Jenkins Added To Vikings WR Corps

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 31, 2011 – 12:18 pm

If you would’ve told me three days ago that the Vikings signed a free agent who was most recently with the Atlanta Falcons, I would’ve guessed it was one of their three offensive linemen on the market. But if you told me one day ago that a former Falcon would wind up with the Vikings, I would’ve guessed it was WR Michael Jenkins.

And I would’ve been right.

Jenkins, who will wear #84 in Minnesota, was released by Atlanta Friday morning and it didn’t take long for the Vikings to scoop up the 6-4, 217-pound WR. In Minnesota, Jenkins will fit well as an outside receiver and he gives QB Donovan McNabb a big target, which will be especially helpful in the red zone.

The move reunites Jenkins with both Bill Musgrave and George Stewart. Jenkins was a first-round pick of Atlanta in 2004 and during his career there Musgrave was an assistant coach from 2006-10 and Stewart was the WRs coach. Interestingly enough, the only season Jenkins, Musgrave and Stewart were all in Atlanta together was Jenkins’ most productive campaign in terms of TDs (he had seven).

Jenkins, who played college football at Ohio State University, became dispensable in Atlanta because the Falcons made a blockbuster trade in last April’s draft to jump up to the #6 overall pick, and with that pick they selected WR Julio Jones. With star WR Roddy White already in the fold, the addition of Jones probably sealed Jenkins’ fate.

In seven seasons with the Falcons, Jenkins never quite produced up to the level you expect from a first-round WR. He did have 7 TDs in 2006, but he never caught more than 53 passes in a season and then his opportunities really decreased when White came onto the scene.

But in Minnesota, Jenkins will have an opportunity to be relevant again if he can hold off the rest of the Vikings young WR corps. Keep in mind, though, that Jenkins will have a leg up on the competition because he already knows Musgrave’s playbook.

Tags: , ,
Posted in All | 128 Comments »

128 Responses to “Jenkins Added To Vikings WR Corps”

1. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

All of this is great. Wake me up when the Vikings sign a top free agent offensive lineman.

2. By Mike B on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Fred your off the hook. They signed Scott Kooistra , OT from the Ravens. You got your Vet FA signing for the OL. That’s the only one so far.

3. By Dennis on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

WOW…that’s really great!……WHO?

4. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Let’s examine where the Vikings have made postive moves towards the 2011 season.

QB–Need you ask, McNabb and Ponder (Joe Webb’s waiting in the wings)
    WR– We’ve added everybody and their sister. No way I could name all the
    names added to this posse.
    TE– High draft pick
    DE- High draft pick
    DT- High draft pick
    S- nada
    CB- nada
    LB- nada, but this is already a fairly strong group (Average NFL)
    Special teams – nada
    T-nada (no high pick, no top fa)
    G-nada
    C- nada
    RB- nada (one of the best groups in NFL)

So…T, G, C, S, CB, and special teams. Were these not the weakest areas of our team in 2010? AND YOU’RE GOING TO DO NOTHING?????

~~~Okay it’s your team !~~~~~~~

5. By Dennis on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Who needs Sidney Rice? Who needs Braylon Edwards? We got a great wide out that was cut by the Falcons! Are the vikings shooting for NFC Central cellar dwellers two years in a row? LOOKS LIKE IT!!!!

6. By Mike B on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Ooops he’s a back up tackle that played only one game in six seasons. He is able to play either side. Could be a good back up. So he’s not the big name Vet that you wanted Fred

7. By Cesar on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

ok how about we try to get CB Cromartie its not like our secondary needs help right? c’mon Jenkins is cool and everything but we NEED CB SS FS OL

8. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B,

Thank you for the information. Kooistra is an NFL veteran who has played in more than 80 games since 2003 when he was drafted in the 7th round. He does add to our depth, and he’s huge at 6’6″ 336′, or something.

It will help to have him, but I am not off the hook.

We need to add a top flight offensive lineman, to make this unit one that doesn’t leave A.D. stopped cold at the line of scrimmage. We want one of the best lines in football, not one of the worst. Kooistra adds depth. That is important, but not enough to get to the Super Bowl.

9. By Cesar on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

With all the money we havent spent maybe we can buy out Cromartie look what the eagles are doing im sure we have enough money to get someone more interesting

10. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.,

I think you are probably aware of the rookie free agents the vikings picked up.

There are some offensive linemen in that group (3 last time I heard about it).

Perhaps some good linemen and defensive backs could emerge from that group. It does happen in today’s NFL.

Even in 2009 our defensive backfield was pretty weak. In fact, I can’t remember when the Vikings had great d-backs. Perhaps we had a great group in the late 1990’s, but I wasn’t watching the team much during those years.

Joey Browner was great. Sharper was good at getting interceptions. Antoine Winfield has certainly been an exciting player.

It’s tough to cover NFL wide receivers, they have the rules behind them.

11. By josh on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

i wish we’d go after cromartie, that’d be a big help in our secondary.

also, we need one of these good free agent wide outs left please.

t.o. mcnabb reunion anyone?!

12. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Cesar,

Why is Cromartie suddenly available? Does he have DWI’s or other types of problems?

Harvey Dahl would be great for the Vikings Offensive Line, but I think Atlanta is aware of his value. I doubt we’ll get him.

Trading for a top db like Cromartie could get expensive.

Maybe I should quit complaining, at least right now the Vikings are a competitive team (8-8 at best, but competitive). We don’t want to trade some of our top players for Cromartie, and then have problems at those positions.

It may be too late to obtain dbs or ol. We already gave up the pooch!

13. By Carl K on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Frederick- We did add CB Brandon Burton. CBSSports.com had him ranked as the 73 overall best player in the 2011 NFL Draft. Burton was one of the top ten CB in this draft…. I am excited about Burton and he could be a starter if Cook and Griffen can’t get it done.
    Frederick- We also Drafted OT/G Demarcus Love. CBSSports had him ranked 133 over in this draft class.

There are many successful OL players who WERE drafted in the later rounds or signed as a FA.
    IT IS TOO EARLY AND UNFAIR TO GIVE A “NADA” TO GUYS LIKE:
    Brandon Burton
    Demarcus Love
    Brandon Fusco
    Mistral Raymond
    Ross Homan
    Everyone of these guys have a great chance to make this team and become solid contributer and maybe even become a starter by the end of the year.

14. By Mike B on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I am wondering with all these WR coming to camp, who is going to end up on the team and who’s going to be out. I didn’t count but we must have 10 WR coming to camp. I hope not all those contracts are guarenteed. Like wow at one position.

15. By Bryan Highfill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Do any of you actually watch football? You say we need CB, S, G, C, and T. Allow me to expand on that.

CB – Well, we’ll have two starters (Cook and Griffin) who are returning this season. Winfield performed exceptional last season, like always, and Asher Allen improved dramatically. So, that’s four quality starters. Not to mention we got a steal in the 5th round of the draft when we pick up Brandon Burton out of Utah.

S – Arguably our weakest area sure, but we have en emerging star in Husain Abdullah (SS position set.) and we finally released M. Williams allowing a competition for FS between Sanford and T. Johnson (who the staff loves, and who played great in the ’09 playoffs)

G – Hutchinson was injured last season, however has been extremely durable over his career and could be on his way to the HOF, he’ll bounce back. Herrera will most likely be released if he doesn’t restructure his contract, because last year’s rookie Chris DeGeare played excellent in place of Hutch and will most likely kick it to RG.

C – Sullivan sat behind Viking great, Matt Birk. He had a pretty solid ’09 however had a nagging calf injury in 2010, he’s a bit undersized and the Vikings will most likely hold competition in camp between Sullivan, Fusco (6th rounder) and Jon Cooper.

T – McKinnie is pretty poor, but what other serviceable LTs are on the market? exactly, Loadholt had a terrific rookie season and last year suffered a shoulder injury but that has been taken care of now, look for him to continue mauling on the right side. Oh, and we also drafted another T in DeMarcus Love out of Arkansas – perhaps Loadholt can one day move to LT and Love can take RT.

AND JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE:

WR – Ok, we lost Rice. He’s had ONE solid season. I wish him the best. Like I said before, Berrian isn’t going anywhere, and he shouldn’t, he provides a terrific deep threat for McNabb. Jenkins is an amazing possession WR – sure he doesn’t have a ton of yards, but he moves the chains and can be utilized as a terrific Red Zone threat (6’4″ 220) Harvin is of course, a Pro Bowl caliber slot WR… look for him to flourish this season. Then we’ll have a dogfight for the remaining WR spots in camp.

Quit whining and think before you post… it’s a capped year. Young players need to step up. Thats the thing Childress never seemed to get, you have to let younger players develop.

16. By Carl K on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I think our young talent is very good, and I would love to see us let them play and develop.
    Pat Brown, Chris Degeare, Brandon Fusco, D. Love are young OL backups that I think have a bright future in the NFL. I can’t wait to see them get an opportunity to play. Good Luck guy! Go kick some @ss in camp and win a starting job!!!!

17. By Carl K on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I should add Seth Olsen, Thomas Welch and Rod Huntley to that list as well!

18. By BIG DUKE 6 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Not even a good # 3 are you kidding me. How about we sign some one good. Oh wait they have all been signed. Pick up some more fodder.

19. By Max on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Guys Jenkins is actually a good receiver.

20. By Max on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

u guys wouldnt know kuz u gys aint real football fans

21. By Max on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

He’s as good as Sidney Rice i think kuz hes as tall and he can catch almost every pass to him

22. By rick cozzi on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

like the post Bryan Highfill the viking will be ok

23. By Andy on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Wow, Kooistra! A 7th round journeyman who had been waived several times and is now with his 5th team. Whatever Speilman……..

24. By vikings fan 1955 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

fredrick u need to know that we have given away 2 coaches that have went on to win superbowls and now we have a coach in the same mold as them not because they are blk but they have better vision and I can feel that in frasier. Trust me the players he is putting together will perform for him better than the players did for chill. I see good things this yr and if u think the coach has chosen these players not knowing how to use them u will eat ur words soon I say that to all that are knocking the decisions being made. All of it is not being decided by the front office and believe me frasier is having big input on who he wants on the field I’m with every player and the coach that is on this team un til they show me they can’t get it done, VIKING FAN EVER

25. By D-Mac on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We need to address our secondary which is the main problem we cant defend the pass

26. By cweb2628 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Bryan Highfill,
    and @vikings fan 1955

Well said by both of you. People forget that just because somebody isn’t a HUGE name player doesn’t mean they won’t be productive. Maybe the Vikings aren’t picking up some of these high profile guys because they don’t fit in with their system????? And why does everyone forget that the current offensive line is pretty much the same group of guys from ’09? And I don’t remember a whole lot of hating going on that year. So what, they had one bad year last year, mostly due to nagging injuries, and all of a sudden they are useless and need to be replaced?

27. By Daniel on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I personally like what has been going on so far except the saftey possition and RG. Do we even have a starter at FS or SS? Tyrel Johnson is a ok hitter and Abdula seemed ok, but the only Saftey we have that I see so far is Johnson, And personally I don`t see it working. I love Bernard Pollard. He is a Big time hitter,leader and coverage guy that we need. As far as a Guard, leonard davis would be a good pickup. for a year or two. We should also go out and pickup Alan Branch from arizona. he is a free agent. and I remember him coming out of mich. This dude could be a big time addition for us. He is young and has the strength, speed, and youth to match up with kevin williams. our new guy from the saints took Farve out, yes. But is not the answer.

28. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Bryan Highfill,

I liked your analysis for the most part. However you exaggerated and lied about the cornerback position. One or two starts does not make you a starter.

My point about the offensive line since the end of the 2010 season is that we don’t have ANYONE who has shown himself to be a good blocker except Hutchinson.

We have spent a lot of money on other positions other than our weaknesses, which happen to be LT LG C RG RT and CB CB S and S. AND WE HAVE DONE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT.

This is very scary to myself, and the “other school of thought.” We realize that you have to have good players at these positions, especially if you expect
    to have a R U N N I N G T E A M ! ! !

29. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Meanwhile the other camp is thinking about how badly we need another wide receiver. What good is another receiver if your quarterback is on the ground with a fresh ACL injury?

Put the horses before the cart. That way they can pull you to the finish line !

But NNNOOOOOO, we want to add more carts.

30. By Mike B on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@cweb2628, Bryan, Vikings Fan I agree with you about the OL they had injuries and some poor play. i think they will come back and do bettet this year. But the concerns raised by Fred and others are valid to them. The organization is definately not looking to grow youth in the QB or WR positions. Why expect that at other positions of need reguardless of how I or you all feel. They don’t feel comfortable with our current OL and they are putting their opinions here. I make jokes at Fred but I have no malice on his opinions. I think Fred is a committed Vikings Fan and like all Fans want the team to do well. I have been cheering the Vkings since I was 8 years old and now after 42 years still a fan. This an open and free forum so we should all enjoy and read the opinions of all fans. Joke around when you can too it’s all in good fun.

31. By Joe L on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

For everyone who is talking about the Vikes needing to bring in a big name player just look at what the Bucs did last year. They didn’t go crazy and spend money on the big names (they really didn’t spend much money at all but that’s a different story) and they were 1 game away from the playoffs with a VERY young team. Trust the Vikings front office and staff, they know what’s good for the team in the LONG RUN. I’m willing to sit back and watch a couple of mediocre years knowing that our current investments will payout in the future. Stop talking about what we don’t have and start talking about what we do have. Welcome to the team Mike Jenkins, SKOL VIKINGS!

32. By Chad on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Those of you thinking we still have many holes to fill are full of it to be honest. Sure, we DO need depth on the O-line, but the only person we lost since 09 was Artis Hicks and that didn’t matter much honestly. The 2010 season was just an unlucky year for the O-line because of constant injury issues.

As for our secondary, I have faith in our young guys to step up. We have corners on our team that some teams would absolutely LOVE to have on theirs. Cedric Griffin got hurt again last season so he couldn’t show much production. Antoine Winfield IS and ALWAYS WILL BE a Pro-Bowl caliber cornerback. Asher Allen showed great production last year. Chris Cook just needs to turn around and go get the ball and he will be a decent player.

Those of you saying we need Cromartie: That would be an absolute RIDICULOUS addition because we are fine at that position.

As for linebackers, we do need to replace Leber, but i have confidence that we can find someone in free agency that isn’t a big name but can prove himself as a Viking.

Seriously guys. Be Vikings fans and trust management on their decisions!

33. By Sam W on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The Vikes need to cut Berrian lets all be honest he hasn’t really shown his horns in the past couple seasons. It will free up cap space and allow management to address the WR and DB situation. With a couple of tweaks this team can be right back where they were 2 years ago, theres to much talent here for them to be not even make the playoffs.

34. By purplefizz on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Ok im convinced that the vikings are hoping for a receiver to step up this season and fill the void. I mean there’s nothing wrong with that but i would feel a little more confident if they brought in floyd or edwards. I guarantee that jenkins wont stretch the defense, but hopefully someone in our receiving corps will.

35. By Lance on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I hope he is as good as berrian

36. By rick from pa. on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

ive bin a viking fan since day one i live in pa. about 50 miles from philly if you fan donovan mcstupid is your saviour you dont know football he got ranout of philly cause he is abig loser he is a fran wonnabe the players they got suck all losers we need anew player personnel person maybe like the pack has signed a50 yrfan who is sickof stupid in minne.

37. By SamIam on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

FRED JONES YOUR AN IDOT: THE VIKINGS WILL NOT GO 8-8, THEY HAVE ENOUGH TALENT RIGHT NOW TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, AND DONT UNDERESTIMATE MCNABS DEEP DESIRE TO MAKE HIS CRITICS LOOK LIKE FOOLS…

38. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I completely agree with Brian Highfill. I am confident withour entire team to be highly competive axcept our safety position. Erin Henderson will fill leber’s spot and do just fine! Winfield, Griffin, Cook, Allen, and Burton I think will excite Viking fan this year. And Jenkins is a nice fit that will out perform Rice just watch and see for yourself! SKOL!!!

39. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Samlam,

Does insulting me make you feel better about yourself? There is no need to call anybody names on here.

40. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Chad,

I wish I had your faith. Then again the Vikings have finished 7-9 or 8-8 before, and that’s what it feels like with the current offensive line.

I hope, pray, and wish I was wrong.

41. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B,

Thank you for your support.

It seems that OLine bloggers come and go on this site. Same thing with the
    gimme a receiver, and the QB sucks group.

Yesterday there were more of the OLine type of bloggers.

42. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Frazier wants a running team. Perhaps that’s what he thought was wrong with the OLine. He may have felt that they didn’t get a chance to be a run oriented offensive line.

I hope he is right, and that makes this group better.

But football coaches know that you can’t get chicken salad out of
    chicken you-know-what !

Right now that’s what it appears we are trying to accomplish.

43. By Chris H. on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Sam about Berrian. He does not demand any respect from DB’s on the outside to help free up Percy inside. We saw what happened without Sidney last year. The offense was horrible. A top outside treat helps the running game and our OL. A healthy OL will give us a chance, but with a suspect secondary we will need to score many more points than we have lately.

44. By Lance The Red on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I am one of those OL type bloggers… but no one listens around :( They still do nothing and sign another wr that we didnt need.

45. By rye on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I think all negative fans will eat their words. Time will tell but I think…

Devin Aromashodu is a good young talent. He has already show flashes of greatness. He is a big receiver that may have a break out year with the Vikings. After all, he comes from Chicago… When is the last time they’ve developed any of their WR talent?

Mike Jenkins is a proven possession receiver with good hands. Big body receiver should be great in the Red Zone. I have seen video of him stretching the field, but time will tell if he will be a legitimate threat.

Percy Harvin. No worries here.

Emmanuel Arceneaux is a young receiver the vikings signed before the lockout from the CFL. The video looks great on this guy and he might be the deep threat if he can play well at the NFL level.

Juaquin Iglesias. Another young WR talent from the bears team. I remember when the bears drafted him many of their fans saying he was the next best thing. Again, never developed into what they thought (then again, when is the last time the bears developed a WR talent?).

The vikings stall have Jaymar Johnson who showed some good things last year but was hurt. They have also signed many other young WR to see what they have.

The vikings drafted Rudolf and now should have two good TE’s, making both the passing and running game better.

I am confident, the Vikings will be OK and think one of these recievers will start to shine. Perhaps I am being an optimist, but I am pumped to see these guys play.

46. By Max on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Guys stop on ripping the Vikings Officials like Leslie Frazier and Rick Spielmen or whatever his last name is, the Vikings are still a good team plus we have a team stocked with pro bowlers. Like Donovan McNabb, Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, the Williams Brothers, Chad Greenway, Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Mt. Mikkinie [don't know haow to spell his last name off the top of my head] and Cedric Griffen

47. By Max on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

And i agree with rye

48. By Carl K on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Jenkins returned punts at Ohio State. Here is one he took to the house.

49. By Daniel on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I was worried about our WRs till the moves the front office has done. Good Job Front office. But now I am really freaked out over our safties. Williams is gone, and Abdulla is re signed. WHO ARE OUR FREAKING SAFTIES? We need that spot beefed up fast! Bernard Pollard Was one of KCs best players. BRING IN THE FREAK VIKES!!!!

50. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Brian Highfill … excellent breakdown

only thing I disagree on is … your Cindy Rice comment , F Sidney Rice

@ Fred … another thing to think about is our weakest spots last year were OL, DB, WR, and QB ….

The OL was injured all over all year … and we played from behind most games making it easier for opposing teams to rush the passer.

The DBs were injured all year as well Chris Cook won the starting job by week 3 I think it was and was injured 2 games later so yes he was the starter

The QB was injured all year as well remember we finished with our #3 QB , and when you have a 41yo #1 with a broken ankle it doesnt help the line when the QB just stands there

so the question is how do we get the lead so we can pound the rock and keep defenses from bringing full on pass rush every down?

WR …. without Moss we averaged 13 points per game :( with Moss we averaged 20 points per game :) EVERYBODY ELSE WAS THE SAME

The OL without Moss averaged 13 points per game :( the OL with Moss averaged 20 points per game :)

So with a healthy team … thats healthy OL, DB , and QBs we will be better and however good we are with a healthy team … WE WILL BE 7 POINTS BETTER WITH MOSS !!!!!!!!

84 LIFE BBM !!!!

51. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

52. By Daniel on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Another area of urgent Need is DT. Is Pat going to be here? We need to know. Is the wall out 4 games? If so we need a guy like Alan Branch to bring some speed up front. I believe we had such a good run in 09 because of our speed up front. IF Allen shows up this year AND Robinson/Griffen (I like Griffen/Ballard better) Shows up, then Thats a PART of the purple people eaters. BUT we need the middle just like the outside. The Giants get that. Pat played outstanding in 09. I personally thought better than Kevin.

53. By vikings fan 1955 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

go vikes

54. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

For the record I think Frazier is doing wonderfull , I feel much better about our WRs this year then I did week 1 last year

Baskett and Lewis ( our week 1 #2 ) was scary ( in the bad sense )

and besides Moss or Edwards …. Jenkins was the next best choice, I just dont think hes a #1

55. By cvikeswin on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Give it some time gentlemen, it is early in the Frazier Musgrave regime and it will take time for them to build this team. Jenkins is a very good fit for the Musgrave offense, his is a big physical receiver and a very good blocker. Remi Ayodele.is a solid DT who has gotten better every year he’s been in the league. kyle Rudolph is a beast and will make an immediate impact in both the running game and as a receiver. Frazeir is bringing a new attitude and enthusiasm to the team that respects him so he will get the most from a team that under achieved last year. Not to mention the fact that McNabb has a chip and AP is ready to step u cad p and finally be the focal point of this offense. Look for a 9 or 10 win season and a possible wild birth, Go Vikes!!!

56. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

57. By demvikesdat on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

#84 Bring back Moss

58. By Taimak Rush on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Jenkins is trash compared ti RIce man we need Braylon Edwards …………Moss……………..Braylon Edwards……………Moss…….Braylon Edwards…………Moss////// MOSs………….Braylon Edwards…………Vikings i have no why we signed Jenkins for what….. like he’s somewaht old …we need braylon……. Moss……why not Malcom Floyd he’s way better….. like come on man ……

59. By wolfman on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Jenkins is a better reciever than people think. I would like to see a more reliable deep threat than we have in Berrian, but remember that McNabb is more of a middle to short passer anyways. It looks that we’re going to see more of a “safe” passing game this year, which is not all that bad IF our running game can be what it’s capable of.

Which brings me to our O-line. People, we had more injuries last year than people realize. Hutch and Loadholt both had nagging injuries as did Sullivan. McKinnie needs to get it together in terms of the fast outside pass rushers, no doubt about that.

I am concerned about our safety position. Other than that, I think we’ll be very competative.

Go Vikes!

60. By Daniel Roetcisoender on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I think this is a great move by the Vikings. They needed to bring in a talented receiver for a cheaper price, and they did!

61. By Woodboat on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Brian Highfil

Whew. Gimme a second, I need to wipe some of the positive thinking off me!
    Can you tell me where you bought those spiffy rose-colored gla sses? LOL

Our CBs have a chance to improve over last year, if they can stay healthy. If Cook or Griffen can step up, we can have 2 average CBs on the field. I LOVE Winfield, but he’s not a great cover corner, he’s a great tackler. Allen improved last year, from horrid to merely inept.

Safety, yeah, you may be right. Time will tell if Sanford or Johnson can catch a ball thrown right to them, but they’ll get the chance. Lord knows Williams couldn’t catch a ball if you handed it to him.

Our O Line though. Hutch is still servicable, but you won’t see him pulling any time soon. Herrerra is awful. McKinney is awful. Sully… we’ll see if he ate enough cheeseburgers during the offseason to anchor the line.

The biggest farce is Loadholt. He did a HORRIBLE job anchoring the right side, and he’ll never get any better. HE HAS NO FEET. He can’t can’t stay in front of an edge rusher without holding… and you want him on the left side?

Try watching him play this year…. we ought to get a lot of instant replays during the periods that the trainers are applying the smelling salts to McNabb/ Ponder/ Webb.

62. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Braylon Edwards is way over rated and has butter fingers, why in the world would we want him? If he was so great he would still be a jet! Randy was fun the first time and a bit exciting the second time but he still doesn’t like to run the whole route tree and costs to much to justify bringing him back. Floyd would have been a nice pick up but we need a safety worse than him right now! SAFETY is the need right now not WR! Face it guys Moss nor Edwards is coming here so move on!

I approve of the moves to this point. Just go get a safety now!

63. By Andrew on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Better save that #84 for the rightful owner RANDY MOSS. Put Jenkins in #18

64. By Swedish Viking on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Can’t belive that they are giving him #84 ….. I agree with Andrew, give him #18 and save #84 for the rightful owner RANDY MOSS !!!!!!

65. By DRXXXTASY on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I totally agree with you on the #84 post @Andrew.

66. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Just watched the pressers and I gotta say the more I hear Frazier and Ponder talk the more I like both of them …

HEY VIKING FANS WE ARE ALL GOOD AT QB FOR THE NEXT 15 YEARS!!!

67. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I really belive we are PLAYOFF BOUND … and just 1 Moss shy of a Super Bowl

68. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

69. By Shawn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

70. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the fact our O-line will play better. They could not play as bad as last year. In 2009 I thought Chester Taylor picked up the blitz well, thus allowing Favre more time for deep targets of Percy and Rice. That hid some of the problems with our line. If we don’t pick up a veteran lineman of quality, I would like to see a Marion Barber signing, because I feel he, like Chester Taylor does a great job of picking up blitzes.

71. By Alan Helimsky on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

easy 8-8 season. were good at everything but OL and S. That can be done through free agency.

72. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I see that Barber has signed with Chicago. We’ll have to look for someone else. Having followed the Gophers for years I see Maroney is available, but his production and injuries have really hampered his production. There may be more to his injuries that teams are staying away from him for now.

73. By David P on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

After all these readings about the great FA pickups and who several people recommend I have one thought. I wish Mike was in my fantasy league. The reason, that would be an easy win every week. Because if his fantasy picks are like his FA recommendations for the vikings I would have at least 2 wins. Come on, somone admit that the vikings dropped the ball in the FA and draft this year.

74. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

David P: Time will tell if the Vikes dropped the ball this season, you may be right. It could be that they hadn’t planned for the rapid signing period adequately with cap room. I don’t know. I think the Viking philosophy in recent years was to sign and pay players in the organization we know are elite players. We did pick up McNabb which should stabilize some of the QB play. Look for players that fit our coaches schemes and systems. Albert Haynesworth is an interesting example. The Skins paid him a fortune to come in, even though they were going 3-4 and he hates playing 3-4. The Patriots will get him for a song, but he still has to play 3-4. It will be interesting to see how his performance is this season.

75. By dirtybirds420 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

i’m not really a vikings fan, but i’ve watched jenkins most of his career. hes probably the best run blocking wide receiver in football, who can occasionally make a nice snag. he’ll be good in the running game, but i wouldnt count on him anymore than 4-5 td’s a season.

76. By SO? on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

vikings 31 green bay 0

77. By BrevinTheVike on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Wow, All I read is hating on the Viking. Awesome you dont think that the Vikings would be addressing the so called problems they have if they didnt think the people on the roster wouldnt fit the bill.

78. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The biggest reason I want Moss and Sharper back in Viking purple now is that the Vikings on their website are now selling Moss and Sharper home replica jersey’s they were $85, now $9.99. If they brought them back now, everyone could afford to wear their replica jerseys!

79. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

8-8 is very reasonable, but due to injuries teams can steal or drop 3 games so I’m going out on a limb in saying we’ll win between 5 and 11 games! HA!

80. By Woodboat on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I have to believe that the Vikes are going to run a 3 step quick pa ss style of offense this year. A 2 TE set with Harvin and Jenkins split wide, quick pa sses will keep the pressure off our substandard line. If Rudolph can pa ss block (Shank can’t), they can run some deep stuff from time to time. AP is going to take a beating behind the line of scrimmage ala Barry Sanders unless something changes.

Vikings 31, Packers 0…. what is that, sacks allowed? LOL

81. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Frederick: In an earlier post you put “Special teams-nada”. As a coach, don’t you take players who have speed, are aggressive, and can tackle and if they’re not good enough to start, put them on the special teams. Who would you have liked to have seen added to the roster to improve the special teams?
    I think for some of the guys to eventually start they earn it in practice and through special teams on game day.

82. By Woodboat on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@BrevinTheVike… just calling it the way we see it. I Believe Loadholt led the lead in holding calls last year… we APPEAR to have one of the weakest right sides (OL) in football. Our LT gets beat regularly. The guys that we have backing them up theoretically weren’t good enough to take the spots from the starters. We picked up some undrafted guys, a late rounder, and an undrafted 5th year FA. Some of us were hoping the team would go OL early and often. Sue us for being a little pessimistic.

83. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat, you’re hilarious!

84. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I thought the Vikings could have picked up a Tauscher, Light, or Mankins. They are proven players.

85. By Woodboat on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@ Arrow86 I’m guessing Fred was pointing at our longsnapper… lol.
    Seriously, he was probably talking about punter and kicker, not the other 10 guys that are on the field at the time. I don’t know that either of these positions warrant much competition, but neither was addressed… hence the nada. I noticed he put nada on our RBs as well, then went on to claim that our RBs are among the best in the NFL.

86. By Woodboat on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

It very well may be that the team overextended trying to win a ring in the last two years and are feeling the pinch financially. Hard to go after big names when you start off, what 5 million over the cap? Lets just hope that we get this ship righted before AP is too long in the tooth to still be AP. I’d hate to see him waste his career waiting for the Vikes to get their stuff together.

87. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Arrow and Woodboat,

It’s nice to know that someone reads my blogs. lol

I’m not any better than anyone else in recommending who to pick up as a free agent or rookie signing. In that area I’m probably worse than most bloggers because I do not watch college football.

The NFL does have a lot of rules that favor the offense. I still thing the big fellas up front have a lot of influence on what the “skill” position players can accomplish.

It is easy to nit pick and find the negative. But remember last year when all the bloggers were freaking out because of the porous offensive line?

Do you really want a repeat of that???

88. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We are better off having mediocre wide receivers, and having a line that can get things done.

89. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Are Spielman and Frazier counting on Dr. Love, and the other draftee to shore up the swiss cheese offensive line?

What are the Vegas Odds on that one?

90. By Brooks on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

When is first TELEVISED Vikes pre-season game???

91. By Philly Viking on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Jenkins should not be allowed to wear #84 nobody at all he’s only a 2 or #3 Wr at best now good hands yes but we still need a stud as in (Braylon Edwards) to make this Montley Crew of WR’s complete he will push it to the limit and make Donovan McNugget look better he’s still there waiting for us to get him remember everyone our whole divison wooped on our azz bad now the Center really have to be changed cause he can’t handle a straight on bull rush up the middle and that’s a very weak point on the Oline and the quickest way to our Qb everytime I have a very sild CB in mind and its Carlos Rodgers to bring in for maybe a 2 or 3yr contract hey we had Lito Shepard and he’s straight trash wasted money thanks again chilly for getting another one of your old buddies paid for nothing! now Wilf Bros. and Rick stop being scared we need a stud WR to compete I’ve been saying Bernard Berrian needs to hit the weight room hard cause he seems to cant seperate from corners anymore so that might put him on the choppin block sorry now we have Devin Aromashodu THIS IS CHESS NOT CHECKERS!!!

92. By Brooks on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

And I mean LIVE TELEVISED.

93. By Philly Viking on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

BRAYLON EDWARDS means more wins more primetime tv games NEW STADIUM PLAYOFF WINS isn’t thats what we want?

94. By Frederick Jones on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The pre-season games will be the Webb and Ponder show. Everybody will tune in for those games!

I feel good about having McNabb as our qb. He brings optimism to the entire organization just like Favre did two years ago.

95. By CA Norwegian on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Maybe Since we didn’t spend on Rice they would hire some DB(s) or OL, of the larger contract type.

96. By CA Norwegian on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Thinking it over, I was wrong about this Jenkins guy. These guys are adding to a great team for cheap… But they should spend on OL and secondary. I’d be curious about blocking clips, of Jenkins and how many tackles the guys he is going against makes on run plays.

97. By Parody on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Fred – Chill out. Do you want an offensive line that resembles the Vikings of 2009, or the Vikings of 2010? They were the same guys, but with differences occuring in 2010 that are all very likely to be reversed.

One difference was that all our opponents KNEW that #4 was not healthy, and exploited that knowledge with constant blitzes, which made him even less healthy. That’s something that has already been fixed with a younger healthier QB, who still has an impressive resume to stand behind.

Another difference is that the starting linemen were never close to healthy. At almost every point during the season, at least one of them was injured, or at least fighting through severe pain on the field. With 8-months of recouperation, good offseason workouts and proper coaching it’s more than likely that all 5-guys will come back as healthy as ever.

And finally, there was a limited amount of competion for the OL. This is something that also is very likely to be changing with the current staff, as we have added 2-promising rookies. DeGeare, who was just drafted last year, is likely to be ready to compete for the starting role and push Herrera out, and Cooper is also going to be able to give the starter a run for his money.

Fine, we didn’t add a household name at the line. But if you compare what we have now to what we had in 2009, I’d feel safe saying that the current crew has the ability to one-up the performance of the men who got us SO close to the Super Bowl.

98. By Old School on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

What a joke…….picking up other teams cast-off’s…….he has hands of stone!

99. By Old School on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

another Bernard,,,,,,,,,what a turd of a pick-up!

100. By Old School on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

This team will be 1-5 in the North alone! I say 4-12 or 5-11 at best this year!

If you think they will be better than that………………….PLEASE EXPLAIN how in this condition!!!!!

101. By Carl K on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Parody- Good points. I agree, the current oline has the ability to one up the performance from 2010. But I am not sure if I agree that all the differences from 2009 to 2010 will be reversed. How healthy, in shape and motivated our Ol is is still a question.

The Vikings will continue to see 8-9 guys in the box and blitzing until we prove we can handle it. Can we handle it is still a question? 2 TE will help, More play actions will help.

102. By Mark on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Pollard and Cromartie( now a Jet,again) are terrible, don’t need either of them. If our O-line stays healthy, they will do fine. Have some faith in the system. They have some young lineman I’m sure they waiting to see how they measure up.

103. By Mark on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Really, REALLY should pick up Noel Devine, as a returner and second slot.

104. By Carl K on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat- I like the idea of a quick 3 step p@ss style offense like you suggest. But that is NOT McNabb’s style of play! And we have 2 good p@ss catching TE, so to utilize a pass catching TE you need time to let them get open. Because we have the best running back in the league, we will probably continue to use him, and have a 2 TE smash mouth style with play with a play action p@ssing attack that will open up some shots down field. Play action 5-7 step drops fit our personal better. Harvin, Berrian, Jenkins, and our TEs can burn team deep if we give Mc Nabb some time.

105. By Rocksalt on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

well, I like what we have done to address WR issues. O line is still a bit weak, but I feel beeter about the vikes Offense now. Still gonna be tough in the NFC North……

106. By Josh Carlson on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I have no problem with picking up jenkins he is a decent reciever with sure hands which is great because berrian will have plenty of drops so some one has to make up for it. I have a HUGE problem with anyone but randy moss wearing 84 this number belongs to one viking and he needs to come reclaim it this year

107. By Rocksalt on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

meant better……

108. By Jeffbleedspurple on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Until Jenkins proves he is no improvement over Berrian, I will say good enough for now, any improvement is good improvement.

109. By Max on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Jeffbleedspurple

DO YOU WATCH ANY FOOTBALL!? He is one of the best I’ve seen, on my list he’s 2nd right next to Reggie Wayne, and he’s 5000000000 places before Randy Moss.

110. By Brooks on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN WILL BE FIRST TELEVISED (LIVE) VIKINGS PRE-SEASON GAME ????

111. By Vinnie on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

im with old school….theres no way we win more than 4-5 games this year…for some reason every year we ignore our DB’s who are our biggest need..well we have several big needs but DB’s should be first and foremost…whoever said abdullah had a great year last year must be smoking crack he had 2 INT’s against interception king cutler but other than that he did absolutely nothing…chris cook is a loser who cant stay healthy same with griffin i woulda cut both of them the second I was able to…i got $100 that says neither of them makes it through the first 4 games without a serious injury….we refuse to sure up the o-line …who was a JOKE last year….im just not seeing how you can go 6-10 in 2010 then come back with the dame turds on your team as last year and expect to do any better when every other team around you is loading up…..gonna be another long year guys you can count on that…FIRE SPIELMAN

112. By Vikingfan69 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I think the Vikings should try to get Ose Umenyoura from the Giants as he has said he wants a trade. Just think Jared on one side and Osi on the other and the wiilliams wall in the middle. Just a thought.

113. By Max on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

The ppl who rip on the vikes and say they suck are really Packer fans that are idiots to go on this website, lets get them

114. By wezo on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

If jenkins is this good fit guy, then why did Atlanta release him.Please dont say because of contract issues.
    I just dont see this team being competive for 16 games. Maybe 8 while still falling short an losing 3 out of tha 8 . We go 5-11 at best unless somebody big in our division is sidelined with an injury.

115. By Clay on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

All of you guys bagging on the Vikings, please go find yourselves another team. How about you show at least a little bit of encouragement for your team? Sheesh…

116. By Parody on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

@Vinnie – I’ll take you up on that bet. If both Griffin and Cook get sidelined for more than the remainder of one game during the first four weeks of the year, I’ll pay you $100. And if at least one of them is able to avoid injury, I expect you to send $100 my way ;)

117. By Tyler on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Cedric Griffin is underrated,if he can stay healthy he and Winfield will make a good tandem.I would also like to see what Burton can do.

118. By chad on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

we need to go and get asante samuel and also malcom floyd and then we will make it to the superbowl

119. By vikingbeast22 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

i think that we really do need Asante and if we get him than the squad is ganna be HYPE, but evean if we dont get him we still going to the super bowl.. i think that jenkings is ganna be great help to the squad if berrian keeps lacking

120. By Max on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I think we have a great team witch could be a superbowl team. Adding Charlie Johnson, and Micheal Jenkins was a great idea. Micheal Jenkins is a deep threat for McNabb. And Charlie is a great OL from a superbowl winning team.

121. By 66 on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
    …………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
    ……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`\

122. By ★Spencer★ Senior Blogger™ on May 10, 2012 | Reply

h

123. By ★Spencer★ Senior Blogger™ on May 10, 2012 | Reply

whatever you want to type

124. By ★Spencer★ Senior Blogger™ on May 10, 2012 | Reply

whatever text here – large writing

whatever text here – large writing

125. By Willy on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for a good laugh.

126. By Joesph on Jul 3, 2014 | Reply

This article is very interesting but it took me a long time to find
    it in google. I found it on 22 spot, you should
    focus on quality backlinks building, it will help you to increase traffic.
    And i know how to help you, just type in google – k2 seo tips
    and tricks

127. By does baking soda whiten teeth on Aug 12, 2014 | Reply

Can you tell us more about this? I’d like to
    find out some additional information.

128. By Christoper on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know
    how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates
    unique, SEO friendly articles in minutes, just search in google – laranitas free content source