New Turf To Be Installed At Mall Of America Field

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 21, 2011 – 7:53 am

One of the notes included in last week’s blog entry about the inflation of a new roof at Mall of America Field was that the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission (MSFC) was in the process of determining whether or not new turf would have to be installed.

MSFC Chairman Ted Mondale told reporters that the process of collecting bids to replace the turf had commenced and that if new turf was necessary, the job would be done in time for the Vikings to host their first preseason game, scheduled for August 27 vs. the Dallas Cowboys.

Rochelle Olson of the Star Tribune reported on Wednesday what many expected; that new turf will indeed be installed before the Vikings play their first game. MSFC Executive Director Bill Lester told Olson that the turf spent too much time under water to remain viable.

“Because of the collapse and the aftermath of the collapse, there was an excessive amount of water on the field for an extended amount of time,” Lester said.

Mondale told Tim Nelson of Minnesota Public Radio that the turf was “pretty nasty” and that it was contaminated by mold and bacteria.

This will hardly be the first time new turf will be installed in the stadium. When the stadium opened in 1982, a product called Superturf was installed. In the years following, products such as AstroTurf and FieldTurf were installed and then prior to the 2010 season a company called Sportexe installed another new surface.

MSFC officials did not disclose to Olson which company would be installing the new surface this time, but Olson did report the following:

– Lester indicated the recommended bid for the MSFC was $476,000
— the bid requires that completion of the project occur by August 18
— an open house will be planned for August 20 so that the public can see the new facility

Posted in All | 51 Comments »

51 Responses to “New Turf To Be Installed At Mall Of America Field”

1. By Touchdown on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Hope this is the last year in the Metrodome. Bring us a Superbowl Vikes!

2. By Parody on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

That’s pretty bleak thinking Touchdown. Even if the team gets a new stadium approved in the next few weeks, it will take around 3-years to complete it. So if this IS the last year in the Metrodome, then the team will need to be playing in another state for at least 2-3 years…

3. By Go Vikings on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody, The Vikings wouldn’t have to play in another state, they could play at TCF Bank Stadium if the new stadium is on the Metrodome site.

4. By Go Vikings on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Or if the stadium is in Arden Hills they can still play at the Metrodome but just have to pay for those 2-3 years that they would use it.

5. By CA Norwegian on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

If Rice will not stay, think Plaxico, we need role players who are just happy to be on the field and blocking effectively. Anybody think of trying Shaq out? We know he can push and catch twelve feet high.

6. By CA Norwegian on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

We are fond of experiments, are we not? If such a one were poswible, Hail Mary just became Hail Shaq. The formation and fade, are his only learning curves. Maybe the FG blocking team, and some extra good pushing at TE for AP and Toby.

7. By Carl K on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Jay Glazer reports that the players will not vote on Thursday night.

The players have more issues with the agreement.

This is getting very old!!!!!!!

8. By Carl K on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

My plea to the owners: Lift the lockout with or without the NFLPA players approval. YOU DON”T NEED THEM!

Open the doors Saturday and let the best guys who want to play, play.
    There are a ton of guys with talent that never get a shot in the NFL.

1 example is my friend Paul Carter. He plays arena football and coaches and is just hanging around hoping for a shot in the NFL, Open the doors and give guys like Paul a chance. Carter is a small school standout from fort Wayne Indiana. He is the NCAAs all time leader in INT return yards. Enjoy the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzbfMH2PQsc

9. By Carl K on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

To NFL Owners –
    The NFL is in the drivers seat… You don’t need D Smith and the defunct NFLPA.
    #1 – Fans want footb@ll. Why? Because they love the game!
    #2 – The US is saturated with a ton of good NCAA players that would love a shot like this.
    #3 – Sooner or later even the big name stars will want to play because they love the game… and because they will want a pay check.

End the lockout for the fans! JUST PLAY THE GAMES! Fans will support it and good players will want to play!

10. By Frederick Jones on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K,

Well… the NFLPA executive group might want to change a few things on the agreement. But overall it sounds like a good plan. I think it will pass.

11. By Titus on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

HEY! Stick to the topic of the blog! Great topic– nothing else important going on. Oh, it would have been nice to have a tribute to Myra Kraft. Or a blog on the owners passing the agreement. Or even that the state is running again. Oops, no, wait, let’s talk about turf installation.

12. By CA Norwegian on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

I’ve done ditch digging and turf installation, ala natural style. Removing the old turf was the hard part, but you need a forklift or O-line to lift pallets of replacement turf strips. Close enough Titus :? Carl K, I agree with you on a personal level, but fear the scab thing didn’t work out that well on turf the last tijme. Your frend is certainly very talented, a good turf friend to have.

13. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

CA Norwegian, I remember the last work stoppage and I feel the replacements did a great job of entertaining us the fans. After all pro-foot-ball is just that, entertainment, a game played by over paid individuals; managed by and owned by over paid owners.

By putting in all this new turf and sprucing up the dome will the Vikings sign a new multi year lease, I doubt so and I hope Minnesota realizes this.

14. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Go Vikings, the Vikings have told everyone they do not want the new stadium at the metro-dome’s site.

So is this Minnesota’s answer to the new stadium question, to fix up the old dome and tell the Viking they will play in it for how many more years? New turf and paint and there you go? Some respect. Oh I have been told I should be more positive so here I go, Good news the Dome will be ready for the Vikings to use for 20 more years, and just think the fans in the twin cities can still use all that available parking. Great news, there may be a season if the rich players will allow it.

15. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Hows that everyone?

16. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall, How much a year is the cost of the blowers to keep the roof inflated? How much would be saved by the tax payers if the dome had not existed? Who pays for the cost of up keep on the dome, tax payers or the Vikings?

17. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

When that dome was being built, most of us fans wanted a semi-fixed roof stadium built at the old met stadium site. How much tax dollars would have been save all this time in not having to maintain them blowers all these years?

18. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

When you build something on the cheap you get the Metro dome, So here is hoping that when they do get to building the new stadium they do it the right way.

19. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

This is something to think about Minnesota.

20. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

You who are in Minnesota, let your elected officials know if they let the Vikings go the way of the Lakers, North Stars, that you will work to get them all fired.

21. By Frederick Jones on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Should we take moving to L.A. seriously? Yes, we should.

22. By Frederick Jones on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

–Your Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl a few short years after leaving Cleveland.

–Your Arizona Cardinals moved first from Chicago then St. Louis, and finally Arizona where the team made it to the Super Bowl.

–Your Rams moved from Cleveland to L.A. to St. Louis where they won and lost Super Bowls.

—Should we take moving to L.A. seriously? Yes, we should.

23. By Frederick Jones on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

@DRS,

Obviously a lot people have decided that the Vikings can make a better profit by staying in the DOME, until this recession is over.

I didn’t want the Metrodome when they built it. I felt that 55 million was not enough to build it right.

Is it better to be happy that we have an NFL team in the Metrodome, than not having a team at all?

24. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, You asked, is it better to be happy that we have an NFL team in the Metrodome, than not having a team at all? My answer is yes, if and only if a new stadium is in the works. Though I think the real question is, what is the Vikings answer to your question, and I fear that Viking fans will not like the answer.

25. By DRS on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Everyone have a great day, life goes on.

26. By Ponder5000 on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Fredrick why say that ? there getting close to winning a super bowl they just need to stay positive and get this lockout over. the Vikings will have one of the best teams in the NFC if they get Rice back and get and OLineman. i think that ponder will have a better career than than Newton,Locker,Gabbert and Mallet the guy is super smart.

27. By CA Norwegian on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

NFL teams are a great thing for those who love football. The downside is that sometimes those who love football are not always the best citizens, aka LA
    Raiders fans. The bad fan is not unique to football, look at the riots that follow Lakers championships. Sure maybe some are just bad and taking advantage. Yet do those who are in charge of citizenry know the difference? The NFL statium situation reminds me of somebody stepping out of a limo discovering they forgot their wallet and asking the ordinary citizen’s to pay for their parking, dinner, and hotel. The legacy of winning may fetch it, but in tough times, it doesn’t seem right… Yes, I know teams give to economies and build playgrounds too. Maybe they could win a superbowl for the stadium!!!

28. By Titus on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

DRS– please, get a dose of reality. The Vikings have to play somewhere and the dome was not being renovated for the next twenty years but being repaired from the damage of the snowstorm last December. Big difference between renovation and repair.

29. By DRS on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus, are U sure of that? I know that was the case, though the lawmakers may say lets wait for a few more years. How long must we wait? Is all I am saying, and how long will the Vikings?

30. By Titus on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Am I sure of that? Let’s see. Fact: dome roof caved in. Fact: turf stood under water and became full of mold and bacteria. Fact: 2011, Vikings are playing in Minnesota. Fact: repairs were done to install a new roof and new turf; both are to remedy the problems from the snowstorm.

I don’t know what the future holds and I am not worried. I love to watch football, but what happens, happens. I am not going to make a career out of trying to keep the team in Minnesota– I believe it will all work out, if not, it won’t make me fall apart.

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus, as you say, life goes on. Anyway just got back, how is everyone? The Gulf Stream is now short 2 Yellowfin tuna , 3 Wahoo and a NICE Striped Marlin. Get back to work NFLPA, I have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

32. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

* Sorry, Blue Marlin. Anyway, it almost won the fight!!

33. By Titus on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Nova, nice! Depleting the oceans of wildlife. Send me some for the grill!

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

I would love to Titus, but it’s not exactly fresh now. Deep-sea fishing is the second-best feeling in the world. I hope you get the chance some day, don’t ever pass it up. Everything I caught (and ate) is plentiful, and not on anyone’s endangered list. A Wahoo steak rivals Filet Mignon!!!

35. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

That Blue was like having an 18-wheeler on your line.

36. By Frederick Jones on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Nova welcome back!

We could use someone with a sense of humor.

We’ve had very little laughs in the recent past.

37. By DuaneN on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe the Vikings have cap trouble. Did they lower the numbers or what? Seems so ridiculous with Favre not playing. Do they still owe Favre money?

Edwards is gone and Rice will leave too I’m sure. Athletes are not going to stay here if they don’t have to.

Time for a career year from AP.

38. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

How are you doing, Fred?

39. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Seems like old times. I only wish we had someone like Chili to $hit on. Oh well, how about the NFLPA?

40. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

YOU GREEDY^$@^&*$@!())&^$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Work 5 years, make 10 mill, and retire.That is more than most of us would make in 3 or 4 lifetimes. I have no side in this Millionaire-vs-Billionaire dispute., Like Titus says, your life should continue, with or without the NFL.I, like all you guys, look forward to watching football on Sunday(and I have to pay to watch the Vikes), but if the players turn this down, (which I doubt) , I will do what I did during the last work stoppage on Sundays……..PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Watching the CFL is like watching a pick-up game in a parking lot. except the end-zones are bigger.

43. By NovaScotiaVike on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

It can be first-and-goal at the one, and you can still throw the bomb.

44. By DRS on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Yes Titus your facts are correct, my point is that facts can be twisted to keep the Vikings in the dome for years to come. One could say look the dome is good to play in and we do not have the money for a new stadium so wait for better times. That could be the stance of the lawmakers for years to come, and it has been theirs for years. So how long will the Vikings put up with this? That is my question. Repairs can be considered renovations, just depends on ones point of view. Have great Sunday everyone.

45. By DRS on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

NovaScotiaVike, I sure hope you had fun deep sea fishing. I worked for deep sea fisheries in the 80’s on board the Alaska Mist, a long line fisher. 30 to 40 foot swells where quit interesting. Yes everyone should experience deep sea fishing one time in their lives. BTW welcome back.

46. By DRS on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

I will be a Vikings fan wear ever they play except in LA. If that happens I will then go to AZ Cardinals to be a fan. They are closer for me to go to for games. As for the CBA, I could care less if the pro-team’s play this year or not. There are semi-pro teams to watch, as well as High school. They may be better to watch in the long run. They play for the love of the game, not for the pay.

47. By Frederick Jones on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

@Duane N.,

Where did you hear the Vikings have cap problems?

If that is true, it’s going to be difficult to sign Sidney Rice, and so what if they do, Webb or Ponder are going to be throwing off the back foot every play!!!

48. By Parody on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Fred – I don’t think that we’ll have much for cap problems. Carl and I debated it for a while the other day, and from the numbers we could pull up, they should have plenty of leeway to sign Rice and one or two quality free agents.

49. By Mike B on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Just read about possibility that the Eagles are iinterested in Farve. I still haven’t heard fromFarve he is truely retired. With the Vikings honestly considering McNabb, I still think that a healthy Farve is better QB. I think the Vikings should ask Farve if he is or is not retired and if he plans to commit to the entire season of football, before looking for an older Vet like McNabb. Just my thought. Take care all

50. By Frederick Jones on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

test

51. By Carl K on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Frederick – I agree with Parody, no problem resigning Rice as far as a cap space goes. Will the Vikings be willing to do what it takes to keep him is another question?

Parody – had talked about resigning Greenway and Peterson (the other day in our debate) to long term deals to create cap space for this year. I also agree that this will be a direction the Vikings move when a new CBA is reached.

Cuts and restructuring some players contracts can created additional room to sign some free agents. I wouldn’t worry too much about reports that the Vikings will be over the cap at this point.