Vikings Get Back To Work On Monday Morning

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 8, 2011 – 12:52 pm

The Vikings stayed away from the practice fields on Sunday after a solid practice on Saturday night inside Blakeslee Stadium and in front of a packed house. But on Monday head coach Leslie Frazier and Co. were back at it and the team picked up the intensity level quickly.

“We had a good, spirited practice out there this morning,” Frazier said. “After having a day off on Sunday and just getting a chance to have a good [practice] on Saturday, early on I was a little concerned about where their minds would be after having some time off. But they jumped right into it. It was a good practice for us and I don’t think we wasted any time out there. Hopefully we will build on that in our first week of preparation of a preseason game.”

The Vikings continue to benefit from outstanding weather here in Mankato. There have been some pretty hot and humid days, but the last three or four days have seen mild temperatures, plenty of cloud cover and only a slight breeze. Monday morning was perfect and a full crowd was on-hand to enjoy it. The team worked out in shorts, shoulder pads and helmets and then RBs signed autographs after practice in the Northland Ford Dealers Autograph Zone, probably a big reason why the crowd was so large.

Infirmary Report
This has been an incredibly smooth camp for the Vikings in many different ways, one of which has been injuries. But it’s time to knock on wood. The Vikings had several players sitting out on Monday, which shouldn’t be entirely surprising after a week of camp. TE Visanthe Shiancoe came up a little lame and Frazier said he may have tweaked his hamstring. S Tyrell Johnson did not practice today, also because of a hamstring issue. DE Adrian Awasom (illness) didn’t practice, WR Percy Harvin was limited (winded), RG Anthony Herrera continues to sit out of practice as he has all of camp and LG Steve Hutchinson (shoulder) was also limited.

Play of the Day
The best play of the morning practice came during a full team portion of practice. QB Joe Webb scrambled out of the pocket to his left to avoid the pass rush and bought enough time for WR Manny Arceneaux to sprint away from the defense and get open downfield. Webb threw the ball with enough power to hit Arceneaux in stride down the left sideline for what would’ve been a very long TD, right in front of the packed bleachers at Field #1.

Frazier on CBs Cook, Griffin
A position to watch during camp and the preseason is CB, where Antoine Winfield is the only sure thing right now. I think Cedric Griffin has looked outstanding all of camp, but he is coming back from two consecutive major knee injuries. Chris Cook is another who is coming back from injury but has definitely looked good during camp.

Frazier was asked about both guys during his Monday morning press conference. Here’s what he had to say…
— On Cedric Griffin coming back from injury: “What he is doing right now is exceptional, the fact that he’s out there participating in practice, preparing to play in the NFL again, having a second ACL injury, two within an eighteen-month period. That’s hard to put your mind around that you can come back and be practicing at the level at the level he’s practiced at; [it's] a testament to  who Cedric is and how hard he works and how great of an attitude and approach he has on life.”
— On Chris Cook potentially emerging as the 3rd CB: We still have quite a bit more football to go here, so we have to take a look at him and Ash (Asher Allen) and those guys and just see who rises to the top. What he’s doing in practice, it really gives you some hope that he’s on course, but we have a lot more to go before we get to San Diego.”

The Eye Test
To be honest I didn’t think as many guys stood out Monday morning as we’ve seen in the past. That could be construed two different ways: either not many are playing well enough to standout, or lots of players are playing well enough to standout but since so many are playing that way none of them actually standout. Anyway, there were four players who looked better than everyone else today; they were: DE Jared Allen (having maybe the best camp of any Vikings player), LB E.J. Henderson (looks better than he’s looked in years), P Chris Kluwe (played very well on Saturday night) and DE D’Aundre Reed.

Reed is a repeat mention in my eye test section of the practice notes and it sounds like he’s a name that’s brought up in coaches meetings as well. Here’s what Frazier had to say about Reed: “Yes, he’s a guy we’re going to keep an eye on and looking forward to seeing how he performs in some of these preseason games. In practice, he’s flashing. We were talking about him in our staff meetings last night so we’re anxious to see how he does against some new competition (in the preseason games).

Tags: , ,

47 Responses to “Vikings Get Back To Work On Monday Morning”

1. By Andy on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

D’Aundre we are cheering for you! You could be one of those late round GEMS that all teams hope for. I will be your first #1 fan!!!

2. By Parody on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

It’s starting to sound like our DL is on the cusp of having too much talent. Guion and Evans have been rather quiet so far, but Allen, Ayodele, Ballard, Griffen, Reed, Robison, and Williams have all been making noise in camp. It will be interesting to see how the roster and depth chart pan out for this group. I’m also interested in seeing just how often all of the 2nd stringers are rotated into the mix once the season starts.

3. By Rusch on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

D’ Aundre may not be the fastest or the strongest guy but he has heart for miles. He was not in Coach Stoops plans for the starting front four at Unversity Arizona but he managed to play his way to the top and some times even out shine every one on the line. ( Brooks Reed, and Ricky Elmore). Its awesome to hear he is doing well.

4. By mike the great on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

we need a play maker in the db and its super bowl

5. By mike the great on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

we need a play maker in the db and its superbowl

6. By mike the great on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

one more time for u coach we need a player maker in the db an its super bowl try to make that happen

7. By fuzzy on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

As far as getting a playmaker at DB, that’s not always the coach’s job. Vets as well as rookies need to step up and *become* playmakers.

I’m glad to hear that D’Aundre is shining, and I agree, it’s beginning to look like we may have more talent than roster spaces, but that’s what championship teams are made of. I’m sure there will be quite a bit of rotation this year, especially at DE in the absence of Ray Edwards.

8. By lui on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

go get Taylor Mays from 49ers they want a trade for him

9. By hans johnson on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

well, the vikings have antoine winfield who is a sleeper in the nfl, but is very talented and experienced. cedric griffen may be banged up but also has great abilities. tyrell johnson is one of the better safeties in the nfl, who has room for improvement, but helps alot. that seems like enough dbs. but, we also have one of the best defensive linemen in the nfl and 3 amazing linebackers. that will help the secondary alot.

10. By hans johnson on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

that was in reply to mikethegreat

11. By randyw528 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

WE NEED DEVENSIVE BACKS MIKE!

12. By randyw528 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

atari bigby…… taylor mays… darren sharper. we need some help.

13. By Shawn on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall …. was that Jerry Burns in the 8/8 camp photos? and whats the story there? does he help coach players still or just enjoying a sideline stroll? does he have enough respect to correct a player out of the blue? after all these years tell us about the grumpy old man

14. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I’m still mad at McKinney… so out of shape. Maybe we can resign him the middle of the season when he gets his butt in shape? Just dreaming i guess….

Borhma or whatever the 4th stringer name is, was arrested on DUI this weekend. Who wants to take bets on how long until he’s cut?

D-line is looking good. I’m excited for the D-line play

15. By vikesfan98 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@randyw528 agreed… we need a veteran safety.

16. By Blasphemerr on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

A great defensive line is pretty under rated. In the last decade the better defensive line has won the superbowl. You don’t need to be elite everywhere, just in a few places; ask the Giants.

@Blasphemerr

17. By James on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get Taylor Mays at Saftey!!!

18. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

If our defensive line is as great as you say, maybe they will pressure QBs enough to make our DBs look good.

Most bloggers are saying we need a defensive halfback. We should trade a 2nd string DL for a Safety.

Not that we don’t have other needs, but we need defensive halfbacks the most.

19. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

After watching Frazier’s presser, you have to feel good about some of the things he said.

He said they are getting Joe Webb to concentrate on being a QB. Think about how hard that would be to come in and try to play both WR and QB. It would mess ANYBODY up! ! ! Great decision by Frazier.

The other thing he said was that they will pay attention to suggestions by players. I think that has to happen. Not that you always do what they ask, but maybe sometimes it’s a good idea, and the player will work harder to make sure the play works.

20. By Dyelan on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Yea I agree Taylor Mays or even Bigby. Perhaps we can give up some depth on D-Line to get him. We should have drafted Mays now we have a chance to get him. We can’t go into the season with the guys we have.

21. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

can’t say s c r e w

22. By Question on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I thought Kevin Williams dropped his appeal for his 4 game susp during the off season so if that is the case we are going to need some help on that Def line early in the season. I would think that would cause them to use a extra roster spot on the Def line to start the year. So does that cost them from having a extra WR, CB or LB, all spots I feel we need some good depth at.

23. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@dyelan,

I looked up Taylor Mays’ Wiki. He is 6’3″ 230 pounds and runs a 4.4 40 yd dash!

This is a guy who would help the Vikings.

Why is he available?

24. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I saw an article written by Mike Sando, who said that the 49ers sent e-mails to every NFL team saying Mays was available for trade.

What a lousy way to run an organization. No wonder they found Iron Mike Singletary not good enough !

25. By animal26 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Steve Hutchinson is hurt again? Not liking that one bit, the offensive line is already looking shaky. hope the shoulder isn’t too serious.

26. By vikesfan98 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

were so f***ed this year unfortunatly

27. By PURPLEHORNET76 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Vikes dont think they need a db.Mays would mean spend more money…how much salery cap do the vikes have left 2 spend. Id bet not much…….

28. By PURPLEHORNET76 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Dont think front office is keen on giving away any trades either……

29. By Parody on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

The communist censors run a tight ship around here Fred. Just about any word that has a sexual connotation on the street is banned. I’m extremely surprised that they aren’t blocking “sexual”!

Who’s in charge of deciding our morals for us anyways?

30. By 4eversteve on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

One has to wonder why the Niner’s are already willing to trade this guy away, that being said if Mike Singletary thought that this is a player worth going to bat for, he would have been more than likely in the Vikings brass offices saying do what you have to in order to obtain this guy. Somehow I don’t think that’s going to happen with the salary cap in play this season and maybe this kid is not the player his measurable scream out, there is a reason he is that he is on the block so early in his career, Just say-in.

31. By Woodboat on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@ hans…. huh? Griffen has great abilities and T Johnson is one of the better safeties in the league? When did THAT happen? Oh, and who is our 3rd great LB… Singletary? :)

Winfield is a great tackling CB, Griffen is a decent tackling CB. Neither are good cover guys. Johnson hasn’t done a thing in this league to make me think he’s in the top half of starting safeties. We are shallow at DB…. but we’ve got what we’ve got. Let’s hope they improve.

I think Robison is going to do just fine at DE. It will be hard to compare him and Edwards because the Williams boys aren’t going to be there eating up blockers. He did fine last year coming in to spell Edwards, and he’ll be do just as well this year. I hope our DTs can fill the void.

32. By Woodboat on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I think a great deal of the failure of our defense last year was, I hate to say it, coaching. The defense didn’t really seem to start clicking until late in the season, after Frazier had taken over as head coach. The games were called a little less vanilla, and the defense started putting some pressure on the QB. I bash our DBs mercilessly, but the top guys in the league can’t guard the WRs when the p@ss rush is giving the QB all day to find them. A strong p@ss rush will help out our mediocre DBs tremendously.

33. By wisvikesfan on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

hey has anyone heard about the possible trade for Taylor Mays?? i would be ecstatic if this were true he is a play maker and we need one at safety what do you fans think?

34. By Arrow86 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I was just on NFL.com and I didn’t see anything about a possible trade for Mays on there. It’s not that it couldn’t be happening, though. I see Mays made 38 tackles and 1 forced fumble last year.

35. By hicohornet on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

We need a defensive back badly. I’ll put a 3rd round pick and/or Toby Gerhart on the trading block for a young defensive back. We been needing someone ever since Darren Sharper left. Maybe bring him back at a cheap price and let him teach to our younger players for one year so he can retire a Viking. We do have enough cap space to sign one more player but I doubt the organization wants to trade. Wishful thinking.

36. By hicohornet on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

We can always find a number 2 running back they are dime a dozen. To come in for only 4-10 touches a game.

37. By hicohornet on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I mean we are paying Toby good money 2nd round price money for him when we already have a RB what where they thinking anyways?

38. By hicohornet on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Getting Asante would be freaking awesome!

39. By Parody on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@hicohornet – Times have changed. Teams need two strong running backs these days. AP is awesome, but even he can’t do it all. Having a great duo of rushers will help to open up the passing game and make the offense much more dynamic.

40. By hicohornet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

There’s plenty of good back ups. We can easily find someone to replace Toby. I would much rather have Asante or a young corner/db with great skills than a back up running back like Toby any day. We gain more at db which we need to do and we can sacrifice just a hair at the number 2 hb spot. And easily find a replacement.

41. By hicohornet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Besides I wouldn’t call Tolby a “great” runner Parody. There where better half backs on the market or for trade.

42. By mike the great on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

there trading drc now not asante anymore i feel thats even better they want 2nd or 3rd round picks and woodboat i see u really know football

43. By mike the great on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

i say get him we wont find any corner as good as him in those rounds next year anyways but i think there waiting untill they have there cuts or first preseason game

44. By Rudso on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

hicohornet, Toby was a rookie backing up AP during a bad year and you already want to send him off. I’m sure there is a reason we picked a truck like Toby in the 2nd round. I’m sure the plan with Toby and Peterson is to pound the defense with our run.

I like Toby a lot. If AP goes down, god I hope not, I’m not worried with Toby in the back pounding the defense. His a starting caliber RB in my eyes. He seems to get better with the more touches he gets. We all know AP is special and it would be a shame to work him like a horse for 16+ games when Toby can take a lot of that pressure and we have a fresh and healthy AP for the entire season.

What other RB tandem is scarier? Do you want AP to run you over or would you prefer for Toby to truck you?

45. By Frederick Jones on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

I don’t know what the solution is however to the censoring problem. I wouldn’t like it if it were so easy to swear that you could use it as part of your blog name ! If that were the case, I’d stop blogging.

I’m not so perfect that I never swear.

Deliberate and conscious swearing, I have a problem with that ! ! !

46. By Parody on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

@Fred – I could use swears as my blog name just as easily as I have worked them (or words that the site considers swears) into my comments. I choose not to because I set higher standards for myself.

However, I view the efforts to censor the media as counterproductive. The more things get censored, the filthier that the public’s mouths become. Why? Because people don’t like to be controlled by someone else’s standards, and because we are rebellious by nature.

I can’t tell you how many times that I’ve suppressed devious ideas brought on by the control of censoring my writing. This isn’t to say that I always hold back, but I believe that I am much more restrained than many others would be had they formed similar ideas.

47. By casper on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

The vikings need terrell owens and taylor mays. Either one super bowl and also need a db. look at what the defence did last year nothing they got shut down. Need a Db ASAP!