Spielman Confident In Team’s Evaluation Of QB Class

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 27, 2011 – 8:03 am

We’ve talked about a lot of different QBs here on vikings.com over the past few months, from top prospects such as Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Cam Newton to the “next tier” of passers such as Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Mallett. Through it all, consensus has been absent and opinion has been rampant.

That’s the beauty of the NFL draft for NFL fans. Everyone has their opinions and there are so many players and so many scenarios that there’s a seemingly endless amount of topics to discuss and debate. When you add in mock drafts and talking heads on ESPN and NFL Network trying to guess how teams are going to operate on draft day, there is so much information and opinion that it can be confusing.

But Vikings fans can take solace in knowing that their teams draft room won’t be spinning when the 2011 NFL Draft begins on Thursday evening. The Vikings, under the guidance of VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman and his staff, along with the coaching staff, have evaluated this year’s class of QBs and it sounds like a plan is in place.

“We’ve done an extensive study, and every one of these guys has a strength and a weakness,” Spielman said. “We are identifying what those strengths are and what those weaknesses are. Specifically, if any of these guys’ weakness can be corrected, or is it an off-the-field weakness, or a leadership weakness, or an on-the-field issue. Everyone has different issues, we’ve been through that and what we feel comfortable with.

“We analyzed all this and went through every guy’s strength and weakness, and everyone got an opportunity to speak their mind.  We feel very confident with where we have these quarterbacks stacked.”

It’s good the Vikings feel confident in their evaluation of this year’s QB class because there’s a good chance one of those prospects will be on the roster later this summer competing with Joe Webb. And that leads us to another element of this year’s draft and entire offseason that Spielman brought up and indicated the team was prepared to handle: how the work stoppage impacts the Vikings going forward.

Specifically, the Vikings of course have a new head coach in Leslie Frazier and that means a partially new coaching staff. What also typically comes with a new head coach and coaching staff is more roster turnover than usual. This will inevitably breathe new life into the Vikings roster, but it also adds some complexity because it’s not certain when these new players – both QBs and players at other positions – will be able to begin practicing and acclimating themselves to the team with the work stoppage. This will all need to be factored in by Spielman and Co. during the draft.

“The other thing you have to look at in this draft, that is so much different than the drafts in the past, is that the rookies you bring in, if they’re not here, and they’re not here until August, they have missed all that time with the coaches, all of the OTAs and mini-camps,” Spielman explained. “I believe that they will be significantly further behind than a normal rookie class would be because of the lack of working with our coaches, lack of knowledge of the system, and getting acclimated to our game. We will have to be more patient with our rookie class; if the scenario comes up that these guys don’t show up until sometime in August.”

Tags: , ,

86 Responses to “Spielman Confident In Team’s Evaluation Of QB Class”

1. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

It’s not about the Quarterback. It’s about TEAM.

2. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

YOU are missing defensive backs, offensive linemen, and defensive linemen. There’s no time to discuss anything else.

3. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Select your Malllet. He’ll throw 21 td pa a s s ses fo’ ya!

Unfortunately the defensive backs will give up 25, and YOU’LL still lose.

4. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

DON’T PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE!!!

FIRST YOU MUST FIND THE HORSES (mainly linemen).

5. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred – And here I was figuring that you were going to follow your “21 td pass” statement with “and 12 of them will be to a player wearing ajersey of a different color!”

6. By Jason B on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Trade Back get some value back for the third round

7. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

AP is our horse! The linemen are just the buldozers that help to create a bit more level road for him to pull the team along.

8. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

*BULLdozers

9. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Here’s my list of selections to consider for #12 if they’re available, in order of preference. If none are available, (and for the final two I’m a little questionable) then trade back.

DT. Dareus
    CB. Peterson
    OLB Miller
    DT. Fairley
    QB. Gabbert
    WR. Green
    DE. Quinn
    CB. Amukamara
    WR. Jones
    QB. Newton
    DE. Bowers

10. By Bauln on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

FJ You sound like an idiot. We’ll see your words next week.

11. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

It’s funny how people think the qb position is not important and not a need for this team, I guess you want to see rodgers, and cutlers shine while we don’t have a qb of our own good competitive thinking.

12. By Ootsa Jimmy on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Right on the money Jim!

13. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Our team will continue to get kicked in the teeth with no qb, ask the saints if they can win a superbowl without brees or ask packers fans if they can win one without rodgers.

14. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Or ask the Bears if they can even make it to the Super Bowl without Rex Grossman…but, ummm…

Okay, maybe it’s not all the QB…

15. By Ootsa Jimmy on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Oh Parody, your so smart.

16. By Daniel on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

The only thing that would really get under my skin about selecting a QB, would be IF we get one at 12. That would just be such a waste. If we trade down to say the Rams spot and pick up some great extra picks, then pick up Mallett, I would be fine with that. I like Mallett, I think he is more accurate than Flacco and has just as good an arm, and the extra pick would be much more needed than say a Fairley, or Quinn, or others.
    But Julio Jones would be nice, A new Killer CB would be nice, That is a tough one, but the way Fraiser talks, They have thier guy locked in. Sounds like Mallett, but I just hope they deal the 12 or that will be a waste. I also think Brooks reed is coming too. Look at the guys tape. Man that dude is Jared Allen a few years ago. I hope they pick up AAron williams too (cb/s out of Texas)

17. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I’d say qb first round the rest o line defensive end and safety.

18. By Tim W. on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Daniel is probably the closest. Only 2 viable QB’s that can step in this year and “possibly” do better than Webb are Locker or Mallet. Locker is another Favre/Rodgers. Gruden warned him of the P. Hillis running style which even he believes contributed to the innacuracy ?’s. Mallet has the size, arm and smarts being a coaches son to make a very good QB early. They both have love for the game, Mallet maybe a little more immature(no offense but I was the same). Should they be taken at 12??? Might have too. Best bet is still to move back, say NE at #17, get our 3rd back from them and then get one. Could Mallet be gone to Mia.? possibly. Could both be taken by Tenn/Wash before 12, maybe that too. I’ve pushed OT/DT from day 1. Quality is far better than the QB’s(maybe Locker/Mallet). Those are the most need in the next 2yrs. We’re going to use AP more and Webb showed he can handle it. Lines need to be rebuilt.

19. By Daniel on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Locker…..?…… there is just something about him I really don’t like.
    I mean I felt the same way about Brady Quinn too. He might be able to run like tebo or Hilis, but man! that guy is just not accurate and throws the ball like a duck. We already have that running game, and Webb is there for a wildcat/deep/playaction. Webb is going to be an awsome weapon, and I bet Musgrave will have some great plays for him.
    Steve young ran a little like Locker, but could throw the ball with perfection.
    Locker looks just bad. You can see it almost looks like a knuckle ball with a ton of wabble in it. Some QBs have that zing and spin to it, and Mallett does have that. If we do go the Mallett route, I hope we get some deep burners. Bringing Moss back and signing a guy like Braylon Edwards would be smart. or James Jones? We still need line correction though. for sure RG.

Free agent Harvey Dahl out of Atl, would be the absolute best free agent pickup since Hutch. I think he is ranked as the 3rd gest Guard in football and only has 5 years experiance.

20. By viking joe on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

NOOOO to CAM NEWTON!!

21. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I was surprised today when looking at the latest mock drafts. It seems like the tides have turned a bit as a majority of the mocks are pointing at the Skins taking Locker at #10. That would make it a bigger gamble to trade back and hope that a Mallett is still available, but his drinking escapade made a lot of the experts remove him from their first round projections all together.

Nevertheless, it makes it much more likely that Amukamara, Jones, or even Fairley will drop to us at #12, in which case I say pull the trigger. Any one of those three would be too valuable an addition to miss out on at our position.

22. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Don’t worry Viking joe. 95% of all the mock drafts I’ve looked at in the past 3-weeks have Newton going first overall. I’ve viewed at least a dozen drafts that were just created today, and every single one of them has Newton going to the Panthers.

23. By stew on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Everybody keeps saying trade back look at how our draft turned out last year. I say roll the dice and get a QB if we wait until the second the top 5 QB’s will all be gone. If we don’t go QB get prince he can start right away. We got burned so many times on 3rd and long last year, this can solve our DB problem. Drop Winfield to S or let him roam free in the nickel.

24. By Rick on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I would love to see the Vikings trade back a couple spots (to get a 3rd rounder) and take Pouncey. Then in the 2nd get Aaron Williams to play CB and possibly safety (which some scouts are saying he has the size to do in the NFL) and in the 3rd round getting Stanzi.

I won’t be too upset if we get Locker although. I don’t think we’re targeting Mallet right now. Spielman specifically mentioned looking for QB’s who lack off the field discipline, which is exactly Mallet’s biggest weak point.

25. By Brandon Manumaleuna on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I think the vikes have their eyes set on a particular player already. If he isn’t there at 12, then they are trading down. If a player drops, like jones, or amukamara, i think the vikings will have to take them. So much excitement, i cant wait for the draft to get started.

26. By Travis on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t Coach Frazier say last year that we were going to be a run first offense lets not worry about some flashy colege QB and fill some other needs. As far as our QB needs we just need some one with a strong arm and quick decision making to hit Harvin and Schianco on short routes and only occasionaly go down the field accuracy isnt all that important Sidney can go get it

27. By OLD SCHOOL on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

AND FOR THE 12TH PICK IN THE 2011 NFL DRAFT….THE VIKINGS SELECT…..

JAKE LOCKER!

BANK ON THAT !

IF HE IS STILL THERE….(REDSKINS?)

28. By stew on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I think if we dont get a QB in this draft and webb can’t prove to be a starter we’re doomed.

29. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m going with the analyst on this one the vikings will trade down probably 18 or so and still get one of the qb’s, second round they will all be gone. I have a feeling the first round is a qb the coaching staff is tired of the stop gap qb’s. They will ride or die with the qb and take a chance. They should retain there 3rd round pick if they trade down. The rest of the picks o-line, defensive end, safety. I am however not sold on locker, I would pass up on locker and take mallett any given second. I believe character can be fixed but talent, and accuracy can’t be taught.

30. By stew on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I love the fact that A.P is so dominant in the run game but i still feel that we need a QB that can take the defense by surprise when we decide to throw not just a conservative they wont let him throw QB. It was nice to be able to burn defenses through the air and ground in 09.

31. By Nick on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

For goodness sakes guys, various mocks have Dalton going to the the Titans at no. 8!!! Mallett a reach at no. 12, NO WAY. The word is that Mallett wants to play in the Dome as well.

32. By OLD SCHOOL on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Has anyone ever heard an interview with Mallett…………..

GO FIND ONE………………AND THEN YOU WILL KNOW WHY HE MAY HAVE SOME “OFF THE FIELD PROBLEMS” !!!!!!

GO FIND ONE!

WE DON’T NEED TO DRAFT THAT GUY!

LOCKER OR GO AFTER A J. JONES AT WIDE-OUT…BECAUSE SINDNEY ISN’T STAYING…ANOTHER GREAT JOB IN THE HANDLING OF SIDNEY IN LAST YEARS OFF SEASON BY THIS TEAMS ADMIN. !

33. By stew on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I think if they take locker it would mainly be because of his speed and play action ability. That could be a serious weapon if we could get Locker to a level at which he could burn you through the air or on the ground. Teams start focusing on his run ability

34. By stew on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I think jones most definitely won’t fall to us even prince is a reach. All these spectators are saying that these QB’s shouldn’t go that high but watch and see how fast they are gone.

35. By Canadian Vikes fan on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings better take a QB in the first round. If they trade down, they BETTER still take a QB. I love reading the mocks when for the Vikings they put “while there are bigger and more important needs, they should take the DE”…because that makes sense… Regardless, at the end of tomorrow, if the Vikings are in possession of either Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett i will be ecstatic

36. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@Old School,

You hit on an important point, the administration has to do their job signing important players.

37. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@Bauln,

It would be EASY to call anyone an IDIOT on this blog.

We can look at what somebody wrote, disagree with it, and immediately think they are idiots.

When I first started writing on this blog, that is exactly how I reacted to people.
    NOW I know better than to fly off on every point that does not agree with my philosophy.

38. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I’ve said many times that I would like the Vikings to get another quarterback, even draft one.

Bauln, I don’t blame you if you missed that.

39. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I get bored with the constant talk about quarterbacks, like it’s the only position on a football team. The media feeds that frenzy, constantly.

I just don’t believe that will solve ALL of the Vikings problems.

40. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

When was the last time you saw a heavy debate about offensive linemen? Okay, when was the last time you saw two straight debates about offensive linemen?

Exactly, NEVER ! ! !

41. By vikings4life on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Please Do not take locker at twelve trade down to get the third rounder back but if we stay at twelve and take Jake Locker it would be horrible we need the PRINCE Amukamara if we dont take him the lions will there is NO doubt in that and we will have to live with that for 10 years or it could easily be the other way around the lions arent going to take JAke locker, neither are the bears or packers so it wouldnt harm us as much as passing on an impact player.

42. By Mike on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gabbert is still available by the 12th pick. A lot of talk like last year and most QB’s were passed by when draft day came in the 1st round.

43. By Purple pride man on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

RYAN MALLETT! Come on Vikings. Top 5 talent!!! The rumors are all mirrors. With these veterans and great calm coach in Frazier, Mallett would be AMAZING QB for the vikings! Paired with Percy, Shanq and AP would be awesome. Pinpoint accuracy and great touch on his long ball. the vikings offense would be able to score from ANYWHERE, on ground or through the air. His slow 40 doesn’t mean a thing. if you watch his game footage , he moves around great in the pocket. Almost 6th sense, Brady/Manning esk. Defensive lineman are faster then Brady/Manning/Big Benn but they seem to be able to make plays. DON”T LET HIM GET AWAY VIKINGS! up down where ever. There is a rookie payscale this year. He has too much upside!! Don’t overspend on the third teir QB’s

44. By paul on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

You could draft a Q.B. with the 12th.pick and have him sit for 2-3 years and learn his position but who’s going to mentor him, Joe Webb?

45. By QB FEVER on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@Purple i agree, I like Mallett most. I think locker is ok, but very worried about his accuracy and willingness to take shots. Frankly i see a bunch of smoke being blown around about Mallett and ESPN/NFL network are gobbling it up. Only thing bad on his record is public intox which i get every weekend lol. He has never failed anything, everything else is hearsay. He is a leader was co-captain at Ark.(contrary to what the media likes to report) @OLD SCHOOL yes seen many interviews. the looks like a good guy “OH NO HE HAS A SOUTHERN ACCENT!!! HE MUST BE GANGSTER!” He is a country boy, coaches son and is extremely confident. I think his Confidence is sometime taken as Arrogance. I don’t want a pushover passive QB. I want one who knows what he can do and take shots when he needs to. He has a crazy football I.Q. Just watch his white board with Gruden. Blew all the other QB’s away.

46. By Nicholas on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I am confident in our coaching staff that we have now. WIth that being said…whichever QB we draft (if we do), I feel confident that they will be groomed quite well.

I think that fortifying our O-Line, D-Line, and secondary via the draft this season will be enough to get us to about a .500 record or more.

Joe Webb would be a good enough QB to fill in for this year IMO. Perhaps with the coaching that he’d recieve and the experience that he’d get, he might develop into an even better prospect. Who knows? The possibilities are endless.

47. By QB FEVER on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Personally (just speaking of facts not rumors) I think the QB teirs goes Top Teir- Mallett, Gabbert. Teir 2- Newton, Locker, Teir 3 Dalton ponder Stanzi Kip. PLEASE DON’T TAKE NEWTON IF HE FALLS TO US!! Seeing him with Gruden make me think he is years and years away from being a good QB. We already have one of him named Webb. Reason I put Mallett above Gabbert is Mallet has better accuracy, More passing yards. ryan has 9.41 YPA vs Gabbert 6.71. Mallett has 32 TDs vs Gabb’s 16 tds. twice as many in less attempts. Gabbert can run faster but Mallett only got sacked 2 more times then Gabbert did. Mallett did all this in a pro style offense with Fairley and Dareus in his face. Frankly can’t believe the re ta rd s at espn think he will go so low. HE WOULD BE A STEAL AT 12!!

48. By Daniel on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

When Rick the wizzard and staff moved down and picked cook, I knew it was a Fraiser vote. His pick was cook.there were alot of other players rated higher, but when cook did begin in preseason, you could tell he was going to be good. he will get there. And Gerhart! could not have got a better AP backup. Like drafting mike Turner. So what they did there was for need, and even picking up Griffen was a steal. Where I guess I am going here is, I liked thier plan. I only hope they have that same kind of plan too. The only bad thing was the two we lost. Every pick needs to be a place that fills a void, and has to be picked as someone who can beat out the guy in front of them.

49. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I hope they do draft mallett, have a feeling if locker is there they will grab him instead of mallett which I am not sold on locker he is another version of brad johnson no arm strength and no accuracy. Mallett or ponder would be good for me.

50. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m hoping washington takes locker, I’m going to say who ever is going to pass up on mallett is going to make a mistake the kid may have some immaturity issues, but if they straighten him up he is a steal and will be a phillip rivers type of qb.

51. By PurpleNation on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

~BREAK NEWS ALERT~

Breaking News
    Judge denies NFL’s motion for stay

The federal judge who lifted the NFL lockout has denied the league’s request to put her ruling on hold. More …

Source: nfl network/nfl.com

~BREAKING NEWS ALERT~

52. By Shawn on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

OK iI am starting to hear talk about THE PLAYERS demanding the league to change …. as in no salary cap, no draft, and just a complete free market

THATS WHAT BASEBALL DOES … AND BASEBALL SUCKS

PITTSBURGH PIRATES WILL NEVER WIN A WORLD SERIES

I WILL NEVER WATCH FOOTBALL AGAIN IF THE PLAYERS MAKE THIS HAPPEN

53. By Juan on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

i believe mallett should be our 1st round pick. that guys got a cannon for an arm and has accuracy. i understand that we need to strengthen our o line and d line, but that can come. we can also aquire a solid secondary in the later rounds.

54. By Vikings FAN 15 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Ya, Draft Mallett 12. Don’t think we should trade and risk losing a franchise qb. Then fill our needs through rest of draft and free agency. Man, What would it be like to have an elite franchise qb. Hope rick and frazier pull the trigger on him. I think we can still gain picks by trading down in the second to maybe pick up a third rounder.

55. By Lockerisabust on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Locker is a bust he’s only good for scrambling the last thing we need is another version of joe webb.

56. By purplefanwy on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

If Mallett is the choice-I think the Vikings made a good choice. I agree with the other poster, who stated “character/immaturity can be corrected, but innacuract cannot.” With that said, I hope we don’t take Locker. Mallett is pro-ready. He has a great arm, and he’s a coach’s son. He has good instincts and he’s said to really care about the game of football, and strives to get better. I also like Mallett’s heigth. Ay almost 6’7″, Mallett can still scan the field over our big O-Linemen and deliver an accurate pass. I think Ryan Mallett would be an excellent choice.

57. By Lito on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

If not Gabbert, then Mallett it is.

58. By PAUL M. on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Hey Shawn, you make a good point. The NFL’s owners will end up giving the players more $$$ so they won’t have to concede on other issues.

Also, this whole Draft is a farce! Just look at the NFL’s team blogs — they’ve got everyone in a frenzy over their team’s draft picks. In the meanwhile, because of this exhilarating anesthetic, the people aren’t feeling how they’re slowly but surely getting the ROYAL SHAFT !

Why do you think that the NFL both wants a lock-out with none of the teams allowed to do business, and yet WANTS to be open for business during the Draft? This was recently discussed here in the NYC area’s sports media.

Also, why do you think that the Players’ Association hasn’t filed a motion to block the NFL from making an exception & in effect violating their own mandate by being open for business for the draft?

It’s simply because there are 3 parties in this multi-billion dollar “menage-a-trois”. The owners — the players — and, yes — the fans – WE THE PEOPLE. BUT DO WE HAVE A SEAT AT THE TABLE? NO WAY!

What’s happening right now is that 2 of the parties are looking to squeeze the 3rd by arranging with each other the best method of maximizing the owners’ & the players’ incomes at, ultimately, THE FANS’ EXPENSE.

If you have any doubts about this, many of the dynamics in place are identical to the NBA’s ’98-’99 season, when the players went on strike. The League & the players were at each other’s throats! In the end it was the fans who paid dearly !

59. By PAUL M. on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Additionally, it would be very sad for the sport of football if any of the season’s games are lost.

Just go back & read the fans’ reactions during some of the team’s first games back after the MLB ’94-’95 strike. They actually stopped the Pirates game. Even the great Yankees got hit hard by their fans.

Just go to

and then scroll down to “Post Strike” to read fans’ reactions.

By the way, did the NHL ever recover from their strike?

60. By no1vikingsfan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

It’s not that we don’t think the QB position is important, its very important, the most crucial position on the field, but my opinion is building the defense is a priority and a dire need, good defenses wins championships, at least that’s what I always hear.

61. By DaNorseman on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I just have a gut feeling that it could end up being Mallett that gets drafted by the Vikings. Frazier has said it would be ideal for a Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco and neither of them are mobile QB’s like Newton or Locker. Besides that Musgrave was a QB coach for Ryan but also was for Matt Shaub who is not mobile. Even go back to Frazier during his days with the Colts with Peyton Manning, not mobile. If someone matches as a tall non-mobile pocket ppassser that understands x’s and o’s than Mallett is their guy. Character issues………. 95% of that stuff is horse hockey but even so with veteran players like AP, Jared Allen, Hutchinson, Williams, Greenway, Henderson, Winfield… not to mention… Coach Frazier and Singletary will keep this kid in line.

“With the 12th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft…… The Minnesota Vikings Select….. Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas”

62. By DRS on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Tell me what first year QB has ever won a championship? Only a veteran has the time and knowledge to see his way to the championship. You just need to pick the veteran with the talent and time left in his career to get the team to the SB, while teaching your rookie QB the ropes.

63. By Daniel on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

This is starting to get good. Who ever the Vikes go after, I believe is a Bill Musgrave guy. It might not be the guy we think fellas. I have seen alot of reports on the Kid from Idaho, and Stanzi. Just think how blown away we will be if that transpires. So prepare yourselves. Personaly, I trust Bill, that whoever it is will work. We are luck to have Bill. I see three players they will pick at 12. Prince,Castonzo,or Fairley. after that I think a trade down will be in place. What ever happens Guys, support give the staff the chance. Think on how the colts draft or the pats. I am sure their fans go “whaa?” But the thing is they always get it right, and I have that kind of a confidence in our staff.

64. By DaNorseman on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Totally agree Daniel! Where got a bunch of great staff in the Vikings organization.

Coaches: Frazier, Singletary, Musgrave, Dunbar, Johnson

Staff: Spielman, Studwell

I am fully confident that we will look back years from now at the 2011 NFL Draft as a great one. Can’t wait to see who will be inducted into the NORSEMAN FAMILY

65. By Z-MAN on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

what about ricky stanzi in the second? take o-line in first

66. By Dr.rum on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Vikings need to address the defense. The NFC north is getting to be very dangerous as far as explosive offenses. There is the DL from UNC that has character issues, perfect fit for MN. And also get one of these top DB, I mean we have tons of CB but we defiantly need a stud safety.

67. By TheVikingsareontheclock on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

If the Vikings don’t grab a qb in the first round, I’m probably going to smash the tv. Even a person with a bird brain will realize that, its not rocket science. We had a good defense for a couple of years we were number one in rushing defense couple years ago still no super bowl ring. We are missing a ring because we have no stability in the qb position its always a new washed up qb every year.Hoping they draft mallett, I don’t know what they see in locker lets not have another bad year at drafting a qb. For some reason the vikes like small school qb’s, they end up standing on the sidelines or out of a job I don’t get what’s the point in that. Late round small colleges are a bust don’t even think about it, a brady does not happen much.

68. By TheVikingsareontheclock on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

As you all know I’m going to get this off my chest once and for all they will grab a 3rd or 4th round division 2 black qb another tj prospect. Don’t get the logic behind how vikings keep drafting qb’s in the later rounds and all have been bust its no different than banging your head against the wall over and over.

69. By Parody on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

@TheVikingsareontheclock – Sometimes banging your head against the wall is very theraputic…it helps to clear out the memory of things that just don’t make sense and…umm….what was I saying now?

But are you really writing Webb off so early? Remember that Frazier said whoever the organization brings in for QBs will be competing with Joe for the starting position.

I’m not saying that Webb is the answer, but he still could be. I’ll support just about any choice that the coaches make in the draft. They appear to be a very smart group of men.

70. By TheVikingsareontheclock on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

They just are not smart in one category and that’s drafting qb’s, I’m hoping they will prove me wrong tonight if we draft mallet that would put a dagger through packer fans because we will be wrecking the nfc north.

71. By konyak on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Draft Ryan Mallett!!!!! He is a good QB with stong arms and good accuracy and he is a good leader. we can draft him at #12.

72. By DRS on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Once more what first year in the NFL QB has ever won a championship?

Have to go, God bless U-All.

73. By joshK on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

despite our terrible pass defense it ranked 10th last year? interesting. and our passing offense was 29th points put up 29th. i wouldnt be too suprised if we tried to fix that.

im dying to see who we pickup tonight. i want a saftey round 2. not sure about round 1. pouncey? trade back and get mallet? would we take Julio if hes there? guna be fun to watch. i think the addition of 1 solid OL would be a huge boost for the entire offense.

74. By Z-MAN on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

so no one likes stanzi watch his film he is very good

75. By LESLIE FRAZIER on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

WE WILL TRADE DOWN AND MAYBE GET ANOTHER SECOND ROUND OR THIRD ROUND PICK AND GET RYAN MALLET IN THE ROUND 1

76. By Parody on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Word is that Atlanta wants to trade the farm for Jones. Will anybody bite on that offer before the Vikings pick? Will he still be available by the time we pick? A lot of mocks that I’ve seen have either him or Amukamara there.

My vote is to take the Falcons’ offer, if it’s still possible by #12.

77. By Digger on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I have already said before, that it sucks, cuase yes the viks need help basically everywhere. I say take the best guy available at 12, if he is 1 of their top 5, if not, trade the pick to get more picks, get a QB in round 2 maybe, but Webb is not the future. Sorry to those of you who like him. I like him as well, but he is not a francise QB. Great talent, can be used in other places. I am tired of old, has been, re tread bandaid QBs which seem to be all we have had for the most part for about 2 decades now. I have said before, I wanted Luck, but he stayed in school. Mallett is the best skill set of the big 5 QBs in the draft. And if I see or hear the name STANZI again, I will puke. I am from Iowa, but not an Iowa fan. He SUCKS! always has and always will.

78. By Parody on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Well then Digger, just to help you clean out your system:

~!~. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . STANZI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .~!~

79. By Dubsac on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Pocket Passers = Superbowls. Great D = Superbowls. Joe Webb is none of the above. We need to draft Prince if he falls, otherwise either OL or DL. With defensive minded Lez I bet we go defense picks 1 and 2 and test free agency for starting QB. Then look in 3,4,5 (trading for a 3rd) for a QB we can groom. Would be shocked to see any other QB drafted, besides Cam the Scam and Gabbert, before pick 20.

80. By Z-MAN on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

about stanzi digger the numbers dont lie look and keep your mouth shut

81. By Digger on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I would rather have the back up QB on our middle school team before I would want Ricky Sucks Stanzi. He can’t read a defense and he would be even worse in the pros. He couldn’t even play arena football.

82. By Z-MAN on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

25touchdowns vs 6 int not to bad in my book with 3000 yards not bad put him behind a vet and he will be a great nfl QB

83. By DRAFTMALLETT on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I would rather start paul reubens under center before I consider stanzi.

84. By Z-MAN on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

wow when he ends up being great u will have nothing else to say but that i was wrong what were we thigking not getting him, but what ever im not going to say any more good luck ricky, hope to see u in purple in 2011

85. By Nick on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

There’s no arguing with LF guys!!

86. By Z-MAN on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply