Vikings Take DE D’Aundre Reed With 7th-Round Choice

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 30, 2011 – 3:42 pm

The Vikings continued to add defensive players to their roster on Day 3 of the 2011 NFL Draft, using their first of two 7th-round choices on DE D’Aundre Reed.

Reed is 6-4, 261 pounds and was projected to be a DE in a 4-3 scheme or an outside LB in a 3-4 scheme. The Vikings, of course, run a 4-3 scheme so Reed will join the DE rotation in Minnesota, a stable that is growing and will be one of the most competitive spots on the roster leading up to the regular season.

As is typically the case with picks at this point in the draft, Reed will also be a contributor on special teams for the Vikings.

Here is the NFL.com scouting report on Reed: “Reed brings a lot of versatility to the table but lacks the athleticism to become a starter.. Could turn into a back up run-stopping defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker for a team that stresses gap-integrity. Does a good job against the run, coming off the ball, keeping blockers off his body, and maintaining outside contain but struggles against bigger tackles, with misdirection, and won’t make a ton of plays from the backside or in space. Currently does not offer much as a pass rusher but could develop into an adequate power rusher with some more moves and technical refinement. Reed’s a late-round prospect.”

Tags: ,

53 Responses to “Vikings Take DE D’Aundre Reed With 7th-Round Choice”

1. By Ronzie on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

vikes picked him pretty quick so they they must of seen something in him

2. By skolpurpleangold on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

not understanding this pick, should have went for a safty in this spot instead

3. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

joseph lefeged(S) and mark herzlich(OLB) still atop best players for the spot . not sure why teams passed on them. Plenty of kickers left, and yea a big need is the punt returner/kickoff pos

4. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

still an 0L and DB rated over 6.0 still on the board. possibilities.

5. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

these are depth picks below 4 and these are all good picks no worries here

6. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

the randy moss trade killed us! STILL sitting here in need of wr and none picked whole draft

7. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

there a couple of work in progress WRs out there with deep ball ability but do you draft them or bring them in and try them out.

8. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

good point. We will half to hope for Rice and/or find a receiver free agency

9. By mn soldier on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

not a bad but still work to do with the drafting over the next few years. I am wondering why they went for ponder in the first when there were plenty of them out there, I would have traded the 1st this year for a teams second round this year and their first next year. we could have taken ponder in the second round and still got what we needed.

10. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s a wait and see on Ponder . Thanks for your service MN soldier

11. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Glad we got a corner, they are still going and will be none left to invite in camp

12. By Skyking on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Good to see a Wildcat on the team. U of A played a tough schedule last year he played well against a lot of top tier talent. He is a high motor guy. He has a real good shot of making the team.

13. By mn soldier on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Why are the vikings chasing after Mcnugget, he is old and used up, they should go for hasselback, or bulger. McNabb will make it all about him and just be yet another negative influence in the locker room.

14. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Beal (DE) Ziemba(OT) big names still left.

15. By VikesFan4ever on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Vikes need to get Ricardo Lockette from Ft. Valley State! PLEASE GET HIM VIKES!

16. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I am not understand the Mc Nabb thing I thought we we were done with QBs at the end of their career. If we are looking for Mc Nabb for a year or two. I say go down to Hattiesburg and see if Farve wants another year. I don’t understand the McNabb rumours.

17. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

We got money to burn! most draft picks are over 100+ # of the pics

18. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Lockette is one of those work in progress WR we will see

19. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Ok Spiel went with height at S and WR, we shall see if these two guys make the team!

20. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

a shorter developmental WR is he pick

21. By Jer on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

should have taken the kid out of pitt, injury concern but a lot of ability, take a chance

22. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

We waited until the 5th round to pick up a DB, and the 6th round to get an OL.

Hopefully we can do something with those two areas in free agency.

On the positive side we may have helped ourselves at QB and DT.

23. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Fred coaches didn’t see the need at OL as many of you all did. I didn’t see it either. I was spot on with the DT and QB and off at TE but rest were also good depth picks. Not a bad draft overall.

24. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I think alot of us were surprised how the draft went.

Hopefully the Vikings evaluated the college talent well, and will be able to utilize what we’ve obtained in the draft.

With the current group of O Linemen, Adrian Peterson will struggle to get 1000 yards. Maybe Joe Webb, and C. Ponder can get lots of yards rushing? Because at this point, I don’t know how anyone will have time to chuck it!

We might have a good defensive front 7, but no one who can cover my 4 year old nephew.

25. By CanadianViking on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I don’t see a need at WR either. We did pick up a good receiver from the CFL. Emmanual Arceneaux. He will be better then Berrian thats for sure.

26. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

If they offered me the job to coach the offensive line, I would say FORGET IT!!!

We have no talent in the offensive line. NONE!!!

27. By Ricefield on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Still preachin’ the O-line needs I see, Fred. I imagine if you had your way, we would have picked O-line with every pick (just kidding lol). Anyway, I’m pretty pleased with the draft.

Oh, and it’s good to be back.

28. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

McKinnie is still young at his position and had some issues last year. He knew that and said he’s going to remotivate. Hutch had an injury last year should be good this year. Sullivan had injuries last year and is just coming into his Third Year. Loadholt did very well coming out of his rookie year and this year will even be better. RG is only position I can see a true complaint about . I see a rainbow were you all see clouds come on lets get behind this group.

29. By Dave the vikefan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Overall, I’m pleases with the draft.. Addressed alot of needs.. The more I read into it, the more I understand the reach for c ponder.. Over all A- or B … not bad for first year HC Frazier :0)

Skol Vikes :0)

30. By Parody on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Fred that our OLine is still a big concern. Everyone underperformed last year. I;ve heard about the potential that Chris DeGeare brings to the line, but who else is there to make up for the deficiencies? Pat Brown is the only backup OT from last year, and I’m not too optomistic about the potential of either rookie to take over at tackle. So that leaves me to wonder if McKinnie and Loadholt are going to get back into form. Sullivan hasn’t been all too promising either, but he is still young.

The most promising addition we got to the OLine was the 2nd round TE, but how soon will he be ready? Will he be able to handle the DLines of the NFC North? All of our opponents appear to have some powerful men up front on the defense now, so we’ll need the best blockers we can find.

31. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.,

The Vikings were 26th in passing yards, and 30th in quarterback rating.

Adrian Peterson had his worst year as a pro.

Apparently we did nothing to help ourselves in our weakest area.

32. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

year before that with a right side by filled in by who was the healtiest we were in the NFC championship Game. Come on Fred only difference was Loadholt was not there.

33. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

if I remember right AP was still in the probowl so must not have been a terrible year for him.

34. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.,

…meanwhile the Colts and Patriots took 1st Round Offensive Linemen…

The game is played in the trenches.

35. By Woodboat on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Mike B… the reason we were in the Championship game was that Favre is a tough old dude. How many times did he get the ball off just before getting smashed? It went something like this “Green, 32…. Green, 32… hut, HUT… (receive ball from center, take 5 step drop)… Oh, $h!+!!!… (scramble left)… YIKES…. (scramble right)… HEY, SUH, Your shoes untied!….(duck under outstretched DL meathook)… Hey, is that a glimpse of purple? (chuck it downfield before eating turf).” He got HAMMERED all year long, and it bled into last year (literally). Peterson consistantly got stuck at the line trying to find a hole, heck, even a slight dent, that he could run between the tackles. Our O-Line is junk.

36. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

The colts and Patriots were still on the outside looking in last year. Our OL is not as bad as you think or the coaches would address it I think you all have given up on them from last years performance. I think last year is a combinatin of some poor play and a very tough schedule.

37. By Woodboat on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike B
    The Probowl is a popularity contest. Peterson is one of the best, if not THE best RB in the game. Was he in the top 5 in yardage last year?

McKinney is not young at the position, I can’t believe you even presented that.
    Hutch is getting old, but he is still servicable, though he won’t be pulling in the run game any time in the future. Sullivan…. who knows, he may be ok, if he can stay on the field. Loadholt is way too slow to play tackle. You can teach him technique, but you can’t teach “fast”. Whatever they slotted inot RG couldn’t open run lanes or pass block. This stuff should be evident to anybody that cares to watch the game.

38. By Jkalz on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B, I think you mean Herrera because besides Hutch, Herrera was the only other O-Line man out. @Fred Yes we need O-Line men but not as bad as we need a QB. AP’s yards were down because he also had only 283 Carries. He missed 1 game. The only other time he had less was his rookie season (238) in which he missed 2 games AND split a decent amount of time with Chester Taylor (157 Carries).

39. By Jim on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Our o-line is bad in pass protection not against run blocking ap still had a little over a 1000 yard mark, I don’t get what people are saying ap couldn’t run last year he still averages his regular yearly numbers.

40. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat,

I sincerely hope Mike B. is right, and I’m wrong.

Hopefully Dr. Love is alot better than advertised.

Right now, it doesn’t seem as though we are pushing anybody to stay in shape ! McKinnie, who will be 32 in September, needs to lose about 50 pounds to be the player he was in 2009.

41. By Jim on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Yes our oline is bad against pass protection, from my point of view our o-line is way too tall and qb’s have time scanning the field being in the pocket with tall huge lineman is going to affect your timing and your vision. The vikings need some shorter lineman so the qb’s can atleast see whats in front of them.

42. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B,

The Colts and Patriots are in the playoffs every year. AND they were among the top 5 teams in least sacks allowed in 2010.

BUT, the Vikings are no longer a passing team. Mike B. you have convinced me that OUR LINE can block FOR THE RUN.

When HEALTHY. By the way, I believe all of our starting O Linemen missed some time last year because of injuries.

43. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Maybe IF we can RUN the ball we will be okay.

Dr. Love and his friend may be able to provide the necessary depth to keep the line healthy.

Just don’t cry to me about the quarterback.

44. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I have watched every game and was in the stands for the Arizona game. The comeback in that game was amazing. I will take back about McKinnie being young but OL last longer than other positions. It was Hutch he had a nagging injury all last year. He played with it most of the season. Rice waiting so long to have his injury taken care of hurt us. Farve was rusty at start of the season. We faced the toughest teams in the League. Lots of reasons for last year . OL isn’t the major reason.

45. By Mike B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Fred not sure why I am sparing with you we are both fans, but seems like you have been on the outside of what’s going on with the Vikings. I had known for a long time that TJack was going to be gone. I knew that Joe Webb wasn’t the guy. I knew that a QB was going to be in the first round. But hey maybe I don’t know jack. Have fun

46. By DrDivot on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Of course you need a good OL to win, but in the NFL you are only as good as your QB. We don’t have one. Joe Webb is a great athelete, but are you ready to pin our future on a guy that green? The Vikes made the guttsiest move in the draft by getting Ponder. It’s not just a question who, but when. If by chance we get a QB in free angency, are they going to be the future? We aren’t going to the SB this year. This is the foundation of a rebuild hopefully keeping us from dropping to the bottom of the league. I give us a B+ to A-

47. By WIPurplePride on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I thought Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt had the higher ceiling and more upside but his injuries must have scared the Vikings away. Still in round 7 injuries and stuff like that are not suppose to be an issue. Romeus could have been a starter down the road if he is able to stay healthy and return to his old form. Reed should bring some solid depth and could play certain downs as a run defender but I still think Romeus would’ve been the better pick.

Happy with the draft overall though. SKOL!

48. By Gubber on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Hard for me to fathom the idea that seemingly nobody selected Deunta Williams of UNC or DeAndre McDaniel of Clemson. Both could be huge upgrades to our safety positions !!!

49. By sandiamond on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Gubber both the S and WR pick was just a pickle out of a barrell pick.

Other teams might would have selected D. Mcdaniel or D. Williams for S instead of Raymond

Other teams might would have selected T.Toliver D. Adams (sec receivers) for WR instead of Burton

I say sign none late rounders and invite all these guys in camp somehow

50. By David on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Come on Vikes look at Dane Sazenbacher of Ohio State. Undersized but decent speed, great burst, and unbelievable hands cant believe he didn’t get taken in the sixth or seventh round. Would be awesome to see them bring him in as an undrafted free agent

51. By Rusch on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I am sorry but i like this pick. In my opinion Arizona Wildcats had one of the top 5 defensive lines in all of Ncaa. Both of their defense of ends where drafted but this kid was such a hard worker stoops had to create ways to get him on the football field. Thats really what u want on your defensive line. Some one who is willing to give u every thing u got. Reed is strong for his size and very good verse the run. I could see him helping out on 1st and 2 nd down. Dunbar will get him up to speed and i bet he makes the squad after preseason

52. By Gubber on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Sandiamond,

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but both of these individuals were slotted to go anywhere from second to fourth round. Watched both on YouTube to get an idea of theis abilties and was very impressed. Be your own judge and have a look.

Gubber

53. By echo on May 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for your post, I agree with you.