A Few Notes From Tuesday Morning Full Pads Practice

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 9, 2011 – 11:01 am

Day 10 of 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp is underway in Mankato and Practice #13 is in the books. The Vikings enjoyed great football weather – something you don’t often get in the dog days of summer – on Tuesday and worked for about two hours in front of another impressive training camp crowd.

Vikings fans continue to pack the bleachers next to Field #1. I was expecting attendance to be down slightly this year in Mankato, but from what I can tell the crowds have been pretty full every day and then we saw the largest crowd ever for a Saturday night practice this past weekend.

On Tuesday morning the Vikings practiced in full pads and got some situational work done. Aside from the normal drill work the team does in practice, the defense and offense went live against each other in the four-minute drill (offense tries to run out the clock) and at the goal line. I’d give the nod to the offense in the four-minute period and the defense had the advantage in goal line work.

LB Chad Greenway, who has had a nice training camp to this point, grabbed an INT during 7-on-7 drills. Speaking of LBs, we caught up with E.J. Henderson after practice so watch for that video to be posted over the next several hours. We also caught up with Vikings preseason television analyst Mike Mayock after practice to get his thoughts on the Vikings, so stay tuned for that.

On Monday we began a comprehensive, position-by-position look at the roster by analyzing the offensive line. On Tuesday morning I kept an eye on the offensive line to see if there were any major changes, but didn’t really catch anything to note. Tuesday afternoon we’ll continue to roster analysis by addressing the defensive line and tight ends, so stay tuned for that as well.

The Eye Test
We’ll mention one defensive player and one offensive player in the eye test department. E.J. Henderson is clearly the leader of this defense, at least vocally on the field, and he continues to play well. I’ve been told by multiple people on the team that this is the best they’ve seen Henderson look coming into training camp and now I can see it, too. The offensive player I’d like to point out is a guy we’ve pointed out previously in the eye test – FB Matt Asiata. He’s an undrafted rookie free agent but I really like how he’s coming along. He’s athletic, can catch the ball out of the backfield and even has a little wiggle to him when he’s carrying the football. If he can display some power blocking ability in the preseason, I think he’s got a shot to make this roster.

Tags: , ,

55 Responses to “A Few Notes From Tuesday Morning Full Pads Practice”

1. By Glen on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

It appears this blog has been mis-tagged with “Matt Asia”. Unless that’s a new nickname for him, I believe is should be “Matt Asiata”.

2. By Malte on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I saw on espn1500 that Rudolph had a day to forget. To bad consider he had such a good camp this far

3. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@Wobschall – Thanks for giving the update on Asiata. I for one like to hear about the players who aren’t guaranteed starters, and players who we aren’t certain will make the team even moreso.

If you could, I would love to see an examination of the guys who are fighting for roster spots, and speculation on who is likely to earn them along with what they can offer to the team over the other players they are competing with.

4. By Rick on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

How is Mistral Raymond doing? I think he has a lot of potential and could be a star safety for us one day.

5. By Lucas on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

In your eyes is Ponder looking promising for the future? Maybe not this season but down the road. I just haven’t heard anything about Ponder this whole camp.

6. By Arrow86 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I liked the Pagac press conference. He answered a lot of questions about depth and what he’s looking for from his defense. If you haven’t watched it you should. Once again, he’s definitely a no-nonsense kind of guy.

7. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Ponder does look good. He clearly “gets it” in terms of the mental part of the game. Now he just has to get timing down and gain experience.

Raymond has had a nice camp. He’s a good looking athlete. I’ll reserve judgment on him until I watch him play.

8. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t like how Pagac addressed the concern at safety. When asked about the injury to Tyrell Johnson, he made it clear that the team is not considering anyone other than Jamarca Sanford at the position. So right now, there is NO competition until Johnson heals up. That’s really unsettling, as the same competition last year led to the safety position being identified as the most glaring flaw in our defense.

9. By hicohornet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Is McNabb rusty and out of shape? I believe a younger more athletic athlete with fresher legs in Ponder should be able to win more games than McNabb. I can see McNabb being benched halfway through the season. I mean heck, he lost his starting job by Grossman. I can say Ponder is probably better than Grossman.

10. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

McNabb isn’t really impressive in camp. He doesn’t look like a future hall of famer leading an offense during practice. he tends to throw up after practice and I can see him definitely losing his starting job.

11. By Boss Man on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

How do the tight ends look? I see there are 6 on the roster currently. Do you feel all six will stick around? From the rookies, who is in the most danger of being cut?

12. By Ham on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Mike you really should take away the ability to post as Mike Wobschall…

13. By Daniel on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

From the sounds of it McNabb is not doing so hot. I hope for McNabb`s sake he pulls it together and get down to business. I am still hearing about loadholt and that is a good thing, but that is all I hear except musgrave can`t wait till Herrera comes back. Not good. Our Line is in trouble. I hope they figure this out and fast. I also feel like they already know we have a saftey problem. Ya, lets just wait till Tyrell comes back and Herrera, and all will be good. I am for abdullah, and like tyrell as a great backup, Herrera is a good back up. But these guys are so close to average and that exposes holes that are clearly visable and will get attacked often.

14. By Frederick Jones on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Was that really MIke Wobschall?

Who is the hater?

15. By Frederick Jones on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Lies have speed, the truth has endurance.

16. By David on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Look, not saying you’re expecting this. But to not expect a rookie to trip up at times is a bit much. I mean Ponder threw a pick or two during camp, it happens. I still expect Rudolph to be a dnamic TE along with Shanc.

17. By Daniel on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

How many preseason games or practices does it take to tell if your certain or not in a player. Do coaches just get comfortable with a player and just excepts his attributes and says “well, we will try this for a while” I believe our new staff knows our troubles BUT, are giving too much slack to below average guys. Our stars are clearly standing out, but with the already short amount of time we have left, I hope some more fire is lit under some tails.

18. By Ham on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

It depends on the player, sometimes 4 games isn’t enough (practice squad)

19. By Titus on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

HEY MIKE Wobschall— I said this multiple times last year– I say it again –

THIS SITE SHOULD REQUIRE EVERYONE TO REGISTER IN A SECURE MANNER — one username per email. No one should be able to pose as someone else–

By the way– to the impostor– everyone knows that was not the real Mike Wobschall.

20. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Come on Titus, you’re jumping to conclusions too early. Mike hasn’t stepped in yet to say that WASN’T him, right? Besides, you and I both know how much Wobby loves to deride the guys who make his paycheck possible…

21. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

It is strange though. I just searched for the latest news on McNabb and found nothing indicating that he’s been losing his lunch on the field. This tells me that he and the team is either doing a great job of hiding this all from the media and the thousands of fans that watch practices each day, or that Titus just may be on to something with his imposter hypothesis.

I’m leaning towards the former. We all know that NFL teams are right up there with the politicians in their skills to cover-up the truth. Just look at how well they swept the Loveboat scandal under the rug, and how we never heard a thing of the sexting incident, beyond the initial accusation…

22. By Nightdog on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Yea no doubt a Green Gag Puke fan. Who by the way, even if it pukes its way into 10 Super Bowels , still sux. No matter what.. That in itself must suck. So bye bye now, take care then. Green Bay sux.

23. By vikings4seven on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

WOW, just watched the “HIGHLIGHTS” from practice. If that is what stood out we have a long season ahead. QB’s have looked pretty poor from what i have seen. QUESTION= It is not at all way off base to think we will be competing for worst recored this year. If Andrew Luck is there for us why should we be considering Ponder our future.

24. By June on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Asiata has a “little wiggle” to him? I thought childress was gone lol

25. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@vikings4seven – Congratulations! You just presented an argument that convinced me your reasoning skills are non-existant! The video was made by an amateur from a less than optimal angle, during minimal contact drills, while the team is still getting to know each other, with many people in every play who are a longshot to even make the team.

That kind of reasoning is similar to buying a frozen steak and expecting it to taste great the second you take it out of the freezer!

26. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

The steak known as the Vikings is just starting to defrost. Once we start preseason, we’ll begin cutting out the fat and sprinkling in some seasoning. Towards the end of the preseason, the players will start to cook with a spicy mix of plays soaked in by all the players. Once the season begins, the steak will be sizzling hot and ready to astonish the NFL. This is all thanks in large part to the cooks that Leslie Frazier has hired as coaches to support him in preparing the team for the main course.

27. By sandiamond on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Interesting article today in the local paper here. SD released WR Legedu Naanee and the Panthers picked him up. He is having a good camp and in-line for the #2 spot. He apparently chose Carolina over Minnesota as the vikings offered a contract. Good move, he might not have made the roster in Minn

good to see the viks are watching the waiver wire

28. By Woodboat on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for that, Parody. Now I’m hungry.

29. By Carl K on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

thanks parody, now I’m hungry.

30. By Carl K on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

woodboat you beat me too it

31. By sandiamond on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Asiata! done deal just look at the roster now, no FB’s

32. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m hungry too….

Hungry for the season to start!

Should I compare the team to an ice cream Sunday now?

33. By Carl K on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@sandiamond- Not so fast, we still have 4 preseason games to play. Plus, Musgrave has said his offense doesn’t need to have a fullback. TEs like Kliensasser and Dugan can play the role of a fullback in our offense. And don’t forget about D’Imperio… he looked good as a rookie last year and he is working and fighting for that fullback job too. Now with that said, I am excited to see Asiata play. I saw some of his highlights from last year… he took some snaps in the wildcat and even tossed a TD p@ss. He seems like a good short yardage/red zone guy with good hands.

@Parody- Make sure AP is the cherry on top.

34. By hicohornet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t he throw up at the Super Bowl and even on Eagles practices also? That doesn’t surprise me…. WOW

35. By hicohornet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Too much chunky soup.

36. By hicohornet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Jan 16 2007 he also threw up while playing agains’t the Bucs… COME ON MAN!

37. By High 5 Viking on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@hicohornet:

McNabb lost his job in D.C. as fans in D.C. were starting to get on their offensive coordinator. Oh, by the way the O.C. was the head coaches son. I wouldn’t let Rex Grossman dogsit my Mastiff let alone quarterback my team. Shanahan has again listed Grossman #1. If I remember correctly from last years Vikings vs. Skins game Donovan had shorter or smaller receivers to throw to, Portis was injured or not very effective in the game. Chris Cooley is very up and down. Everything revolved around Donovan making the play.

38. By High 5 Viking on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@vikings4seven: Luck has shown himself to be a fantastic prospect, but a year ago the Washington QB Locker was considered the #1 player in the draft had he left early. A year later teams still liked Locker a lot, but he had fallen off. If Locker leads the Titans to the playoffs and Super Bowl, then the Vikes should sell the farm for Andrew “Bring us some ‘Luck already!”

39. By Viking4LIFE on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

People should not make an excuses for a future hall of famer. He lost his starting job because he played poorly! What else is there to say? Well he didn’t have this…he didn’t have that. Oh well, you got to play with what you got… ask Brady. I mean heck, he been to 5 NFC Championship games…. why take up for the dude. He just doesn’t have it anymore. He will play poorly and Ponder will get the nod after about 6 games. Mark my words.

40. By vikingman22 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you Vikings4LIFE… Donovan is a lowsy quarterback. Even with all the weapons he had through out his career he could never get the job done. L.O.W.S.Y

41. By petersonofgod on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

if donovan doesn’t make us to atlease an 8-8 season with ap in the backfield then he needs to be retired nobody wants him i hope he leaves i mean washington gave him up for a 6th round pick isn’t that saying something?

42. By favrefan4life on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I think Donovan will lay an egg this year. I haven’t seen anything from him to make me think we will be in the playoffs because of him. RELEASE HIM PLEASE

43. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

See if this post, then people can post with Wobschall’s name! I say Parody is not bright thinking it is actually Mike talking like the way he did. He is too much of a rear end kisser to the Vikings to say Mcnabb is going to do bad!

44. By RWF1984 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

That was me that posted that latest wobschall post! Sorry if it tore your hopes of actually talking to him!

45. By RWF1984 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

His first posting seems more like him, second is full of doo doo, and the third……..well that was me to prove a point to parody!

46. By David P on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

If Mcnabb had a bad season at washington was because he had not one to throw to, then he is really in a bad place here for the vikings. Harvin and Shank and that is it. BB does not run routes very well and does not extend hsi arms and the last action I saw of McNabb he does not put the ball in between the numbers. McNabb equals a waste. He will most likely throw up this weekend.

47. By Frederick Jones on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Don McNabb is third among current NFL quarterbacks in winning percentage ! ! !

48. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@RWF1984 – What’s your point? If it’s that you caught me positing as Wobby, you better stick your tail back between your legs and do some more investigating, because I have never tried to impersonate Mike. Furthermore, if I had tried to impersonate him, I would have done something a bit more clever than creating an obvious lie to support the claim.

Go back and reread the posts I made after the incident, and try to understand them as if they were written with a sarcastic tone. That was the point of it. I was joking with Titus about the fool who tried to misdirect the readers.

And “rear end kisser”? Are you kidding me? If anything, I’m a hopeless optimist, but currently I’m just holding myself back from passing judgement on most of the players until I can see them in the preseason.

I was against getting McNabb for numerous reason. First, I wasn’t sure that he’d be the right mentor for our first round pick. I also thought he’d demand so high of a salary that we’d have to cut key players to pay him. I also thought that with his age, McNabb would have demanded a long term contract, forcing us to watch our first round pick wither on the bench.

I was NEVER among the crew that thought McNabb was washed up because WASHINGTON couldn’t get things to work for him. Our caoches are much better than anything that the Skins have ever had. They’re coaches and the rest of us are not for a reason. (That’s a fact, I’ve never cared for the taste of ass). They saw something good and picked up McNabb to improve the offense. I’m never going to be one from within the ignorant mässes who jumps out and bïtches about what he doesn’t understand. I’ll wait to see what McNabb has, and if he does stink it up, I will not hide my opinion about it.

49. By Carl Brodin on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

All of you not wanting Mcnabb to be our QB lets see him in some preseason games before we pass judgement. What your seeing in camp are pieces of the offence & defence this is not all been put together yet we have 4 preseason games to put things together. Lets wait a while before passing judgement.

50. By RWF1984 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Wow, Parody I never said you were the rear end kisser or the person posing as Mike! I was stating that you believed that was Mike, not you as him! I was stating that Mike was too much of a rear end kisser to the Vikings to make a stooge post about McNabb like that. I wasn’t even calling anyone a rear end kisser that was posting comments, I just took it like you believed that was the real Mike posting!

51. By sharon on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

That comment about Mcnabb throwing up is getting old and tired. Give it a rest

52. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Well RWF1984, if you read your post objectively, you can see where I was thrown off. I was the subject of the second sentence, in which you criticized me of not being bright because you were unable to see the sarcasm. That sentence was immediately followed with “He is too much of a rear end kisser…” Since you were still disparaging someone, I had to conclude that “He” was in reference to the subject of the previous question, rather than the predicate which included Mike.

I’m no English teacher, so I can’t explain it to you much clearer than that. But I think that Titus is, so you can direct further clarification questions his way.

53. By Arrow86 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Following up on Frederick Jones fact that McNabb has the 3rd highest winning percentage. He played in 1 Super Bowl. The only season where he had a big, elite receiver (T.O.) Vikings fans are familiar with Philly receivers because they all stop off here on their way out the door. Bryant Westbrook was a very good all around running back, but you wouldn’t confuse him with A.P. I think McNabb had one season with DeSean Jackson and that was Jackson’s rookie season. Has he had a good line to play behind? I do believe he has, but the weapons around him aside from T.O. will probably never have a bust in Canton, Ohio.

54. By Arrow86 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

David P: If our line can give some reasonable protection, our receivers will make McNabb look very good. I hope our defense can create more turnovers this season, that can help the Vikes play on a short field. I don’t come to the Vikings blog to hear someone obsess about vomit, it’s time for you to grow up a little bit.

55. By vikings done gun on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

vikings dungun defence will done gun give mcnabb a big ball and then we done gun win the super bowl before you done gun know it. i dun gun talking like this.