Looking Back At The Top Five Plays In Metrodome History

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on June 13, 2011 – 7:54 am

Our friends over at NFL.com are preparing for an upcoming video feature they are doing that will look back at the top five plays in the history of the ten oldest stadiums in the NFL, which of course includes Mall of America Field at the H.H.H. Metrodome.  Over the past 30 years or so, there have certainly been many great moments that have happened at the Metrodome, and the NFL.com crew is looking for fans’ input on just what those five plays should be for the video piece on the Metrodome.

So Vikings fans, what are your choices?  Clearly Brett Favre’s game-winning touchdown pass to Greg Lewis in September of 2009 needs to be on that list, right?  And Randy Moss’ catch-then-lateral to Moe Williams for a touchdown in 2003 needs to be included too of course.  But what other plays do you think are “top five worthy?”

Let us know via the comments section below and we’ll get the answers over to the NFL.com gang.

Posted in All | 138 Comments »

138 Responses to “Looking Back At The Top Five Plays In Metrodome History”

1. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

This is from,

The group heading a $1.35 billion downtown facility proposed to be built in the L.A. Live complex — a multi-purpose-outdoor-sports-and-entertainment venue home to the Lakers and Kings — has been in contact with more than five teams in regards to its progress. AEG, the company that developed L.A. Live and the leader in the downtown effort, has targeted a September 2016 opening of Farmers Field, the corporate name of the proposed 72,000-seat stadium.

2. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Will there be any more great NFL plays in Minnesota, or will LA have the last laugh with the LA Lakers playing side by side the LA Vikings? How long Minnesota lawmakers do you think the Vikings will put up with your disrespect? It looks like it is good by Vikings, he-llo LA; a sad day it is going to be.

3. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

None of them, I do not like the H.H.H. Metrodome. Now if you had mentioned the old Met stadium, there were many plays.

4. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobs,

Those are 2 good choices …

How about Herschel Walkers first run as a Viking when his shoe flew off, tell me who wasnt thinking SuperBowl at that point ?

Of course it only took about 3-4 more games to realize the price was too high and another decade of Dallas super Bowls to rub it in … BUT THAT WAS A GREAT RUN

5. By MGM on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

How about CC’s 65 yard TD reception from Warren Moon in OT of Monday night football against the bears? This was 1994-1995-ish.

6. By pj on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

99 yard touchdown pass to berrian after a goal line stop against the bears on monday night

7. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

How about Randy Moss’s first TD catch …

Nevermind Randy Moss has opinions so hes not liked

8. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

good ones mgm and pj

9. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

its hard to remeber specific plays off the top of your head …

10. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

This news is from,

However, one big change will have to be made in the bill before the Legislature considers it, and that would be the elimination of the proposed income tax surcharge on the salaries of NFL players. Another type of tax will have to fund the stadium because NFL sources believe it’s illegal.

“The tax on the players is questionable,” Bagley said, “because the NFL has raised the concern that it may not be constitutional to tax one class of people, to single them out.”

11. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I agree Shawn; it is hard to recall a single play, How about that something we agree on.

12. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

LOL

13. By DRS on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Got togo, have a great day.

14. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

DRS we probably agree on several thing its just that the stadium issue is causing frusteration with all of us fans

15. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I agree the tax on players is absolutely bogus …. could we sign any free agents ? if they know in minnesota they have to pay for the stadium they are playing in?

16. By Rick on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

sidney rice jump ball catch over bills 2010

17. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I cant remember 1 single play but I remember Peterson fumbling late in a game against the P3ckers I think it was and then on the next drive he got the ball on 6or 7 plays of an 8 play drive and just looked possesed as he single handedly scored a game winner … it was NUTZ , I havent seen may players that could do what peterson did that drive he imposed his will on that defense and scored

18. By Chilly4Life on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

How about that play where Brad Childress (the man with the master plan) made the call to have AP run one more time to break the single game rushing record in his rookie season against the Chargers. Pretty smart call by a well respected and sincerely missed coach.

19. By prophet on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Brad Johnson’s TD pass to himself.

20. By Rick on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

November 4, 2007, Adrian Peterson entire day, ALL DAY. 3 TD 396 yds. nuff said

21. By Sean on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

McMahon…1993, With six seconds remaining, Eric Guliford gets wide open against Green Bay and hauls in a 45-yard pass from Vikings quarterback Jim McMahon. The play sets up Fuad Reveiz for a 22-yard game-winning field goal.
    Loved it!! We all piled on top of eachother in the tunnel, huge celebration.

22. By AHA on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

OH i know that one where that guy threw taht ball to teh otehr guy that was running and then he got 6 points

23. By Sean on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Also in 2007 Peterson sets an NFL record by rushing for 296 yards in a victory over San Diego.

24. By Sean on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Epic grudge match.. Vikings vs Slackers Oct 2009, Favre’s first game in Minni against the Slackers, ratings were higher then the superbowl, Vikings 30-23 victory on Monday night

25. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Sean? We all piled on in the tunnel? Salisbury?

26. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobs if we have a Viking top 5 on NFL network it must contain at least one of Cris Carters 1000 one handed TD catches …. o how the fish grows :)

27. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

grrrr not sure what i typed on a failed blog …. but it was something like

TELL THE NFL NETWORK WE FANS DECIDED ALL 5 OF OUR TOP PLAYS ARE CRIS CARTER CATCHES

GET HIM SOME PUBLICITY … MAKE THE STUPID HALL OF FAME VOTERS REMEMBER

CRIS CARTER WOULD BE IN THE HALL OF FAME 2 YEARS AGO IF INTELLIGENT PEOPLE SAT ON THE COMMITEE

28. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

THERE IS ONLY 1 WR YOU CAN TELL ME WAS BETTER THAN CRIS CARTER

JERRY RICE THATS IT ….

CRIS CARTER FOR HALL OF FAME … LETS MAKE NFL NETWORK REMEMBER THE TOP FIVE CARTER CATCHES

29. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Heres a play Carters 1000th catch was a TD against the giants … that should be fans choice as number one all time play

CRIS CARTER FOR HALL OF FAME

DO WHATS RIGHT

30. By Robot Fan on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

beep boop bee bop

cris carters 1000th catch … greatest play ever … greatest play in dome history … mike wobs tell nfl network thats our number 1 … carter for hall of fame … carter best reciever ever

beep boop bee bop

31. By Tony on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I believe it was Joey Browner picking off Harbaugh in the flat and scored. Ditka chewed on Harbaugh for like 10 mins or so while the Vikes went on to win. Now that was awesome!!!!!

32. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I wanted to list the Browns game where AP stopped to throw a defender 5-yards out of bounds on a 64 yard TD run, but then found the video and realized it was in Cleveland. Definitely one of the more memorable plays of the past 30-years though.

I agree that Carter deserves a few considerations for this list. I used to love seeing him extending himself with his toes planted just at the edge of the boundary markers while clinging onto the ball with his fingertips.

We’ve had some good receivers at the dome, but nobody made more impressive catches that Cris Carter.

33. By Mark Hermanson on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

The third connection to Sidney Rice in the Cowboys / Vikes divisional playoff game was clearly one of the best games of Brett Favre’s career…and a bonus…I was on a very lovely date with my lovely wife Jessica Hermanson.

34. By Titus on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I thought Carter’s 1000th catch was against Detroit. Anyway, there are so many choices– I remember some runs by Leroy Hoard that were impressive– one where his shoe flew off.

35. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Do all the plays have to be plays that went in favor of the home team? If not Anderson’s missed FG and Favre’s interception at the end of the 2009 Championship game should be considered.

36. By Robot Fan on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@titus yup your right … i just looked it up it was detroit

37. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

oops forgot to change name

38. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

o parody … i wouldnt consider those great plays those were the WORST PLAYS EVER

39. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I disagree Shawn. Go and ask Atlanta or New Orleans. I’m sure that their fanbases loved those plays!

40. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

But now I just realized that the Favre pick happened IN New Orleans….don’t know how I forgot to consider that….

41. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Titus I also thought of leroy hoard but couldnt remember a specific game or play, and I tried to remember a scottie graham run … I did remember a robert smith run where his shoe flew off but i looked it up on youtube and it was in green bay

42. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@Parody …. I just threw up in my mouth

43. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

err again i was wrong it was the steelers with the robert smith floppy sock … sorry hard to remember

great run though

44. By dmac32 on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

MGM, I remember the game. I think that it was a Thursday night game, though. I consider that to be CC’s greatest catch ever, because of what it meant. That single catch and run gave the Vikings the NFC Central title. Never known for his speed, I nearly woke my entire family cheering CC on to the score. I agree, Shawn. Carter should have been a first ballot HOF. I can make a case for him being the greatest WR of all time. Who were the QB’s Rice dealt with for the majority of his HOF career? Now list the QB’s Carter played with. Enough said.

45. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – Then don’t come kissing me anytime soon!

BTW _ how did you get that video to post on this site? I’ve tried a few different methods but haven’t figured out the trick yet.

46. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall can we vote on the greatest lambeau field plays? because this is the greatest play ever in lambeau ….

followed by the most digusting comment ever made by a football commentator … corporate suck up Joe Buck , what a dope

47. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … I copied link while the video was still playing

48. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

See Shawn? Now you’re in favor of picking plays that went in favor of the away team…

49. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@dmac … i agree with your logic and IMO Carter is the greatest ever but I will allow people to tell me Rice was because of how many more of everything he has catches yards and tds

but i will argue / fight toothe and nail if anybody tells me anyone other than carter or rice

50. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the tip. WHY it works doesn’t make sense, since the link doesn’t change while the video is playing…but I’m happy all the same that I know HOW to make it happen now.

Don’t be surprised if you see a lot more videos on this site because of it!

51. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

lol im in favor of every viking play as long as they are the MN Vikings they could play a game on the moon and have the best play

52. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU CANT LOVE THIS GUY

ONE OF THE BEST RECIEVERS EVER AND WE GAVE HIM UP 2X

NO WONDER WE ARE ABOUT TO LOSE OUR TEAM WE DONT KNOW GREATNESS WHEN WE HAVE IT

53. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Check out this video – off topic, but you’ll love it

54. By dmac32 on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

55. By dmac32 on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNQHGAWV4Vw&w=425&h=349%5D

56. By Blowfishes on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

The best play at the Dome wasn’t made by the Vikings… it was Tony Dorsett of the Dallas Cowboys when he scored a 99 yard rushing touchdown on January 3, 1983.

I also love the rushing touchdown scored by the Vikings against the Bears where we lined up in the old Jumbo formation with Randall McDaniel playing in the backfield and he totally destroyed Mike Singletary at the line of scrimmage. The shocked look on Singletary’s face was a joy to behold!

57. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

grr blowfishes how can you say that nightmare run is the greatest play in viking history unless you hate the vikings

58. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Wow, if we’re talking about the best plays at the dome regardless of team, this one HAS to be at the top

59. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall please put Parody on a 5 day block he obviously isnt getting the idea of best plays … he just made me throw up again

60. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

OK I have just researched it … Mike Wobschall tell the NFL network the best we could do is the top 1004 plays … here they are

1004 … Cris Carters 90th catch
    1003 ,,, Cris Carters 91st catch
    1002 … Cris Carters 92nd catch

3 … Cris carters 1002nd catch
    2 … Cris Carters 1003rd catch
    1 … Cris Carters 1004th catch

hopefully you can fill in the blanks , should be obvious

Cris Carter for Hall of Fame

61. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

on another note … i think we must have broke the all time blog post without a fred post record

62. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Come on Shawn, you gotta admit that if you flipped the uniforms around on that play it would be your favorite hands down!

It doesn’t hurt to try looking at things from a different perspective every now and then. Heck, how many of us hated Favre for the first 16-years of his career? We all had to change our perspective of him once he joined the Vikings and learned that he was pretty different from the Packer image we had of him.

63. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – LOL, all time for this offseason anyways.

64. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

uhh yea parody what if reps and dems got along?

what if there were no hypothetical situations?

65. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

All he does is catch touchdowns:

66. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

A lot of good clips in that video to consider for the vote

67. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

“If I had to jump out of a burning building, I would hope that Cris Carter was there to catch me!”

Cris Carter is the #3 player not yet in the Hall of Fame…makes you wonder who are the two who sit in front of him…especially after hearing all the guys speaking about how baffled they are that he ISN’T in the HOF yet.

68. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

yea parody thats a great clip and brings back memories Carter is AWESOME and if he doesnt get into the ” Hall of Fame ” next year they need to rename it to ” Super Bowl Apperance Hall of Fame ” because thats what them jacka$$’s are penalizing him for and its ridiculous

69. By Ootsa Jimmy on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

the time the roof collapsed, that’s the best one

70. By Parody on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

They’re asking for best plays Ootsa, not best James Cameron videos.

71. By Al W on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

How about one of Herschels first carries after the blockbuster. He ran out of his shoe.

72. By Al W on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Last second pass by Moon to Qadry Ismail when he led a 4th quarter final drive. Hassan Jones hail mary catch into field goal range when Karlis hit his last of 7 field goals. Merriweathers Blocked punt to win that game in OT.

73. By CA Norwegian on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

@Parody
    Brett Favre was who I thought he was!!!, and I am not going to let him off the hook!! [for blowing off camp! ]

I think there must have been a D, play like a Sharper pick 6 or Allen return that might be considered. The AP TD against Cleveland in Cleveland should run first at his exhibit in the HOF. Followed by him running over the Pitt secondary and stomping one. My two favorites. He is money if we can get receivers who will block first, catch second. I’d like to see him rested with a longer season, so Toby and Percy should share quality backfield time.

74. By Shawn on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb is bad a$$

75. By Chuck on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

How about Brad Johnson’s touchdown pass to himself, I believe it is still the only time a qb has thrown a touchdown pass to himself. I was there, it was my bachelor party.

76. By Khelben5 on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

How about the goalline stand by the defense, followed by the bomb to Berrian against Chicago?

77. By danj on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike Merriweathers 99yd pick 6 against da bears, or the fumble by then packer Favre that resulted in 6 for the Vikes. Jarred Allens TD was just as sweet, AC caught a pass against the niners, everyone thought he was down, except AC an the referee, or the Moss vs Owens showdown at the dome that was so lopsided national tv went to a more”competetive Game” and left owens crying on the bench.

78. By Luke on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I think one of the most memorable games has to be the Ditka meltdown on the sideline, when the Bears blew a 19-0 lead heading into the 4th quarter. Harbaugh changed the call in an audible only to throw a pick the Vikes took to the house. Ditka always hated playing in the dome & that was a classic….

79. By Titus on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey everyone, Titus is in the house!

First, let me point out that Mike did not post this blog– easy mistake– I have done it often– both writers have the same quality of reporting.

That said, when I first read this I wondered why Favre was an automatic placement– you have 5 spots in 30 years– seriously, let us not make a rash judgment.

Also, I am uncertain as to what the criteria are for selecting the plays– does it have to be by the home team? In fact, I would think one of the greatest plays in the metrodome might be from the only Superbowl that was hosted there– Redskins and Bills.

80. By Linkio on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I think Gary Anderson’s missed FG in the 1998 NFC Championship game needs to be mentioned. Most shocking missed FG in NFL history.

81. By sean on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

@ Linkio…not really. Norwood missing in the superbowl for the Bills would go that far. Lets think of positive events, there have been so many great moments.

82. By Bob on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I know it is more than a play, but you have to include Peterson’s record breaking single game total yardage against the chargers.

83. By WIvikefan on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I vote for Joey Browner’s horse collar tackle on Gerlad Wilhite of the Broncos at around the 1 yard line when it looked like Wilhite had an easy touchdown. Browner was incredibly strong and proved it on that one play, Wilhite was in full stride and Browner stopped him right in his tracks and I believe he even broke Wilhite’s leg.

84. By Frederick Jones on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Gary Larson……

The Purple People Eaters Defense became an offense, and returned many fumbles, and interceptions for touchdowns, in the snow at Metropolitan Stadium.

At least one of those plays has to be in the top five, or it’s just sick.

85. By Frederick Jones on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

It would be very easy to find a catch by Cris Carter that is in the top five.

Ahmad Rashad’s backwards running catch to win the 1980 Central Division title versus the Browns, is certainly in the top ten.

86. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Frederick, stay on course, my friend. The question is– what are the five best plays in Metrodome history. Could we include one from a Monster Truck pull?

87. By Blowfishes on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Re: Shawn

C’mon… you have to give credit where credit is due. That’s what separates Viking fans apart from all reptiles, invertebrate (see Packer Fans), and lung fish.

The Dorsett run was a master class and the first ever 99 yard run in League history. And the NFL network asked for the 5 best plays the the stadium’s history, not just the Vikings…

88. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I still don’t see the logic of Ryan who wrote this blog in his picks of greatest plays– he chose two that he said must be in the list. So, that we leaves us to choose three plays from 30 years of football, including the 1992 Superbowl.

89. By DieHardVike on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

How about Berrians 99 yard touchdown catch from Gus Frerotte against the bears to seal the division title for the vikings? That was after the vikings defense stuffed the bears 4 straight plays from the 1 yard line. Was one of the greatest plays i can remember.

90. By CA Norwegian on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick Jones
    I agree except… Did they ever play in the dome? That is the framework of the question.

91. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Oh, Titus is sloppy today.

92. By CA Norwegian on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

The Tony D. 99 yard run was not so great, it was a defensive gamble to try for the safety, and the speedster found a crease. The 110 yard return was great because of the difficulty of the catch in bounds + 110 yards + it was a 9 point turnaround, missed FG + TD in one play. It was not great because of such poor coverage on the part of a sleeping kick team. The D scoring plays are greatest because of the 12 point turnaround possible in one play … Minus six for the “O” plus six for the D. Who had endzone or redzone pick 6′s?

93. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

We have only three picks because the great journalism behind vikings.com already selected two– according to the above article. If we are to choose, it would be best we are all in agreement as to the criteria of what is worthy.
    Seriously, 5 plays out of 30 some years of playing? We need some order.

94. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

May I suggest that the play have at least one of the following criteria– many of you are more well-versed in the game of football than I — but here is a start.

First, of course, the play must be from a game in the dome– not at the met, and not an away game–

Secondly, the play could be one that was pivotal in the outcome of the season, i.e.– a spark that turned a mediocre season into a winning one, with a streak that resulted in a playoff appearance.

Third, a record-breaking play for a team or individual such as when Cris Carter caught his 1,000th catch against Detroit.

Fourth, an unusual once in a lifetime type of play, such as when Brad Johnson passed to himself for a TD return.

Fifth, a play in the playoffs that was dynamic, superhuman or just beyond belief in athleticism.

And do we include all plays by any team as long as the game was in the dome? If so, then this would include the Superbowl of 1992. I am not trying to set any rules– like I said many of you know the game better than me, but I suggest we have some parameters to ensure we truly do find the best plays.

95. By Parody on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Sloppy sloppy Titus.

yes, I agree that the paramaters need to be defined and limited. As we have displayed, there are far too many plays to choose from and too much speculation has occurred from our interpretations of the original message.

I think, beyond the rules that you already listed, the selected plays should be required to be plays only by the Vikings, and plays that fell in favor of the team. This would eliminate such options as Anderson’s missed FG in the playoffs, and the field goal that fell short and was returned 109+ yards for a TD.

There still are plenty of plays to choose from, and these rules should help to meet what I believe is the true intent of the video.

With that said, I don’t think that we should accept the two plays that were listed by Ryan Cardinal as automatically in the list. I think it would be much more interesting of a large list of potential plays were compiled and then decided upon by a vote from the experts and the fans.

96. By Frederick Jones on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Well exccccuuuuussee meeeeeeee!

Alrighty then…I made a mistake.

97. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Parody, I was referring to my earlier blog, though. Speaking of sloppy, my main contention with the writing on vikings.com is the wordiness, which makes for tedious reading. I think Ryan and Mike are the same; they both are long winded and have identical writing styles. For example, I took Ryan’s opening paragraph , kept the exact syntax and cut half the words– and actually gave more clarity to the content.

ORIGINAL:

REVISED:

Our friends at NFL.com are preparing a video that will feature the top five plays for each of the ten oldest stadiums in the NFL, which includes our own H.H.H. Metrodome.

AS you can see– I made sure the sentence makes it clear that there are 5 plays for each stadium, which was unclear in the original. Also, as a good journalist, I did NOT mention Mall of America field, because the only constant in the history of the stadium is the name, H.H.H. Metrodome.

98. By Parody on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

To be fair though Titus, these men work for the Vikings and as such I believe they are required to mention the Mall of America any time they mention the Metrodome.

It annoys me too, as I simply prefer Metrodome (H.H.H. Metrodome is too much for me), but those who pay the money have the right to require those who they’re paying to make the money count.

99. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

My point though Parody, is that the voting is for the 30 years of the stadium’s history– and the field has been called Mall of America for how long?
    Besides, you can see how wordy they are– it’s like listening to someone ramble on for an hour when they could tell you the same thing in 20 minutes. Take the word “certainly” out of his second sentence– stronger that way, more declarative. Okay, I better use my time more wisely– later.

100. By Shawn on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Well I agree with Ryan on the Favre to Greg Lewis play and it meets your ideas for the most part …

In the Metrodome history Favre had 1 of the top 5 seasons as a QB that year and it was a game winning 50ish yard pass to keep us undefeated

Favre got leveled right as he released and Greg Lewis haad an amazing toe tap cacth in the back of the endzone.

101. By Shawn on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Also I am a vikings fan so there is absolutely no way i see the tony dorsett 99 yard run as a good play … to suggest gary anderson missing a field goal is a good play is blasphemic

i remember that game it was as heart breaking a loss as a football game as a football game could be … so i dont get the joke

I AM A VIKINGS FAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

102. By Shawn on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

THE GARY ANDERSON MISSED FIELD GOAL AND DARREN NELSO DROPPING THE TD CATCH AGAINST THE SKINS IN 87 I THINK IT WAS AND FAVRES INT IN NEW ORLEANS ARE THE WORST PLAYS IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL

TO ME … A VIKINGS FAN

103. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Please Shawn, don’t remind me– I about to eat.

104. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m about to eat I meant to say– boy, am I sloppy today. No wonder I stayed home.

105. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

What about the “hail Mary” to Drew Pearaon, with no offense interference called.

106. By sandiamond on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Don’t forget Chris Carter’s fingernail catches on the sideline. Many good ones…

107. By Mike on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

AP 296 Yards

Favre to Lewis

1986 Tommy Kramer throws 4 TDs in the First Quarter and ends up with a total of 6 TDs against GREEN BAY!

2009-2010 Win against Dallas who everyone thought was going to blow past the Vikings and possibly beat the Saints to go to the Super Bowl.

108. By sandiamond on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss td lat touchdown video can someone post. Card’s pic

109. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Sue G– that was clearly not in the Metrodome. Besides, not a great play by Vikings’ standards.

110. By Titus on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I agree on that Dallas playoff game two seasons ago– there was a play where Favre lept away from a defender who ripped at Favre’s shoulder pad and then Favre threw a TD pass to Rice– it made it 14-3 late in the second quarter– that seemed to change the momentum for good in that game– prior to that Dallas scored their only points and Dallas had been moving the ball well, but that Favre pass with his elusive move changed the course of that game– so we could go to New Orleans.

111. By Brandon Lawhead on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Anthony Carter – catch in mid-air while falling vs. Green Bay Packers, circa 1990, throw from Rich Gannon on flea flicker;

Anthony Carter – TD vs San Francisco 1992. Everybody thought he was down, including the 49ers, but he amazingly kept himself from touching the turf though he was vertical after being hit.

Cris Carter -one handeded sideline catch – take your pick

Randy Moss – Moe Williams pitch

Favre to Lewis 2009

Favre to Shiancoe 2010

112. By Brandon Lawhead on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Correction – Anthony Carter – flea flicker from Gannon to AC vs. Packers 12-21-1991

113. By Parody on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

How about this play?

Not in the dome, but it looks like it happened in MN anyways…

114. By Michael on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

How about Anthony Carters run against the 49ers where he is hit, body looks like it completely folds in half but his knees somehow never touch the ground and he runs it in for a TD. Man, I miss that guy, he was a great receiver !!!

115. By Shawn on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

hahah great clip parody

and nice to see people remembering some AC plays … he was my fav reciever b4 CC

116. By Shawn on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

********** disguising myself as Fred ***************

Remember that block Korey Stringer had on the bears DE in 97?

my top 5

1- Randall Mcdaniel great block ’89
    2- Matt Birk great block ’00
    3- Korey Stringer great block ’97
    4 – Gary Zimmerman great Block ’89
    5- Steve Hutchinson great block ’08

117. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

Did anybody else notice in that last clip that I posted that it doesn’t look like anybody cares about Favre at all? It starts with about 5-guys standing around him, then as soon as it happens they all walk away. Joe Webb traces across the screen looking like he didn’t even notice Favre went to the ground and then a coach walks past and it LOOKS like he’s laughing his head off at the old man!

Anywhere else, if a feeble old man falls to the ground, everybody drops what they’re doing to check it out and make sure the guy’s alright…or at least see if there’s anything in his wallet. Not for the Iron Man though! Nobody even sticks around to tell him to walk it off!

Welcome back to MN Brett, maybe it wasn’t such a great idea to skip out on practice!

118. By Shawn on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … I dont know about that , I would say they were all like hahahaha keep in mind football players are just big kids playing the game they love

119. By Darrell on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

One of the greatest plays in the Metrodome for me was the Oct 2, 1992 Bears game where we were down 20-0 in the 4th, Harbaugh throws a pick six to Darnay Scott and Ditka has a meltdown! The Vikes go on to win the game 21-20 but the real significance is that was the beginning of the end of the Ditka era. He gets fired at the end of the year and the Bears are never really fierce again…It was great!!!

120. By the beav on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

99 and 1/2 (dorsett) MNF ps we won

121. By aj on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

what about jared allen forcing the qb out of the back of the endzone!!! that was helarious

122. By aj on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

all day rushing record.. or his 80yrd run in 2010

123. By nightbush on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

DRS
    All I can say is shut up idiot

124. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

How about Allen’s sacks #50 and 50.5 in back-to-back plays against Sage Rosenfels to finish the Texans’ hopes of tying the game?

A lot of lead in time looking at Shiancoe’s back…but it gets good about half-way through, I SWEAR!

125. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

and here’s that Allen Safety you were asking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGs1VuT6FEw

126. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

And another one on ARod, just cause it’s so fun watching a Packer fall down in the wrong endzone!

127. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

One more try on that Allen scaring Orlovsky out of the endzone…

128. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

And I know this one’s not at the dome, but how often do you get to see a d-lineman grab a pick-6?

129. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

At least it was at A dome, and one that just happened to be our homefiled for one game in the Metrodome era!

130. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

I guess it happens more often than I thought. Here’s K-dub returning one all the way against ATL.

131. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

*IN* the Metrodome

132. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

And we have Antoine Winfield getting one in the same game:

133. By Parody on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

This one would be automatic, but it happened in Philly!

Sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery and TD – all by Winfield.

134. By MGR4FUN on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

i was very impressed when #28 caught his first pass in the “NFL” … the interceptions for td’s by #69 & #93 … the sack of the cheesehead for a safety by #69 … that is four “but” hands down the day that #28 hung 296 against the chargers best game ever (gr8 o-line) proved adrian is “ALL-DAY” … http://youtu.be/247YxJUmSFA … i might also say i would vote for the best five plays … PURPLE D holds the bears four times from the one and on the very next play 99 yards to #87 for 7 , that was best five back to back plays … IMHO

135. By MGR4FUN on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

my bad the int by #69 for a td was in detroit not in the dome so my other pick would be #17s very first catch as a member of the purple … i was there for the game and it was crazy wild after the play … http://youtu.be/pgxSzxIxPrY … i was also at the bears game for the 99 yd td was as loud as i can remember hearin the dome for five plays in a row … the dome is like no other place on the planet when the purple are on the field!!!!

136. By Dik on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

This isn’t a Viking play, but Tony Dorsett’s 99 yard touchdown run HAS TO BE included in this list. It’s an all time record, and although it was the visiting team, it’s still one of the greatest plays in NFL history.

137. By Kenp on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Darrin Nelson game winning touchdown vs. Cowboys Thanksgiving day

138. By Dave on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

how about when ap trucked al harris so bad that was hilarious