Peterson Back In Camp, Committed To 2011 Season

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 5, 2011 – 9:46 am

Vikings superstar RB Adrian Peterson is back at 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp after being away for a few days due to the birth of his baby boy. Peterson, who flew back to Houston to be with his family, said his new son’s name is Adrian, Jr.

“It’s been pretty exciting,” Peterson said. “I’ve had time to go back and spend time with my son. It was fun to sit back and hold him. Just the whole experience. But I’m back here and focused on football. I’m ready to get the ball rolling.”

And the Vikings are ready to give the ball to Peterson. He’s the crown jewel of an offense that will surely feature him frequently. Bill Musgrave’s offense will be quite different from the scheme Peterson has played in for all four of his seasons, but Peterson seems to embrace the challenge of learning a new system and he also seems to think the new system will fit him well.

“There are a lot of changes,” Peterson commented. “Obviously it’s different terminology, the running back is definitely asked to do a lot more and I’m excited about it. Different formations and different looks that the running backs have…[it's] outside of the box. I’m excited to get this instilled in my mind, this playbook, and then get out there on Sundays and showcase the new Vikings offense.”

On Peterson’s first day back with the club, he met with reporters after the Friday morning walk-through. Because he’s entering the last year of his rookie contract, he was persistently asked about his satisfaction with his contractual status and with any progress that might (or might not) be happening on a new deal to keep him in Minnesota. Unlike what we see from so many superstars in sports, though, Peterson didn’t seem worried about his contract. He was clearly more focused on getting back onto the field and playing football.

“I’m comfortable with where I’m at,” Peterson insisted. “I’m committed to my deal. It’s obviously the last year of my deal so I have guys that take care of that for me. I let those guys handle that. For now I’m focused on football; I’m not worried about contract at all. At all. My main focus is on doing what I can do, learn this offense and help the Minnesota Vikings win a Super Bowl.”

When asked again if he was comfortable playing while in the final year of his contract, Peterson reiterated his commitment to the team and to the season.

“I’m here,” he said. “I’m here and ready to roll for training camp. I haven’t thought about contract. That’s where I’m at.

“The only thing I can control is what I do. And that’s coming out and helping the Vikings get [wins]. I feel like as long as I continue to do that, then everything else will take care of itself.”

27 Responses to “Peterson Back In Camp, Committed To 2011 Season”

1. By Russ on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I just wish more players had the same attitude towards playing and contracts as AP does. More focus on playing than what his contract should be doing…Got to love the guy! AP…Keep us rollin’!

2. By Adam on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

That’s the perfect attitude for a true franchise player.

3. By doug on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I just hope the front office doesn’t play games and wait until the end of the season to open up talks. They should do it now and show how important he is to the team. They shouldn’t risk losing him. No AP makes the stadium deal alot tougher.

4. By Arrow86 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

With the abuse that A.P. takes because of his hard running style, it does say a lot about his character that he isn’t talking about his contract, or hinting about other teams he’d like to play for. I hate it when guys do that, I’m glad A.P. is letting his football do the talking.

5. By purplehorn on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Congrats on your new baby boy A.P.! The league has an APB out for him in about 21 years…..

6. By xvike on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

LOL i agree but then again he shouldnt be complaining because he is making over 10mil this year. Now if he was making what chris johnson was making which is less than 1mil, yeah i bet he would be complaining too. I think that CJ has a right to sit out. He agreed last year to about a 700k increase on his contract for the previous year after rushing for 2k yards with a promise from the team that they would get him a new deal b4 this season started. And they failed to do that. I think he’s supposed to make 800k this year. CJ just understands that this is after all a business. The owners don’t care about the players. They ask the players to be loyal to the team, but they can cut the players at any point for no reason. Where is the owner’s loyalty to the players? Say CJ gets a serious injury and the team cuts him. He would have never been compensated for what he did in 2009. Not to mention he also had a solid rookie and 3rd year. Nothing wrong with what CJ is doing. He just wants his well deserved share of the pie. I guess what im trying to say is if a player has been way underpaid for their production like CJ2k, then they have the right to sit out and demand more money. Other than that, i do agree that more players should have AD’s attitude when it comes to contracts and stuff off the field.

7. By 3DONTHERADIO on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

You da man AP ! Hope you have your best year ever. Congratulations on your baby boy ! You’re a great running back but I hope you’ll be an even greater Father!

8. By Frederick Jones on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@dyelan and other Berrian doubters,

First off remember that Berrian had lots of injury problems last season, including the dreaded Hamstring Pull.

He did have a game where he snared 9 p a s s e s for about 85 yards.

When healthy, Bernard Berrian is capable of near Pro Bowl play!

9. By Frederick Jones on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

31 is not too old for a comeback, for Bernard Berrian.

Joe Webb can play wide receiver. However for some reason it scares me
    when people talk about it. Joe is a quarterback, and always has been one !

10. By Bigfan1 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

AP has a great attitude.

11. By vikings4life on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Please Mike Please tell Rick or Leslie to do anything to sign AP to a LONG term deal Why do the vikings do this, it is the worst managment you can have dont get me wrong i LOVE the way we usually draft and buliding through the draft is the best way to make a great franchise, but it isnt just drafting them is ensuring that you keep your best draft picks lately we have been forgetting that Ray edwards, Sidney, and we had many chances to resign them but decided not to becasue….. i mean i cant think of one reason people will bring up the risk of rice and his injury but i have never understood this, we were scared to bring back and pay a 24 year old but we were okay paying FAVRE 1 MILLION EVERY GAME!!! KNOWING HE COULD GET KNOCKED OUT ANY MOMENT it just kills me as a viking fan because from everyhting i have seen Rick speilemen only cares about drafting the players but not resigning them

12. By vikings4life on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Sidney would of never wanted 16 million a year and unless it was what he wanted then OKAY dont sign him but he is so young if you take a risk on anyone with injury it hsould be a young player instead of one who is 40, there are only negatives to not signing AP for 5 more years, lets say his production reduces well since he is under contract we could then trade him and get compensation but I PROMISE I PROMISE I PROMISE if he becomes a free agent he will never wear a vikings uniform again, this is somehting that could truly destroy the vikings we loose AP we loose the VIkings

13. By Daniel on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

att all blogers and vikes fans. Everyone Push for Taylor mays. That would be a big time steal. We need everone on board on this. Reunite Mays with singleterry!

14. By Daniel on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

come on mike w! work the carma magic!

15. By Moss Fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall … whats the square root of 7056 ?

16. By NY Viking on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

“Coming out and helping the Vikings win…..as long as I continue to do that, then everything else will take care of itself”. That is why AP is a superstar performer.

17. By Clyde L on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Congrats on the little one AP. Wishing you continued success as your career moves forward. As a former coach it is very refreshing to see a player who is all about the success of the team. Continue to be the person you are and God will continue to bless you. The Vikings organization has made some questionable moves in the past, but they are not that stupid to let the best running back in the league get away. AP is the best, great attitude, a leader, hard worker, and excellent role model, what team would not want to keep that type of player.

18. By CA Norwegian on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Are you people screaming for a new contract for Adrian nuts? RBs like to leave early, so let them work it out when it is time… I want him to stay too, but to think we should state terms etc. in a blog is way wrong, especially when he said he is abiding by his deal and is thinking football. There is OCU complex here. CONGRATS SUPERMAN, now teach them other vikes to hang on to the ball!

19. By skolpurpleandgold on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Congats AP. Your a good man and a great player. Hope other players look to you as an example of what a football player should be like. Honor your contract. Tear ‘em up on the field big guy. I’m sure the Vikes will make him happy with a nice contract next year.

20. By vikesfansteve on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

None of you remember the 3 fumbles vs the Saints after fumbling away home field advantage vs the Bears. How about the slave comment. The fact he doesn’t know how to block.

Hope they can resign him. Remember when Robert Smith abruptly retired after the 2000 season with no warning to the team & set the Vikings back for nearly 5 yrs.

21. By NJVikesFan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike W – I hope you are man enough to own up to the fact that you were dead wrong all last year on McKinnie. When all of us were saying he was one of the biggest liabilities on the OL, you dismissed all the fans by saying “well you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about because he gets high grades from all the coaches “. Now that McKinnie’s been cut, McNabb at least has a chance to stay on his feet…GO VIKES!

22. By Frederick Jones on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@Vikings4Life,

I doubt very many of us know what the heck you were talking about in
    your last blog.

It is necessary to use periods, commas, and blank spaces to make what you write more readable.

Unless, of course, you don’t want us to understand what you are trying to say!

23. By Arrow86 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@VikesfanSteve

I’m a huge Robert Smith fan. It seemed like his disgust was less about $$$ and more about Denny Green’s wacky rules that applied to everyone but Moss. Smith is a genious. He doesn’t need to abuse his body at a young age, when he has talents off the field to make a sizeable income.

24. By Arrow86 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@NJVikesfan:

Don’t expect Wobs to be trashing Viking players. I’m sure Viking management, coaches, and even players peruse his work. If someone at your workplace posted on a website that you’re a worthless employee, you probably wouldn’t rush to give them an interview when you land the big deal. His job is to give us topics that support the team’s day to day operations. It’s more open ended, and encourages more of our opinions and insights.

25. By Arrow86 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@vikings4life

I don’t know Adrian Peterson personally. With the way he was smiling and deflecting the topic about his contract, I’m sure he and his agent have had some discussions with the Vikes, if he’s not worried about it at the moment, I’m not going to worry about it either.

26. By smelldaroses on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

You have to believe that AP is giving his best public relations response. He’d be benched if he came out and said. “Man, I’m not doing anything until I get my contract…” All this talk goes under the table. It would be naive to think that he hasn’t been approached by every team in the league already…

27. By #1Vikingfanofalltime on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

AP Does have the best attitude for the team, league, and the young people with dreams. More players need to be about the game and not the money. Congrats on your boy, and good luck this season AP! :)