has a motor that doesn’t quit. Jared is good because he is strong, quick and a leader on the field. Those are both extreme examples. I don’t expect a #4 CB to be anywhere near the same level as AP or Jared Allen. If you expect him to be routinely knocking down throws and grabbing interceptions, you are due to be severely disappointed with any team that you follow.

I explained earlier what I’d like to see out of my #4 CB, and I see no reason that Asher is incapable of performing at that level. It may be the case the he won’t live up to it, but I won’t write him off at least until I see him flat out embarass himself in a regular season game.

If you expect something different, I’d love to hear it. But simply “making plays” is far too vague. Remember that he was thrust into the #2 spot before, which set him up against much better receivers than he was ready for. Asher may never be good enough to be a true #2 CB, so using his failure in this role as the reason to write him off all together is unjust.

59. By CA Norwegian on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I am sorry that Shawn is an honest but frustrated observer. I have been arguing for DB’s and the OL, during the rebuilding opportunities. Plus there were some proven receivers out there. If Asher actually did suck, like a vaccuum, he might come up with more interceptions. Perhaps Shawn might say he blows… My observation is that we have a formidible passing division and much finer DB(s) would have been a worthwhile investment, but they want to grow their own…. I will root, but be disgruntled also, should nothing change. God Bless Winfield and Cedric on the positive side.

60. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

SPECIAL TEAMS………….WOW………IF THAT’S ALL WE TO HANG OUR HATS ON……WOW!

GOING TO SEE ALOT OF THAT SQUAD THIS YEAR ………AFTER PUNTS AND THE OTHER TEAM SCORES! LOL………BUT NOT REALLY!

61. By Old School on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike, I think it’s great that there may be certain players that are looking great in your opinion, but as a whole……………looks like the same old….same old!

SORRY! 1 or 2 or 3 guys are not going to turn what I see around! There are some really bad draft picks over the last couple of years that we are now paying for………………..like the Chris Cooks of the world and they need to be cut…..if we are going to “Rebuild” lets just do it and do it right and not kid ourselves!

62. By Tom on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Being OK with a preseason loss is one thing, but being OK with the lack of wraping up and bringing people to the ground on defense is a totally different thing. I think you have to expect a little damage after a short offseason and no OTA’s but C’MON MAN, not knowing how to wrap up and bring people to the ground is like elementary/ jr high stuff. I think it will take another game or 2 and more reps for the 1’a to get some chemestry going but I think we will be just fine going into San Diego wk 1.

63. By Tom on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

1’s

64. By Rocksalt on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Kluwe had a godd night………however, if you are always punting the ball that means you are not converting 3rd downs on offense

65. By Rocksalt on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

good, not godd

66. By Tom on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

I agree, our 3rd down conversions have to get better. We seemed to always have 3rd and short but we can’t move the chains and I think that has to do with our offensive line. They have to start moving people so our running backs can get the ball up field. It sounds like Herrera is going to be out at least another week so Cook and/or Degeare are going to have to step up and prove they are in the NFL for a reason. The game begins and ends up front on both sides of the ball and from the looks of week 1, we could stand to improve up front on both sides of the ball, granted niether Allen nor Williams played week 1.