Talking Points: Coach Frazier Press Conference

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 1, 2011 – 5:05 pm

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier held a press conference after Monday’s opening practice and he obviously was asked about a lot of relevant topics. We’ll post the press conference in on-demand format soon, so you’ll be able to listen and watch it in its entirety.

Until then, here are a few comments I thought were of particular significance:

– The Vikings signed free agent OT Charlie Johnson on Monday. He was actually in Mankato for practice but was unable to suit up because of a new CBA rule that requires players with new contracts to sit out of practice until the new League starts (August 4). But it was good to see Johnson in camp because he is permitted to sit in meetings and bond with his teammates in the dorm. Frazier said the plan for Johnson is to get him in the offensive line rotation and see what he can do. Johnson was most recently in Indianapolis, where he protected Peyton Manning’s blindside. But he has some versatility and is a candidate to slide down the line and perhaps play some guard as well.

– Staying with the offensive line, Frazier said that starting RG Anthony Herrera will open camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. Herrera is coming back from an ACL injury and also a triceps injury, so this development is not unexpected. Frazier said the goal is not to rush Herrera back into action; rather, the goal is to get him ready to play once the season arrives.

– Former Vikings WR Randy Moss is going to retire, according to his agent, Joel Segal. Frazier was very complimentary about Moss when asked to comment about the WR, saying he was a tremendous player and a (future) Hall of Famer. Frazier said he had a good relationship with Moss when they were together in Minnesota last year and he also commented that Moss commanded two and sometimes even three players in coverage during his prime. Before some of you get too excited, I still don’t see Moss as a good fit here, even with Frazier saying so many nice things about him.

– We’ve talked about CB Cedric Griffin quite a bit on vikings.com lately, and Frazier was asked about him on Monday as well. Frazier described Griffin as a “key component” to the Vikings defense and to the team. The Vikings plan is to take it slow with Griffin, largely because they weren’t able to be with him during the offseason to fully monitor his progress. As is the case with Herrera, the goal with Griffin is to make sure he’s ready to play once the regular season rolls around.

Tags: , , ,

27 Responses to “Talking Points: Coach Frazier Press Conference”

1. By animal26 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Why was Bryant McKinney not practicing today?

2. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

He was placed on the Non-Football Injury list and Leslie Frazier said some things need to be straightened out before he can play. Frazier didn’t sound too concerned.

3. By Parody on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall – If there is a problem with Moss beyond you own feelings towards his personality, you have yet educate us about them. Therefor, that comment you just made about him sent a similar message as “I don’t care if the entire team likes Moss, he will never fit in as a Viking.”

4. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

My opinion that Moss would not be a good fit with the Vikings doesn’t have anything to do with his treatment of me. He never said a bad word to me or disrespected me directly. But I saw him disrespect people right in front of me and I saw him intentionally try to undermine authority in the middle of the season. I saw him give up on pass after pass after pass last season also. Then, there was this incident: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/restaurant-owner-randy-moss-disparaged-him-food-inside-vikings-locker-room/1

That kind of behavior does not fit in well with this team, with this head coach and with this ownership group, in my opinion.

5. By Parody on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall – Follow Up Question: Does that mean that you don’t believe a person can evaluate himself, find the flaws and turn his attitude and work ethic around?

6. By paul on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss hall of famer, give me a break.. This guy played 4-years in Minnesota and 1-year for the Pats and took the other 8-years off.

7. By Shawn on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall … How can you speak to what his intentions were? I wasnt there and I do understand Moss is an a** , but if his reaction to an imbecile’s stupidity happened to be underminding …. I dont think that can be held against him. We’ve all worked for people that got their job in ” mysterious ” ways

Im only guessing but Moss was right about Chilly and THANKS TO MOSS WE ARE GOING TO BE A BETTER TEAM UNDER FRAZIER

Childress was a non programmic fit and the team became better in both the short term and the long term without him

Its just too bad Moss had to sacrifice himself for the betterment of the team

Randy Moss a Viking for life ….

8. By Shawn on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@paul … your either ignorant to the truth or blatantly lying and either way your wrong

TDs … 153 … 2nd all time

RecYrds … 14,858 … 5th all time

catches … 954 …. 9th all time

It takes mor than 4 seasons as you suggest to do that

9. By Shawn on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Randy Moss for starting the fire under Chilly and helping all of us Viking fans enjoy a good coach in Leslie Frazier

10. By Shawn on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

11. By Daniel on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I am hearing word that edwards is still in the Vikings sights and Berrian might be on the way out. If so, That is what I call a great offseason. But here is the thing. Even if this does happen, We still have a weak saftey class. We have not had a good set of safteys for a while. I do see Abdulla growing and I really like the saftey we picked up through the draft. But I am worried about tyrell Johnson. We need a guy that puts fear into WRs. Bernard Pollard has that kind off play. 111 tackles last year for Hou. Pick this guy up Vikes! A fixture for years.

12. By Parody on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

By the looks of it, Berrian is not going anywhere. Reports are that he just restructured his contract to a 2-year deal, giving him a lower pay (at least for this year) helping the team get under the salary cap.

This is why he wasn’t at practice today, because apparantly the rule is that any player (other than rookies) who sign a new deal with a team have to wait until Thursday to practice with their team. This includes players acquired through free agency, through trade, resigning players whose contracts expired, and restructuring players’ contracts.

What I’d like to know is the reasoning for this rule. Does anybody know the logic that went into it?

13. By Arrow86 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Paul: Moss is only 2nd to Jerry Rice in many categories. Jerry Rice is the best ever. I still believe Moss’s frustration, attitude, or ablility to go hard every play is the only thing that has kept him from passing Rice up. I don’t think he’ll be a Viking, but I do think he’ll be back come September. Oh, by the way the Viking shop on this website is advertising Moss’s replica home jersey was $85 now just $9.99. There is one catch, you have to pay STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE!!!!HA!

14. By Mike B on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn Mike W has said his piece and why. Randy Moss isn’t a good fit for the Vikings as they are now. I can imagine that Coach Frazier respects his talent, but not interested in him on his team. The things Moss did last season was uncalled for. Childress was still the coach of the football team and you can’t chew out your boss publically and get away with it. I don’t care how good you are, you act like Moss does and no one wants you. I can imagine every contract he looked at this year had a conduct clauses in it. So you can’t just say what you want to say no matter how well you play the game. It’s time to end this stuff. He’s made is decision and he’s retiring. Just wish him well. I loved watching him, but hated the stupid things he did. That’s my opinion. Take care.

15. By Mike B on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Guys like Jerry Rice and Chris Carter are top notch players don’t mix Moss in with them please. He only has the numbers and ability, but not their class.

16. By vikesfansteve on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Would the Vikings consider trading for a #1 receiver? Will they sign Floyd?

Why did they sign a LT when that is McKinney’s spot?

17. By vikesfansteve on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree Moss quit on a certain TD vs the PATS. Dropped a TD against the Cowboys. Short armed a potential TD vs GB. I think they are not willing to sign him because they are just not sure if he will try or not. He isn’t reliable to go after the ball in other words & that is his job. Too bad because he could really help this team to reach a SB.

18. By tru-speed on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss is what he is! and Now… was what he was………………….stilll a Great Receiver…… when he wanted to!

19. By vikings4life on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

moss will be a HOF no doubt in the end Numbers play a huge part in getting in and he is second in many categories, Mike W. it is just sad how you can tell, everyone could tell that the blog would blow up with moss/vikings/your recent posts about him and peoples comments

20. By Frederick Jones on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall,

It’s nice to see you interacting with the bloggers. If you continue it should make the season more fun. You will have to put up with some grief like the rest of us do from time to time!

Great news about Charlie Johnson. I am off the hook, if he can perform the way he has in the past for Indianapolis. Now that I’ve said that, I’m going to have to do some research on him.

Perhaps the Vikings will rotate their offensive linemen like the 49ers did in the days of Montana, and Young.

You may not have the ability to hold back the rush for the entire game, but you can do it for a few plays here, and there.

Adding Don McNabb brings us to 9-7, adding Charlie Johnson could get us to 10-6. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the world champions were 10-6 last season.

21. By vikings4life on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

your writing of what frazier said has been clearly carefully crafted, i usually see excitement and a lot of reading into comments just for the fun to put ideas out there for people to think about and write about i mean i believe that is what this blog site is for. but in his actual quotes “One of the things I appreciated about him, I don’t know if you know this, he’s a guy who’s a tremendous historian when it comes to football. He’d be talking to me about my days playing and telling me things that I had forgotten, but he knew. We had a good relationship, and I’m just proud that I got a chance to get to know him.”

22. By Frederick Jones on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

A guy from something call “Roto Sports World” commended the Vikings for getting Charlie Johnson who played almost every line position with the Colts.
    He is only 27.

The same Roto Sports World guy (no name listed in the article) said the Vikings still had one of the NFL’s worst run blocking lines. (Experts can be wrong sometimes)

I see this as a positive turn of events for the Vikings. Is it enough? Time will tell.

The Vikings will be somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6.

LET THE RECORD SHOW THAT I, Frederick Jones, AM OFF THE HOOK ! ! !

:) :) :) :) :)

23. By Parody on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Wow Fred, you sleep like a log! People have been trying to wake you all day!!!
    :) . . . . :D :D :D :D :D :)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :P . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ;)

24. By DuaneN on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Moss this, Moss dat.

He said we will never win and I am glad he didn’t. Was a great player but I will take Cris Carter anytime over him.

25. By DuaneN on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I am really curious what Moss is going to do when he goes into HOF.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he tries to retire a Patriot. That would be very annoying.

26. By Remember Met Stadium on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Moss could have been a very special talent, but he wasted that gift starting with the “I will play when I want to” speech he made way back when. Ever since then, he has been a cancer in the locker room, and not just ours.

Moss without the attitude would be a first ballot selection to the HoF, its true. But Moss with attitude may not even make it in. Remember, Paul Krause who still holds the NFL interception record by a large margin was voted in on the last possible attempt. Why? Because people didnt like his attitude.

Something to think about ;)

27. By Listy do M rapidshare on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I simply desired to thank you very much once more. I do not know what I could possibly have handled in the absence of the actual tricks provided by you over such area. This was the fearsome difficulty for me, however , taking a look at the skilled manner you resolved that forced me to weep with fulfillment. Extremely grateful for the work and in addition hope you realize what an amazing job you were accomplishing teaching other individuals using your website. I know that you haven’t encountered any of us.