3rd Annual Media Challenge Golf Event A Success

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 9, 2011 – 8:21 am

Congrats to Vikings Director of Public Relations Bob Hagan and his staff for another successful media challenge golf tournament at Rush Creek Golf Club in Maple Grove. This year’s event was the 3rd annual and once again served as a precursor to the Vikings Children’s Fund Golf Tournament, held every year in June at Rush Creek.

The media challenge was in a scramble format and featured 12 teams. Unfortunately, the Vikings Entertainment Network team was unable to defend its title (that’s okay because technically we aren’t allowed to win anyway). There was actually a tie for 1st place, with the AM 1130 KFAN team and the Fox Sports North team both registering a score of 5 under par.

The VCF tournament followed immediately after the media challenge and that event, headed up by VCF Director Patrick Leopold, was also another success. We’ll have more from the VCF tournament, including video highlights, later this week.

11 Responses to “3rd Annual Media Challenge Golf Event A Success”

1. By Frederick Jones on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

Even with what Shawn has said about contracted weight-limits there is still evidence of inaccuracies in roster statistics in the NFL.

Hey if I have a guy 6’1.5 and 288, why not round him up to 6’2″ 300? Then to make it look legit, the next guy is listed at 6’4″ 298′.

They often say that small players are shorter than listed.

And if I think a guy is 220, that has an impact on my brain. He becomes harder for me to tackle than if they listed him at his true weight of 207.

2. By Frederick Jones on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

If Vikings.com won’t take your blog, go to the next one.

I don’t think it’s just swearing it rejects.

3. By Shawn on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

Fred what I will agree with you on is that the only absolute is if your born you will die … so we are both probably right some very accurate and some possibly not

Also I would think they are for sure accurate at the scouting combine because they stand in front of every team coach and scout and media getting their measurements …

But if memory serves me right we had a couple very undersized players in John Randle and Randall McDaniel ( who is the reason I wore 64 ) … maybe the program added a few pounds to their weights IDK

4. By Titus on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

Fred, if I am in the system and I weigh 207 and I know they list me as 220, then everyone in the system realizes this embellishment is going on– so I disagree with your logic that the “added” weight would mess with an opposing player’s mental faculties– maybe the opposite. Oh, the guy across from me is listed at 310, but I bet he is only 275.

5. By CA Norwegian on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

I have no doubt there are some roundings more than the pancakes deliver. But I have been in the company of hugelings in hotels where I have walked the halls with teams. Even the undersized guys are big. Lets not forget that Shiancoe and Kyle, perhaps AP, Kleinsasser, Tahi or D’Imperio should be out there blocking too… And if I had my way Web and Plaxico Burress would be throwing downfield blocks too. One way to cut down on turnovers is to put the corners and safeties on their behinds with downfiield blocks, I am pretty sure those guys can deliver some wood to the defensive backs. It helps the effort if they can ring these guys bells, then go into hurry up post patterns.

6. By Titus on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

CA– I am with you there– I have been in many player’s rooms when I worked at hotels in the past– I am just shy of 6 feet and I felt like a child standing next to them, as they signed the bill for their room service. They are HUGE.

7. By Titus on Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

Original Vikings– Paul Dic-kson died. Guess you cannot even say his name– a legend of Vikings history, but this site only sees the word up to son, and then it demeans his legacy. This site is too much. You can be rude toward others and even fake their username, but you cannot say b-a-l-l-s on a football site.

8. By Parody on Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

There’s a LONG list of letter combinations that this site blocks without telling us about them. Yet, there are simple ways around the blocking (as Titus has demonstrated) if you know the combinations that are blocked.

I’ve petitioned Mike to at least have a list of the blocked words posted somewhere, but he refuses to reply.

Another change could be to adjust the code to only block the word instead of blocking any letter combination with it built in (such as only blocking Hømo, while allowing sophómore). This could be done easily by adding a space in before each blocked word, (BLOCK: ” ásses” instead of BLOCK: “ásses”). That way we could still use common words like pásses and clásses without the headaches that some halfwit programmer sends our way.

9. By Frederick Jones on Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

How do you put ‘ on top of a letter?

Then the next time we argue I can get my “enthusiastic” comments off more efficiently ! :)

10. By Frederick Jones on Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

It may be true that most players would not regard a 220 pound player as actually 220 pounds. That is my point. And I think it is done.

Hopefully most coaches realize that it is a silly plan, and won’t work.

Who cares if I’m 6’0″ 250′ or 6′ 0″ 235, if I can’t play?

11. By Frederick Jones on Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn,

Lying about player weight in high school definitely happened in the 1970s and 1980s in Minnesota. FOR SURE.

Maybe most coaches are smarter about it, and don’t do it any more.

But, you have to admit that most Offensive Linemen are listed between 300 and 325, with few exceptions. It seems that there should be more variation.