Intensity Picking Up At Training Camp; Notes From Practice #3

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 3, 2011 – 11:14 am

An offseason void of minicamps and OTAs and then rules in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that prohibits players with new contracts from practicing and also prohibits contact during the first few days of camp created an unusual environment at NFL training camps.

But things are starting to feel a bit more normal now after the Vikings strapped on shoulder pads and helmets for Practice #3.

The intensity rose a notch on Wednesday morning at 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp, as the team worked for roughtly two hours and 15 minutes on the outdoor practice fields under sunny skies and balmy temperatures. Vikings fans took advantage of the day, too, by packing both sets of bleachers and lining the fences surrounding the three practice fields.

Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and special teams coordinator Mike Priefer both held press conferences following practice and we’ll have those in on-demand format for you to view, so stay tuned for that. Until then, here are a few notes from practice…

– My favorite drill to watch is the 9-on-7 drill, in which nine offensive players go against seven defensive players (four down linemen and three linebackers) in a drill that features only running plays. The drill is a full-contact drill that focuses on blocking for the offense and filling gaps on defense. LBs Chad Greenway and E.J. Henderson looked the best in the drill.

– Another LB – Heath Farwell – got his hands on an INT. QB Joe Webb tried to force a pass into coverage and Farwell was there to take advantage of the miscue. Farwell was playing outside LB with the first team during some portions of practice.

– Catch of the day goes to WR Stephen Burton, who was drafted by the Vikings this past April in the 7th round. He went full extension and dove for a pass along the right sideline during a team drill. He was able to get his hands on the ball, secure it, go to the ground and maintain possession through the play.

– Passing the eye test today: Chad Greenway, Cedric Griffin and Percy Harvin

– I’ll have more notes from the Musgrave and Priefer press conferences later. Stay tuned…

Tags: , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Intensity Picking Up At Training Camp; Notes From Practice #3”

1. By Frederick Jones on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Mike Wobschall for the report from Mankato.

Do any of the new offensive linemen impress you at all? Have there been any fights yet?

2. By Swedish Viking on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Mike.
    What do you know about the rumors of WR Malcom Floyd?
    Are the Vikings trying to pick him up??

3. By kofeebrat on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Swedish – as interesting a pickup as Floyd would be, the rumors that I have been seeing on the web say that his asking price might be too high based on past production.

Myself, I would like to see the cap space from McKinnie’s release spent on the OL – or possibly saftey depending on how Mistral Raymond (among others) has done in practice.

4. By Vikings da big papa on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I heard a rumor the Vikes are going for Brian Waters of da chiefs!

5. By Touchdown on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Where’d you here that? That would be awesome!

6. By Arrow86 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I admit I’m super laim. What position does Brian Waters play?

7. By Arrow86 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

A quick shout out to Mike! For those of us not able to see the team practice you did an excellent job of explaining the drills your seeing at practice and the purpose behind the drill. Thanks.

8. By Carl K on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Mike

9. By wisvikesfan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Webb seems to be throwing a lot of int’s… How has ponder looked in first three practices? Especially the first day of pads. I think the vikes should move webb to 3rd string and cut bomar because webb can be used as wr/pr/kr and emergency qb. This way we can have an extra wr and utilize his talent because you dont draft a qb in the first round to not start him eventually. Im actually not worried about our wr core because harvin is a threat plus berrian and webb can be deep threat and Jenkins Danny and the cfl guy can be possession receivers skol vikies! Vikes fans what do you think?

10. By Parody on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow86 – No need to shoot yourself down for not knowing who he is. When I read Brian Waters, I had to look him up because I had no clue either. Turns out that he’s an offensive guard, who played 11-years with the Chiefs, went to 5-Pro Bowls and was an All Pro twice.

It sounds like he’d be a good addition, but I’m curious as to why the Chiefs decided to cut him. He’s got a lot of good history to him, but so did Madieu WIlliams and Bryant McKinnie. The news I found said it was a mutual decision between Waters and the team to end his contract, but that seems to be the same story with Big Mac’s cut, and we know that story isn’t exactly accurate.

11. By Carl K on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

The highest paid 51 players on each team must be under the cap by the start of the 2011 league year according to Mike Florio of PFT.

He reports from a source with knowledge that the Vikings are still over the cap by 5.6 million.

12. By Parody on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

@wisvikesfan – I agree with you mostly, but I think you are placing Webb to high on the receiver totem pole. Realistically, Jenkins appears to be in contention for the best deep threat on the roster. He’s both taller and faster than Berrian, but time will tell which of the two wins the spot.

With Webb and Harvin both on the team though, I’d expect to see a lot of plays utilize motion before the snap to gauge the defense, and set up for reverses and trick plays that keep the defense off balance.

Arceneaux is coming from the CFL which allows all the receivers to be in motion at once before the snap, so he could also be used in this role as well.

13. By Parody on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks on that info Carl. How much money can we expect to recover if we restructure Peterson’s and Greenway’s contracts? Those are two big moves that I expect to occur pretty soon.

14. By wisvikesfan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

@Parody- I have Webb in a Harvin like mold only he is more capableof the deep ball due to his 6’4 frame i belive our offense will be a fast paced short throws to percy and such get the ball out fast and let the wr’s make thier moves. Alsowith the two te set we actually will have a prolific offense with ap toby and booker we could be unstoppablei have seen the talent for years we just have not has a coach whowill make an offense suit the players unlike childress

15. By wisvikesfan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

im not saying webb is a starter but he will get 10 to 15 plays a game if he becomes a valid threat

16. By sandiamond on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

why all the hype about M. Floyd? and great stats, Moss will be back mid-season. ouch for the line- Mckinnie dropped

17. By SmittySmith on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I think once you see Charlie johnson play you’ll forget all about Mount McKinny. He’s a very good athletic linemen. There’s a reason he was backing Peyton Manning through his best years when he was MVP. McKinny was just getting fat and losing motivation to other priorities. I like hearing Cedric is doing better,we’ll need him. You think we could use some of the money to look at anothe OLB!?

18. By animal26 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Hope you’re right SmittySmith. I’ve heard many Colts fans say bad things about Johnson.

19. By Carl K on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

McKinnie who? I forgot all about him already.
    From the cap reports I keep seeing, I am beginning to believe the Viking don’t have any more money to spend.
    @smitty- I think the Vikings will use both Brinkley and Erin Henderson at OLB. I see a rotation of Brinkley on early downs and Henderson on later downs. I feel confident in our OLB position.

I am also feeling good about our WRs. Jaymar Johnson will have a break-out year. Mark my words.

Saftey – All I can do is hope Abdullah plays even better this year. Tyrell Johnson is young and has the physical tools to be very good. Johnson has over 20 career starts, so I can only hope this is the year he puts it all together.

I am excited to hear Cedric Griffin is doing well. I am feeling better about our CB position.

20. By Touchdown on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Honestly I’m feeling good about our team right now. Yesterday I thought we needed alot of things. (Oline, Safety, Corner Wr) but if the players come together play hard and well I can see us pull off some upsetts and sneaking our way into the playoffs. It all depends on Mcnabb or Ponder. If Ponder’s ready we’ll be a dangerous team if not Mcnabb will manage games for us.

21. By Carl K on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

animal26- C.Johnsom started 15 Games at LT in 2010 for the Colts. He started 12 at LT in 09. In 08 Johnson started 12 games at LG and 4 at tackle.
    Payton Manning never said anything bad about him.
    I live in Indiana and I listen to local sports radio and even though the Colts draft Anthony Castanzo in the 1st round everyone thought Johnson was going to get resigned and start at LT to begin the year.

Yes. Johnson is underrated and Johnson doesn’t have the physical skills that you look for in a probowl type LT. But as a 6th round pick, he worked his way into a “starter” in his 3rd year. HIS ATTITUDE AND WORK ETHICS ALONE WILL UPGRADE OUR OLINE. He knows what it takes to win.
    If McKinnie had Johnson’s desire and heart… it would be a whole different story.

I think the Vikings have done very good job with a very limited budget.

22. By Arrow86 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Parody and Carl: Thanks for the information. Oh, that Brian Waters! SURE! I really knew nothing about him, but based on the information Parody uncovered, you can’t help but respect the career he has had to this point.

Carl: What’s the rule on the cap? If the Vikes were to cut Berrian loose, would his salary this year still count against the cap if another team picked him up?

I said it before, but I’m curious about what Singletary has in store for the linebackers. Mike’s first few practice posts sound encouraging about our linebacker play. I know coaches study film relentlessly, but without the O.T.A.’s this year, I hope our new coaches will have had adequate time to evaluate the talent.

23. By big mikey on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Please vikings please dont sign Pat Williams he is washed up the man can barely breath out there, i would hope they try and sign edwards, and the biggest move i would take is trade jared allen you wanna talk about over rated i dont know who has been watching but look at every year he has been here and the only games he was good was when teams starting lineman were hurt most of his sacks have come against back up lineman Green Bay is the perfect example, monster games against the back up nothing against there starters, whenever he plays a tackle who is good he gets shut down look up the games where he might of had 2 or 3 sacks they were against the back up tackles clearing him would save alot of space just something to think about

24. By Arrow86 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

@Big Mikey: I don’t look for the shadow of Pat Williams to cover the hallowed Metrodome turf. He was a very great player. I felt last year he was outplayed by Guion.

@ All Vikes fans. I hope the Vikings lay a lopsided physical beat-down on the Saints when they come to the dome. It won’t make up for missing out on a Super Bowl, but the late hits the Saints got away with in the 2009 championship game was outrageous! Our fumbles and picks were enough to take on that terrible day….

25. By hicohornet on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want to hear about 2009 or any other year. So stop it already, it’s old. Jared Allen is a beast. He gets paid because of what he does. He get’s double teamed and they slide protection to his side. They game plan for Allen. Trading him would set us back on defense. If anything I’ll trade a 3rd round pick for Vincent Jackson or DeSean Jackson. Or even give up a 2nd round pick or future first for Sidney back. He’s 24 and he has the size, the speed, the strength, the talent to produce outstanding numbers.

26. By Carl K on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Arrow86- Berrian’s contract was restructured to give the Vikings maximun cap room… I think he has some guaranteed money. I am not sure how all that contract stuff works, but I think Madieu Williams, for example, had a 5.6 million salary for 2011, just because we cut him… that did not created 5.6 million in cap space.

Restructuring Berrian’s and Madieu’s contract was the right direction for the Vikings to take. Madieu didn’t want to restructure his contract with the Vikings, so the Vikings were forced to cut him.

I think his agent gave him some bad advice. Williams was signed to 1 year deal for aprox 850K for a backup role with the 49ers. I think he would have been better off to do what Berrian did and stick it out with the Vikings.

So to answer your question, cutting Berrian I don’t believe would give the Vikings any more cap space.