Mall of America Field’s Roof Is Rising Today

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on July 13, 2011 – 7:52 am

For the first time since early December, the roof covering Mall of America Field at the Metrodome is being inflated today after being worked on and replaced by workers over the past several months thanks to the blizzard that took said roof down on December 10 and 11.

The process started at 7 a.m. today and will wrap up later the morning, if all goes well.

The Vikings are slated to take on the Dallas Cowboys in preseason play on Saturday, Aug. 27, which of course will be the first game at the Metrodome since the Vikings 38-14 win over the Buffalo Bills on Dec. 5, 2010.

We’ll have more coverage of the “roof inflation” in the coming days here on vikings.com, including a cool time-lapse video showing the start-to-finish process of the inflation.

Posted in All | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Mall of America Field’s Roof Is Rising Today”

1. By Parody on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

They sure are getting this done early.

I just received a free snippet of the old roof in the mail yesterday, it came complete with a sticker indicating it’s the real deal. All I had to do was send an e-mail to the contact section at msfc.com and they shipped it to me at no expense. I paid about ten bucks for a frame and printed off a photo of the dome to throw in behind it, and now it’s a pretty cool addition to my Vikings decorations.

2. By Laura on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

I need a piece of the dome! HOW?

3. By Frederick Jones on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Why did the dome fall in anyway? Shouldn’t it be built to hold up in MN winter weather?

4. By Titus on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Frederick, that has never been addressed. There are places that get much bigger snowfalls than the one that brought the roof down. Is the new roof any different than the old one? Beware attending a game during a blizzard.

5. By Spanky8 on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

the power went out so the heaters stopped working the snow piled up and you know the rest

6. By Spanky8 on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

i wanted to throw this in, packer fans should no longer be called cheeseheads they should be called Meatheads dead from the neck up…..

7. By Carl K on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody- thanks for the tip on the old roof snippet… I emailed them today and asked for a section for myself.

I think you deserve the blogger of the month award for your contribution to this site! Your input is enjoyable to read! Thanks.

8. By paul on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

Spanky8, Meatheads or cheeseheads their still the SUPERBOWL CHAMPS..