A Few More Stats Supporting Ponder’s Big Spot Ability

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 2, 2011 – 8:27 am

CJ did a great job in the previous entry of detailing some of QB Christian Ponder’s success in big-spot moments, contradicting some of the criticisms the Vikings 1st-round pick has received from the likes of Trent Dilfer, even though he’s yet to take the field in the NFL.

Now, we don’t want to annoint Ponder as the next Tom Brady or Joe Montana just yet. He hasn’t stepped foot on an NFL field, so I don’t want to assume he’s going to be a clutch performer when we need him to be that. However, I’ve come across a few other interesting tidbits on Ponder that contradict what Dilfer and others have said. Here they are…

– In total on 3rd downs, Ponder had a college passer rating of 131.0 and a TD/INT ratio of 20-8.
— In 4th quarter come-from-behind wins, Ponder had a 67.5% completion rate with a 160.7 college passer rating and a 2-0 TD/INT ratio.
— 41 of Ponder’s 45 third-down completions were for either TDs or 1st downs in 2010.

Tags:

70 Responses to “A Few More Stats Supporting Ponder’s Big Spot Ability”

1. By Malte on May 2, 2011 | Reply

the stat that impresses me the most is the money down stat.. 41 of the 45 completiions went for 1st down. That means he is not just checking it down, he is going for the 1 down1 or Touchdown

2. By Shut up on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Of course you idiot you work for the Vikings. You are as objective as a stupid republican. Shut your f’ing mouth dbag.

3. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I agree, the numbers will prove misleading or not once he steps foot on a NFL playing field, but I still say Dilfer knows what he can do with his comments on our young new QB, I also agree that I take it more on an attack on the Vikings organization rather than Ponder himself.

4. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Shut up! Dilfer is that you? I do not work for the Vikings and I say right back at you, you were nothing but a wanna be and envious jealousy will get you nowhere.

5. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Dilfer probably feels that the Vikings were 6-10 last year, and won’t be much better this year.

Since we have no offensive line, what chance does any quarterback have in MN.

Heck, Don McNabb probably doesn’t want to come here and look like
    Brett “Quick Release” Favre.

We HAD BETTER (Should) (MUST) get some GOOD offensive linemen.

6. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings think they can win with a 500 pound QB, and an offensive line that averages 95 pounds.

Sorry, it don’t not work that way.

7. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

8. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

And didn’t the Colts and Patriots take OFFENSIVE LINEMEN in the first round this year?

9. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Will we do have an O-line, they just need to step up and do there jobs, the chances a QB has in Minnesota is the chances he makes for himself.

10. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

And don’t blame all the teams failures on the O-line, Brett had a lot do with it.

11. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

AND THE untalented DILFER KNOWS YOU CAN’T HAVE A 5OO POUND QB WITH A 95 POUND OFFENSIVE LINE AND EXPECT TO WIN ! ! !

I’m hoping for some sanity among Frazier and Spielman. Perhaps it will come.

12. By Frederick Jones on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Struck a sore spot? lol

13. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

If you recall one of our best wins last year did not come under the guns of Brett, nor did it come from our sorry back up QB T.J. but came under the belt of a rookie QB Webb and that was against a good Eagles team.

14. By Mike B on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Fred maybe you should explain your position on the OL and why you are so keen on why our OL is so bad. I think there is a lot of emotion about McKinnie and him having an attitude problem during the 09 probowl. He was playing overwieght last year and said he was going to get down to his playing wieght this year. I want to take him at his word that he is removitated. Hutch is always giving 100 percent even with injuries. Sullivan was hurt last year, but played adequate as a rookie in 09. He should be ready to have a good year this year. Loadholt didn’t have a bad rookie year, but there needs to be some improvement in his game. RG is still done by committee and that needs to be resolved. TE Kliensasser and Dugan are our blocking TE with Shank and the new kid as receiving TE. I would point out we had the toughest schedule in the NFL last year, so we were going to lose some games. The packers won the superbowl with a 10-6 regular season record. There you are Fred explain the OL to us all. have a nice day.

15. By Ekolu on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Mike, that’s some good stuff, also Id like to add that he went thru a coup and still held things together at FSU. He alos beat their 2 biggets rivals Miami and Florida from the SEC, that’s huge.

16. By stew on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred

You constantly state that the colts and patriots made the playoffs and took 1st round o-linemen. That’s because they can do that their not in our position so you can’t compare us to them. Just saying!

17. By Ekolu on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Mike, that’s some good stuff, also Id like to add that he went thru a coup and still held things together at FSU. He also beat their 2 biggest rivals Miami and Florida from the SEC, that’s huge. The best thing would be for the Vikings to let him sit, however look at what Musgrave did with Matty Ice. There are ways to protect a young QB. Atlanta had Michael “The Burner” Turner. Well we’ve got All Day, Toby G, and Percy Harvin. They will simplify the blocking schemes, Chris DeGeare got some very valuable experience, McKinnie is working out w/Venus, Sullivan is healthy, Hutch was held out for precautionary reasons. We picked up a couple of OL to make competition along the whole front, and we brought in an athletic TE. Think Tony Gonzales, Rob Gronkowski, and Jermichael Finley.

18. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred: Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the Colts and Patriots make the playoffs last year?

Your right! they both went, correct me if I am wrong, they both drafted heavy on the O-line, which moire than likely means, there ride to the playoffs did not come on the arms of there O-line, but came on the arms of there QB’s, think about it?

19. By DaNorseman on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred

Sometimes you give good comments with decent incite but more often than not you sound like a complete idiot. I think you would rather say nothing at all to come across as a mute than open your mouth and sound like a fool. Cause thats what you are most days…………… a complete FOOL.

20. By CTol on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think drafting Ponder was a terrible choice, I just would have rather seen Fairley, Pouncey, or Prince drafted with the 12th overall draft pick to address other issues. In my opinion, he would have still been there in the 2nd round.

21. By JD24 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

We drafted o-line last year and took a couple again this year. We needed a good young QB to eventually take over for the long list of over aged has beens we’ve had at QB in MN (Moon, George, Cunningham, Ferotte, Johnson, Farve) how many time do we have to keep doing it before someone realizes it’s stupid? Why cant anyone see the logic in that pick? I for one thought we would pick up a QB via free agency and we still may, but we also needed to draft one.

22. By JD24 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ctol, I agree with you but it’s come out that Was, Mia were both interested in Ponder and picking right behind us. They tried to trade back and still get Ponder but they couldn’t do it and still pick before both of those teams.

23. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Sorry gang, my post is unrelated to football— But a response to OLD SCHOOL from a previous blog which is fading to the past (but Old School commented on yesterday).

First off Old School, who continues to call me names, much the way a fourth grader would behave, realize when you put words in quotation marks, those words must be exactly as the original text. This is your rendition of my words:

“Are mission is a SuperBowl”….Blah…Blah….Blah……..

REALLY, OLD SCHOOL? ARE is NOT Our. I know the difference and would NEVER make such an error. You are more likely NEW SCHOOL because when I was in school I learned proper grammar. You need an education, pal. Are for our, your for you’re? Seriously. Get off the blog and do your homework.

24. By Stoney on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Good points Mike, ctol very doubtful Ponder would have been there in 2nd.. Hey SHUT UP you sound like an ahole liberal! Sorry about your boy bin laden!

25. By David P on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I guess we have to have faith that the vikings brass picked the right player. I hope so but Fairley and SIU are going to ha ve a field day with Ponder next year.

26. By DRS on May 2, 2011 | Reply

By (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    KARE11.com
    updated 4/28/2011 10:18:01 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — If the Legislature approves public funding for a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings, much of the money could come from Minnesota Twins fans.

The stadium bill introduced recently at the State Capitol offers a list of potential taxes, ranging from ticket fees to sales taxes in the community that hosts the team. Details remain vague, but Minnesota Public Radio reported Thursday that a new Revenue Department analysis is clear on one thing: about 60 cents of every $1 the state pays for a stadium would come from one source: a 10 percent tax on sports memorabilia.

27. By Rudolphisbeast on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Fairly and sue won’t get to ponder he has a quick release and can also scramble somewhat ap will still run over them.

28. By kellly on May 2, 2011 | Reply

am i the only one who thinks Fairley will be a bust?

29. By DRS on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Has a rookie quarterback ever gone to the Super Bowl?

Answer:

No rookie quarterback (as or 2010-11 season) has ever led a team to the Super Bowl, or started in a Super Bowl. Ben Roethlisberger holds the record for being the youngest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl, prior to that Tom Brady held that title, both won in their 2nd years in the NFL.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_a_rookie_quarterback_ever_gone_to_the_Super_Bowl#ixzz1LDtHe6dV

30. By Nole fan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Perfect example of Ponder melting under pressure. In 2009, on the road against the#1 pass defense in the nation (unc), FSU trailed by 18 points in the 3rd quarter. Ponder led us to a comeback win by finishing the game completing his final 16 pass attempts for 200 yards and 3 TD’s.

31. By DRS on May 2, 2011 | Reply

We need at the very least a second year QB to lead us to the SB this year. A good O-line and D-line would help as well. A good defense makes an excellent offense in my opinion, Have a great day and God bless U-All.

32. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Pretty hard for a rookie QB to go all the way– lots of pressure, but who knows? Would be nice to be the first team to do so.

33. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I predict the Vikings will be in the super bowl within 3 years.

34. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I can see it now– Vikings outside at New York for the Superbowl.

35. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Fred, our Oline will be fine. Frazier and company know what they are doing. Mostly, our Oline needs to stay healthy and have good coaching.

36. By Parody on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Yea, and I predicted the Vikings would be in the Super Bowl when Favre arrived. I even hawrote a poem for the prediction that just made it make too much sense:

Number four
    wins XLIV
    with the team of 0 and 4
    from Super Bowls of Before.

37. By Parody on May 2, 2011 | Reply

We got so close, it broke my heart that my prediction didn’t come to fruition.

38. By Sean on May 2, 2011 | Reply

yay people supporting ponder! I personally thought it was a great pick about 3 hours after lol

39. By Parody on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I just learned that Chrîstian Ballard, our 4th round defensive lineman, was the great-nephew of Hank Ballard. So does that mean that when he gets on the field and records a sack he’ll start doing the twist?

40. By DSC on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@CTol,
    There’s NO WAY that Ponder would have been available in the 2nd Round. Washington traded Pick 10 to Jax in order to get Ponder at a “better value” at Pick 16. The Redskins WERE going to draft Ponder at #16-Shanahan really wanted him, so the Vikings HAD to get him at #12 if they were at all.

41. By DuaneN on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Nap time Frederick.

Lol parody, broke my heart my prediction came true.

42. By DuaneN on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Really funny how most everyone seems to agree that Ponder would have been taken between 25 and 40, but yet the Vikings are total idiots for taking him at 12.

They didn’t have a pick between 25 and 40 so that means he can’t be on the team? It’s not like tradedowns are really easy to do (unless ur taken advantage of obv). LOL at pretending there is a huge difference between the 25th pick and the 12th pick.

43. By Matt on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I agree. Ponder would not have been available after 16 miami or washington would have taken him. Also with all the other positions that we need (OL, DL, CB, S, maybe LB and WR) it’s alot easier to get a quality player later in the first or second rounds but with QB it’s pretty hard. 10 out of the 12 playoff teams this year had QB’s that were drafted in the first round. We made the right choice. I don’t think we’ll picking as high as 12 for quite a while so this was our chance and we took it. Besides that the bust rate for defensive linemen drafted in the first round is aweful.

44. By Matt on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Am I the only one here that thinks if Ponder was healthy the whole year and had any weapons to work with, he would have been in consideration for the 1st overall pick.

45. By Elgar on May 2, 2011 | Reply

No, Matt you are not alone.

46. By Rogerthevikefan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

When they said the Vikes draft CP7 I was excited. Ponder is awesome and he will be great. He is the perfect west coast Qb. Dilfer’s opinion is utter GARBAGE. He was carried by Ray Lewis and the rest of the D. They didn’t even bring him back after winning a super bowl. So how about he goes and hides in a rat hole.

47. By TWR on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Kellly, Im with toy.Fairly is way overrated and suh can be blocked. Everyone lopves the Lions now after years of talkin trash about them. Don’t worry Vikings fans Ponder is going to be a excellent QB for years to come. He will outdue Rogers.

GGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOO VVVVVikes

48. By bob on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder was so inconsistant in college. An was always injured. I never thought he did anything special. But i guess we’re stuck with him. Please don’t boo him in 2-3 years if he isnt playing well.

49. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Correct me if I am wrong, but—Wasn’t Dilfer a mediocre quarterback for 90% of his career? Wasn’t he with Tampa?

50. By no1vikingsfan on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Bob, I don’t know how you can say Ponder didn’t do anything special, are you still going on what all the draft analyst are saying on Ponder or have you actually looked for yourself and did some research on what Ponder has accomplished?

51. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Then he went to the Ravens and won a Superbowl because of an awesome defense. Without that ring, Dilfer would be doing talk radio in Des Moines. (Nothing against Des Moines.)

52. By Titus on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Frazier and Speilman do this for a living– Gee, I wonder, do you think they threw a dart at a wall and hit a pic of Ponder– yeah, let’s choose him with our 12th pick.
    Come on, people— they see a lot in Ponder– they did WAY more homework than all the bloggers COMBINED– and then multiply that a dozen times. I am excited to see Ponder play.

53. By Betty O on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Just hope my guy Joe Webb gets a chance to prove he’s a really excellent quarterback. Just because he came from UAB doesn’t mean he’s not talented. Look at Roddy White.

54. By arthur on May 2, 2011 | Reply

What yall dont realize is that Ponder is quite mobile, hes no Mike Vick but hes certainly capable of taking off…His smarts and athleticism will certainly help with the lack of an o line…if you havent had a chance to watch him in college, I would suggest you look up highlights from the 2009 FSU vs UM game where ponder ran for 140 yards in pouring rain

55. By allday on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Dilfer’s mad because he was never as good as Ponder. Dilfer said he saw film on Ponder but I can’t seem to find that film. I think he was talking out the side of his neck hoping he was right for once. Just because he won a Superbowl doesn’t make him god. As I remember, he had a great team around him. At this point, no one should listen to the has been, or should I say never was.

56. By joshK on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponders guna throw for 4k yards, 30 TD’s, and win 2 superbowls his first year.

57. By drew on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey we the Vikngs every year we waste one or two of our draft picks. Everybody Viking fan knows this! it seem like we try to stay mediocore. if we were going to draft Ponder, prove we love Florida State qb’s, we draft one a few years back and he’s out the league.

58. By no1vikingsfan on May 4, 2011 | Reply

@ Drew: what a perfect world it would be if all our draft picks became big name players, how easily people forget JaMarcus Russell 1st overall pick in 2007, according to those draft analyst he was sent to the NFL from God, I am sure even after his rookie season the Raiders and those analyst didn’t believe he would be the biggest draft bust of all time. Give Ponder what he deserves, a chance to prove himself and Dilfer still is a stink weed.

59. By Joe on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Vikings draft looks pretty good to me.Ponder can hit on the run.Makes him look very good to the recievers.Oline will be there enough to just stall the D.I’m more worried about the Vikings D.That’s where there is concern.

60. By jack on May 4, 2011 | Reply

this guy is good men , 100% accuracy ,and i hope he helps the minnesota! if he plays in minnesota what he played in florida state , i thing we will go far! gooo minnesota!

61. By Phantom0 on May 4, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder should just cut his hair. One less thing for him to worry about.

62. By 4eversteve on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Ponder should be able to absorb the playbook very quickly and he is a film room addict and a gym rat. That a combination I will take in a quarterback every time over one who is expecting to rest what the accomplished in college an expect that will be good enough as a pro and I think most of you can figure out to whom I’m referring to in this statement, but may not exclude a few other rookie quarterbacks coming into the league this year also!

63. By Rick on May 10, 2011 | Reply

DILFER GET A LIFE BLA BLA BLA TALKING HEAD BLA BLA BLA

64. By golf aftermarket parts on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming yet again to read more news.

65. By http://naturalvitiligotreatmentsystempdf.Blogspot.com/ on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Vitamin E is the primary defender against oxidation,
    primary defender against lipid peroxidation (creation of
    unstable molecules containing more oxygen than is usual).

The nutritional value of these supplements are immense and specific to the needs of those with skin ailments, such as vitiligo.
    When considering a persons diet, with respect to the Vitiligo
    condition, there are two very important aspects to take into
    account.

66. By fat burning furnace free download on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious experience about unpredicted feelings.

67. By carb nite solution pdf on Oct 18, 2013 | Reply

I am truly thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared this fantastic article at at this place.

68. By what men secretly want free on Nov 23, 2013 | Reply

If some one wishes to be updated with latest technologies afterward
    he must be pay a visit this site and be up to date all the time.

69. By Pearly Penile Papules Removal free on Nov 28, 2013 | Reply

For those who think that laser scars look better than pearly papules, then this method may
    be considered. After talking with Jason for a few more minutes, the doctor finally examined
    him. I’ll leave it to your imagination, but it’s a bad thing.

70. By Leander martial arts on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

Үour ѕite appears to be having some compatibilty issues in my firefox brοwser.
    The cоntent appears to be running off the ρage pretty
    bad. Ӏf you would like уou can contact me at: tasha-down@hotmail.de and I’ll shοot уou over
    a screenshot of the problem.