Jared Allen, Michael Jenkins And Adrian Peterson Shine At Practice #8

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 5, 2011 – 5:17 pm

Friday was the best day of practice so far at 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp and the outstanding work on the field was seen by the biggest crowd of camp to this point and also most pleasant weather conditions. Mild temperatures, a slight breeze and complete cloud cover provided a nice break from the bright sun and humid conditions we’ve seen for most of the week.

The afternoon practice on Friday was a full pads, full contact affair and the intensity continued to rise. Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier is guiding a smooth ship so far during his first training camp as a head coach. The intensity has steadily risen each day, crowds continue to get larger and there’s not an assistant coach I’ve spoken to who hasn’t said that his guys have improved each day.

The players that really stood out to me on Friday were DE Jared Allen, WR Michael Jenkins and RB Adrian Peterson. I’ll say a little bit about each of the three players…

– Allen is having an outstanding camp and no one has been able to slow him down. Vikings QBs should be very thankful for the invention of the red jerseys that signify they are off limits from being hit, because Allen would have VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman looking for new passers if he was able to finish the plays he’s been making in the backfield. This is great news for the Vikings because having Allen at his best will help not only the defensive line look good, but it will also help the back end of the defense as they try and defend the pass. Less time for the opposing QB to find receivers means the Vikings secondary’s job gets a lot easier.

– Friday was just the second time Jenkins put on the pads for the Vikings because he was a player operating under a new contract, which meant that he couldn’t practice until the CBA was ratified (that happened on Thursday). But already Jenkins looks like a natural fit in this Vikings offense. McNabb and Jenkins connected for long receptions twice in the early part of full team drills. The first reception was deep down the right sideline and the second reception was in traffic as Jenkins sprinted down the right seam. We’ll have more from Jenkins later tonight because we taped an interview with him on the field right after practice. So stay tuned for that.

– Peterson returned from Houston last night and was back on the field this morning for the walk-through. He of course looked good at the walk-through – it’s natural for athletic specimens such as Peterson to look good while practicing in shorts and no pads – but he looked even better this afternoon when everyone strapped on their pads. Early on in practice was a 9-on-7 period, where nine offensive players go against seven defenders in a drill that features run plays only. This is one of my favorite drills because of the collisions that take place between the two lines and because you can really see which group – the defensive line or the offensive line – is getting more push and is winning more plays. It’s rare for a RB to go through the drill untouched, but Peterson did it twice in three carries on Friday. Also, Peterson was a major factor in the passing game on Friday. He was the reason McNabb and Jenkins connected on their first long reception because E.J. Henderson was coming in on a blitz and Peterson picked it up beautifully. Peterson hauled in at least three catches that I saw for long gains as well, including one down the right sideline that required him to slow down, spin around and leap before hauling in the football and then sprinting toward the endzone. I’m glad Peterson is on this team.

A Few Notes
— Former Gopher Marcus Sherels continues to stand out. He even grabbed an INT during Friday’s afternoon practice.
— Devon Torrence, an undrafted free agent who went to Ohio State and even played pro baseball before coming to camp with the Vikings, also grabbed an INT during Friday’s afternoon practice. He might be a guy to keep an eye on as a surprise bubble player who could content for a roster spot.
— Both CB Chris Cook and LB Erin Henderson dropped INTs on Friday afternoon. In my estimation both of these guys are having nice camps and it’s certainly great that they got their hands on a couple of passes, but those dropped INTs can be killers for defenses.

The Eye Test
Passing Friday’s eye test were: FB Matt Asiata, DEs Jared Allen and Everson Griffen, WR Michael Jenkins and RB Adrian Peterson.

Asiata is a little-known FB out of the University of Utah and was probably considered an extreme longshot to make the team. But I must say that I’ve really liked what I’ve seen to this point. He’s actually shifty and has good speed. I will pay more attention to his skills as a lead blocker, since that is what a FB does more times than not.

Griffen, I’m told, is having a nice camp and is showing up quite a bit on tape. This isn’t something I picked up on myself, but I’ll be sure to make note of it and follow up with an observation or two on the blog in the next couple of days.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Jared Allen, Michael Jenkins And Adrian Peterson Shine At Practice #8”

1. By Frederick Jones on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Marcus Sherels is an overachiever at cornerback for the Vikings. Not only is he quick, he justs well, and is tough. He is a potential starter in the NFL!

2. By Josh Fitzer on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

All of this sounds amazing! I’m glad the Vikings went and got Michael Jenkins, he is going to fit well with the Vikings.

3. By Mike B on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Malcom Floyd got resigned by the chargers today. That ends that.

4. By Moss Fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

It sounds like we are going to suck at LT this year, Jared Allen may be having a good camp but for two straight days our LT cant block him …. thats not good and if it doesnt get settled I will change my prediction from a wild card team to 8-8 tops. The lockout really hurt us by not allowing us to keep an eye on how many Big Macs McKinnie was eating :(

5. By Julien on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

This all sounds very promising and I’m very exited. However, apparently the new left tackle isn’t doing well, I saw we put him at RG and sign someone else for LT.

6. By Woodboat on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@ Moss Fan… I was thinking the same thing while reading this post. Either Allen is kicking @ss or our LT is junk. With the poor O Line play our team has exhibited the last 2 years, Peterson being able to get 3 good runs through the line makes me worry about the overall quality of our D Line.

I think this will really separate the gl@ss half full/half empty fans during the preseason. Unfortunately, I find myself on the gl@ss half empty side. Hopefully seeing them in preseason will help me and my kind to switch over to a more positive outlook for the team.

As an aside, Wobs, occasionally one of your posted videos streams very choppy. I’m not sure why, just wondering if you test run them after uploading them. Every video today looked great except the highlights from yesterdays practice, which is choppy as heck. Mebbe its just me…

7. By sandiamond on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

More potential int’s dropped by the defense! I had hoped childress would run basic pass catching skills for our def staff last year after all the drops. Our bunch needs it

8. By sandiamond on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

90 showing currently on the roster. Number will shrink fast this month

9. By Shawn on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

EVERYONE …. Get to NFL . com ASAP

they are running a who should be in canton poll … shhow your support for Cris Carter !!!!!!!

vote as many times as possible , its long overdue

10. By fran on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

we need a S and OLB (R)

11. By Titus on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

there are so many unknowns– team chemistry and motivation (heart) are two key factors that could make any team a champion-caliber team— we have enough solid, stand up players across many of defensive and offensive positions, and a great coaching staff, not to mention a halfway easy schedule compared to last year— everyone CALM down– You just might be surprised. Superbowl, baby!

12. By Titus on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

there is another unknown– many of the players and some of the coaches on our current team were one play from the Superbowl two seasons ago— that is burning in their heart and they realize how hard a road it is and also understand how to deal with the stress of winning. Yep, you all might be surprised.
    BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. By vikes1961 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

2 years ago all the pieces where in place, to many holes to fill this year, i think a powerfull offense like 97-98 would be enough to make a run for it, moss is availible probably cheap, if they could get him focused the offense would be unstopable

14. By Mike B on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

LT are not just a dime a dozen. It is a demanding position. It’s really to bad McKinnie let himself go. Now we have to find that guy for LT. Left side are pricey postions in the NFL.

15. By Arrow86 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m not ready to run Johnson out of town yet. When Jared Allen takes his ability to the next level, we’ve all seen Pro-bowl tackles with help get burned. He’s simply that good. Anyone who has to stop him five days a week in practice should rapidly improve. I’m not a lineman, but I read on one of the posts that Johnson has been studying the playbook since he got to camp in Mankato. It sounds like he’s trying to do his part to learn the new system. Last year Jared Allen got off to a slow start, maybe this year will be a strong season start to finish for him. Keep the faith!

16. By Mike B on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

good points Arrow. It is difficult to replace a probowl player, and that is a critical position for the team. You are correct about Jared Allen being double teamed most of the time. We must also concern our selves with the Lions new Defensive Line, if they gel we wil not have the benefit of doubling every guy. I was hoping Big Mac would take to heart what he said at the end of the year and come to camp ready to play. Now along with Fred I have concerns with or OLine at RG and LT. Have a great day.

17. By tru-speed on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Mike! look at the tape! loadholt will hold his own!

18. By tru-speed on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

we can roll to his side to help lol

19. By Lito on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Need LT and Center

20. By prplvikes on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

its only one week. Let the coaches do their job. dont panic everyone. they will do their job and improve this team one week at a time. I’m excited with what ive seen so far… and yes two videos were choppy for me. unless they’ve already been fixed.

I would like to hear more about our def backs and safeties. I know you are very busy. But I am especially interested in cook and our safety battle. and our new DT.

Great job so far. Very excited for this season. Go Vikes!

21. By prplvikes on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Also I am so jazzed having Mike Singletary… I have always enjoyed seeing him as a player. He will improve our LB’ers. Ive been very impressed with the staff this year.

22. By James on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Hold up you guys our LT does not suck. Remember most teams had to double team Jared Allen last season. You’re not going to beat him one on one, that’s just asking for a death wish. Jared Allen is THAT GOOD.

23. By Carl K on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Here are some notes I found from other sources about Friday’s practice:

AP’s return was the big news, and he dind’t disappoint. In full contact drills he hit the holes with authority and made some grabs down field. Early in practice he did show some rust as he drop 2 consecutive screen p@sses.

Michael Jenkins outshined the competition with several impressive grabs from different QBs.

Ponder: The corners are beginning to read his eyes and jump the routes. He looks good in play action and on the move outside the pocket. A few too many off target throws. After 2 days of outplaying Webb, he seemed to struggle a bit on Friday.

Webb: Holds on to the ball too long in the pocket. His p@sses were more accurate than the previous days. His arm strengh is clearly and advantage for him.

McNabb: Improved from first practice. More accurate on his throws. Still improving his velocity on his p@sses. Seemed to take fewer reps than the younger QBs did.

J. Allen is wreckin it up big time!!!

24. By njvikingsfan on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

The offensive line does concern us all as it should. With Detroit beefing up their D-line and Peppers in Chicago it’ll be a very tough matchup for anyone across from them. I’m keeping the faith, but you have to be realistic also.

Since I live in Eagle country, I would love to see McNabb have a blowout year and shove it in all these monkey flippin Eagles fans faces. Wearin my purple jersey’s in Philly…GO VIKES!

25. By Bill on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I am a die hard Vikings fan who lives in Utah. For any one who wants to know about our FB Matt Asiata. Just go to Youtube and check out his highlights. The guy is a BEAST!!! He can run, catch and even takes direct snaps and can throw the ball. I hope he makes the team. I have watched him over the past 4 years. He will be good…
    http://youtu.be/tGlSNizkkAU one of the highlights

26. By MVCinSD on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I just bought two tickets to the Vikes vs. Charger game on September 11th, 2011. Almost $600. Looking at the Charger’s stats tells me the Vikes are in for a tough first game (and it being a road game). If we can get McNabb ready, then that’s 1/2 the battle. The other 1/2 of the battle is our defensive secondary. Really don’t want Rivers to ‘light it up’ on our secondary.
    Go Vikes! I miss Brett!

27. By Vikes4life on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Kyle Rudolph has great szie a good movement. Would love to see the 2 TE sets with Shanc like NE did last year with Hernandez/Gronkowsi with Harvin running the posts and AP out in the Flats and we all know how McNabb loves TE’s. This was the missing piece from ’08. Hope BB can rebound with McNabbie. Let Go Skul 40 for 60!!!

28. By pjack on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Hey bro… is it really that hard for the Vikings to figure out how to mic and mix press conferences? seriously… um, bow about someone standing by with a boom for reporters and then a separate mic for the person speaking? Oh, well, that would require at least a two-channel mixer – theoretically

29. By vikings fan 1955 on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I was one that felt Jenkins will be a great fit and so far so good. We should see what the coach has put in place and how it works we all know a new coach brings a different outlook. We have already let go of 2 sb winning coaches this is the first hires right from a present staff.

30. By Daniel on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Vikings need to trade for taylor Mays! don`t let him get away front office! re unite Singlterry with him! Come on Vikes! make this work!

31. By scott r on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I have been saying the same thing about the pressers and the quality of audio and being able to hear the reporters questions for over a year!! Just like listening to your wife on the phone and guessing what’s being said. Lifelong vikings fan and hopeful for this season, but of course I always am!

32. By Ekolu on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Well, looks like we got our man to replace Sidney Rice. Jenkins has been more consistent than Sidney has, except for the 09′ season. We have to remember, sometimes QB’s make the receivers better, and sometimes it’s the other way around. Sidney was always a red-zone monster. But, Jenkins is actually faster than Rice, so we have a viable 1 and 2 receiver. And, there’s is a logjam at the 3 and 4 slots , between Jaymar Johnson, Bernard Berrian, Greg Camarillo, Devin Aromashadu, Emmanuel Arceneaux, Stephen Burton, and Dominique Johnson. don’t see any of the remaining WR’s making the team. Burton and Johnson could be headed for the practice squad they both possess great size and speed.

33. By Ekolu on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen needs to come out smokin’ this year. He needs to be more visible inn the big games this year compared to last. This is a great start to camp, regardless of who he’s going against.

34. By Kerry Beauchaine on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Let’s remember that the new LT is learning a new offense and that he has only been on the field able to practice since the afternoon of August 4. Of course he is going to get manhandled initially by a pro-bowl defensive end like Allen. Save your criticisms until after the pre-season.

35. By bronx tale on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

can anyone say SUPERBOWL

36. By Tyler Hegbloom on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Can anyone tell me who is getting the reps with the first team at fullback and safety???

37. By Adam Svien on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I honestly think that the Vikes will be 8-8 maybe 9-7. But I see a trend with the Vikes. Our Offencive Line needs work. Getting rid of Mckinne was a good move he was good when he wanted to be not to mention string of issues. It would raise the team age but Flozel Adams did pretty well for Pittsburgh so he could be another guy to mentor the younger lineman while filling in a need.
    The Secondery is young and needs help. I would have really liked to see Donte Winter in a Viking uniform but yeah he was signed today so there goes that. Here is a crazy Idea. Antwon Winfield take him and get him some reps at Strong Saftey. He is a a b east when it comes to open field takels and it would free him up to ball hawk a bit too. It would bring in young corners in to get some experience too lord knows these young bucks need it.

38. By Odin's One Good Eye on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Sherels has everything you want at corner except the size. Sorry, but that’s a major concern. Just stop and think about who he’s going up against and you’d wish he was at least another 3 inches tall.

39. By Ekolu on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@Vikingsfan 1955. That’s 3 SB coaches we let go who were coordinators, Tony Dungy DC, Brian Billick OC, and Mike Tomlin DC,

40. By Frederick Jones on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.,

Yes, many of us are concerned about the oline and defensive halfbacks.

All we can do know is to cheer them on, and hope the good things we hear are as good as they say. We hope the bad things are caused by exceptional play.

Perhaps Allen will have a great year. Perhaps C. Johnson is just getting to know the playbook, and his responsibilities.

There could be many reason for what is happening. Maybe our defense will dominate!!!

Keep suggesting defensive halfbacks or Olinemen for Spielman and Frazier ! ! !

41. By vikings fan1955 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Ekolu you are right and now they have finally kept someone thats from inside and can see we have the parts and what was lacking in the last coaches ways. I believe in this coach not because he’s blk but because he showed at the of last yr he’s not conservtive in his play calling and also has the trust and respect of his players. I think he did well with what he has put together this yr and can’t be judged till mid yr. I excited about this team as well as the coaches. I think ppl should remember who is now the defensive coach, Singletary is a motivator and we saw that is san fran and he did well for a while withy the offense but he is a defensive coach so yes we will improve on that side of the ball also.Pll will see our offense is dangerous GO VIKES

42. By Zach Raknerud on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike, if you could email your response to this that would be great. But I would just like you to be honest about this question. How much of Jared Allen’s success is because of the Left Tackle position? I would personally rather hear that the LT is blocking Jared Allen then letting him through, because thats the key to the health of our QB. So what are your thoughts on our LT situation? Cause it looks gloomy to me.

43. By ron gedman on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

just play with heart fan for 50 years i watch with heart love the vikes

44. By Rudso on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

MVCinSD, where did you buy the tickets from for the Chargers vs. Viking game? I’ve been waiting for the single game tickets to go on sale for the Chargers so me and my sister can go show our horns but they haven’t put them on sale yet. $600 sounds a little much for 2 tickets, what seats are they?

45. By brett on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

can anybody tell me where we are gonna get receivers? WE lost the only decent one we hd! Jenkins is just atlanta’s sloppy seconds,Berrian…well just plain sucks and percy hardly ever plays! Who is Mcnabb gonna throw to? Looks like the Vikes will be running…ALOT!

46. By طراحی وب سایت on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Tremendous issues here. I am very satisfied to look your post. Thanks a lot and I’m looking forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?