Update On Metrodome Roof Repair

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 24, 2011 – 8:05 pm

The news regarding progress on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement has been good lately. For Minnesota football fans, there’s more good news regarding progress on another important project.

Repairs on the roof of the Metrodome remain on schedule. If all goes according to plan, the stadium will be ready for the Vikings to play all 10 home games (2 preseason, 8 regular season) on Mall of America Field.

Crews have installed 59 of 64 diamond panels and 30 of 32 rectangle panels; 3 of the 10 triangle panels have been installed and recently the final 6 triangle panels arrived on site.

Field lights have been checked and field speaker repairs have been completed as well. Inflation fans are scheduled to be checked next week.

To this point there have been no safety issues reported, which is even more good news.

At this point it’s hard to believe, based on the photos, that NFL games will be played in the Metrodome. But the effort and determination displayed by the working crew to get the project this far this quickly is what will allow the repairs to be made in a timely enough manner to once again make Mall of America Field the home for Vikings football – regardless of rain, sleet, wind or snow.

Make use of the interface below to view some pictures of the roof repair process that were taken this week.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Posted in Mike Wobschall | 46 Comments »

46 Responses to “Update On Metrodome Roof Repair”

1. By Frederick Jones on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Yes, but will the roof, and stadium be able to hold out a storm like the one that knocked out our roof this year?

2. By CA Norwegian on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

I think thety will really be on it this time… Experience Matters.

If we’re Riceless — This might work out well — Protectiion, Hands, Height, leaping and SPEED On the front line. And MANY release valves Short and medium. TO KEEP lB’s honest. When the season ends our TE’s will be talked of as the best duo, injuries aside.

Harvin ShiancOe OOCOO Rud0lph BB
    Lewis pOnder CamarillO
    J. WEBB/Basket Iglesias

Back: AP, Toby, Harvin, Booker, Protection Tahi, Imperio, Kleinsasser. This settup and variations give great running and passing opportunity… Keep then wondering what to call on D. Lure them omn shorts, untill BB or Harvin breaks open downfield. Rice is a great player, without him we can spread the wealth around.

3. By CA Norwegian on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

If we had to choose between Rice and a new stadium…Where would you spend your dough? I really see Shiancoe and Rudolph looking like Gates and Gonzalez this year… Lets Mske sure AP earns his place at the top of history. We should have never lost that focus.

4. By DRS on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

Mike, I still wonder why put a new roof on the dome, just remove it all to gather, and save some money to go toward the new stadium. Is this not wasting money that could have gone to the new stadium? Government, if there is a way for it to waste money, it will.

5. By DRS on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

Think about the $$$ that would be save in electric cost that would be saved. No more need in running them inflation fans 24hrs a day.

6. By DRS on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

Save some money, remove the roof from the dome.

7. By DRS on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

Mike, who pays for the up keep and daily cost of the dome after the Vikings no longer rent it? Why keep it if the reason for it is no longer there. Will the Vikings be forced to play in the dome for years to come by the Minnesota legislatures? All they need to do is to pass a law telling the Vikings what to do. Is that not the way our new Government works? No freedoms, No liberties, Big brother knows best.

8. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

@DRS,

Correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to have already made the decision on the dome. I agree with you, that if we can save money there we should.

9. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

I just watched a special program on the new stadium starring Lester Bagley.
    He just repeated a lot of things the DRS and Shawn have already stated. They have everything done for funding the new stadium except getting the state to contribute.

They are waiting for the state to balance the budget, then they can go ahead. No guarantee that the state will pay out. Then what?

Rush Limbaugh will take them to LA.

Another guy will take them to Fairmont (yeah, like that’s going to fly).

10. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

They are asking 1 billion to build this new stadium. Lester Bagley said that if we are going to have a roof, it might as well be retractable!!!

What is the difference in cost between a regular roof and a retractable?

I bet it’s alot more than a million!

He also said that HS sporting events do not pay for the stadium, but they add revenue to the cost of running it. Sounds like double talk to me!

I bet they could build this stadium for 800 million.

11. By Frederick Jones on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

I bet we wind up remodeling TCF, and playing there in 2012.

12. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

that would suck and we would lose fans because obviously alcohol is illegal at tcf stadium….

13. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

We cant just steal tcf from the gophers can we??….

14. By Touchdown on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

Bring back the Purple People Eaters! Old School Football. Handing the ball of to AP in the blizzardly snow. Our defense would be unstoppable! Everyone would hate coming here!

15. By Mike B on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

Touchdown, The state of MN is looking at the big picture when deciding on a stadium. A roofed or retractable stadium will allow the facility to be multiuse. This will allow the Super Bowl, Final four, or NBA championships to be played in new Stadium. I am still waiting for the NFL to put in for a Super Bowl if the new stadium is built. The League wants the Vikings to stay in MN and Wilfs need a new stadium,

16. By DRS on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, yes they have decided to rebuild the domes roof; I was just voicing my disappointment that the powers to be had no brains in them and wasting, (in my opinion), money on that stinking dome.
    That abomination should never have been built in the first place, we who where around when it was built wanted a stadium with a retractable roof. We wanted it built in or around the old met. That was not to be, the fat cats in the twin cities just had to have it their way; just as they want it to day.

17. By Jordan Burrell on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

People saying that they should just remove the roof are idiotic. The Metrodome was made to be inside. Have you ever walked up the steps to get to your seat in there? It’s already tough, now picture having snow all over and the floors being slick, it would be similar to a dog with roller blades trying to skate on Ice, an accident waiting to happen.

18. By DRS on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Jordan Burrell, I have never been there, and would not want to be there even if you paid me. It was an abomination when built, and is still one. The sooner it is torn down the better. My point is that it is a waste of money to repair the thing. That money should have gone to the new stadium. The Vikings could have played their games at the TCF stadium.

Though I do not think there is going to be a season this year and the Vikings will be forced to move for the 2012 season. So it will not make much of a difference, it is all a waste of tax payers money at this time.

19. By Parody on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been to plenty of Twins and Vikings games in the dome and never had any trouble with the stairs. Although, I often find myself climbing down the chairs at the end of games because it’s faster than waiting behind the long lines inching down the stairs, so maybe that makes my opinion less valid. The stairs are pure concrete, so I can imagine they have good potential to ice over in a MN winter.

I’d also like to point out that they are not actually using tax payer money to repair the stadium. The insurance company is footing the bill, and I’m not sure how the insurance is managed, but I’d expect that it’s not the same as when you get into a car accident, and the insurance company just gives you a sum of money that you can then choose to use to repair the damage or pocket it. But I am only guessing on that. Regardless, leaving the problem alone (tearing off the roof and playing without) would not have been a reasonable decision. That dome covers the entire stadium, and some big project would still need to occur in order to adjust the field to compensate, and weather proof the top of all the rest of the building. That would likely have cost signifcantly more than repairing the dome.

Really it’s too bad that the state has put off the approval of a new stadium so long, or it would have been a much easier decision to use the insurance money (if they were allowed to) as an extra fund for the stadium that OUGHT to already be a couple years into construction.

20. By Parody on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

**But as it is, the Vikings are still under contract in the dome, and they have every right to expect it to be fixed so that they aren’t forced to accept a year of significantly lower revenue (as TCF Field would produce) especially when the state has given them no feasible alternatives or improvements for the forseeable future.

21. By Redler on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

My only issue right now is, what team should i start cheering for when they don’t build the new stadium and they become the LA Vikings?

I hate the packers, Lions and Bears too much to go for any other team in the NFC north. Also, it just wouldn’t be the same if they aren’t in minn.

Move them to Nebraska so I can actually go to a game maybe

22. By Frederick Jones on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Good commentary by DRS. I think I may also be one of the “idiotic” people who said just take the dome off. I was just kidding, but I do not think it would be idiotic. Obviously they would have to “winterize” the Metrodome if they took the roof off.

We don’t know how much money the Vikings got from the insurance company, nor do we know if it is covering all costs to repair the dome.

But why did they build it so fragile? It should have been built to withstand Minnesota snow storms ! ! ! DRS is right about it not being funded and built properly in the first place. Ya gotta wonda ifn’ theys a doin’ it raht noooww.

23. By CA Norwegian on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

As stated by Favre, he hated coming to the Dome as a Packer. Creature comforts may be lacking, but I sure enjoyed Viking dominance there. I think there will be another season,. I know there is a lot of talent growing and coming up with our competiton, but I believe the ingredients are in our team for a surprise. No scimping on the next roof, it needs to be woven carbon nanotubes.

24. By CA Norwegian on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Mike and friends for the info. If we can start 1-0…

25. By ScotishVike on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad to see that work is being done. I wish there was more updates on the repairing of the roof and the stadium issue in general. If anyone else is interested I use VikingsDaily.com for updates on the team and the stadium issues. Go Vikes!

26. By Mike B on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t get my hopes down on the Vikings leaving MN. The question on the vikings moving to LA hinges on the Wilfs selling the team to the group in LA. The Wilfs have talked to that group, but no word is said on selling the team. The NFL will be involved on any the sale of the team and the league has interest in keeping the Vikings in MN. So any team sale will hinge on the leagues approval. This doesn’t settle the issue of the new stadium. The stadium deal has to be done to keep the team in MN, but this issue is not just going to end with the end of the contract of the Metrodome. I believe we are a good 2 years from any decision on the Vikings, but that doesn’t leave much time to get a stadium deal done. Let’s all hope that the decision comes sooner rather than later. It’s not crunch time yet, but it’s close. Have a great Week.

27. By Mike B on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

It is possible a local group may want to buy the Vikings also. Just a thought to consider. The league would give perferance to a group that would like to keep the team in MN. Just food for thought.

28. By DRS on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Mike B, why should the Vikings stay if Minnesota disrespects them? They give the Twinkies there stadium and look where they are, at the bottom. They gave the Gophers their stadium and told the Vikings to wait. Well they did, now it is time for Minnesota to respect the Vikings for their patients. How long must the Viking put up with that abomination of a dome? How long would you take this disrespect from Minnesota if you where the Vikings?

29. By Parody on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

DRS – I think you are missing Mike B’s point. Even if the Vikings owners want to move the team, it takes more than a decision by the owner to make it happen. The NFL is a special type of Monopoly, wherin certain decisions such as moving a team need to be authorized by the entire league. So the question becomes how long will it take for the NFL to allow the Vikings to leave MN? The fact that the team is among the most popular in the league leads me to believe that they might insist the team wait out the incompetance of the state an extra year or two.

30. By joe mckee on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand why the vikings can’t reduce the cost and maybe get
    a stadium built by agreeing to one without a roof. Green Bay, and Chicago
    seem to do ok with an open air stadium. Also, when checking the average
    temp. for mid Dec. to mid Jan. 2010. Cleveland and Pittsburgh had more
    days with the average temp. being lower that of Min.

31. By Mike B on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Joe The state of MN is requiring the roofed stadium to make it multiuse. It’s a make or break thing so we need to get behind the roofed stadium. It’s more important that the stadium gets built that what type. Take Care.

32. By Mike B on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

MN has a disproportionate amount of income for a small market area. There is money to be made to keep an NFL team in MN. This doesn’t mean that they will wait forever for the state to decide on a stadium. I don’t see at disrespect to the Vikings, but time to get more supporters in MN to get behind the new Stadium. We can all say yes let’s get a stadium done, but the voters of MN are going to pay bill for it.

33. By fran on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Emergency, emergency: we need Rice, WE NEED RICE!!!!!

34. By DRS on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I understand Mike B’s point, and yours. I just wonder how long will the Vikings put up with Minnesota before the Vikings ask to leave, that is my point.

35. By Orlando Roofing Company on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Hi,

It is good that there have been no safety issues reported………

Thanks,

36. By Idaho Falls roofers on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Really informative & valuable discuss. Just a thought to consider

37. By айкидо Ёсинкан on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Thanks , I have just been searching for information about this topic for a while and yours is the best I have discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the supply?|What i do not understood is if truth be told how you’re not really much more smartly-liked than you may be right now. You are very intelligent.

38. By roof repairs on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

Your blog is very nice.The wording about Roofing is very nice.I really impressed from your blog.I want to see your more blogs.

39. By Best beats online on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness to your publish is simply nice and i can suppose you’re an expert on this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to stay updated with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please keep up the enjoyable work.

40. By roof repair on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Love this post, and also love Moomin!

41. By Tammy Quinn on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Roof of a house keep your room comfortable so to make your comfortable contact us.

42. By Tammy Quinn on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Roof of a house keep your room comfortable so to make your room comfortable contact us.

43. By nehajohnplz on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Getting a dome roof done is a time consuming process. Hope that they can complete the installation process before the games. From the pictures I think that they will do the task.

44. By Soha Sam on Sep 24, 2013 | Reply

Selecting reputable roofers is main point in roof repair policy. This roofing roofer’s one of reputed company. So it’s quality based and reliable. For this nice information thank U. And keep posting.

45. By Ben Thomas on Oct 2, 2013 | Reply

The main cause of this roof repair is carelessness of the stadium officials.If they would have performed a regular checkup and did the repair properly, we wouldn’t have missed any games.

46. By jemeshobs on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

Have you ever considered adding more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since I’m more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful well let me know how it turns out! I love what you guys are always up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to my blogroll. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. Orlando roofer