NFL.com Features The Top Five Moments In Metrodome History

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on June 29, 2011 – 3:22 pm

Thanks to help from Vikings fans, our friends over at NFL.com were able to feature the Metrodome / Mall of America Field in their on-going feature of looking at the five best plays in the history of each of the league’s ten oldest stadiums, which of course includes the Metrodome.

Which five plays in the history of the Dome made the cut?  You’ll need to click over to NFL.com to see, but you’ll get to see video of all five plays if you so choose, so props to the NFL.com crew for putting together a very cool piece.  Within the same link you’ll be able to browse to other stadiums as well, so it’s definitely worth your time to check it out.

Posted in All | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “NFL.com Features The Top Five Moments In Metrodome History”

1. By Mike B on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

Those are great moments indeed.

2. By Titus on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

Tour de France starts Saturday!

3. By CA Norwegian on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

..TE,T,G,C,G,T,TE,
    H……….QB
    ………….RB
    This just in… The pocket has solidified, more great moments to come. This is the season of the YAC,.

4. By Parody on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

I disagree with a couple of those. First and foremost the Herschel Walker run. So he ran for 50 yards and dropped a shoe. Big whoop. There’s plenty of better options out there.

The other one I didn’t really care for was the Carter TD. I haven’t looked into it, but from the situation (overtime in week 14) it likely could have been the play to clinch the division. The only problem is that it really didn’t seem all that spectacular to me, especially in consideration of the player who did it. I would have much rather seen a Cris Carter finger tip, toe tapping grab. It was always awesome watching him pull those off, and he did it so often that it seemed routine! There are PLENTY to choose from, just pick the one that had the biggest impact.

5. By Parody on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Tons of great catches in the metrodome endzone in this vid, including against the Chargers, Cardinals, 49ers, and (I think) Giants. Maybe others….

“Greatest hands in NFL History!”

Why is this guy not in the Hall of Fame yet???

6. By Carl K on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Great stuff Parody.
    Carter is my all time favorite Viking player. I still have his jersey retired and hanging in my man-cave sports game room.

You called it on the money… Carter had a way of making the tough catch look routine.

And he was the perfect mentor for Randy Moss.

7. By Carl K on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Brett Farve to Greg Lewis in the back of the end zone to beat the 49ers in 09 is my favorite Metrodome moment.

But my most favorite Viking moment came in Metropolitan Stadium in 1980. On December the 14 agianst the Browns Tommy Kramer throw for 456 yards and with 6 seconds left threw a hail mary to Ahmad Rashad to win the came and send us to the playoffs. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O8IowjQSg

8. By Dr0wssap on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Without a doubt THE greatest 60 minute moment in metrodome history was the week 11 game of the 2010 season when Aaron Rodgers and the WORLD CHAMPION GREEN BAY PACKERS gave a beating of a lifetime to Bert Farve and the embarrassment of the NFL Minnesota Vikings. 31 to 3…..At home…what a disgrace….anyway….are the Vikings EVER going to win a Superbowl ? I think not.But hey if all you Minnesota Viking fans want to see what a real Superbowl Vince Lombardi trophy looks like in person,drive on over to Green Bay…. you can see FOUR of em.

9. By Chilly4Life on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

@Dr0wssap

You s**k c**k for a living.

10. By Frederick Jones on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

The greatest receiver of all time was Jerry Rice.

Rice’s own teammate said that C.C. Carter was better at sideline catches !

This guy is NOT IN THE HALL OF FAME?

What was his fault, catching too many pa s s es, for too many yards, and for too many touchdowns?

11. By Frederick Jones on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

The OWSAPPY one is in the house.

Great comic relief ! ! !

12. By Frederick Jones on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

Thank you for posting that video ! ! !

I’ve decided that you can keep blogging on vikings.com.

13. By Frederick Jones on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

What does Owssap stand for?

The W is for Wisconsin.

The ap is probably for “@Packers.

What do the rest of the letters represent?

Our Wisconsin Super Star Aging Packers?

14. By Chilly4Life on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Dr0wssap is probably passw0rd backwards.

God, you people.

15. By Parody on Jul 2, 2011 | Reply

@Fred – Thanks. I always felt like I was breaking the rules until I finally got the approval of a self appointed moderator.

16. By Brian Richards on Jul 2, 2011 | Reply

Just gotta mention that one of the greatest plays in NFL history happened at the Metrodome in it’s first season, 1982, and it’s NOT on the list, I’m guessing ‘cuz it WASN’T by the Vikings, but it should be in there. Tony Dorsett of the Dallas Cowboys’ 99 yard TD run on “Monday Night Football” is the record longest Touchdown run from the line of scrimmage and will never be broken… Shoulda been on the list!

17. By Bryan on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

Those videos are awesome!

18. By Dr0wssap on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey buddies,how are all my great friends doing today?

19. By Remember Met Stadium on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

Problem is, the refs gave the Phackers 3 games last year. Their actual record put them 4th in the division.

How many billion dollars a year does the NFL make, and they cant find a way to keep the refs from giving games away?

And yes, CC was an amazing player. Sat right behind his wife one game. He will have his day in Canton.