Vikings Fan Experiences Draft From Unique Perspective

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 2, 2011 – 2:33 pm

For the 254 football players who were just drafted onto NFL teams, this past weekend was the moment for which they’ve preparing their whole life. But they weren’t the only ones who enjoyed a once-in-a-lifetime experience this past weekend.

Life-long Vikings fan Jerry Hansen, a Minnesota native and decades-long draft junkie, was a winner in the NFL/Verizon Mobile Draft Dream Sweepstakes, which means he got a behind-the-scenes look at the NFL draft live from Radio City Music Hall in NY City.

Click here to view a video of Hansen making the pick.

“I’ve been a draft junkie since Mel Kiper, Jr. first started issuing his annual draft report and would answer the phone himself,” Hansen told me from NY City this past weekend. “I love the NFL draft. I used to take vacation days from work so I could watch the entire draft.”

Hansen announced the Saints 3rd-round pick, DB Johnny Patrick out of Louisville, because the Vikings didn’t have a pick in that round. But he was also able to announce the Vikings 4th-round pick, DT Christian Ballard out of Iowa. But more than just announcing the draft picks, which multiple other winners of the sweepstakes were also able to do, Hansen says the thrill was all-encompassing. From running into NFL legends in his hotel to watching the top college prospects get their names called in the 1st round, the experience is one Hansen will never forget.

“To be here after all these years, and now to be there sitting at the Vikings draft table and talking to Scott Studwell, it was so surreal. I wore my Scott Studwell jersey and I’m talking to him on the phone as we made our pick. It was just unbelievable. I’m in a rush right now just talking about it.”

Jerry traveled to NY City with his wife and following their time at Radio City Music Hall for the NFL Draft they enjoyed the Grey Line tour of the city. Jerry said he’d been to NY City in the past on business, but he’s always wanted to visit Ground Zero. As fate would have it, events transpired literally hours after Jerry and his wife returned home from their trip and Usama bin Laden had been killed by American Special Forces.

Said Jerry in an email to me this morning, “I wanted to make sure I saw Ground Zero and when we got home last night we heard they got bin Laden. Our timing on the trip was good…”

I couldn’t have written it better myself.

Tags:

49 Responses to “Vikings Fan Experiences Draft From Unique Perspective”

1. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Gee, I think I’ve been insulted by the quarterback, wide receiver, running back lovers.

Some of you guys think it’s like backyard playground football, where you don’t even have a center but just yell “shotgun.”

That kind of football does not come close to resembling the real thing.

2. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

NOW is the time to do something about our weaknesses. Do not wait until the season starts AND START COMPLAINING ABOUT THE QUARTERBACK(S).

3. By Mike B on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Fred lets see where you’re coming from on the OL, so we can all see your logic. I still don’t see it.

4. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

“When are da vikin’s gonna finnn a quartabak they can win wif?”

I’ve been hearing that line since Tommy Kramer was the Vikings QB.

5. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.

Well let’s see if I can spell it out for you.

WE NEED ALL-PROS ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE JUST AS MUCH AS IN THE BACKFIELD AND AT END !

6. By DaNorseman on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred

How are you so negative all the time? Do you go through everyday being absolutely stressed? I bet your self-conscious. I bet you are a very paranoid individual. I can also bet you struggle to meet people and sustain relationships.
    What sort of pathetic satisfaction do you get by rambling on and on with stupidity? Do you struggle to explain yourself so that others can understand your thought process?

If you cannot not understand any of this yourself than I forgive your very low IQ. Grow up because this is a grown up world where people have grown up conversations and reasoning.

By the way, quite being a fool. Ya, a fool is a silly or stupid person; a person who lacks judgment or sense. Fred……. your a FOOL until you prove otherwise.

7. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

DaNorseman,

When they did that poll on what the Vikings need most (excluding quarterback, natch) the fans picked OFFENSIVE LINE.

So I guess there are ALOT of us who lack judgement—lol

8. By Parody on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@DaNorseman – If you’re going to attempt to call someone out for their lack of intelligence, it would help if you hid your own by checking your spelling and grammar before you post.

Just FYI.

9. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

DaNorseman,

Yes, I admit to being negative. Did you read the comments after the first day of the draft?

Was the last letter you sent to me negative???

10. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Da Norseman and Mike B.,

Explain YOUR position. Why is it a good idea to have lousy linemen and defensive backs???

11. By Mike B on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Fred McKinnie is an allpro OT Hutch is an allpro OG. We have a 3rd Center and a 2nd yr Tackle. Hmm don’t sound to bad to me. Be Specific go with more than just last years performance. I think you could pass blame all over the team for last year. I would specifically point out the QB since I am a QB lovin guy. Lots of mistakes were made against some of the leagues best teams last year. One other thing you bring up the colts and patriot what is one thing they don’t have to worry about a QB. Those teams both have Superbowl winning/Hall of Fame QBs. We just want to see what you got other than noise.

12. By DaNorseman on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Ya my bad about the message before as it may go too far but things need to be seen in the right context. So my bad but I speak for a lot of people that would certainly enjoy speaking with you without the high strung comments all the time.

That poll you speak of is by the FANS who are random people, civilians, basically everyday people. I think i’ll take the minds of people within the organization that have gone through years of all levels of football and are professionals at what they do.

I also highly agree with you that are offensive line is by no means where it should be at but I do have a gut feeling that it will be better than last year by simply an increased better play throughout, different coaching staff, a couple players getting more experience, eventual free agency and who knows the rookies may actually step in.

Demarcus Love OT Arkansas – played in all sorts of zone blocking schemes which is what the Vikes will be running which is a huge plus. Love was also rated higher so getting him in the 6th (I believe) is great value. He actually played at guard also which is where he excelled at. Great size, understands the system, and is best at guard (which is a need), Love could end up being a great pick

Brandon Fusco C Slippery Rock (Ha ridiculous school name)- Fusco has great size. He was D.II best offensive lineman of the year. Ya, D. II people may say is not D.I but he did awesome during the senior bowl which had some of the nations top players. Fusco actually wasn’t always this big until he really was getting into weight room so he could get even bigger. Very athletic, good size, and also being in a zone based blocking scheme, all the sudden we could have a steal for a center. Keep your eye on this kid.

Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame – Is one of the best TE to come out in a while. 6’6” 1/2 inches is huge so the redzone he will be getting the jump ball. What sets himself apart from of TE players is that he is fast, great hands, great route runner but he can BLOCK. Will only help AP more when we go to two TE set which Musgrave loves to do. Defenses will need to play honest because if they all flush to AP, a simple play-action and you could see either Shianco or Rudolph making big gains. Also, Rudolph was a high touted basketball player and we all know some of the games best at TE were also ballers.

All in all I think your beating on the OL too much. Could it be better? Oh yes! Do I personally think it should be improved before next season? Gol dang it yes! But the line all in all I believe will be just fine and also be better than last year.

13. By DaNorseman on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Last year also seemed worse just because Hutchinson was all banged up and missed the end. RG Herrea was knocked out for the rest of the season at the beginning. Sullivan had nagging injuries all year so the entire interior line was constantly being moved around with non-starters, rookies, and players who normally do not play a certain position. Not to mention what most people don’t realize that Phil Loadholt was not full health for a lot of the season but he just played through it.

Add in that Rice was out for pretty much the whole season. Harvin was missing time because of migraines. Teams were just stacking the box like never before and blitzing so so dang much because no defense had to worry about the passssing game that much. Put in the Favre was not really mobile in any way.

Take all those factors you then have a perfect storm for what would appear as an awful line to the average eye. So I can say pretty confidently that the Minnesota Vikings line will appear to be improved and better than last years.

14. By Rogerthevikefan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

How about Matt Light or Doug Free? Light is a unrestricted free agent maybe the go after him when the lockout is over. That is if Big Mac doesn’t step up. If they do sign Light then try to trade Mac for a 3rd maybe a tackle needy team will give up more.

15. By xvike on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Danorseman. The only problem with the oline last year was that they were inconsistent and you could make a strong case that injuries were probably the reason. They would do good one week and the do dreadful the next. But i agree that it would be unfair to judge them just based off their performance last year. You also have to look at the years before that also. Although i do agree that the oline could improve, it wasn’t the top need in this years draft. Now i was looking for them to take one with the second pick but i’m actually happy that they took kyle rudolph. There’s probably a good chance they would’ve taken one with the third but too bad we didn’t have one. From there on, the vikings just pretty much took the best available that also fit their needs. I’m confident that the oline will do a better job blocking and protecting the qb this year if they are healthy. But DaNorseman pretty much summed up the reason why the vikings did so bad last year.

16. By Rogerthevikefan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Love or DeGeare will probably start at Rg if Herrera is not healthy. While Fusco probably can out muscle Sully so if he can learn the protections he could be the starting center.

17. By Rogerthevikefan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Love was considered at least a 3rd rounder and they got him in the 6th. I think he would likely win the starting job over DeGeare, but DeGeare got some experiance as a starter so right now he is ahead of Love.

18. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B. and DaNorseman

I’ve also been called way to positive. In fact the last guy who got mad at me tried to make fun of me for trying to get him to believe in our new qb.

The offensive line did have a good year in 2009, in fact they were ranked very high in some articles.

Brett Favre was also an All-Pro that year. Do you see where I am headed?

We did help ourselves out in the draft this year. Let’s get the remaining pieces of the puzzle. I’ll try to be less negative about the Vikings.

19. By vikings 4-7 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

We have a very real chance of being one of if not the worst team in the NFL this year. Whether you believe this or not let me ask the fans what happens if we are in a position to go for Andrew Luck next year. We pass on him and let Ponder make us or break us. I say Ponder will be a memory next year when we again take a QB LUCK!

20. By Mr Smiff on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Not to be a wet blanket here, but I’m not pleased with this draft. The Vikings addressed their most pressing needs in the back end of the draft, instead of the the opening rounds. Now the Vikings are going to have to pay Ponder like a first rounder instead of the second rounder he really is, face Fairley twice a year and hope that the o-line somehow holds up this season (if there is one.)

21. By DaNorseman on May 2, 2011 | Reply

The more I see our offensive weapons I get just that more excited.

(WR) –
    Sidney Rice (most likely will be back)
    Percy Harvin (Scary how much better he will become)
    Emmanuel Arceneaux (Top CFL WR. Is young and fast with decent size and pretty much had the choice between 16 teams and Frazier got him to come to MN!)
    Bernard Berrian (Not a #1 WR but if in right position can make plays)
    Juaquin iglesias (Young and very fast WR decided to leave the bears to play for the Vikes. Will he be good? Dont know but the potential I will say is for sure there)
    Stephen Burton (Rookie that who knows could turn into a productive player)
    Greg Camerillo (Awesome role player, just does his job)

(TE) –
    Vithanthe Shianco (An all rounded TE that is among the better TE in the NFL)
    Kyle Rudolph (Will be a star I guarantee it. Can do everything!)
    Jimmy Kliensasser (What else would you want from a guy? Is getting older but still getting better at catching is amongst the best blocking TE in the NFL)

(RB)-
    Adrian ‘All Day’ Peterson (Best RB in the NFL. Period!)
    Toby Gerhart (Heisman runner-up and improved as the season went. Im excited to see how much better he could be this next season.)
    Lorenzo Booker (Proved he can be a great role player. Joined late in the season so with more time under his belt he may find a better groove.)

Honorable mention –
    QB/WR JOE WEBB (I am expecting Ponder to start as long as the lockout doesnt drag out too far but man I bet Musgrave will do interesting things with this freak of nature) They will line him up outside, make some catches, do some reverses, and then BAM they will do some trick play toss to Webb and he’ll toss it down the field to another WR)

Like we have some serious weapons on the offense. I fully believe also that the OL will be improved this year. Take in Musgraves offensive knowledge and the Vikings could be a dangerous team.

If Ponder does start he will be in a better situation than any other QB in the draft because of all these weapons.

22. By DaNorseman on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Of course that is all being super positive and it’s all just on paper. Still it’s at least interesting to see the potential that the Vikings offense could have this next NFL season.

23. By paul on May 2, 2011 | Reply

DaNorseman you forgot who made all of these offensive weapons look so good, he wore #4

Who will threw there first T.D. pass in the N.F.L., Ponder or Webb?

24. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

t e s t

25. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Paul,

You and I know it depends on the CBA mess. If it’s settled quickly I’m betting Ponder gets to start. Otherwise expect to see Joe Webb start.

We may have quite a battle between Webb and Ponder, unless a free agent is obtained. Perhaps even then we’ll have a qb controversy all season.

26. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

DaNorseman, before you call people fool, please go back to fifth grade English and learn basic grammar. Life has a funny way of raining on those who throw mud— calling people stupid when your writing appears, well, … I am not going to sling mud, but just sayin’ Hey OH.

27. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

DaNorseman– a case study (actual text from one of your posts) to prove my theory:

WOW, that is a doozy. Seriously? Do people even read beyond an Internet blog?

28. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

How are you doing Fred? Don’t listen to the negative dirt being flung toward you.
    I appreciate your positive outlook on life. We will be just fine this year. In fact, I predict 10-6 at a minimum.

29. By NewEraVikings on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully this cba thing gets resolved soon this month, I’m really hoping for ponder to start against the chargers. Yeah people are going to say why start him just let him hold the clipboard and learn, well football is a hands on game you learn playing it not watching it. The qb’s that stay on the sidelines for couple seasons still made plenty of mistakes playing live football. Ponder is ready more than what people think his mindset is ready to play. Once ponder gets used to the nfl game speed, he will be throwing darts all over the field naturally.

30. By NewEraVikings on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully this cba thing gets resolved soon this month, I’m really hoping for ponder to start against the chargers. Yeah people are going to say why start him just let him hold the clipboard and learn, well football is a hands on game you learn playing it not watching it. The qb that stayed on the sidelines for couple seasons still made plenty of mistakes playing live football. Ponder is ready more than what people think his mindset is ready to play. Once ponder gets used to the nfl game speed, he will be throwing darts all over the field naturally.

31. By NewEraVikings on May 2, 2011 | Reply

A good package to use on offense would be shank, rudolph, ap, gerhart, harvin this formation would cause mismatches.

32. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Mr Smiff– HEY! How are you?

33. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Where is Nova?

34. By Woodboat on May 2, 2011 | Reply

New Era…. about your lineup. With one WR, who really is a slot guy, 2 TEs and 2 RBs, whats going to keep the CBs and Safetys honest? You think the defesnses load up the box now, wait until they put TEN in the box. Rudolph and Shank don’t block particularly well, nor does AP. Ponder would be on a stretcher claiming to be Batman by week 2. lol

35. By Woodboat on May 2, 2011 | Reply

You are wrong Fred. CBA early or late, I expect to see McNabb start. I don’t WANT to see McNabb start, but…

36. By Woodboat on May 2, 2011 | Reply

The pundits compare our new QB to Chad Pennington. I wonder whose career his will most likely emulate…. Penningtons or David Carrs.

37. By NewEraVikings on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Pennington is dead accurate but injury prone like an egg, lets hope ponder will not get the injury side of it. I’d say ponder is more of a pennington/eli manning type of mold as far as the way they play, correct me if I’m wrong.

38. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat,

What are you talking about? The Vikings haven’t obtained McNabb yet.

Some “pundant” said he didn’t think the Vikings would try to get McNabb because the asking price could be $8 Million or more.

@Titus,

Thank you. I also noticed someone took a few shots at you, including foul language. You were cool though !

It was like the regular season during the draft. Lots of the old blogger names aren’t around anymore. lol

39. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Frederick, I admit, the intensity adds some fun to the blog; it’s like a good jambalaya– a bit hot, but enjoyable.

40. By joshK on May 2, 2011 | Reply

tank the season!~ lmao. vikes have a bitter fan base right now.

we were 1 of 3 teams to receive a C in our draft grade.

i dont think Fairely will be as dominant as he was his last season so im not bitter we passed on him even though the Lions got em.

i would have really liked to see mike pouncey on our roster instead of ponder and a QB next year.

but all coaches do it, their 1st year they grab w/e QB is available and ride that train with blind faith.

41. By wacky on May 3, 2011 | Reply

YOU ARE ALL DUM-A$$’S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. By PAPA_SNOPS on May 3, 2011 | Reply

whats done is done. There is still alot of Freeagents out there. The Oline we’ll fine. And i hope they dont bring in Mcnabb i dont wanna see 2010 again.

43. By Jeffgeorge on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m happy we finally got a franchise since when did we ever mention that word it has always been the sloppy leftovers we took now its time we have a fresh one we can develop and call our own.

44. By Nick on May 3, 2011 | Reply

DeAndre McDaniel and Ian Williams. Both would provide quality depth at what are still needy positions and both should have been drafted in the middle rounds. After all, how can you go wrong with two guys named McDaniel and Williams!

45. By Todd on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Vikings need a tougher training camp, I can already hear singleterry yelling at the backers. More scrimmages, more blitzing we are putting too much plate on the front 4 to get to the qb all the time. Linebackers must blitz more, we already seen what rodgers can do with only a 4 man rush he will slice us apart we need pressure from backers, corners, safties. This team has got to create pressure defensively rushing 4 is fading away in the nfl teams are blitzing and being creative to confuse the qb. Vikings defense is too predictable.

46. By Todd on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I’ve noticed cover 2 defensive teams haven’t won the super bowl for a while since the bucs days teams already know how to counter attack the cover 2. One thing I do know for sure 3-4 teams wins more superbowls. Actually the colts did win one but cover 2 should be tossed away, its okay to sometimes use the formation, but don’t stay true to the scheme 100 percent the vikings are too much into the scheme we don’t blitz a lot.

47. By vikes4lyfe on May 3, 2011 | Reply

We have lots of weapons on both sides of the field and we do need a good quarterback but unless we get some consistent protection for our QB we are going to have the same year as last maybe even worse. And our d needs to step up their pass defense thats always been a big thing other teams make plays way to easy that way we need to focus on the cornerbacks and safties.

48. By joshK on May 3, 2011 | Reply

@Fred

i think we need to get all pros at every position and than we’ll be ok.

lets just take 10 picks in the first round next year. trade away all our future picks. lets win now now now!

49. By DuaneN on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Lol Joshk. Vikings fanbase has been bitter for a long time. Here’s how you sum up the last 20 years. We sent the Falcons and Saints to the Super Bowl. Nuff said.