McNabb A Pro At Limiting Mistakes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 30, 2011 – 6:03 am

In 12 NFL seasons, QB Donovan McNabb has accumulated a lot of TD passes (230), a lot of wins (97), a lot of playoff appearances (seven) and a lot of division championships (five).

But there’s one statistic he’s been able to avoid collecting in mass – interceptions.

In fact, McNabb ranks among the NFL’s all-time best at keeping a good TD/INT ratio. He enters the 2011 season with a 2/1 margin, which is good for fourth in NFL history among QBs who’ve thrown for a minimum of 200 TDs (Tom Brady, Steve Young, Peyton Manning rank 1-3).

McNabb’s INTs relative to TD passes is impressive, and so too is his INT total relative to pass attempts. He has the third best INT% in NFL history, having thrown just 115 picks in 5,218 attempts (2.2%), which is the same percentage as Brady.

Tags:

31 Responses to “McNabb A Pro At Limiting Mistakes”

1. By Bigfan1 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

No doubt he’s one of the best.

2. By Newsguy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

The more I think about it, McNabb is a smart pick….I just hope he still has a heart for the game. As we saw with Favre two years ago, sometimes it takes a bad experience (McNabb- Redskins) (Favre-Jets) to motivate an older statesman back to that competitive level they need to be. I hate to knock a guy that’s down already, but I’m so glad Chilly’s not there to “motivate” the troops

3. By Carl K on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

McNabb’s 2.2 int percentage is impressive. Peyton Manning is at 2.7, Brett Farve 3.3, Steve Young 2.6, Dan Marno 3.0, Joe Montana is 2.6.

I think Donovan is a good game manager and we need that. He makes good decision, yes, but he doesn’t make quick decisions. My only concern is the fact that he takes too many sacks. McNabb has been sacked 394 times. Tom Brady has been sacked 244, Payton Manning has been sacked 231, Dan Marino has been sacked 270, Joe Montana 313.

The question is can our oline protect him???

Mike Wobs- I already know McNabb is a solid QB with a few good years left in the tank. What I want to know is what makes him a good fit with our current oline. With the way teams have been playing us, we will continue to see a lot of 3rd and long situations. What does McNabb’s 3rd down numbers look like? Mike, you had a nice write up about Ponder’s 3rd down and red zone stats at FSU… and I got all excited about him. Smart, mobile and makes quick reads.

Do you feel confident our oline will give Mc5 the time he needs?

4. By garyson1 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Carl i totally agree with you on can the line protect him. Favre took way too much blame and punishment last year and that line abandoned him. The rest of free agency must go to O-line and DB or we will have the same results as last year.

5. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

LOL @ Newsguy. Well said!

@Carl K – I think that McNabb is a better fit for our O-line than Brett Favre was, or any other pocket passer would be. His mobility takes a little bit of pressure off the line, because he can dance around and avoid the sack. So even if the OLine doesn’t improve this year, it will look as if they had simply because Donovan will out running the guys that they can’t control.

6. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

In contrast, Brett Favre saw the sack coming and knew that since he didn’t have his walker out there, he had no chance of moving out of the way, so he’d just chuck the ball up for grabs and usually gave up an interception while adding one or two more reasons to up his vicodin levels at the same time.

7. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Okay, it took a few minutes, but I was able to find a replica of the video I tried to post on the other blog from Vikings.com:

8. By Mike Wobschall on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Carl K – GREAT question. I am heading down to training camp today, but once I can get settled in and I have time to do some research, I’ll let you know what I find out. Thanks

9. By josh on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

i’m extremely happy with the acquisition of mcnabb! now lets bring him in some deep threat recievers!!!! there’s so many on the market still…

10. By troy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

sign braylon edwards and another receiver. malcolm floyd, mike jenkins, T.O, moss, last resort.. james jones. then get the center the giants cut, i think his name is O’hara?

11. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

12. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Fred J … Who needs and OL when we have McNabb :)

13. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

hmm 2 McNabb highlight vieos and haven seen Basket or Lewis yet …. Lewis was our opening day #2 last year

14. By jv3rnon on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Finally got what I wanted. McNabb is here. Now get Malcom Floyd for him to throw to. Percy and Shiancoe is all we got. Berrian needs to step his game up. Also, lets grab Bigby from the Packers since they let half of there team go. Were just a few players from Division Champs. Still want that Super Bowl!!!!

15. By Shawn on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@Old School … It could be worse :)

16. By cweb2628 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody, you don’t do a very good job at parodying an intellegent person.

17. By Don on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

safety..o-line..olb..Blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..blitz..need i say more

18. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

By cweb2628 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody, you don’t do a very good job at parodying an intellegent person.

I know it hasn’t been that long since I was this young, but I could use a little help here. Does a comment like that require a response of “well I’m rubber and you’re glue,” or “I know you are but what am I?”

19. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

…or maybe it would have been more appropriate to say “well you’re no good at cweb2628-ing an intelligent person!” Seriously dude, do you see how juevenile you’re being?

20. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Wait, forget what I just said. I just re-read your comment and realize I have nothing to be offended by. I could care less if I’m being (or parodying) an intellegent person, because an even remotely intelligent person knows that intellegent is not a word.

21. By Joe C on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

we still have not addressed our secondary needs or the fact that like half the comments say we need o line help bad!!!! only one corner left crow we need to sign him now he played well for the Jets and could teach our secondary some rex ryan d – please please please

22. By Mark B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand the big push to go out and sign a WR – let’s take a look at a few of the young guys on the roster right now:

Emmanuel Arceneaux – 6’2″ 211lbs 4.4 40 yd dash
    Dominique Johnson – 6’3″ 230 lbs 4.54 40yd dash
    Andre Holmes – 6’4″ 210 lbs 4.43 40 yd dash

Any one of these guys could very well be the next Sidney Rice – I say give them a couple days of training camp before everyone panics and runs out to sign a WR who MIGHT do a better job just because everyone knows their name. The best thing about these guys? They are cheap! Leaves the cap room that Floyd/TO/Moss/Jenkins would command – freeing up money for OL (I’d like to see some of the young guys on the roster in this case as well – some decent prospects at the guard position) and secondary help, safety in particular. Abdullah is good, but we need someone opposite him (*cough* Sharper *cough*) and with Cook (trust me on this one) and Griffen coming back healthy (hopefully) we should be pretty good at CB. I have faith in this coaching staff and am extremely excited to see the new offense.
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!

23. By Joe C on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Mike I don’t want to sound negative but can you see another vet QB with limited skills get blind sided like Brett did last year – we need to fix the O line issues first. Getting # 5 was a no brainer but now we need to keep him healthy. The only way to do that is to protect him. I think Bryant and Phil showed us last year that they are not up for the task!!!! What do you think?

24. By Mark B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

IMO last season most of the issues with the secondary were due to a lack of a pass rush – I would love to see more blitzing like in the Eagles game. It was sooo much fun watching Winfield sprinting into the backfield! By the middle of the second quarter you could see Vick flinch. But back to my point – did you notice in that particular game (where there was good pressure on the QB) that the secondary played well? In the Vikings D (or any 2 deep safety defense for that matter) getting a good pass rush is just as important – if not more important – than having “lock down” corners and completely dominant players at the safety position.

25. By Arrow86 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Rebuild 2009! Hopefully Cedric will help us in the secondary. Could we pick up Marion Barber (ala Chester Taylor) Trade or release McKinnie bring in Mankins and LIght (Both have played at a high level, and are high character guys.) Possibly add a Samuel to the secondary. Either Webb, Moss, or light a fire under Berrian and let him where his clown shoes he wore in the Zona game last year. Oh, and don’t fumble 5 times in the NFC championship game! Thanks, Santa!

26. By Arrow86 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Mark B:

I think Robison will play at a high enough level to make us forget about Edwards. He’ll bring the rush we need when O-lines shift toward Jared. Pat Williams was a very good player, but I thought Guion outplayed him last year.

27. By Arrow86 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings will already have greater team focus and unity going into the season because they won’t have to answer questions as to when Favre is coming in, and they will have McNabb in all the pre-season practices, drills, and games. Chances are Donovan isn’t going Anthony Weiner on his cell phone either.

28. By Mark B on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Arrow:

Completely agree – was just pointing out that the need for a lot of secondary help could be cured by timely blitzing and better defensive line play instead of spending money like a drunken sailor on a shut down corner like the Eagles did. I actually like where the team is at right now – just missing a couple pieces. We could use depth at OL and maybe a good inside pass rusher … what is John Randall doing these days?

29. By DuaneN on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I liked telling Eagles fans that he was a choker and a puker. He was a great QB though. He would have been sacked 800 times if it wasn’t for that sidestep he always did.

30. By Titus on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m getting my flight for the Superbowl and my hotel.

31. By vikesfansteve on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

He limits mistakes but can he limit his food intake. Holy fat batman.