Get To Know Michael Jenkins

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 7, 2011 – 2:11 pm

He wasn’t on the team last year and he wasn’t allowed to practice until Thursday, but WR Michael Jenkins is a player Vikings fans should get to know. At 6-4, 214 pounds, Jenkins will provide Vikings QBs with a big target in the passing game and his familiarity with the offense will make him a leader in the WR group both on the field and in the meeting room.

Should he be the #1 WR on your fantasy team? Maybe not. But he should be a player you get to know because I think he’ll be a factor for the Vikings this season and hopefully for many seasons down the road. I wrote last night that he was a player who stood out in Saturday night’s practice and I anticipate he’ll continue to standout this training camp and the preseason.

Here is a quote from Musgrave on Jenkins: “I think both (WRs coach) George Stewart and I are excited about the prospect of acquiring Mike Jenkins. He’s a solid player. He’s accountable. You get his best every day. He has his strengths and limitations like all of us in every facet of life. We’re excited because he knows our system a little bit better than everybody else because he’s had more time on task over the last three years.

Also, we caught up with Jenkins after practice last week for a quick interview. Check it out by clicking here.

Tags:
Posted in All | 81 Comments »

81 Responses to “Get To Know Michael Jenkins”

1. By Parody on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I need to see more out of Jenkins. He wasn’t horrible in last night’s practice, but he wasn’t showing me that he’s a lock for one of the top-3 WR spots either.

Jaymar Johnson, Aromashodu, Camarillo, Arceneaux, and now Dominique Johnson all are making good arguments for themselves to deserve a position on the roster. Bigger names like Jenkins should be making even better arguments.

I can concede that it was just one day, and with everything going on across the field, I might have missed out on some of Jenkins’ performance. So I’ll be patient and wait for a few preseason games to get a better feel for his value, but I will be expecting a lot from him.

2. By Tyler on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I haven’t much about Arceneaux.What do you think he could bring to the offense?

3. By Vking56 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Mike W and all football fans I have a question for you. As a viking fan watching the HOF on Saturday it made me think, so below are some stats player A and player B tell me which one you think should be in the HOF.

Player A games 203 Player B 232
    Player A games started 150 Player B 142
    Player A sacks 137.5 Player B 150.5
    Player A int 8 Player B int 8
    Player A Forced Fumbles 37 Player B 44
    Player A fumble rec 13 Player B 24
    Player A tackles 671 Player B 914

Well I know if I was just looking at the stats player B is the guy in the HOF right? Wrong player A is Richard Dent who went into the HOF and player B is Chris Doleman. Give me a break how long will the voters pass him over.

4. By Remember Met Stadium on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Dent won a super bowl, Doleman didnt. Sorry to say but that seems to be the deciding factor on the HoF. Look how long it took Paul Krause to get in and he has an interception record that is in no danger of being broken anytime soon.

5. By Daniel on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Jenkins and Berrian will be fine. You can tell they are Deep route go to guys. Look how many weapons we have. Great, good for us. But what about our line? Will it hold? What about our coverage? Those two areas are what drives me crazy about our team. So we can stop the run. GREAT! But what about the pass? So we have a great run game, But what about the pass? I like how the team is set up but those two spots are a concern.

6. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Frazier told reporters the Vikings expect to enter the year with 5 wide receivers on the roster.

That tells me Joe Webb will fill 2 rolls – #3Qb and #6 WR.

So, I think it is safe to say that Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian, and Micheal Jenkins are the top 3 WRs right now. We need a punt returner, so either Greg Camarillo or Jaymar Johnson will be WR #4. Jaymar is a better deep threat and appears to be having a much better camp.

The final 2 WR spots will come down to:
    Greg Camarillo
    Devin Aromashodu
    Emmanuel Arceneaux
    Stephen Burton
    Juaquin Iglesias
    Andre Holmes

7. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I forgot to add Dominique Johnson to the list of guys fighting for those last 2 wr spots. my bad.

We will have to cut some good WRs.

8. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I can’t count!
    All those guys are fighting for 1 roster spot not 2.

9. By sandiamond on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Carl we actually need Camarillo in the early part of the season with sure handed returns and short catches until the offense gels. Could we swap roster as a fullback or something?

10. By PBizzle on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I was unimpressed with camarillo last year. It could be because i was used to seeing Percy returning kicks and it is unfair to compare the two. I still feel like the Vikes need someone more explosive returning. Especially with the returners losing yardage on kickoffs.

11. By sandiamond on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I think we have already found our 6th WR………big guy ap

12. By RANDY on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

LETS GO AFTER DARREN SHARPER!

13. By CHRIS on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

WE WANT SHARPER!

14. By LEGOVIKES on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Lets get darren sharper is right! he’s great!

15. By bigvikesfan12 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

we need a new safety! darren sharper maybe?

16. By ap-ad28 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

we need help at the safety position!

17. By jerry on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

should of got malcom floyd…….

18. By fuzzy on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Thank you, Carl K, for recognizing the fact that we will have to cut some good receivers. I’m tired of everyone talking about how we don’t have good receivers on this team. When the day comes, we’ll have to start making some tough cuts. That being said, I don’t think Jaymar is a lock to make it. Percy, BB, and Jenkins will make it, but those final two spots (assuming that’s what they stick with) will be either Jaymar, Greg, Devin, Manny, Stephen, Juaquin, Andre, or Dominique. If I had to choose it would be Jaymar and Devin, maybe Stephen.

Mike W, what have you seen of Manny and Stephen, I don’t think I’ve heard anything.

19. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

get lofa tatupu to replace leber, darren sharper to replace madieu. cut some wr’s. we have like, a thousand now. we have the potebtial to make to the superbowl. easily. just play the free agent cards right!1!!

20. By sandiamond on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

including eric frampton there are currently 2 safety slots open with rookies listed. How many S are on the roster at regular season?

21. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

PFT- reports that the Vikings are under the cap by just under 1 mil.
    That will NOT be enough money to sign a safety like Sharper or Taylor Mays.

So if the Vikings are going to pick up a safety they will need to cut a high dollar guy or resign AP or Greenway to a new long term contract to make additional cap room.

Who are the high dollar guys the Vikings could possiblly cut to make room for a safety?
    Kleinsasage
    Camarillo
    Herrera

I am sorry sandiamond, but if Jaymar and Jenkins continues to look good… I am afraid Camarillo might get cut… especially if there is a safety available in the next couple of weeks that the Vikings might like.

22. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

i wouldnt mid greg getting cut

23. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

carl k, your one smart fella

24. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I know its not likely the case, but I don’t think Berrians name should be written in ink as one of the 5 WRs to be kept on the roster. He has been inconsistant the entire time he’s been on this team, and unless I missed a restructuring (which is entirely possible), he has a rather large contract counting against the cap. If one of these young guys is making a better showing during this training camp, I say keep them and try to trade (unlikely) or cut BB. Save some cash, get younger, and maybe get yourself a more reliable WR.

I don’t see any reason why the team should show Berrian any more loyalty than they’d show any other player. Honestly, when is the last time you’ve seen Berrian break off his route to contest a poorly thrown ball? Never?

Again, I think the only 2 players that should be written in ink are Harvin and Jenkins, and Jenkins only because he’s a big(ish) name that they just signed. Nobody is going to give up their tickets if Berrian is gone.

25. By sandiamond on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

They want Herrera to start if healthy

really don’t matter just cut somebody to add a good sound player!

26. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and how old is Sharper… .like 150? I think he’s older than I am and I am grey whiskered and bald! :) Yeah, if we could get the Sharper from 10 years ago, sure, but now? Pffft, please…..

27. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

great point. your right. how do u feel about sharper?

28. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

sorry. didnt mean to send that. slow computer……

29. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

i do like those pick 6’s he had for new orleans not to long ago thoughhh…..

30. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@fuzzy – other webs sites have said Stephen Burton had a bad week of the slippery pigskin hands.

31. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

just how good is aromashodu? i have no knowledge on him…..

32. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Camarillos problem is that he is a natural slot guy. He doesn’t have the speed to outplay the others as a wideout. Couple that with the fact that our best WR, Harvin, plays best from the slot, and that leaves Greg as the odd man out. A pity, really, because he catches the ball (unlike some others… coughcoughBerriancoughcough……). That being said, I don’t think it’ll be the end of his career if he gets cut, their are plenty of teams that could use a reliable slot guy.

33. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@smart… The bears don’t have a reliable WR on their roster…. and they let him go. That should tell us something…..

34. By smart77 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

very true…

35. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

One thing that I think should be a telling factor in their choice of who to keep at WR is who is willing to stick their nose in there and block for #28 and company. The Steelers are a force because their WRs will lay suckers . We need some of that from our crew.

36. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Lay suckers OUT. OUT is an important word in that sentence. Sorry.

37. By apguy28! on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

vikes have to get a good player from somewhere. #28 is gunna realize he cant carry the vikes forever…..

38. By skolvikes on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

are we kepping leber? what do we do about the saftey position?!?!? id like to think we have a shot this season. but i dont know. can somebody give me some positive vikings news:)?

39. By Titus on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

With Jenkins and Berrian, we will do just fine.

40. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I think Leber is out. Safety position… I’d say that if you are a prone to praying, you start doing so.

I think that the concerns that we all had at the end of last year, namely the O Line and our DBs, are still valid concerns. All we can do is hope that our CBs stay healthy, that our young Safties continue to improve (rapidly), and that our O-Line somehow gels into a cohesive unit, and that our new offensive coaching staff does a better job with their schemes to protect our QB and get the ball to our RBs and WRs with some running room.

If healthy, I think our defense will be near the middle of the pack in standings. Our offense will go as our O Line goes.

41. By Woodboat on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@Titus… are your really sold on Berrian? Really? Man, I just don’t see it…. maybe its just me. If I see him give up on a ball one more time, I think I’m going to do something drastic… like continue cursing :) Maybe his claim last year that he was going to turn it around will come true this year… here’s hoping.

Seriously, though, why do you think he’s going to be good?

42. By skolvikes on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

would you get lofa tatupu in lebers spot?

43. By Garrett on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I am still worried about our pass defense…from the highlight videos (I know they are highlights but still the DB’s are getting beat BAD) our pass defense is looking terrible. Maybe it’s not as bad as I think, but the training camp videos are making our secondary look just like they did last year…terrible.

44. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Guys, I have been out of the country for 3 wks. Did we re-sign Pat Williams? What happened with Mc Kinney? If anyone can please update me on any trades or aquisitions, I would appreciate it. I know Mcnabb is here and Longwell. I know that Sidney is gone…..what else? Gracias…… Sue

45. By Titus on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat— In the NFC championship game, Berrrian came up BIG on at least two or three plays that had someone not, it would have been fourth down. He is capable– we just need to get him to eat a little more.

46. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@Sue G Vike4ever:

McKinnie came in way over weight and was released from the team. Pat Williams is not on the roster and is an unrestricted free agent.

@Everyone else:

Watching the video highlights of practice I was impressed with the size of our receivers and that our QB’s were very accurate with their throws, I didn’t know if the positive receptions was more selective editing, or our seconday is MIA?

47. By Mike B on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@Sue G Pat W is still on the FA list waiting on a team. Big Mac reported to camp out of shape and way overwieght. He was cut.

WR I am not sure that either Jamar Johnson or Camarillio are safe. I would say it’s a competition for those last spots. I am sure the cost of the player for #4 and #5 WR would come into play too. Only WR that are safe is the three already mentioned.

Bamar and Dugan are probably out I think its a leap to think Kliensasser would be cut.

48. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Last year early in the season to Chilly’s credit, he went for it on 4th and less than a yard. Unfortunately, we were not very successful. Hopefully, Musgrave and Frazier will refine the approach to increase our success rate, or upgrade our O-line.

49. By Mike B on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Sharper is going to demand a hefty price even on a one year contract and will probably want a 3 yr contract. As others have said does Sharper still have gas in the tank. Remembering back will he be more concerned about INTs that playing his position. He likes to freelance to get in a position to get the ball. I am not sure that’s a fit in Fraziers scheme.

50. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

The interview I saw with Jenkins showed he’s a likeable guy and said the things you want to hear from a quality teammate. I would love it if this is a fantastic season with Antoine Winfield getting to play in a Super Bowl. The 2003 Steelers were 6-10 and won the 2004 Super Bowl.

51. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Mike B: The Vikings parted ways with Sharper rather abruptly after 2009. Based on how the Vikings players went after him in the NFC Championship I’m not sure he was well regarded among his Viking teammates. He also had a leg injury that really decreased his production in 2010, and he’s not as young as he used to be. If teams felt he could upgrade their safety position, I think his phone would have rang by now. That’s just my take. Also, the fact the Vikings are clearing out his authentic “Replica” home jersey for $9.95 tells me they don’t have any plans to bring him in anytime soon.

52. By Titus on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I believe this is our time.

53. By Mike B on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

i agree Arrow I think that others should look at whole picture when they say that want this player or that player on the Vikings. Moss will never be back in Vikings Uniform except maybe that one day to say he retired a Viking if he wishes. Shaper isn’t a fit either. Coach is putting together a team with drive and motivation to win now. I can’t see them adding a player that wants to pad the state book. No herschel walker moments with Coach Fraizer that’s something to respect.

54. By DuaneN on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Berrian and McNabb will work better than Favre and Berrian in my opinion. Didn’t seem like Berrian liked how Favre threw the ball.

@Woodboat he did restructure his contract.

If they need to cut somebody I think it should be Kleinsasser. They never use him in games.

55. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@Duane N: You probably saw the same Berrian interview I did. Since he and McNabb couldn’t practice until Thursday, they went to a high school in Mankato and worked out together. I think those gestures show that they are committed to making the best of this season. Time will tell…

56. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

NFL network has “Hardknocks with the Cincinnati Bengals” that ought to be a yawner.

57. By Mike B on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Be glad we don’t have Rex Ryan as a coach. Shaun Ellis signs with the patriouts and will not wish him well. This guy has no class. I am not sure why he’s even allow to coach in the NFL.

58. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Mike B:

He has a billionaire owner who wants to win. The New York media loves the guy. Mark Sanchez is good, but I’m still not sure he’s great. The nice thing is everyone keeps waiting for the Jets to win the big one and get to a Super Bowl, but hopefully this year they’ll really get kicked.

59. By Arrow86 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I am more excited about the Vikes this year than last year. I think all of us are more realistic about what our weaknesses were last year. We came off of such high hopes. I commend the Coaches and front office to this point with the moves made in a short period of time to improve this team.

60. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Top NEW blogger names seen recently:

Ted Brown 23
    Odin’s One Good Eye (lol)

61. By randy28yo on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

ok, so the vikes say they want a veteran so they get donovan mcnabb to help out….. well i hope they take a look at our saftey situation…
    i feel like darren sharper (being a great free agent veteran) would honestly be a great fit. cut camarillo or berrian to free up some $$$. were set at the WR spot. lets work on thos DB’s

62. By randy28yo on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

yeah, maybe darren wants a ton of money…. but he really shouldnt expect much seeing as if he hasnt been picked up by anybody yet! i want a sharper return. idk,, maybe im crazy.

63. By Rocksalt on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

camarillo was vitually invisible last year

64. By Rocksalt on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

berrian has yet to live up to his value

65. By MGR4FUN on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

i am really gonna enjoy watchin mr84 play in purple … two things i know about him … he was the guy who caught matt ryan’s 1st nfl pass in a regular season game (a 60 yd td) … the other he said out right that he enjoys blockin down field for adrian and toby … not many receivers say that outright it draws attention to their blockin skillz and this young man seems to say lets get it on … i like that alot … not to mention his size and his hands … i think a gr8 selection to fill the spot left by sidney

66. By vikefan on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

what do you think top 5 WR are
    1 harvin
    2 jenkins
    3 berrian
    4 aromashodu
    5 holmes or johson really like holmes

67. By y55 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

id definetly take darren sharper

68. By Ponder5000 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

@vikefan johnson? i think that jaymar johnson is a little bit better but they should both be kept knowing that the vikings have a great history with WR’s (Moss,Carter,Rice,Harvin) maybe one game Aromashodu steps up and becomes that great WR that everyone keeps complaining about. But there is also another good option maybe Joe Webb becomes a WR and goes in as a Wildcat QB???. Vikings will always have good WR’s no matter what.

69. By peever on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

who has number 17 in camp? what became of greg lewis

70. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Greg Lewis has gone into the Witness Protection Program,, spending the rest of his life hiding out from 49er fans.

71. By Titus on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Vikings 24, Chargers 17

72. By NovaScotiaVike on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I have got to give you credit for your eternal optimism….I hope you’re right.

73. By mike the great on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

just because webb plays qb and runs good doesn’t mean he is a great wr wildcat would be perfect for him but thinkin he will just ball at wr is too much not saying he is not good but a few runs at qb an everyone thinks he is a superstar any wr at qb dat runs 4.4 should do that all am saying

74. By mike the great on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

and devin if given the chance to me will be a good wr on the day that kid has alot of talent

75. By Derek on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

These should be the 4 starting WR’s. Harvin, Jenkins, Berrian, and Camarillo. I think Camarillo has good hands!

76. By Frederick Jones on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

We are lucky to get Don McNabb. Don is the third winniest active QB in the NFL, and is among only 5 QBs all-time to run for 3000 yards, and also p a s s for 30,000 yards.

If he has the supporting cast, the Vikings should make the playoffs. The Washington Redskins have not had a winning team in several seasons now.

77. By Tim on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb will do great things in Minnesota.

78. By peever on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

boy does devin look a lot like rice at practice….hope he can play like that in games

79. By chad on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

We need to go out there right now and sign Darren Sharper. We should have never let him go in the first place. Vikings fans lets all support this decision. Remember sharper did finally get a superbowl ring.

80. By justin on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

darren sharper is not a good fit for our defense. In new orleans he just sat back, played centerfield and waited for the quarterback to make a mistake. in our cover 2 defense sharper will be to slow. remember his last year with us? he only had 1 pick. that’s all we’d get from him if he came back, and of course he’d want a big contract. it would be a mistake to pursue sharper.

81. By govikes on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Our top recevers should be:
    Harvin