McNabb Acquisition The Best Of Both Worlds For Vikings

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 29, 2011 – 5:22 pm

The much-anticipated trade between the Vikings and Washington Redskins involving QB Donovan McNabb was finalized on Friday. Terms of the deal have not been disclosed, but the Vikings come away with a six-time Pro Bowler and a passer who is playoff tested (16 career playoff games) and eager to get back to the postseason.

This is the second time Vikings fans have welcomed a new QB to town this offseason; Christian Ponder was selected by the club in the first round (#12 overall) of last April’s NFL draft. In addition to McNabb and Ponder, Vikings fans are also anxious to see Joe Webb play, especially after he flashed some promise late in the 2010 season.

With a couple of young QBs already in the fold, some Vikings fans would prefer the team stick with the young guns in an attempt to develop a long-term plan. Yet others are enthusiastic about the prospects of landing McNabb because he gives the team a legitimate shot to reclaim division supremacy and make it back to the playoffs.

But I think both camps should feel satisfied. In the short-term, the Vikings are in it to win it. The roster has talented players in key spots – DE Jared Allen, WR Percy Harvin, RB Adrian Peterson, DT Kevin Williams and CB Antoine Winfield – and now another huge talent was added at perhaps the game’s most important position.

At the same time, can you think of another veteran QB who was readily available this offseason who would’ve been a better example for Ponder and Webb? There’s nothing wrong with a young QB sitting back for a bit and watching an experienced veteran work his craft. Assuming McNabb grabs a hold of the starting job, there will be no pressure on Ponder or Webb to step into the starting lineup on the road against San Diego in Week 1 and lead a talented roster full of Pro Bowlers back to the playoffs.

The acquisition of McNabb is a “best of both worlds” proposition for the Vikings. It gives them the experience and talent at the position to be a winner this year and it gives Ponder and Webb (and Rhett Bomar) a veteran influence in the meeting room, in the locker room and on the field.

What do you think of the move, Vikings fans?

Tags: , , ,

117 Responses to “McNabb Acquisition The Best Of Both Worlds For Vikings”

1. By Ekolu on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I like this acquisition. He is a good QB and it will give Ponder the chance to do what Aaron Rodgers did at Green Bay. I was hoping that the Vikes would put a concerted effort to put Joe Webb out on the field as a WR. He has big hands, runs a 4.4 40 yard dash and he has a 40″ plus vertical lift. He would need to learn how to run routes, and how to become an effective contributor to WR corps. Ge could also be the 3rd or 4th string QB.

2. By Bigfan1 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s a great acquisition, a pro-bowl qb to instantly lead the team and a mentor for Ponder. I hope Donovan has the best playing years of his career in MN.

3. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

You know with all of the talk Frazier had b4 and after the lockout about “We have a plan in place and we will be ready to go ”

THATS IT? THAT WAS THE PLAN ?

Dont get me wrong, I love the McNabb deal but seriously 5 days and we sign McNabb a solid NT and #4 WR?

Lose Sidney and talk about #3 WR James Jones and #3 WR Michael Jenkins?

THATS IT? WERE DONE?

Can we please have Randy Moss for the last ” Minnesota ” Viking season ever?

My last NFL season ever ….

4. By MGR4FUN on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

there is no refutin the body of work … truely hope he is able to shake off the washington experience … he was a gr8 eagle and a not so gr8 redskin … i dont want the former redskin mentorin cp7 or jw14 however the former eagle has alot to share with these young men that are the future of the game … that bein said ifin the player mcnabb i hav known him to be shows in the metrodome … that place will be off the hook

5. By Josh on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

The McNabb trade probaly wont be all that bad in the longrun. However, acquiring Ayodele was a horrible idea. He was the worst stastically rated defensive player on the Saints. His career tackles is less then 100 yet hes been in the NFL for 5 or 6 years

6. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

We need to make a lot of improvements on this team to compete in the NFC North … and remember how last season went without a #1 WR 13 points per game …. with a #1 WR Randy Moss 20 points per game

STOP THE CRA’PPY WR TALK JAMES JONES IS GARBAGE … WE NEED A #1 NOT MORE #3s

7. By Mike Wobschall on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Remember fans, free agency is not over yet. Lots of roster moves will be made all around the NFL over the weekend and even into next week. It’s early yet.

8. By Daniel on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

The McNabb Pickup was A huge strong lift for us. Before he went to wash, he put up more yrds that year than ALL of his years at phil! He is a great guy and a leader the team can get behind. good for yrds, good for players, and good for our orgaization. We are really lucky to have him and should feel blessed. The thing that I like about Mcnabb is he loves to find his TE. Well, we have Two killer ones and a lightning bolt in Harvin. Defences better get ready for our offence. I believe our new staff on Off and Def will keep the offence on the field and keep the Big D off the field. Love the move and love the rebuilding so far.

9. By Ben on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

From a Vikings fan miles away in New Zealand… I’M HAPPY!! looking fwd to mcnabb working magic with Peterson and harvin… And gives Webb another season of development. Bring it on!

10. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Childress is back too– what a great day! Watch the NFL network– it won’t be long and Chilly will be a commentator for the games on Sundays.

11. By Lucas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I am so sick of these frickin’ stupid front office goons in the Vikings organization. WHAT THE HEII HAPPENED TO HAVING OUR MATT RYAN?!?!?!?!?!?! They are PRETTY MUCH saying. “McNabb is our guy for the forseeable future.” Well thanks for making us the joke of the league once again.

12. By Lucas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

And do you guys NOT HAVE A BRAIN!??! You say he is “Playoff tested”. HE FAILED THE TESTS PEOPLE!!! 16 games and 0 SB!!!!!!! Good gosh. He got ‘em to the superbowl and choked HARD. 3ints but 2 other ints were called back on flags. No wonder we are considered the dumbest fan base in football.

13. By DelawareDanLee on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Well, I think it is a mistake to talk playoffs with McNabb. Personally, I would much rather have just given the reigns to Ponder. Look at the Jets, Ravens and the Falcons. All started rookie quaterbacks and all are solid playoff contenders every year. Sorry. Just don’t think McNabb will do much to help out the Vikings and he will slow up Ponder’s development with his entitlement attitude.

14. By Mike Wobschall on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Lucas, don’t you think Ponder can still develop into the long-term starter with McNabb in the fold? In fact, I think Ponder’s development is better with McNabb here than without McNabb. Now the pressure is off Ponder…he doesn’t have to step in and win right away. He can watch and learn from a six-time Pro Bowler. You can criticize McNabb all you want for losing a Super Bowl or for losing in NFC title games, but obviously he’s good enough to get teams to that stage, which is saying more than you can say for most NFL starting QBs in the league right now.

I understand that you want a long-term, young QB to develop here. But I think that can still happen with McNabb here and in fact I think it has a better chance of happening with McNabb here.

15. By vikings fan 1955 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

If the fans can’t see how mc Nabb makes us better u will as soon as the season starts. I think we have very good up and coming qb’s in webb and ponder but we need a championship now and neither of them give us that as of now especially the way the o-line played last yr. Webb can get away yes but still lacks the experience in tough and close games and mc Nabb has to be watched because he can throw in the pocket and move out and throw and he still has the leg’s to run. Don’t send the young guys to the wolves teach them how to hunt on the field then let themm loose. Mc Nabb is the best choice of qb’s available and we have him and I think so far they have done better than in the past in building a team and we won’t have the conseritive play calling that we had under childress.

16. By Daniel on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

How many players we have now will be here when Ponder is ready? Hutch will be gone, Mckinnie will be gone, Shank will probably move on. E.J. Winfield, Williams, Allen. Might as well give Ponder some time like Rodgers got and make a run at a superbowl with our Guys we have now. Can we win now? We need a stud saftey, a great LB, a WR that can run the sideline, and GREAT guard in Dahl, and I think we have a chance to make a run.

17. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

People complaining about McNabb would complain no matter what the Vikings did, short of maybe bringing in Tom Brady. The average person has a herd mentality and is so down on life that nothing but whining emits from their mouths.

Oh, it is so hot, these Julys are gruesome. Come January, oh it is so cold, I am going to move— same people saying the same thing. Oh, and then they spend airfare in January to travel to the heat that they complained about in July.

18. By Nick on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I like the fact we got McNabb for possibly two 6th round picks. Personally I feel that we have a solid quarterback situation now with McNabb and Ponder as the understudy. For the first time in years we have a future plan for that position. Looking at in on paper we do not have the Packers depth of wide receivers but we do have solid players across the board. Losing Sidney was huge but I for one think keeping AP and Harvin long term should be priorities over Rice. Everyone knows how valuable wide receivers are and with Berrian’s cap hit if management did not feel he could put last year behind him why haven’t they cut him yet? Signing a Braylon Edwards would be a mistake go for a Malcolm Floyd whose a big body and more cost efficient. Adding on to that who did McNabb have in ’04 when they lost to the Pats in the Super Bowl? Westbrook? TO? and that was it. My faith is in Leslie and Rick to turn over this veteran laden roster in a fashion that doesn’t allow us to take 3 steps back as a contending franchise.

Pat Williams is up there in age and each season he is becoming more and more of a liability. My concern is how will our secondary improve. That should be everyone’s concern because with Stafford, Cutler, Rodgers in our division we need more help in coverage. We have done a solid job drafting and evaluating talent over the last few years. I’m sure hoping we add Odom from Cincy to beef up our Defensive line, possibly a safety and with Cedric’s injury history another solid corner.

Keep us posted Mike!

19. By Cor-WIN VIKES ! on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok, look at it this way, this is his last chance to win a super bowl PERIOD !!!!
    maybe as the vikings have always come close, and McNabb did with the eagles, this could be when he and the vikings finally go over the edge and win it all. He needs a big time deep threat, 2 awesome TE, one each side, harvin in the slot, AP, and the defense has to STEP IT UP BIG TIME ! He better come i here with a big time chip on his shoulder and take care of business, if not, last 2 years old 4, next 1 old 5, pick an old 6 1 year then finally, two years later young 7 ? 10-6 is the least acceptable record this year !

20. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I only have one thing to say…

21. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

22. By carl on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I M A MCNABB FAN IT S GOOD FOR HIM I JUST HOPE HE GET A CHANCE TO DO WHAT HE CAME TO DO WE LL SEE WONT WE IF IT WAS GOOD OR BAD MOVE BY EITHER MCNABB OR THE VIKES FRONT OFFICE BUT FOR NOW LETS GO VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES

23. By Cor-WIN VIKES ! on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

McNabb say’s you bring a 12 year vet in to start and WIN NOW !!!! now is 2011, not a close year a WIN NOW !!!! We better be seeing you holding the trophy in Indianapolis or your words are just that, oh by the way, talk is so very cheap !!!!

24. By SSG Franklin on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

We should of just kept Farve…. he could of made 5th comeback, and maybe took us back to the nfc title game. I hope we can pick up moss, and maybe floyd, that would be a better recieving corps for Mcnabb. Front office get those 2 wide outs.. Hooah!

25. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Of is not a verb.

26. By Rick Hubley on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok guys Iv’e been a vikings fan all my life, ok sence 1974 , iv’e seen it all and all i want is a SUPER BOWL. We have to take what we get and hope for the best, you or I are not the coach or better yet the players we are the fans so route for the VIKINGS.

27. By hippster on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

looks like a set up to me,bring in an over rated qb like mcnabb hyped up by an overly politicaly correct media sets up our beloved VIKINGS for their demise ,distruction,dismantaling,and innevidable departure from minn .41 yrs of bleeding purple what a waste .I hope im wrong but this looks bad

28. By Rick Hubley on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

GO VIKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

29. By likejoeybrowner on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike singletary will influence the entire defense……..watch how vicious the viking d plays this year

30. By likejoeybrowner on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

singletary brings the play maker out of you…its contagious

31. By Tim on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey shawn have a little faith the vikings aint going know where they will always be the Minnesota Vikings.

32. By Rick Hubley on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

WE CAME FROM THE NORTH LAND SO MANY YEARS AGO, WE LIVE FOR TRUTH AND JUSTICE IN THE LAND OF ICE AND SNOW FOR WHAT IS RIGHT WE WILL ALWAYS FIGHT THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS WE WILL FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT WE CAME TO SEDEL DOWN IN THE PLACE CALLED METRO DOME IN THE AIR ON THE GROUND WE’LL DEFEND OUR VIKING HOME NO MATTER WHERE WE’VE BEEN WE’LL FIGHT THROUGH THICK OR THIN WERE THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS WE WILL FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT M I N N E S O T A VIKS

33. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

WELCOME DONOVAN MCNABB TO MINNESOTA!!!

34. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

TRUE FANS WILL MAKE DONOVAN FEEL AT HOME!!!

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!!! The NFC north may be the most competitive division in the league now– and iron sharpens iron– if we win our division, we will win it all baby!!!

35. By Mike B on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Yes Welcome McNabb to Minneasota. Now lets find a top notch WR to throw too. Hopefully a character guy. Take care

36. By Cesar on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I like it he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove people wrong i think he will do good hes gonna prove a lot of people he still has what he had in philly

37. By Titus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I bet we go 12-4.

38. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

SHould I mark those words Titus? ;)

39. By Nicholas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is amazing. He has great character, great ability, and is super competitive.
    I think that our decisions thus far have been good…regardless of what people have to say about the WR and DT that we have acquired. I’m sure the WR is just for depth, and the DT could just be a stop-gap until we are able to find a good replacement for Pat.
    I do hope that we get someone like Malcolm Floyd or Randy Moss for a deep threat…but that is assuming that we don’t already have a potential Deep threat on our team. Do we????
    Beef up the Safety and Offensive line positions…and I think we can be truly competitive : )

40. By Ted Brown 23 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Welcome to Minnesota Donovan. Now let’s get to work brotherman!!!

41. By Carl K on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Santana Moss has the 5th fastest 40 time in NFL combine history. 4.31
    He had his best year ever with Donovan McNabb last year catching over 90 receptions.

I wouldn’t mind seeing S. Moss in purple.

42. By CA Norwegian on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

He is a decent guy… They had high hopes for him gong into WA too. I hope everything works out with the receivers, and blocking. Good Luck D-van.

43. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

OK, I am good with Mc5 coming in! Now we need to go get Michael Huff, Malcolm Floyd, and Sensabaugh on the team.
    By the way I applaud the release of over paid Mama Williams!!

44. By Daniel on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Thats a great point Carl. I never even thought of that but I like that thought. That could be a great weapon.

45. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Nicholas – If Berrian remains on the team, he can still be the deep threat. That was his main role in his first season, and he did it respectably with 964 yards and 7-TDs. His second year here, he actually caught more bálls, but for 350 fewer yards and only 4 scores. Then he pretty much fell off the map with 252 yards and no scores. So the question with him is whether he is on the downswing of his career, or has the ability to turn things around.

If Berrian isn’t the man, there’s still promise in Arceneaux being a deep threat, knowing that Percy and the TEs will be primary targets, but that McNabb still has a threat downfield to keep defenses from over-stacking the line too much.

46. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Titus lol good stuff … i am concerned with the WR situation, I think and hope Arceneaux will be as good as I think and hope he will be , but I also used to think and hope Id play in the NFL HAHAHAHA

Better to be safe than Chilly !!! We need a #1 WR desperately … and true #1s are not easy to get

We went into last season without a true #1 and it didnt go well

47. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Could 2011 Minnesota Vikings season be the farewell tour?

48. By Nicholas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Parody Yes, I appreciate your enthusiasm for B-Squared…I really hope he can turn things around if he does stay on the team.

Of course, I’m also one of the people advocating his departure for cap space : )

Either way, I think we are definitely in a good postion…definitely headed in a better direction than in 2010.

49. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Titus if we get Moss or Edwards I agree 12-4 and strong possibility of a super bowl …. but if we try to patch together a WR core like last year McNabb will lead us to 9-7 maybe 10-6 wild card early exit playoff loss and everyone will blame McNabb … We need a #1 WR

50. By Cortes on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Welp ill take McNabb over our wasted 1st round pick anyday!!! Now we need 2 go afta a veteran lineman or peterson & mcnabb will B runnin 4 their lifes. O & 4 da luv of God get a safety!!

51. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Nicholas – It’s not enthusiasm nearly so much as it is optimism. I want him gone too, but until that happens I’ll be rooting for him to succeed.

52. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

We have 3 other receivers who can compete with Berrian for the speedster role, (Arceneaux, J.Johnson, and Aromashodu) and competition always makes for better results in the final decision. If we don’t get any other WRs in free agency, I’d hope that one of the three guys beats out Berrian for the job and we send him packing to save cap space.

53. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

A true #1 WR will keep defenses from stacking 9 in the box to stop AP and help everyone perform better … there are 4 true #1s available still

1- TO – at 37 coming off a major knee injury can he still be a #1 … I have doubts

2-Braylon Edwards – nothing good or bad to say other than he has issues just like my favorite

3-Plaxico – hasnt played for 2 years, can he still be a #1? Risky

4- :) MOSS :) – my favorite – 33 and loves to prove peolple wrong

All the other names are not #1s dont try to fool yourselves … we dont need them

It come down to 2

54. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

To get a guy like Moss in here, we definitely need to make some big cuts for salary space. Berrian is the most obvious choice, and it will easily make Camarillo expendable too. I think that Kleinsasser would need to go as well. That would free up about $8.6M, but would that be enough especially when we still need to make sure we have enough for the guys already signed and the rookies?

I’m not sure how much we can get back by restructuring Greenway’s and Peterson’s contracts, but those moves are worth considering as well.

55. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Could we free up more space if we restructure Shiancoe? He’s in the final year of his contract, so that might also be worth consideration, and it will ensure a strong 2-TE set for whoever the QB will be in future years.

56. By Shawn on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Im starting to feel like a broken record again …I am glad McNabb is a Viking , I am pretty sure he will get us to the playoffs as the team sits right now and provide exellent leadership and tutelage.

GREAT MOVE FRAZIER AND SPIELMAN!!!

Who knows maybe everything will work out and we get a stadium and Fitzgerald next offseason …

57. By Daniel on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb and Moss. Would that work is the question. I like Moss, and would love for the guy to come here and just blow it up, BUT! What kind of Moss will come here? What kind of effect on Mcnabb will that bring? Two great vets. Two last chapter ending in the making. Would Moss and Mcnabb get it right? I have a feeling The possitive outweighs the neg. Moss is no T.O. and both have something to prove yet before hanging up the cleets from two awsome careers. might as well go out in style. It would rub away the loss of our 3rd pick away from memory and could bring back the enthusiasm we ALL had when our Great Randy was back in town. Sign him Vikes. He would fill a need and push the safteys back.

58. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

OF is not a verb.

That was funny, and I’m still laughing!!!

59. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Ben

Thanks for your comments about JOE Webb.

JOE can be the man. If people keep ignoring him, it might just motivate him
    even more!

60. By Sunny on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

yea have no faith in Webb? In regards to McNab, I will believe it when I see it.

61. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall,

It’s nice to hear your comments.

Wake me when we pick up a Pro Bowl type offensive lineman !

62. By Arrow86 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Titus: The people who complain about the Vikings no matter what would still complain about Tom Brady, until they see Giselle Bunchen! GRrrrrrrr YEAH BABY!!!

63. By Parody on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Fred – you forget so quickly that we already have TWO Pro Bowl offensive linemen…

64. By Arrow86 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is a class act. If our line is anywhere near as poor as it was last year, you don’t want to throw a rookie into that mess. McNabb will lead by example. I like Favre and am grateful for what he gave us. However, it would have been nice to have him (Favre) at O.T.A.’s and training camp. Donovan will be there!!!

65. By Arrow86 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Hutch is a Pro-bowl lineman, McKinnie was put on the Pro-bowl team in 2009 for God-knows what reason, oh, and he was sent home. We could really use upgrades in that line. Is Marion Barber available still to fill the Chester Taylor role??

66. By Nicholas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody Yeah I guess I didn’t mean enthusiasm… what I mean is your positive outlook on the situation : )

The front office definitely has their work cut out for them right now.

67. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Parody,

You have a point there, except do you really want ALL former Pro Bowlers in your lineup?

68. By animal26 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

how can people still doubt Joe Webb? He’s Athletic, has a strong arm, a huge amount of potential as a QB, has tons of confidence in his ability, with fire in his eyes to be great, and an incredible work ethic. He has the makings to be a Great QB one day, if given the chance. I find it funny, how the majority of people keep disregarding him as the Vikings QB of the future.

69. By Arrow86 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

After the 2009 season, I for one didn’t see the collapse of 2010 coming. Our O-line, secondary, and special teams were dysfunctional and never got it going. I do hope the Vikings take on a more physical punnishing role on both sides of the ball. Perhaps Singletary’s approaches on defense, and using Gerhardt more on offense and using the tremendous gerth of our O-line to move the ball down hill.

70. By Nicholas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@ animal26 I just view having Joe Webb as even more insurance @ the QB position. I think our QB situation is 110% better than it has been in a LONG time. If Ponder is a bust (which I don’t think that he will be), Webb will also be learning from McNabb in the meantime : ) Yay for our QB depth.

71. By Arrow86 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

animal26: Webb may be the best athlete on the Vikes, if not Antoine Winfield when we go pound for pound. I think he can be a great quarterback, but he could also become a Pro-bowl receiver if used in that capacity. I just don’t want to see him holding a clipboard when the offense is on the field. He can make some plays!

72. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

M. Tinglehoff (can’t say his first name on Vikings.com?) said that if
    ONE GUY misses his block the play will fail.

Offensive lines are judged as a group.

73. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

That was it, you can’t say M I C K ! ! !

74. By Frederick Jones on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

C. Ponder, what’s next J.Webb?

75. By Nicholas on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

hmmm, apparently we are in a bidding war with St. Louis for Braylon Edwards…according to the Free Agency Tracker.

76. By Mike B on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

LOL @ Fred still a few days left to see if the Vkings are going to draft that Vet O Linesman. I think they are going to roll it with what they already have. Maybe pick up a Vet RG. I would think if they were looking at that they would have already gotten a Vet Lineman. I see your still backing Webb too, I will make a not to not going gambling with you or at least not pick with you. Your track record so far as been pretty low. TJack 0 JWebb 0 Childress 0 OL 0 so far.

77. By Arrow86 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Is Light still available from the Patriots? He could help us. I’m not thrilled about Braylon Edwards. I did like watching the “Intense” negotiation between Kluwe and McNabb for the #5.

78. By BIG DUKE 6 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

here we go again. the guy is used up. he got ran out of philly because a convicted felon that had not played for 2 + years was better then he was. remember what randle C did to us? took us all that way and then threw the interception to end it all for us. this is a repete offender. should have just went young with who we have.

79. By Taimak Rush on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I read in a sports article on the net a couple hours ago and Coach Frazier said ” We arent focusing on getting A WR in free agency, and that would put more pressure on McNabb. I know he still has a lot of years left in that body”…..

Coach Frazier know we need a WR in free agency, can we please get BRAYLON EDWARDS or RANDY MOSS( Childress fault he left)… or Malcom FLoyd a tall wide that has speed and that can get the ball…. NO Jenkins or James Jones please stop we dont need James over to put a jinx on us

RANDY MOSS BRAYLON EDWARDS or Malcom Floyd…..i forgot MATT JONES ….Matt Jones please MATTT Jones

80. By Taimak Rush on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

BRAYLON EDWARDS ……………..BRAYLON EDWARDS>>>>>>>..

RANDY MOSS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RANDY MOSS>>>>>>>>>>

MALCOM FLOYD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MALCOM FLOYD>>>>>>>>>>

MATT JONES>>>>>>>>>>>>>MATT JONES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JOE WEBB>>>>>>>>>he is 6’4 think about it……….JOE WEBB……….>>>>>>>> JOE WEBB JOE WEBB

81. By Steve on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

This whole off season has been a tremendous disappointment. The Vikings need a shutdown corner. They need better offensive linemen. They needed to hold on to Sidney Rice and Ray Edwards. Even in the free agents they seem to have little intelligence or imagination. They could have gotten (for nothing) guys like Mario Fannin, out of Auburn, who is 6-2, 230 and runs a 4.4 forty and led his team in recieving and blocking. What a compliment to Peterson he would have been. McNab is a loser. He is over the hill. Sorry pickup. We get a broken down nose tackle to replace our other worn out nose tackle. Where is the superstar receiver? Oh yeah, we let him get away. This whole off season has been pathetic. I’m becoming a Falcons fan. At least they care about their team.

82. By Lance The Red on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Steve, If thats how you feel and you can just switch fav teams that easy then seeya. Who you going to route for when the falcons start to tumble oneday? every team has their moments and every team will have there down periods as well.

True fans are there win or loose.

83. By Swedish Viking on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

McNabb only needs one target…… RANDY MOSS !!!!

84. By Taimak Rush on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

McNabb needs weapons like a RANDY MOSS,…..BRAYLON EDWARDS…..MALCOM FLoyd……Matt JOnes….. guys that have speed and can go get the ball Moss belongs here its Brad’s fault he left….

Moss is the dynamic WR in the game he can out run anybody on this earth and he breaks down the whole defense….. Vikings please come at Moss with the right approach….so what he had a outburst about bad food i mean come on we are men we like to eat…. you when food isn’t good….so what but he handles business on the feild…. Come get Braylon Moss or Floyd or Matt Jones

85. By Rick on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

On board with 5! Bring back 84 and let them tear it up! Bring on the NFC North!

86. By Kyle on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I agree. Minnesota needs to go after a speedy wr, fs and a rg. McNabb has been rumored to be coming to mn since 2008. He provides us a chance to win now with what we have. Losing rice and Edwards won’t hurt as bad as people think. Rice was a one year wonder and Edwards was a whitner. All he wanted was to get paid, just like rice. Robinson is a versatile player with a constant motor. And nobody’s giving these undrafted free agents a chance to make the team. The 6’5 wr from hillsdale runs a sub 4.4 (I think). What about arceneax? Nobody knows what we have until we see some games played. Free agency is still in its infancy. Quit getting your panties in a bunch and let the Viking make moves they feel will help this team. I HATE BANDWAGON FANS. If you’re a true fan, ypu stick with them through the love boat scandal to chilly letting moss go.

87. By MGR4FUN on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

i enjoyed listenin to mc5 he is more cerebrial than i thought and alot bigger … lookin forward to how he developes his wide receiver core … not just percy and shianco or berrian and rudolph but guys like camarillo and jaymar johnson and emmanuel arceneaux … as for all the o-line bashers i would ask how does a runnin back average 1300+ yds a yr for 4 consecutive yrs without the blockin of a pretty dang good o-line … what i am really lookin forward to is the adrian and toby show those two are gonna tear up some turf … and i agree that coach singletary knows how to play defense in the black n blue nfc north and hav no doubt he will hav that purple d ready for a steady diet of lions and bears and cream puff cheeseheads (oh my) … i see mc5 in the pro-bowl in jan/feb ’12

88. By Old School on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Ray Edwards????????????

REALLY…….really…………..Really?

So now we will be witness to the decline of our D-Line just like the O-Line!

Can’t wait to watch this 4-12 season!

89. By Old School on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Article at NFL.com……….”Vikes didn’t bring McNabb in to sit, they brought him in to win now!”

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE, ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THIS “ONE LAST RUN WITH THIS “CURRENT TEAM” FOR THE SUPERBOWL!

That team is gone and dead…………….THAT WINDOW IS CLOSED…..McNabb was just brought in here to put As$%^ in the seats and sell tickets to the people who don’t know any better and don’t know football!!!!!!!

90. By Old School on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

4-12 !!!!!!!!!!!

91. By martin on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

people forget that last year there were many more issues than qb…we had so many poorly played games where the offensive line was terrible, the d could hardly pressure any teams qb…and the secondary was poor many times on third and long…

92. By martin on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

jared allen last year had a couple of good games near the end of the season but again people forget he was dominated in most other games…there has to be a lot of improvements for this team to even win 9-10 games…the run blocking was terrible,qb protection was terrible,,,,,hardly any pressure on the oppostion qb in most games…people forget how many issues this team had last year..

93. By JEFF on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

HEY GUYS LET’S NOT FORGET OLD#4’S COMMENTS LAST YEAR. HE SAID IT WAS AP’S TEAM. WELL IT IS. IF DONOVAN COMES IN AND MANAGES THE GAME, BY HANDING THE BALL TO AP AND A CONTROLLED PASSING GAME 2THINGS WILL OCCUR. FIRST WE WILL CONTROLL THE CLOCK(GAME MANAGEMENT) AND SECOND IT WILL KEEP OUR D OFF THE FIELD AND RESTED. REMEMBER AS AP GOES SO DOES THE WINS.

94. By JEFF on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

ONE MORE THING, OLD#4 SAID IT WAS AP’S TEAM, BUT DID NOT TRY TO MAKE IT AP’S TEAM. THE OLD GUNSLINGER TRIED TO GO OUT IN A BLAZE OF GLORY BUT TRULY WENT OUT LIKE A WET MATCH. SO LET’S GET RANDY BACK. THAT WAY WITH RANDY AND PERCY WE CAN STRETCH THE FIELD, VS CONTROLS THE MIDDLE, THE OPPOSING D WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE 8-9 GUYS OUT OF THE BOX AND AP LIGHTS IT UP. MCNABB MANAGES A BALANCED OFFENSE IN THIS SENARIO, THE DEFENSE WILL NOT BE ON THE FIELD FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME AND WE HAVE A VETY DANGEROUS 10,11 OR 12 WIN TEAM. IF NOT 4.5.6 WIN TEAM AND THE LIONS FINISH AHEAD OF US. THAT WOULD BE SAD AND EMBARRASING.

95. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Apparantly Kluwe and McNabb have already completed a deal to let McNabb take #5.

“Kluwe, who wore No. 5 last year, asked McNabb on Twitter to reference his rock band, Tripping Icarus, five times when addressing the media this season.”

96. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a video of McNabb and Kluwe’s agreement:

97. By Parody on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

well – I tried but apparantly the Vikings.com videos don’t copy straight over like youtube does. I guess you’ll just have to visit the page, but it’s a fun little clip of McNabb getting familiar with his new punter.

98. By Tim on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I think we could use Joe Webb as a wide reciever since we lost S. Rice to free agency. I sure hope we have a better season than we did last year. I’m not getting my hopes up too high! Because I always get let down. I know everyone wants to be very optimistic about the up coming season as I do! We still have a great core of solid players on both sides of the line and I’m glad that we got R. Longwell locked up for the next 4 years, he could be the deciding factor in those nail biters, which I’m sure we’ll have a few of them this season. I’m glad that their will be a full season to watch football. Otherwise it could of been a long cold winter in Minny!!!! Skol Vikings and Good Luck to Leslie Frasier in your 1st full season as the Minnesota Vikings Head Coach!!!

99. By vikings fan 1955 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

There are a lot of doubters out there when it comes to mc nabb and I saw no one better to come play for us and if anyone knows of a better qb that was available plz tell me who that was. We need to get it done this yr and he gives us the best chance because we are aging on the defense not the offense. The young guys aren’t ready not with the o-line we had last yr.Sometimes u can’t look a gift horse in the mouth and mc nabb is our gift horse.

100. By Bill on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Picking up McNabb is going to be a really good pick-up. But, we need to beef up our ffensived line. so, McNabb, Ponder or Webb are not on their backs all year. We also need a #1 WR. What about Owens or even Moss, again. Maybe pick up a defensive back. The Vikngs team is coming together. But, we can not stop at McNabb. There are other concerns on our team. GO VIKINGS.

101. By UK-Viking on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

McNabb brings experience and a hunger to find more success which is good. He doesnt bring any guarantees, youth or, for that matter the pinpoint accuracy of the Culpepper-Moss era – but the young guns will learn from him and grow so it is forward thinkingto a degree. 4 Favre is a tough act to follow but 5 McNabb may just have the chance of pulling it off. Give it a chance.

102. By BiggieSmalls on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Ummm, did we not learn anything about RMoss the second time, if not the first?

103. By Nate on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

been a vikes fan for almost 15 years. I just cant root for a team anymore who trys to lose.

ZYGI WILF YOU ARE A DOUCHE!

104. By Nate on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

THIS IS SO JUST STUPID. VINCE YOUNG WOULD HAVE BEEN A MUCH BETTER OPTION AT QUARTERBACK WITH 10 TDS AND 3 INTS LAST YEAR(WAY BETTER THAN MCNOOB), HES ALSO A PROVIN WINNER AND WOULD HELP AP REACH 2000 YDS LIKE HE DID WITH CJ2K.

JOE WEBB SHOULD START OVER THIS WASHED UP SLOUCH(MCNOOB)

ZYGI WILF IS A DOUCHE

105. By Viking King on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Anybody who doesn’t believe Donovan McNabb will work out fine with a change of scenery just remember what Randal Cunningham did after the Eagles gave up on him. I just hope Percy Harvin can be what Chris Carter or Randy Moss was. Joe Webb as a wideout wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Flea flicker anyone??

106. By vonthedestroyer on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Bring back Moss.

107. By Taimak Rush on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

The vikings rookie class is crazy we have a 6’4 and 6’5 WRs with good speed and we have JOe Webb….. we don’t need Free Agency at all but we have to keep 1 of these 2 rookie WRs tho…… if not Bring back Moss please

108. By vikings fan 1955 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

big duke what does mc Nabb have to do with cunningham throwing a interception yrs ago come on. there have been many qb’s that were supposedly washed up tha came back and did well , Favre , moon, cunningham, just to name a few. Ur taling over 10 yrs ago so that means nothing

109. By Taimak Rush on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

WE need a WRS from Free agency Braylon Edwards Randy Moss… Malcom FLoyd….Matt Jones…. and can’t forgoet our 6’4 and 6’5 rookies with speed we got to sign at least of them if not bothg i see a lot in them

110. By Arrow86 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Nate: I won’t argue that looking far into the future Vince Young has more long term potential because of the tremendous athleticism he possesses. However, if you have been anywhere near planet earth in the last 3 years, you would know that Young has some serious growing up to do. He may have some mental health issues as well. He needs to be a back up for a little while and get his house in order before he’ll be of much use to anyone. Vince Young has dumped on a head coach who has dropped everything and raced around Nashville looking for V.Y. because they believed he was suicidal. Do you honestly think that Frazier wants to have to deal with that circus, while at the same time developing young quarterbacks like Webb and Ponder? Don’t dis the Wilf’s. If I owned the team and brought in Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Brett Favre, and secured productive young players with long-term contracts, while at the same time trying to get a stadium done with a bunch of moron legislators, I think he deserves better than your potty-mouth. Go cheer for a team that terminally sucks! The Bengals could use a clown like you!!

111. By vikings fan 1955 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

someone asked how did ap get 1300 yrd’s 3 yr’s in a row well thats easy the first 2 the o-line was stout and last yr he got it on his pure talent and grit. Yes at times the line helped ap but u have to remember as great as ap is the line has to protect the qb also.If he can’t get time to throw then the recieves are running for nothing and they stack the box on ap.

112. By IBLEEDPURPLE on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Wow- losing Rice was a big blow. I think every true Vike fan is scratching their head wondering if we are going to be able to find big shoes to fill in time. McNabb is going to be interesting. Not sure how I feel right now about this team. Wobschall has some great enthusiasm for the recent team additions/losses but I still detect a hint of “What the?” in his comments. BUT, I trust in Mike and hearing his take on how this team develops gives me hope and eagerness to see this team gel. Crossing my fingers to see how things shape up. Lotta work to do, but it sounds like the Vikes are rolling up their sleeves. I Bleed purple… Nuf said…

113. By Ralph on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

CAN ANYONE SAY SUPERBOWL GO VIKES

114. By drew on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I glad we got McNabb. I been a Viking fan for 41 yrs and i’m only 51. I cried a many superbowls in the 70’s and we blew it in 98, we should have beaten ATl, and a few years ago, we should have beaten the Saints by 14. My beef is we let Sydney Rice go with out put up a fight, and we let Ray Edwards go. There are tons of good free agents and we want to get mediocore player for cheap. The owns wants a new stadium, but they now will to spend money to bring talent to the team. That my beef! When Jerry got his new stadium , the people in Dallas helped glady, because he’s a owner how don’t mind coming out of pocket to win, same for New England. if we allow key player to go and don’t sign key player, we would never win a superbowl! The owner owe us the best player they can get, we support the team, we your fans, help us! Sign good player that still available, even if we don’t win the superbowl, we promise we will help you get a new stadium!!!

115. By Gubber on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Glad Donovan’s out of Washington. That organization is an absolute train wreck at this time. But having said that they are a better organization than the Vikings and they have Super Bowl rings to prove it. The ownership has to make a concerted effort to end this embarassing run of “0” championships. Viking fans deserve much better than this from this organization for their unwavering support of this team.

Gubber

116. By Taimak Rush on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Tell me why we just signed Michael Jenkins like for what is the reason 4 that….he is ok but come on Vikings think we got a Chance to get Braylon Edwards Malcom Floyd , Moss… …come on put your thinking capps on…. so thats Rice replacement……Please Rookies stand up please stand up we have a 6’4 and 6’5 rookie wrs please 1 of u have Randy Moss type skills

117. By Taimak Rush on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We have a 6’4 and 6’5 WRS please one of u stand up please we got to release Berrian to free up room and Camerillo….. we need to tight up on cb please

Please look at our 6’4 and 6’5 WRS please look at them close