What Type Of Player Can You Get At #12

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 26, 2011 – 9:16 am

Although it’s not even certain the Vikings will stand pat with the #12 pick in the 1st round of Thursday’s NFL draft, let’s take a look at the history of the 12th overall pick and see what kind of player the Vikings might be able to find.

The last 5 years of the 12th pick has been quite impressive. The best of that bunch was taken back in 2006, when the Baltimore Ravens tabbed DT Haloti Ngata with the 12th pick. After that, though, the names don’t regress much. RB Marshawn Lynch went to the Bills in that slot during the 2007 draft, OT Ryan Clady to the Broncos in 2008, RB Knowshon Moreno to the Broncos in 2009 and in 2010 RB Ryan Mathews was the pick for San Diego.

If you go back further in history, impressive names remain. LBs Shawne Merriman (2005) and Jonathan Vilma (2004) are relatively recent picks, while QB Joe Namath (1965) and Vikings legend RB Chuck Foreman (1973) represent names from the past. Other impressive names include Shaun Ellis in 2000, Warrick Dunn in 1997, Warren Sapp in 1995, Trace Armstrong in 1989 and Clay Matthews in 1978.

I’ve compiled the full list of 12th overall picks in the NFL since the Vikings inception in 1961; you can view the list by clicking here.

Tags: ,

31 Responses to “What Type Of Player Can You Get At #12”

1. By Daniel on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

To me, the best players on that list is Ryan Clady, and Haloti Ngata, and Warren Sapp, Clay Matthews, and Joe Namath.
    The best players Available this year that is surrounded by hype for our 12th possition are Quinn, Bowers, Castonzo, tyron smith, Prince, Fairley, Jones,Jordan,Pouncy.Newton,Solder.
    Moving Down seems smart. Because IF the Vikes need that QB to compete with Webb, then moving down is key. If they like next years crop, and bring in Mcnabb, which looks like is going to happen, then I would say if Fairley is there, Grab him, and if not start up front and grab Anthony Castonzo. If we traded down then Mallett should get the chance. He does have great numbers.
    I saw a comment you made Mike on Aaron Williams CB out of Texas and I agree. If we could pick him in rd 2 for a cb/s. He is awsome and would be a perfect fit.

2. By Parody on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

That Clay Matthews reference threw me off. Apparantly, the NFL has had 3-Clay Matthews, two of them linebackers, and all are related. In fact, other than the names already mentioned, Clay Sr. also has a son who’s now a Hall of Famer, a grandchild who is a center for the Texans, and two more grandkids with a lot of promise playing in college.

What I wouldn’t give to be a part of that bloodline…

3. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings drafted the #1 offensive lineman in the entire draft in 1967. Ron Yary went on to have about 15 outstanding seasons for these MN Vikings.
    (Yary was also the top pick in the entire draft that year)

4. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Chuck Noll, Coach of four SB wins for the Steelers, liked DBs and Linemen the best.

The reason was that the only thing they have to play for is the team, and they usually have to do it without fanfare.

Even coaches get hung up on finding “That guy,” as if a man can stand alone against 11 other players.

That would be nice, but it’s not reality.

5. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Anyone can get to the top of a mountain, but no one makes it alone.

We need offensive linemen:

:) :) :) :) :)

6. By Daniel on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

You bet Fred.
    The line has to be improved.
    I have said it once and I will say it again. When we were at our best with the guys we have, Farve still got hammered. They bullrushed right through Herrera and Sullivan. Sullivan I think has great size (needs more bulk) and was a good center in Collage. Loadholt has been good, But Mckinnie is dropping fast.
    I don’t care if he plays tennis, or dances with the stars, or goes out for the bobsled team, He is past his prime! He cannot slide and mirror anymore. Not bad as a run blocker, But comeon Vikes!!!! We need a new guy in there. If he has one or two years left great, but we could get great value at Tackle this year at pick 12. And that also goes with corner too. Winfield is alot older than I thought. He is in great shape, but there came a time when we had to move on with Chavos too. We moved him to Saftey and got some good Value from that move. Move winfield till he expires, and pick up prince or smith.

7. By Dan on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

We can take all the o-line we want, it does no good without a leader under center. I’m not saying we don’t need an o-line but, getting a qb first and foremost is what we need. Oline can be drafted later on in the draft, o-line does not take on responsibilty of winning games through the final seconds. Yes manning, brady, brees have a good front to protect them but they are accurate qb’s as well. I don’t know if we can find that accurate qb in the draft, but mallett can mold into franchise qb if the vikings can develop him. I’d say mallett would bust in a raiders uniform for sure but with the vikings roster I doubt it.

8. By Nate on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Vikes need to play more of the spread offense, if you look at the stats we are not that bad in rush defense or pass defense. What is killing us is our pass offense the solution we need a qb, and a wideout I wouldn’t be upset if we landed julio jones. We need another wideout, Rice and Harvin is not going to cut it berrian needs to go. On offense A QB and WR on defense DE and Safety.

9. By OLD SCHOOL on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Jake Locker !

10. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

can we trade Berrian now that the lockout was lifted?

11. By Nick on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

In response to the headline, a guy named Ryan Mallet in case the Dolphins take him at no. 15.

12. By evan on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

i really think were good at de even if edwareds goes. OT is a must as well as Safety. Q carter or C. conte would be good picks at #2. I still think a qb is only as good as his oline and ours isnt up to par so we should lood for Pouncey or the kid outta F. state at guard.

13. By Mike on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

IF LOCKOUT IS OVER TRADE FOR KEVIN KOLB.

14. By bdl427 on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe no one is really talking about getting Prince Amukamara, for sure Peterson wont be there so why not get the next best corner? Winfield is getting older, Ced Griffin is a solid tackler but is injury prone in my opinion, maybe move him to safety? Everyone knows we’ve got a great run stopping D, but they also know we have one of the worst secondaries in the league. We have to get someone in the backfield bad. Everyone keeps saying go d-line but I say were fine, Jimmy Kennedy can fill in this year. I agree in the next couple years we go d-line but it isn’t a must this year like our backfield is. Even if we pick up a solid lineman in the 1st i’ll be happy, but then we must get a corner or safety in the second. The Qb’s are kinda questionable this year so I say we don’t take a risk on them and get McNabb in the free agency. These are just my opinions regardless what happens I’ll be happy. Go Vikes!

15. By Marv on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Pouncey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he will solidify the middle. You build your line from the inside out.

16. By fran on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

McNabb to learn Webb, and wait until next year.
    draft:
    1. CB: PETERSON OR AMUKAMARA
    2. LDE
    4. LOT
    5. QB
    5. RG
    6. WR
    6. DT OR S
    7. TE
    7. OLB-R
    free agency: McNabb, a 800 to 1,000 YARDS WR, AN STRONG OLB-R, HELP IN DT, A FREE S

17. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Cedric Griffen is ok but hes no lockdown corner, Winfield is a tackler and getting old, we dont know if Cook will pan out who knows if he gets suspended for the gun charge. safeties are both below average. Prince in purple sounds like a slice of heaven to me right now, ill take Raheeme Moore as well lets build a fantasy defense and start from there.

18. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

n dont get me started on Asher Allen… SMH..

19. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

IF patrick peterson falls to 7 dont rule out trading up for him, he is a one in a generation type of player.

20. By fran on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

5. RG
    6. WR
    6. DT OR S
    7. TE
    7. OLB-R

22. By Lito on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Vikes, don’t disappoint. I hope we do well in this coming draft. Good luck!

23. By bdl427 on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you Fran. But still if someone like Julio Jones is still up there, and Prince is not I say we take him. Percy needs to move back to the slot were he is best, and with Julio, Sidney and Percy it doesn’t really matter who’s throwing the ball. In the Free agency we need to get a OLB to fill in for Leber, atleast some kind of DB either a Safety or Corner, and a QB. I also think we should get rid of Berrian and M. Williams, they both were signed for way too much, I think with their contracts alone we could afford McNabb.

24. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Julio Jones would be nice if amukamara isnt there at 12. or swap 12 for 17 and our 43rd for 33rd. with the patriots. could pick up OL 1st round R. Moore at the top of the 2nd. maybe Pouncey at 17 i bet AP would love some lineman at least 1 might be smart. Berrian needs to be traded or have his contract restructered he is getting payed too much. M williams should be cut especially if we get a safety.

dont let the Lions get amukamara though, if Julio is there at 12 i am certain the Patriots will want to move up.

25. By LeRoy on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Drop back to 14, pick up a pick or two, then draft a QB like Dalton, Ponder or Kapernik. Don’t worry about the hyped QB’s . . . get a second tier system guy that will produce consistantly. If not that way, take O’ line like Pouncey or Costanzo.

26. By celticvikingwarrior on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@ FRAN–You want an opinion, hrtr you go: To draft Peterson we would have to trade up into the top 5 which would cost WAY TO MUCH-LUDICROUS, ABSURD…. PRINCE is somewhat over rated, he is a average tackler at best and does NOT rap up very well AT ALL, he does NOT like contact, he has VERY short arm’s, and only has 5 int.’s for his career, NONE this past season, granted they did not throw his way much, IN PART because he is pretty good in coverage, but seriously how many top QB’s or WR’s did he face this year ??? For my money he’s not worth the money at #12. There are some VERT good CB’s that can be had later. Aaron Williams TEXAS, Brangon Harris, MIAMI, and a guy I really like, Ras-I Dowling, VIRGINIA, and Jimmy Smith, COLORADO.(character issues though) ERIN HENDERSON will replace LEBER at olb- Thr VIKES will probably trade back afew spots to regain the 3rd RD pick “CHILLY” threw away. LDE early (1st pick?) becuse GRIFFEN is possibly gone due to 2 arrest’s this offseason. WATCH CAREFULLY for a “sleeper” WR by the name of RICARDO LOCKETTE of FORT VALLEY ST. and we signed EMANUEL ARCENOUX (sp) a leading WR from CANADA good size, hand’s AND goes over the middle, FEARLESS. For all tou McNABB lover’s out there, you will most likely get your wish, However it’s EXCEPTIONALLY SHORT SITED…(UNLESS he play’s backup to WEBB-doubtful) with McNABB at QB we win 6-10 games, say11 to be VERY generous, make the playoff’s and lose in the 1st or 2nd RD , B.F.D., that get’s us right nack in the middle of the draft next year with NO SHOT at the BEST QB PROSPECT of the last… well FOREVER, ANDREW LUCK !!! or even BARKLEY from U.S.C. And there we are right back where we are NOW with NO FRANCHISE QB for the next decade.I say start WEBB ALL YEAR, let’s see what he can do for a season, sign a relatively cheap, experienced, smart veteran as BACK UP ONLY, draft MALLET in the 2nd (or late 1st) win 3 or less, lose a whole bunch of hard fought bitterly contested CLOSE games and take you lump’s, giving MALLET some limited experience along the way, see how he handles NOT PLAYING MUCH and LEARNING from a vet. AND good QB coach (MUSGRAVE) and next do WHATEVER IT TAKES TO DRAFT ANDREW LUCK. EVEN IF MEANS PULLING A HERSCHEL WAKKER or DITKA (RICKY WILLIAMS) TYPE TRADE, which it won’t come to because we would only have to move up a couple spot’s, IF AT ALL. We then have the best young QB for a decade PLUS, not to mention a guy who, I BELIEVE has a chance to br an excellent QB on his own, MALLET, who we could then trade at the right time for MAXIMUM VALUE, or if he turm’s out to be EVERYTHING you want, trade LUCK. Either way we are set to COMPETE FOR A SUPER BOWL–WIN– FOR THE NEXT 15 year’s EVERY YEAR !!!

27. By celticvikingwarrior on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

p.s. Sorry to all for the spelling and gramatical error’s, not to mention making it ALL one paragraph. I’m going blind in my old age, and due to ay physical disability haven’t slept in 2-1/2 day’s, pain you know is a B_ _ _ _ ! SKOL VIKES

28. By richard on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

we jus need 2 win. plain nd simple.

29. By Daniel on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Good stuff celticvikingwarrior. You described that very well. Love every part of what you said. I don’t think we will get our hands on Mallett, unless it’s in the first though. But I like the thought. Who do you like as free agents?

30. By bdl427 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you celticvikingwarrior in a sense, but for you to say a guy is some what over rated like Prince is an opinion not a fact. I agree with you that with McNabb we will win 6-11 games but you could also say that for any team right now. Erin Henderson is good but I don’t think he is starter material yet. I would rather see Jasper Brinkley start OLB before Erin. But then again I would rather see a good free agent starting there. Aaron Williams in the 2nd round would be perfect as well, I think trade down in the first, pick up a good O lineman like Pouncey, and with trading down aquire a 3rd round pick as well. But to trade all of our picks away the following years for Luck sounds good, but then what would we have to fill our needs with then? Depend on free agency? I say we keep our picks and start rebuilding both the Lines the next comming years, we all know Hutch, McKinnie, Allen they’re getting up there in years, and who knows about Sullivan, Edwards, and Herrerra.

31. By justin on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

trade back to get pouncey take the best tackle in second and if we can get a 3rd round in trading back mallet will be there