Competition On Offensive Line Remains Thick; Practice Notes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 15, 2011 – 3:05 pm

The Vikings returned to the practice fields on Monday afternoon after playing in their first preseason game of 2011 on Saturday night in Tennessee. Training camp has shifted from the University of Minnesota, Mankato to Winter Park’s outdoor practice fields at the Vikings home facility.

“It was nice to be able to have a practice here at Winter Park on our field,” Frazier said after practice. “The first time we’ve actually worked with our players on this field. It’s hard to believe…it’s what, August 15 and this is our first time standing on this field together as a team. It was good work for us, good for our coaches to be around our players in this environment and it feels good to be back at Winter Park.”

Aside from being back “home” again for practice, it was also nice to see RG Anthony Herrera back in the action. Herrera didn’t participate in the Mankato portion of training camp and he didn’t play in Saturday night’s preseason opener because of injuries, but on Monday Herrera was back in the action and he was working with the first-team offense.

Herrera wasn’t the only one working with the first-team at RG, though. In fact, I noticed quite a bit of rotation at first-team RG and at second-team RT. Herrera and Scott Kooistra spent time with the first-team at RG, while Chris DeGeare, who started at RG on Saturday night, was actually playing RT with the second-team. Also playing with the first-team at RG was Ryan Cook.

It was a bit of a surprise to see Kooistra at RG because he’s played primarily OT during training camp. He does have experience playing guard, though, so it wouldn’t be a total surprise to see him make the move inside. For now, Frazier indicated Kooistra will concentrate mainly on OT.

At this point Herrera appears to be the team’s choice at RG, but there is uncertainty with whether he’ll be able to play by Week 1. With that being the case, both DeGeare and Cook are also in the mix for the starting position.

“You don’t want to eliminate Ryan Cook,” Frazier explained. “Cook still has an opportunity to compete for that position and it’s competition right now because we’re not certain where Anthony is going to be. We just have to see how he progresses.”

Expect to see the Vikings continue to experiment with different combinations along the first- and second-team offensive lines; that’s why we have training camp and the preseason. The goal is to get the best five guys playing along the first-team offensive line and then a group of reserves who have position flexibility.

Let’s get to a few practice notes…

– The Vikings worked for about an hour and 10 minutes under mostly cloudy skies, warm temperatures and a slight breeze. Frazier had his players working in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts and the team worked in front of part of the Vikings ownership group.

– After a quick warm-up and individual position drills, there was a special teams period. It was interesting to watch RB Adrian Peterson working on the side with RBs coach James Saxon during the special teams period. Obviously Peterson doesn’t play on special teams, but it was good to see him and coach Saxon work on some footwork-related issues during the time off.

– Of the seven players who were held out of Saturday’s preseason game, only LB Kenny Onatolu and TE Visanthe Shiancoe didn’t practice on Monday. Onatolu continues to be sidelined by a foot injury and Shiancoe tweaked his hamstring late in the Mankato portion of training camp. Frazier said the goal is to get Onatolu back for the Dallas preseason game on August 27. Shiancoe remains day-to-day.

– S Mistral Raymond, who had a terrific training camp in Mankato but who also tweaked his hamstring on the final play of the final practice in Mankato, did not play on Saturday night. But he was back at practice on Monday and Frazier said the rookie felt no residual effects of his injury during Monday’s work.

– Also sitting out practice on Monday were: LB Heath Farwell (hamstring), DE D’Aundre Reed (calf) and OL Thomas Welch (glute). Frazier described Reed as day-to-day and he also said Welch is expected to be able to practice on Tuesday.

– FB Ryan D’Imperio made a nice one-handed grab on the first play of 7-on-7 drills. He was circling out to the right flats and McNabb led him a touch too much. But D’Imperio stuck his left hand out and was able to haul in the pass. Another one-handed catch was made in 7-on-7 and it was a familiar face doing it. TE Kyle Rudolph, who had another one-handed grab earlier in training camp, was running down the left seam and McNabb led him perfectly. LB Mark Washington was in coverage and actually was shadowing Rudolph perfectly. But Rudolph went full extension to the ground and came up with the one-handed grab.

– Speaking of LB Mark Washington, he got his hands on an INT during 7-on-7.

– WR Bernard Berrian made an impressive catch in the middle of the field. Rookie CB Brandon Burton was in on the coverage and was draped all over Berrian, but McNabb forced the pass into Berrian’s area and #87 came up with the grab. Another impressive play was turned in toward the end of practice and it was rookie QB Christian Ponder who did it. He lasered in a pass to Juaquin Iglesias on a deep out route down the right sideline. The pass was perfectly placed, right past the out-stretched arms of the defender but close enough to the field so that Iglesias could make the catch and get both feet in bounds.

Tags: , , , ,

82 Responses to “Competition On Offensive Line Remains Thick; Practice Notes”

1. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Ponder and Iglesias had a nice hook up Saturday night as well …

2. By Mark B on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

From what I’ve seen of Ponder so far actually has me excited. You can count me among those that thought the Vikes were reaching a little for him when they drafted him (and for the record, I might have went with Dalton outta TCU – especially with the McNabb trade) but his play is beginning to change my mind.

Getting a healthy Herrera back should help shore up the right side of the OL, which frees up some guys to move around and show they can play either guard or tackle, left or right. More than any other place on the field, having guys on the OL that can play more than one position is beginning to be more of a requirement than a luxury.

3. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall – Your description of Berrian’s impressive catch is pretty vague. Just what was so impressive about it? Was he diving for the ball, did he have to reach over Burton for it, was it thrown behind him, or was it just impressive that Berrian was able to pull the ball in for once?

Personally, I’m still not sold on Berrian. With a few of the younger guys starting to build a decent highlight reel of impressive catches, at the moment I still feel more comfortable cutting ties with Bernard and giving someone else a shot.

4. By Carl K on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the notes Mike!
    Mark Washington also had a couple tackles in the last game.

Mike, which rookie LB is standing out the most between Mark Washington, Ross Homan and John Gilmore? Did they all get equal playing time in the last game? Which of those guys can also play special team?

5. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Parody …. LOL, thats a good question :)

To me its impressive to just hear Berrian caught a ball, doesnt matter if Burton was walking by him while the qb was doing warm up tosses or not BERRIAN CAUGHT A BALL ….. thats impressive :)

6. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Ponder and J.I. have made some decent plays together. He may very well become Ponder favorite target. Keep whoever makes the Qb of the future happy.

7. By Kyle on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Mark Washington isn’t a rookie. He was a rookie LB for the cardinals last year, but. was released.

8. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Did any one see why Fusco was flaged? I think the ref was hallucinating.

9. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

You know, I hope Berrian reads these comments. Maybe it might motivate him to be the threat we signed him for. You know, a little extra fire.

10. By Rocksalt on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

HAHA, Shawn-
    Berrian caught a ball! Hooray!

11. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

What is with the word choice in the title– competition remains “thick.” Really? Gives me the willies.

12. By Garrett on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I think the packers pay berrian to play bad for us…no that is giving him too much credit for him to effectively do anything

13. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

By the way- Shawn, I do agree– it is not good to lose. Not good for confidence, and not a good feeling. But I did do some research and the teams that won all their preseason games often have so so seasons and do not even make the playoffs. I read that when the Patriots were 16-0, they were 2-2 in the preseason. Had Saturday’s game been for keeps, trust me, Vikings would have been a different animal.

14. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

What a bunch of bullies. Berrian is a good receiver.

15. By Shawn on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus … right on , I understand its just preseason … and I just took that loss harder than I should have because it just looked to similar to how we lost last season

I like Coach Frazier and cant think of a single deciision hes made that has upset me …. IMO I thought we reached on Ponder initially but I think the QB position has more than just measurements and Frazier and the staff did a good job seeing Ponders intangables

16. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – I was just trying to slip some humor into my comment. I want to give Berrian a chance, but from what I’ve seen so far, I am more impressed by youngsters like Iglesias, J.Johnson, Camarillo, Aromashodu, Holmes, and even Dominique Johnson. Even without Berrian, it’s likely that one or more of the aforementioned guys won’t make the team.

17. By Rocksalt on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

IMO-
    Practice hard=Play hard…..
    practice like you mean it=play like you mean it
    practice like you don’t care=play like you don’t care

18. By Rocksalt on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

BTW Berrian is one of a number of “players” who must prove themselves to everyone: fans, team, coaches, pundits…..

19. By NY Viking on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m so glad to hear A. Herrara is back. That changes everything on the OLine. With Anthony back, it puts the strength back into the offense and frees up other players. I’m more concerned about the DB play than anything else. As far as losing Sat., not concerned at all. This team is loaded with outstanding players. Ponder lookin better every day too. Go Vikes.

20. By Devin on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I still think Berrian is going to have a good year……no matter what anyone says. Good attitude and willing to do what is asked…it is his time to shine. Offensive line looked a little week in the pre season game but it will improve greatly my the time regular season starts…I am not worried. I am afraid of the DB and we are going to see alot of teams passing on us again this year. Seen alot o Ponder in college and know that he is the real deal….QB of the future if not by mid season this year if our record is something like 3 and 6….he will be brought in….no question about it. WIth an old QB starting I am thinking of alot of INT’S…and that will be the difference in wins and losses rather than the defense giving up a bomb or two.

21. By AmishViking on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I think the Vikings would of been fine with any of the qb’s that were drafted. They all will probably be pretty good. Ponder may end up having the “it” factor…who knows. As for Berrian I am sorry the staff has made up their minds so early that he was on the team. It is time to move on and we will probably let go a WR that could have a bigger up side in 2-3 years. The best news is we finally have a good coach. In 3-4 years I bet he starts getting the type of praise the top coaches in the NFL get.

22. By moorevikes on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike W. please stop trying to sell us fans on B. Berrian. I understand you have a man-crush on the dude but it’s most likely going to bite you in the arse when either A) he under-performs (like he has the last 2 or 3 years) or B) gets hurt (like he has the last 2 or 3 years). We as fans appreciate all you do by keeping us informed in the day to day going-ons, but, (and i can’t speak for everyone) quit trying to turn everything into rainbows and unicorns. We are not stup-id people man.

23. By Woodboat on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Wait…what? I musta missed something. Since when has Herrera become a RG that anyone would be excited about. Even when healthy he’s a weak link on the O-Line. I guess he’s just as effective as Loadholt that some people think is a great RT.

Personally, I was VERY discouraged with the starting O Line play on saturday. They were on their backs more than they were on their feet.

I have to admit that I’ve been backing Sullivan as our center… I don’t know why I never really noticed how freakin small dude looks next to the guards, and more importantly, lined up across from the DTs.

If our O Line doesn’t dramatically improve, this is going to be a season to forget.

24. By Woodboat on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I was pretty disappointed that the VIkes didn’t make a play for Gabbert during the draft, but after reading about his play here and watching the kid play on saturday, I’m pretty stoked about the pick. I don’t want to see him thrown into the starting role right away as some have suggested, but we just may have found our guy… Lord knows we’re due.

I really like the coaching staff. I thoroughly enjoy listening to the pressers of Frazier and both our coordinators. I like a coach that isn’t afraid to throw in a modest expletive in during an interview, and both our OC and DC can get it done :) I really like Singletary being on the staff… he’s going to play a big part in shaping this team before all is said and done.

Not having our starting CBs on the field on saturday was the only reason I wasn’t burning my Vikes gear after watching the completely dismal play by Allen and Cook. Those guys are just plain bad, especially Allen… he is horrible. I hope that our starters get it done this year and stay off the PUP and IR, or we are done.

Mayock claimed that one of the fellas competing for a MLB position is a musclebound 295#s with speed. Man, find a slot for that guy somewhere… maybe he can play on the OL.

25. By Woodboat on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

BTW, I was wondering…. if we have such a deep talent pool at LB and our DL isn’t what we’d like…. would it be worth considering running a 3-4 defense? Our D Lineman probably aren’t who a coach would pick to eat up blocks to free up the LBs, but it would be cool to see them work a little 3-4 in to mix things up. ANYTHING to put a little pressure on the QB. I wasn’t thrilled to see whichever DE it was playing in Allens spot dropping into coverage and looking like a drunken bear out in space. Gotta be able to scheme something better than that.

26. By Woodboat on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I say they pick which WRs are not going to make the final cut and let them play a rock-paper-scissors tourney to see who gets Berrians job. Any of them is going to have more upside than BB.

27. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat – I think we’re more solid at DL than at LB. We had our top 2-linemen sitting out the entire game and were still able to generate decent pressure. I just don’t think that Griffen is suited to drop back into coverage. Not yet anyways, but a similar play has resulted in more than one INT for Jared.

28. By tru-speed on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@woodboat! Do you watch the vikings tape?

29. By tru-speed on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@woodboat! Are you a football coach?

30. By tru-speed on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@woodboat! I bet your lonely,crabby, and complain about your life get over it!

31. By tru-speed on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@woodboat! debbie downer!

32. By PBizzle on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat I agree with your just about everything you posted. I dont think the 3-4 would be wise to make permanent but it would be nice to have Jasper B. jam the line and Erin H. coming around the edge behind Jared A. on occasion. That play with the DE dropping in coverage was probably just to see if he could do it like Jared which I guess by your post is not the case. In regards to Bernard B. it makes me sick to think the Vikes pay him and Sidney R. is in Seattle. Rice was a ball attacking receiver that made Tavaris J. look good. Rice, Harvin, and Jenkins sounds completely different than Harvin, Jenkins, and Berrian.

33. By tru-speed on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

People it was the first PRE-SEASON!! GAME we are not trying to win preseason game’s! we are trying to see what player’s fit on are TEAM!

34. By PBizzle on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

In regards to the DB’s it has to be better with the top two in. As far as the OL same goes for Johnson needs to get back in form fast or im going to start thinking he was leaning on Saturdays direction in Indy. I love the coaching staff but maybe its time for new DB and OL coaches. Dont know much about them. I just hope its not because theres not much to say about them.

35. By PBizzle on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@tru-speed Im picking up what your putting down just letting it out. Wouldn’t be worried if the division wasn’t stacked with the Super Bowl champs, Lions on the up and coming, and Bears who im hoping continue to have poor line play.

36. By tru-speed on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Rice did attack the ball! but has NO speed(speed kills) he ran a 4.6 40 and wanted way to much money! but yeah ill miss him!

37. By PBizzle on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Good to know guess thats why he always had to jump over DB’s

38. By Arrow86 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Tonight the Saints released one of their tackles who has started every game since 2006. I don’t know any linemen’s names other than our Vikings. I wonder if bringing this guy in could shore up some of our line issues?

39. By Mike B. on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey all the weaknesses pointed out by others are valid. Fred got it right about the OL and it’s been that way since last season. Defensive backfield has been a weakness for the last 3 years. This needs to be addressed and I am not sold that the players on the team are the answer to make us a better team. if they are they need to dig a lot deeper. The team is more focused and ready to play doesn’t mean they are better players. I don’t think we have our number one WR yet, but he might be in the group we have. Seattle is going to play Saturday to win and it won’t be oh this is just a preseason game. We need to start a consistant pattern of winning. Have a great dayh

40. By Arrow86 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I was really suprised where both Cook and Cedric have had some pretty serious knee injuries, that the Vikes didn’t draft corners and Olinemen through the draft, but that position in the draft may have had a weak class. If you draft a weak player in the upper rounds, they’re going to get paid well and a spot on the roster.

41. By David on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure what game others were watching but the Tennessee Titans ran and passed on us at will. Did anyone else notice this besides myself? That is the area that has me concerned. Especially when it appears that Kevin Williams will miss the first 4 games of the season.

42. By Frederick Jones on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@David,

They only scored 14 points. Neither team rolled up many yards either.

They did run on us very well in the 1st quarter. The Viking did have a lot of people sitting out,especially on defense.

It’s too early to write off the season.

43. By Frederick Jones on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

The long TD pass play the Titans got was almost a busted play.

They were lucky.

Now the Vikings must start creating their own luck.

This may have been a good wake up call for Minnesota.

44. By David on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t say anything about writing off the season but I did notice that it wasn’t mentioned much about the way they ran on us. We are the run stuffing defense and if we are to be contenders it needs to continue.

45. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

In regards to the #1 WR controversy, I think we may just be sticking it out for this year with average players at the position, knowing there’s a good chance that we can get a top notch player in free agency next year.

It sounds like a longshot, but Larry Fitzgerald has made a few hints that he wants to come and play for his original home team, for which he was a ball boy back in the day. That’s right, it’s the Vikings. He’s in the final year of his contract, which apparantly has no trade, no franchise clauses in it. So IF Fitz truly wants to be a Viking, it will be 100% his choice. I’d really love to see him in purple next year, so I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment, but here’s hoping!

46. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Fred – You’re right, the Titans were lucky in the fact that they were playing against inexperienced backup players on that play. That route would have been Winfield’s responsibility in a normal game, and he’s too smart to bite on the fumble while letting his man run loose. What we saw was a mistake by a rookie QB followed by a bigger mistake by a CB who by all rights is also a rookie since he missed most of his first season with injuries.

47. By Frederick Jones on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@all Vikings fans,

It’s easy to be led the wrong way by what people say here about individual Vikings. Sometimes I think bloggers say things out of anger, and get reckless with their words. I know I have!!!

Kleinsasser had at least two great blocks in the series he played in vs. Titans.
    His receiving skills are fine.

We do not get to watch the films!!! lol

48. By David on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Fred Jones

This is true. Basketball players don’t make all their shots on the court so we have to give a veteran like Kleinsasser a break.

49. By Frederick Jones on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Parody,

Good to hear from you.

I’ve skipped reading a lot of the blogs since the bloggers are so angry.

Heck most years I don’t even watch the pre-season games. We are worrying way too much!!!

50. By Frederick Jones on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@David,

Good point. Even a few good players can make a difference.

I don’t think it was a well played game by either team.

Is it going to be a skillful game when you play 85 guys?

51. By David on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Fred Jones

Probably not but I sure hope they beat the Seahawks. I used to work for them for 5 years and I don’t want to have to listen to all my former workmates mouths if we lose. Ha! Ha! if we can run the ball and stop the run this year we should have a good chance to be in the playoffs.

52. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I expect a winning season. Watch out for McNabb– he has a lot to prove, and, for us, he is relatively young for someone with such high credentials. He will play on a caliber parallel to another great QB who was thrown away by different teams– I expect a 2009 season.

53. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

54. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

VIKING SHIP ON A GRAND PORTAGE TO INDY!!!

55. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

THE SHIP SAILS ONCE AGAIN!!!

56. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

57. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I love it– the site keeps chastising me– SLOW DOWN, You are posting too quickly!

58. By Titus on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Okay, might as well make it 7 in a row. Does anyone find it strange that we just had number 4 at QB, now we have number 5, and then number 7 is waiting in the wings for the torch to be passed? What happen to number 6?

59. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – I tried to look it up, and it seems that #6 is just not a number with good credentials for QBs. I couldn’t even find a historic QB who wore the number. Jay Cutler is about the only credible example, and the jury is having a tough time deciding just how credible he is yet.

60. By Parody on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Just for proof that Jay Cutler isn’t all that spectacular, do a Google image search on him. I found A LOT more results of some bubbly muscle builder than of a Chicago QB.

61. By PAUL M. on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

OF COURSE WE’RE IN THE EARLY PRE-SEASON! OF COURSE THE TEAM IS TRYING TO FIND THE BEST 5 FOR THE O-LINE! OF COURSE, AS MIKE W PUTS IT, THE COMPETITION REMAINS THICK FOR THE O-LINE!

BUT NONE OF THE ABOVE IS THE ACTUAL POINT!

62. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I have chatted with Jay Cutler the body builder at Golds Gym in Las Vegas … nice guy

63. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

titus for a half second maybe longer I didnt know what number Ponder was wearing and had that same thought thinking it would be weird if he wore #6 … and when I saw he was #7, I let it go

64. By PAUL M. on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I’VE BEEN BLOCKED FROM CONTINUING

65. By PAUL M. on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

THE POINT IS THAT THE OVERALL O-LINE TALENT LEVEL SPECIFICALLY AT LT, RG & C IS SUSPECT — AVERAGE AT BEST! AND I’M INCLUDING LOADHOLT.

66. By PAUL M. on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I’M TRULY CONCERNED — NOT THAT WE HAVEN’T FOUND THE 5 BEST FOR THE O-LINE YET — BUT THAT OUR 5 BEST WILL BE AVERAGE AT BEST!

67. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@woodboat … good stuff mostly

I also think about the 3-4 because I have thought our secondary issues have more to do with the cover 2 system than the DBs …. I have no idea if thats true but I always get frusterated watching QBs rip our secondary apart so I just wonder

it seems to be the trend … Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Patriots mix it up, Dallas, Texans are making the switch …. probably more but I cant think of them

but then I think it would be sac religous in a way to our history …. weve had lots of good DLs , always 4 man fronts

68. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

and I think Herrera is better than some fans give him credit for …. hes just missed a lot of games due to injury, which makes him an easy target

69. By Shawn on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Fred hows the move going? and I hope its for good reasons with all the foreclosures in this country I hope you dont experiance that …

70. By daniel on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@david how did the titans run all over us when they only put up 14 points.
    i dont no if you guys were watching the same game i was. i saw are team play okay whit out Awinfelid Cgiffen Jallen Kwilliams Apeterson Vshaicoe Habdullah. and Aherrera. the vikings took out most of there starters in the first Quarter.
    while titians play alot whit there starters and we did okay against that.dont need to panic.

71. By daniel on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

the vikings can still use a solid db like sharper or even trade for samuel that will help us a lot but i heard the vikings are in dept with stadium and are not going to shop for any body that cost to much.

72. By Mike B. on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel The vikings are having salary cap issues not a debt issue. The team has a lot of salary. They are looking for value trades and looking for character. I agree that we need some additional help at Safety although not Sharper.

73. By Philly Viking on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Told ya’ll should’ve brought in Carlos Rodgers at cb would’ve been a very nice upgrade why we done hear anything about Michael Jenkins? and why is TJ Houzmanzadh is still out there unsigned? If I was Joe Webb I would go out for Wr he should know the whole route tree being a Qb right? cause he will never be a starting Qb in the nfl but raise your stock and be a two position player cause if I was him I would really want to get out there on the field for playing time.

74. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb is a quarterback. He should play quarterback because it’s a complicated position. We need a quarterback, not another wide receiver.

It’s sickening how fans choose Ponder over Webb, when we have hardly seen either play in a real NFL game!!!

Donavan McNabb is the starter, and will do well as long as he doesn’t get injured.

I realize this will INFLAME some fans. Just think of it like politics, our reasoning doesn’t always make sense. You have your prejudices, others have theirs.

75. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

They are getting rid of the Fullback in the NFL.

Perhaps 20 years from now they will get rid of running backs altogether.

Joe Webb may be a pioneer of the NO BACK OFFENSE.

“Let Joe Webb be Joe Webb”

76. By craig on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I think they should of got ride of him last year their a re way better rookies who want to play. This guy is over paid and a waste of a roster spot, look hard at your other rookies on the team .I think booker is a better choice and I sure there are others on the team that could play better them bernard.

77. By Frederick Jones on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings have not made their last trade this season.

ANYONE on the Vikings could be traded to solve some
    of our weak areas.

There may be some crying and gnashing of teeth.

I hope it isn’t me doing that!!!

78. By From the grassy noll on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Wobschall made a point of saying the team practiced in front of “members of the ownership group.” I know Zygi Wilf pops in and out in Mankato, what should we interpret from “Wobs” observation. Are they concerned about how the Vikings played Saturday night? Are we looking at a trade of one of our vets? Are they actively involved in how the coaches set the roster? Is this unusual for them to come to practice?

79. By sandiamond on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Smoke the Seahawks! we need a good perfromance this weekend and everybody will relax some……… dig it?

fox preseason feature game thursday night Pitt / Phil, not sure about this game in Minn tho

Frederick you the man!

80. By DuaneN on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

LOL @ grassy noll. Them owners be planning something.

81. By scottso on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Bernard caught a pass? REALLY!?

82. By jimmy f on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply