Robison Plans To Take Advantage Of Starting Opportunity

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 31, 2011 – 12:04 pm

Vikings DE Brian Robison is one of the more passionate and outgoing football players I’ve been around. So it comes as no surprise to me that he was one of the first players to report to 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp on Sunday, especially considering he enters this year’s training camp as a heavy favorite to win a starting DE position.

With Ray Edwards having left via free agency, there’s a vacant starting spot at left DE and Robison has proven over his four-year career that he is capable of the job.

“It feels good,” Robison said when asked how it feels to enter training camp as a starter. “It’s an opportunity I’ve been wanting for a while and it’s an opportunity I plan on taking advantage of. So that’s my outlook coming in.”

Robison indicated he didn’t train much differently this offseason than in previous offseasons, although he did note one area he adjusted.

“I did a little bit more cardio so I’d be in [better] shape,” Robison commented. “But as far as the actual football side of things I really didn’t do too much different. I just tried to hone in on what I do right and improve on that and things I felt like in needed to work on [I tried to] improve on that as well. I just did what I’ve always done.”

Robison will be the team’s new left DE presumably and the Vikings will also have a new defensive coordinator in Fred Pagac. When Leslie Frazier was named interim head coach late last season, it was Pagac who stepped up to fulfill the defensive coordinator role. Now with Frazier in the fold as the head coach, Pagac will remain as defensive coordinator.

“I think it might be a little bit more aggressive, possibly,” Robison said of the Vikings defensive scheme with Pagac as the coordinator. “Obviously that’s something we’ll see here in the next three or four days, kind of what his scheme is and what he thinks he wants to do. But just based off of the last four or five games that we had with him last year he seems to be a little bit more aggressive with blitzes.”

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Robison Plans To Take Advantage Of Starting Opportunity”

1. By Noah on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

yeah buddy robison best LE around he will have double-digit sacks!!!!!

2. By Jesse on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Excited to see what this guy can do starting a full year. A high energy football player on the field who doesn’t let up.

3. By Don on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

yes thank you blitz..blitz..blitz’s..that four man rush thing is not where its at..for us anymore..

4. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Robison keeps a low profile, but has always seemed to make the most of his opportunities on the field. Edwards had moments of brilliance, but I don’t think we’re going to see a noticable dropoff in production from that position this year. Go VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. By sensi on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

GREENWAY AND WINFIELD BLITZIN ALL DAY

6. By Alex on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

As a Texas fan I am very happy to see Robison get his shot as a starter. He always played with a ton of intensity and passion on every down while at Texas. He is also a freak athletically (he won a team slam dunk contest while there as well). I predict Vikings fans will be pleased with this guy. You have have two high-motor guys bookending your line in Allen and Robison. Pretty salty!

7. By craig on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Out of all players on this team, this boy is sitting in the hottest seat. I can’t wait to see if we’re going to get our moneys worth, or if he’s nothing more than mouth.

8. By hornfan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

There’s no doubt about his motor ever letting down. He will create a frenzy in many backfields this year. Hope he stays healthy!

9. By Joe on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Blitzin?? Was it just me or did EJ. cause total havoc with the opposition throwing game 2 years ago? EJ. blitz!!! ….only way to go.

10. By Carl Brodin on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

With Robinson on the left side this could be a hybrid 4-3 3-4 defence because we could stand him up as a LB sometimes and really confuse people that would be a nice wrinkle and have Greenway and Winfield Blitz.

11. By MakeAPoint on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

With Osi Umenyioura out there he’s worth investigating. This guys an awesome pass rusher