New NFL QB Rule Could Mean More Action For Joe Webb

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 30, 2011 – 9:49 am

With all of the Collective Bargaining Agreement news this offseason, it was easy to forget a few of the rules changes that took place in the NFL. And with the arrival of two new QBs (Donovan McNabb and Christian Ponder) in Minnesota, it was easy to forget about Joe Webb.

But these two issues are going to be important for the Vikings and Vikings fans this season.

Under old rules, NFL teams were allowed to have 45 players on their active game day roster. A 46th player was designated as the emergency or 3rd QB. If the emergency QB entered the game before the 4th quarter, then the other two QBs were disqualified.

Under the new rules, NFL teams are allowed to have 46 players on their active game day roster. In addition, the emergency QB rule is abolished, which means a team’s 3rd string QB can enter the game at any point without disqualifying the other two QBs.

This could be a big deal for the Vikings and perhaps for Webb. With McNabb now in the fold, the plan is for him to start and it’s possible that Ponder will perform well enough in training camp and the preseason to win the backup job. In this scenario, Webb would be the 3rd string QB. Under the old rules, Webb likely wouldn’t enter the game until the 4th quarter. But now, the Vikings offensive coaching staff can be creative in how they deploy Webb. He can line up at QB or WR, he can return kicks and he can run a Wildcat-type of package.

All of this is presuming quite a few things, from McNabb being named the starter and staying healthy to Ponder playing well enough to win the backup job. Remember, Webb enters training camp with a leg up on Ponder because of experience.

No matter how you slice it, though, the new QB rule is significant for the Vikings. And for the Vikings ability to get Webb and his athletic ability out on the field as often as possible.

Tags: , ,
Posted in All | 88 Comments »

88 Responses to “New NFL QB Rule Could Mean More Action For Joe Webb”

1. By NY Viking on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Could’nt agree more with this post. Was thinking the same thing. I think Web will be outstanding with his role and his talent. Go Joe!

2. By Nate on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I lost all hope in the Vikings. Joe Webb or nothing!

3. By Nate on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

TRADE JOE WEBB TO THE LIONS PLEAZZE. HE DESERVES BETTER MANAGEMENT AND A BETTER OPPORTUNITY THAN THIS.

I QUARENTEE MCNOOB WOULD HAVE LOST THAT MONDAY NIGHT GAME AGANIST THE EAGLES.

TRADE HIM TO THE LIONS AND WATCH THEN WIN THE SUPER BOWL… WATCH!

4. By Don on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

great for webb..but really somebody please tell why all the talk for a wr..and no safety

5. By Nate on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

CAUSE DON HE PROBABLY HAS NEVER HASD TO TACKLE SOMEONE BEFORE.

HES TO FAST TO BE PLAYIN SAFTY ANYWAYS

6. By Meekay on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Webb is a great athelete. I know he would be great a wr. Maybe he would be good at cb, too?

7. By Skol_Vikes89 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

1. Nate calm down or get off our teams board. Find something better to do with your time.

2. I am so glad that the 3rd QB rule has been abolished. I still think Webb might be the man of the future and not Ponder, but to get him in like the Eagles did with Vick in WIldcats and such, will help out a lot. Our teams as punch as possible.

8. By RWF1984 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Nate I believe that Don was talking about FA and not Webb moving to safety! Most of the talk is on how the Vikings are looking for a WR and he is wondering why they are not pursuing a safety!

9. By RWF1984 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I like what you are about on Webb on how they are just pushing him aside when he shown that he is way better than T. Jackson could ever be!

10. By Cesar on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Nate your an idiot go to the lions website and tell them to go get webb

11. By Meekay on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Whatever happens I don’t want to see webb wasting away on the bench.

12. By Odin's One Good Eye on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

On the money, Mike. This was one of those really bad rules anyway. Glad the rules committee takes time to review and throw out at least some of them that make no sense. Now if we could just work on those other 20…

13. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

That’s a rule that I wasn’t aware of. I always thought that the emergency QB was only allowed to play if the other QBs were injured and unable to play, I didn’t realize it removed their eligibility to play in the game. I definitely agree that it was a poor rule now that I do understand it. Of course the same kind of rule seems to work just fine in baseball, although it applies to every position on the field, instead of just one.

14. By Swedish Viking on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Put in Webb as WR and sign RANDY MOSS !!!!!

15. By EPIC on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I am glad the rule is gone as well. As for the QB’s we have I would take Webb over Ponder any day of the week. Exspecially with our OLine being questionable. Ponder has had a colege career with many missed games due to injury. He’s not the most mobile and with our OLine he will be trying to run for his life. Everything I have seen about Ponder makes him a good backup and maybe a fair starter with a good to pro bowl caliber OLine. Webb has many more intangibles and it fits having McNabb as a mentor. I believe all he is the QB the Vikes need to concentrate on for the future, get a few new OLinemen to replace slowholdt and the McKinnie revolving doors and see what a passing game becomes when the QB has more then 2 seconds to let the pass set up.

I bet they would see a massive difference in productivity if we would have been able to get someone like Clabo or Harvey Dahl on the line.

Win or Lose always a vikes fan.

16. By sensi on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

lol all these lions bandwagon hoppers! YEA just send webb to the lions for nothing and bam superbowl or bust that is what everybody is talking about… JUST SHUT THE F UP… nobody wants to hear your ignorance

17. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

will someone tell me what language Nate was speaking , and translate if it is worth the time

thanks

18. By Moss Fan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Have we signed Randy Moss yet?

19. By Stoney on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@ MOSS FAN, no, we didn’t do anything. A 6-10 team that has not tried to improve

20. By Randy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more with Skol. I’m glad the new rule will allow Webb to get into the game and get some action, and perhap get some big plays. But I especially agree with Skol in that Joe Webb may very well be our future QB and a very good one at that. I feel more strongly about Webb being our future QB than I do Ponder. Think about it. A few seasons ago the Vikings were looking to Jackson to be our future QB. Joe Webb has much more to offer than Jackson, and yes the few starts that he had last year he made some rookie mistakes, but he did much better than Jackson in his first few starts and you could see a glimps of the talent that he has and no doubt he would get better and better if given the chance to play. Don’t count out Webb, even this year.

21. By Joe C on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb would be a better corner than every corner on the vikings right now – Joe Webb should play corner and then run a wildcat play every quarter IMO

22. By john on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

there’s no way ponder or mcnabb will beat out webb at qb, the guys 4.2 speed and hands are just a start….rice moven on will not matter joe webb is 100 times more talented the rice,with that said joe webb will start at qb or wide out…

23. By Arrow86 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

THis was really a good explanation by Mike W. on the new rules as they pertain to the 3rd string quarterback. I wasn’t aware of the old 3rd string rule. This actually helps utilize a Joe Webb more than the Vikings could in the past outside of playing the QB position. I’ve been critical of Mike in the past, but I think he’s doing a better job of explaining connections with free agents that the Vikes may bring to camp.

Could the Vikes please go after Mankins and LIght from the Patriots? Brady is Brady because he doesn’t spend a lot of time on his butt.

Cullen Jenkins has signed with Philadelphia. But it sounds like Samuel is on the block to the right team.

24. By Frederick Jones on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Ponder,

I enjoyed your comment about Favre’s Vicodin. Even Favre would have laughed at that one.

25. By Frederick Jones on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I never thought we would get Don McNabb. He could be entering the best years of his career at 35. The question marks have been talked about. Remember nobody does it alone in football, it is a team sport.

26. By Frederick Jones on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb, unreal potential. Let’s hope we don’t have all the injuries that we had last year. I have followed the team for many years, and have never known a worse year for injuries than 2010.

27. By Digger on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

to all who think nate is an idiot, i agree! go root for the lions! i like webb as much as anyone, and want him to be used in some capcity, but not as my francise qb. get off his jock, he played in 2 games, and yes showed some flashes. you see it all the time, new qb comes in, plays great, fans want to blow him, you name it. who you better look out for is yes, Tjack and rice hookin up. Tjack gets a fresh start. new begining. just saying.

28. By Digger on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

we can all agree that Tjack was far from consistant here. But did he show flashes at times of being able to be the guy? ABSOLUTLY!

29. By martin on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

while i am not sold on mcnabb we have to give him a chance to see what he still can do. but last year we had so many problems that it will take more than mcnabb to solve them

defense…1) majority of the games the opposition qb had no pressure on them..
    2) the run defense was still good but did drop from previous years 3) the secondary gave up too many big plays..many times on 3rd and long

offense 1) the run blocking was poor…we were stopped many times on 3rd and 4th and short..our running backs had to get too many yards on their own
    2) most games we had one wide receiver who had the ability to get open…generally the other teams had an easy time defending our wr…

many fans still are equating this team from 2 years ago and forget the many horrible games this team played last year…

a lot of our veterans have to have rebound years and the younger players have to step up…hope i am wrong but right now it looks like 9-7 to 10-6 season at best and 8-8 7-9 at worst

30. By Roger on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Vikings must keep Joe Webb involved as he has the ability and excitement to be able to make things happen just as Harvin can (when he doesn’t have a headacke or even when he does).

31. By Arrow86 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

ROGER THAT! ROGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. By The Truth on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

We saw how horrible the offense is without a big name WR to draw the attention. Camarillo? NO. Percy will get all the attention, because the best D against b-twice is leave him open and let the ball hit the ground. And I highly doubt Devon Aromashadu is going to be worth spit in a bucket. Another Speilman signing, no name guy with little talent.

I just wish for ONCE spielman would say ok, lets go get a big name guy. Lets go get T.O or Randy Moss back, or lets trade for OchoCinco for peanuts…oh wait TOO LATE. Trade for Vinny Jack!

Vikings 8-8 this year, I give them 2 wins based on signing Mcnabb, it sucks to see we wont be making the playoffs if we stay as constructed like this.

33. By Vking1 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Jenkins thats the best WR we coukd come up with, wow would have much rather had M.Floyd or J.Jones,,,,,, oh well

34. By gorvike on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

not one of you posers sound like you know what you are writing about. good for a pity chuckle tho. go back to osh gosh idiots.

35. By animal26 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Well, lets hope the signing of Jenkins means the end of Berrian. Jenkins will make a good number 2 receiver, then they can hopefully sign Floyd. That would sure up the Receiving core. After that, try and sign a good Left tackle and send McKinney backing.

36. By animal26 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

packing*

37. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the info on Jenkins animal26. He looks like a solid addition, and should be a good choice to replace Berrian. He has the size and speed (6’5″, 4.4sec40) to be that #1 WR. He ends up being taller and faster than Berrian, who measured in at 6’1″ with a 4.57sec40 back when he had his rookie pro day.

NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM also says that Berrian is a slightly better jumper, but when height is factored into the equation, this difference is all but nulled. Jenkins was also considered a substantially better prospect in the draft, as he went late in the first round, while Berrian was selected in the middle of the third round – both out of the 2004 draft.

Jenkins hasn’t had a year under 500 yards since his rookie year, but hasn’t had any stand-out spectacular years either. Berrian has had 3-years with numbers close to 250 yards, (one in his 2010 campaign) but has also shown the ability to find the end zone a little more frequently.

I’m pretty excited about this addition, as it appears to have the workings of a significant improvement over what Berrian can provide, (especially over what his last year or two indicates that he can provide) and will probably be a bit cheaper.

38. By vikingsfan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb is going to be great for us in situational plays, but thats about it. There has been talks about him moving to WR, because of his amazing athletic ability, but I’m not sold on him being a starting QB he shown that he dosen’t have accuracy or the right footwork for it. He is pretty much Jackson but with more atheltic ability. But Mcnabb will be great, he has done more with less WR’s. He is one of the most underated QB’s. We should go after Braylon Edwards to help Percy out he is a good mid to deep threat.

39. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, I made a small mistake – Jenkins had 2-years under 500 yards, with his second missing the mark in 2006 by 64 yards.

So we shouldn’t expect him to be a superstar, but he has the physical talents to make defenses respect him enough to open up the game for our superstar running back and the other weapons on offense. With him thrown into the equation, I foresee a pretty balanced combination of statistics for all the WRs and TEs.

40. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

WIth all the players we have on offense now, I’m really starting to wonder who’s going to make the final cuts. It seems pretty obvious that even though Berrian received a playbook, he’ll be the first to go, but who do you cut after that? One or two TEs need to leave just to open up roster space. Greg Camarillo is probably gone, since his only admirable asset is his hands, and he’d free up almost $2M more in cap space.

This brings us down to a WR list of Jenkins, Harvin, Aromashodu, Arceneaux, Johnson and Burton. So unless I’m forgetting to account for some other free agents, since 5 WRs is usually adequate for a roster, I guess MY last move would be to move Stephen Burton (Rookie, 7th Round) to the practice squad. Thoughts?

41. By Gary of ClovisNM on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder will be a bust. Tell me if FSU has produced a QB that stands out in the NFL. Webb should be the man and I think McNabb will be a good mentor.

Something to think about: Re-sign Baskett and Lewis. That way McNabb will have two familiar faces to throw to.

42. By Mike Wobschall on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Parody – I think Berrian will be around. If he was going to be cut, it would’ve happened already. Fans are bitter with him because he’s had two poor years, but he’s better than most people think and he’s going to have a good year this year in my opinion.

43. By Luke on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I think that the Vikes should trade Ponder and get a number 1 pick. With the addition of McNabb and already have Webb, Someone would give us a 1 for him.
    McNabb might be here for awhile and with Webb a very talented player he should be the backup guy.

44. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Where did this we signed Jenkings rumor come from? I havent seen it anywhere?

45. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike Wobschall – Then how do you make space for the two extra WRs on the team since free agency began? I can concede that Berrian might still have something left in the tank, but he’s being paid to produce as a #1 WR, and I think that it is unrealistic to believe this will happen. He’s only been on the cusp of #1 WR production for 2, maybe 3 years of his 7-year career.

Down to the plain and simple, unless he takes a significant salary cut, it just doesn’t make sense to retain him. There are now enough WRs on the team at a cheaper price who can produce as much or more than we can realistically expect out of Berrian, that it makes him expendable.

Comparing him to one of your favorite WRs proves this point even more. In 2010 Randy Moss played for 3-different teams, but still caught just as many pässes for 141 more yards, 6 more TDs. This was also the worst year of Moss’ career, while Berrian has twice performed even worse than he did in 2010, with 6-fewer years as a pro.

46. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – It looks like it just happened today. After reading what Animal26 had to say, I googled “Micheal Jenkins” in the news section and found several articles confirming it, including this one:

47. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

*EDIT* Moss caught 5 more TDs than Berrian this year, not 6.

48. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanx Parody … Im not that smart :)

but I like Jenkins better than James Jones ( is a ba’ll dropper ) and Malcom Floyd ( seems to get injured frequently ), there will be some serious competition at WR hopefully Arceneaux makes me forget Moss, and if he doesnt well guess what …. Moss is a free agent :)

49. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Parody I also agree with your Berrian logic … hes just never going to be better than a #3 , I predict one or two of our lesser knows takes Berrians job and will make less than $$ … err BB

50. By Chilly on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … Mike Wobschall is right your looking at it all wrong you see Berrian not being productive because he had similar numbers to Moss last year

How you should look at it is Berrian had almost as good of numbers as Randy Moss one of the greatest WRs in the history of the NFL and Berrians numbers were close

You see its not the stats you should look at its the company hes in … I would suggest Berrian has proven to be as great as Moss ever was

51. By Mike B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

If Webb was a starting NFL QB we wouldn’t have given up the pick we did for Ponder. No matter what your feelings are on Joe Webb, the coaching staff and personel are not in step with that feeling. I have always thought that they got Webb for a wildcat option. The put him in as QB when they weren’t sure about Farve coming to the Vikings. TJack never came up to the expectations that the staff wanted, so Webb stepped into the number 2 position last year. I hate to be objective, but it is what it is. I do think we need a vet WR from the FA, but I would stay away from Moss and TO like a plague. Now that is my personal feeling on those two. I just see the WR position as a point of need.

52. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

WOW Chilly – that is the weakest argument I have seen in a LONG time! I was using Moss because Wobschall has made it more than clear that he won’t even consider #84 as a prospect for MN.

Anyways, I can definitely see why you chose your username.

53. By Mike B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Nice Parody on that article about Jenkins. It looks like the team has found that Vet WR. I am wondering how much money is left in the cap to get the draftees taken care of and some of the other vikings vets that are waiting on the word to be be resigned.

54. By Chilly on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

“We have a system that we are attacking the defensive scheme with. I think you would shortchange yourself if you weren’t attacking that scheme. We’re fully cognizant with what he can and cannot do. I don’t know if there’s much he can’t do.”

Brad Childress

55. By Mike B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

lol Parody you trying to get a rise out of Mike W. There is absolutlely no buzz from the Vikings Org about Moss. Only buzz about Moss is from fans. Maybe you all should get a HireMoss nick and post every 5 min. lol I personaly think he’s a sphincter and is in love with his own hype.

56. By Thomas on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Not sure how to take this. McNabb will be a good addition but my hopes were on Joe Webb. He will ge the starting job after old guy and pretty boy to break. Watching Joe play is exciting. Reminds me of a Randle Cunningham when he was with Philly but better. Very smart and athletic. If Leslie is worth his salt, he will recognize this. Been a fan since 5 and have a tatoo to prove my loyalty. HOOOAAAA!!!

57. By Chilly on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

“I think we’re just playing the ultimate team game and so everybody has to be on board. Specifically, the quarterback has to be on board because that’s kind of the straw that stirs the drink, if you will. You have to feel that, it has to be ringing through. I didn’t quite get it.”

Brad Childress

58. By DuaneN on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Does nobody remember all the hamstring injuries for Berrian?

Glad they changed the rule, it’s too bad coaches hate trick plays.

59. By Chilly on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

“They’ve got that backed-against-the-wall mentality. You can get about anything from them. You could get a bring-the-house-type of operation, or anything.”

Brad Childerss

60. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

C’mon Parody That was some good sarcasm using Chilly logic :)

Its all conjecture going backwards now. Berrian will end up being a non programmic fit.

61. By Kurtis on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Gary LMAO! Who cares how many QB’s have succeeded from FSU!? That’s a completely irrelevant fact. You can’t just bulk one position from a certain school together and assume they’ll have similar careers. How many QBs had Tennessee produced before Peyton Manning?

62. By celticvikingwarrior on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody; Yes you (and everyone else) are forgetting about a couple of RFA’s 1) Andre Holmes 6′-5″-205-104 rec. & 1,385 yds. last season at Hillsdale. 2) Dominic Johnson 6′-4″-225 stats ? Cal-Poly (ULTRA small school in So. Cali) High character guy who is a VERY hard worker and overcame ALOT. They both came from ultra small schools, so it MAY take alittle time, but talent is talent, and these guy’s HAVE IT !!!!! Speaking of stupid rules, does anyone know if they did away with the rule that allows team’s to STEAL player’s off “practice squad’s” without compensasion ? Both of these guy’s MAY need a year, and I would REALLY HATE to lose them. As long as we are also discussing QB’s why has no one mentioned that Webb spent time being tutored by Farve this summer, that’s a VERY GOOD thing so PLEASE SPARE ME (US) THE ASSININE JOKES!!!! Re: Michael Jenkins, BAD p/u, we already have one in Arceneaux (I mean they are the same type player’s, clones actually, NOT that they are bad player’s) We NEED a # 1 receiver, NOT another #3 (or 2) Look at his #’s, that’s the best they could do with Roddy White playing opposite and Flynn sling’n it, nut to mention their running game AND Musgrave. MAYBE HE know’s that Jenkins has alot more to give, after all they didn’t waste any time signing him…. Mark it, watch our for Andre HOLMES and Dominic Johnson,you heard it here first. Anyone going to camp I would appreciate updates on them. Thanks

63. By Thomas on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

WTF?? Who is quoting Childress? Isn’t he gone? Come on! Try this:
    “It matters not how strait the gae,
    How charged the punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captian of my soul”

64. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

and that same logic is why people think James Jones is good

BA’LL DROPER !!!

65. By Thomas on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Meant “Gate” not “gae”. Too many Stouts.

66. By Chilly on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

“He’s like a piece of gristle. He’s got a great squirt in the hole. Playing behind 6-7 guys, he’s hard to find back there.”

Brad Childress

67. By Thomas on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Wow. And I thought I was drunk. Good night. Go Joe!! You all will see.

68. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

69. By Mike B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

lol that’s a good one too Shawn

70. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B – Yes, that’s all I was trying to do was get a rise out of Mike W. He completely refuses to give Moss any credit, but praises Berrian as if he is a consistent 800+ yard receiver. I was simply using something that I know he hates as an argument to redress his opinion on Berrian.

Now that I’ve seen we hired Jenkins, I’m comfortable with the receivers we have, and if you had read everything I wrote recently, you’d see that I’m comfortable trimming down the personnel on board as well.

71. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Celticvikingwarrior – I can’t forget something that I never knew.

72. By Mike B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Parody It is possible that he doesn’t choose to get behind the hype over Moss or that the Vikings Organization has no interest in a Moss comeback. I definately see your point if it’s just a personal slight. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and knows where the organization is looking and avoiding.

73. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B – I used to give Wobby the same benefit of the doubt. But he has many times told us that he has no connection to the inner workings of the team, so he often knows little more than any of us, outside of the fact that he gets the chance to interview players and coaches once in a while.

74. By Lance The Red on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I personally think we have finished signing WR’s. Webb will be a receiver this year. He has so much talent he reminds me of moss. Before I get tackled on that comment he might not be as fast but he is sure handed and can avoid tackles very well. He can stretch the field and will cause the defence to pay a lot of attention to him he is also tall enough to out reach for the ball. The thing that I regard him as being a randy moss is that he has the ability to throw the ball like moss does. So he can be used in the same type of plays. Just sayin….

Plus we do have manny now as a wide out and he signed a 3 year contract with us in jan for a reason. He is good and we need to give him that chance. 8 other teams in the nfl had eyed him up knowing his contract was done in the CFL. He catches well and isnt scared to finish the play and gets lots of yards. Hard to say if he is a Rice but he is close enough in my opinion to give a chance to.

75. By D-Mac on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I dont understand why we didn’t address our secondary at all…

76. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

We did address the secondary. We cut Williams and drafted 2 defensive backs.

77. By mikebrown on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

what about that kid Rhett Bomar??? also I do think that Webb is being under utilized, but I also believe that Leslie is a little smarter than that knuckle head childress and if at all he wants to succed as a HC in the NFL he will make the right moves when the time is right, realistically he also knows that he gets 2 years to prove himself, but having him on board is an advantage because if you look at our past records with assistant coaches (tomlin, billick, dungy….etc) they all have one thing in common, they coached here, they wanted a promotion, ownership was too dumb to give it to them, they went elsewhere, they won it all…..so ultimately it omes down to not only having a few good players on your team but it also counts to have good coaches who know how to use ALL (not some) the players (google bill belichick). putting ressure on star players to make plays all the time is bad for a team a perfect example of all this can come from basketball (look under garnett traded to celtics) it eventually leads to ballon heads and people acting out because they think they are important and the ONLY thing that keeps the team winning (look under Randy Moss, I have met the guy he is a total A$$H*le in person) it pains me to say this cause I am a die hard viking but look at the cheese heads next door, who do they have on their team thats a star, hardly anybody, but they have stats that are above average because they are a team and play like one (rodgers is an average QB, just like Jim McMahon but as a team they are solid just like Jim McMahon’s team, and for those who dont know who Jim McMahon is off the top of their heads dont know what TEAM sports are supposed to be) and now for the angry replies………….

78. By PBizzle on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Im not sold that the secondary is as bad as everyone says. With the injuries last year its hard to tell if it was completely their fault. It is good to see Williams go. The same goes for the O-Line except I think drafting M.Pouncey at C to replace undersized Sullivan would have been better than picking up a QB that nobody expects great things out of. As for wide outs I hope the Vikes know something about S.Rice’s hip that I don’t because he was a receiver you could trust to go after and get the ball in traffic.

79. By joseph on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

man they need to sign braylon edwards or randy moss or get both and get a safety out of free agency cuz those eagles r bout to smash this year.

80. By celticvikingwarrior on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@ “Parody” Excuse me, you are right…”FORGETTING TO ACCOUNT FOR….” My sincere apologies.
    No one hates the way “our” OL played last year more than I do. However we have what we have. I do not believe the weakist link, Herrerra is now, or will be anytime soon be healthy enough to practice, let alone start so with DeGeare and Love, maybe a RFA or another p/u (trade) a new attitude and MOST IMPORTANTLY A NEW OL COACH who looks and sounds like a no B.S. allowed kinda guy, we MAY be O.K. One can HOPE, after all that’s what a new season is all about !!!!
    As for a “safety” we have 15 DB’s in camp, go get Cromartie (the one Jet’s let go) and find a free safety fron the 15. Start Jamarca Sanford at strong safety. Cedric Griffen won’t be ready for awhile either, the same with Chris Cook, thus the need for Cromartie. FREE safety is FAR AND AWAY THE EASIEST POSITION IN FOOTBALL TO PLAY and Abdullah is TERRIBLE,CAN’T CATCH, TACKLE OR TAKE A PROPER ANGLE TO THE BALL (CARRIER) He is an INCREDIBELY WEAK LINK !!!!!!

81. By Don on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

man big name safety or we have no chance on d..4 man rush will not do it anymore..we need blitz’s..

82. By Rocksalt on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see what Joe Webb might do as WR……….

83. By TW VIKE on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Don-You are right, we need secondary help. Have we even tried to sign any? Who are we going to throw the ball to, besides Percy? Better start Webb because our QB will be running for his life!!!!

84. By Arrow86 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

MikeBrown: Awesome analogy. I only disagree that Rodgers isn’t great. I think he’s something pretty special. But overall, they played the best as a team. When we look within the division, the Bears really improved with Marinelli as D-coordinator, Martz as O-coordinator, and Tice as O-line coach. But the Bears due to their age are very prone to injuries, I see them dropping off slightly this season, plus they are signing older, expensive free agents. Detroit really is moving in the right direction in a hurry. They got rid of the so-called studs Millen broke the bank for, and now really hustle as a team. The Vikes understood Madiu was “Man of the year” but not what we needed. Pat gave us quality production, but his age and salary would hurt us to continue. Edwards, is hard to guage as a “team-player” as he likes to talk, but doesn’t necessarily bring it every play. Rice, delayed getting surgery, that hurt our team badly last season. Thanks, but no-thanks, enjoy the weather in Seattle.

I didn’t want Edwards due to his off-field problems, dumb things he’s done in Cleveland and N.Y. that hurt his team. Let’s hope the purple come together, compete like champions, and we put the best team on the field.

85. By Taimak Rush on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

THank you THank you JOe Webb lets go we need the wildcat……..Joe Webb baby lets go

86. By mikebrown on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I can understand why people are worried about our OL but I believe that we are now switching from zone blocking to man blocking which shoud improve our running game quite a bit because its very tough to ask a guy/guys (lodholt/mckinne) who weigh 340lbs plus and is 6’8” to be at a certain place at a certain time to block so that another guy (#28) who is about 6’2” 220 and runs 4.40 40yrd can pass through, its just not fair, what you should do is let the big boy just smash the DL to the ground (man blocking) and let the TEs and WRs do the zone blocking and then maybe see what you can come up with, because as tallented as peterson is……he is not patient, but with time he will learn. And by the way 2 thumbs up to #28 for not “holding out” that the team spirit

87. By Taimak Rush on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb JOe WEbb wildcat…… WRs also …..wildcat….Wrs oh we dont need a wideout then we got Joe

88. By 90 е годы on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.