Timeline Of An NFL QB

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 3, 2011 – 2:18 pm

Critics of the Vikings decision to trade for QB Donovan McNabb questioned whether the 13-year veteran has enough left in the tank to be an effective player.

Well, it sounds like you can count offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave as one who believes McNabb has the juice left to be a productive player, largely because he’ll be able to rely on experiences and lessons learned from past seasons to stay one step ahead of the game.

Musgrave held his first official press conference as Vikings offensive coordinator after the morning practice on Wednesday and at one point he laid out an interesting timeline as it relates to veteran QBs in the NFL.

“Donovan is entering into his mid-thirties and at times, quarterbacks really start to apply the lessons learned right when they approach their mid-thirties,” Musgrave explained. “It happened with Steve Young in the mid to late nineties. It happened with John Elway. We know it happened with Rich Gannon. But you take your lumps early on in your career and then you still have your legs underneath of you, you can still make plays in your late-twenties and early-thirties and then as you get to your mid-thirties you start to apply all of those lessons and play a little bit differently but sometimes the end result is must better than you ever anticipated.”

Remember, Musgrave’s perspective on the topic of veteran QBs is a good one because he was a backup to Joe Montana and Steve Young in San Francisco from 1991-94, where he worked under coaches Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak. And he was also a backup behind John Elway in Denver from 1995-96. So he clearly knows how successful veteran QBs operate.

Tags: ,

23 Responses to “Timeline Of An NFL QB”

1. By Skol_Vikes98 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I guess that’s one way to look at it. I think McNabb can still play, but in a newish system with a new team with no offseason, for a team that a load of injuries last season? There’s a lot Q marks, so I understand why fans are so jittery about this. At some point were going to need a QB (IMHO, Webb) to get some snaps and take some lumps. Then again, we do need a new stadium.

2. By Titus on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Welcome to the Vikings, Donovan!

3. By Daniel on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Good topic Mike. I saw the interview with Coach musgrave and I am very impressed with this guy. You can tell that he is very good at what he does and knows what he wants on Offence. Love his straight up attitude and how his knowledge and faith in what he does comes across. If there was a good pickup this year, I would say he takes the cake. Friaser too, I like how agressive musgrave is though. You can tell he knows what he wants and does what he can to make the offence fit to what we have and Quickly address what need to be in place. That is coaching my friends. Did you see his eyes light up when asked about Jenkins? He must trust the guy. We may have come out better letting Rice go. Love the teams development so far. watching everymoment and have a ton of faith in this years movement. Saftey does have me worried though. I will say that.

4. By go vikes since 67 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I have been real excited about Ponder and Webb learning the QB spot this season, although I hate the term “rebuilding year”, I was OK with maybe not winning as many games while these QBs got valuable game-time experience. However, we’ve gone after a win now scenario with McNabb, and then we’ll be in the same predicament next year or the year after. I’m really disappointed, I’ll watch, but honestly my heart’s not there at the moment.

5. By Elgar on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

If not a new system, the Vikings were going to wait for the previous KAO to sprout wings and soar??? If not a veteran QB, the Vikings were going to invent a brain transfer machine to pump up the experience level of Webb or Ponder overnight??? Yes, without a new stadium fairly soon, the team will be forced to leave town. It’s really succeed now or die. Get behind the team and what it is trying to do or prepare to watch it leave and jthen ust sit around scratching your heads for a long, long time. That’s another way to look at it.

6. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Q. Is there still a possibility for a September special session for a new stadium?

A. “We’re working on that. We still have some work ahead of us to put all the pieces in place but we’re very confident that we will have something worked out in the near future and hopefully that it could be addressed in a special session. But we’re very confident in our location and for the future of the franchise in a new stadium up in Arden Hills. We’re very excited about moving that process forward for our fans and for everybody in the state who utilized the Metrodome in such a good fashion for the last 30 years. This will be a great venue for the next generation.”

7. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

MANKATO — Coach Leslie Frazier said after this afternoon’s practice that running back Adrian Peterson will return to practice on Friday morning. Peterson’s fiance had her baby, a boy, Monday night. Peterson missed one practice Tuesday, two today and will miss tomorrow’s first full-padded practice.

8. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Congrats Adrian on your baby boy.

9. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Frazier also talked about:

Linebacker Kenny Onatolu having a stress fracture in his left foot. Onatolu is in a walking boot and, according to Frazier, is listed as day-to-day.

Linebacker Chad Greenway’s contract negotiations. Greenway, the franchise player, and the team are working on a long-term deal. Frazier said: “It doesn’t seem that it’s affecting him in any way. He’s having a great two days of camp, so things are moving right along.”

10. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Linebacker Chad Greenway became one of the few players to actually answer the question when asked yesterday what a realistic expectation was for this year’s team.

“I think realistically we could be .500 or better, for sure,” Greenway said. “We’re going to hope for 10, 12 wins. I think we have the personnel to do that.”

11. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Johnson, a make-or-break year: I did a lead note on safety Tyrell Johnson and how he’s as disappointed in how his career has unfolded as most of your are. Johnson will be given a chance to start at free safety, where Madieu Williams was released.

12. By DRS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Leslie Frazier said today at his press conference that wide receiver wasn’t a priority for the Vikings right now.

13. By Arrow86 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Without the O.T.A.’s to familiarize a rookie (Ponder) with the system, having a veteran who has seen almost everything in football by now, McNabb should be more effective going into the opener in San Diego.

Speaking of San Diego, several have wanted Malcolm Floyd as a Viking. With the first game of the season against the Vikings. Even though it is not a conference or divisional foe, if you were in the Chargers front office, would you want a recently traded player to come back and beat you on your home field in the opener? I think if the Vikes had an interest, I would think this would work against the purple. Just my thoughts. I’m more than okay with our current core.
    Nick Fairley of Detroit will have to have foot surgery due to an injury at camp.

14. By Arrow86 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Elgar: If half the people who attend the Vikings games on Sundays called their representative once a week, by week 3 the legislature would be thrilled to talk about a new stadium, just to get people off their backs. I don’t even want to think about “Down the line” if the Vikings were to leave town, we will have to build a stadium for typically a poor team that re-locates to Minny. The legislature needs to study what happened in Cleveland. Honestly, would you rather build a new stadium for the new Browns, or for the old Ravens???

Viking fans fill a lot of motel rooms during the night of home games. The Timberwolves fans and Wild fans don’t appear to be filling that void.

15. By Jan Ginn on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Was at Viking Training Camp in Mankato. All the players were very friendly and good to the kids and fans. So impressed with McNabb and the whole team except Chad Greenway-what a self centered individual u r. My Greenway jersey is getting burned-my impression of him has
    changed, he doesn’t need fans.

16. By Rick on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Vikings should think about getting moss , he still has talent and with the loss of Rice. They might want to think about bringing moss in. Childress was an ass to get rid of him so quickly

17. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

why do people still want moss when he is retired? i think he would be a burden

18. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Im very sad sidney rice went to the seahawks, one of my favorite, if not my most favorite player on the vikings. Now, his jersey is sort of a dust collector.

19. By Arrow86 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Jan Ginn: Please don’t judge Greenway on a brief encounter. Greenway grew up in South Dakota. My parents live there now. There have been very generous actions by Greenway towards kids, and the community. I try to be a nice person myself, but sometimes I maybe don’t project the best image of myself to others in brief encounters.

20. By Arrow86 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

About Moss: I still believe he will play this season, and play much better than his 2010 season. But I think it has to be on the right team. I think Moss needs a coach who will be a “My way or the highway” kind of guy yet appreciate Moss for the personality and competitor he is. Rex Ryan would be a good fit, but the Jets are 10 deep at receiver already. Andy Reid could bring out the best in him, and the Eagles should have a strong season. Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh could be a good fit. It’s too bad the Vikes brought him in during a firestorm last season, and expected him to extinguish the problems.

21. By DuaneN on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Moss is just trying to save face. He doesn’t really want to play imo. If he did he would’ve taken that one year deal the Pats offered.

22. By Ekolu on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Doug Williams 32, Jim Plunkett 34/36, Brad Johnson 35, Phil Simms 33. All these guys were in their early to mid 30’s when they led their teams to Super Bowl wins. Once again, there is no exact formula. Looking at his 1st practice he looks mobile and he still has a cannon arm.

23. By monty on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

It would be crazy. but what you should do is get Moss and Owens in here. Both with that serious drive to win, coupled with McNabb could be somewhat of a dream team. Although I have a great deal of respect for McNabb, I feel by overlooking the poise of the young Joe Webb will a mistake on your part. I’ve been watching the game most of my life, and can say to many times the true talent of players is often overlooked. And by the time its recognized the season is over. so I know McNabb was brought in here to show his leadership and experience. But what has he truely done? So i hope come preseason, we will see Webb get some time with the first team, so he can show his talent. And I’m sure that Ponder has plenty of talent as well, just haven’t seen him work a field. So I look forward the preseason.