Vikings To Pitch And Catch In Florida?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 17, 2011 – 10:14 am

A lot of you have asked either in email to me or in the comments section below news articles and blogs about Vikings players participating in any player-organized workouts. Because I can’t interact with players during the work stoppage, I don’t have an idea of whether or not these workouts are happening with respect to Vikings players.

But according to St. Paul Press writer Jeremy Fowler, who covers the Vikings beat, QB Christian Ponder is going to get together with WRs Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice for workouts in Florida. It sounds like Ponder and Harvin had planned to get together and when Rice caught wind of that, he wanted to participate as well. That’s a good sign, right?

To be honest, I’m not sure there’s much value in large groups of players – offense and defense – getting together for organized workouts during a time of work stoppage. But, I can see the value of QBs and WRs/TEs getting together, especially if those players have never been on the field together.

This is a sensative topic for us to touch because of the work stoppage, so we’ll stop at that for now. But I thought you’d at least be interested in the update.

Tags: , ,

118 Responses to “Vikings To Pitch And Catch In Florida?”

1. By GOLDVIKE on May 17, 2011 | Reply

GO VIKINGS!!!!!!

2. By Touchdown on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Awesome@!!!!!
    Stay with us Sidney!!!!!!!

3. By no1vikingsfan on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Yes! I think that is a good sign and good news for us, hopefully they can carry that right in to the football season and hopefully some of the others that Ponder will be tossing the ball to will get involved as well.

4. By Carl K on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Ponder has a play book and he is working out with Harvin and Rice. That has significant value. I am sure it will be worth every penny the Vikings spent to fly Ponder to Winter Park (when the lockout was lifted) to give him what he needs to drive this thing. Ponder got a huge break by having the lockout briefly lifted. He is a smart kid with good character and leadership skills. Ponder will make the most of this opportunity.

5. By Bigfan1 on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I hope we have a season this year.

6. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

It is most definitely beneficial for members of a team, regardless of size, to comet together as a group to build chemistry– the most important single element to a team’s success. You can have all the superstars in history together, but if they are not in synch as far as physical logistics of the game and more importantly in mind and spirit, they will never win a championship. So, it is very good. This gathering also speaks of the desire of the individuals to win. Great news.

7. By Touchdown on May 17, 2011 | Reply

What’s to Ponder? Sign Sidney Back!!!!!

8. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

* come

9. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

10. By Touchdown on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Vikings 31 Packers 27

The Packers are used to losing in Minnesota. They pack their bags before they even get here!!!!!

11. By tman on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Do veteran members of a team carry their own playbooks? Can they share them with others? If not, then at least Percy and Sidney can share their favorite routes.

12. By Touchdown on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Just got word that Goodell said the NFL is going to help the Vikings with their stadium.
    lets hope he sticks to his word.

13. By derek on May 17, 2011 | Reply

GET RICE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By Carl K on May 17, 2011 | Reply

tman- play books are guarded very closely and turned back in at the end of each year. You do not share them.

Because we have a new offense and a new coaching staff (and because of the lockout), it is my guess that Ponder might be the first and only Viking pl@yer to get a glimps of the new offense at this point.

When AP and Shancoe head to Florida, you will know Ponder has a good grasp of the new Viking offense and he is doing more than pl@ying pitch and catch.

15. By Parody on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Even though we’ve been hearing news of vets working out with players regardless of what team they’re on (i.e. AP and V.Young), I definitely agree that it is very promising news to hear that Rice is practicing with the two players he would have the most contact with if he remained on the team. It tells me that he wants to come back and make a big splash in purple this year, but it’s no guarantee. The team will still need to offer him a respectable contract with all the other teams that are showing interest.

It would be nice to hear that Shiancoe and Rudolph will be joining the practice sometime soon too. If Ponder can get a good feel and chemistry going with his top-4 targets, it will go a long way into preparing him for the season.

16. By Parody on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I was listening to the radio this afternoon and heard that the previous stipends provided by the NFL for a new stadium were somewhere around $100M-$150M. That should go a long ways in convincing the state legislation to vote yes for a stadium. Hopefully they’ll grow some intelligence and vote yes on the issue before it’s too late. TIME’S RUNNING OUT!

17. By 69VikingMike on May 17, 2011 | Reply

They need Webb, Shiancoe, Rookie Rudolph, Rookie Burton, and the rest of the wideouts, all running backs and all corners and safties because we know they really need the work.

18. By 69VikingMike on May 17, 2011 | Reply

@Titus, I agree 100%, BUILD THAT CHEMISTRY!!!!! SKOL VIKING NATION!!!!!!!!!

19. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Minneapolis-St. Paul always wants to portray the image of a big cosmopolitan city– and I love a lot about the area- don’t get me wrong- but I have been in world-class alpha cities– sometimes, I see us as little more than a glorified Omaha (no offense to Nebraska) —
    This stadium seems first class from the little I see— It would definitely be one more piece of a puzzle towards greatness– heck, maybe it could help get an Olympics someday– oops, nah, don’t want to dream too big– maybe we better vote for another bubble dome and save some money — after all we need more social programs and to save for snow plowing.
    WAKE UP and pass this bill or get one in place immediately that has the same level of greatness– if you cannot come up with a better plan, then approve it. Many people will benefit — jobs in construction, hotels, restaurants, stores, transportation, etc– not to mention residual effects of tourism in general just because the cities edged up their status.

20. By Aceviking on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Way to be a leader, Ponder!!!!

21. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

@ R o c k s a l t

22. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

The things that happened to that Detroit Lions Offensive Line you would not believe even if I could remember them. (or if Vikings.com would let me print them …lol)

23. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

If you had watched all the games I saw Barry Sanders play, you would understand why he became Barely Sanders.

He may very well have been the best of all time, but we will never know it because that was a bad line after the death to one guy, paralysis to another, nasty career ending injuries to others, and other ssstuff that I don’t recall.

They lost their ENTIRE line to injuries that particular year, and I don’t recall any of them coming back to play again!

24. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Sure, yes he gained over a 1000, but watch the tapes. Incredibly athletic moves to gain 1 yard sometimes. Barry Sanders, Barely Sanders, and it was not his fault.

ROCK,

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT FOR PETE?

Personally, I’ll take the 2300 yard season with a great offensive line.

25. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, Fred, you are right– Barry would scramble like crazy to get yards. How many Superbowls did they win? Appear in?
    That’s right.

26. By Carl K on May 17, 2011 | Reply

The one thing that the Vikings have done better than any other NFL team since 1967 is produce Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. 5 times!

1973 – Chuck Foreman
    1976 – Sammy White
    1998 – Randy Moss
    2007 – Adrian Peterson
    2009 – Percy Harvin

C. Ponders has an 18/1 odds of winning the 2011 Rookie of the Year! Ponder is among the top 13 favorites. Kyle Rudolph also cracked the top 20 in odds to win ROY. LETS BRING IT HOME AGIAN!

27. By Rocksalt on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Fred-
    I want only the best for Adrian,,,just pointing out your (IMO) fallacy in assuming a running back cannot get 1000 yds behind a poor OLine- heck Adrian did it last year, and our line was pourous

28. By Rocksalt on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    I agree with your plea to get this stadium deal done, howver I fear there are these penny smart, opound follish zealots who will oppose any public monies to be used on this.

29. By Rocksalt on May 17, 2011 | Reply

foolish, not follish

30. By Rocksalt on May 17, 2011 | Reply

typing too fast….sorry for the errors

31. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I remember the different plans for a stadium way back and how appalled I was– almost sick– when the state was so happy they chose the “cheap” metrodome design– never liked it. Pay less at the start– pay more in the long run. This Arden Hills proposal reminds me of what Dallas has– although I could be wrong– I briefly looked at the plans.

32. By Mike B on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think those that don’t want this stadium proposal see what they are losing. The Vikings are not tied to Minneasota in anyway once the contract with the metrodome is done. The team is basically free to move to the city with the deepest pockets. How much is that going to cost the state to loose the income generated during the football season. The metrodome’s days are numbered anyway, so why not generate dollars by building a new stadium. In the long run the state will get back their investment. Is it a big cost upfront? Yes but many benefits in the long run. The Vikings will stay in MN with a long term contract tied to this new stadium. The team is forever tied to MN and making it very difficult to move out of the State. This is really a great deal for MN and the Vikings. Please vote for the new stadium.

33. By DRS on May 17, 2011 | Reply

TENSION OVER PROPOSED STADIUM OPERATIONS

But the roads aren’t the only issue still to be resolved.

Gov. Mark Dayton said that he has doubts about the operations of the stadium as outlined by the agreement between Ramsey County and the Vikings.
    The deal gives the Vikings revenue from the stadium, like parking and naming rights, as well as the first $41 million of savings from expected construction costs. The team said it’s patterned on the deal for Target Field.
    “I think the Vikings drafted an agreement with Ramsey County that served the interests of the Vikings, not surprisingly,” Dayton said.

Dayton said he wants the state to get some of the action.

“If the state’s going to be a third partner in this operation, which we would be, then we deserve one-third of the operating control, and one-third of the revenues, generally speaking,” Dayton said. “We have to work out who’s going to manage this operation, and who’s going to benefit from what aspects of it.”

He said that’s only fair, since a new stadium would likely be used only a dozen times or so a year for an NFL game, and the Twins stadium has limited other uses.

But the Vikings Lester Bagley said they need the money, because the team will end up paying most of the $14 million or $16 million a year it will cost to run the place.

34. By DRS on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Who is greedy?

35. By DRS on May 17, 2011 | Reply

“The Vikings feel very strongly about Ramsey County,” Goodell said. “I had the opportunity to go up and visit the site yesterday. It’s an extraordinary site, and I think it’s very exciting. So we’re going to work with the Vikings to hopefully make that come true.”

Opponents are also stepping up their efforts to stop the Vikings. They picketed an appearance by Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission chairman Ted Mondale in Minneapolis on Monday night. “I love the crew in purple. I love the Twins as well. I think they need to pay their own way on this. I, as a taxpayer, can’t afford it,” said Gayle Bonneville, of Minneapolis, who was among the protesters. “I think we have way too many priorities right now.”

Bonneville said the state needs to be more concerned with health care, roads and education funding.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

36. By DRS on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Get the Stadium done and forget the tightwads! NO time for this! Get it done.

37. By DRS on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Minnesota needs to recall Dayton now!

38. By Mike B on May 17, 2011 | Reply

It’s true that the state must provide for welfare and education of it’s citizens, but this doesn’t prevent a state from funding a money making venture as the new stadium. It is a true concern for a taxpayer as they are paying the upfront part of the costs in taxes. But in the long run the stadium is going to generate income from it’s construction and from it’s operation. If it wasn’t a money maker would state try so hard to force themselves as a third partner? I can’t vote but just point out logic that sometimes you have to spend money to make more money.

39. By shukin on May 17, 2011 | Reply

DRS you talk too much..

40. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

DRS– I appreciate your postings. Keep on blogging all you want!

41. By Touchdown on May 17, 2011 | Reply

if Webb plays receiver, would he be any good? He impressed me at QB. I think he’s too small to be a WR. And I’ve never seen Bomar play. So I think Webb should stay QB whether he start or not.

42. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

@Shukin,

DRS does a great job providing interesting websites for us to explore.

43. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Touchdown.

I think Webb would be an average NFL receiver (which is pretty good!)

But he has spent more time at the QB position (hs, college, and pros)
    Joe Webb is a talented athlete, and QB.

44. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

@R O C K S A L T,

So we really are on the same page as far as the Vikings offense.

From now on I’m calling you Rock. Vikings.com won’t let me use your full address.

45. By Mike B on May 17, 2011 | Reply

@Fred quit beating the dead horse. It’s obvious that the coaches aren’t seeing what you see. The OL isn’t as bad or they would draft OL earlier. Webb isn’t the guy or why draft QB at 12. TJack is out as he wasn’t close to being the guy. You can have your opinion but it’s obvious the team doesn’t see it.

46. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Touchdown– Webb is too small to be a WR? I thought Webb was a pretty big guy.

47. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike,

I saw a person with Mike B. on his shirt today. I asked him if he blogged on Vikings.com

Seriously.

48. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Webb is the same height as Rice at 6-4 and weighs 18 pounds more than Rice– I said in earlier posts that Webb, Rice, and Harvin at receivers could be very explosive— Webb can run well and is physical– remember when he had that face mask call for pushing a defender away when he ran– not sure what game that was– but Webb might be a great receiver.

49. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Fred– that is a funny story– next time I see a guy with a T-Shirt that says– Offensive Line, I will ask if it’s you.

50. By joshK on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Rice wants to see whether or not Ponder can throw the ball. i hope they do some major bonding if rice leaves we are doomed.

btw ocho on a bull… lol he had a bull stomp between his legs!!, he got so lucky he almost got stomped twice. scary video close call..

51. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Marlin Briscoe also switched to wide receiver, and he was a good one. From what I read about him, he would have also been a terrific quarterback.

That is why I want him to get his shot. Joe Webb can be the man, just like Joe Kapp was in 1969 when the Vikings won the NFL Championship. The Super Bowl meant nothing in those days.

52. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Now, I don’t want to start anything– promise– but I have to wonder why the title of this blog is what it is– it sounds like it should be part of the Twins website.

53. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Titus. If I hear a college prof correcting a student, I’ll ask if it is you!

54. By Frederick Jones on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Titus, have you ever noticed other bloggers arguing about something, and calling each other names?

Even this off-season it still happens frequently. You and I are not the only ones to get ripped.

55. By Mike B on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Sorry FredI hope you don’t take my comments too seriously. I like your passion for the team. I follow the team on the net and newpaper every day. I like to see how far we are progressing and get a feel for what the coaches are thinking. I continued to cheer for the team under Denny Green but after the championship game against Atlanta I knew the Vikings would be a Superbowl team under Green. Tice was a short gap heart string decision for Head Coach. He wasn’t head coach material. Childress had all kinds of promise, but came to a head with Farve and his head coaching lived or died with the decision on Farve. He failed out. We have a new head coach and another chance I am fired up again about the team. So I hope you will not take offense on what I post.

56. By Mike B on May 17, 2011 | Reply

oops wouldn’t be a superbowl team under Green.

57. By CA Norwegian on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Webb should be out on the field or on the bench as WR. I even think he could spice up special teams. If you put out two deep returners, he could effectively throw a strong sideline lateral, or run option depending on how they cover. I like him deep with Harvin who I have heard can throw some too. The trick play book gets very thick if you have him as a receiver. The Wildcat, just gets wilder, and he can take a reverse or fake one to freeze pursuit on AP. He can throw on the run from a reverse or take a lateral then option run/pass deep with a clear line of sight. If he gets good at receiver, all these other things he can do just get better. Aside from his height, he can leap like a grasshopper, unless I misread all the draft hype last year. Finally, he could be an emergency QB without occupying the roster spot. That means we can keep someone extra, where the staff thinks we need it most, or a player we cannot let go. But if he wins the starting job, I think I will not complain. QB’s get rather beat up these days and they will both get time under center.

58. By dave on May 17, 2011 | Reply

thats a good sign and hopefuly get sidney rice back!!!!!!!!!!! GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!

59. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I did a Google to see if I was missing something– like I said, I thought pitch and catch was a baseball term– and yes, that was the sport that came up when I entered “pitch and catch” but there were some other things that I did not know about that term.

60. By CA Norwegian on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Can anyone tell me if the line that played in the NFC title game two years ago was different than the line that played last year? Sidney was the greatest, but will his injury be a game changer, like Bo Jackson’s? I cannot remember if anything remarkable happened since he had surgery. I still think we can surprise the league and win the division, even if Sidney is absent. .

61. By Titus on May 17, 2011 | Reply

IF we have a season, I agree– we can win the division, but it won’t be easy –two of the teams were in the NFC championship, one won the Superbowl, and the Lions are finally close to being rebuilt and quite formidable. I think the O line was basically the same the past two years– last year I believe Favre was pressured to play– Favre never was ready to play– he was playing with limited mobility — it’s two sided– yes, you need a good O Line, but you need a QB who is not an easy target.

62. By dave on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Sidney rice did pretty good last year when his injury ended

63. By CA Norwegian on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I hope they think about this Plaxico guy again. Hey wait for Plaxico! During Burress’ time with the Giants, Moss (45), Owens (44) and Larry Fitzgerald (38) were the only receivers with more touchdown catches than Burress (33)

I hope they play alot of double TE sets. Kyle, I think would stop a DE speedrusher from hooking around and causing the endzone fumble/touchdown like happened last year.

Yes the competition is good, but everyone should agree the Vikes were so cursed by close and undeserved losses last year, the Karma favors us to rebound. I would like to remain optimistic about our chances, especially as The Pack may not be as hungry and everyone will be targeting them to lift their ranking.

Finally, Moss travelled to two teams, both head coaches were fired. That has to be something for the record books, and a hard sell on a contract for next season. I would not be averse to getting the best deal on Free agents, but is the third the charm here?

64. By Parody on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I just found some disturbing news. There appars to be a group of minnesotans who are fighting to keep the team from getting a stadium deal. They’re so worried that tax money is going to be spent on a sports franchise that they’re spending much of their time (and likely money) on keeping it from happening. How ludicrous is that?

The really disturbing part of this is that they are trying to create a vote to decide on the stadium, and need to get signatures from 25,000 residents to allow the vote to occur. Thre are plenty of ignorant people in this state, jst as there are anywhere else across the world. If they try hard enough, they’d easily be able to fool 25K people that the vote is going to help out their taxes and the state.

65. By DuaneN on May 18, 2011 | Reply

“I as a taxpayer, can’t afford it.” Nice soundbyte buddy, please move.

Of course Dayton isn’t all for the stadium, looks like HE’S the one that wants some of the action. I don’t trust that @##@ at all. Just look at him. If the team leaves no doubt he got some money from Cali.

66. By Rocksalt on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody-
    Evidently, Minnesota is THE ONLY STATE in need of education funding, tax breaks, health care, and road repairs.
    Sadly it seems that thie stadium deal may not go through. I hope I am wrong, but I fear the Vikings may indeed end up in LA, probably win a superbowl in 2014. Just like the Lakers and Stars………

67. By Carl K on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus – I agree that pitch and catch is a more commonly used phrase use in baseball. The lockout is a sensative topic, Mike (because he works for the league) is attempting to down play the value and importance of player organized workouts. His headline choice helps him diminish the significance of Rice’s participation.

Technically you can play pitch and catch with any b@ll.

68. By Carl K on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus- Really? You want to pick on Mikes head line?

They say that knowledge is power, right? Well I believe that because you have an expertise in writing you feel alittle more important or powerful by continually trying to put Mike down.

Great writing is only a small part of being knowledgeable and successful. People skills are equally as important. I know you run a business, but I am beginning to wounder if you have any employees who really want to follow or work for you? I don’t know you personally, but what I read from your writing – I think your people skills are a joke. I would be willing to bet that you have never played organized sports in your life.

If you keep picking on Mike… I will keep picking on you!!

69. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

This may sound a bit childish, but if the state of Minnesota allows the Vikings to pack bags and move to LA, I will pack my bags and move with them. The state has done very disappointing things before in the world of sports, but letting the Vikings leave will be unforgiving, though no skin off the states underside they will lose a taxpayer and I will not step foot in Minnesota again and that is a promise, if this unthinkable thing ever did happen, I hope it comes back and bites the state of Minnesota so hard in the rear that they feel it for decades.

70. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Be still my heart, MAN! Minnesota is going to kill me, GGGRRRRRR!! I just moved back up here to Minnesota last year from SoCal for several reasons, but 1 of those reasons being I wanted to be more active with the team I loved for 45+ years, season ticket holder, participate in events around the team, ETC. and now they may ship them to a place I just left, it’s enough to make me cry lol.

71. By Rocksalt on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I truly HOPE that the Vikes will remain in MN. But look at the precedents: Lakers, North Stars….I HOPE we do not continue this pattern……

72. By Purple Nurple on May 18, 2011 | Reply

“Build it and they will come”…I hope this Ponder/Harvin/Rice thing isn’t alot of PR bulls#!*.It just seems like a possible bone being thrown to keep fans interested during the “negotiations”.No doubt a new stadium could be a revenue producer within a few years.I have a thought on whom else could contribute in part to its construction costs…VEGAS!!!!Football’s real revenue is GAMBLING folks!Advertising,ticket sales,and retail merchandising pale in comparison.The owners and players figured out what the real cash cow is…now there just arguing over who gets to pull on the most teets.So, I guess we might as well build a new milk palor and wish/hope it was about the sport.Build it and the will come.

73. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I hope the state of Minnesota is happy for what there putting Viking fans through, this is like 100 times worst that watching your team in the conference championship game in OT, the intensity, the anxiety, the biting of fingernails until they bleed, Minnesota make up your bloody minds and say either yes or no NOW!

74. By Rocksalt on May 18, 2011 | Reply

BTW I tried many times to respond to the Star Trib articles, but it never posted my responses, which were in support of the economic impact of keeping the Vikes in MN with a competitve facility.
    Vikes were 5th in amount of money spent on payroll, and next to last in monies generated from concessions, parking, memorabilia…….

75. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I am just bewildered on who has their heads so far up their keesters that they would think to even put a question mark on this issue, the Vikings been a part of the Minnesota economy for 50 years and now that it’s time to make an investment to keep them here there thinking to just toss them to the wayside? The whole ordeal just stinks.

76. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I am very very sorry that not every individual will benefit from the profit and gain of having the Vikings here in Minnesota, most of us take money out of our wallets in more than 1 way to enjoy them, but this is the price to pay to have something as special as the Minnesota Vikings in our state, what a terrible loss it will be.

77. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

OK! I am done crying.

78. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

This is driving me INSANE!!! I feel like I’m helpless, a million miles away instead of 1800. I’m close to jumping on a plane, flying to Minny and holding a press conference on behalf of all the out-of-state fans (in my case, out-of-country) who infuse thousands of dollars into your local economy, but I would probably end up as a tax burden to you guys after being thrown in the slammer if I got too close to your Governor.

79. By Touchdown on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I never knew Webb was that big. He’s always looked small to me from TV. If he wants to play receiver then I’m all for it.

80. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Would you guys bail me out? It’s almost worth trying.

81. By Carl K on May 18, 2011 | Reply

As a kid growing up in Indiana (we didn’t have the Colts back then) the first Superbowl I can really remember was in 1975. The Vikings played the Steelers in Superbowl IX. My older brother was a big Steelers fan so naturally began rooting for Vikings from that point on.

I will admit, I am impartial to the debate of Arden Hills verses downtown Minneapolis as the new stadium site. I have never been to a game in Minnesota, but I have been to Vikings’ games in Indy, Detroit and Chicago.

Even an Indiana boy like myself would feel the lose if the Vikings moved to LA.
    I hope that the NFL, the Wilfs and the great state of Minnesota continue to partner and work together to work this thing out.

82. By Parody on May 18, 2011 | Reply

@Nova – I’d be happy to bail you out, but I think it would be more fun to join your cause and occupy the cell adjacent to yours!

83. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

The one thing the state of Minnesota best take in to serious consideration is not what the team brings to the state, but the players themselves, I happen to know for a fact that many players get involved in local charities and even have there own fund raisers ( Jared Allen ) which brings in a lot of money for those needy organizations. WAKE UP MINNESOTA! And I’ll bail you out NovaScotiaVike :D

84. By Carl K on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Go for it Nova!

85. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody, thanks, my friend. If anyone out there thinks you have to live in Minnesota to be passionate about the Vikes, I had to go to my back-up t.v. when Brent Mcclanahan fumbled on the two-yard-line against Oakland. My #1 television developed problems related to a beer bottle being inserted into its picture tube.

86. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

And a BIG THANKS to all potential bail-posters!!!

87. By Andy W on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Tax payers never want to fund new stadiums… but in the end (usually at the last minute) law makers, legislators and state leaders will more often than not side in favor of what is good for the local economy.

88. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I know I am tired of barking up the wrong tree and I want to do more, if there is any scheduled event at the capital just fill me in on the time, date and where to park my car and I will be there with sign in hand

89. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Just remember this, Minnesota politicians; If you somehow end the existence of the Vikings in Minnesota, you might gain some votes in the next election, but in the end you will be despised by untold millions around the world. What a nice legacy to leave.

90. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

91. By no1vikingsfan on May 18, 2011 | Reply

@ DRS! I say the more Bills the better, the only thing I like about building a new stadium at the old dome site is that the Vikings would play at the Gopher field while construction is taking place, which means 3 years of outdoor football, the way it was meant to be.

92. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Senate Minority Leader Tom Bakk, who has long supported a new Minnesota Vikings stadium, is not enamored with building the project in Minneapolis.

Bakk, DFL-Cook, said building the project at the Metrodome, where the team has played for 29 years, poses parking problems and that the Vikings’ preferred site in suburban Arden Hills has advantages for the team.

“As a transportation issue, it’s not as though downtown Minneapolis is a good location,” said Bakk. “You just try to get out of there onto Washington Avenue , and you try to go north after an event there – it’s pretty tough.

“It’s hardly ideal,” he added. “The [mass] transit [is] right there, close, so that’s the one thing they have going for them downtown, but the parking’s lousy.
    “One of the challenges the Vikings have had is they don’t get any parking revenue” at the Metrodome, he said. “That’s an obstacle for them that they won’t have at Arden Hills.”

The team is pushing to build a $1 billion stadium in Ramsey County’s Arden Hills, although Minneapolis officials have offered a competing proposal to build a new stadium at the site of the Metrodome.

(Not much time left, get the Arden Hills stadium approved, and start building it! Stop playing games Minnesota.)

93. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

no1vikingsfan, would the TCF field be available for winter play? I thought it was not built for cold weather use? What of parking and tailgating?

94. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I think a little more money to get a better sports event and life style is worth it. Don’t you think?

95. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I think above all, Minnesota needs to get a bill passed into law, and a stadium started this year. Minnesota please stop playing games before some other state gets your NFL team, There are plenty of states out there who can get the team if your law makers fail to ack.

96. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

BTW, I think Minnesota fans who live in Minnesota should flood the law makers with their voices on how they feel! E-mail them, phone them, and let them know if they fail you will work to get them out of office!

97. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

98. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

99. By GOLDVIKE on May 18, 2011 | Reply

I THINK PONDER & WEBB SHOULD COMPETE 2 SEE WHO STARTS!!!!!!!

100. By DRS on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Law makers playing game with you Minnesota fan!

This is from,

However, the other conclusion I can draw is a more ominous one. Maybe lawmakers know that there will be no stadium deal, in Ramsey County or anywhere else, and lawmakers are trying to figure out how to make up a fraction of the lost income that the Vikings generate to be able to keep the Metrodome open, once the Vikings relocate for greener pastures.

But I question the timing of this bill to form a Metrodome Viability Task Force. Why now? Shouldn’t the focus be on getting a good stadium bill finalized, passed through committees, and then voted on? It seems to me that there is plenty of time to figure out what to do with the Metrodome next year, or even two years from now. And here is my third conclusion. Maybe even a conspiracy theory. By introducing this bill, it competes with the new stadium bill, eating up precious time and resources that these committees have (I don’t know that all the same committees will look at these bills, but with the streamlining of committees in the House and Senate there will almost have to be some overlap) to look at all the work before them before the legislative session ends. The ultimate goal in this conspiracy theory is that this bill will slow down the work of the legislative committees enough so that they won’t be able to finish work on a new stadium bill, preventing a vote on it and dooming the Vikings’ future in Minnesota.

Granted, the Vikings didn’t do themselves any favors by submitting a terrible bill, but would politicians do something like this so they could potentially avoid a tough vote?

Nahhhhhhhhhh…..

101. By Titus on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Nova, bring Sonja, maybe she can persuade the governor.

102. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Roll him in beef fat, Titus, and we’ll be on the next plane.

103. By Titus on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha.

104. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

That would be hilarious, wouldn’t it? Show up at a Vikings rally, all the way from Halifax, with a hungry Doberman in a Vike’s jersey.

105. By Titus on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Carl, great insights. Duly noted. Thanks.

106. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus, we could put a #56 jersey on her with the name “Dolberman” on it.

107. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

*Doleberman

108. By Titus on May 18, 2011 | Reply

That’s right! Sonja already played for the Vikes– I forgot. She would probably get into the legislature while we wait outside. Don’t put a helmet on her, though– might interfere with her persuasion skills.

109. By NovaScotiaVike on May 18, 2011 | Reply

LOL TITUS! How fast would those politicians sign the bill then?

110. By Frederick Jones on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Funny stuff on here, especially with highly-noted blogging comedian Nova back in action.

A big thanks to Mike B.

And a note to all that I am sometimes quite prone to exaggeration to make a point. Just agree with me and go about your business! ! !

I’m with GOLDVIKE in letting Webb and Ponder compete for the QB job.

111. By ripped beast on May 18, 2011 | Reply

relax y’all, there isn’t gonna be a season – at least not a full one – to get all wet about. owners refuse to open up their books. players won’t budj – it is gonna go back & forth with 1 side smashing the ball at the other, and the nfl fans are the net in the tennis match. big guys are last to get in shape & I think ponder will pay a deep price.

112. By vikingsfan 1955 on May 19, 2011 | Reply

This is a very good sign and webb should join them and it would do ponder good if a couple of the corners show to give him pro coverage. I’m a supporter of ponder and feel in time he will be a good starter and a good backup for now. I believe in the coach and feel this will be a yr to build and next will be a breakout and sb yr.

113. By Gubber on May 19, 2011 | Reply

To Touchdown.
    I’m a huge Viking fan, but don’t start in on the Packers (as much as I dislike them ). Just count the Super Bowl Championships for each team and I’m sure our team doesn’t scare them all that much.
    As for Vince Young. I would have him in here faster than a person could blink. I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with him that a player’s coach ( Frazier ) couldn’t fix in a hurry.

Gubber

114. By Rocksalt on May 20, 2011 | Reply

check out Sid Hartman’s article

115. By Steve on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Arden Hills, Retractable Roof, Tailgating- it doesn’t get much better than that- GO VIKES !! and the Packers still suck !!!!

116. By Andy on May 21, 2011 | Reply

ROY awards are great, but we want Super Bowl trophies here in Mn. We are a great organization and we now have a solid coach. I see huge things for Ponder and the rest of this team. If Sydney Rice can stay healthy and with the addition of Kyle Rudolf there is no telling how far this team can go! Of coarse that would mean our starting QB stays healthy too… SKOL VIKINGS

117. By Danny on May 23, 2011 | Reply

I think what some of these MN taxpayers are forgetting, is that there are a LOT of us diehard Vikings fans that come out to watch games, and spend our money at local bars, restaurants, etc. I try to make it out every year, and while I’ve never lived in Minnesota, I’ve been to at least 6 home games, and I know I’m not the only one. That’s a lot of incoming money. Even living in Seattle, if the Vikings move I think I’ll probably have to become a Seahawks fan (please prevent this travesty)

2. May 18, 2011: Vikings’ Christian Ponder Organizing Workouts « Purple Pants, Green Jersey