Are There Any Packers To Pilfer?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 27, 2011 – 5:56 am

There’s an adage that says “If you can’t beat them, join them.” But what about “If you can’t beat them, sign some of their free agents away from them.”

I’m not sure if that has the same ring to it, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

The Green Bay Packers, coming off a great run to the Super Bowl, have several free agents who played important roles on the 2010 team. Would any of them fit well in Minnesota? That’s not for us to decide, but we can still have an opinion. For what it’s worth, Packers QB Aaron Rodgers doesn’t sound like he’s willing to lose many of them.

Rodgers told espnmilwaukee.com that re-signing free agent WR James Jones should be the team’s #1 priority.

“James is extremely talented and he’s a guy that I think we have to bring back without a doubt,” Rodgers said. “He should be priority No. 1. And I mean that with all my heart. He really should be priority No. 1. We don’t win the Super Bowl without him. And we need him.”

As painful as it is to give a rival credit, the Packers and their GM, Ted Thompson, typically do an outstanding job of scouting young talent and then retaining those players when necessary. Is Jones the type of player the Packers will fight to keep? Only time will tell, but if Jones becomes available you’d think many teams across the NFL would be interested, perhaps even the Vikings.

Another name to consider is OG Daryn Colledge, who was not re-signed by Green Bay before the lockout and will now test the open market. Yet another name mentioned by the espnmilwaukee report is OT Mark Tauscher. The Vikings don’t have a need at OT with both Phil Loadholt and Bryant McKinnie returning in 2011, but you can never have enough help along the offensive line.

“He’s an overrated backgammon and cribbage player, but he’s a hell of a (football) player, too,” Rodgers said. “I hope we bring him back.”

I’m not suggesting the Vikings pilfer the Packers roster simply because they’re a rival. The players mentioned above are clearly players Rodgers values, but they could also become available to other teams if Green Bay chooses to pass up the opportunity to sign them.

So, Vikings fans, do any of those names interest you? Let us know what you think by leaving your thoughts in the comments section below.

39 Responses to “Are There Any Packers To Pilfer?”

1. By calloustongue on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Jones will be resigned by the Packers and Tauscher will retire and move into coaching the oline as an intern. The only Packer the Vikes are getting is probably Atari Bigby as the Packers are too stacked at safety and he will be a bargain as well as an upgrade for the Vikes secondary.

2. By Caleb D on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

How about Cullen Jenkins to replace Ray Edwards

3. By VikesfanNO on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

There is no guarauntee any of the above mentioned players would make an impact on with us just because they made it happen with the Packers so I don’t really buy into that hype for example: Is Cullen Jenkins a versatile player? Green Bay primarily used the 3-4 defense we use the 4-3 can he make that conversion not every player can do that so I would not make a splash like that and it turns out to be a bust so I hope things like that are considered

4. By Parody on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m getting pretty tired of taking Packer rejects. Granted, it’s worked out well for us in the past, there’s still a sour taste to the idea. There’s 30-other teams that are losing veterans too, so it wouldn’t hurt to take a look at EVERYONE available…

5. By Arrow86 on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Tauscher would be an improvement over our McKinnie or Loadholt. But, maybe after their absolutely horrendous 2010 campaign maybe McKinnie and Load will be better prepared to do their jobs this season.

6. By Luke on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

If we can get some good players go for it. I think the Vikings should bring back Sharper.

7. By discountjersey on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

i like Vikings

we wholesale nfl jerseys, cheap with high quality, welcome to order !

8. By Arron on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Too bad Queens another year of doom in the dome.

9. By Cali on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

It’ll be another season collapse for you ladies. McNabb is washed up, so he’ll be of no use to you. You can sign as many of our free agents as you want, but you’ll never make in the playoffs.

10. By Touchdown on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Nate Clemens was released by the 4niners! hes cheap and a great corner Vikes should get him!

11. By Touchdown on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

my istake for the typo wants to be released but i believe he’s a great option.

12. By CA Norwegian on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

@Touchdown… Was he getting beat on the #1 PLAY in 09? Hint Greg Lewis at the back of the enzone and Favre on the ground!

13. By SwaggerLee on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

i would be more interested in Malcolm Floyd than Jones…..as for Jenkins he would be more of a DT than a DE in our system……I think Tommie Harris DT, Nate Clemants CB, Leonard Davis RG, Mike Sims-Walker WR , Brodie Pool FS ,James Anderson LB would = SuperBowl

14. By allan paul on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

McKinnie doesn’t even try. All he wants to do is twitter and party. Gets elected to the Probowl and doesn’t even show up for a practice much less the game. Get rid of his sorry ass, hefty contract, and the rollerskates he seems to put on when faced with a pass rush! Allan Paul – Cottage Grove

15. By Tom Bauer on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Who cares when you let your best receiver go, no offense Harvin but we need a big tall receiver with great hands not Berrian. So all we have at receiver now is Harvin who is awesome but if we want Ponder to have some success you hold on to your number 1 receiver . I know we signed Mcnabb, big mistake take your lumps this year with Ponder give him a good supporting cast and watch him flourish. The money for Mcnabb could of went to Rice.

16. By chasmataz on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

um, if i’m not mistaken; didn’t rodgers get sacked more than just about anybody last year? i don’t think i want a rookie quarterback standing behind that line. i mean we need to address the mckinnie issue for sure, and even hutch was gimpin’ it at the end of the season. but even so, our line is better than their’s. and we just signed one of the guys that kept cam newton upright, as well as 2 other OL rookies. we’re ok.

17. By viking on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

BRING BACK MOSS

18. By vikelifer on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Can anybody tell me what Skol stands for,I was taking some flack from a Packer fan the other day and the word Skol came up in his B.S. and I don’t even know what it is, and now I see people are trying out for it.Please someone inform me I feel stupid.

19. By Me on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

@chasmataz No, Rodgers didnt get sacked the most this year that was in the 09 season. This year Quitler of the Bears got sacked more than any other QB in the league.

20. By Brent on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I am a Packers Fan and I have to say 2 things
    1- Why do you always try to do this it does not work. You are not one or two people on your team away you are one or two people on your ownership or management away. Your team has been good and would stay that way if there was any level of trust with your management and Players.
    2- Build your own team I have been a Packer fan My entire LIfe and my father has been one for 40 years and before that he lived in SD witch is Vikings land. He switched Before I was born because of stupid stuff like this they don’t and haven’t ever built there own team.
    Look at the packers Record in the 80s we sucked BAD but we bult from within and look where we are now if all you do is grab washed up players (Mcnabb) from other teams you will always be in WIN NOW mode instead of being a constant contender like the Colts, Pats, Packers, Steelers, I am not being mean but look at these teams they all built through the DRAFT it is slow and Painful but the final product has winning results.

21. By cweb2628 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I think I speak for all Viking fans when I say If you are a packer fan, stay off of our boards. You have no business here. Stick to your own website, and get your towels ready for when every team doesn’t roll over again this year and gift wrap you another championship.

22. By cweb2628 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

@ Brent , don’t get too comfortable with the idea of being a “constant contender”. You won last year with a combination of your wide receiver play and luck. Just wait until your luck runs out and you guys get an injury that matters. (Don’t whine about all your injuries last year, nobobdy important got hurt). Once one or two of your wr’s either leave the team or get hurt rodgers won’t be able to sit back and throw to wide open receivers all day, and that’s when your lack of a running game will kill you. You better hope Matthews doesn’t get hurt either. Your defense looked pretty bad without him last year.
    Hopefully teams don’t choke like they did last year either. Without bad last minute throws by cutler and vick you wouldn’t have made it anywhere near the Superbowl. And the breakdowns by atlanta and pittsburgh make me sick. They pick those games to play the worst games of their seasons. Hopefully going to be back to reality this year where good teams don’t hand trophys over to lesser teams.

23. By bob polzin on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey cweb2628…You’re an id10T

24. By rpo9un on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I agree

25. By Michael on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Mark Tauscher is he does not retire

26. By unfavreable on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

i am a diehard viking fan askng other viking fans for one favor….. stop saying the packers won the super bowl because of luck or bad calls. youre just setting us all up to be called sore losers and get 4 super bowls thrown in your face.

27. By Tom on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I hate when the vikings let good skill position players walk and don’t do anything to upgrade the leaky siv we have for an offensive line. Yes, McKinnie and Loadholt are big, but neither one of them can move. The only way McKinnie can keep a defender off of our QB is to hold them. We need to try to upgrade our offensive line first off, then try to find another pair of hands to replace Sidney.

28. By Brent on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Ok-
    I read all of the Rules about this site….
    I don’t understand why there is such an attitude about an honest conversation?
    I have not been disrespectful and cweb2628, I agree that there was luck involved. There always is. I admit that we got Lucky we got calls things did bounce our way last year ALLOT. But that is in all honesty what it takes.
    There were things that happened with the Vikings two years ago that went there way until your Coach tried to send an extra player on the field. YOU HAD THE GAME AND SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!
    I watched it with friends that were Vikings fans.
    I want to explain that I am not living in a dream world there probably is a 1/100000 chance we make the Championship game but will prob make the playoffs.
    My point is this and only this.
    WHY NOT PUT IN THE TIME TO DEVELOP GREAT PLAYERS?
    You have the greatest RB in HISTORY i admit that but have no line and have had aging QB’s I think that Ponder will be Scary good if you stick with him and don’t kill him.
    But you need to get younger at your line on both sides of the ball otherwise it wont matter if you have Brady, Jerry Rice and James Jones with Peterson because you wont have the time.
    That is my point not to show relaxation. IM NOT COMFORTABLE, and I understand one injury Vikes with Peterson. I get that.
    But the MAJOR difference that I am trying to make is that you need to build a TEAM and we did lose allot of guys last year that were KEY our RB, out week 1. Our number 1 weapon for Rodgers was Finley he went down. The guys that dropped last year were Key players.
    Imagine if you had Rice all year, and Harvin without headaches. Your season would be different.
    All I am trying to say is that without Building in the draft and young talent you or anyone will always have to win NOW rather than giving yourself time to be consistant. The reason that I say that we are is because there has been 2 seasons in 22 that we have not made the playoffs.
    That is all that I am trying to say.
    Hope you understand.

29. By Touchdown on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

nice post Brent but just curious, are their any Vikings fans on Packer’s sites? I don’t care that your here it’s a free country. I am a die hard Vikes fan too and don’t mind Packer fans on our sites. H#lll I’ll bet there are Vikings fans on Packer sites.

30. By vikings101 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

the vikings are just all around stupid. we need a young healthy quarterback that knows what hes doing. we dont need a old free agent thats just gonna waste our money when we could of gotton some one better. i think ponder would of played a good role in the purple offense.

31. By Vikingtillidie. on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Rick Spileman needs to step up to the plate and make some big changes. This team has to much talent to be at the bottom of the division. I think we need to sign a WR and add to our secondary. otherwise i think we can expect a similar season to last unfortunately.

32. By Brent on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

There are fans from both teams on any site.
    There are allot of Vikings fans on Packer sites, and the only reason that I am here is not because it is a Vikings site but because it is a thread about Packers players. I am not discussing anything that is not within the topic that is at the top of the discussion, and honestly I am not even trolling I am looking to have a fun exciting season, with the vikings in it contrary to many Packers fans that want nothing more than for your franchise to move.
    I don’t i envoy the rivalry and they fun that comes with it.
    Is there not anyplace that this can be discussed in a mature manner?
    Let me make my point this way in the past 10 years there are like 4-5 (Might miss someone) players that you have attempted to take from the packers in free agency.
    How many in history have the packers taken in the other direction?
    Is this to say that there are no good player that have not been cut? HECK NO!!,but there is a fundamental difference in the way that the two teams operate.
    This is all that I am trying to point out.
    I am challenging you to push your team to build for the long haul because then you will be competitive for a longer period of time.
    Hope that I can come back during the season and we can DISCUSS the joys of the sport we all enjoy.
    Later

33. By Touchdown on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Wow. M. Williams was released as well as Jimmy Kennedy and Freddie Brown. I know I wanted Williams gone but it’s sad to see such a great person go. And I can’t believe Jimmy Kennedy is gone. He was awesome.

34. By Touchdown on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Brent. Although our talks won’t be mature nor civilized after our teams play.

35. By viking fan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Skol means salute

36. By Green Bay Smacker on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t “Skol” really chewing tobacco?

37. By olddog on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

All I say is when you get 13 world chanpionships including four superbowl victories come back and bragg how good you are. Until then shut your pie holes.

38. By Brent on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Ok here is my chance to say I am not OLDDOG!!!!
    And I would like to say that I have the ability to still b mature no matter who wins. It is a game and last I checked nobody on this Message Board is PLAYING in the game.
    I have watched enough games to know that the world does not spin off its axis if the team you like loses a game.
    No mater how big the stage.

39. By Brent on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

@TOUCHDOWN
    If you chose to be Mature i can do the same even if we disagree. I am a fan but I am not dillusional and I am aware that the overall record of the Packers and Vikings as well as the Packers Bears is like 50/50 so if you give it you will get it. Because your time is coming when you play in the NFC north because all of the teams honestly are so even.
    And yes I include the Lions in that. Last I checked they beat the Pack last year and Knocked Rodgers out!