Vikings Set To Break Camp, Travel To Nashville

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 12, 2011 – 6:48 am

Time flies when you’re having fun. The Vikings are already set to break 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp on the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato as they prepare to travel to Nashville, Tennessee today for their preseason opener against the Titans on Saturday night.

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier held a press conference after Thursday’s morning practice and was clearly satisfied with his first training camp as an NFL head coach.

“I’m really pleased with the way our training camp has gone,” Frazier said. “The fan support has been outstanding, evidenced by what’s behind us right now. We’ve got in a lot of good work throughout this training camp. The weather conditions have been ideal. You couldn’t ask for a better situation if you’re a player than what we have right here from a weather standpoint and the support that we’ve gotten from our fans.”

If you remember, the labor unrest between the NFL and the NFLPA threatened training camps across the League and nearly forced the Vikings to have their entire training camp at Winter Park rather than coming down to Mankato for 12 days. As it turned out, the Vikings waited as long as possible and were able to have training camp in Mankato, a result that benefited a lot of parties.

“I’m just so thankful that our ownership was patient throughout this process so that we could come down here to Minnesota State here in Mankato,” Frazier explained. “The atmosphere has just been terrific for our players as we prepare for the 2011 season.”

While the Mankato version of training camp is now complete, training camp will actually continue for a couple more weeks at Winter Park. The team will travel to Nashville today, play their first preseason game on Saturday night and then return to Winter Park for the remainder of camp.

“I think a lot of the things we tried to get accomplished here, some of our goals in Mankato, I think we just about got everything done that we wanted to get done as we get ready to embark on our trip back to Winter Park and prepare for the regular season,” Frazier said. “I am very, very thankful to our fans for their support, a great training camp for us as a team.”

Click here for information on where you can watch this year’s preseason action.

Tags:

40 Responses to “Vikings Set To Break Camp, Travel To Nashville”

1. By DRS on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

2. By DRS on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Go Vikings, show them what U have. Lets see what the rookies can do.

3. By Noah on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

i think that Ponder and Kyle will have a great connection in minnesota for years to come i see them winning the super bowl in two to three years there really doing there job in the draft they have picked winners keep it up vikes

4. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the Info DRS.

The Vikings probably need to keep/start winning if they want to stay in Minnesota !

6. By Arrow86 on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

It may be really early, but I think Saturday nights game against the Titans will give us a taste of what to look forward to throughout the season. Titans have a new QB Hasselbeck or Locker, they do not have CJ2K yet, so I’m anticipating our defense will look great.

7. By Mark B on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

CJ2K is one thing in my mind – overrated. Sure, the guy has break away speed, but if you take away the edge and play disciplined, gap control defense he doesn’t have the power to run thru wet TP.

With or without CJ2K I say Vikes roll ….

8. By Rudso on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I want to see Ponder light it up with 100+ yards and 2 TDs this game, with 1 of the TDs to Kyle Rudolph. Would be nice to see Joe run one for a TD. I can’t wait to see what the rookies will do and which WR will step it up.

9. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

The guys on PTI just said that Tavaris Jackson stinks. Haven’t most of us been saying that for years?

10. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Can we skip pre-season and play for keeps?

11. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

2 pre-season games is plenty.

12. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Half a pre-season game is more than plenty– that is all I may watch tomorrow.

13. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

You’re right Titus, did you see where Oakland drew 15k last night?

14. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

What you talkin’ bout Willis?

15. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

15,000 at the Raiders game last night.

16. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Or, if you prefer, 45,000 didn’t go.

17. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Oh, I see K and I think money. Thought someone got fined, maybe Al Davis.

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

How capitalistic of you, Titus.

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Nothing wrong with that, though.

20. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Right on, Nova.

21. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I cannot wait for the real season— I think our team chemistry from the owners and coaches to all the players will be a difference maker– all the analysts will be so surprised in a few months.

22. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I like your optimism Titus. I think our real strength is our coaching staff.

23. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

We have every right to be optimistic– Childress and Favre are gone. I thought Favre was one of the greatest, but he was not over the injury to his ankle, and he really was never 100% last year. This team will go far this year. Mark my words.

24. By Steve on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I think 7 and 9 is about the best we can expect this year.

25. By Daniel on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I Just am so Thankful That the season is starting. I remember when The lockout happenend to baseball, and So much time was lost and so much feel was stolen. I`ve been to many games with the twins, and could not wait to hear Kurby Puckett`s name blasted out in the metrodome. Grampa loved the twins and I picked up from that. I hope my kids grasp what love I have for Minn Vikes. and how blessed we ALL are to enjoy freedom in this great contry of ours and football in America. We are Very luck to enjoy this and should be thankful this season is on and not put off because of greed.

26. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Superbowl bound!

27. By shukin on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Fred, your OLine worries will dissipate tomorow Baroon!

28. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Tampa and KC are looking real good.

29. By Arrow86 on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I’d like to think I’m optimistic. I think it will be a really good game if the Vikings score 17 points. The reason I’m not seeing more points is: Adrian Peterson will probably only play 1 maybe 2 series. 2) Everyone is learning a new offensive system. 3) A lot of new players on the offensive side of the ball. Hopefully I’m wrong and the Vikes score 45!

30. By michael.sims on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

can you send me a football sind by the whole team andress11765 xeon blv northwest coonrapids number 736-742-6053 come to my birtheday plaeas i will do any thing any thing pleas send me V.I.P pase pleas i wil do any thing for just all that plase.

31. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder is going to shine tomorrow night.

32. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

@Shukin,

I hope you are right about the offensive line. Perhaps Dr. Love will enjoy some pancakes at Nashville!

I look forward to Marcus Sherels making the Vikings this year. Perhaps he’ll even get a start or two. He comes from an athletic family, his brother Mike had a tryout at LB with the Vikings. Mike Sherels was a hitter like no one else !

Marcus Sherels is quick and fearless. He could be what they call a “sleeper.”

He was the only one who got an interception last pre-season. I was disappointed when he didn’t make the team. It’s not like track where if you have the best time, that’s all that matters.

33. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Nova,

Glad to see you back.

I would estimate that about 40% of the classic cars I see on the internet have Nova Scotia license plates.

I know I’ve asked you this question before, but do they have better garages, more money, time, or what, in Nova Scotia to restore all those old cars?

34. By Frederick Jones on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Marcus Sherels is #35 and plays cornerback. Last year he was mostly on the taxi squad. He has been working hard to get in shape for football.

35. By Titus on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Anyone see that Tampa–KC game? I watched some only because we face both teams this season. Our schedule is no cake walk, but I think we can potentially beat any of the teams on the schedule– Better get Fred Jones working on the Oline– that is where it all begins.

36. By Carl Brodin on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Why did the Vikings go out and get this CB Tony Carter instead of S Taylor Mays. Most of the Vikings moves make sense but i did not see the need to add another CB. That one is a real head scratcher. I’m looking forward to listening to the Vikings on line. Nothing like a Vikings game being called by Paul Allen. Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By Titus on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

As Dennis Green said– NO ROOM FOR CRYBABIES!

38. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Fred, glad to be back! ……It’s hard to say exactly why so many classic cars have Nova Scotia plates, but I know for a fact, from travelling the province for many, many years, that almost all of these cars come from the rural areas. People in N.S. love older, classic cars and if you drive around the province it seems that every second garage has a ’57 Chevy or ’69 Challenger or something vintage parked in it. The big problem used to be rusting, due to the salt air, so people always babied their vehicles. I used to own a 383 ’70 Cuda, but then I got married and that went. Everything worked out, however, I eventually traded in the wife for a nice ‘Vette.

39. By sandiamond on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus TB/KC watched it all. Chiefs only played cassel one series but it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Some of their players are overweight and out of shape. all about #5 and the TB defense dominated the entire game start to finish
    I hope our #5 QB can resemble this stud