DBs Coach Joe Woods Talks About CB Brandon Burton

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 30, 2011 – 1:16 pm

The Vikings addressed the front of their defense in the 4th round by selecting DL Christian Ballard, surely putting extra pep in the step of DL coach Karl Dunbar. In the 5th round, Vikings DBs coach Joe Woods found the same extra pep in his step because the Vikings decided to select CB Brandon Burton in the 5th round (#139 overall).

Burton stands at 6-0, 190 pounds and is described as a good fit in the Vikings Cover 2 scheme because of his ability to re-route WRs at the line of scrimmage. But in speaking with Woods this afternoon, the Vikings decision to select Burton was more about him just being an overall good football player as opposed to being a great fit in the defensive scheme.

“It’s not really about scheme when you’re looking at players right now,” Woods explained from his perspective. “He’s just a good overall player. Solid in coverage, willing in run support, and he really just understands what he’s doing on the field. That’s really what stands out the most.”

It was actually refreshing to hear Woods explain that a player the team selected wasn’t necessarily chosen because he’s a great fit for the scheme or because of some other rubber-stamped, generic reason that no one can refute. Woods put is simply, saying Burton was just a flat-out good athlete who loves football, will be a smart player and understands how to play defense.

“He’s a big corner, a good athlete and smart,” Woods said. “He’s going to be a student of the game.”

Tags: , ,
Posted in All | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “DBs Coach Joe Woods Talks About CB Brandon Burton”

1. By Frederick Jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

QB, TE, DT, DB.

We may have solved some of our problems. I am extremely disappointed (BUT NOT SURPRISED) that we didn’t select an Offensive Lineman in the first two rounds.

I guess anybody can play offensive line.

Too many people think this way, the ones that don’t, WIN CHAMPIONSHIPs ! ! !

2. By John on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

In case you guys are wondering, this is the best highlight video I could get of Mistral Raymond, the Safety we drafted in the sixth round.

3. By purpawolf on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

they got a center bro….im alright with the pick the vikes made, at first i was upset with the ponder pick, but i think he has potential to be a great conventional style quarterback…WINNING, DUH!!

4. By Vikingsfan78 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Mistral Raymond is a nice pick, he reminds of Cory Fuller with his big hits and play style.

5. By Blarson on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I like the video John. He looks physical and plays with attitude. Maybe williams will be gone this year.

6. By Nicholas on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Brandon Fusco seems like a great pick in the 6th round for the Vikings. According to coaches and team-mates, he has great work-ethic and is a definite leader.

The downside is that he came from a DII school, so who knows how he will do against pros.

I think he could develop into something solid.

Demarcus Love seems like a pretty solid prospect too….

7. By sandiamond on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Raymond this kid looks superzzzzzzzzzz!

8. By Pondering on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Fusco is undersized but athletic… Convert to blocking TE?

Ballard and Burton were excellent high-value picks.

9. By luke on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I believe that minnesota is having an excellent draft and the more i read about Ponder the more i like him.

10. By Rudso on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the video John, I really like his style of play, very physical and doesn’t look to be afraid of taking a chance and making a play for the ball. I like that. Considering the rounds we picked our CB and our Safety, I really like our picks. Frazier was a DB, maybe he can teach them something.

11. By Habib on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Raymond does look solid, Burton….. ehh. I heard he was suppose to be projected in 2-3 rd.

12. By Jannie Margolin on Jun 18, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before