Monday Morning Mailbag Extra: A Look At The WR Position

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 20, 2011 – 9:01 am

One of the questions in this week’s Monday Morning Mailbag dealt with WR Sidney Rice and what the Vikings plan will be if Rice leaves via free agency. The answer in the mailbag was pretty lengthy, but after thinking about it some more I think there is even more we can add to the topic.

So we’ll use a blog entry to add those thoughts.

I think it’s important to first make it clear that retaining Rice is the optimal outcome, whether it’s via a 1-year restricted free agency tender or a long-term contract extension. It’s fair to question whether Rice will be a franchise-caliber WR, largely because of some injury problems he’s experienced. Ultimately, though, you have to look at the career year he had in 2009 (83 receptions, 1,312 yards, 8 TDs, Pro Bowl) and how the offense struggled in 2010 while he was sidelined with an injury. In addition, I’d point out that Rice has the skill set (wide catch radius, above average size and body control) that will provide a reliable target for a young, inexperienced QB (Christian Ponder/Joe Webb) to succeed.

With that said, the point of the question in this week’s Monday Morning Mailbag was to discuss alternative options for the Vikings if Rice were to sign with another team. In my original answer, I explained that several young WRs already on the roster would have an opportunity to step up in Rice’s absence and that the following potential free agents might represent potential options for the Vikings: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Vincent Jackson and James Jones.

After giving it some more though, though, I’ve come up with a few other options the Vikings could consider if they’re in the market for a WR. I’ll list a few guys, and then provide a brief thought about how/why they’d fit with the Vikings…

Plaxico Burress: He’s been off the NFL radar for the past 2 seasons because he was sentenced to prison following an incident where a gun he was carrying discharged into his leg at a nightclub in New York. Burress was one of the NFL’s best WRs when the incident occurred, but now he’s 2 years removed from his last game and he’s going to be 34 years old when the 2011 NFL season begins. A veteran on the wrong side of 30 with a prison sentence stemming from a gun incident doesn’t sound exactly like the type of player Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman are looking for, but keep in mind that Burress will be working with Tony Dungy – a friend of Frazier’s – in much the same way that Michael Vick worked with Dungy. That worked out pretty well for the Eagles. This is a tough one to call, but it’ll be interesting to see which teams pursue Burress.

Chad Ochocinco: It’s tough to know what Ochocinco’s contractual status will be with the Cincinnati Bengals once the work stoppage concludes, but suffice it to say that he could be an unrestricted free agent as the franchise appears to moving on. They drafted a franchise QB in Andy Dalton, presumably because they know Carson Palmer won’t be with them in the future. A similar plan could be in place for Ochocinco, meaning he’ll hit the open market. There’s no denying Ochocinco’s great productivity in the past. But he, like Burress, is on the wrong side of 30 (he’s 33) and you have to wonder if younger WRs will appeal to the Vikings more.

Steve Smith (Carolina): Much like Ochocinco, Smith has been an extremely productive WR who has experienced plenty of ups and downs with his current team. And much like Ochocinco, Smith might be an option for teams who don’t mind a WR in his early 30s (he just turned 32). Smith is a tremendous deep threat because of his speed but also because of his uncanny ability to win jump balls despite being undersized (5-9, 185 pounds).

Those are just a few more options that could be available for the Vikings if they were to pursue a WR in free agency and if Rice were to sign elsewhere. What do you think Vikings fans? Do any of those options appeal to you? If not, who else is out there?

Let us know what you think by posting a comment in the comments section below this entry.

Tags: , ,
Posted in All | 82 Comments »

82 Responses to “Monday Morning Mailbag Extra: A Look At The WR Position”

1. By Bubba on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

If Rice is signed elswhere, the next option is… to tell Speilman to pack his bags!
    There is no reason the Vikings shouldn’t be the highest bidder for Rice.

We didn’t offer Matt Birk, Darren Sharper or Chester Taylor enough. We still haven’t filled those holes. If Speilman makes the same mistake with Rice, it is time to make some changes in the front office.

2. By Shawn on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss

2010

Farve TD pa’sses with Moss 5 in 4 games
    Farve TD pa’sses without Moss 5 in 6 games

Number of games Farve had a QB rating over 80

With Moss 3 in 4 games
    Without Moss 1 in 6 games

3. By Shawn on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss

2010 … just first 10 games

4 games with Moss 86 points
    6 games without 72 points

4. By Shawn on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Ocho is more hype than wr

so I say Randy Moss

5. By Shawn on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Have I mentioned Randy Moss yet?

6. By Flamcake on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I say get Moss

7. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Bubba – Both Birk and Taylor chose to leave Minnesota for a different team. I am not aware of the details of each offer the Vikings extended to Birk and Taylor, but I’m guessing the Vikings offers were equal to or better than both the Ravens and Bears, but that both Birk and Taylor chose to sign elsewhere.

8. By peter hatchett on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I think moss is a good option. I like the idea of Santonio Holmes as well. Why not get two good wideouts.Burress would be good too but do we really need more drama? Definitely need good wideouts but I’d like a non- McNabb veteran QB as well

9. By Bubba on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Mike- Chester got a 12.5 million 4 year contract with the Bears… with the hope of being the featured back. You can not seriously believe the Vikings offered that same opportunity and deal.

Why would Birk leave Minnesota for Baltimore if it was for less money?? Players and agents don’t work that way.

10. By Frederick Jones on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Okay, lets focus on something jus’ a tad mo’ ineresing':

Namely where do you think Tiki Barber will wind up?

I think he will be in Tampa Bay with his twin brother Ronde Barber.

Wha’ yooo say?

11. By Chaz on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Birk was offered the exact same deal to stay in Minnesota. He left because he didn’t agree with Childress. That is completely true.

12. By Frederick Jones on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

@Chaz,

No disrespect…I was going to write this anyway, but it does pertain to your topic.

John Mackovic led the KC Chiefs to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. He was fired after 8 “prominent” Chiefs went to owner Lamar Hunt asking for his head. Mackovic went on to win 2 conference championships in college.

Enter Frank Gansz: Franklyn led the “talented” Chiefs to a 4-11 strike shortened season. No problem? The following year they went 4-11-1, and Gansz was fired.

13. By Frederick Jones on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

So friends:

What is right, is not always popular. What is popular is not always right!

14. By Stoney on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I’ll give a yes vote for Moss, and yes, Mike and Chaz are correct about Birk

15. By Chad on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I like what Shawn is trying to say. We NEED Moss to retire as a Viking! He even said it HIMSELF in a press conference last season with the Vikes. People dont like to believe it but he really did make our team better. The only really bad game he honestly had was against New England and Childress wouldn’t listen to what strategy Moss was suggesting! I’m telling you that the Vikings would be stupid to pass up on Moss again. His HOF career started here so let him finish here!! And without a doubt its obvious that MANY fans want Moss to be a Viking forever! I dont care who does it but someone get the message to Vikings staff to pursue Moss again!

16. By CA Norwegian on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I think I read Vincent Jackson had a franchise tag on him in SD. I trust what the guys on the inside decide about Moss. Even though there is question in my mind whether Moss would want to coime back a 3rd time. Are we going to set an NFL record? Moss traveled to two teams in one year… the head coaches were both fired. That is one record, that will make signing hard this year.

I think Plaxico deserves more thought. Namely bigger guys careers can last, like George Foreman. Little guys loose half a step, and then they exit early like Barry Sanders. Plaxico is a big guy who should have changed attitude because of his woeful experience. I percieve this guy can block because of his size and strength, and NY declined upon his departure. I’m told he draws double teams. If that is all he does is block and draw double teams … work him out…all OK :-> sign him.

17. By Flamcake on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Moss said he would love to come back. Players love him, too. I also over heard an inside source say the whole bad mouthing of the food things was more of a joke and got blown way out of proportion. As a season ticket holder I demand we offer Moss SOMETHING, ANYTHING to come back! Either way though, Skol!

18. By CA Norwegian on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Chad Ocho: I think he does much to get open quickly on short routes. His quickness may be usefull for west coast. He may not be a fit in other ways.

19. By CA Norwegian on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I am neutral on Moss. He has been a great player. Sometiumes he seems to be on vacation on the field. I hope you’re right Mr. F-cake if your demands are met.

20. By CA Norwegian on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Steve Smith – I think this one is a great, but you may end up paying for the reputation and history, rather than what he can do now. I like to see bigger guys who can block, and be durable for the long season. I am hoping for doube TE sets with Kyle Rudolph and V. Shiancoe. I think this is the West Coast Friendly set to the young QB. That leaves two WR with one back, or three with an empty backfiled. Put the Sasser in the backfield and AP and Percy in patterns for max protect. I’d like to see Sasser rumble on dump offs and ring the corners bell a few times.

21. By CA Norwegian on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

QB Noite… if they do get a veteran in McNabb — It would be a strange encore to Cunningham — also made his career with the Eagles, and Brad Johnson who was the young smart QB from Florida State…

22. By CA Norwegian on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I’d like to see them spend more money on bonus incentives for blocking success. It was said Webb was going WR, when drafted. He is big strong, if he isn’t taking snaps, let him do what they said when drafted. You have a ton of GB or PITT linebackers after you… Lateral pass outside to Webb – run / Pass option from there… Or even an end around where they have to honor the arm and the leg… Sounds like some learning curve that is worth it.

23. By Frederick Jones on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

@Stoney:

Whut yo smokin’?

“Chaz and Mike are right about Birk.”

Pray tell HOW are they right about Birk, or was there a blog last week that I failed to read?

24. By Frederick Jones on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

People say I’m crazy rooting for Iron Childress.

Actually you do not understand, I am a backer of most coaches because of what I have been through as a coach.

Sometimes there is a political environment that you just cannot overcome. Many new head coaches do not understand this, and try to overcome the politics. But you usually can’t do it.

You have to go with the flow. :)

Young players are wrong time after time, and they ruin teams. That is why, friends, that Moss, Ocho, T.O., and so many others are not in demand inspite of being incredibly gifted.

“It’s a Coaches graveyard”

25. By tsl_tyson on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I want Randy back in purple. With that being said, I completely understand all the baggage that comes with Randy cause of everything that happened last year, so if the Vikings don’t offer him anything this summer I wouldn’t be suprised. But whatever team he does end up signing with is going to have a special year, at least offensively. He’s coming off his worst season since 2006 when he was with Oakland and that offseason they decided they didn’t want anything to do with him anymore, and the media made him out to be a plague!

26. By tsl_tyson on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

But New England still took a chance on him and I’d say that worked out pretty well. This offeason the media has done the same thing! And if there is anything I know about Randy Moss it’s that he’s a extremely emotional player/person who at times needs a little fuel to ignite the super freak in him, and i’m sure people will say he’s not what he used to be… which is true, but he still runs a sub 4.4 40, he still has a 45+ inch vertical, he’s still 6’4 and he still has some of the greatest hands the NFL has ever seen. So whichever team decides to take a chance on him, I believe will get at least one more SUPER FREAK season. Hopefully it’s the Vikes.

27. By Titus on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

You guys are funny, blogging while the NFL is on vacation, the stadium is not getting done, and the Vikings are moving to the beach. Wake up. All this talk of who will be our WR is absolute conjecture looking downward. The longer it takes to get any of this done, the more likely support will wane– time is running out for the Salt Lake City Vikings, er, I mean LA Vikings, er, I mean Portland Vikings, err, can anyone say baseball?

28. By Mike B on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred get off the childress horse He wasn’t a good Head Coach. I don’t say this as it is popular. I say it as it is the truth. He couldn’t get TJack to perform at a starting level, so he was requested to bring in Farve. Childress then put his coaching career on one player. He looked good the first year and got Chilly a nice fat contract. The second year not so good. The players were not responding to him even the QB that he had choosen to lead the team would not respond to him. Just flat out poor coaching. Not to mention the Moss debacle. You are backing the wrong horse again Fred.

29. By Mike B on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Titus not to lessen the need for a new stadium, but it is just as possible for the Wilf’s to sell the team to someone committed to keep the Vikings in Minneasota. The NFL has stated they don’t want to lose this market. This doesn’t mean it won’t, but it is very possible that the NFL will increase pressure on MN to build a stadium. Shopping the team around just may put the heat on that is needed. I am suspecting no stadium bill will happen until the lease is done that means the 2012 legislature. It will come down to the wire unfortunately.

30. By Rocksalt on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Titus makes some good points regarding the stadium.
    Fred- Childress needed to go. period. He lost the players…when that happens it is not good, and then the situation needs to be fixed. Isf someone is not the right fit for the organization, then they are let go. period.

31. By Frederick Jones on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike B. and Rocksalt,

You missed the point I was trying to make. It wasn’t about Childress.

Have either of you coached at the high school, or college level in any sport for more than ten years?

My guess is that neither of you has coached above the 8th grade level.

So you have not experienced sport politics yet, and chances are you never will.

You might know computers, business, exercise science, graphic arts, or a million other things. But you do not know what it feels like to be in the arena, where you could be G o d and not win the favor of the fans.

When you’ve coached, truly coached, then come back an pontificate to me that the head coach of any pro team is an idiot.

TOUGH TALK by you, will often bring back tough talk to ya! :) :) :)

32. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Fred, I have to agree with the others on this issue. The “you’ve never done it, so you’ll never understand” is a very convincing dodge, but it’s a dodge all the same. Try instead convincing us that ALL of the errors that are being attributed to Childress’ coaching ability were caused by other factors. There’s a lot of errors to answer for, and that is why I am not buying your argument. Sometimes the argument is probably true, but that doesn’t mean that it’s valid in this case.

33. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Back to the issue at hand, why was Moss not listed as one of the potential players in this blog? I have to assume that it was because Mike wanted the “oversight” to cause discussion, as it has. But I think that it’s rather unprofessional to omit such an obvious choice and fan favorite.

Personally, I’d still like to see Moss and Rice on the field at the same time, since we missed out on seeing that last year due to some poor coaching. The only real problem that would cause is that there will be too many big playmakers on the offense, potentially making a couple guys feel like they are not being utilized as much as they should be, due to their talent.

So a one-two punch of either Moss and Harvin, or Rice and Harvin would be great for the team. They’ll have two strong TEs and two great RBs to work with, along with a good list of 2nd tier WRs, leaving either pair wide open to tear apart defenses.

34. By K'net on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

My opinion, those names don’t inspire a lot of confidence. We’d better hope that Rice takes a contract with us, or hope Burton is the biggest steal in draft history (as long as he plays he will probably still turn out more productive than Greg Lewis was 90% of the time for us), or that the dude we picked up from Canada has a fantastic season, otherwise the pressure is all on our to-be-named QB, Peterson & Toby. BTW, anyone think we’ll see anything of Hank Baskett this coming season? I hope we’re keeping Camarillo, he payed whistle to whistle.

Moss, and Ocho have terrible attitudes, & taking an older guy that has been away from the league a couple years is a gamble. Maybe Steve would be alright, I guess.

35. By Mike B on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

I understand many would like Moss to retire a Viking, but it takes a special coach to deal with a playere like Moss, Ocho, and Owen. You need to ignore the hype that they feed on and coach them to produce. Childress didn’t want to deal with it and I am not sure Fraizer will want to either. I am not sure how Burress will be other than being very rusty and will demand at least league minium for his age. Rice is a priority to be resigned and hopefully the new CBA will allow this to happen. Being a coach has nothing to do with being a bad coach. Facts are Facts Childress was not a good head coach and politics are part of it. He’s gone and TJack will be gone time to get over it Fred. Maybe push more on the OLine or Webb at least you may have a chance to back a winning horse there.

36. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

After Moss’ behavior last year while with the team, I want nothing to do with Moss. He was a disaster, was disrespectful to members of the organization and was an average player with us. When he went to Tennessee, he was virtually useless as a player.

37. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

In that case Mike, shame on you. As a professional reporter, your desire personal preferences or opinions should be ignored with issues such as this one. The act pässes the impression that you believe your opinion is more valuable than any of your readers.

We come here to learn more about the team while discussing it with other fans. The learning comes from the team reporters who have more knowledge and contact with the team, but it cannot be truly achieved if the reporters choose to hide things from us due to their own grudges.

38. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

This is a blog, not a news headline spot. Blogs include opinions. Also, based on what happened last year, I don’t consider Moss as a possibility for the Vikings. If he’s not a possibility, I’m not going to talk about him.

39. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Until the coaches say something different, Moss is a possibility. You’re paid to write these blogs which people read to get some of their news about the team.

You can continue to try to defend it any way that you want, but it was an intentional omission to readers who continue to visit this site for its professionalism about the team and expect more out of the blogs than what you have provided in this one.

40. By Chilly4Life on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Childress gave Moss everything he needed to take Minnesota by storm once again. Childress was a great players’ coach and is well respected and loved throughout this great state because of it. Change in ’11. Childress = Super Bowl Rings

41. By 3DONTHERADIO on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Burress, Ocho, Moss? I think they’ve all proven, to different levels, that they can be cancerous to a team. Why we would want any of them as we turn the page with Leslie & try to undo the Childress debacle is beyond me. I’d rather see some young guys with talent and desire rather than these clowns who often make more headlines off the field then they do on it. Smith might be a better option, but certainly not as good as Rice. Signing him is priority I believe.

42. By 3DONTHERADIO on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Chilly4Life, there are treatment centers and rehab places for whatever it is you’re on.

43. By Titus on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike W– one thing I have admired about you is your professionalism under fire. I have personally been rough on you regarding your writing and reporting skills. You always kept your cool. Please keep that up– you seem to be coming apart. Plus, you never know — Moss may come back — and you will have to interview and speak with him– so be careful about expressing a bias one way or the other.
    Journalism use to be known for one overriding element (which is nearly impossible)– staying neutral.

44. By Shawn on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Has anyone mentioned Randy Moss? I think hes awesome ….

45. By Shawn on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

err Mossome

46. By Rudso on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

As much as I would love for Rice to sign a long extension with the Vikings to make Ponders job that much easier, I think the Vikings are much more prepared this season at the WR position.

We drafted the #1 best rated TE with Rudolf which I think was a very smart pick. He will block for AP and hopefully will become a security blanket for Ponder, much like Jason Witman (sp) is for Tony Romo. Shiamco is a vet who is a great catcher, I would like to remind everyone that diving TD catch he did vs. GB last season, which obviously was a TD.

We drafted Stephen Burton, picked up Juaquin Iglesias, and Emmanuel Arceneaux from the CFL who shows good skills in his playing footage. 1 of them is bound to step up and be a started if Rice leaves. Don’t forget about our little beast ROTY Percy Harvin.

Rice is a huge asset that will be very hard to replace due to his deep ball skills, but I think the Vikings will make it work with what they got.

47. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Titus – Blogs are not designed to be neutral. This is an arena where I can insert opinion, whereas the headlines section is where I must remain objective. If the Vikings decide to re-sign Moss and if Moss decides to come back, then I will have to deal with the bed I’ve made. I will always try to support what the Vikings do, so if Moss returns I will find a way to look on the bright side. But until that happens, I can only formulate an opinion based on my personal experience with him. And my personal experience with him did not leave a flattering impression of his personality. He treated people disrespectfully…people who were trying to help him or serve him or look out for his best interests.

Moss will go down as one of the best Vikings ever based on the first stage of his career. He was a fan favorite and it can be argued he changed the way the game is played; he certainly changed the way defenses played the Vikings. But with all of that said, he continually mistreated people while he was here in 2010 and that is why I don’t see him as an option for the Vikings.

Wherever Moss winds up, I wish him well. But in my opinion, he’s not a good fit for the Vikings at this point. And that’s why he wasn’t included in the latest blog entry regarding WR options for the Vikings this upcoming season. Of course things can always change, but as of right now, I don’t see him as an option for this team.

48. By Karl on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s been fun reading all of the comments on this blog. I’ve agreed with a lot of what has been said, except for Childress being a good coach and Moss being a good fit.

For the first time EVER, I found myself cheering for the Packers because of Childress. During that horrendous game in November, once it was clear we were going to lose, I wanted the Packers to pile on the points in the hopes that Childress would get fired. I have no doubt that Childress is a smart man, but as it’s been said, if you lose the players then you’ve already lost the team. None of his players seemingly wanted to fight for him to stay.

49. By Karl on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

As for Moss, do you guys remember when he got that pass interference called on his DB and the ball fell into the endzone what looked like 5 feet in front of him? I remember him watching him slow down as soon as the flag was thrown. A little more hustle and that would have been 6 points. Moss is too frustrating because he has all the talent in the world and he wastes it.

50. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall – If that’s the argument that you want to make, then you ought to allow commenting on the neutral headlines section and save the blogs for opinions only. From what I’ve seen, we’ve gotten much more headline material from the blogs than we have anywhere else on Vikings.com.

Regardless, you still COULD have listed Moss, knowing that many fans still want him, and then given your opinion rather than omitting him all together. On the same side of the coin, you talked about Plaxico Burress, having just been released from a twenty-something month prison sentence as a potential option. I would definitely argue any time that a convicted criminal brings more potential for trouble than a guy who speaks his mind but has been (more or less) on the good side of the law.

51. By woody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t Sims Walker a FA?

52. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody – I would gladly argue against your last point. You have not been in a locker room with Moss. Or at a press conference. Or at a meal in which Moss blasts the caterer in front of everyone to purposely dress him down. I have been there for all of that. And that’s why I feel the way I do about him not being a good fit for this organization.

Also, you can in fact comment on headline stories. Check it out. It’s a new feature on vikings.com.

53. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

So then what do you know of the players on the team who like Moss? I read somewhere that Percy Harvin was one of them and would love for him to be back on the team.

Who’s to say that Burress and Ochocinco are any better than Moss? I have heard a fair share of stories about each of them to argue that they are all in the same boat in consideration to your complaits about Moss, so it would make much more sense to treat them as such.

54. By vikings4life on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike i usually have great respect for you and still do i think Randy moss i hands down the best reciever on the free agent market if we can get Rice back. With randy we almost beat the three best teams in the nfl we did beat the packers but the game was stolen due to officiating, we had a great chance to beat the pats, Favre Nice, then we had a chance to beat the Jets and favre blew that randy was doing great and without him we would of been blown out people were all happy cause favre threw for a career high on a team that was horrid absolutley horrid and we went to OT? Moss like so many people like childress got the blame for things he never did, FOOTBALL IS ABOUT FOOTBALL ITS NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU EAT AFTER YOU PLAY FOOTBALL, RANDY CAN STILL CATCH CAN STILL BURN PEOPLE AND DESERVES A RING HERE FOR EVERYTHING HE DID PEOPLE NEED TO RESPECT THAT SO MUCH OF WHAT WE LOOK AT IS THE NOW THE NOW THE NOW BEFORE RANDY CAME HERE IN 99 WE WERE A JOKE. SINGLE HANDEDLY A RECIEVER HAS NEVER CHANGED THE GAME OR A TEAM THE WAY RANDY DID, AND PEOPLE GET MAD CAUSE HE IS REAL????

55. By vikings4life on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

MIke seriously this is unprofessional because if you cannot imagine what its like to be randy moss and actaully be in his shoes then you shouldnt be a writer about sports, tahts the beauty of sports is that when you get on the field all that matters is how you do you say moss was average???? in thos four games he played with us he had 3 touchdowns? everyone stated the vikings were better with him on the field because of his presense YOU even wrote about it. It is just like i would love to see how you would act when were ever you go there are people hating you, people youve never met never hurt never did anything, and at the same time there are those people who love you and praise you but they dont know you either so are you gonna be this fake person all the time and only be nice to people because you can see how the media manipulates words to make someone seem mean, Randy still gives season tickets away to innercity kids, he has a foundation for kids but yet you claim him to be so many negative things

56. By vikings4life on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Randy moss did more for the vikings then adrian peterson, brett favre, or any other modern vikings player. Randy his whole career has just told things how they are how he feels they are

57. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall – I have a follow up question. If the blog sites truly are reserved for opinions of the website’s media personnel, then why is there no disclaimer on the blog site that indicates this? In today’s world, we are all but forced to conclude that written opinions express the opinions of the organization that is being represented, unless a disclaimer expressly states otherwise.

58. By Titus on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike W, please. I realize I am twice your age and have been a writer much longer than you; however, you should be mature enough to know you are, in effect, the MC of this blog and also the main writer of articles on vikings.com. With that position, you need to keep a more unbiased framework than you are portraying.

By your logic, a role model for preschoolers can get drunk and dance on stage at a strip club when he is not at a school function. Mike W., you must maintain a level of professionalism no matter which forum, especially considering the blogs are written on the same site as the news articles.

Could you imagine Walter Cronkite reading the news to the viewers and then in the last 5 minutes of the news decide to relay his personal bias on each news story– and then justifying his emotional outburst by saying– this is not the headlines, this is my opinion piece?

59. By scott edwards on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

1998 wow this is why I want Moss back to finish What Cris Carter,and other Great Player lost out on A Super Bowl!!! We lost two games in 1998 season one to Tampa Bay and one to Alanta Falcons. The lowest points we scored that year was 24 and the most we lost by was 3. But i must say 1998 left a bitter Taste in my mouth as a fan. I think It did in Randy’s as well. Give him one more shot with are great team try and sign him.That is why the fans want Randy back. PLUS SOME OF US BOUGHT NEW JERSEY’S AND WOULD LIKE TO PULL THEM OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR A THIRD TIME!
    Moss and Carter had 29 tds that year that was nfl record for pair of wide receivers in 98 not sure if that still stands or not. Not to mention they made Randall Cunningham look like Tom Brady. Bring Moss back let him finish his Hall of Fame Career in Minnesota.

60. By scott edwards on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

One more thing! To any Republican or Democrats reading this. Balance your budget have your special session , and Build our Vikings A Stadium please!

61. By Carl K on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Vikings offered Vincent Jackson a 2 yr 18 million contract before last years trade dead line only to fail to satisfy the Chargers demands for compensation. What was the compensation the Chargers wanted last year?? Was it more than the franchise tag compensation they would get for Vincent Jackson this year?

If Rice is signed by another team, would the Vikings pursue VJ more aggressively this year?

Mike Wobs- What about TJ Houshmandzaden? The Vikings have flirted with him in the past as well.

62. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – I’d like to bring your analogy (a role model for preschoolers can get drunk and dance on stage at a strip club when he is not at a school function) closer to home.

A football player can talk to media and give his opinion (however bad it may be) about his current team, coaches and teammates any time that he’s not dressed in full pads.

In effect, Wobby is representing himself as the demon that he refused to acknowledge.

63. By Titus on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody, funny, very funny. I know. I never saw Mike lose his cool like this, even when we ripped apart his writing skills. There is truth in the wisdom that skills can be learned, but character is what sustains a man.

64. By Titus on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I must be slow tonight— In other words, you are saying Mike is behaving the way he accused Moss of behaving! Well, there is truth in the wisdom that every time you point a finger at someone, three fingers are pointing back at you.

65. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody and Titus – I appreciate the dialogue and debate here regarding Moss. Differing opinions on matters such as this makes for fun discussion. But I don’t understand how you can claim that I’m losing my cool or that I’m unprofessional. I have no problem with you disagreeing with my opinion, but attacking my integrity and professionalism is another thing. At no point during our discussion have I represented myself or my company in a bad light. Furthermore, I’ve expanded on my opinions in a respectful manner. I haven’t called to question your integrity.

To further expand my Moss opinion – yes, it’s an opinion – I’m telling you that based on my knowledge of the inner workings of the Vikings, Moss is not an option for the club at this point in time. Yes, we can all agree that he was an incredible talent with the Vikings. And we can all agree that he’ll forever have a special place in the history of this franchise. But that doesn’t mean anything right now. This discussion is about the options the Vikings have right now. And in my best judgment, Moss is not an option right now. If I’m wrong and Moss winds up in Minnesota for the 2011 season, I will apologize on this blog and acknowledge my mistake. I will also have to face Moss.

Again, I wish Moss all the best, wherever he plays next, in Minnesota or somewhere else. I have complete respect for his career and what he’s accomplished. You can argue that there’s never been a player like Moss. He took the NFL by storm in 1998 and continued to produce for several seasons. Then, when everyone had written him off, he had one of the best years a receiver has ever had (in New England). But for the 2011 season, I don’t see him as an option for the Vikings.

66. By Parody on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

MIke Wobschall – You have yet to explain why you are so certain that Moss does not stand a chance to return to MN, outside of describing your view of his character. Other players you mentioned have character problems very comparable to Moss, but they still received consideration.

If the fans were to choose among the options you provided and Moss, I would be surprised if Moss didn’t get a strong majority of the votes, due to his successful history with the team. Ziggi appears to be no stranger to generating the maximum possible income from his team, and Moss’ popularity here already would definitely create more cashflow than the other options.

So the question comes down to the coaches. How is Frazier’s relationship with Randy? Is Frazier capable of dealing with Moss and his personality? If not, then why should we expect that he can handle Ocho, Burress or Smith?

67. By tsl_tyson on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said on here Parody.

68. By Mike Wobschall on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Good points on Frazier’s relationship with Moss being an important factor. But again, the Vikings took a chance by re-acquiring Randy Moss this past season and it was a disaster. That’s why I don’t think he has a great chance of coming back here. The Vikings took a risk by bringing him back and it didn’t pay off. I think I’ve made it clear the multiple reasons I don’t consider him an option. Yes, the others listed in the blog also have character concerns. But those guys haven’t been here yet. Moss has been here twice, and the second time was not a great situation.

69. By Anthony on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

One name, one name only.

Future Hall of Fame WR who was the LEADING reciever on the BENGALS, NOT Ochocinco. His name?

Terrel Owens.

70. By Karl on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Oh my God, if we pick up Owens I might lose it. After the fiasco of everything that happened last year, can’t we have a drama free season this year? More than anything, that would be my argument about avoiding Owens, Moss, Ochocinco, or any other “problem” WR (whether the problem is real or simply perceived).

71. By Terri on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Hold onto Ray, and bring back RANDY MOSS, RANDY MOSS, RANDY MOSS…….

72. By Parody on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Mike, you have made it clear why you dislike Moss, but your personal feelings have no weight in the personnel decisions, which is why I was asking for more. I would be more satisfied if you wrote off all the players mentioned, because they all have character concerns, but writing off the only one you have had personal contact with is too short sighted.

The entire past season was a disaster. It could all have been bad energy fueling more bad energy. Besides, the third time’s the charm.

73. By Stoney on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

What’s wrong with Mike W. giving his opinion? He is a fan just like the rest of us. Plus this was one of the more lively blogs on here in a long time.

74. By James on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Bring R. MOSS back, we need just another threat with the new smart passing quarterback and Rice can go or stay, it wont make no difference cause we are a half of step from that trophy. It ain’t always better else where.

75. By Titus on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I was going to leave this alone, but you started to touch on something I was thinking— where is the analysis around Moss’ disastrous run last season? Is it due to Moss alone, or are there other factors? We know there was a lot that went wrong last season. I agree Moss has issues, but it seems many players do, and for that matter many bloggers– we all have issues! But how many of us can play like Moss and be a game changer?

76. By Karaguri on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

The answer it’s simple guys, SIGN SIDNEY RICE! we are clear that he is not the best receiver but under the right leader (I suggest we get McNabb to backup our rookie quarterback) he will be explosive and generate some pressure in our offense. I understand many people want our beloved Randy Moss to retire in Minnesota but if we can only have one, we should keep someone younger and productive!

77. By Erik on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Really guy? We didn’t offer Taylor enough? He’s been nothing more than an average #2 since going to chicago. Gehart has more than filled that role and will only improve if you ask me.

Now the sharper cut wasn’t a great one…neither was the loss of birk.

I wouldn’t mind having Plaxico in purple…but dear lord don’t let us sign Ochocinco

78. By paul on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

If you have a chance to pick up a player like Steve Smith, then you do it regardlesss of whether Rice stays or not. I like Rice and I’d love for him to have a long career as a Viking, but players come and players go. Seemingly with greater and greater frequency, thats the reality of the game and you don’t pass up talent when you can get it.

79. By Carl B on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Speilman’s priority needs to be to sign Sidney Rice because keeping him would give us a nice set of recievers. I’m also actually excited to see the reciever we signed from the Canadian Football league in the mix with Sidney,Percy,Greg,Freddie. We also need to get some pieces for the offensive line from free agency we have a good start on the future of the line and still have some serviceable pieces. Hopefully these guys that we drafted for the secondary maybe one of them can get a starting asssignment.

80. By vikingfan1955 on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

my choice’s would be either steve smith who reminds me more of chris carter with his catching ability. Then also oh co would be good for speed and I think a new team with a great back like ap comimg out of the backfield would boost his confidence.Plax has been out to long and some would say look at vick but vick has always been special and he still has young and strong legs and arms.

81. By Travis on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

No way to Moss, he is more of a liability and seriously, we’ll be the laughing stock of the NFL if we sign him for the 3rd time. I think Braylon Edwards would be a better pick, I’ve always liked him. If the Vikes can persue Edwards, Sharper or Bigby for SS, and Cromartie or Ike Taylor for CB in FA that would stack them immensely. And of course re-sign Rice, please don’t let him go

2. Jun 22, 2011: Vikings Blog | A Look At Ray Edwards And The DE Position «