What Do You Think About Arden Hills/Ramsey County Proposal?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 12, 2011 – 11:03 am

The battle to find a resolution to the stadium situation in Minnesota has been a long, hard battle for nearly a decade, but one of the best days of that battle came earlier this week when Ramsey County announced they have reached an agreement with the Vikings to be the team’s local partner. A big press conference was conducted to make the announcement and the entire development provided some optimism for Vikings fans in Minnesota.

We won’t put the cart before the horse here and assume the Minnesota Legislature will pass the proposal into law and finalize the plan, but at least now a huge step in the process has been completed and discussions can continue to move this issue forward.

In my view, there are a lot of things to like about this proposal. I won’t go over all of the details in this blog entry- you can find most of them by clicking here - but I did want to explain a few of the underrated aspects of this deal that I particularly appreciate.

– We all know that creating jobs is a good thing and we also know that building a new stadium will create jobs. But the great thing about the jobs a stadium would create is that many of the jobs will be in construction/trade. I’ve heard State leaders describe the current job climate in that industry as a “crisis.” Well, this proposal will support 13,000 full- and part-time jobs, including 7,500 construction jobs. Also, Mortenson Construction says $300 million of the overall project costs are wages for construction workers.

– The stadium in this proposal is a multi-use facility that will give the State one more first-class venue and will also give the State a legitimate venue to host events such as the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final 4. In addition, the Wilf Ownership group has expressed interest in bringing Major League Soccer (MLS) back to Minnesota if this stadium proposal is passed.

– Going back to the MLS idea, this stadium proposal would add an MLS venue to an area that neighbors the National Sports Center in Blaine, the world’s largest Amateur Sports and Meeting Facility. I’m not an avid soccer lover, but I know there are a lot of Minnesotans who are and I also know there’s nothing wrong with improving and enhancing facilities that encourage amateur and youth sports participation.

– The Vikings are paying for 44% of the stadium costs and 39% of the total costs of the project, numbers that are higher than previous proposals and numbers that illustrate the Wilfs’ commitment to reaching a stadium resolution in Minnesota.

– Did you know that, according to our market research and surveys, just short of half of the State’s population follows the Vikings each Sunday? The team’s 69 share means that 69% of the TVs that are turned on each Sunday during the season are tuned into Vikings games. This tells us that the Vikings are an important part of the quality of life in Minnesota and the perception of the State around the county. Without a new stadium, the risk remains that the Vikings will no longer reside in Minnesota.

So what do you all think of the Arden Hills/Ramsey County stadium proposal? Let us know by leaving a comment in the comments section below this entry.

118 Responses to “What Do You Think About Arden Hills/Ramsey County Proposal?”

1. By Jayson Wold on May 12, 2011 | Reply

While I am glad the Vikings have made a move to stay in Minnesota, I would have preferred that they stay at the Metrodome site. Minneapolis is the cultural hub of MN. The Viking should be accessible to people from all parts of the city and state.

The Farmers Market site makes the most sense of all. Add a casino to Block E and you will have a superior entertainment hub.

2. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Well Mike W., I read on this website that you are classified as Writer/ Editor. In this article, there are 5 horrendous errors and one cliche you love to overuse (overuse of an overused phrase– great Scott–oops, I did it myself). Please, I have suggested many times– print your copy and review it before publishing it. My guess is you casually write a draft on your laptop and immediately post it.

Mike W., in your article you mention the Vikings represent our state to the world. What perception does the world have when they read grammatical errors and incorrect words being used– such as in other articles– here for hear and peak for peek? PLEASE– as a writer and an editor, it is appalling to see. Yes, I make errors, all of us do. But these are unacceptable. I will not point out the errors above– let’s play where is Waldo?– and everyone can point them out.

Also, most of these articles could be cut in half and retain their content– way too wordy– caused by unnecessary qualifiers, redundancy, lack of audience analysis, too conversational in tone, and an overuse of the passive voice.

I may seem, like the j-erk, but if we want a championship,our organization must be excellent in all areas, especially our public image that the world sees.

3. By CA Norwegian on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I think whatever the owner(s) want to do, that is fine… during this time of economic decline… the teams without the oodles of superstar salaries may indeed be the ones to survive and flourish when football is able to rise up again. The Vikings should do whatever has the least economic impact until things get worked out. Go Vikings! Stay Vikings, in MN! I wonder if it is “Chilly” in “T-Jacksonville.” Perhaps we should all ponder about this proposal.

4. By Ootsa Jimmy on May 12, 2011 | Reply

The stadium proposal would have been better if it was written by an OLineman.

5. By travis on May 12, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus Shut up,I am here to read about the Vikings not get an english lesson.

6. By Chris on May 12, 2011 | Reply

First of all, Titus needs to find something better to do with his life…I hope this is grammatically correct. Anything that gets us closer to insuring that the Vikings stay in Minnesota is a good thing. I have been watching the Vikings since I was old enough to care about sports. They are a part of my life. It would crush me to see them move. People just need to understand that some things are more important than the cost of a stadium… no matter what state the economy is in.

7. By Jason on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Titus, and this observation is not directed solely at this one author but at the site admin and editor if there is one! For the past 4-5 years multitudes of errors have been present everywhere site wide, from typos in headlines to links that go nowhere. And more importantly, critical information has been either late or flat out incomplete in regards to training camp and game re-scheduling information fans need to know in a timely manner to make plans to go support the team they love in person. No type of competent editor seems to be in charge of this site. It’s very unprofessional for a respectful organization like the Vikings not to care about public relations and brand identity on the team’s website.
    I am not a teacher or a professor, but I am a web professional and can tell you the other NFL team’s websites have competent site admins and editors. Get your act together Vikings/Atomic Playpen! Minnesota is a literate state, and the Vikings fans and organization deserve better.

8. By Mike Wobschall on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Mr. web professional – Just an FYI that Atomic Playpen isn’t involved with vikings.com. So direct any criticisms you have for them to me. Thanks.

P.S. I spell checked this post AND printed it off to proof read it before posting.

9. By JDR on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Dear Titus,

Titus, more like tight @ss. Talk about being to wordy, it took you 222 words to tell poor Mike that he made a few mistakes.

Sincerely,

MINNESOTA Vikings fan who doesn’t really give a cr@p where the stadium is, just so long as it’s not in California.

10. By Mewsie on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I love the Vikings, which can be difficult when we come up short so often. One area I was hoping where we could really get ahead was with the stadium. Everyone knows that the Metrodome has not been fit for purpose for a long time – it was built cheap and had no soul. Honestly, I was really hoping that the new stadium would be built in downtown Minneapolis. That plan would have tied in perfectly with the light rail, was centrally located for all suburbs. was close to the airport, and could have spurred additional urban renewal in Minneapolis.

The Arden Hills site and plan is interesting, as they have a lot more space they can do more – such as tailgating and other sports facilities. I’m not crazy about the design… I just hope the architectural qualities withstand the test of time and don’t look weird or outdated in 10 years time. I’m also amazed that they’d want to build on a superfund site… they are the nastiest of the nasty environmental sites you’d ever want to build on. But if this project helps get the former ammunitions plant cleaned up, then all the better.

My biggest concern is over infrastructure. Minnesota has long had a problem with creating future-looking infrastructure. As a culture we tend to look at the near-term, and often bark about the price of roads and rail. Yet, we’ll pay the price for years with insufficient infrastructure, and always “talk” about how to fix it. Sadly, little ever comes of all that talk. Frankly I was amazed that we got the light rail project off the ground. Here is to more forward thinking and planning, and if the football gods smile on us (as they rarely do), here’s to a better season and a bowl game.

11. By Mewsie on May 12, 2011 | Reply

BTW – that two part presser was an abomination. Between the Wilf family and Ramsey county, couldn’t someone get a decent high-def camera or two, lapel mics, and wireless mics or boom mics for the press? Jebus… its like amateur hour.

12. By Kelly on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I like the Aren Hills idea. Having tailgating back will be great.. Once Washington Ave got built up we lost that. I went to the old Met and never cared that it wasn’t downtown. We fans will really enjoy this once it’s built.
    I look forward to seeing the Viking move the whole operations up to Arden Hills.
    Let’s hear it for the north side of town getting something good..

13. By Frederick Jones on May 12, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings stadium proposal is exciting. But unless it gets past the legislature it is mute. Even then it might take several years to build it, according to the newspapers.

So the Vikings may be in the dome until 2014 !

It also does not commit the team to staying in Minnesota, although I would think it is a good sign.

14. By GMan on May 12, 2011 | Reply

We are one step closer to keeping the Vikings in the Twin Cities area. Yee-haw!!
    With that being said…I’m not a very big fan of Mike Wobschall either, mainly due to his ‘blah’ articles and ineffective writing style. And, he just looks like a major wimp. In the NFL, bravado and first impressions mean quite a lot. Mike W is the exact opposite of bravado. We should probably follow suit with most of the NFL and have a good looking woman doing his job. That’s my $0.02.

Go Vikings!

15. By VikeTX on May 12, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

Take a breath. Mike does a better job than most bloggers. Blogs are designed to be conversational since most are for people to express their opinions and to interact with readers. They are also designed to get news and information out fast and are generally not held to the same standard as a print product or even web content classified as hard news. I’d rather hear breaking news fast with a typo or a common grammatical error than have to wait hours for an uptight copy editor to pee all over it. I’m intelligent enough to read what someone writes and understand what they meant if there is an error. Have you checked out Access Vikings? Chip and Judd are much worse. People read the blogs for the content, not necessarily because the writer is a fantastic wordsmith. Do you really think poor grammar and spelling equates to the Vikings not winning a championship? Get a grip.

That being said … I think the Vikes made the right call. The proposal for the downtown site was ridiculous and insulting. Typical politics. Trying to tack on extra money for a project unrelated to the stadium. I would have liked for the stadium to be built on the Metrodome site but the Arden Hills proposal was obviously superior. Unfortunately, I still think Minnesota politics will find a way to kill this glimmer of hope.

16. By Aceviking on May 12, 2011 | Reply

All of you people who are complaining about it not being in Minneapolis need to stop. I live in SD and I drive 5 1/2 hours every Sunday to see the game. Stop complaining about an extra 20 minutes.

17. By Skol_Vikes on May 12, 2011 | Reply

It seems reasonable that the Vikes are willing to pay for 43% of the stadium — that would be used for other purposes, including another pro team.

18. By TSH on May 12, 2011 | Reply

While I like the Arden Hills site, I think the existing Metrodome site seems to make the most sense in terms of the infrastructure. I think there are going to be problems getting this through legislation with the amount of roadway improvements needed on / adcent-to the Arden Hills site. I love the fact that the stadium construction adds 9,000+ construction jobs. And while yes, I understand many folks have a hard time with public taxes being used for sports stadiums, this is a no-brainer and the return far outweighs the public investment. Bravo to the Vikings, the State and Ramsey County and yes, there are a lot of us out there that get the “big picture” of what this stadium provides. I’m very greatful we have class ownership in the Wilf Family. You’re appeciated by us Viking Fans and we thank you for doing so much in moving this organization forward for years to come.

19. By Anthony on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I’m so glade that the vikes are making progress to get their new stadium built in Minnesota =) I can not wait to see it finish, from the sketches I’ve seen it looks pretty cool. I’m also very glade that it will be a retractable roof because having the roof will make it so it can be used all year long which is great but they can still have an outdoor game by opening the roof so I love it. GO VIKINGS =)

20. By PAUL M. on May 12, 2011 | Reply

“MEWSIE” IS RIGHT ON REGARDING THE PRESSERS. GO TO OTHER TEAM SITES TO REALIZE WHAT POOR VIDEO / AUDIO QUALITY THE VIKINGS’ PRESSERS ARE.

21. By PAUL M. on May 12, 2011 | Reply

THE POLITICIANS – FOR THE MOST PART – HAVE EARNED THEIR POSITIONS BY “WHISPERING SWEET NOTHINGS IN THE VOTERS’ EARS” & BEING DECEPTIVELY PERSUASIVE. THAT IS THE NATURE OF THE POLITICIAN.

THEY WILL TRUMP UP AS MUCH PUBLIC ENTHUSIASM AS THEY CAN — AND THEN THEY’LL GET YOU MINNESOTANS TO PAY FOR IT!!!

22. By Bigfan1 on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Fantastic! I think it’s absolutely wonderful that finally the Vikings will have a home like the Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves. I like the option to retract the dome and being able to tailgate will be super. We are lucky to have owners that treasure keeping the Vikes in MN like we do. No more TCF bull or playing home games in other states. Now lets host a Super Bowl and bring a Super Bowl victory to MN.

23. By Frederick Jones on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I appreciate Vikings.com and wouldn’t want it to change.

VIKINGS.COM IS GREAT ! ! !

24. By KanVike on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Mike W. your’e doing just fine. The rest of you play nice!

25. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Mike W.– good job on the corrections. I applaud your professionalism to make the changes– as you probably noticed, they were quite blatant when you read through them. I know many people rely on spell check– I do not– it merely makes sure a word is spelled correctly– not that you chose the correct word. Also, note that Word has a grammar check, but it is wrong about 90% of the time that it tries to correct me. Read your material slowly and out loud– you will have near-perfect copy. Thank you Mike– iron sharpens iron, my friend and I am calling you out so you can advance to higher levels.

26. By Aceviking on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Titus- Stop, ok?

27. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

For the rest of you– listen, you came along after Mike corrected the text– there were some doozies.

THANK YOU to Jason and the others who recognize that excellence is intentional and does not merely happen– it also must be strived for in every aspect of an organization for each member to soar. Want a Superbowl in Minnesota? Stop the mediocrity.

OH, Nice job–good enough, yeah, it will do for now, did pretty good, yeah, we almost made the Superbowl, yeah, we had the most points this season, counts for something– WAH WAH WAH — THIS IS WHAT GETS NEARLY MADE IT-

STOP SETTLING MINNESOTA– EXPECT BETTER, DEMAND THE BEST– UNTIL YOU DO SO– SUPERBOWL IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN– NEVER

28. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I will never settle. I want a Superbowl for the Vikings in my lifetime.

29. By shukin on May 12, 2011 | Reply

The only thing that would be better is if Mike W was an OLineman

30. By Dairyair1977 on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I think tha vikin’s staydeum is prity kool. ardin hils is uh good plac for thim too play. minisoda is a bestist.

31. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Dairyair, very funny– then again, either you are ridiculing me or making fun of this website and it’s many problems. Of course, I could care less what you or any blogger writes— you are not working full time as a Writer/Editor — and of a website that is the showplace for the world for our team. I want our team to be represented in the most honorable and excellent fashion possible.

Of course we all make mistakes– a rare and occasional one is unavoidable.

32. By viking1 on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Arden Hills sure is closer then LA. Lets just get this thing done it makes me sick to ever think we could lose this team. Now lets end this lock out and start FA signings and get ready for some football. SKOL!!!!!!!

33. By Kyya on May 12, 2011 | Reply

i hop tis vykhinds git a now steakdiuhum in ahdhen hkills . tahat whloud bee grate. hobphuli teh legizlature pahses tis bhill.

34. By alan on May 12, 2011 | Reply

As a lifelong Vikings fan and a life long New Orleans resident I cannot be more ecstatic about this news!!! I know the legislature has to approve everything first, but this is certainly a step in the right direction!! And when the stadium opens for game 1 I’ll hop a flight to Arden Hills!!! Skol baby!!!!

35. By Titus thinks he is so smart on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Titus since you think you could write blogs everyday, why don’t you go open your own website and write blogs in perfect English everyday.

36. By Churchill on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I agree. Titus you should go open your own website. I would like to see you write blogs everyday in pristine English.

37. By allan on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I like just about everything about the Arden Hills stadium proposal. Bringing Major League soccer back would be good also. I don’t like the price of parking. Did I hear that it would cost between $20 – $40 to park and tailgait. That along with the price of a ticket would over price the average fan. Something that would have to change in order for someone like me to attend a game. Allan – Cottage Grove

38. By Mike B on May 12, 2011 | Reply

This stadium proposal is great. This will provide a first class facility for the vikings. It will benefit MN in so many ways the funds spent on this will come back many times over in the future. Don’t let the cost blind side the tax payers. This is a money mine for the state. Those wages will be spent in MN and the taxes generated from this stadium will pay for this many times over. It is great the parking will close to the stadium for true tailgating. So many pluses I hope MN’s legislature will approve in a very short time.

39. By Mike B on May 12, 2011 | Reply

@Allan we paid 20 bucks to part for the Arizona game last year that’s about typical for anything around the metrodome.

40. By Mike B on May 12, 2011 | Reply

OOPs before titus catches that was park not part

41. By Mike B on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Titus give Mike a break he’s a football fan not an english major. You ever see how his eyes light up when he’s interviewing a player. The man gets it. Leave him alone please.

42. By Lito on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Arden Hills it is. Get it done.

43. By Chaz on May 12, 2011 | Reply

LET’S ALL GANG UP ON TITUS!!!! AHH YOU SUCK! LOSER! MR. I’M TOO GOOD FOR SPELL CHECK!

44. By DuaneN on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Grammar is serious business.

45. By Dairyair1977 on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I wrot et tu lyten op tha moood awn this blawg

46. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I am sorry to see some of you miss the point. It’s not about the grammar. In fact, I would wager all of you agree in principle 100% with what I am saying; however, many of you get too wrapped up in your emotions.

I GUARANTEE ONE THING– EVERY ONE OF YOU AGREE WITH ME, whether you realize it or not. Not one of you would hire someone who came in for an interview unable to speak coherently. Not one of you would hire someone who came in for an interview dirty and dressed in soiled clothing.

It’s about Purple Pride gang, not about grammar. Mike W– I give him a lot of credit and salute him— he fixed almost everything in the article after my posting– so most of you, if not all do not have a clue as to the mistakes in the original– it was not a good impression.

No, Mike B. Mike W. is not an English major, but he is listed as an Editor and a Writer for a profession– and of a major website for an NFL team. We should expect the best– until we do in every area from ownership to the waterboy– this organization known as the Vikings will always be one field goal away from the Superbowl– good enough is not excellence.

We all can do better in our lives— expect more.

47. By Frederick Jones on May 12, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

All of your points about grammar are okay.

This blog has just been going so slow, some will try to pick fights.

Blogging is about having fun. Let the kids play, it doesn’t mean you are wrong !

48. By Frederick Jones on May 12, 2011 | Reply

C. Ponder may be a great QB. Joe Webb may be even better than Ponder. It would be nice to have a proven offensive line, and a good vet QB to play immediately so the young QBs can develop properly.

My prediction for the CBA: It will be solved in mid-August. Until then none of the players, and administration have to work. Yippee Skippee!!!

The new stadium puzzle will be solved before that time. Maybe.

49. By ripped beast on May 12, 2011 | Reply

don’t worry bout it too much titus, the grammatically challenged will not have ANY of the lower level seats in arden hills — only the big wigs. the corporate types + the politicians…

they will be way too expensive for us average tax payers! we’ll be up in the VERY CHEAP seats, at about $100 a pop!

but then again, with an editor’s salary, YOU’LL BE RIGHT UP THERE WITH US!

SKOL!

50. By Fanatic on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Titus, lay off man. This is a blog, not a published article that needs to be analyzed down to the finest detail. I am not a publisher or an editor like your self, and found simple grammatical errors in your writing (which I am sure you read numerous times to be sure you were not being hypocritical). I am also aware that my post contains errors, and this is okay! I don’t really get the point of coming down on the guy. I believe Thumper’s Mom on Bambi said it best, “If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all!” This is a quote you should start living by. I figured I would through in a childish quote since you are acting so uptight, maybe it will help you loosen up a bit. And as I can see many other people agree with this.

51. By Nate Dogg on May 12, 2011 | Reply

OK now kids,do I have to put you all in your little corners?? Let us Ponder the words of one infamous brother once said ” CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???” Arden Hills is a great opportunity to bring back the old tradition of the way things use to be. Tailgating!!!!! you really do not get that in Minneapolis, frankly It felt too segregated.. it does not have the same experience as the Met center once did. and we can get that back in Arden Hills. Yes the infrastructure there needs to be upgraded but that is here nor there to the having the Stadium there, it still needs to be done regardless. The fact that were one step closer to not having our favorite team not becoming the new L.A. Vikings is great. I am excited, I support it and will except it. so SKOL VIKES!!!!

52. By Titus on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Take it easy Fanatic. I did not proof my writing on here– I even knew I was missing a few commas here and there– this is not my site– I am not the paid writer and editor and I am in the blogger section like you– we are here for fun. But the professional image of the website is what is at question. Cheeseheads and people from around the world get the image of the Vikings through the website (among other ways). I have pride in the Vikings– you should too, my fanatical friend.

53. By Ponder This! on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Normally I’d be on your side Titus. I’ve been embarassed when I see misspellings in headlines on this site and things of that nature but to actually believe that mistakes on a blog have any effect on team performance is absurd. For this and this alone, I’m calling you an idiot. Don’t say something so stupid again. Got it?

54. By Parody on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I agree with you that these professional writers need to set higher standards for everything that they publish. Why are these people being paid to write if they’re not doing it properly? A question to all the adversaries of Titus’ argument – would you not complain if the person making your daily lunch constantly mixed up the ketchup and barbeque sauce?

America’s writing skills as a whole have become horrid over the past decade. How can we possibly expect that trend to change unless we hold the highest standards for the professional writers, whose work we read on a daily basis?

55. By Parody on May 13, 2011 | Reply

@Ponder Thi!s – You’re nobody to call someone an idiot if you’re going to hide behind a different screen name while doing so. I agree that Titus’ comment about the writing affecting the team’s performance is absurd, but you’re a coward to lambast Titus about it from behind an unknown identification.

56. By DAN REHOME on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Great!!! Now get All Minnesotans to see the BIG PICTURE.
    Whether you are or aren’t a footbal fan…this deal will generate $$$ for the STATE OF MINNESOTA. Tourism,hotels,restaurants,etc….So you see this is bigger than football…It makes Economic sense!!!
    JUST DO IT!!!!! A WIN -WIN

57. By Kevin Bense on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Dan is exactly right!! The state of Minn. needs this stadium and the fans deserve it! The Vikings are not the only organization that will benefit from this new venue… Besides, I don’t wanna travel 3000 miles to see a Viking game and have the roof collapse ever again!!!

Go Vikes!!

58. By no1vikingsfan on May 13, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus: I really don’t give a rats rear how the story is written, as long as it’s comprehensible and factual, which it is. I did take notice however that while you having some of the most numerous post on this blog, you never once addressed the issue and that being your opinion on the Arden Hills proposal for a new stadium.
    So what is your objective on coming in to these blogs? As far as this blog is concerned it is obvious that it’s not to partake in the point of the blog and that is to give your thoughts on the Arden Hills deal. So what is your opinion on the proposal? I personally think it’s fantastic, whatever it takes to keep the Vikings here in Minnesota.
    SKOL VIKINGS!
    P.S. The Vikings lost Super Bowls long before Mike.W came along with his poorly written articles, so I think this will have little to no effect on the Vikings run for a Super Bowl victory in the future.

59. By Shawn on May 13, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … its a bit hypocritical to jump on the Randy Moss shouldnt be critical and speak his mind band wagon. Randy Moss should censor himself and not express critical thoughts about teammates , coaches , and/or teams … YOU TAKE THIS STANCE WITH RANDY MOSS AS IF YOUR A BETTER MAN THAN HIM !!!!!!

AND THEN YOU GET ON HERE AND DO NOTHING BUT BE CRITICAL OF MIKE Wobs WRITING …. THINK ABOUT IT.

I still like you for the most part but you cant complain about Randy complaining or BEING CRITICAL of Chilly, catering, or losing and then turn around and complain Mike W. isnt good enough … SERIOUSLY IT GETS OLD

If you dont like his writing … STOP READING IT

60. By Brett on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Love the Arden hills site. For those who want it downtown. How many NFL Stadiums are Down town of the City they represent. NOT MANY. Take Gillette stadium for example. That was built in BFE and now its an attraction on its own. There is so much more to do there now around the stadium. Get this done and bring Tailgating back to MN.

61. By animal26 on May 13, 2011 | Reply

The deal look ok, the only thing I wish the legislators would do is create a Referendum and let the people decide on weather they agree on accepting an increase in taxes to build this thing.

62. By animal26 on May 13, 2011 | Reply

looks ok*

63. By Hunterliggettkid on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike,

64. By Hunterliggettkid on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike, thanks for the information and updates. As for the critics of your style or writing skills, they should go get a job at the local newspaper as a proof reader, oh, wait those hardly exist anymore ! Keep up the good work and let the water roll off your back !

65. By Amy on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Stay downtown please! It’s part of the Game Day experience! For all of us who come in from states away, that’s an added bonus.

66. By Titus on May 13, 2011 | Reply

All I can say is most of you did not read this article– Mike changed it very quickly before any of you saw it– I salute Mike for taking the criticism without remark and correcting—However, so most of you get a small sense of the issues, I copied two of the sentences and then changed a word in each as Mike had them. As you can see they are not a typo, but rather incorrect usage of word– verbs for nouns, nouns for verbs.

A big press conference was conducted to make the announcement and the entire develop provided some optimism for Vikings fans in Minnesota.

In addition, the Wilf Ownership group has expressed interesting in bringing Major League Soccer (MLS) back to Minnesota if this stadium proposal is passed.

As far as a championship– I believe we can win one regardless of Mike’s writing— WHAT I am saying is an organization should excel in all areas– especially image. Imagine businessmen dressing poorly– dressing for success is an actual factor in success.

I did check out some of the Superbowl caliber teams– a missing comma here or there– I don’t like commas myself– but the writing is far more dynamic than here– compelling copy. Okay, enough said. I have a business to run.

67. By vikingintexas on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Anything is good at this point, I still think a downtown new stadium the shape of a VIKING SHIP would the envy of all the NFL !!!!

68. By Mike on May 13, 2011 | Reply

I am excited about the Arden Hills location. The Metrodome was ok. I enjoyed it being downtown but space was always a problem. Parking issues for games was always terrible and the people selling $25 spots to park for a few hours will be nice to be done with. I know that parking will cost no matter where the stadium is but that was bad and would never correct itself. Using a location that needed to be cleaned up anyway is a great payoff. I am also glad they chose a retractable facility. Im my opinion spending this much money on a facility you need to be able to use it more than a handful of sundays a year.

69. By DRS on May 13, 2011 | Reply

70. By DRS on May 13, 2011 | Reply

71. By DRS on May 13, 2011 | Reply

The Metrodome was not wanted by most of us Viking fans of the 1960’s & 70’s! In the first place, it is, and was too ugly of a stadium. It looked, and looks cheap. I never liked the idea of a stadium in the downtown area; there is no parking available for the fans to tailgate at the dome. Too many historic businesses where destroyed to make way for that stupid dome. Anyone remember the spaghetti emporium that was down in that area, they had the best spaghetti in all of Minnesota at that time, there building was unbelievable, but now it is gone. Thanks Minnesota Metrodome. Anywhere outside of the twin-cities is a reawaking of a dream that was pro-football in Minnesota. If they build it, we will come to see it and enjoy Minnesota football, as it should be. I really like the retractable roof idea. I will come from NM when the stadium stands outside of the Twin-cities once more.

72. By DRS on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Everyone have a great day.

73. By Frederick Jones on May 13, 2011 | Reply

I think Titus should use the gifts he has been given. He knows grammar, and can help in this area.

Frederickly, I have learned from him.

It will not hurt the organization, that’s for sure.

If you don’t like what someone writes, don’t read it !

This blog is for FUN ! ! !

74. By Andy on May 13, 2011 | Reply

I have been a dedicated Minnesota Vikings fan for going on 43 years now. I have very fond memories of my Father and I watching our Purple Gang dominate at Met Stadium during those wonderful Super Bowl years and all of the other winning seasons we had. I was there when my beloved Fran Tarkenton broke his leg against the Bengals and Tommy Kramer came in to lead an outstanding comeback! We loved tailgating and mingling with all of the dedicated fans in the cold and snow. We loved it when the players came out after the game and drank a hot chocolate with us or had a burger. We loved outdoor football and the Vikings Dominated! Many of my memories as a child are about those chilly Autumn Sundays throwing the football around with my brother or my father then watching the Vikings win. I even had a PURPLE NERF FOOTBALL! My favorite picture of me as a kid is my brother and I in the front yard wearing football helmets (Vikings and Chargers) and holding that Purple Nerf! Playing football outside is like cookies and milk, they just go together! I think I speak for thousands of fans when I say that when the Vikings moved into the dome they lost something. It was just never the same again. I went to the dome, and needless to say, it was very disappointing. It just didn’t feel like football! Although I have never lost my love for my Vikings, I lost my love of going to the games.I just couldn’t get myself to go to that dome. Tailgating was non-existent,parking was a nightmare,the food was horrible,no sky to let the snow fall,no sky to let the sun shine,no smell of fresh cut grass, no hot chocolate in the crisp air, no more Vikings stopping by, and the stale atmosphere of a hospital consumed the entire experience….
    I would do just about anything to get that feeling back! There is nothing like it and the Vikings and fans deserve to get that back! I have stood by this team all of these years and I ask from Mr Wilf and the state that if we build a new stadium lets get it right! To put a roof on a new stadium would be an absolute shame…… I hope that my message can be read by everyone who are fans of the Purple and with a little luck we will once again watch our Purple gang DOMINATE the NFC…… We MUST get this bill passed for Arden Hills and show the rest of the NFL what kind of dynasty this team can be.

75. By Titus on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Frederick– thanks– what is funny to me is everyone here has been debating for weeks and months that words have no power– only sticks and stones, …— and yet, look at the fireworks from my posts— which I might add never used a swear word, never called anyone a name, but asked for a higher standard to be held to—
    When Coach Chilly did not perform well last year— I defended him and got shot down. Now, I question the excellence of this website— and I get shot down— Funny– no matter what side of the coin I am on, people want to argue and be rude– calling me idiot and the like– when did I do anything like that to any of you, or to Mike?
    I would love to see this state strive for excellence– look at that bubbledome we built — I remember all the politicians were so proud they saved so much money– go for the mediocre. It won’t get us a Superbowl, no way. Champions do not compromise. Not in any area. Small details matter. Very much.

76. By Shawn on May 13, 2011 | Reply

So would Randy Moss …. :)

77. By Ponder This! on May 13, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

I’m not hiding anything. When I took the name “Ponder This!” I made a post that I was changing it from Ricefield. I’m not sure what article it was in but I think it was the one when Ponder was announced as the first round pick.

I wasn’t away that if I decide to change my name that I have continue to use my old name so that people don’t think “You’re hiding who you are!”

Anyway, yeah I’m Ricefield and I ain’t hidin’ from nuttin’.

78. By Andy on May 13, 2011 | Reply

TITUS PLEASE READ,
    It’s not about being right or wrong or agreeing with you or the other guy, nor is it the word you might choose. It’s all very pointless and extremely petty! Do you think the 1985 Bears defense was great because they won a spelling bee? You remind me of something my father always says, “TALK IS CHEAP” and yours could possibly be the cheapest!
    The Vikings team will get better with hard work and determination, and another ingredient every team needs, LUCK. It’s football, not English class. I have supported this team for 42 years and I will continue to do so, but one thing I will not do is waste my time being cynical towards the team that I love. I am not an NFL coach and it is not my place to tell them how to do there job. TITUS, maybe you should find a Dan Quayle forum so you can teach him how to spell pataytowe? Oops, I mean potatoe, Oops again, I mean pataytoe…..
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!

79. By Adam on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Honestly the idea of the stadium in Arden Hills over downtown Minnie makes more sense than vice versa. Especially for out of towner’s who, after getting to the Twin Cities, have to drive through the hussle bussle of downtown to get to a non tail-gaiting parking lot/ramp. Sure you can take the light-rail but that only conveniences some. Parking in Arden Hills would definitely build a much better, professional atmosphere on top of a sense of ascending unity via tail-gaiting!!! SKOL!

80. By Rick on May 13, 2011 | Reply

@texasvike Hey I really like that idea talk about a cool stadium, anyway tidus dont check my spelling LoL

81. By Titus on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Andy, you obviously did not read my comments.They have nothing to do with spelling or grammar– you miss the point by a football field. Plus, take it easy– no need to be rude, pal. I don’t know you, nor have I offended you.

82. By no1vikingsfan on May 14, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred: So please do tell at where you draw the line between having fun and constant nitpicking with an overwhelming urge in proving a mediocre point?

83. By Rocksalt on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    Golly gee you sure are smart!…BEEP!!…… Gee willikers, you must be the smartest man in all of Mayberry……BEEP!…..even Floyd the barber says so………BEEP!

84. By Carl K on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Titus_ I think you are the one that might be hiding behind names.
    Ricefield did announce his name change. I remember seeing that post.

Tell me the truth Titus, are you also “Parody”?

I think you have also posted as “Be Sane and Serious”?

Titus… Come out of the closet. Tell us who you are. What is your story? I know you are a gifted writer and teacher? I also know you are a good person and you don’t mean to hurt people with your teaching.

Are you ok? Your “bitterness” over grammatical errors that you catch on this web site leads me to believe you have some pent up resentment over something. What is it? Did you lose a writing or teaching job and now you have to take it out on every thing you read?

85. By rikkyman on May 14, 2011 | Reply

SKOL to Arden Hills! Minnesota Viking fever will be nuts when this stadium opens,thanks to Bud Grant for his input and to Ziggy for listening!

86. By jdog1 on May 14, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering why so many people in this room think it was minneapolis filling the dome every football sunday,i come from eau claire wisconsin and am a season ticket holder i94 west bound would have plenty of cars with purple fans heading to the dome we would honk at each other wave and there were way more than u think we are tough vikes fans to have to put up with the rudest fans in pro sports .I also hear there are plenty of people from the dakota’s and iowa as well we love our vikings as i have been a fan for 37 years. please keep the team in minni and thanks to the wilf’s for really trying to build a great team.mw good job

87. By Woodboat on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Mike W, please know that the rest of us illiterates actually enjoy looking at the ‘purdy pictures wiff duh writings under dem”. Titus, and his ilk, need to take a day off from editing when reading blog content. You are doing a good job.

I’ve heard you get bashed for not asking the tough questions of the vikings… for being a homer. Folks, he isn’t paid by a TV network or a local newspaper… he gets his check from the Vikes. He’d be crazy to bash them if he wants to make his rent.

88. By Woodboat on May 14, 2011 | Reply

I’ve not been to Minn. to see the Vikes play, and don’t really know the lay of the land in the twin cities. That being said, one would think that the metrodome site is probably more restricted than the Arden Hills site. What would they have to tear down and at what cost were they to provide the fans with all the amenities they intend to provide at the out of town site? Is the real estate even available to provide such?

It sounds like the roads and most likely public transit will have to be improved to make the new site accessible. Like an earlier fella posted, I’d not complain about a 10 mile journey to see the games… especially if the new stadium allowed for tailgating and other entertainment not available at the current site.

89. By Woodboat on May 14, 2011 | Reply

BTW, it would be disastrous for the team to move to LA. I live out here in California… LA won’t support the team the way Minn. does. There are two many other avenues of entertainment out here, and people don’t get as passionate about their sports. LA is so bad that the Raiders moved back to Oakland so that they could continue to not sell out the stadium and black out the games in the bay area. LA isn’t the answer, and I think that is one reason the Wilfs are pushing so hard to get this deal done in Minn.

90. By Rocksalt on May 14, 2011 | Reply

right on, Carl K! I was wondering the same……..

91. By Rocksalt on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Good points, Woodboat

92. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on May 14, 2011 | Reply

The new Vikings Stadium will be the most beautiful stadium for the ages of mankind to ever walk this earth…. i cant wait though, it will be a great “all day experience.” The Dome needs to go and they gotta get this stadium up ASAP, words cannot express how excited i am.

93. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Will the stadium really be up in 2014???

94. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey are you guys gonna “get your grills ready for Arden Hills?” I know i am.

95. By Steve on May 14, 2011 | Reply

I LOVE THE ARDEN HILLS site, Best thing to happen to MN in a long time. Thank you Ziggy and Mark Wilf and Arden Hills. Don’t give up the fight.

96. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on May 15, 2011 | Reply

I think Arden Hills is perfect! I think the possibilty of tailgating alone is a good enough reason to build it there. Vikings Hall of Fame and a retractable roof, bring it on! Bring on Green Bay, just like Bud said!!

97. By Scott on May 15, 2011 | Reply

Just do it! Why is it Minnesotans have to go through this every time they build a new stadium? It seems to me that other states (cities) always find a way, but Minnesota is always last. How cheap do they have to be. Tightwads. I’m sick of it like I’m sick of hearing about Brett Favre. If you have a Bible read Matthew chapter 24 and that will tell you that this world is almost gone anyway.(signs of the times) Spend the money and build the stadium in Arden Hills. I live in Iowa now but I’m from Minnesota and I’m glad I moved. I’ve been a Vikings fan since day 1.
    GO VIKINGS!

98. By KanVike on May 15, 2011 | Reply

I will be thrilled to drive from my home in Kansas to see a game in Arden Hills in 2014! My brother and I have been season ticket holders for the last couple of years and one of the problems we have had was deciding where we were going to park. In addition, downtown hotels are too expensive. I will gladly pay 25 dollars to park at the stadium so we can participate in tailgaiting. I can hardly wait until this stadium is done! Go Vikings. Thanks Mark and Ziggy!

99. By Ron H on May 15, 2011 | Reply

The arrogance to ask/demand anyone but the owners pay for the stadium is sickening. I’ll pay for a staduim when they pay for my house.

100. By mapriest on May 15, 2011 | Reply

As a season ticket holder,I am not sure I like the PSL provision in the bill.I am all for paying a share of the package,but to make the Vikings season ticket holders pay a disproportionate share of it is not acceptable. If I get my account credited for someone else using my seat(s) for a non-Vikings related event,then fine,that’s fair.The agreement,as stated,is going to make a whole lot of money for the Vikings,but now you see some of the smoke and mirrors behind the Wilf’s “contribution” to the project. I am all for fair.This is not.I also think that the naming rights money should go to Vikings,the state,and the county to the proportion they contributed to the project. Many things in this bill that are not fair to all parties involved and favor the Vikings a bit too much….

101. By Frederick Jones on May 15, 2011 | Reply

The Arden HiIls site will be fine. We are only talking about a difference of ten miles from Mpls/St. Paul.

It might be easier to get in and out of the stadium.

If it isn’t, that will be something for us to argue about on Vikings.com.

102. By Matt on May 15, 2011 | Reply

Bunch of clowns picking on grammar in this post? You kidding me?

Get to the stinking point!

We need to keep the Vikings here and to do that a stadium must be built – NOW!

We have an owner that has committed to pumping $400,000,000 into our economy within said proposal. And all we do is whine and complain about ancillary and irrelevant points????

We deserve to lose the purple.

Sad.

103. By Parody on May 15, 2011 | Reply

Carl K – Titus and I are two very different people, we just happen to agree on the point that professional writiers, (which in my definition includes anyone who is paid to write to a public crowd), should be held accountable for continuous errors in their writing.

I like the analogy that Titus used to try to get the point across. How would your boss react if you showed up to work every day dressed more casually than the company dress code? If the code is a shirt and tie, and you come in every day with a Budweiser t-shirt, how long would you expect to keep your job? I realize that this analogy is a bit extreme, but hopefully it helps to clarify the argument.

104. By Parody on May 15, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt/Ponder This! – Forgive me for having not read that post. I’m just curious about one thing: if you’re changing your moniker to “Ponder This!”, then why do you continue to use “Rocksalt”?

105. By Parody on May 15, 2011 | Reply

*Please disregard that last post. I made a mistake and addressed Rocksalt instead of Ricefield, who has not been using the old moniker. Sorry for the confusion.

106. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on May 15, 2011 | Reply

I mycelf is a author an yaalllls is none where close ta my gramtactical excripencies so doesnt you be talkin.

107. By PAUL M. on May 16, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE, FELLOW PURPLE & GOLD JERSEY WEARERS –

WITHIN OUR LITTLE PALE GRAY BLOG-BOXES, ALLOW EVERYONE TO BE WHOEVER + WHATEVER THEY WANT TO BE. IF IT GETS TOO UGLY — THEN HEY, THAT’S WHAT MIKE W. GETS PAID TO SORT OUT.

LET’S GET A GRIP! I’M STUPID! . . . YOU’RE FAT! . . . abc IS UPTIGHT!

SO WHAT? STICKS & STONES… LET’S GET A GRIP! WHAT ARE WE — CHICAGO FANS?

108. By PAUL M. on May 16, 2011 | Reply

BY THE WAY, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PLANS ARE FOR THE PRESENT METRODOME REAL ESTATE SITE?

ALSO, WHO WILL OWN ARDEN HILLS & THE METRODOME REAL ESTATE SITES?

109. By Rocksalt on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Now there appears to be a gr@ssroots group of charter-waiving zealots looking to derail the stadium plans….

110. By Rocksalt on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Why is it that everywhere else in the league people are willing to support their teams by approving new/rennovated stadiums, and here in MN we don’t? I just do not understand

111. By Carl K on May 16, 2011 | Reply

@parody – I certainly appericate your writing skill and what you add to the blog.
    I understand your work place analogy and I agree to a point – however, a dress code is a decission/attutude one makes… good writing takes years of education to perfect. Even in the printing business, professional writers, editors and designers make mistakes. People are human, mistakes happen. Yes, it is admirable to want to correct and help teach some to improve when possible, but when you always do it with a “bitterness” or an ungrateful show-me-up spirit it is unproductive and time to move on.

If you are so upset with this website and Mike’s writing, why do you and Titus keep coming back???? IT MAKES NO SENSE TO BE BITTER ALL THE TIME!!!!! MOVE ON! FIND ANOTHER WEB SITE TO PICK ON!!!!!!!!!

112. By Vikingserrday on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus- Honestly, who cares about punctuation? This website is for fans of Vikings to express their opinions, not for you to critique everybody’s dang grammar. We are posting our views on the Vikings stadium, not applying for admission to an Ivy League Univesity.

113. By Carl K on May 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus and Parody- Writing must come easy for the two of you if you think dressing yourself for work is on the same playing field as professional writing.
    That is just NUTZ! It takes ten minutes to learn how to put on a shirt, pants and tie a necktie.

Professional writing takes a great deal of knowledge, creativity and talent.
    You only need fingers and thumbs to dress yourself. Get real.

Blog are a “casual” form of social interaction. So read my lips… STOP RIDING MIKE WOBS BUTT.

114. By Titus on May 16, 2011 | Reply

AT the very least, understand what you are responding to. First, understand analogies are not comprehensive, mirror-like comparisons. They are meant as a tool for understanding. No one is talking about the ease of dressing– but we are speaking of the importance of uniformity across the mission goals of an organization to ensure excellence and an image that can be respected.

Wasn’t it great when Williams had his name misspelled on his jersey? No big deal. Who cares, right? Was it about spelling? NO. Who said Image is everything was not entirely wrong. It was an embarrassment to the whole organization. Vikings deserve the best in all phases–

Carl, an Editor/ Writer of a major NFL website better be professional– otherwise, why not hire a farmer to be an engineer? If your profession is listed as a writer, well, what are you? Mineral or Vegetable?
    The blogs may be casual, but the articles for the site should be of a higher standard.

This is not about grammar– anyone that says so continuously does not read what I have written. I could care less about the grammar.

115. By JIM on May 16, 2011 | Reply

I would have liked down by Eagan/Burnsville/Bloomington/Eden Prairie/Shokopee area better, closer to Mall of America, Mystic Lake Casino and alot of great restraunts and hotels. Also a great road system. I lived IN Minneapolis for 9 years and downtown sucks. I live in southern Minnesota now and will gladly make the drive to Arden Hills. A few more miles compared to downtown is a no brainer. I know people that DON’T go to the games because of the hassle of parking and TRYING TO GET THE H OUT OF DOWNTOWN after the game! You won’t have a problem selling out this stadium! SKOL VIKINGS!!

116. By Josh on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Titus, let it go! If you don’t like the articles and the professionalism, do us all a favor and don’t come back.

117. By VikesfanNO on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Who cares where it is just as long as its in Minnesota

118. By Rick B on May 17, 2011 | Reply

The site is secondary to the stadium itself and they made the right decision to go with a retractable roof. It may add tremendous initial cost, but I believe will pay for itself many times over in the long run. For better or worse, Minnesotans have been used to sitting indoors for over 20 years. You are taking an attendence risk by asking them to go back to the old days and weather game after game in December/Jan in freezing temperatures. Now you’ll get the fair weather fans on both those Indian summer fall days and those cold, snowy December days. Best of both worlds. I think ticket sales with go through the roof. No pun intended.