Assessing The Defensive Line And Tight End Positions

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 9, 2011 – 4:18 pm

Over the next five days on the vikings.com Blog, we’ll breakdown the Vikings roster position-by-position to give fans a comprehensive assessment of the team as the first preseason game – this Saturday night in Tennessee – approaches. Click here to read Monday’s breakdown of the offensive line. Up next is the defensive line and tight ends.

From the moment the Vikings acquired DE Jared Allen before the 2008 season, the defensive line has been a strength and it’s a position that fans didn’t really worry about watching during training camp. The starters were set in stone and any talented players beyond the starters were just gravy.

Heading into the 2011 season, the Vikings still have Allen and fellow Pro Bowler DT Kevin Williams, but gone are former starters DE Ray Edwards and DT Pat Williams. Beyond inserting Brian Robison as Edwards’ replacement and signing DT Remi Ayodele to help Williams in the middle, the Vikings are reassessing their depth behind the starters and also bringing along a couple draft picks.

Jared Allen and Jim Kleinsasser battle during practice

We’ll begin with the two new starters – Robison and Ayodele. They’ll team with Allen and Williams to form the four down linemen in coordinator Fred Pagac’s 4-3 scheme. Ayodele is a run-stuffing DT that will fill the role vacated by Pat Williams. Robison will fill the role vacated by Edwards; he’s earned the opportunity after four productive seasons as a reserve.

Beyond those four players, the Vikings have a bushel of linemen fight for spots in the rotation. And the Vikings defensive line this year will truly be a rotation. Right now the depth chart is not well-defined with first-, second- and third-team units. Rather, several players are rotating in and out of different groups, which creates several different combinations and will allow the defensive line to have fresh legs late in games. When assessing the depth behind the starters, we also have to keep in mind that Williams could be suspended for the first four games of the regular season, which means a starting spot will be available.

Here are a few observations from the last two days and throughout last week on the Vikings defensive line rotation…
– Allen is having a tremendous training camp, but so is fellow DE Everson Griffen. He was a fourth-round pick in the 2010 draft and played just occasionally last year. This year, though, I think he’ll be a guy who plays at least 10-15 defensive snaps per game. After Allen, Robison and then Griffen, the next DE in line to play is Adrian Awasom, who has shown some flashes during camp.
– Fred Evans and Letroy Guion seem to be in line after Williams and Ayodele at DT. I’ve also seen Christian Ballard – a fourth-round pick this past April – and Tremaine Johnson take reps with the second-team, but it’s been mostly Evans and Guion. Evans is a guy VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman picked up from Miami early in his tenure with the Vikings. Guion was a fifth-round pick of Spielman’s in 2008 and has developed steadily during his career. He may finally be blossoming into a regular member of the DL rotation. Both guys have taken reps with the first-team on occasion but spend most of their time with the second-team.
– DE D’Aundre Reed is a player to watch this preseason. He’s passed the vikings.com Blog Eye Test a few times during training camp and he’s even been mentioned by head coach Leslie Frazier during a press conference. He stands at 6-4, 260 pounds and is a talented pass rusher. He could improve against the run but I think he’s shown explosion in pressuring the QB from the edge. He’s spent a lot of time with the second-team but is also bouncing down to the third-team at times.
– Former Gopher Cedric McKinley and new pickup Colby Whitlock are primarily third-team DTs and David Akinniyi plays DE on the third-team.

To go any further than that at this point is probably jumping the gun. There are 14 defensive linemen in camp right now and I’m guessing the final number on the 53-man roster will be somewhere between nine and 11. Once we get a couple preseason games under our belts, we can make a better guess as to which players will round out the DL rotation.

Let’s jump quickly to the TEs, where Visanthe Shiancoe enters atop the depth chart and second-round rookie Kyle Rudolph follows. I anticipate the Vikings will use multiple TE sets regularly this season, which means we’ll see Rudolph and Shiancoe on the field at the same time. Shiancoe has had a solid camp and Rudolph has impressed me quite a bit with the camp he’s put together.

Rudolph and Shiancoe aren’t going to blow anyone away with their blocking, though. But that’s part of the reason why the Vikings still have Jim Kleinsasser. He’ll be on the roster and will be a valuable part of this offense, as an option at TE and also as a pseudo member of the offensive line.

If the Vikings keep more than three TEs, which is certainly possible, Jeff Dugan offers consistency and familiarity with the franchise. Then youngsters Ed Barham and Allen Reisner enter the picture and could be fighting for spots on the practice squad. Reisner is out of the University of Iowa and has shown flashes of solid pass-catching ability while Barham has done the same and is a hard guy to tackle after the catch.

As is the case with all positions at this point in training camp, we need preseason games before we further judge.

Tags: , , , , , ,

81 Responses to “Assessing The Defensive Line And Tight End Positions”

1. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I thought Rudolph was selected because he can excel at both blocking and catching, making him an unpredictable, well rounded TE. Hopefully the coaches will see the value in improving his blocking skills so that we won’t be tipping our hand when the TEs step onto the field.

2. By vikings4seven on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I have no expectations of this defense this year. We are fooling ourselves if we think improvements have been made this year. Every position is going to struggle. Jared is an animal but he is slowing down. With the offensive line being a huge issue this year, why are we using TE’s who do not block well and keeping Jimmy K. My bet would be if Jimmy K. is in he will be staying in to block and the others going into routes. Pretty simple to figure out. I am very confused with the direction we are going now.

3. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@vikings4seven – Have you personally seen anything in the play of the current defense to support your claims, or are you basing them on your recollection of last year’s performance? Because last year was a train wreck, where just about everything that could go wrong DID go wrong.

Reports are that many of the stars, offense and defense, are looking considerably better this year than they did at the same time last year. So unless you can cite events you’ve witnessed that support your contradiction to this, your claims have no credibility.

4. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

vikings4seven – also keep in mind that the Vikings will obviously work to not have those tendencies. Since Shiancoe and Rudolph are better pass-catchers than blockers, the Vikings will be careful to balance the playcalling with those guys in the game so that they don’t become predictable.

5. By Daniel on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Letroy Guion is a guy who needs to be watched. This guy had 2 sacks and 12 tackles last year. Robinson had 13 tackles and 2 sacks. He is young. only 24 and is 6-4. He is as big as Williams and has looked awsome this year in camp. I feel like he will be the guy who takes Williams is out 4 games. That will be his chance. I have a good feeling about him this year. Watch this guy durring preseason and see what I mean. Ballard will follow him quickly too. Reed looks good, but all in all, I still think Griffen should take 1st and 2nd down and Robinson 3rd. Just not that impressed with the guy. maybe as a 3-4 OLB.

6. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

ESPN power ranks the jags over the Vikes this year…. who else is insulted?

7. By Daniel on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

As far as TEs go, I don`t see kliensassers need. I get it! he can block. But beyond that, don`t see much help. I feel like Kliensasser is a liability more than a need. It tells our hand when he is there. It`s borderline lineman now. For 3 mill, thats an expensive gamble that shows too much. I truly believe Rudolph could do as well blocking plus a major deep and middle threat. Do you think a defence would be more worried pass wise if Kliensasser was in? I say drop kliensasser and either sign Peterson with that cash or pick up Jamal Brown to chalenge Johnson.

8. By CA Norwegian on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Mike, if Pat W. wanted to play for us could he? Is he over the hill now? It looks like a rebuilding year on the DL, but I disagree with seven. We will do much better this year. Face it last year was was freakish bad luck. The bad record was not representative of what we had. Still we beat the Eagles with Web. We will contend this year without the 4 and 18 combo. AP Ball & D.

9. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@Skol_Vikes98 – In previous years I would be insulted, but it seems that the Vikings are at their best when they’re projected as the underdogs. I could cite many instances where this was the case, but I’ll just stick to one, the playoff game against Dallas in ’09. All the experts were saying that we didn’t have a chance, and we proved them wrong and completely obliterated the Cowboys.

So, my twisted little mind will actually be taking this low Power Ranking in a positive light, trusting that MN will continue to make a name for themselves as the successful underdogs that are portrayed time and again throughout our stories, books, shows and movies.

10. By Woodboat on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Just watched the highlights from this mornings practice, and one thing stood out that I had forgotten about. Maybe it was just the camera angle, I don’t know, but…..

Joe Webb is freakin’ huge. That is one big dude.

11. By Titus on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

You are on fire tonight, Parody. Just read your comments on the other blog regarding the vomiting quarterback syndrome. If there is any truth to it, it is because of an illness or bad food in Mankato— McNabb has been around far too long to have the jitters (I think). But I do agree– I assumed there was an impostor and I knew that assumption when I wrote my piece– I was hoping to see if Mike would react. He still has not. Hmmmmm?

12. By Woodboat on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@ Daniel…

I can cite many reasons why the team keeps Kleinsasser. He is an important team leader, for one. Second, though he isn’t going to wow you with his speed, he is actually a pretty decent p@ss catcher when thrown to. If you have been a Vikes fan for a while, I’m sure you will remember that he came into the league as a FB, and was pretty successful at it, until Mike Tice moved him to TE because of need at that position. I’d be willing to bet that Jimmy could still truck many of the LB he’d meet in the gaps if they choose to drop him back off the line and use him as such.

Lastly, the most important reason they should keep him is he’s freakin’ awesome. If you want to cut someone, there are plenty of guys on this team with less value than Jim.

13. By Moss Fan on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … be carefull criticizing the food, wouldnt want you to get cut from the blog :)

14. By Daniel on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

cut the sassage! He needs to go back to harpooning sturgen in ND!

15. By Daniel on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I like Kliensassage, but he is too expensive for what little we use him. I liked Hovan too. But it was just time to move on. I liked Mckinnie, but It was time to go on. I just feel like the sassage tips off the safties and LBs. think about it. We have Rudolph and Shank. Bringing The sassage to the line locks up the box.

16. By Mark B on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Yup, and when they load up the box cause Jim is in, Percy/Arcenaux/Jenkins will have the whole center of the field with 1 safety to beat – remember, tendencies and predictions can work both ways. Just imagine the play action possibilities when Jim comes in and lines up at FB/TE – because defenses are going to assume that they will be running the ball.

17. By Yesterday'scorn on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I loved what Pat Williams gave the Vikings. I do feel his productivity and ability to stay healthy has limited his value to this team going forward. I think our younger players need to get more reps beside guys like KWill and JAllen.

18. By Stu's shadow on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like the sound of letting Kleinsasser go, but I don’t always follow player salaries, and that is a key to building a team within the cap. Is Dugan a close comparison to Kleinsasser in blocking skill? Otherwise, Musgrave may have a more pronounced role for Kleinsasser in the offense than Bevell did, and he (Kleinsasser) can serve as a mentor to Rudolph.

19. By The Hatchet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Daniel: You have great insights, but I think you mean Robison, not Robinson. Like the main character in Gary Paulsen’s Newberry Award winning book, The Hatchet.

20. By Eye for talent MVCL! on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m of the belief that the Vikings are in a better position to have a very good season this year, moreso than last year. We’ve avoided controversy. Our guys are working hard, and avoiding the injury bug. Our front office has hit the ground running pretty well with the short turn around following the lockout. I’m looking forward to seeing Saturday night’s game, but I have to remind myself that their are still 3 weeks of pre-season left to form this team and not to read too much into the ups and downs of practice this early. It does sound like the mindset of the players, and the depth of the talent is at a higher level.

21. By Mike B on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Although no player is beyond being cut. I don’t think that Kleinsasser will get cut. He represents more than what he brings to the position. He is the heart and soul of the team. Cut that out and you have morale issues. He does what is required of him within his abilities. He never was a good catching TE but is a great blocking TE/FB. The reason they put him at FB for a couple years is that he wasn’t so good catching the football. I was the metrodome at the chicago game where he dropped one in the end zone. He was wearing his 80s number then. He puts out 100 percent and so he will stay. Have a great day.

22. By Titus on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I agree, they need to keep Saucer. There is something intangible about his presence, partly because of his long tenure. He was there at the last two NFC championship games– against Atlanta, and at the Saints. Hopefully, we get him to a third one very soon and win the big one. He is part of the heart and soul of the team– he and AP and McNabb along with Allen and others– who have been close and want the ring before they retire– we need a bunch of guys with inner, intangible motivation and leadership.

23. By Give me the Sauce on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Titus, you must have forgotten the Championship game after the 2000 season (you know, the one where the Giants had people on the Vikes sideline)…
    Anyways, they MUST keep ‘Sasser. If they cut him, there would be no sense of loyalty. And I wouldn’t want my Kleinsasser jersey going the way of my Favre, Rice, and Moss jersey. (Even though I would still proudly wear my 40 jersey, as I do with the rest.)
    The Sasser is a personal favorite of mine, and I don’t think I’m alone (although Kluwe is really creeping up the list).

24. By dilan on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

does anyone know how much an autographed ball by pat williams would go for and if ur interested ive got 2 for sale just send an email to dsturner98@yahoo.com

25. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Donovan McNabb has been playing poorly during training camp. He showed up out of shape it seems and he shows it on the field by throwing up his chunky soup his mom served him. That reminds me, why is he always shown eating his apparently delicious chunky soup straight from a can? Because he always chokes everytime he gets close to a bowl.

26. By Donovan McNabb on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Tis is not funny guys. Isa can play some gud futball. Isa throw the ball to the man tat is wyde open. He catcha the football. I can play gud. Trust me. Don’t make phun of me please. I the quarterback. Isa leader. Mike Wobschall is a meanie. Ima hungry. Isa need my chunky soup. Thanks moma. McNabb hurt bad.

27. By hicohornet on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey Donovan learn how to spell man. You are now the laughing stock of the entire team. WHY did we ever get him? Dang gum. Seriously? Please release him!

28. By CA Norwegian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Mike can you delete any blogs? The previous by “MIKE WOBS” AND “DONAVAN McNABB” ALONG WITH THIS WOULD BE IN GOOD TASTE.

29. By CA Norwegian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

If Tom Brady can voluntarily give up salary to boot OL contracts, hopefully McNabb might think about giving back more to “get” someone who might be a cap cut, or interested in making a switch to our OLine. When Kleinsasser retires, they might think about turning Sully into a blockjing FB, and putting a bigger guy @C for the huge DTs out there. No matter where the speed rushers come from, the first one there would be met by an ample 300lb low to the ground stud stapled to the QBs hip.

30. By D.O.B on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Lets get down to the real issue: Wheres all the screen plays? What I’d like to see that I haven’t seen since Childress became head coach of this organization. Childress, coming from Philly that executed the screenplay to perfection; when the defense stacks the box, run the got dam screenplay! Catching the defense over perusing do it once, do it right! Instead of eight men in the box then maybe our offense wouldn’t be so dam predictable. I mean don’t quote me on this but I haven’t seen more screenplays than I can count on my fingers and toes since Childress. Let’s just hope Lezlie Fraizer throws that back into our offensive playbook. I’m only telling you what I know.

31. By Sean on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

D.O.B the screens are coming! They said they want to get AP in space (check), McNabb is a master of screens and was mad that he couldn’t use them more last year and it is a great way to keep pressure off our shaky line.

Ksauce may be a block first guy, but he can CATCH. He is an incredible teammate, clutch pass catcher and superb blocker no way we get rid of that guy. I’d like to see all 4 TEs make it and KSauce being the main FB when the time calls for it

vikings 4 seven (all the way at the top), you clearly haven’t been following camp. Several KEY pieces of the defense are recovering from injuries, and several of the younger players on the defense are getting much better – don’t sleep on the D just because last year we looked like we fell asleep at the wheel

32. By Titus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

OH YEAH– How could I forget the championship game against the Giants? I did forget it– possibly because it was such a blowout.

YES, MIKE W. — we need some control on these blogs– comments are becoming out of line– downright ignorant.

33. By DRS on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

This is from,

Mr. Wilf, and team officials, want to sell the Arden Hills site as the best possible option for a new stadium and commercial development. Dozens of business leaders and politicians are headed to Vikings training camp Wednesday morning for a three-hour meeting about the Arden Hills site. The Vikings need to convince political leaders and the public that the new stadium is worth the half-percent sales tax hike proposed in Ramsey County to help fund the new facility.

34. By edgypadre on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

What’s the longest run after catch Kleinsasser has ever made? He seems to have no running power. Don’t remember him ever running through a takle.

35. By Stoney on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Kliensasser is one of the best blocking TE’s in the league, and is a decent pass catcher, not to mention a team leader. You can’t just replace that. Doubt he will get cut.

36. By Cpt. Cool on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

hicihornet is the one posing as Mike. Anyone notice how he set himself up on the other blog asking how donovan was doing? Anyway i heard that california aproved a 1.6 billion dollar statium in LA contingent on an NFL franchise move. Seriously if we dont get this deal done…

37. By Jason on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@edgypadre

That’s because Kleinsasser never catches the ball on the run. He’s normally on his way to the ground as he catches the ball. Sometimes he rolls for a couple extra yards,BUT at least he does catch the ball.

38. By sandiamond on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Everyone should read the article quotes from musgrave and pagac. anwers some of the questions here like how are certain rookie preformances and roster spots, etc

39. By Stoney on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

The tight end position should have been linked with the O-Line post, not the D-line.

40. By Frederick Jones on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Switch Kliensasser to the offensive line.

41. By Frederick Jones on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Kleinsasser

42. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

That’s a good point Stoney. It felt out of place to me too, and it unnecessarily made a long blog even longer.

43. By Frederick Jones on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall,

Thank you for getting the writers blog questions mic’d up for us! ! !

44. By Titus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

45. By Matt on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Klein should move to FB, im sure he will be better than any of the FA’s that we signed

46. By nomdadrian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

What do Robert Smith, Michael Bennett, Chester Taylor, and Adrian Peterson have in common? They all followed Jim Kleinsasser to the 1,000 yard club. At the time of his only major injury he was becoming a good pass catching TE, 37 in ’02 and 46 in’03. Mike Tice realized the value of having the best blocking TE in football, last year when our OL was decimated by injuries, Kleinsasser was next on the OL. It doesn’t matter if they know which way it’s going if they can’t stop him. Wear those 40 jerseys with pride. Rudolph can’t yet block pro DE’s.

47. By nomdadrian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

WOODBOAT, Kleinsasser was drafted out ND (North Dakota not Notre Dame) as a TE. Denny Green tried to make him a FB, then was moved back because of pass catching ability, has always done whatever team wanted him to. Got bigger when team wanted him to block more, he and Hovan became known as lifting maniacs back then.

48. By Donovan McNabb on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I thru a big ball to Kleenseaseaser he don catcha the ball good. Coach tink bout cuttin him. I said to coach dont he my frind. He need job. Isa talk to yu guys later Isa need more chunky soup.

49. By hicohornet on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey Donovan it’s a pleasure seeing you on here. Wow. Never thought I would actually write you messages. Even though you can’t read or write very well. It’s ok, just keep listening to your mom…. even though you won’t play after week 4.

50. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I think the Vikigns will win 5 games this year with Donovan. You’re right hicohornet.

51. By Titus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, why did we get him anyways? He couldn’t do anything with Redskins and he sure didn’t play like a hall of famer either.

52. By CA Norwegian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, the Vikings will stink it up this year if Donovan heading into the season is our quarterback. That’s a shame.

53. By Woodboat on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Ok, can I say something here. I have been dieing to tell you Parody. I’m gay. Want to come lay with me?

54. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Sure. Only if my husband won’t mind.

55. By Titus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Any chance of a threesome? Maybe we can ask McNabb since we love him so much.

56. By hicohornet on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Ok. This is getting sick. Please take it up to another chatroom please. This is football. A different kind of ball.

57. By Vike on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

yeah….what hico said

58. By Sean on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I have mad respect for Musgrave, he knows how to call an offense and use the running game. He was a beast in Atlanta. Also, I don’t if anyone’s noticed, but he’s a really good speaker, meaning he’s a smart guy. I wouldn’t worry about the offense tipping plays with formations this year because of Jim being in or not in.

59. By nomdadrian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

1/2 cent sales tax is reasonabe to me and others I’ve spoken with for the benefits that will be gained of having a pro football team there and additional businesses to come.

60. By nomdadrian on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

To the racist playing Donovan, your ignorance is sad. I feel sorry for you, counseling is an option. Must be a republican.

61. By Kev on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@nomdadrian.. You are spot on.. That racist Donovan was not funny in the slightest.. But I will say this.. Our team will play defense and run the ball well. We won’t dominate like 09.. but if we get avg qb play we will be in most games. It’s that simple

62. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Wow hicohornet, what are you trying to accomplish here? Bookending those comments with your name makes it all too obvious that you’re the imposter. Plus, it didn’t make it any less obvious when you were using our names to post compliments to yourself.

Next time, you should try to give the characters in your play different personalities. Use different words, different styles of sentence structure, different levels of intelligence in spelling. When you do that, you just might get some of the younger minds in here to believe that different people are actually engaging with one another, rather than groaning at the pathetic middle aged man having a tea party with himself on his mother’s iPad.

63. By Titus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

That is soooo funny, hitched hornet. Most of the bloggers know one another well enough to know the truth. What a moron.

64. By govikes on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I actually like our offensive line. There is no reason they wont produce. Loadholt who will, I think be alot better in the man man blocking scheme. He’s huge! Then hutch, always a great player. Center is an issue, but moving on… Herrera/Cook is a good combo, either is a solid choice. Charlie Thompson is a mediocre player, but Kleinsaucer and him will be able to create a good pair to take on those elite ends. I don’t see how you can find something wrong with our tight ends. Rudolph and Shank are beasts!

65. By hicohornet on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

LMAO! This is too funny. You seriously think that it’s racist to do that? So judgmental liberals on this blog.

66. By hicohornet on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m a moron cause you actually think that I wouldn’t know that you all would realize that I’m making fun of you and I don’t know you all would know the truth? LOL Congrats the Vikings are ranked low in power ranking way to go management.

67. By Titus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

No, you are a moron because you waste your time with moronic goals of attention seeking established by insecurities evidenced by imbecilic wit, seasoned with idiotic tendencies. In short, you are a moron.

68. By skol patrol on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

is that mike wobschall really mike wobschall? and is the thing about mcnabb you said really true?

69. By Woodboat on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@nomdadrian… thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware that Jimmy was drafted as a TE… I just remember him playing FB for the Vikes before Tice moved him to TE.

@hico… wow. Really?

70. By Arrow86 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m terribly disappointed in people who are insulting the character and intelligence of Donovan McNabb. If you’re knowledgeable enough on football, it is fair to pick apart his play on the field and compare it to what Coach Musgrave has ran in turning Atlanta around. Win, lose, or draw, I’ve always felt McNabb was an articulate, and fierce competitor. Time will tell if he will have success as a Viking.

@hicohornet: Where were the Vikings on the “Powerrankings” in 2010 and where did we end up? That is such a valuable indicator a month before the first game!

71. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Actually it’s quite an indicator. Just shows what’s expected from most people. They where a disappointment last year. And if they do better than what they a predicted then they will be a surprise team. Donovan McNabb he lost his starting job because he played poorly. He had poor footwork, he accuracy has always been an issue, and he seems always out of shape. McNabb is lowsy. You’ll see when the Vikings go 5-11 with him.

72. By idahoviking84 on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

I am lost here in Idaho can someone please tell me what happened to Pat Williams?

73. By Kane2976 on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

You’re kidding with the accuracy thing right? Just look at his career numbers.

74. By skol patrol on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

mike wobblehead you are completely wrong. mcnabb will carry the vikings to a good season. you talk positive like a real fan or i will skol your horns

75. By skol patrol on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

vikings will be 10 and 6 this season. there schedule is fine, and if you look at the 2008 season youll see that we only had AP and we made the playoffs. now look who we have. remember favres first season as a vike? awesome. donovan mcnabb is almost exactly the same as favre and should do what the vikes did with favre in 2009. what im saying is that our story from 2009 will repeat. now mike wobbstall you better talk about something different in stead of convincing more and more fans to beleive your tideous theory

76. By nomadadrian on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Not trying to correct anyone but I lived in north Dakota when #40 was drafted, they’re pretty proud of it.

77. By Titus on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

That is not Mike W!!! He makes mistakes in his writing sometimes, but nowhere near that bad. Where for were? Lowsy for lousy? No, only a moron would be that stupid.

78. By skol patrol on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

hey thanks titus. i dont notice spelling errors.

79. By skol patrol on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

im still gonna skol his horns

80. By Titus on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha, skol patrol — go for it!

81. By nomadadrian on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I’d be honored to be called liberal, definition (open minded). Funny thing about racist, they never think they are.