2011 Will Be Berrian’s Big Bounce Back Season

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 1, 2011 – 7:09 am

A great part about the vikings.com Blog is that readers have the opportunity to share their thoughts via the comments section. I began this blog entry with that thought in mind because I’m guessing the title of this entry already has many of you foaming at the mouth and ready to rip me to shreds.

Well, you have full license to criticize the opinion that WR Bernard Berrian will have a bounce back season in 2011, but hear me out first. Check out the full article I posted this morning about Berrian. It contains the opinion and supporting argument that the Vikings should keep Berrian on the roster and that we should expect a big bounce back season in 2011.

Most of you will immediately write off this thought because you’ve already given up on Berrian and you want the team to dump him to save salary. But I think keeping him on the roster is the better move. Berrian will enter the 2011 season fully healthy, which he hasn’t been in nearly two years, and he’ll enter the season as the Vikings best down-field threat. This is important because although I expect the Vikings to be mostly a ground-and-pound, dink and dunk offense, especially early in the season, NFL offenses still need to be able to explode. After Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson, Berrian will be the Vikings most explosive weapon and he’ll be their best chance at blowing the top off of defenses.

Also working in Berrian’s favor this year will be opportunities. Chemistry issues with Berrian and QB Brett Favre contributed to Berrian’s lack of production the past two seasons. With Donovan McNabb in the fold, Berrian will be re-energized. And with Sidney Rice gone to Seattle, Berrian will see more snaps per game.

I don’t expect Berrian will have 12 TDs and I won’t suggest that you draft him onto your fantasy football team. But I will suggest that you leave the door open – even if only a crack – for a big bounce back season from #87. A season closer to his 2008 numbers than in 2009 and 2010.

Tags: ,

51 Responses to “2011 Will Be Berrian’s Big Bounce Back Season”

1. By MGR4FUN on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

well mike i am guilty of havin bad mouthed #87 in the past so i know you will be surprised to hear that i happen to agree with you in that B_Twice deserves the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to earn his big money … to be honest that 99 yd td catch vs the bears is one of my favorite viking moments … he is fast and his speed will require defenses to stay honest … OR ELSE … #87 is a very good compliment to the rest of the receiving core i am also lookin forward to jaymar johnson and his contribution

2. By Ham on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

As far as the chemistry issue goes, maybe having a QB that attends training camp will help…

3. By Jeffbleedspurple on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

This is my opinion on Berrian, if Favre can’t make him have a break out season, who can? no one in my books, get rid of him, collect his monies and get another WR.

4. By Carl K on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Berrian is most dangerous in a down field vertical p@ssing game. I think Musgrave will bring a 2 TE set with a smash mouth run game that will open up some play action vertical shots down field. I think that style fits McNabb and Berrian’s style of play. If those 2 can find a chemistry in preseason, than yes I think it could be bounce back year for Berrian.

5. By rye on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

With what the Vikings are paying Berrian, they could probably get Floyd.

Makes absolutely no sense to risk the season on Berrian.

I hope I’m wrong.

6. By Rocksalt on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope Berrian will have the breakout season, if not ,then I think he has had enough chances with the Vikes………

7. By Carl K on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

If teams are going to line 8-9 guys in the box, lets go deep! Berrian can be one of the best at going long. Giving McNabb and Berrian time is the key… and I think Musgrave has the answer to that.

8. By vikings fan 1955 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Most QB’s have a favorate target just like favre had rice and also yes favre not being in camp from the start did make a difference with him and berrian. No Berrian hasn’t been constant but he has shown he can stretch the field and has break away speed. I have also been one of his supporters and feel Mc Nabb may be able to get him out of the slump. I have said before Frasier knows what he’s doing and we all neeb to get behind him and cheer the team on. The way I see it is pll always want a fresh start when they have troubles and so does every nfl team after a bad yr. It’s easier to stand behing the vikes from the start and then as the season goes talk about what went right or wrong.I actually think as preseason gets going and we get reports from traing camp more ppl will see the choices made by frasier and the fron office were the right ones. I’m saving this to toot my own horn mid yr and I’m also saying jenkins will be a big piece of the puzzel that turns things around and Mc Nabb will quickly become a fan favorate. GO VIKES

9. By Ham on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@rye How is Floyd any more of a proven deep threat than Berrian? They’re about the same age, they’ve been in the league for pretty much the same ammount of time, yet Berrian has nearly 2x the yards/TDs/catches. Floyds best seasons haven’t eclipsed 800 yards, Berrians have sat around 1000. Berrian has had 7 100 yard games while Floyd has only had 3.

Don’t get me wrong, Floyd is the better player right now based off a last year. But Berrian at his best > Floyd at his best. And with the lockout continuity leads to better success.

Braylon Edwards, however, is another story.

10. By rye on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Jenkins was a good addition. Just think the vikings should still make a run at Floyd or Edwards. They are better than Berrian and would improve the team.

Berrian is WAY overpaid. The vikings should trade him for any draft pick they can get and then sign Floyd or Edwards.

11. By DRS on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Vikings | Sign five

Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:15:31 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings have signed free-agent RB Tristan Davis (Dolphins), TE John Gilmore (Buccaneers), OG Scott Kooistra (Ravens), DL Cedric McKinley (Vikings) and LB Mark Washington (Cardinals) to undisclosed contracts.

12. By rye on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Ham

Floyd has outperformed Berrian over the last two years.

Also, Floyd is built to be a #1 receiver at 6-5.

Berrian is 6-1.

Floyd has played solid over the last couple years with over 700 yards (as a #2). He was playing behind Vincent Jackson.

Berrian does not even compare with the potential floyd has.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but Berrian’s play has not warranted my faith.

13. By DRS on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Vikings | Kyle Rudolph signed

Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:16:34 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings have signed rookie TE Kyle Rudolph. The deal is expected to be a four-year deal.

14. By DRS on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Vikings | Bernard Berrian will have great year according to head coach

Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:47:05 -0700

Minnesota Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier said bolstering the team’s group of receivers is not the team’s current focus. He also noted that WR Bernard Berrian will have a “great year” for the Vikings and help stretch the field. Berrian’s name has been tossed around often as a possible cap casualty, as he has a $3.9 million salary and a salary-cap hit of more than $6 million this year. There is no telling if Berrian would stick with the Vikings should they sign a free-agent receiver.

15. By Carl K on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobs – Rumor has it that Herrera will start out on the PUP list and DeGeare will be his replacement at RG. Can you give us an update on Herrera? How long will he be on the PUP list?

16. By DRS on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Former Syracuse Orange and now Minnesota Vikings quarterback Donovan McNabb is excited about his new opportunity in the twin cities.

McNabb told media gathered at Vikings training camp he has “moved past that whole ‘something to prove’ deal,” according to a transcript obtained by Pro Football Talk.

17. By DRS on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

LOS ANGELES (LALATE) – A Braylon Edwards Vikings or Rams fit is being pursued. Braylon Edwards won’t be returning to the Jets, local news reported Saturday. Now Edwards’ possible future could be with the Vikings and Rams, some news reports claim; others assert that the Bears, Titans and Redskins seem possible.

18. By Mike Wobschall on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Not sure on Herrera. We’ll find out more today. If he does go on the PUP list, DeGeare will get the nod in his place. If a player is placed on the PUP list before camp, my understanding is he can come off the PUP list at any point. So I think if Herrera starts camp on the PUP, he won’t be on it for long.

19. By jc on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope the vikes cut berrian so he can go to a team that will know how to use him

20. By CA Norwegian on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

BB faster than a speeding BeeBee.
    I find the “bounce” part funny, we’re supposed to catch it, guys.
    Was this a ‘Freudian slip’, OOPS anoher dropped ball metaphor.

21. By Fan 123 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Praying that #87 will have a great year or the coaches will have something to explain to the fan. That’s how it has always been around the league. It’s the coaches decision and we all should respect that. Good Luck.

22. By Blasphemerr on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

He will always be Bernard McBrickHands to me.

His speed is great and normally takes out a safety plus a corner; so I don’t really care if people throw him the ball or not because the odds are he’ll drop it. I probably would have cut him, but maybe not. He is my most used receiver on madden and I wouldn’t want to losw him.

@Blasphemerr

23. By Woodboat on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Berrian isn’t nearly as bad a receiver as Troy Williamson is/was. But as he drops more and more p@sses, the defenses respect his speed less and less. At the end of Williamsons tenure with the Vikes, they’d play a CB on him and let him run without a care in the world that he’d actually catch a ball. Berrian is on the tettering edge of being that same guy to me. If he can improve on his catching ability, he may go the way Wobs is suggesting I’ve never seen a guy all of the sudden learn how to catch a ball consistantly, but hey, maybe this is the guy. If not, expect him to draw a CB only and for AP to be faced with extra guys with the wrong jerseys in our backfield every time he gets handed the ball.

24. By Greg on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

“Chemistry issues”? Really? It wouldn’t be decent to comment any further.

25. By skolpurpleandgold on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

yeah i saw no chemisty issues either just a guy who cant catch a ball when favre hits him in the numbers

26. By Joe C on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Herrera was an underrated part of that o-line last year I hope he gets healthy quick. He works hard every play.
    The bears had a tough time protecting Cutler early last year but Martz fixed the protection scheme and it helped. The Vikings need to learn from the Bears, Donovan can have a great year if the big guys at tackle protect him. I also think Bevelle was to predictable last year i’m sure we won’t have that issue. The North has become the toughest division in the NFL. The Vikings will have the hardest schedule with the most to prove. With the right chemistry and some luck (health wise) we have a chance – GO VIKINGS

27. By Kyler on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Exactly

28. By DB Bruns on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Like the rest of the team this year I think there is alot of ???? surrounding some of the players. Like McNabb Berrian is another one of the. I’m sitting on the fence with this one like with McNabb. Wait and see I guess.

29. By xvike on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Sorry to say, but i don’t see Berrian breaking out. He is not a number one receiver. At best a number two. Berrian will not draw double coverage from opposing teams. They probably won’t even put their best corner on him and if they do, he’s not going to get any looks. What i hate about berrian is that he is too soft and he complains when he doesn’t get a pass interference called when a DB touches him. Not only that, he gives up on plays unlike Rice. I remember plenty of games when the ball was thrown to him and was going to be intercepted and instead of trying to prevent the int, he just watched the ball get intercepted. And like i said earlier, if the DB touches him, instead of still trying to get the ball, he just quits and starts complaining. And then throw in the fact that he has butter fingers, i just don’t see how he will have a big bounce back year. If by bounce back you mean he’ll have 500-600 yards and 5-6 t’ds then sure that’s believable. Other than that, a big season from berrian? not happening. There’s just too many things that i dislike about him that makes me believe he won’t have a big season.

30. By Don on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

hoping for better..BUT us fans no better he needs to be cut..

31. By ryan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

berrian is legit. without him against the saints, it would not have been close. he disliked chilly and that was know it affected his efforts. he will be just fine with a new offensive scheme and QB.

32. By joshK on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

i have a berrian jersey, i used to love him. if he would take less money id gladly keep him on the team. with all these holes to fill we cant afford to be inefficient by spending money on players who don’t perform. at this point a trade would be best IMO

33. By Jim on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

The biggest problem with Berrian is that he does not possess the ‘fearless factor’. Any real professional football player who whines about the coach, the QB, the interference or whatever gives off too many clues as to his heart. There should be no place on Frazier’s team for whining. Moss, Rice had the physical skills to avoid a lot of punishing hits. Bernard is not anywhere near their skill levels to be paid the amount of money he gets. If you don’t have those skills, you had better be willing to go over the middle and take those hits if you want to justify your place on a real football team. I say asta la vista for a draft pick. The hope of accomplishment does not justify the past mediocre performance. Apparently Spielman doesn’t believe the draft picks we have on the roster will be as good as Berrian??????

34. By frosty17 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Bernard drops too many. Trade him for anything you can get. Mcnabb are you kidding. Inacurate. Has been over rated has been for five years. Mclooser VIKES 0-16. first pick in the draft next year

35. By vikings fan 1955 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

frosty thats the dumbest thing I ever read on here and go root for another team ur not a viking fan spitting that stupidity.tell u what lets say we go a hunred a game and see who ends up with cash from the other. If u believe that they will lose every gage I will bet 1000 to 10,000 they are over 50% in wins and I know it will be 12 and 4 at the worst

36. By sprtsfannd on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Rye wrote: Why would the Vikings risk it? Why not get rid of Berrian and sign Floyd? Floyd is a proven deep threat.

With what the Vikings are paying Berrian, they could probably get Floyd.

Makes absolutely no sense to risk the season on Berrian.

I hope I’m wrong.

sprtsfannd comments: I couldn’t agree more with Rye. Floyd is a deep threat and is a Big (tall) receiver! He could not only help in the deep game, but also in the red zone with his size! Dump Berrian and get Floyd!

37. By purplefizz on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I think BB is in a position where too much is expected of him. I will say that there is no doubt that the Vikings are paying the guy too much for the type of production he has produced. I wanted malcom floyd and the vikes could have probably got him for relatively cheap compared the type of money BB is making. i think WRs are set. i dont see the vikings making anymore moves to bolster that area. there are other holes to fill on this team. and no, i dont see BB good numbers. i expect a big year though from percy though.

38. By Marv-D on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Somebody please tell Leslie Frazier to go convince Randy Moss to come out of retirement and play for the Vikings again!!!!

39. By vikings fan 1955 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

even though it didn’t end up good when some players went to go see favre but some of the players can get on a plze and go see moss I’ll bet that tells him how wanted and needed he is in minn

40. By Max on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Guys who love Randy moss, HE SUCKS NOW, GET THAT THROUGH YOUR BRAINS

41. By Frederick Jones on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

39 posts and the Offensive Line was barely mentioned.

“The Blog is about Berrian, Jonesy.”

I don’t care how fast, strong, tall, etc. a receiver is, he cannot catch a pass
    from a quarterback who has had his shoulder seperated.

Someone should be traded for a starting offensive lineman from another team.

We are going to be a running team????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

42. By Larson on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Get Randy Moss out of retirement. Vikings quit offering him 1 year contract. Offer him 3 years the most. He wants to retire as the vikings. He didn’t announced his retirement. It was his Agents so he is not exactly retired. GET MOSS VIKINGS. GET RID OF BB, THE REST OF THE WRS CORPS, KEEP JENKINS, HARVIN AND MOSS. 16-0 PLUS A SUPERBOWL.

43. By Larson on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

FRAZIER CALL MOSS !

44. By Larson on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

CALL 1-800-MOSS-NOW

45. By JB on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Moss wasnt the problem last year the Viking’s never recovered from the loss to the Saint’s in the NFC Championship Game and with any and every coach and team theres pressure to win the vikings owners shouldnt have let Childress cut Moss and coach Frazier would have been able to work with him through the rest of the season he would have come in now with Mcnabb and they would be in training camp together if you listen to Mcnabb’s comment he wanted to play in Minnesota last year if i where the owner of the team i would invite Randy Moss to camp see if he still has the passion and if so i bought a new 84 jersey last season and i dont care what the media says has alot left and no one will be complaining when he’s in the end zone at the Metrodome. they had no problem chasing Favre to Mississippi twice allowing him to skip camp trust me Randy’s hurt by what happened with the Vikings and thats enough to drive him to retire. Lastly this team has Frazier and Singletary both of whom played the game he will respect them and play his best football i hope someone in the front office see’s this and thinks it’s not about the money if he play’s

46. By purple people eater on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

would like to see joe webb line up in the wild cat as a WR

47. By vikingbeast22 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

i think that Berrian has been a great help, but in last season he did not play to his full potential and if that continues i think that he should look forward into getting trading for Edwards,hope fully not though

48. By NickAtNight on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

It sure would b nice to see him have a good year since hes making over 6 mil a year! taking his previous years into account he has been the biggest waste of money on our roster just like madaiuh williams. If he doesnt perform this year he will b gone next season so its a win win for the vikes.

49. By NickAtNight on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I wholeheartedly agree with taking another shot on moss! last season was a huge mess cuz childress had a huge ego and wanted to show how much power he had! So he went and wasted a 3rd round pick on moss just so he could release him and grow an even bigger head. I love randy moss and hope that the vikes at least try to talk him into another stint in MN. he wont b expensive! somewhere from 1-3 mil a year and we could probably acquire him if we offered him a 3 yr deal. Its just the right thing to do for a man who gave us so much in his earlier years and who knows maybe he could b the key cog in a run based offense that could have some huge play action passing plays. Im not sayin were gonna win a super bowl if we sign him but it sure is a better possibility if we do. plus its the right thing to do to honor a future hall of famer with at least 3 yrs left in the tank! I implore u Mr. Frazier… Please for the sake of our team and our fans… Give Randy another shot and if he declines…oh well his loss… at least we wont have any regrets since we will b doin the right thing!

50. By vikingbeast22 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

i think that if we don’t get moss we should go after Desean Jackson, i think that maybe we should release Berrian because he is wasting our money and move on to Desean it would be a better deal in the end , it would save us money and make the team better.. because right now Desean is getting paid on a rookie contract so about 800 thousand for 4 yrs, if we could sign him he would be getting about 4 mill for like 3 yrs. i think the best thing to do is leave Berrian and go after Desean he would be happy on the amount of money we r willing to give him its better than 800 thous for 4 yrs…

51. By ghost on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Berrian wasn’t worth the money when we signed him to begin with. Cut your loss now and either get Peterson signed or use for trade bait.